Type keyword(s) to search

S10.E02: Dance Your Heart Out

bigskygirl
  • Start Topic

Colby has this smugness with her glances and smiles that makes her come off so fake and untrustworthy.

Yes! Courtney is also getting on my nerves and I don't know if she is overplaying it. When I saw her jumping around at the end, it crossed my mind that maybe she's trying to be the bubbly one with the personality that the team loves and can't be without like Mackenzie Lee and Jordan Chandler. However, those two seemed genuinely who they were.

• Love 5

I still like Taylor, she speaks well on camera and she is pretty. I hate that the veterans got cut. However, IMO I can sort of agree with the judges hesitation on bringing them back. Jasmine: I love her but she was not on her "A" game, but in her defense they have brought several vets back that did not deserve it. Breelan: yea she did look a little heavy but she could of lost those few pounds in TC, however she is not the best dancer so adding another issue like weight to the pile just did her in. Ashley: I'm a bit confused on her, she almost fell during her solo but she managed to save herself. She looked a bit off on the field and her costume didnt flatter her. 

Colby is hard to look at...sorry. I just love Holly, Courtney and Megan. Did you guys see that amazing trick that Amy T did. Kitty almost had a heart attack and so did I.

• Love 1

Funny how so many seemed to love Courtney on the first episode and now suddenly can't stand her. Melissa loves her so I am sure she will be her new pet project this year. 

Also, why do so many on here say that they know how hard Caila worked on her dance. We never really even saw her so far, so how does everyone know she was working so hard on it?

Funny how so many seemed to love Courtney on the first episode and now suddenly can't stand her. Melissa loves her so I am sure she will be her new pet project this year.

Also, why do so many on here say that they know how hard Caila worked on her dance. We never really even saw her so far, so how does everyone know she was working so hard on it?

Her Instagram has a lot of videos of different dance classes she attended, not just dcc classes. Breelan and Ashley only ever post bikini and partying pics.
  • Love 1

ChlcGirl the video was on the Dallas Cowboys proper site (not DCC) under the "Cheerleader" section which doesn't really make any sense, but there you go. It's mostly video and photo galleries of the promotional events and USO things that the ladies do in conjunction with the players.

You see Danielle holding up the magazine as the header.

Didn't someone post this video a few weeks ago on the media thread? I watched it.

Caila does have a ton of dance class videos if you look at her social media. I want to give Breelan and Ashley Pro the benefit of the doubt and say they probably took classes too and just didn't post videos? I don't know, lol.

I have to say though, I think Caila was a much better dancer from the get go than she was given credit for. I think she had confidence issues last year, probably because she was one of the younger ones, but underneath all that she had the training and the ability. I think she's just come out of her shell now. She was painted in a somewhat negative light last year, so I hope they'll show us some positives this year.

• Love 4

Her Instagram has a lot of videos of different dance classes she attended, not just dcc classes. Breelan and Ashley only ever post bikini and partying pics.

Ah I see. I checked it out. She's a great dancer! Ashley sure could have benefited from classes as well as Breelan who might have been in better shape if she'd done so.

DCCFAN71 you're right..someone already posted that.

As far as Ashley and Breelan, I do know that they took dance/dcc prep classes but I guess they don't feel the need to document everything on Instagram. It's clear that some took it more seriously than others though.

• Love 1

I was surprised at the lack of vets clustered around the 3 eliminated like we have seen previously.  Breelan appeared ditzy when she had to think about what being a DCC meant to her.  Come on!!  That was a softball question and she couldn't even answer it.  Jasmine's solo was embrassing and she and Ashley both were not good on the field.  Didn't Breelan wear almost the identical unflattering costume last year also?  Actually I thought it was the same one.

I'm don't get why they say Colby is too skinny when Ashley Nicole is more alarmingly thin and she was not that thin her rookie year. Colby's facial expression is unpleasant to watch and she is muscular in a way that isn't flattering in the uniform but it's not a too skinny thing.

Ashley N IS "alarmingly" thin. I noticed that too. Also, the "Caila has the best body" is debatable since everyone has their own idea of what "best" means. In my opinion, Jacie has my interpretation of the "best" body.

I could be completely full of crap, but I was under the impression that if the fan vote winner is someone K&J would not have taken into TC, the winner is just an extra person who makes it to TC.

