Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E06: Kimmewah Kup

Oh my god, this is painful to watch.  Thankfully, my best friend would never act like Emma is acting at this age, but she did back in college (so had some excuse because of her age), and it was so infuriating.  The conversation when Emma accuses Maggie of not liking Dan and Maggie clarifies it's not Dan she dislikes, but Emma as she has become since getting with Dan ... been there, done that. 

Initially, Rabbi Dan was dead to me after crashing their trip.  Then he redeemed himself pretty well.  But, still.  How stupid to do it in the first place, and then take so long to realize it was a mistake.  (Emma is culpable as well, of course.)

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 6

I say this as a Rabbi Dan fan, but I actually gasped when he destroyed Maggie's jigsaw puzzle. I mean, it's one thing to be oblivious that you're crashing someone's special weekend, or to "help" out with something that no one needed your help on, but then to think the solution was to break up the puzzle? Has he not met people before? Who does that?

• Love 7

Dan is a dip, but my real concern is - WHY ONLY 8 EPISODES FOR THE WHOLE SEASON?!?!?! And also, HOW LONG AM I GOING TO HAVE TO WAIT FOR SEASON 3?!?!?! I LOVE THIS SHOW SO MUCH!!! Okay, I guess I'm done being yell-y.

• Love 6

Dan is a dip, but my real concern is - WHY ONLY 8 EPISODES FOR THE WHOLE SEASON?!?!?! And also, HOW LONG AM I GOING TO HAVE TO WAIT FOR SEASON 3?!?!?! I LOVE THIS SHOW SO MUCH!!! Okay, I guess I'm done being yell-y.

I had the same thought. I didn't realize it was only 8 episodes but I just kept thinking how can we be at the season finale already?? 

I'd like to believe that both Rabbi Dan and Emma are just still so in the throngs of the honeymoon phase that they aren't getting that they're so totally wrong. 

This episode felt a bit formulaic to me which this show usually isn't.  From the girls weekend being ruined by the oblivious new boyfriend to the rivalry with the weird twins, its been done before so I found everything a lot less funny.  Like everyone pointed out, at her age, Emma should know better.  I was all for Mark and Emma getting back together, but if this is how they plan to handle Maggie or Emma being in a long term relationship, I'd rather they went back to the plots involving the two of them getting into wacky hijinks together with the occasional side dude.

I will say though that I did love when Emma and Maggie were watching youtube clips of teens showing how to do make-up and Emma said "god bless their absentee mothers".

Why did Maggie and Emma have to go to the weird twins to get their boat back?  Couldn't they have just jumped in the lake and retrieved it themselves?

On a side note, I'm still not quite sure how I feel about the ads featuring the actors.  This time it showed them driving around in a car (funny that I don't even remember the brand) talking about voice commands.  On one hand it reminds me of the 50's where the commericals were baked right into the show, but on the other hand I hate product placements.

• Love 2

Only 8 episodes?!?!? Whyyyyyyy? I came to the Playing House party late but now love this show. I watched all of Season 1 and the current episodes On Demand this weekend. If you haven't watched it, take tomorrow off, stay in your pjs, gather up all the snacks you desire, make sure your remote has fresh batteries and watch this show. Do it!<br /><br />As much as I love this show, I have to admit that this episode is weak. But next episode, you guys.....soooo good.

• Love 1

I also thought it was quite weird that they didn't swim out to retrieve the boat, and that somehow sitting in the twin's hot tub was part of getting their help with boat retrieval.

I suspect we only get 8 episodes, and they are laden with extra-obvious product placement, because that's the only way the show got its renewal. Which is stupid, because the show is great. But I think not too many people know about it, and maybe StClair and Parham put this deal together as a last resort. It sort of reminds me of Chuck with the Subway sandwiches and other blatant product placements via show's stars doing commercials, so even though it's heavy handed, I am accepting it as better than no show at all.

This episode really was out of character and too predictably formulaic. It's not like them to be this way. I hope the finale takes them out on a high note and that the ratings are good enough to get us another season.

