Type keyword(s) to search

I Am Cait in the Media

I'd argue it's about Caitlyn, but not exclusively. The reason I'd argue that is even though the overall comment (that they "aren't women") is being made by Greer about all Transgender women, the real sticking point for Greer, a special point of outrage for her I mean, is the potential idea of Jenner specifically (so this part IS about Jenner) possibly being named Glamour's Woman of the Year.  Greer is outraged by the idea this might happen and pegs it as misogony.... arguing:

So this is why I think the shit is about to hit the fan (and in fact looking around the net clearly HAS). It's going to get ugly, the debate over this. The outrage which will be spewed by people in both communities.  A lot of name calling, arguments, counter-arguments, etc. 

So again... it's both an issue beyond Caitlyn Jenner, and yet also one where she served as the linchpin on the grenade. 

Greer even gets into it about the subject of pronouns.

That description, "as a courtesy" is gonna anger a lot of people arguably just as much (or maybe even more) than Greer simply saying she wouldn't do it. When people do things grudgingly, and make it obvious it's grudgingly...

So what Greer stands accused of is, essentially, thoughtcrime. She is guilty of holding the wrong thoughts, of believing the wrong things, of entertaining ideas and defining concepts in ways that diverge from some doctrine to which all decent people are supposed to subscribe. One must believe that trans women are women, and one must believe that trans people are subject to forms of prejudice and discrimination that others are not, and if you do not hold those beliefs, then you are by definition dangerous, a potential threat to others, and must be silenced. The possibility of reasonable disagreement on these issues is ruled out, ex hypothesi.

The response to Greer and her alleged transphobia is just one example of a creeping trend among social justice activists of an identitarian persuasion: a tendency towards ideological totalism, the attempt to determine not only what policies and actions are acceptable, but what thoughts and beliefs are, too. Contemporary identity-based social justice activism is increasingly displaying the kinds of totalising and authoritarian tactics that we usually associate with cults or quasi-religious movements which aim to control the thoughts and inner lives of their members. The doctrine of "gender identity" – the idea that people possess an essential inner gender that is independent both of their sexed body and of the social reality of being treated as a person with such a body – has rapidly been elevated to the status of quasi-religious belief, such that those who do not subscribe to it are seen as not only mistaken and misguided, but dangerous and threatening, and must therefore be silenced.

If you haven't witnessed this first hand, this might sound a touch hyperbolic and overwrought. But in the methods and reactions of those who espouse the doctrine of gender identity, we see many, if not all, of the features of thought control identified by Robert Jay Lifton in his classic study of indoctrination in Chinese re-education camps, to varying degrees:

Milieu control - seeking to establish domain over what the individual sees, hears, reads or writes. Students at Cardiff University must not be permitted to hear Greer's views, because those views are supposedly dangerous.

Demands for purity - dividing the world sharply into pure and impure, good and evil, believer and nonbeliever. There are people who believe that trans women are women, and there are transphobic bigots who "deny trans people's right to exist". No intermediate position is possible.

A cult of confession - individuals are required to reveal their sins and transgressions in order to be redeemed. As a non-trans person, the only way to secure one's status as an ally is to confess to one's "cis privilege" and to engage in repeated, performative privilege checking. (My own personal experience of this came when I publicly stated that I do not accept the label "cisgender", which resulted in my being accused of the chillingly Orwellian-sounding crime of "privilege denial").

Loading the language - the use of thought-terminating clichés and complex and ever changing terminological rules. Just try to critically examine the soundbite "trans women are women" and see how fast the accusations of prejudice and bigotry come flying in.

This is a phrase intended to stop you asking difficult questions.

As with so many of the current high-profile no-platforming cases, Greer is being ostracised and shunned, cast out of our moral community and declared beyond redemption, simply for the crime of believing the wrong things, of holding the wrong thoughts in her head, of defining concepts in ways that run counter to those of the newly-established doctrine of gender identity.  It is not sufficient to behave towards trans women in a certain way, to respect their preferred pronouns and to support their right to receive the medical treatment they need. You must also really and truly believe that they are women. And if you cannot be made to hold this subjective mental state in your head, that is sufficient to justify silencing you ...

The attack on Germaine Greer shows identity politics has become a cult -- http://www.politics.co.uk/comment-analysis/2015/10/28/comment-the-attack-on-germaine-greer-shows-identity-politics

Edited by millennium
  • Love 1

Yup. Like that. The shit she is storming.

