Type keyword(s) to search

S10.E02: Dance Your Heart Out

bigskygirl
  • Start Topic

Speaking of twinning, Amy T reminds me of Melissa.

As for Neal, he is a little creepy, but I thought the nice eyes was funny. And he won points with me by being the only person to be kind and sympathetic to Ashkey Paige in the panel interview. He just has that leer...the other male judges comment on looks also but don't come across the same way.

• Love 2

I don't see any of them in the Ice Girls instagram..?

So, I'm terrible, but my favorite TV moment of the year is seeing the vets who get cut. That is great TV. The only one I'm sad to see go is Breelan. Even thought that girl has ruined her neck with her petrified/"eeek" facial expressions. When they first started showing her at prelims last year, I thought she must be chubby because of her weird big neck, but no, it's just wrecked from those faces she makes, and those lines that run across her throat. I couldn't believe the weight gain, since besides for that neck she was extremely tiny last year.

Jasmine I never had an opinion on. I never got the love for Ashley. IMO she wasn't as pretty as her near-twin Melissa. To me she just looked like a small hick town cheerleader. /shrug

They are part of the Allen American Ice Angels; not the Dallas Ice Stars :) 

-I am surprised no one mentioned Robin. I loved her natural hair and she seems very fun. I hope to see more of her in future episodes. Or maybe I should hope I see very little of her, which means she is solid and will actually make the team! Lol

I like Robin, too! Very cute!

Robin is great! She might be another "favorite"...but just FYI..her "natural hair" is actually a weave...curly weave but it still looks good. 

They are part of the Allen American Ice Angels; not the Dallas Ice Stars :)

AH I see.  Wow, so I wonder what Auto Amy's fiancé situation is, did he move down here?  Was he from here?  I can't believe she would stay down here for something as minor as a hockey team in Allen. 

Speaking of twinning, Amy T reminds me of Melissa.

As for Neal, he is a little creepy, but I thought the nice eyes was funny. And he won points with me by being the only person to be kind and sympathetic to Ashkey Paige in the panel interview. He just has that leer...the other male judges comment on looks also but don't come across the same way.

YES!! Amy T and Melissa remind me sooo much of each other...brainy blondes who are great dancers and also beautiful lol  

And Neal doesn't bug me too much either.  I agree with someone else who said maybe he is there to give the girls an idea of some of the creepy older men who will be making inappropriate comments on their pictures and stuff LOL  

Glad to see that Melissa's solo was awesome again this year. She is one of the few girls from last year who I thought had really excellent technique.

Did you guys see that amazing trick that Amy T did. Kitty almost had a heart attack and so did I.

Loved seeing Amy the scientist do Blake's signature leap into a forward roll. That was in the opening credit of SYTYCD for years! His was much cleaner though. She had her front leg bent which was really noticeable when they showed it from the side. I like her though so I hope she does well in training camp!

Taylor's kicks were way too low. I think her solo is what saved her because Kelli totally loved it. I agree with Melissa R's assessment of Kat - sometimes when you are really flexible, you don't hit the movements as hard and it ends up looking sloppy. And when you combine that with the rhythmic gymnastics background, which is very smooth and elegant, she might not be a good fit with the DCC style.

Auto Amy's solo was terrible though, even without the potential wardrobe malfunction. It looked bad at Kitty's and it looked bad during finals. Maybe her wardrobe malfunction ended up being a blessing in disguise because the judges were so distracted by her boob almost popping out that most of them didn't remember how bad her dancing was. And Neal McCoy even gave her the benefit of the doubt, thinking that her costume issue is what distracted her. That's sweet of you, Neal, but no. Her kicks were low too.

Of the vets, Jasmine and Ashley Pro really noticeable mistakes during finals while Breelan had a noticeably softer jiggly middle. While I want the girls to maintain healthy weights, I have to agree with Melissa R - why would any of these girls show up not in the best possible shape? Jasmine was never a great dancer in my opinion, so I am fine with her finally being cut.

Neal McCoy's comment about Madeleine from Utah might have seemed harsh, but it's true. A makeover will not change her face. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with her face, for the record, but I don't think that changing her hair color and shaping her eyebrows is going to be enough to give her the DCC look that Kelli & co. want from the girls who make the team. I still remember reading an interview with Hugh Hefner ages ago where he said the first thing he looks for when approving girls to appear in Playboy is a pretty face. His reasoning was that you can airbrush a lot of things, but you can't change someone's face. I'm surprised that Madeleine was so close to winning the fan favorite spot for training camp. I know she had Utah mobilized to vote for her, but the judge's question during interviews was valid: is she (and are her fellow Mormons) okay with her wearing that skimpy uniform and shaking her money maker? I laughed when she said that as long as you wear it with grace and poise, it's fine.

