Type keyword(s) to search

S10.E18: Live Results 2

• Start Topic

That drove home how uniform the quality of the acts in this quarterfinal bracket were. Every time they showed the save percentages they were damn near split 1/3, 1/3, and 1/3. And Nick confirmed at the end that a few hundred votes made the difference.

Well, that was disappointing.

Freckled Sky knocked out. Ira voted in.

Damnit America.

I agree.

I like the ladder guy and I'm happy he made it through, but his act just scares the hell out of me.  I wish he could come up with something just as entertaining, but safer.

It sounds like you'll get your wish.  Didn't Heidi say he wasn't going to use the ladder in the next round?  It makes sense.  I don't know what he'll do but I think we've seen all he can do on the ladder.

• Love 1

He said yesterday that he would do something without the ladder if he made it through. The judges asked tonight how that would work since America voted for his ladder tricks. They went back and forth and he concluded that he would bring his ladder after all, but also something new.

Edited by Panopticon

Not gonna lie, I raised my fists in triumph when Ira won the save. That made me happy.

Also really happy that Uzeyer was voted thru. Looking forward to a hybrid ladder-something else act in the semifinals.

And we get musicians advancing out the wazoo again. Yay?

Emily and Harp man were awesome, but that could be just a reflection of my irrational love for the Moody Blues and that song.

So after next week we'll have a total of 21 semifinalists. Does that mean we are going to have 3 more Wild Cards acts to make 24? If so, I think Freckled Sky could be heard from again...

• Love 2

I guess I don't understand who those three acts are that they put up to save.  What part of the voting do they come in? I know they put seven acts through.  Did they come in 6th, 7th and 8th place in the voting? 

I was happy to see the Earth Harp back.  I think Emily West sang that song last year. I didn't care for her version then.  I still don't care for it. Something sounded wrong with her teeth.  Like she was lisping a little.  

Otherwise, no surprises here.  I knew they would pick the rock band over the dancers. 

I know America hates child acts and singers.  I wasn't sure if America was done with Arielle tonight or on a future elimination night. 

I guess I don't understand who those three acts are that they put up to save.  What part of the voting do they come in? I know they put seven acts through.  Did they come in 6th, 7th and 8th place in the voting?

Exactly.  Then officially their votes are thrown out, though I don't know if the judges know how the audience voted.

The Freckled Sky girl looked pissed that the judges didn't choose them.

I can see her point:  they were brought through on a Golden Buzzer, and then the judges DIDN'T vote for them; it would be mixed signals if you thought the Golden Buzzer was meaningful.  I was surprised myself; I don't see the attraction of 3 Shades of Blue, and the judges have historically liked screen-dancing.

If there is a judge's save to the semi-finals, they might get that.

• Love 2

Freckled Sky were aware they had given a sub-par performance and were in trouble, even saying as much in a pre-recorded piece.

No surprise about Myq not making it; you could tell from his face as he waited for the results that he feared it was over. As a fairly successful professional comedian (which I judge by the fact that even *I* had heard of him before), this must be really painful. He knew the judges and audiences liked his stuff, and this wasn't a matter of taste or talent - he just flat out failed to deliver.

Edited by A Boston Gal

Ira and Uzeyer made it through so I'm happy.  I didn't really love any of the rest of the acts.  

I thought the wax museum bit was hilarious. Granted had that happened to me someone would have had to resuscitate me because the reason that wax museums scare the crap out of me is that I'm afraid  they're going to come to life.  They just look to real.  

• Love 1

Glad Ira went through, but as someone else posted, it was kind of a low rent Muppets skit, and when Ira sang "It's Not Unusual" it didn't sound like "his" voice. I missed the personality, so I hope they get back to that. I'd like to hear more banter between Ira and Miriam and less music. But I loved the video clip. (Maybe because, like Ira, I also grew up in Queens).

I fear we're heading for a bunch of singers in the final, and I don't think any of them are that special. Sharon Irving may be unstoppable, as she checks all the boxes. Multiple sob stories (dead grandparents who raised her, singing to save the family house) plus inspirational song choices. That's a perfect AGT storm.

