Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E07: All Must Be Loved

• Start Topic

Isn't only the Pope who does the excommunications?  Not just any self-righteous priest?

In any event, I don't think the Donovans were too preoccupied with where they'd end up in the afterlife.

So the Aryans are after Terry and now, the Armenians are after Mickey, Daryll and Bunchy.

Good thing for the Donovans these groups won't team up together.

Oh but the previews show that the same prosecutor who ran the side investigation in True Detective Season 2 is going to get Mickey to work undercover against the Armenians.  

Uhmmmm ...

Thank goodness that Ray didn't confess. I was convinced that the priest was going to record his confession and then turn it over to the police. I guess Terry is still a good Catholic? Well, not good but he believes enough that he doesn't want to be excommunicated. But do Ray or Bunchy care? I couldn't figure out if Ray lost his faith ages ago (hence the "fuck your forgiveness") or if deep down inside he still believes (or wants to believe) and is going to realize that he does are about being excommunicated. FYI - excommunication for dummies.

Oh but the previews show that the same prosecutor who ran the side investigation in True Detective Season 2

is going to get Mickey to work undercover against the Armenians.

Well, that didn't work out very well for her on True Detective. Hopefully she doesn't end up dead in a car this time around.

So the Aryans are after Terry and now, the Armenians are after Mickey, Daryll and Bunchy.

Heh, maybe the Donovans should set up a meeting with the Aryans and the Armenians at the same time, wait until they start shooting, and then duck and hope that the Aryans and the Armenians kill each other.

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • Love 1

Thank goodness that Ray didn't confess. I was convinced that the priest was going to record his confession and then turn it over to the police. I guess Terry is still a good Catholic? Well, not good but he believes enough that he doesn't want to be excommunicated. But do Ray or Bunchy care? I couldn't figure out if Ray lost his faith ages ago (hence the "fuck your forgiveness") or if deep down inside he still believes (or wants to believe) and is going to realize that he does are about being excommunicated. FYI - excommunication for dummies.

I find it interesting that you are automatically excommunicated for having an abortion or attacking the pope, but not if you murder someone.

I don't think the priest was trying to set Ray up with a wire tap, he seemed sincere.

Pagie's seduction had the air of desperation about it.

Now that Bunchy has been pulled into Mickey's sordid world, he can expect to see some consequences for it soon enough.  Just ask Terry.

Edited by Dobian
  • Love 1

SO, we're left with a cliff hanger -- will he or won't he (follow her upstairs).  Gawd, if he does, he's certifiable!!!

I didn't see it as much of a cliffhanger, lol.  How often does Ray pass up on a roll in the hay?

• Love 2

I find it interesting that you are automatically excommunicated for having an abortion or attacking the pope, but not if you murder someone.

I don't think the priest was trying to set Ray up with a wire tap, he seemed sincere.

Pagie's seduction had the air of desperation about it.

As someone who was raised Catholic, it's things like that that have made not practice in my adulthood. Well, mostly. At times I do go to church and find my self wanting to believe there is some higher power that we all can't understand, and I guess I go to the church I was raised in when I'm like that, because, well, I was raised with that, but yeah, that sort've thing I have problems with. Ray yelling about not caring if he's disowned from a place that forgives molesters? I got that. But Terry still seemed to care, to a point... and I get that, too. I thought that whole thing was very well done last night. Once the priest started with the ex-communication, I stopped being being completely convinced (though I still wonder) it was all a recorded set up; he seemed devout to the cause of the church, right or wrong.

I just love scenes with the Donovan brothers. They're all fine actors and play off each other so well. Terry and Ray have in fact coddled Bunchy too much, but when you've done that for as long as they have, you don't suddenly give someone complete control. It has to be done gradually.  Daryll is stupid about Mickey, but I wouldn't mind him interacting a little more with the other 3 brothers. With the Mickey story it's the same thing every week, he exists only to be pulled more into Mick's crap, getting him away from it at least for an episode and mixing with his brothers could be refreshing for the character. I hate seeing Bunchy being sucked in

Abby's "Christ, she works fast!" about Theresa, is probably the most I've liked Abby.

I feel like a hypocrite because I had braces put on days before I turned 21 in prep for jaw surgery (maybe birthday party was when most of my friends saw them for the first time, heh) and some could probably say that was unappealing since I was an adult, but, every time Paige smiles showing those braces... Yikes. I cringe. Maybe if the character had any appeal otherwise it wouldn't be so bad, but she doesn't, so it's just bad.

I might actually like Abby now and I'm totally annoyed by it.  Ray tells her that Terry needs to move in and she doesn't even blink an eye and jumps to on getting a room set up for him.  I'm sure I'll be back to being unable to stand her by the end of the season though.  

• Love 4

I might actually like Abby now and I'm totally annoyed by it.  Ray tells her that Terry needs to move in and she doesn't even blink an eye and jumps to on getting a room set up for him.  I'm sure I'll be back to being unable to stand her by the end of the season though.

Yes, but she wasn't concerned that Bridget had alcohol in her room. She also gave Bridget the encouragement to go after her teacher, not knowing that he was her teacher.  Also, where was her other bad seed this episode?

