Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E10: Darkest Fears

Oh noooeeess !!!!  Minx has the sads because Drill killed her mommy.

Watching Wes practically gnaw Lena's ear off before wailing in grief was almost as bad as Claire's roar last week.

Seriously, Drill tried to extort Claire and Wes by saying he would tell Henry about their affair.  WTF is that got to do with anything ?

• Love 3

Oh good grief. This show is like a primer on exceptionally stupid decisions.

"Instead of getting on the cruise, let's randomly change our minds and go right back into the danger zone! And get into a random stranger's car to boot!"

"Let's disobey orders and go rescue some random kid! And split up - what could possibly go wrong with that?"

"The power's out - let's drive down a random alley and then gun it! And for extra fun, we won't slow down or look when we come to a crossroad!"

"Let's shout vague threats at an all-powerful entity! I'm sure he'll enjoy being taunted and won't seek immediate retribution!"

I feel like I'm watching that commercial with the kids who think it's a good idea to try to escape from a serial killer by running into a barn and hiding under some chainsaws.

I did appreciate that for once a kid reacted normally to a disembodied voice and flashing lights by freaking out and thinking some creeper ghost was after him. I feel like they threw that in there to humor us after we complained about all the previous dumbass kids. But what kind of ten year old is still playing with a Lite Brite? 

Edited by Stella MD
  • Love 10
(edited)

So, the guy that gave Lena and Minx a ride back from the cruise ship terminal was supposed to be like Sean ?  Is he controlled by another entity or is he also controlled by Drill ? And why was he behaving so normally ?

I hate to say this, but just touching a light switch while standing in water will not kill you.  Light switches are designed so they don't do that, unless of course it was Drill completing the bridge.  And Drill killed Lena because she ATTEMPTED to take Minx on the cruise, even though she didn't actually follow through.  And with all the power down, how did Drill even know where they went ?  Or did Drill kill Lena to get back at Wes for daring to touch the All Powerful Drill ?

Edited by ottoDbusdriver
  • Love 1

Poor dumbass, maybe I'd care if we didn't have to put up with her stupidity and whining about shooting someone.

Seriously, Drill tried to extort Claire and Wes by saying he would tell Henry about their affair.  WTF is that got to do with anything ?

Of all the dumb plot points they bring back, it's this nonsense?

And Drill killed Lena because she ATTEMPTED to take Minx on the cruise, even though she didn't actually follow through.

Drill's motivation has made less and less sense, it's completely all over the place.

• Love 3

I thought Drill killed Lena to stick it to Wes for trapping him and then shouting threats into the wind. Drill loves his petty spite, after all.

The one good thing about Lena's stupid decision to return is that Minx is back in the rotation for possible possession. Seriously, just take her - it would be a personality upgrade.

• Love 8
And Drill killed Lena because she ATTEMPTED to take Minx on the cruise, even though she didn't actually follow through.

And so ends the life of the stupidest character on this show who never made one smart decision.  How many times did she say could take care of herself and Minx? From an invisible supernatural entity from space? 

How many times do we have to tell normal characters don't try this unless your name is Buffy?  Your name was Lena and you got what you deserved. 

• Love 8

And so ends the life of the stupidest character on this show who never made one smart decision.  How many times did she say could take care of herself and Minx? From an invisible supernatural entity from space?

A dumbass gets a badly done wannabe Final Destination-like death.

• Love 3

Good God, Wes officially overtook Lena as the most annoying person on this show. He could have taken the correct action to end Drill but instead became all righteous at the last minute and managed to talk the POTUS into agreeing with him? What the actual fuck? And his "I will hunt you down... I will destroy you..." speech afterwards also topped Lena's primal scream as the most laughable fuckery on this show.

• Love 2

I am still in the minority and really enjoy the show and found the episode really good especially the scenes in the haunted building. I did find myself siding with evil pragmatist though. They could have killed Drill which was their main concern and I known a child's life was in the balance and I am not a parent and I don't understand but there are greater issues now all children's life's are in the balance including His. Wes's speech kinda pissed me off a little.

Plus poor stupid Lena. I actually liked her. She was fun.

I didn't like the evil pragmatist until now there was something EvilCorp about him but when The President asked him if he thought he made a mistake and he said he didn't think he made a mistake he knew he did I suddenly really liked him. Drill is basically a terrorist and you don't surrender to terrorist even if they have kids. They will just do shot like that again.

I still like Claire and her family though. Worried about Henry. They really should have killed Drill when they had the chance. Stupid Wes.

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 3

And so ends the life of the stupidest character on this show who never made one smart decision.  How many times did she say could take care of herself and Minx? From an invisible supernatural entity from space? 