I don't think there's any design on who wins the fan vote. In designing the contest, there couldn't be. Any candidate who makes finals is eligible to win the fan vote, regardless of dance skill. The intent was that the winner was guaranteed a spot in TC as opposed to the possibility of their name not being called. There's no way to rig the contest to ensure only that someone would win who wouldn't otherwise have made it.

So far:

Vivian won in S8 - Kelli said she might not have made TC without the vote.

Loren won in S9 - and she would have made TC even without the fan vote.

Colby won in S10 - from the judges and K/J/C reaction, she probably wouldn't have made TC without the fan vote.

The fan vote is always gonna be a toss up on who can marshal the most friends and family votes!  :D

This has always confused me as well.  The fact that a person can tap dance, or dance lyrically, or do ballet, seems completely unrelated to whether they can dance in the "DCC style."  I wonder how much the solos are weighted in the judging, as compared to some of the other criteria.

My parents lived in London for about 4 years -- they didn't acquire any kind of accent at all.  Once when they were back in the U.S. for a visit, we went out to eat and our waitress had an accent very similar to Colby's.  We were so intrigued about the accent, that we finally asked if she was from the U.K.  She said that she had an "affiliation" for England.  Bottom line:  after some gentle questioning, it came out that she had never been outside of Florida...she just always wanted to go there!  :-) 

I think there's a double standard for the solos. Kelli says this is a chance for the girls to "show off" their skills and what they do best. But I think the candidates should interpret that as what they do best that can showcase a DCC style. There are some girls that can get away with a totally "not DCC" dance, like Danielle with her breakdancing style, Jenna with her moon walk etc. But we don't see anyone's entire solo so we don't know how much DCC style is incorporated into everyone's routine as a whole. 

Acquiring and not acquiring an accent is a personal, individual thing. As we're all not clones of one another, it stands to reason that some people's ear is more attuned to accents and adopting them than other people. My dad picked up a Texas accent real quickly while I simply refused, so didn't end up with an accent at all. Everyone's different! :)

Kaedee, that's not at all what they're saying.  Bottom line, there are two scenarios for handling the fan vote.  Consider the following example:

Kelly says they'll take "X" number of girls into training camp.  "Person A" wins the fan vote.  Assuming Person A wouldn't have made it otherwise, do they still only take X number of girls, meaning one of the girls who would have otherwise made it now got bumped by Person A OR do they just add one to X, meaning they take X+1 girls.  

I think it's the latter because on the last episode, Kelli said they'd take 45 girls.  Well, they ended up taking 46.  I think this is because they wouldn't have picked Colby otherwise.  If that's true (i.e., they wouldn't have taken her on her own), if they kept it at 45, that means one of the girls who would otherwise make it would have got bumped--which seems unfair.

• Love 3

I think the solos are a way for girls to show their performance abilities in their comfort zone. It reveals personality and style in addition to skills. And aside from show group, they do take advantage of abilities for special performances such as Halloween and the pink ribbon halftime. In Halloween, Jen Kat, Kinzie, and Sam were clearly featured with some strong moves as the center with others doing something else.

- Did Charlotte really make the comment that Kashara has a "larger saddle than most"? I'm assuming she was referring to her ass.

She has used this turn of phrase in previous seasons. I think it is an attempt to be polite and speak of a girl's horse and saddle rather than her actual "ass" or " butt", which I myself have trouble with (sounding crass). I always try to say "rear" or "bum". But let's face it anytime you are talking about someone's backside it is hard to not sound rude.

-I am surprised no one mentioned Robin. I loved her natural hair and she seems very fun. I hope to see more of her in future episodes. Or maybe I should hope I see very little of her, which means she is solid and will actually make the team! Lol

Edited by mardo4
  • Love 2

She has used this turn of phrase in previous seasons. I think it is an attempt to be polite and speak of a girl's horse and saddle rather than her actual "ass" or " butt", which I myself have trouble with (sounding crass). I always try to say "rear" or "bum". But let's face it anytime you are talking about someone's backside it is hard to not sound rude.

My comment was really more cynical. I knew what she was getting at. I just find Charlotte so unpleasant and some of the things she says to be so nasty. The one that bothered me the most was, "What are you feeding these vets during the off season." Like, it's fine if you want to say someone is heavy, but do you really have to take it to the level of "THIS ONE HAS A HUGE BUTT!"?

• Love 1

There's no way to rig the contest to ensure only that someone would win who wouldn't otherwise have made it.