Did anyone catch the bird/dove theme in this episode? Aside from all the talk about the conservation of Finney's power plant to avoid disrupting the nesting site of the Tri-colored Blackbird, the episode began with Father Romero tending to an aviary of white doves and the portrait of Mexican Muffintop's long deceased kid brother depicted him holding a dead dove. I'm fairly certain that was foreshadowing Bunchy's new girlfriend will be the one to deal the fatal blow to Romero.

One thing I love about Ray Donovan is how totally unpredictable this show can be at times. I would have never figured the church scene to go down the way it did with the impromptu excommunication in Latin. I was was very dubious that Romero wouldn't turn Ray in to the authorities since he never made an explicit verbal guarantee not to do so. All he said is that Ray would be forgiven after confession, which does not preclude the possibility of handing him over to police. Doesn't the Catholic church usually frown on this kind of thing?

I was also shocked that Romero implied Ray loved or was in love with his abuser, Father O'Connell. Has Ray been banging random chicks with a vengeance for years to assuage his Catholic guilt from experiencing same sex attractions?

Other random observations - Bridget has a legitimately good singer/songwriter kind of voice. Who knew.

Mick is now going to turn poor, simple-minded Bunchy into a thug. Wasn't roping Darryl into his shady dealings enough?

Conor was conspicuously absent for the entire episode. Was he locked in his room fucking his mattress again? Inquiring minds want to know.

Everything Mickey Donovan touches predictably turns to shit.  He's painfully stupid, but he's confident/arrogant at the same time.  Darryl is still too young and/or stupid and loves having his father in his life to know any better.  Having Bunchy yell at his brothers that he's not stupid when he clearly is, almost to the point of literal brain damage, had me rolling my eyes.  Then finally our stupid, annoying Abby actually believing that she and Ray are back together only to have Ray stroll casually into Paige's house for a roll in the hay.  

Ah, this stupid, stupid, stupid, STUPID show.  

/sound of washing hands, at least for this week.  

Edited by 33kaitykaity

My memory is fuzzy on this particular plot point but I thought Ray and Mickey had spent Bunchy's settlement money. Didn't they use it to buy a house last season?

Ray used strong arm tactics and got the money back from the shady Realtor.

Who I think was Armenian.

As I recall, Mickey talked Bunchy into buying the house.

Ray wasn't involved.

Edited by MrsRafaelBarba
  • Love 1

I was also shocked that Romero implied Ray loved or was in love with his abuser, Father O'Connell. Has Ray been banging random chicks with a vengeance for years to assuage his Catholic guilt from experiencing same sex attractions?

Love is not the same as sexual attraction, Ray could have loved him as father figure.

• Love 3

The braces bug me because they look like the ones people used to get 20 years ago.  Braces these days are not that dark or bulky.  She looks like skeletor.

Ditto to the comment about the Donnovan brothers...I love it when they are together.  Esp Terry and Ray with Bunchy.

Bridget is being so stupid.  I hope they don't have him return her feelings.

Yes, but she wasn't concerned that Bridget had alcohol in her room. She also gave Bridget the encouragement to go after her teacher, not knowing that he was her teacher.  Also, where was her other bad seed this episode?

Unfortunately, I dislike her kids so much, that I don't mind her being a bad parent at all, so this doesn't help me with my Abby like train.  She could push those kids off a cliff and as long as she kept being un-needy, not-whiny, and didn't fuck things up, I think I'd be okay with her.  I'm sure she'll be back to her annoying self soon though.

Isn't only the Pope who does the excommunications?  Not just any self-righteous priest?

I don't think anyone involved with this show is actually a Catholic, I swear.   Excommunication is rare, not that easy to do, and doesn't mean what the show seems to think it means.  It's also not a done deal.  You can come back to the RC Church.

My family is made up of several different kinds of ethnic Catholics with participation that ranges from devout to "I wonder if I still count as a Catholic".  If a priest dropped to his knees and said a few lines in Latin and declared one of us excommunicated, even the most devout among us with tell him to piss off/pound sand/get lost. The less devout would laugh.  A few would call the Archdiocese for a chat about this nut.     "Yes, Monseigneur, there's a priest who has been stalking my mentally challenged brother who was sexually abused by a priest.  He manipulated my brother in to confessing a crime he didn't commit.  Would you like to handle this with or without publicity?"

• Love 1

I liked this episode, and I realized I'm actually more invested this season than last. I still can't stand Mickey's plotline, but the priest's unexpected complexity and the emotions those interactions bring out in Ray and his brothers are always riveting and moving.

All I could think when Paige called Ray to "come over, right now," was how badly I wanted him to say, "What is it with you people? At some point I actually need to sleep. I'll talk to you tomorrow."

I liked Abby here, and thought this highlighted what's best about her -- come hell or high water, she's all about family. I loved her immediate agreement to bring Terry to live with them, and how hard she worked to set up a room for him. I didn't think she was too terrible with Bridget -- she was unhappy at the alcohol, but believed Bridget (who appeared sober) that her friend had drunk it, and after everything else they've been through with those kids over the past year or two, I can see why she wouldn't blow up but would simply let her know she wasn't happy. I also didn't blame her for encouraging Bridget about the guy she likes because, of course, she thinks it's a boy, not a teacher, so it's not like Abby is actively encouraging Bridget's extremely inappropriate crush.

On Teresa, I don't understand why her weight is such a continued issue, to the extent that she's issued new catchphrases on a regular basis. I just don't get it. She certainly doesn't appear in need of doctor intervention for weight issues.

Edited by paramitch
  • Love 2