She was taken from us because the television gods decided there were not enough characters making bad decisions on the CBS show Zoo. 

It would actually be interesting if they would recycle the entire cast into another hokey summer show next year -- like they do with American Horror Story..

I did find myself siding with evil pragmatist though. They could have killed Drill which was their main concern and I known a child's life was in the balance and I am not a parent and I don't understand but there are greater issues now all children's life's are in the balance including His. Wes's speech kinda pissed me off a little.

Totally agree. Also, maybe I'm heartless, but since all the characters already know they'll have to kill some kid to get rid of Drill, if I were Wes and Claire I would have been thankful this newly introduced redshirt was the sacrifice instead of Minx or Henry and just called it a day.

• Love 4

Good God, Wes officially overtook Lena as the most annoying person on this show. He could have taken the correct action to end Drill but instead became all righteous at the last minute and managed to talk the POTUS into agreeing with him? What the actual fuck? And his "I will hunt you down... I will destroy you..." speech afterwards also topped Lena's primal scream as the most laughable fuckery on this show.

That's why Lena had to die, so Wes could take her place.

It would actually be interesting if they would recycle the entire cast into another hokey summer show next year -- like they do with American Horror Story..

After this, Lily should just go back.

• Love 1

I feel like I'm watching that commercial with the kids who think it's a good idea to try to escape from a serial killer by running into a barn and hiding under some chainsaws.

Amen to this and your entire post.

OK, I get it, they can't kill a child because Oh My God, not a child!!!!! Not a poor helpless defenseless itty bitty innocent kid on noes! I realize that's just too taboo on a network show. But, here's a thought . . . why not let Drill possess this kid since you know once the possession takes place it's permanent and then hold that child in custody and get whatever info you need from him. You can house him in a black ops building and nobody ever needs to know what happened to him and maybe find out what it is Drill was trying to do and prevent future invasions. 

Killing Drill doesn't solve the long-term problem of future Drills showing up and causing the same problems because we know this has happened before and there are more of them out there, and you can't communicate with Drill without going through a child so let that possession take place. Isn't that preferable to just letting him go free and wreak more havoc? Especially for Claire and Wes who know this would permanently keep their own kids safe?

The ending was just so exasperating and stupid. It felt like that's sort of how the season should have ended, like they had this big climactic confrontation with Drill after finally capturing him and then "had" to let it go so they could keep chasing after it for another season.

• Love 4

That so called 10 year old and his buddies looked like teens to me. What teenager would listen to an invisible being and not question their own sanity? What or who did they think Drill was? So they stopped bullying Nicholas because an invisible being told them to. WTF?!?

This is not a soap opera. Enough with the lingering looks between Wes and Claire and invading each other's personal space. So fucking stupid. 

• Love 4

I am still in the minority and really enjoy the show and found the episode really good especially the scenes in the haunted building. I did find myself siding with evil pragmatist though. They could have killed Drill which was their main concern and I known a child's life was in the balance and I am not a parent and I don't understand but there are greater issues now all children's life's are in the balance including His. Wes's speech kinda pissed me off a little.

Plus poor stupid Lena. I actually liked her. She was fun.

I didn't like the evil pragmatist until now there was something EvilCorp about him but when The President asked him if he thought he made a mistake and he said he didn't think he made a mistake he knew he did I suddenly really liked him. Drill is basically a terrorist and you don't surrender to terrorist even if they have kids. They will just do shot like that again.

I still like Claire and her family though. Worried about Henry. They really should have killed Drill when they had the chance. Stupid Wes.

And I'm still there with you :)

I don't know why I like this show, I never watch it live, it's always the last show I watch OnDemand, I have to argue with myself to watch it but once I start watching I'm frozen until it's over and want to watch the next episode immediately.  

I kinda thought Minx killed Lena, I mean Drill was behind it but Minx did the actual deed with the water thing, at least that's what I got out of it.

And while I hate to think I'd want a kid to die, I completely agree with you when it comes to the terrorist analogy.

How many times do we have to tell normal characters don't try this unless your name is Buffy? 

This made me smile so hard I can't stop.

Buffy saved the world. A lot.

• Love 1

I kinda thought Minx killed Lena, I mean Drill was behind it but Minx did the actual deed with the water thing, at least that's what I got out of it.

It seemed like it was all Drill this time, since the water thing happened by itself instead of needing to rely on Minx.

It seemed like it was all Drill this time, since the water thing happened by itself instead of needing to rely on Minx.