• Love 2

This episode just made my heart ache for Maggie the whole time. I was seething when Dan showed up and at Emma's not making him leave IMMEDIATELY after a glass of wine. Even though they named the boat after Charlotte and he helped them best their archenemies, still didn't make up for the precious time that was stolen. And I literally screamed "She worked on that for three years, you bastard" when I saw Dan finished the puzzle, immediately followed by "NOOOOOOOO! SHE WORKED ON THAT FOR THREE YEARS!!!" as he destroyed it. Having been both the third wheel Maggie and someone who understands what it's like when someone finishes something you have been putting so much time into, this was a painful episode to watch. I hope the final ones of the season get back to comedy, the reason we all love this show so very much.

• Love 3

Why did Maggie and Emma have to go to the weird twins to get their boat back?  Couldn't they have just jumped in the lake and retrieved it themselves?

I had to take a brief call right then, so assumed I missed an explanation.  There wasn't one?  Because, yeah, why not just swim on out to get it?

I was seething when Dan showed up and at Emma's not making him leave IMMEDIATELY after a glass of wine.

God, her being all excited to see him instead of "WTF are you doing here?" made me so angry.  It was bad enough he kept calling her - dude, you know she's on a trip with her friend, so unless it's an emergency just talk to her when she gets back - but to show up?

• Love 1
It was bad enough he kept calling her - dude, you know she's on a trip with her friend, so unless it's an emergency just talk to her when she gets back - but to show up?

That's why I was more annoyed with Dan than with Emma. He knew it was a girls' weekend. Is he really that insecure about the relationship with Emma? I guess so.

• Love 1

Yeah, not my favorite of the series.  I thought both Dan & Emma were so blind and deaf to all nuance.  Cringeworthy and made me mad on behalf of Maggie.

That said, the lemonade twins  --- and their sticky hot tub (ew!) were a fun touch.

And Emma's family must have money because a gorgeous lake house with water frontage is boo-coo bucks!

• Love 1

Maggie is also an adult so I found her at least partly to blame for not articulating her feelings instead just being passive aggressive. When they were leaving Maggie even said "it's too bad you can't come."

I can't tell you whom I hated more in this episode - Dan or Emma. Gaah. It pisses me off thinking about it again. Okay, Dan was a selfish insensitive idiot. Your girlfriend goes off on a trip with her friend. When has it EVER been okay for the boyfriend to infiltrate a girls' weekend?? What kind of moron would think that's okay? No matter what obviously insincere platitudes were given by Maggie. I think he just ignored reality, and went with whatever he wanted. But I still think Emma was worse - mostly because she owes more to Maggie. Emma is ridiculous, but getting so into a new guy that she completely shits over her bonding weekend? That was just - not a person who drops her life to help her friend raise a child. That's some other selfish self-centered creature all together.

They both redeemed themselves a little at the end, and the show is too cute/charming/funny to hate anyone too long, but man, the first 20 minutes really pissed me off.

• Love 3

Like most others here, I kind of hated this ep, and that makes me sad. I love this show! I guess I didn't really hate it, since there were funny parts, but it sure did make me very uncomfortable, and it's certainly the worst ep so far, and my least favorite.

I may have to watch again, but i thought maybe Emma knew Dan was going to show up, and that they planned it. Him calling every five minutes? Really? And Emma answering each time? Really? It was all preposterous and so distasteful, on every level. Very out of character for both of them, even if Emma can be very self-centered. This was just over the top.

I also don't buy the rabbi thing anymore. Him being a rabbi was cute at first, but doesn't fit anywhere now. It seems too unrealistic to me. I know, it's just a comedy, lighten up. :)

I seem to be the only one that didn't think this was weird.  Probably because I live in Florida and it is never a good idea to swim in our lakes.  I actually thought "don't do it" (jump in) when they were watching the boat drift off.  What I did find weird was people wearing long sleeved shirts and pants in the summer.  Emma's first outfit of pants and a sweater/hoodie-thing made me think it was fall so when Maggie  said something about swimming it took me a few minutes to remember that summer in other parts of the country is way different.