Why the hell does Colby use that fake British accent when she even told she is originally from Texas and only moved to London after college?! No one who is born in the US suddenly acquires a British accent just from living over there for a few years. That's ridiculous and she sounds idiotic when she talks.

Another example: Mark Ballas on DWTS who moved to the UK to train in ballroom. For the first few seasons on DWTS, he sounded totally American but in the most recent season his British accent would pop out at the most random moments.

I thought it was really unfair to "accuse" her of a loyalty to Kansas City. You cut her two years ago ; did you expect her to move to Texas anyway?

ITA - if she didn't make the squad, why should she be expected to live in Texas for another year while waiting to audition again? That has nothing to do with loyalty. It's called being practical.

As for the girls who cry about "wanting this more than anyone else" or "working harder than anyone else". . . girl, you might have worked your skinny little behind off doing everything you could, but that doesn't mean you worked harder or wanted it more than EVERYONE else.  There are girls out there who worked just as hard as you did (maybe harder in some areas because that's where they had more issues to deal with), but you just insulted every other girl out there who didn't make Training Camp (or the squad) because you just said they didn't make it because they didn't "want" it enough or didn't "work" hard enough to get it when the same could be said of you when you didn't make Training Camp or the squad.  Wanting it is great because that means you'll put the work and the time in, but maybe you just didn't have what it took this year due to weight, look, dance ability, whatever.

One of my pet peeves on reality shows is when people say that they want this more than anyone else or they have more heart than anyone else. First of all, how do you know that? Is there some magical machine that I'm just unaware of where you can measure how much you want something and then compare it to how much someone else wants the same thing? Nope. But more importantly, I don't care how much you want it. All I care about is the end product. Depending on the show, are you a good dancer/singer/designer/chef? If not, it doesn't matter how much you want it. You shouldn't get put on the field if you aren't as good as everyone else no matter how much you want it.

• Love 4

I'm surprised that Madeleine was so close to winning the fan favorite spot for training camp. I know she had Utah mobilized to vote for her, but the judge's question during interviews was valid: is she (and are her fellow Mormons) okay with her wearing that skimpy uniform and shaking her money maker? I laughed when she said that as long as you wear it with grace and poise, it's fine.

One of my pet peeves on reality shows is when people say that they want this more than anyone else or they have more heart than anyone else. First of all, how do you know that? Is there some magical machine that I'm just unaware of where you can measure how much you want something and then compare it to how much someone else wants the same thing? Nope. But more importantly, I don't care how much you want it. All I care about is the end product. Depending on the show, are you a good dancer/singer/designer/chef? If not, it doesn't matter how much you want it. You shouldn't get put on the field if you aren't as good as everyone else no matter how much you want it.

Loved pretty much everything you said but these two paragraphs especially... regarding Madeline and being a Mormon, I know that most of the girls on the team are professing Christians and some would argue it goes against Biblical principles to willingly be a sex symbol (I remember on Kelsi Reich's blog she talked about how she would pray before games that men would appreciate the performance and not look at her with lust...welllll, okkkkkk???) but Mormons, from what I know, are even more strict.  I believe the women even wear special undergarments under their clothes, besides regular underwear, to be extra modest? I am just not sure how they would find the DCC uniform and lifestyle appropriate.  BUT I do not claim to be an expert on the Mormon religion so very good chance I'm mistaken and that's no longer a big deal to them.

And yes, the "I want this so bad/worked so hard" is an eye roller at this point.  I know Miss Kitty is controversial but loved how she called out a girl once during TC like, "why should we not cut you tonight?" and the girl was like "because I'm working really hard" and Miss Kitty said, yeah, not good enough...so is everyone else, am I right, ladies?  TRUTH. 

• Love 3

-I am surprised no one mentioned Robin. I loved her natural hair and she seems very fun. I hope to see more of her in future episodes. Or maybe I should hope I see very little of her, which means she is solid and will actually make the team! Lol

LOL that's not her "natural" hair.

Practicing Mormons are pretty conservative. There were some at my high school who were always covered from neck to ankle. But I also knew Mormons who drank alcohol, had premarital sex, got divorced, etc. so I guess it just depends on how much you want to follow the rules, just like any other religion. My confusion is less about Madeline's personal feelings about wearing such a skin exposing uniform (since obviously she must be okay with it if she's auditioning) and more about getting other Mormons who may be more conservative to vote for her. Then again, Mormons seem to make an exception for skin baring when it comes to dance costumes (see: all the ballroom and competition dancers who are from Utah). In any case, the special Mormon garments (or magical underwear as they are often called by non-Mormons) are not worn by women until they get married in the temple or go on a mission. Since Madeleine is only 18 (or am I getting her mixed up with one of the other dark haired girls?), she most likely hasn't done either yet so she wouldn't be required to wear the teample garments (aka the Mormon underwear - for women it's basically a t-shirt and bike shorts).