Minx seems complicit -- she obviously found her mother, opted not to phone 911, left her lying on the floor and then walked out the front door and went into a catatonic state until Wes got home (however long that was).  I noticed that Wes also didn't call 911 or even attempt CPR, he just tried to gobble her ear for some reason.  So yeah, Lena is probably dead for sure -- unless Drill was just kidding and brings Lena back to life with his gnarly powers.

I still can't get over the fact that Drill threatened to out the affair between Claire and Wes to Henry.  Would Henry even care ?

• Love 2

Minx seems complicit -- she obviously found her mother, opted not to phone 911, left her lying on the floor and then walked out the front door and went into a catatonic state until Wes got home (however long that was).  I noticed that Wes also didn't call 911 or even attempt CPR, he just tried to gobble her ear for some reason.  So yeah, Lena is probably dead for sure -- unless Drill was just kidding and brings Lena back to life with his gnarly powers.

I wasn't sure, it was the way things were shot.

As for Wes, it was probably supposed to be a melodramatic scene, obviously it didn't work out well at all.

And yet, even now, she still won't get so much as a time-out. She'll be back upstairs playing with her dollhouse by the next episode, mark my words.

It's the same thing we see almost every episode.

• Love 1

I thought once Drill entered the body of a child, it was permanent.  He needs some kind of ideal match or whatever, he has to pick just the right kid, yada yada.  And once in there, Drill can't get back out.  And the kid is a gonner once inhabited, I thought.  He is essentially dead already.

I thought.  

I thought I thought I thought! 

But .... didn't Drill float out of the body of the kid in that house? He was clearly inside the boy ... at least it looked like that.  Lily Rabe and that guy foolishly didn't blast the kid full of holes (which there was no reason not to do, because .... once the kid has been taken over, he is essentially dead and gone .... right? So no reason to not destroy the kid's body in order to get Drill).  But after they re-opened the power grid, Drill floated away.  And the kid was alive and well.  That's what happened, right?

I have to admit a loud discussion about how "good" this episode was broke out in my house as the episode was ending and I was distracted, but that is what I thought I saw.  One of the haters immediately erased the episode, so now I can't go back and check.

If that was the way the episode ended, it makes no sense to me.  I am all for granting leeway for horror stories having some loose ends and whatnot.  But you can't change the rules of how a monster operates ... his powers are his powers (Dracula can turn into a bat), his limitations are his limitations (no sunlight for vampires), the ways he can be killed are set in stone (stake through the heart for Dracula, silver bullet for a Wolfman).  You can't change the rules halfway through the story out of the blue like that.  I really hope I am wrong about either my understanding of Drill's limitations and the effects of him taking over a kid's body, or about how the episode ended.  Because if they just rewrote the whole limitations on and effect of Drill possessing a kid here near the end, that is pretty unforgivable. 

Someone explain this to me, please.  I am hoping I am wrong about something.

They did say once Drill possessed someone it was permanent.  But I think that he hadn't fully finished the possession process with that kid and so he was able to get out.  That   imaging thing they were showing seemed to be showing the energy moving into the boy, but it kind of looked like it hadn't totally taken over the kid.  I think....I wasn't paying that much attention.

It also looked like they were somehow able to force Drill to obsess that kid instead of the perfect one he wanted.  In which case they should just find some terminally ill kid and make Drill possess him.  Then killing the kid has a slightly smaller impact because the kid was about to die anyway.

• Love 1

I really, really can't stand Wes. I've been annoyed with him plenty since the series started and it's just gotten worse. When he was giving his big dramatic "you won't win" speech, I was hoping Drill would find a way to send some electric shock at him. When the electricity started violently flashing, I chose to believe that was Drill telling him "to go fuck himself."

I couldn't believe when dude told Claire that he really liked Sean, like he was giving some big dramatic approval that was needed. Like gee, it's so glad that you approve of the guy whose wife you screwed behind his back. How magnanimous of you. Meanwhile Lena is dead and I feel like I'm supposed to care but I really don't because she was really, really annoying. 

And as cold and as awful as it sounds, I'm with the Secretary of Defense guy that not killing the kid was a mistake. Yes it would have been an awful thing to do but kill one to save millions. As the man said, isn't that what they do almost every day when they send people to war where innocent people get killed all the time? It doesn't matter because we're obviously leading to Claire and Sean's kid being possessed because that's the "most dramatic" outcome. 

• Love 3

And as cold and as awful as it sounds, I'm with the Secretary of Defense guy that not killing the kid was a mistake.

Cold, yes, but it sadly made the most amount of sense compared to our main characters.

• Love 1

A dumbass gets a badly done wannabe Final Destination-like death.