I didn't mean to imply that the vote was rigged, I just meant that since they knows who wins the fan vote before TCCs are chosen, I was under the impression that if the winner was a "no" vote from K&J for TC they take an extra girl.

ETA: Or what Smplsimon just said :)

Edited by ByTor

I sure would like to know who was really called last into training camp -- it clearly wasn't Madeline as I could see several vets still in their seats as she made her way up front.

Does it matter in anyway the order that people are called? Like is the person that is called first the strongest and the person last barely made it by the skin of their teeth?

No, it doesn't matter, but I'm still curious.  I wish they would at least do them in order, because the tension in the room builds until the very last person--thus, seeing the last one called shows us the room at it it's most tense and it's saddest (realizing that nobody else will make it at that point).

• Love 1

If you look at her pics from the calendar shoot, she did appear a bit "whoa..she's tiny." There's a video in particular that brought it to my attention when they were on the beach.

Muscular doesn't = manly..but to each his own. I think she (Jacie) looks fantastic.

Kaedee, that's not at all what they're saying.  Bottom line, there are two scenarios for handling the fan vote.  Consider the following example:

Kelly says they'll take "X" number of girls into training camp.  "Person A" wins the fan vote.  Assuming Person A wouldn't have made it otherwise, do they still only take X number of girls, meaning one of the girls who would have otherwise made it now got bumped by Person A OR do they just add one to X, meaning they take X+1 girls.  

I think it's the latter because on the last episode, Kelli said they'd take 45 girls.  Well, they ended up taking 46.  I think this is because they wouldn't have picked Colby otherwise.  If that's true (i.e., they wouldn't have taken her on her own), if they kept it at 45, that means one of the girls who would otherwise make it would have got bumped--which seems unfair.

Oh!  I see. So if someone makes the fan vote who doesn't have a chance at making the team, Kelli et al go ahead and add their 45 girls +1.  Yeah, I think that makes sense.

ByTor - I never thought you were saying it was rigged. Sorry if my answer implied that! I was just saying that when fans are voting en masse like that, there's really no way to rig it, thus K/J can't control who gets the vote.  Okay, did that make sense? I think that was a run-on sentence, or run-on thought. lol

Smplsimon and MyFavShows: Regarding the discussion on order of invitation - I used to think the candidates were brought into TC in order of strength and number of "yeses" by the judges. But I've revised my thoughts on that. Remember when Ashton Torres made the team? She was one of the few who got unanimous "yeses" by the judges, and she was invited into TC in the last 5, something like that. I don't think every candidate above her got unanimous yes votes. So that's when I threw my theory that candidates are invited into TC by yes/maybe/no averages out the window! :D

Edited by Kaedee

ByTor - I never thought you were saying it was rigged. Sorry if my answer implied that! I was just saying that when fans are voting en masse like that, there's really no way to rig it, thus K/J can't control who gets the vote.  Okay, did that make sense? I think that was a run-on sentence, or run-on thought. lol

Haha no need to apologize for your answer! By the way, you're talking to the queen of run-on thoughts here :)
  • Love 1

Ok here's my yearly "Why 'She Stole XXXs Spot in Training Camp' Doesn't Hold Water: Fan Vote Mean Nothing to Anyone But Fans" Speech:

1) They've never quite explained why the show edits the way girls are called into camp. Sometimes a clip will show a girl being called in, then 2 seconds later she's still in a chair, then she's beside others standing there. Not sure what the rhyme or reason of how they're numbered, called in, what's shown on tv, etc.

2) Let's say they choose 36 girls on the team. 24 vets return. That leaves 12 wide open spots, then a few for vets cut during camp. 

3) Now let's say 48 girls are invited into camp, including the 24 vets. Let's say no vets get cut. That means 24 new girls are fighting for a minimum of 12 spots, so 12 will get cut.

4) So if out of the 24 girls invited into camp, even if the fan vote is so bad that she can't do the box step, looks like Buddha, shows up late and has no idea what a touchdown is, 23 girls would have to be cut for her to make it on the team. 

5) So.....if the fan vote is terrible, she isn't stealing a spot from anyone who'd make it, unless 23 other girls really screwed up. 

6) And.......out of the 12 open spots, 12 of the 24 rookie candidates are going to have to be cut before the 25th person would make it into camp. If you're number 25, 12 girls will have to bite the dust before you get the last spot on the team, so.....no one half-hearted, quitting, withdrawing, etc., who made it in is really effecting those who didn't make it in.

• Love 1

It seems to be that often the calling of the last 5 TC candidates, particularly the last one is about putting out specific point such as you were DEAD LAST in the group such as Natalie, the one pageant sisters, etc.  I think they carefully consider who to put first (from being very talented to being a favorite) and who to b put last.  It is like the person who is the first to perform a solo.  It is not the first person in line who is usually just a candidate but a specific veteran who can delivery a strong and memorable solo.  My favorite was Nicole Hamilton.

I would love to see how all the girls rank entering TC, maybe mid-way through, and then at the end.

Maybe just how the rookies rank entering, then mixed in with vets mid-way, then at the end. I wonder if the girls have any idea where exactly they stand during TC.

I would love to see how all the girls rank entering TC, maybe mid-way through, and then at the end.

Maybe just how the rookies rank entering, then mixed in with vets mid-way, then at the end. I wonder if the girls have any idea where exactly they stand during TC.

They kind of showed the power ranking on the first night of training camp in season 3, which was the year that Nicole Hamilton fell low because of her failed test, and Erica Jenkins because of her weight and finals solo. But we never got to see it clearly, and they haven't shown that again since. I wish they would but I probably wouldn't want that shown if I was one of the weaker TCC's, or vets for that matter. There was a rookie that year that was ranked pretty high but I can't remember who it was for the life of me. Edited by Oranaiche
  • Love 2

I don't think there's any design on who wins the fan vote. In designing the contest, there couldn't be. Any candidate who makes finals is eligible to win the fan vote, regardless of dance skill. The intent was that the winner was guaranteed a spot in TC as opposed to the possibility of their name not being called. There's no way to rig the contest to ensure only that someone would win who wouldn't otherwise have made it.

So far:

Vivian won in S8 - Kelli said she might not have made TC without the vote.

Loren won in S9 - and she would have made TC even without the fan vote.

Colby won in S10 - from the judges and K/J/C reaction, she probably wouldn't have made TC without the fan vote.

The fan vote is always gonna be a toss up on who can marshal the most friends and family votes!  :D

I think Kelli said that Vivian would've made it w/o the fan vote.  Am trying to find it in Season 8 and still attend a birthday party. ( Yum!! Tresleche cake and ice cream, and the dinner looks like Thanksgiving.  It's for a grandchild..)

I think Kelli said that Vivian would've made it w/o the fan vote. Am trying to find it in Season 8 and still attend a birthday party. ( Yum!! Tresleche cake and ice cream, and the dinner looks like Thanksgiving. It's for a grandchild..)

She did. Vivian and Loren both would have according to Kelli, but Colby definitely wouldn't have. I'm wondering if they'll tell her that the first time Colby goes into the office.

• Love 2

I think Kelli said that Vivian would've made it w/o the fan vote.  Am trying to find it in Season 8 and still attend a birthday party. ( Yum!! Tresleche cake and ice cream, and the dinner looks like Thanksgiving.  It's for a grandchild..)

Cake! Yum. :D 

So Vivian made it without the fan vote too. I'd forgotten that. S8 isn't one of my favorite seasons, so I don't re-watch it all that often.  So I'd forgotten that Kelli told Vivian she made it without the fan vote. Cool.

And thanks, Oranaiche, for the confirmation too! So we have 2 fan votes where the candidate would have made TC anyway, and Colby who probably wouldn't have made it. Not a bad voting track record.

• Love 2

I was very sad for Ashley Pro watching the end of the episode, she definitely seemed the most upset out of the 3 vets cut. I understand them cutting her given what they showed on tv but very sad. And poor Danielle having to watch Jasmine get cut.

LOVED that we saw so much of Melissa's solo and that Kelli compared her to Emmitt Smith. After Angela she's my favorite.

Of the new girls I'm a Holly fan big time and I predict Colby will not get the "you would have made the squad anyway" speech that Loren and Vivian received in year's past. She might even be the first girl cut if the judges at finals were anything to go by.

One thing that surprised me was how little we saw of Christina after she made it to training camp last year. Outside of that brief judges flub we barely saw her. I think it's interesting how we never saw her kick (aside from that blip in last week's ep) considering that's mostly why she got cut.

Looking forward to Training Camp.

Edited by SanLynn
  • Love 2

She did. Vivian and Loren both would have according to Kelli, but Colby definitely wouldn't have. I'm wondering if they'll tell her that the first time Colby goes into the office.