As for how much you want something, I am willing to concede that if you are willing to work hard and put in the effort, that does count somewhat (as opposed to just being lazy) but you still have to be realistic. As one of my male friends has said repeatedly, it doesn't matter how much he wanted to be a professional athlete because he didn't have the height or body type to become a basketball player or a football player. You can certainly improve your skill level but you can't will yourself into performing at a professional level if you don't have the innate talent for a lot of things. Similarly, you can learn how to play an instrument and you can practice a lot, but that doesn't mean you will ever be a concert pianist or a play in a professional orchestra. That doesn't mean you should give up and stop playing but at a certain point you need to be realistic about your limitations and adjust your expectations so that you aren't totally delusional and wasting your time on a goal that you can never achieve. Heh, or as the judges on SYTYCD sometimes say, you can dance for your personal enjoyment (implied: but not for money!).

• Love 2

I don't know why it was even brought up that Madeline was a Mormon. I mean, it's clear that the organization is super conservative/Christian, but I don't think it should have been brought up.

I disagree. I think it's relevant since they were considering giving her a TC spot. Or may be forced to by fan votes. If she drops out because she finds the costume too skimpy once she has it on they have wasted a spot someone else may have appreciated.

• Love 1

Anyone could think the uniform is "too skimpy" upon putting it on though. But I can see why being a Mormon would perhaps make them think she'd have a greater issue with it..even though she knows what it already looks like.

I believe that the reason her being a Mormon was even mentioned on the show was the fact that her intro before her freestyle was "I'm Madeline, I'm 18, from Farr West, Utah, and I'm a Mormon!" And apparently it made Charlotte gasp or bothered her deeply.

I believe that the reason her being a Mormon was even mentioned on the show was the fact that her intro before her freestyle was "I'm Madeline, I'm 18, from Farr West, Utah, and I'm a Mormon!" And apparently it made Charlotte gasp or bothered her deeply.

I guess she thought that was a "fun" or "interesting" fact. Weird.

Some random observations:

- I wanted to see more rookies being announced into training camp - there were several that weren't shown even for a second.  Perhaps they didn't sign the waiver to be filmed or something, who knows.  Looking forward to the first practice!

I would bet that everyone (all 500+) that tries out has to agree to be filmed -- why would K&J take anyone that wouldn't agree to that?  Certainly, anyone that makes the team, let alone training camp, is going to be filmed.  Sadly, as others have said, I think the reality is to a certain extent that the good dancers with little-to-no drama are not going to be featured on the show as much.  

• Love 1

To me Madeline looks extremely young - like not even 18. I would card her for cigarettes and look really really closely at the ID ;). I don't think she has a DCC face and especially a DCC smile - and I am w/ Neal that an eyebrow and hair makeover won't be able to fix these things. Also, the shots they showed of her dancing weren't that great IMO, but maybe they picked unflattering clips (like one was a bent legged aerial that barely got over?). Her solo costume was also unflattering and cheap looking - think I saw it in dancewear solutions or one of those types of catalogs and she didn't even bling it.

I got exacly what Melissa meant about Kat and her flexibility hurting the hip hop style the DCC does. Well see how she does in TC but it might be a case where they have to take the bad w/ the good cause her flexibilty can be an asset in other areas. That slow mo shot of her leap from her solo that they showed was absolutely gorgeous - she has amazing lines and turnout. It's a shame she isn't taller cause she'd look great in the middle of the kick line - that's how they do it, right - tallest in the middle w/ the shorter girls on the sides, right?

• Love 2

I'm sorry if this has already been said, but I have 2 sick kids to take care of so I don't have time to read every post, and just found this forum.  And, please forgive this rude remark, but I can't take it any more.  

Does anyone else think of Jack Nicholson's "Joker" during any part of the 1st to episodes?   I would have died if she said "Wait 'til they get a load of me!"  

My 10 year-old says she hopes that lady makes it because she is "different" (translation:  my kid thinks the lady has some sort of disability) and who knows?  Maybe she does, we never know until later.  What if she had to have some sort of surgery for an injury or trauma.  

If not,  I'm sure Kelli & Judy are working on tactful ways to tell someone "Stop the Botox (Juvederm, Restelayne, etc.) .   They've told girls to quit tanning, but that's easy.