Had they gone full Final Destination, at least it would have been funny.

So they stopped bullying Nicholas because an invisible being told them to. WTF?!?

I still can't get over the fact that Drill threatened to out the affair between Claire and Wes to Henry.  Would Henry even care ?

That Drill is very well versed in human psychology, isn't he? He's constantly sussing out the children's weeknesses and plays them like a fiddle. One would think an extraterrestrial entity would check out practical things like power grids first if that's what it depends on, not take How to manipulate humans 101.

This episode nearly bored me to tears. The only good thing about it is that I like seeing Martin Cummins back on my screen. And that the herbs on my living room window sills are now properly tended to so I wouldn't fall asleep.

• Love 1
But .... didn't Drill float out of the body of the kid in that house? He was clearly inside the boy ... at least it looked like that.  Lily Rabe and that guy foolishly didn't blast the kid full of holes (which there was no reason not to do, because .... once the kid has been taken over, he is essentially dead and gone .... right? So no reason to not destroy the kid's body in order to get Drill).  But after they re-opened the power grid, Drill floated away.  And the kid was alive and well.  That's what happened, right?

That's what I saw as well - Drill left his body when the power was turned on.  So I guess it's not a permanent possession unless Drill wants it to be?  He can leave at any time?  If so, it wouldn't have done any good to lock the kid up after he was possessed, or even to try to kill him if Drill can get away whenever he wants. 

They did say once Drill possessed someone it was permanent.

Their knowledge of this came from someone who was 10 years old at the time and electrocuted his brother. Not exactly scientific. That's why they should have let Drill possess the red shirt kid and then taken him to a lab somewhere and see what they could learn about Drill and maybe find some way to kill Drill while saving the kid. Or if that's not possible, lock the kid up indefinitely. The objective here is to neutralize the enemy. The thing that drives me nuts the most about this show is the way they keep glad-handling all these kids at the expense of - potentially - the rest of the world. 

• Love 2
The thing that drives me nuts the most about this show is the way they keep glad-handling all these kids at the expense of - potentially - the rest of the world.

This is really one of the most absurd things in the show.  As if it would be any better mentally and emotionally on these special snowflakes to just let them be used by Drill to create mayhem around them and to hurt people.  Harper isn't going to suffer any emotional consequences for setting up her mother to fall through the treehouse?  Those kids in the hospital are just forgotten, despite murdering someone?  They will never realize what they did and have emotional issues about it?  Bullshit.

Kids aren't mindless.  They cry if their pets get hurt or their doll is broken; I can't imagine any of them not having any guilt or mental and emotional repercussions from doing hurtful things to people.  So why not keep them in a secure place so they can't do more harm to others.

• Love 2

Watching Wes practically gnaw Lena's ear off before wailing in grief was almost as bad as Claire's roar last week.

My favorite part was how Minx all of a sudden doesn't care if or how much time Claire spends around Wes... wait, WTF?  (If that was last episode I apologize; I ran through these both back-to-back.)  As creepy as it was to have a 5-year-old as the guardian of marital sanctity/surrogate wife, the reverse not-caring is worse.  Or were we supposed to think that now that Minx has met Henry she's all chill about it/Claire?

I also couldn't understand WTF we were supposed to think Drill did for and to Nicholas' former bullies.  Maybe if they had or we knew a regular system of rewards Drill has for these kids, other than "OK, I won't do something bad to you and your loved ones"...?

• Love 1

That so called 10 year old and his buddies looked like teens to me. What teenager would listen to an invisible being and not question their own sanity? What or who did they think Drill was? So they stopped bullying Nicholas because an invisible being told them to. WTF?!?

SO MUCH THiS. These kids were FAR too old not to be completely freaked out by a disembodied entity communicating with them. Little kids -- maybe 4 or 5 -- might have a real invisible friend that people think is an imaginary one, and not know better, but even a 10-year-old, much less a preteen or teen, is far too old not to be totally freaked out by a disembodied voice in their head (or ears). They've all seen scary movies, sci-fi movies, played videogames with fantasy themes -- they know the difference between fantasy and reality. And right and wrong, for that matter.

And so ends the life of the stupidest character on this show who never made one smart decision.  How many times did she say could take care of herself and Minx? From an invisible supernatural entity from space?

Ding dong. I laughed when her dumb ass died. Thank God. She finally came up with an ok plan (get away from the grid) and then turns right around and takes her daughter back to the city! This is after Drill manipulated her into murdering somebody in cold blood. I think I was supposed to be upset or angry but it just felt like karma. Silly karma, because there's no way turning on a light while stepping in water would kill anybody.