I hope Uzeyer ditches the ladder, as it's becoming boring to me. Even if the ladder is higher, it's the same trick. We keep seeing clips of him as Charlie Chaplin, so I'd like to see him do something that incorporates comedy.

Was glad for some of the audience rejections. As an experienced professional who totally bombed, Myq Kaplan was not deserving of another shot. Freckled Sky bored me. We've seen that exact concept (two dancers unable to connect) so many times. Never really liked DM Nation. Their act has a militaristic flavor I find unappealing. Also vaguely SM. (But maybe that's just me).

But not getting the judges going nuts for Siro-A while dismissing Animation Crew. They're both heavily dependent on visual effects, and Animation Crew may actually have better dance moves.

Edited by bluepiano
  • Love 1

I knew that 3 Shades of Blue would move onto next week. The judges are all tone deaf when it comes to this band. The lead singer is HORRIBLE. Plus they are no better than a local bar cover band. I definitely wouldn't shell out money to see them. Ira is adorable but it's not a million dollar act. I would chose the ventriloquist act this year over him in a heartbeat. All the singers were mediocre this week. I don't think any of them deserved to go through. If the girl singing opera continues to push her voice like this she won't have one for much longer. The duo(CLB?) was awful. The higher of the two was consistently under the pitch and the other guy didn't bring any soul to the song. The last girl doesn't have a phenomenal voice and to me she did more speak singing than she did actual singing. But thanks to the backstory bs she got through. The magician that got through was good but the trick was dull and he lacks the charisma that last years magician/winner had. Freckled sky was boring this week and it wasn't anything I couldn't see if I watched So You Think You Can Dance. This show is supposed to be finding a million dollar act. At the end of the day I can with confidence say that I would not pay to see any of this weeks people perform in Vegas. If I'm going to see a show in Vegas I'm going to shell out the money to see a pro singer before I go to see any of these people. 

• Love 3

Well, that was disappointing.

Freckled Sky knocked out. Ira voted in.

Damnit America.

I couldn't believe it when Mel B and Howard said Freckled Sky didn't really bring it. Especially Howard's clueless statement that Freckled Sky wasn't relating to the visuals in the background. What?? Is he blind? I was grabbed from the very beginning. That was extraordinarily heartfelt, IMO. Bah, humbug.  Again, IRA????? Please.

• Love 2

The wax skit was really, really, well done.  And FUNNY!  Of course Howard had better things to be doing.

I loved Earth Harp in its season, but this time I could only think of how much of the music was tracked (pre-recorded and played back) and how the singer's tonality was all wrong.  If I were a jidge, I would give the classic AGT advice to dump the singer in order to save the act.

TPTB also are doing a nice job with the packages that lead these results shows.  I especially enjoy the audio snippets from the jidges as they watch the acts.

Question:  If regurgitator guy uses Dunkin Munchkins in his act next week, does he get the buzzer of fate and a straight ticket to the Finale?

• Love 1

I'm not getting the Ira thing.   The judges praise the act, but it's a puppet show!   A funny one, at times, but the musical number was not very good.  I got bored, and felt like I was watching a Sesame Street or Muppets segment.   Vegas Headliner?  how?

• Love 2

Not really any surprises. This week wasn't as strong as last week, so there weren't too many that I was really pulling for. Happy for Uzeyer and Derek, and Ira just makes me smile.

At this point in the game, there's still a lot of mediocrity that needs to be weeded out (read: singers), so I can't get too worked up about subpar acts getting through, especially when there's no one that I would prefer had gotten through over them. There are more spots in the semis than acts that I would like to see again, so I don't get too upset over the results at this stage unless someone I really think deserved to go through gets cut.

I loved the wax museum bit, it looked like fun.

• Love 2

I was so relieved when Ladder Guy said he do something different next time (I was terrified he'd fall from that tall ladder) and then Mel B had to go and convince him to do the ladder again.  I just hope it's the smaller ladder.