Neal McCoy's comment about Madeleine from Utah might have seemed harsh, but it's true. A makeover will not change her face. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with her face, for the record, but I don't think that changing her hair color and shaping her eyebrows is going to be enough to give her the DCC look that Kelli & co. want from the girls who make the team.

I'm not really getting how/why Madeline doesn't have "the look". During her conversation with Melissa R, I couldn't help but wonder how they could think Melissa has "the look" but not Madeline...I didn't see Madeline as not being as attractive as Melissa.  But until Kelli and Judy ask my opinion, I guess it doesn't matter what I think :)

I get so tired of the judges saying a girl doesn't have "to look" -- there have been many plain jane to downright unattractive DCCs (Cassie Trammel, Ally, MacKenzie Swicegood), that they really can't make that argument anymore.  It pissed me off with Shannon last season (who I think could have been very pretty with the right make over) and now with Madeline, this season.

• Love 3

I'm not really getting how/why Madeline doesn't have "the look". During her conversation with Melissa R, I couldn't help but wonder how they could think Melissa has "the look" but not Madeline...I didn't see Madeline as not being as attractive as Melissa. But until Kelli and Judy ask my opinion, I guess it doesn't matter what I think :)

To me, there is a very specific DCC look (especially in more recent years). During the first episode of the season, as they were showing a bunch of the girls trooping in, setting up their little stations, and primping I actually sighed because so many of them already had that DCC look (I wish that Kelli & co would be a little more diverse in their selection, looks-wise). As I said in my previous post, I don't think there is anything wrong with Madeleine's face. She isn't ugly. She just doesn't look like the typical DCC which is usually a strike in Kelli's book. In contrast, Kelli often lets girls with the right look slide way too long because she wants them in the calendar snd cameos (see: Megan, the girl who she said resembled Julia Roberts who was not a good dancer, got dinged for having a bad attitude and not socializing with other TCCs, etc).

As for why being Mormon was brought up, Madeleine brought it up and obviously included it on her application since she was asked about it during panel interviews, so (1) it's not a secret and (2) both she and the judges thought it was relevant to her application and her experience as a TCC.

I get so tired of the judges saying a girl doesn't have "to look" -- there have been many plain jane to downright unattractive DCCs (Cassie Trammel, Ally, MacKenzie Swicegood), that they really can't make that argument anymore. It pissed me off with Shannon last season (who I think could have been very pretty with the right make over) and now with Madeline, this season.

I couldn't agree with you more, on all three counts!

• Love 2

As I said in my previous post, I don't think there is anything wrong with Madeleine's face. She isn't ugly. She just doesn't look like the typical DCC which is usually a strike in Kelli's book.

Oh yeah, and as we all know Kelli's book is really the only one that matters :)

Edited by ByTor

I honestly thought Ally and MacKenzie were attractive. Cassie is pretty too and has the body for it. To each his own though, but there are definitely some girls that clearly don't have IT.

Cassie's makeover - makeup, extensions, did her wonders, and none of them are ugly, but the DCC are supposed to be amazingly beautiful. Those three, and let's add Sarah Gourley to the top of the list, are average underneath all those extensions and makeup. Honestly, I think Sarah and Ally both had the dance skill to be point girl, but there were girls who were 99% as good, just prettier.

Madeline's face reminds me of Erica Jenkins. Very round, very 'baby' cute. Madeline's jet black hair and way to thing brows are really not good looks, but nearly all of us have made that bad choice or two with hair, especially as teens. 

BTW - pretty sure there have been LDS girls on the team before. Wasn't Courtney Cook LDS/Mormon? 

• Love 1

I never thought Cassie was attractive as a DCC. She looks cuter now on her social media photos that I have seen. Still say she only got where she did due to her mom because the girl could not dance to save her life. 

But yeah Kelli has let girls onto the squad who have no business being there dance wise based on her looks alone. She's even admitted it to a point like with Emily Clare - "if I'm a guy, I'd say we're crazy to cut the pretty Emily". No way that girl would've made it if not for her looks. Morgan also made it because they liked her look and her charisma,but her dance was awful. 

Random, but I was looking at Colby's Instagram, and she used to have a much softer, less harsh look, not even 3 years ago. She *is* too skinny for DCC, and on her Insta, she made fun of Kitty (correctly) pointing it out. Colby needed to gain about 10 pounds to look normal, and soften her features

Edited by Italian Ice

Why the hell does Colby use that fake British accent when she even told she is originally from Texas and only moved to London after college?! No one who is born in the US suddenly acquires a British accent just from living over there for a few years. That's ridiculous and she sounds idiotic when she talks. 