That article has a lot of truth in it. And before I get railed on for being a transphobe or hater, both myself in saying that, and the article itself, aren't saying Greer is necessarily right. Just that the side that gets proclaimed as open minded liberalism is often anything but. People don't read or consider arguments. They take absolute positions and become intolerant of any dissent. Period.

At the very least Greer is such an iconclast she doesn't really seem to have any care for political correctness. Whether you think what she's saying has any truth, or violently disagree, it's interesting to see what her SAYING what she's saying snowballs.

In a way this is a reflection of why some people are claiming to love Donald Trump (he's a much more radical example than Greer). The kickback against political correctness, because ultimately political correctness has stopped being intellectually based and started being nothing but emotional reactions which won't tolerate logic any more than the "other side" (filled with bible literalists and constitution reinterpreters). 

Getting back to Caitlyn Jenner (remember her?) I do think she's an example where the political correctness pushed SO hard it finally broke. I think this is going to manifest in a very different show next season (although that's not to say Jenner will be any more genuine).

Edited by Kromm
  • Love 2

Getting back to Caitlyn Jenner (remember her?) I do think she's an example where the political correctness pushed SO hard it finally broke. I think this is going to manifest in a very different show next season (although that's not to say Jenner will be any more genuine).

I blame Jenner for how this has evolved.    She was in a position to nip this madness in the bud at the very outset.   Instead she wallowed in silent gratification as the PC mob defended the myth of her "bravery" and "beauty" and exacted punishments against any who would say or think otherwise.   She tacitly approved of the intimidation tactics and on at least one occasion gloated about some minor celebrity being compelled to publicly apologize.

In this recent piece, a former ESPN personality discloses the network's pressure on all its employees to "root for" Jenner:

Colin Cowherd on Caitlyn Jenner: I have a problem being told to root for groups of people.

Colin Cowherd is never short on opinions, and more often than not he saves them for his own show.

But recently, Colin appeared on the FOX radio show Kilmeade and Friends and voiced some grievances with Caitlyn Jenner, specifically her appearance at this year’s ESPYs.

Jenner’s transformation from Olympic Gold-winning athlete Bruce into Caitlyn grabbed national headlines this year in both the mainstream and sports world. Her journey culminated with Jenner receiving the ESPN Courage Award presented at the ESPYs. A controversial pick by many, Caitlyn was well-received by everyone, including Colin Cowherd himself just days after she accepted the award.

However, while Cowherd still maintains that support, he does take issue it seems with his former employer ESPN pushing their agenda down his throat — something he wasn’t able to voice while still under contract there.

“I’ve said this about my former employer,” Cowherd stated. “It’s one of the reasons I came to FOX, the culture was, ‘We’re not going to hover you.'”

He then specifically brought up the Caitlyn Jenner ESPYs controversy where he didn’t shy away from his opinion of ESPN in relation to her accepting the award.

“I don’t have a problem accepting Caitlyn Jenner, I don’t. I have a problem being told to root for groups or people. I root for everybody. I want people to be happy. There is a difference between tolerance, which I am, and ‘root for that,’ ‘give an award for that,’ mentality.”

Colin’s assault then shifted to the mainstream PC crowd.

“We’re getting to a point now in society where everybody is offended by everybody. And you’re forced by society to root, not just accept, but root for groups, root for people. If we’re critical of people from time-to-time, that’s okay. You don’t get to gain without the pain of life.”

http://www.inquisitr.com/2525618/colin-cowherd-on-caitlyn-jenner-i-have-a-problem-being-told-to-root-for-groups-or-people/

Edited by millennium

Caitlyn Jenner Named One of Glamour's Women of the Year

http://www.glamour.com/inspired/women-of-the-year/2015/caitlyn-jenner

I sense Glamour maybe gamed the system here a bit. They appointed multiple "women of the year" to avoid the whole debate sparked by Germaine Greer.  By not being the one and only "singular", she can't be accused of having taken it away from someone else.

Of course the fact that she's an idiot and frankly a not at all admirable person in many other ways than simply being able to buy awards and publicity, then go on TV and talk about changing gender seems to have been made irrelevant too... somehow.

Actually, to be frank there are a bunch of idiots on Glamour's list. Reese Witherspoon? Victoria Beckham?  Oh come on.

• Love 2

I sense Glamour maybe gamed the system here a bit. They appointed multiple "women of the year" to avoid the whole debate sparked by Germaine Greer.  By not being the one and only "singular", she can't be accused of having taken it away from someone else.

Next stop, TIME's Person of the Year.

• Love 2

NY Post on the whole Greer vs. Jenner thing: There’s a feminist civil war brewing over Caitlyn Jenner

Aside from the expected net brouhaha, Greer is also being "banned" from a pre-arranged lecture. The following is actually a reasonable piece that examines both sides of the issue fairly, I think--that while Greer's opinions could indeed be unfair from an intersectionality standpoint that the message being sent by others is that these days, no dissent is permissible in feminist ranks: http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2015/oct/27/germaine-greer-transphobia-cardiff-feminism-inclusive

• Love 2

Hmm, for a moment the "ideological totalism" argument made me think, but then I thought, what if her opinion was that one race was less human than the other? I once broke up a friendship with a holocaust supporter, I mean she actually thought the murder of millions of people was justified to "save Germany from the Jews". I also stopped being friends with a guy because he thought women shouldn't have the right to abortion... I mean, I have friends who don't believe in abortion but know they have no right to stop women from getting it, they think is a sin but "it is between that person and God" and the law must be secular and they don't think they can force their believe on others, specially since body autonomy is involved. But the guy I stop being friends with thought he and other anti-choice people had the right to fight to change the law that allows women to have a choice... I can't be friends with people like that. Though I get there's a difference between being friends and trying to silence them. But I don't think anyone tries to silence racists or homophobes, we do have freedom of speech, but that doesn't mean we can't condemn that persons opinions and thoughts if they express and preach them. If someone was preaching that women or certain race was inferior I would speak out against their opinions as well, I would protest them giving speeches that contained those ideas and could influence others, after all, a majority's opinion has a great deal of effect in someone's lives.

I mean, I have a friend who doesn't believe in evolution, but he doesn't fight so evolution won't be taught to kids, so he is harmless. So I guess the point is how does one's opinion affect other human beings, and with the violence transgender people face denying their status as the gender they identify with does contribute to the idea they are fake and sick, so, in my opinion does has an effect at how others view transgender people and may be a factor in how they treat them. I guess someone who agrees with her may harbor a hatred for transgender people and may discriminate against them, I mean, transgender people already have problems getting jobs and dating... Not to mention all the violence so many of them suffer as a result of transphobia.

That said, Cait getting these awards is a joke, not because she's a transgender woman, but because she's not really that amazing human being. There are other women, cisgender and transgender, who deserve them more. But these awards aren't about recognizing the best people anyway, they are about publicity and media attention.

Edited by Dorne2.0
  • Love 2

I understand folks not agreeing that she deserves the Glamour award but, it's Glamour magazine. It's vapid trashy bullshit so who cares either way. Britney Spears won it too. I don't think it means anything. What i'm always so shocked at are the sickening homophobic comments under the articles I read. Must be the aggressive ignorance of closed minded people all flocking to say the worst thing they can think of. I almost feel sorry for them.

• Love 1

And here is our Caitlyn, telling the world about the "hardest part of being a woman": "Figuring out what to wear." 

From the beginning, this seemed to be her fixation. However, after the whole season where she has been educated, and is educating others, one would think that she had a deeper understanding of womanhood. Nope, it was always about those clothes: 

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/people/caitlyn-jenner-criticised-after-claiming-the-hardest-part-of-being-a-woman-is-figuring-out-what-to-a6730326.html

• Love 3

And here is our Caitlyn, telling the world about the "hardest part of being a woman": "Figuring out what to wear."

From the beginning, this seemed to be her fixation. However, after the whole season where she has been educated, and is educating others, one would think that she had a deeper understanding of womanhood. Nope, it was always about those clothes:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/people/caitlyn-jenner-criticised-after-claiming-the-hardest-part-of-being-a-woman-is-figuring-out-what-to-a6730326.html

When Jennifer Boylan was in Cait's decked out closet during the first episode of I am Cait, Cait said something about her hair and makeup and maybe her clothes too "You gotta change that!" J Bo said "It befits my station." I was hoping Cait would grow to understand clothes are the least of it but no, AND the hard parts of being a woman are so much fewer when you have money! The hard parts of being a person in general that she doesn't even have a clue about! Most of this forum KNEW she was making too much of the clothes and are right. It also appears she lacks the empathy to put herself in someone else's shoes. Any shoes, not just six inch heels. Edited by freeradical
  • Love 1

I, for one, am so happy that Cait was NOT chosen as Time's person of the year.  Angela Merkel? Meh? But Cait is way over her 15 minutes.  I don't care cuz of her Kardashian ties.  No boundaries, that family.  

Kylie or Kendall modeling at the Victoria's Secret show and Cait and Kris grinning proudly in the background?  Isn't that what we all want for our teen daughters?

• Love 1

I think that Andrea Merkel was the only logical candidate from all of them. She's a brilliant German chancellor in addition to being a former President of the European Council and chairing the G8, the second woman to do so. She holds a doctorate in physical chemistry and she's a former research scientist. How could anyone in their right mind even consider Caitlyn Jenner in the running for TImes person of the year?  How embarrassing for humanity if that ever happened.

• Love 2

Time's Person of the Year is supposedly awarded to someone/thing that's affected the world the most, for good or ill. Hitler was named "Man of the Year" by Time at one point. The idea of Caitlyn affecting the trajectory of human history, for good or for ill, more than Merkel or ISIS is beyond ridiculous.

• Love 1

This is rich:

'The Grinch who stole the trans movement:' Transgender solider Chelsea Manning launches Christmas attack against Caitlyn Jenner for her behavior after coming out

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3374261/The-Grinch-stole-trans-movement-Transgender-solider-Chelsea-Manning-launches-Christmas-attack-against-Caitlyn-Jenner-behavior-coming-out.html

A treasonous POS slamming the thoughtless famewhore.

Both are embarrassments to the transgender community, and neither of them really know what it means to be transgender today.    Jenner had millions at her disposal to effect her transition; Manning is making the "journey" on the taxpayer's dime  -- yet, incredibly,  both fancy themselves spokespersons for transgender people.

It's ludicrous.

• Love 3

This is rich:

A treasonous POS slamming the thoughtless famewhore.

Both are embarrassments to the transgender community, and neither of them really know what it means to be transgender today. Jenner had millions at her disposal to effect her transition; Manning is making the "journey" on the taxpayer's dime  -- yet, incredibly,  both fancy themselves spokespersons for transgender people.

It's ludicrous.

Yes, totally agree about Manning. I saw that this morning and couldn't believe it. I was surprised that they let Manning have a Twitter account while in prison.

I have less of an issue with Jenner using her wealth to ease her transition. She earned it -- as an Olympic athlete, as a reality show famewhore -- and she's entitled to use it as she wants. It's not her fault that other people don't have the same access to funds as she does. I haven't heard if she's "putting her money where her mouth is" to help charities that support transgender issues. It bothers me that Jenner is getting all these accolades because everyone wants to show how progressive and accepting they are. 

Edited by SmithW6079

This is something to get truly enraged about.

Not one but TWO things involving Caitlyn Jenner are up for GLAAD awards.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/movies/2016/01/27/oscar-nominees-carol-and-danish-girl-up-glaad-media-awards/79377506/

Other nominees in various categories include ABC’s 20/20 for its Diane Sawyer interview with Caitlyn Jenner; Jenner's IAm Cait reality series on E!, TLC’s I Am Jazz, Essence Magazine, CBS' The Bold and The Beautiful, and HBO's Last Week Tonight with John Oliver for his show on transgender rights.

I can only hope that whatever specific awards I Am Cait and the Sawyer interview are in have competitors which totally humiliate the Jenner nominations in the voting totals, because them even being nominated is already rage enduing enough by itself. But imagine the nightmare if Caitlyn could somehow tack "GLAAD Award Winner" onto her other empty titles and parade around with that on her CV?  Even "GLAAD Award Nominee" now being permanently attached to her is bad enough (and certainly will become part of her P.R. packet). 

Just Cait being talked about in the same breath as I Am Jazz (a truly worthy nominee) is annoying. I suppose that was inevitable given both the subject matter and the similar show names, but... man... I Am Jazz is the anti-I Am Cait.  Heck, even John Oliver is a far worthier nominee, and he's not even trans.

EDIT - Okay, wait, here's the specific nominations breakdown: http://www.glaad.org/mediaawards/nominees

I Am Cait is up for "Outstanding Reality Series".  The whole slate is:

Outstanding Reality Program

I Am Cait
E!

I Am Jazz
TLC

New Girls on the Block
Discovery Life

The Prancing Elites Project
Oxygen

The Sawyer interview is:

Outstanding TV Journalism - Newsmagazine

"Bruce Jenner: The Interview" 20/20
ABC

"The Courage Game" SportsCenter
ESPN

"Dividing The United Methodist Church" To The Contrary
PBS

"Showdown in Indiana: The Battle Over Religious Rights" CNN Special Report
CNN

True Life: I'm Genderqueer
MTV

Hmm. Note that the Caitlyn/Bruce things are listed FIRST in their both categories. That's already a sign of suspicious manipulation/bias in favor of them--that both would be I mean.

I suppose it's a small bit of relief that the Vanity Fair piece isn't nominated too (it would be for "Outstanding Magazine Article" if it had been).

Edited by Kromm

http://www.glaad.org/mediaawards/nominees

Outstanding Reality Program

I Am Cait (E!)

I Am Jazz (TLC)

New Girls on the Block (Discovery Life)

The Prancing Elites Project (Oxygen)

Outstanding TV Journalism - Newsmagazine

"Bruce Jenner: The Interview" (20/20, ABC)

"The Courage Game" (SportsCenter, ESPN)

"Dividing the United Methodist Church" (To the Contrary, PBS)

"Showdown in Indiana: The Battle Over Religious Rights" (CNN Special Report, CNN)

True Life: I'm Genderqueer (MTV)

Hmm. Note that the Caitlyn things are listed FIRST in their both categories. That's already a sign of suspicious manipulation/bias in favor of them—that both would be, I mean.

The nominees for each category are listed in alphabetical order.

Edited by editorgrrl
(edited)

Jennifer Boylan denounces Caitlyn Jenner.

Sort of.

From Boylan's blog, prompted by an exchange in the first episode of Season 2.   I'll spoiler tag it, just to be on the safe side:

It sounds like Boylan wants to distance herself from Jenner's bullshit even as she pockets the paycheck and enjoys camera time.   You can't have it both ways, Jenny.

I think the comment left by Alyson sums up where I'm at.

More here, with Boylan taking additional heat in the comments section:

http://www.advocate.com/television/2016/3/04/jenny-boylan-wanted-quit-i-am-cait-over-jenners-republican-views

Edited by millennium
  • Love 2

It sounds like Boylan wants to distance herself from Jenner's bullshit even as she pockets the paycheck and enjoys camera time. You can't have it both ways, Jenny.

I'm more bothered by the fact that apparently Boylan thinks it's OK to beat a dog for pooping on the carpet.

I find it sad in the LGBT community, whose members have known the pain of being ostracized, are so quick to ostracize those who don't think in lockstep with the accepted orthodoxy. Jenner is entitled to her opinion, no matter how unrealistic or misguided it may be.

• Love 2

I think it's probably the same in any minority group.   Despite being persecuted by society at large, members will persecute each other if one behaves in a way thought to be detrimental to the group.

The fallacy here is that Boylan, in her own words, has ordained Jenner "a leader," as if she's an unruly child monarch who needs her royal advisors to show her how to rule properly.   Boylan seems to think if she can just get Jenner to come around, what a wonderful world it will be.

What Boylan is in denial about, or fails to understand, is that her child monarch is Joffrey.

• Love 3
(edited)

I hope Boylan does what people call "manning up", which is I suppose a tragically bad/unfair phrase with transwomen (as is "get some balls", or any use of "cojones"). Anyway, she need not ruin half a lifetime of reputation. 

She needs to straight out admit that her participation was always a mistake, and I think perhaps even admit that both money and a higher profile contributed to both her going on in the first place, and even more amazingly to most of us, daring to come back for the 2nd season after she (and most of us) knew what Caitlyn is really like. I mean the "I did it to be like Survivor" line? Lame. It comes off not... as a lie per se... but as a desperate excuse where she's parsing reasons in her head and spitting out one she hopes won't sound that bad. 

I mean initially it's easy to use the "I wanted to help boost transgenderism by using this platform" logic. That excuse is gone later on, after a renewal, when you're coming off as a stooge... and you know it. 

This isn't even about the politics of the situation (I know we shouldn't discuss that part here) but the contrast between Boylan's own stated beliefs and what's said and done on the show. Hypocrisy--even the appearance of it--is the part that I think we can dig into without talking about what red states believe vs. blue states, or who's running representing which "color" on the map.

Edited by Kromm

I yell at her, shouting that the idea of conservatives supporting the rights of minorities, “is a lie! That is never going to happen! You’re living in a dream world!” At the end of this exchange I strike her with a rolled-up newspaper and not ironically either. I smack her like she is a basset hound that just took a dump on the carpet. I think it is fair to say that this strategy failed to turn her into a Democrat.

That's Boylan's problem right there, nobody needs to change their party affiliation because it's what she dictates someone must be. Also hitting Cait because she doesn't change her views isn't doing Jenny any favors to change Cait's mind either.

• Love 2
(edited)

That's Boylan's problem right there, nobody needs to change their party affiliation because it's what she dictates someone must be. Also hitting Cait because she doesn't change her views isn't doing Jenny any favors to change Cait's mind either.

The line of logic is simple. Caitlyn Jenner is free to believe anything she wants to. 

And Boylan doesn't need to be Caitlyn's savior. Once she sussed out that Caitlyn was essentially incompatible with her beliefs, she needed to withdraw. It shows an unexpected weakness in Boylan's own thinking about accepting people as they are, but it also helps peddle the more insidious untruth that just because people are allowed to think differently, that you have to tolerate them. You don't. They can believe what they want, and you can disagree and leave. Changing their mind is only possible when they're open to it, and Caitlyn Jenner isn't open to squat. Jenner needs to be held up as an example, sure. Just not the example that Boylan and others originally were trying for. They wanted a fully realized Transgender Superhero. What they got instead was proof that anyone can be an idiot. Now Boylan herself is coming off as the idiot, although at least she's said something now. She just needs to fess up to the rest. Far better people have fallen prey to a desire for fame and money. Live up to it. Do the full mea culpa. And move on.

Edited by Kromm
  • Love 1

I agree that people can think whatever they want, but when you publish your thoughts, or go on TV and talk about it, you have to expect other people to also talk back. The idea that Cait, or Greer, or anyone, can talk and no one can argue or refute or object to what she/whoever says, is kind of weird and unbalanced. You just can't try to "be a spokesperson" and not expect people to feel strongly about what you say. It's just unfathomable to me that Cait could want to be considered a leader, without wanting the people she's supposedly representing or leading to say what they think about the topics she's wanting to be the face of, or that Greer would think her opinion about the lives of trans people is of any importance compared to the reality as reported by trans people themselves. Should men over-rule what women say about women's lives? That hardly seems like a feminist value, so maybe Greer needs to think about her selective application of the rule of "speak for yourself and don't lord your status over others." And honestly, how sorry for Cait can you be when she invites people onto her show, and they aren't just ass-kissing? She could have hired ass-kissers if she wanted ass-kissers. It's like when McCain nominated Palin-- he could have vetted her if she wasn't what he wanted, and if he didn't, that's on him. If Cait wanted to script her show to be about conservative transgender people, she shouldn't have staffed it with liberals. If she couldn't find any conservatives, well... that's not the fault of liberals either.

I think all of this is manufactured for attention.

I assumed that Boylan was hired to be professorial, to kind of guide the group through the issues confronted - but maybe not.

In any case, she has a stronger stomach than me - Caitlyn's entitled attitude and ignorance about politics and other social realities is more than I could stand.

(edited)

In any case, she has a stronger stomach than me - Caitlyn's entitled attitude and ignorance about politics and other social realities is more than I could stand.

So Trump/Republicans will lower spending and bring the jobs back right? But they won't be bringing those jobs back for LGBT people. They get fired for being who they are, but Caitlyn doesn't need to concern herself with this fact at all does she?   I mean as the leader or model she's trying to be, I guess this shouldn't concern her at all.  Why in the hell would she think that this better economy courtesy of the Republicans would in any way help the LGBT community? She'll be lucky if it isn't made legal or at the very least the federal and definitely local governments don't look the other way at the hate murders that will continue to rise.  But once again, she lives up on her hill in Malibu so, no problem, no problem at all.

I can't wait for the Republican elect to get us "back on track" by sending off  all the Latinos and Muslims, to bring back those 19 century values which means my folks will be cleaning his hotels and picking crops and anything else for free. 

Please Caitlyn, have several seats. 

Bye girl, just bye.

I'm watching next week for the Hillary citing and then I'm so done.  I already stopped watching the rest of the family missed the last few episodes of that show, so this will be no problem to cut off. 

Edited by represent
  • Love 1

Jennifer Boylan needs to go down in flames with Jenner.    What a pity, to squander a lifetime of building credibility, only to flush it for Hollywood lights and a payout.    She's trying to cast herself as the patient teacher with a difficult student, but from where I sit it looks like Jennifer Boylan is now earning money and celebrity while pretending to advocate for the transgender community.   In that regard, I think she's no better than Jenner.

https://www.rollingstone.com/politics/news/meet-the-trans-woman-challenging-caitlyn-jenner-on-her-conservatism-20160308

Jennifer Boylan needs to go down in flames with Jenner.    What a pity, to squander a lifetime of building credibility, only to flush it for Hollywood lights and a payout.    She's trying to cast herself as the patient teacher with a difficult student, but from where I sit it looks like Jennifer Boylan is now earning money and celebrity while pretending to advocate for the transgender community.   In that regard, I think she's no better than Jenner.

https://www.rollingstone.com/politics/news/meet-the-trans-woman-challenging-caitlyn-jenner-on-her-conservatism-20160308

Could be that her contract involves the teaching role - seems like a good reason to hire a professor like her.

Not about a Jenner or even a Boylan, but it's interesting how this contrasts with Caitlyn Jenner and how she treats the subject.  

Second Wachowski filmmaker sibling comes out as trans (forced to come out, is more accurate)

We can rail if we want about this, and about what slime The Daily Mail are. As unfortunate as it is for someone's agency in this to be taken away, the thing that really shines through here is the grace with which Lilly Wachowski admits she's privileged compared to most transgender people. Nobody had to force or shame this admission (of privilege I mean, not transgenderism) out of her the way it had to be forced and coaxed out of Caitlyn Jenner's ugly soul. 

Someone else who like Caitlyn is in the entertainment/celebrity realm, but who treats the situation with dignity, normalcy, and grace. An anti-Jenner, you might say.

Jenner raked over the coals on site formerly friendly to her cause:

Who would have thought publicly supporting an Anti-trans politician would hurt her image?

As you may have read, during Sunday night's premiere of I Am Cait, Caitlyn Jenner called Hillary Clinton out for only caring about herself and not other women.

Thankfully, the irony that Cait actually only cares about herself and not the rest of the transgender community was not lost on the rest of America… because barely anyone tuned in to watch the debut of Season Two!

The E! docu-series lost to such critically acclaimed gems like Guy's Grocery Games, Beachfront Bargain Hunt, and even something called Unusual Suspects, so don't be surprised if we never see an I Am Cait Season 3…

http://perezhilton.com/2016-03-08-i-am-cait-caitlyn-jenner-season-two-ratings-premiere

• Love 1

Not about a Jenner or even a Boylan, but it's interesting how this contrasts with Caitlyn Jenner and how she treats the subject.  

Second Wachowski filmmaker sibling comes out as trans (forced to come out, is more accurate)

We can rail if we want about this, and about what slime The Daily Mail are. As unfortunate as it is for someone's agency in this to be taken away, the thing that really shines through here is the grace with which Lilly Wachowski admits she's privileged compared to most transgender people. Nobody had to force or shame this admission (of privilege I mean, not transgenderism) out of her the way it had to be forced and coaxed out of Caitlyn Jenner's ugly soul. 

Someone else who like Caitlyn is in the entertainment/celebrity realm, but who treats the situation with dignity, normalcy, and grace. An anti-Jenner, you might say.

What are the chance two siblings are both born into the wrong body...I find this very bizarre perhaps nature vs nurture

What are the chance two siblings are both born into the wrong body...I find this very bizarre perhaps nature vs nurture

Does it really matter? I think that kind of debate feeds into one that is often used to claim it's "abnormal" (that if it's nurture it is, I mean--or sometimes if it's nature then people will claim it's some kind of genetic "mistake").

The funny thing is I don't think it's even universal among transgender people which "explanation" they prefer. I think the whole misappropriation of this debate also makes the huge assumption that transgender people somehow all WANT to be the way they are. Like anything else, there's a whole spectrum on that.

• Love 1

It was a good piece.   The more media outlets that call attention to Jenner's boorish behavior, the better.   The Comments section was pretty good too, better than most.

I suppose we should start the countdown to Jenner's inevitable "apology" with the excuse that she "has much to learn" or she is "evolving" or some other PR-crafted, weasel-worded attempt to rehabilitate her image.

From The Advocate:

What Caitlyn Jenner's Really After

After losing interest in I Am Cait midway through the first season, I believed I was done with the whole Caitlyn Jenner media circus. I think it was watching her hit golf balls off the side of that mountain that finally inspired me to wonder if I didn’t have better things to do with my time. I felt no regret, no sense of loss. In my opinion, life’s just too short to waste even one more hour of it on someone like her.

The truth is that Caitlyn Jenner bores me even as she annoys me. I’ve known people like her my whole life. In fact, I used to be a lot like her. When I was in my late teens and early 20s, about 10 years or so after Jenner had won gold at the Olympics and graced America’s Wheaties boxes, I was a punk. I wore black leather, listened to the Ramones and the Clash, and adopted the politics and social outlook of the punk movement — the good and the bad.

On the one hand, while my politics could probably be described as left-wing, it was only because it was the politics of the bands I listened to. I really had no set political worldview of my own. Few, if any, people of color were to be found in the clubs or at the shows I frequented, and the same was true of openly gay or trans people. There was no real hate, no true animosity there, at least for me anyway. It was simply the way things were.

I was into punk for the music and the emotional release valve it provided me. The actual politics of the punk movement were secondary for me, and I rarely thought about them at all. I didn’t really care that there might be more, something of value beneath the surface of the world of anger, drugs, and loud music I lived in then. I was getting what I wanted and needed from punk, and I wasn’t particularly inclined to dig any deeper.

It’s this kind of immature perspective I see in Caitlyn Jenner today. She’s getting what she feels she wants and needs out of life, and she isn’t especially inclined to seek anything more. She has all the money and all the attention she could possibly want or need, and her worldview doesn’t extend beyond that which affects her directly. It’s like she’s on permanent spring break.

For me, it wasn’t money; it was the drugs. Getting by on next to nothing was part of the punk aesthetic, and the drugs we did were cheap and strong. Like the music, the drugs enabled me to feel what I wanted to and put other concerns, especially those I didn’t want or wasn’t ready to deal with, out of my mind.

Toward the end of my time as a punk and a drug addict, I was making good money. I had pretty much everything I wanted, more than enough money to pay the rent, feed myself, and buy all the drugs I could possibly want. To say I was self-centered would be an understatement.

The drug I believe Caitlyn Jenner is addicted to isn’t smoked, snorted, injected, or drunk. It’s the notoriety, the attention. She has succeeded Kim to become the uber-Kardashian, and she obviously loves it, revels in it. That’s her drug, and just about everything she does is focused on getting her more of it.

If there’s anything I remember well from my own days as an addict, it’s that when you’re addicted to anything, no matter what it is, it becomes what your life is about. Nothing else and no one else matters.

Some have argued that Jenner is still new to being trans and new to this level of attention, and so she hasn’t found her balance yet. The problem for Jenner and for all of us is that unlike with most actual drug addicts, her addiction is playing out in public, in the media. Indeed, it’s that very media attention which is her addiction.

It’s because of the attention Jenner seeks and enjoys so much that she has the potential to seriously harm the cultural and political interests of an unjustly harshly persecuted minority.

Caitlyn Jenner wants attention, and she doesn’t especially care who’s harmed as a result. That much is clear just about every time she opens her mouth. For trans people, particularly in an election year when anti-trans sentiment is at an all-time high, this is a problem for the community, and a big one.

Some time ago, transitioned helicopter pilot and news reporter Zoey Tur was the trans media darling of the moment. She spewed a plethora of misinformation about trans people in the media and publicly attacked some of her fellow trans journalists, including myself. While the actual content was different, the problem was much the same: Tur obviously loved the attention as much as Jenner does and would say whatever she had to in order to gain more of it.

The massive blowback in the media to Jenner’s comments on I Am Cait about Republican support for trans rights can be attributed to the same cause that precipitated the fall from grace of Tur — she finally went too far, clearly exceeding the point where anyone could argue she was still credible.

That’s the precipice upon which Caitlyn Jenner stands right now. She can grow up and start presenting herself as a competent trans woman who lives in the real world, or she can continue to show the world that she is neither. It’ll be interesting to see what she does next.

REBECCA JURO  is a journalist and radio host. Her work has been published by The Bilerico Project, The Huffington Post, Washington Blade, Gay City News, Windy City Times, The Advocate, and MSNBC.com. The Rebecca Juro Show streams live Thursdays from 7 to 9 p.m. Eastern. Follow Juro on Twitter @beckyjuro.

http://www.advocate.com/commentary/2016/3/14/what-caitlyn-jenners-really-after

Edited by millennium
  • Love 3

Looks like Jenner's trying to piggyback her daughter's success now.

Caitlyn Jenner Reveals ''Fantasy'' of Walking Paris Fashion Week Runway With Daughter Kendall Jenner: ''It Would Be a Lot of Fun''

http://www.eonline.com/shows/i_am_cait/news/749204/caitlyn-jenner-reveals-fantasy-of-walking-paris-fashion-week-runway-with-daughter-kendall-jenner-it-would-be-a-lot-of-fun

Remember that scene in "Mommie, Dearest" when Joan Crawford steps in for Christina on the soap opera?  

• Love 8

Remember that scene in "Mommie, Dearest" when Joan Crawford steps in for Christina on the soap opera?

Why will I not be shocked when it happens?

Kendall will flip out at her.
  • Love 3

Why will I not be shocked when it happens?

I posted on the fly, so I didn't have a chance to get around to that, but yes, I feel the same way.

It's like she floated the idea with the expectation that someone will make it happen.   That's the level of entitlement she feels.

• Love 2