Remember when Kelli told Danielle that she wasn't originally picked at first but they changed their minds. Kelli told her she was going to have to bust ass to make the team. They should do the same with Colby.

Edited by MrsEVH
  • Love 1

Colby has this smugness with her glances and smiles that makes her come off so fake and untrustworthy.

I rewatched both episodes to see if I could learn to like Colby and I couldn't find any reason to beyond a decent (but not great) body.  I agree with you that she often comes across as smug, fake and untrustworthy.  The accent, I think, was what started making me dislike her so much as if it's an affect that she puts on and takes off when it suits her needs.  Her personality (what little I've seen of it) makes me cringe as she's bland, arrogant, and "Look how GREAT I am!".  In addition, she seems entitled, like she should be given a spot on the team because she's who she is.  I know we've seen a few girls previously who show that entitlement attitude and it's usually smacked out of them pretty well.  Kelly and Judy usually seem to know who the "entitled" girls are and come down on them pretty hard to see if it can be knocked out of them.  If it can be, they might make the squad.  If not, they're sent packing.

If I was in the spot of whoever got fan vote, I'd be working my ass off to stay in Training Camp, to prove that I belong there and hope that, while I was grateful for the help and support, I didn't need it to get there.  She'd better work her tailfeathers off to stay there, especially if she gets told that she wouldn't have made it into Training Camp without it.  That would be a MASSIVE blow to the ego, knowing that I wasn't good enough to get there on my own.

Edited by EricaShadows
  • Love 2

They kind of showed the power ranking on the first night of training camp in season 3, which was the year that Nicole Hamilton fell low because of her failed test, and Erica Jenkins because of her weight and finals solo. But we never got to see it clearly, and they haven't shown that again since. I wish they would but I probably wouldn't want that shown if I was one of the weaker TCC's, or vets for that matter. There was a rookie that year that was ranked pretty high but I can't remember who it was for the life of me.

Girl....I can't tell you how many times I paused and zoomed trying to read that pyramid. If I remember, it was kind of blurred and tilted on a white board? My guess would be Whitney I. or Brittany Evans as start rookie.

• Love 3

Girl....I can't tell you how many times I paused and zoomed trying to read that pyramid. If I remember, it was kind of blurred and tilted on a white board? My guess would be Whitney I. or Brittany Evans as start rookie.

I think it was Brittany Evans actually.

Poor girl.  Still, Melissa had a point.  What DID she expect going into the first night?  For most of them, it's going to be a different style of dance then they're used to, the stakes are higher (as they know that they could get cut at any moment and that there's no guarantee they're still going to be there at the end), and it's going to be going a lot faster than they're used to.  I feel sorry for her as we've seen the TCC have a lot thrown at them in a short period of time  However, if she can't handle it, then maybe she's not cut out for the team.  I also don't think she has the DCC look (that hair color absolutely do NOT do her any favors and she needs a makeover BIG time) and I seem to remember the judges weren't that favorable towards her either as they seemed surprised she was that high up in the fan vote.

BTW, did the third girl (I think her name was Jax) make it into training camp?  I can't remember seeing her there in the pictures of the TCCs I've seen.

Breelan appeared ditzy when she had to think about what being a DCC meant to her.  Come on!!  That was a softball question and she couldn't even answer it.

I agree. She must have been asked that question before, even by her friends. Jasmine, on the other hand, I could see getting tripped up by a political question. It would be tough to know whether to answer it seriously, or with a funny answer. But I think she did a good job of it.

I also thought Jacie looked fantastic! Just beautiful and toned and poised.

They kind of showed the power ranking on the first night of training camp in season 3, which was the year that Nicole Hamilton fell low because of her failed test, and Erica Jenkins because of her weight and finals solo. But we never got to see it clearly, and they haven't shown that again since. I wish they would but I probably wouldn't want that shown if I was one of the weaker TCC's, or vets for that matter. There was a rookie that year that was ranked pretty high but I can't remember who it was for the life of me.

I recall in one season for the first meeting, they had the lower scoring TCCs from audition sitting closer to the front of the room. There were a few vets sitting amongst that crowd, but I can't remember who. It was sad to see those vets become crestfallen when Kelli explained the seating arrangement.

And was it Megan, during her solo, that they said she would be ready to be a DCC right then and there (or something like that)? The only other person I remember them saying was just as good as the vets during her rookie season try out was Mackenzie Lee.

• Love 1