She lived over there for 10 years; she probably doesn't even realize she's doing it. Or it's a nervous tick with the camera's. 

Random, but I was looking at Colby's Instagram, and she used to have a much softer, less harsh look, not even 3 years ago. She *is* too skinny for DCC, and on her Insta, she made fun of Kitty (correctly) pointing it out. Colby needed to gain about 10 pounds to look normal, and soften her features

Sorry, but there was no "softening" her features IMO. She looked old; and there's no coming back from that. It was more than her makeup or anything she could actually change.

I actually think Cassie grew into the DCC look, which I think happens for lots of the girls who start young. I never ever got the Ally love -- she didn't have the look and her personality just came off as so fake.

• Love 2

I'm glad they stuck with their decision from last year to cut veterans early. It's harder for everyone to keep veterans who aren't going to make it and they take someone uses spot.

Sorry, but there was no "softening" her features IMO. She looked old; and there's no coming back from that. It was more than her makeup or anything she could actually change.

It's made worse that she is next to all those younger girls. She looks worse in comparison.

• Love 1

FYI, I'm a couple of miles from Farr West, UT, Madeline's hometown. As you can imagine, there being a local finalist was in the media a LOT here. One bit of trivia that I found interesting given her being Mormon? Her mother was a dancer for a pro basketball team. I'm thinking the Jazz but I could be wrong.

Oh, and Courtney Cook? Was from Layton, UT which is also nearby.

Edited by javajunkiee
  • Love 2

FYI, I'm a couple of miles from Farr West, UT, Madeline's hometown. As you can imagine, there being a local finalist was in the media a LOT here. One bit of trivia that I found interesting given her being Mormon? Her mother was a dancer for a pro basketball team. I'm thinking the Jazz but I could be wrong.

It was the Utah Jazz.  I found an article where she confirmed it.

I lived in Layton for a couple years (well technically Hill Air Force Base) and always found it fun that Courtney and I briefly lived in the same place. Silly I know!

Madeline has a GoFundMe account to help her while in TC.

http://www.gofundme.com/vnby6c

First let me just make a general statement about how sick I am of people using GoFundMe to pay for everything under the sun. You know what I do when I can't afford to do something? I don't do it.

Secondly, Madeline's last name is Massingil? She must have heard a million douche jokes so she has my sympathy.

Third, Kelli would DIE if she saw this GFM page. How dare someone describe the DCC as The Dallas Cowboy (singular) Cheerleaders?

• Love 1

It seems like that was what GoFundMe was originally used for (medical bills, emergency situtations, etc) but these days it's more along the lines of "I want to go to Burning Man so please send me money!"

I don't want it to sound like an elitist slob who thinks that you have to be a spoiled rich girl with a trust fund in order to be a DCC (because I do think it's an issue that they get paid so little and only girls whose families can afford at least minimal dance training have the dance skills to make the team), but at the same time if you can't afford to move to Dallas and live there for at least training camp (let alone through football season), then why are you even trying out? If that's your goal, then find a way to pay for it BEFORE YOU LEAVE. Save up money, do local fundraisers, ask your parents for a loan, get a credit card, etc. instead of asking the internet to give you money.

• Love 1

OK so we probably have deviated from the topic but I see GFM for people who want to adopt.  If you can't afford the adoption, how can you afford the baby?  Please it is not the entire community's responsibility to fund what you want.  Ok, putting away my soap box!!

• Love 5

Sorry for going off topic, but I remembered when the Miss Montana organization was complaining about the lack of support of the girls in the organization not getting monetary help from people. I thought to myself what the heck. I would rather give money to help someone struggling to pay medical/non-medical bills due to his or her illness or a love one's illness. I have no problem with the girls trying out for DCC, but I would rather give money to organizations where people who need the help will get it.

Sorry for going off topic, but I remembered when the Miss Montana organization was complaining about the lack of support of the girls in the organization not getting monetary help from people. I thought to myself what the heck. I would rather give money to help someone struggling to pay medical/non-medical bills due to his or her illness or a love one's illness. I have no problem with the girls trying out for DCC, but I would rather give money to organizations where people who need the help will get it.

Yes, the operative word being NEED (not want). People NEED medical help. No one actually needs to go on vacation to Bora Bora or become a DCC.

I remember when I was in high school, I learned that many pageants request/require the contestants to sell ads for the program. I was like wait, these girls are spending thousands of dolllars on beaded gowns and now you want them to sell ads so that the pageant can make money? I mean, I know the scholarship money has to come from somewhere but that seemed so shady to me.

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo