Type keyword(s) to search

I Am Cait in the Media

From what i 've read, there is quite a high suicide rate in this community. In fact, i recently read an article from some big shot doctor saying their hospital does'nt endorse sex change surgury  because of "buyers remorse", so to speak.

• Love 1
(edited)

From the article above:

“It didn’t surprise me in the least” that Jenner’s representative would deny the story, Halperin said. “There’s millions of dollars at stake now.”

A Jenner representative had no comment for TheWrap on Halperin’s new claims. On Thursday, a Jenner rep denied the author’s earlier assertions to New York Daily News, saying, “Not worth commenting on such an idiotic report … Of course it’s not true.”

Halperin said that, in researching his book, he went undercover, seeking a consultation from Jenner’s doctor for the same procedure that Jenner underwent, and infiltrating transgender groups.

“My sources are really deep in this; I really examined his transition,” Halperin told TheWrap. “I conclude that he never officially transitioned.”

Halperin asserted that Jenner, fearful of criminal charges stemming from the Malibu crash, rushed the transition in order to shift focus from the accident.

“He was petrified, Bruce Jenner, that homicide charges would be filed,” Halperin said. “He misdirected everybody’s attention in the world.

“It was a brilliant misdirection,” Halperin added. “We all forgot about poor Kim Howe, who was killed.”

I hope he follows up with a book about Jenner.

Edited by millennium
  • Love 2

So is the claim that that the homicide charges sped up the transition process for Caitlyn or is it claiming the deciding factor going from cross-dressing to transgender is largely in part to the charges? Jenner is making serious cash now. Jenner gets to live out her fantasies of dressing up like a barbie doll. I think most people that take issue with Cait is her disillusioned idea of what it means to be a woman. I can't really recall her every associating womanhood with anything other than liking to dress up in women's clothing. And to this day, it seems that she still thinks that womanhood is defined by clothing and makeup. There is nothing else she seems as interested in as that. She'll never truly understand what it means to be a woman and the challenges of it because in the most defining moments of youth and adulthood, she lived it as a white privileged male.

• Love 2
(edited)

DID CAITLYN JENNER HELP OR HINDER THE TRANS REVOLUTION?

BY JOHN CULLEN AND NICK KASPER ON 5/30/16 AT 7:20 AM

It’s been a year since the June 2015 issue of Vanity Fair hit newsstands announcing the arrival of Caitlyn Jenner. From her interview with Diane Sawyer, where she unpacked years of emotions, to subsequent reality television shows and media appearances, Caitlyn’s transition has been very visible to the public eye.

With so much fame, it was clear this would be a make-or-break moment for the transgender community. Ironically, it appears to have done both.

Caitlyn’s public transition was polarizing in a way that led many of us to dig deep and ask tough questions. The media largely portrayed her transition as a positive experience worthy of commendation.

Yes, we applaud Caitlyn’s courage for recognizing her true self after years of internal struggle. And we applaud her for transitioning in a public fashion to help raise awareness and catalyze conversations that previously went untold.

However, for many Americans, Caitlyn Jenner has become the reference point for their perceptions and expectations of transgender people. Unfortunately, her experience is hardly representative of the rest of the population.

Caitlyn has about as much privilege as a trans woman in America could possibly attain. She’s upper-class, white, college educated, not to mention famous as both a former Olympic athlete and reality TV star.

Her daily life looks nothing like that of the rest of the transgender community, and by keeping the focus solely on one high-profile individual, much of the real story is being left out of the conversation. While the TV lights have never shined brighter on transgender issues, so much still remains in the dark.

Instead of a one-on-one with Diane Sawyer, many transition journeys begin with family rejection, discrimination and oppression for transgender Americans. Transgender people face staggering rates of unemployment, homelessness, denial of medical care, harassment, assault, suicide and murder.

Transgender homicides in the U.S. are on the rise, especially among transgender women of color. Worse, a report by the Human Rights Campaign found that of the 53 recorded murders of transgender people in the U.S. from 2013 to 2015, not a single one was prosecuted or reported as a hate crime.

Caitlyn Jenner has never claimed to be an activist. But we need to recognize the privilege from which she speaks, and how someone with the best intentions can still serve as a distraction.

While we all look on in mild shock as Caitlyn expresses her conservative views or applaud quietly after she receives another award, the lived reality of the rest of America’s transgender population gets pushed to the wayside.

If as a society we feel the need to designate a spokesperson for the trans community, let’s consider other voices such as Laverne Cox, who acknowledges the privileges she has and consistently and passionately uses her voice to bring attention to the challenges and barriers faced by all transgender people.

These topics may be uncomfortable and difficult to talk about but it is imperative to address them. We must step outside our comfort zones and realize that our silence on the subject actively harms the most marginalized individuals in our society. And conversations must be more substantial than revolving around which bathroom to use.

Life as a trans person doesn’t usually come with magazine photo shoots, courage awards or reality TV shows. As a society we need to steer our conversations and perceptions back toward the issues facing the entire community. Reflective conversations at home, work and places of worship can lead to real and lasting change.

You don’t have to stop watching I Am Cait, but each time you do watch, take a moment and think about the wider transgender community, and what their reality show might look like.

http://www.newsweek.com/did-caitlyn-jenner-help-hinder-trans-revolution-464412

A year later, and the whole thing still makes me mad as hell.

Edited by millennium
  • Love 1
(edited)

It's an easy question to answer: hinder.

The whole argument that she caused people to talk, and that's ultimately good is not... total BS. It's just not enough. Other things could have caused that talk, and it shouldn't be used as a catchall excuse for this pathetic human being getting a pass on everything.

Caitlyn Jenner has never claimed to be an activist.

This statement (which I've seen many times by now) annoys me. Why? Because it ignores the fact that Jenner tried to use people's feelings about transgender culture to advance her own career, life and fame. Her people manipulated things to get her various awards, magazine covers and appearances based on hyping her "bravery", for example. This was her positioning herself as IF she was a leader, while eventually ducking the claim that she was--and the responsibility--when it got her in trouble.

Edited by Kromm
3 hours ago, Kromm said:

It's an easy question to answer: hinder.

The whole argument that she caused people to talk, and that's ultimately good is not... total BS. It's just not enough. Other things could have caused that talk, and it shouldn't be used as a catchall excuse for this pathetic human being getting a pass on everything.

This statement (which I've seen many times by now) annoys me. Why? Because it ignores the fact that Jenner tried to use people's feelings about transgenderism to advance her own career, life and fame. Her people manipulated things to get her various awards, magazine covers and appearances based on hyping her "bravery", for example. This was her positioning herself as IF she was a leader, while eventually ducking the claim that she was--and the responsibility--when it got her in trouble.

I tried to write more in my previous post but sometimes my disgust gets the better of me and I delete everything halfway through.

Jenner got a pass even in this piece.   You can see the writers treading softly, hoping to make their point  without possibly offending the Brave and Beautiful.   "Yes, we applaud Caitlyn’s courage for recognizing her true self after years of internal struggle."  Fuck that, okay?    It doesn't take courage when you're guaranteed the best possible outcome in history.   Ask any transgender person and he or she will tell you that when they were kids and said their prayers at night, they begged God to change them into a girl (or boy).   Jenner enjoyed the closest possible thing to waking up the next morning and discovering the prayer had come true.    It did NOT take courage or an act of God.   All it took was MONEY and CELEBRITY.

The line you pointed out was particularly irritating to me, too.  "Caitlyn Jenner never claimed to be an activist ..." It has become a boilerplate disclaimer in pieces like these.   Really?  What do you call volunteering to be Ted Cruz's "trans ambassador?"   If that isn't positioning oneself as an activist, I don't know what is.   Then there are the visits to controversial preachers, the drop-ins at schools, the speeches, etc.    That's what activists do.

Ironically, I don't see her as an activist at all.  It's like that old TV commercial "I'm not a doctor but I play one on TV."    Activists proceed from deep conviction.  Jenner puts on a charade of activism merely as an excuse to be on camera and receive approving nods from the media. 

• Love 4
15 hours ago, millennium said:

I tried to write more in my previous post but sometimes my disgust gets the better of me and I delete everything halfway through.

Hooboy. This could set you off then...

E!: Caitlyn Jenner Celebrates the One-Year Anniversary of Her MonumentalVanity Fair Cover: ''Best Year of My Life''

Admittedly it's just E! hyping their Kardashian Dog & Pony show again, but the genesis of it is Caitlyn going on social media holding up that farce of a Vanity Fair issue and acting like 365 days passing since her handlers bought her some big media coverage is something worth celebrating.

Also, there's the Sports Illustrated cover coming up. Which arguably Caitlyn, as Bruce, still probably would have had, since I think "40 years" is a magic number for stuff like that (you'd think it would be 50, but often 50 years means people are dead). 

(edited)

Oh, have we talked about the potential hypocrisy of a journalist AND her interview subject being co-presented with a "journalism award" for the same interview? Somehow this went off my radar, that Diane Sawyer and Caitlyn Jenner BOTH got an award for that interview. There's something really wrong, really intellectually dishonest, with acting like an interview is supposed to be a collaboration. It's not.

---------------------

On the flip side though, and both humorous in it's excess, but horrifying, I think we can be both entertained and disturbed by this...

Republican lawmaker claims Caitlyn Jenner needs to be exorcised

Some people is nuts. And I kind of mean the people who elected this blockhead just as much as the guy himself. However frustrated you might get at Caitlyn Jenner, there's always stuff like this to make us consider the alternative.

Edited by Kromm
  • Love 1

I can't possibly make anyone understand what this past year has been like for me (and other people like me), so I won't try, other than to say that at times it has been very difficult.    I am grateful that I have this forum to sound off about the media's madness where this subject is concerned, and that there are intelligent people here who have not been brainwashed by the hype and who see Jenner for exactly what she is -- and isn't. 

I think "E!" is trying desperately to put a positive spin on what has been a bad investment for the network.

To this day, I am unable to locate any measure of ratings for Season 2 of "I Am Cait."   The very poor ratings for the premiere were reported widely in the media, but after that not a peep.  I firmly believe that a deliberate effort is being made to keep the ratings from the media and the general public

It seems to me that if the ratings had improved, E! would have released the news instantly to counter the poor impression left by the season premiere.    The fact that there has been nothing but silence about the show's ratings since the premiere suggests that viewership continued to decline, perhaps to an embarrassing degree.

• Love 3
(edited)

It also seems the height of hypocrisy to me that after all the hectoring the public received about how Bruce no longer exists, and how no one should refer to Jenner by her former name -- in some cases even MENTION the former name --  Jenner is first in line to make fresh loads of money by re-identifying herself with Bruce Jenner and the gold medal.

Way to kick off your "new" life, Jenner.

Edited by millennium
  • Love 4

Stacy Dash namechecks Caitlyn Jenner in a anti-bathroom law rant in her new book.

In her book Dash discusses transgender reality star Caitlyn Jenner's use of the women's restroom. Jenner, who is also a conservative, famously transitioned last year from her former public identity as male athlete and reality star Bruce Jenner.

During an interview with "Entertainment Tonight" Dash asserted that being transgender is a lifestyle choice.

"It's your body! So, it's your decision, right?" she said. "We all make choices."

When rebutted with the argument that transgender people don't choose what they feel is their true gender identity, Dash said "OK, then go in the bushes."

(edited)

Being transgender isn't a choice.

What you do about it may be.

The majority of transgender people in America and elsewhere do not transition.   They do not appear in public dressed as their ideal selves.   They get by as "ordinary" men and women, struggling to maintain a balance between how the world sees them and how they see themselves.   I would guess that for every transgender person you see or hear about, there are probably twenty flying below the radar.   For many, being transgender is like belonging to a secret society, but without any benefits of membership. 

I know there is a party line that being transgender and not "out" comes with a risk of suicide, but the truth is there are hundreds of thousands of transgender men and women who are closeted and who are not committing suicide.   They are living with it.  Unhappily, perhaps, but living with it nonetheless.   Depression and other mood disorders are rampant among this segment of society.   But these people survive.

I don't doubt that some transgender people do feel suicidal and for those individuals there may be no choice but to come out and transition.   But for the majority, I believe, it is a matter of choice, one dictated by factors like employment, potential loss of family and friends, whether or not one can "pass," the risk of being treated like a freak in everyday life, etc.   The choice comes down to "Am I willing to risk absolutely everything to be myself?"   Not a great choice.   Not a fair choice.   But in the end, a choice all the same.

The great travesty is that some people, like Stacy Dash and her ilk, would take that choice, shitty as it is, away from transgender people by doing whatever they can to make life on the other side impossible for them.   As "normal" people, Ms. Dash and friends feel it should be exclusively THEIR choice if, when and how transgender members of society express themselves. 

I hope she burns in hell.

Edited by millennium
  • Love 5
On 5/26/2016 at 8:57 AM, RHJunkie said:

And to this day, it seems that she still thinks that womanhood is defined by clothing and makeup. There is nothing else she seems as interested in as that. She'll never truly understand what it means to be a woman and the challenges of it because in the most defining moments of youth and adulthood, she lived it as a white privileged male.

I would like to ask a question here - no snark involved at all - what does it mean to "be a woman" other than looking like one and wearing the female clothing and makeup?  I have seen this comment here, and said elsewhere, and as a woman, I really don't get what else anyone is looking for.  Other than being born with ovaries and the ability to bear a child, which obviously Cait will not be doing.  During one episode of the show, they were sitting around some type of Ponderosa buffet and asked, "What does being a woman mean to you?" and most of them replied something like "being powerful" - which, while it sounds nice doesn't really mean anything. I feel like I look like a woman due to my body type and facial skin, followed by the fact that I like to carry cute purses.

Jen B.  was very clear about the fact that she wanted a 100% female body.  The rest of them didn't seem to care about their bodies as much as their appearances.  And all they seemed to want was for others to accept them as their "true selves", which seemed to be accepting them as the gender they requested.  And how did they express that?  By looking like a woman and wearing female clothing and makeup.

12 hours ago, millennium said:

Being transgender isn't a choice.

What you do about it may be.

Millenium, I know that you are transgender and you have been very open here and I always am interested in your posts.  I don't mean to make you or anyone else feel bad by what I have posted.  Forgive me in advance, and I am very interested in what you have to say :)

• Love 2
(edited)
1 hour ago, princelina said:

I would like to ask a question here - no snark involved at all - what does it mean to "be a woman" other than looking like one and wearing the female clothing and makeup?  I have seen this comment here, and said elsewhere, and as a woman, I really don't get what else anyone is looking for.  Other than being born with ovaries and the ability to bear a child, which obviously Cait will not be doing.  

Seems to be there's no single good answer for this. 

Just like any other group, transgender people don't have any real unity in philosophy. And THEN what they think has to be slotted in with what the rest of the world can accept.

A hundred years from now there may be genetic therapy SO total that some of the basic differences could be addressed. I mean having genitalia of a certain SHAPE seems like a shallow definition, because someone who genetically is male is never going to bleed menstrual blood every month, for example. Or someone who's genetically female is never going to get an incidental erection, even if a proper looking piece of male equipment is built for them. Those are aspects of gender that in a way are even more primal than childbearing, I think, because a woman can forbear having a child, but can't typically avoid menstruation (or my counter-example of walking around with a piece of anatomy that figuratively has a mind of it's own and manifests that all of the time being true for the "male" side of the equation). Clearly those things also affect people psychologically too. Denying that or wishing otherwise does nothing to change that. Some of that is hormonal too--although that's the part that our science already has some redress to. But all the hormones in the world aren't going to create menstruation or erections (although apparently hormones alone but no genetic therapy can create breast growth or excess aggression). 

That said, I think there's a spectrum. Those who align gender with gender roles (which includes a lot of the shallow seeming stuff like mode of dress or mannerisms), those who align it with biology, and those who try to find a middle ground where it's about how a person is most comfortable and then the response being basically about respect for that person's self-expression. I can see why some radical feminists actually think of aggressive transgender culture as an invasion/subverting of femininity though (since male to female is the default mode of transgender culture in most of our pop culture now). I think it's basically what we're actually seeing happening WITH Caitlyn Jenner that's making those fears worse. A person who was a privileged man seemingly now trying to claim any advantages of womanhood, while also maintaining most of the benefits of that male privilege. That's the fear/extreme case that Caitlyn Jenner so aptly represents to some. Nevermind that the reality of being transgender for most isn't like that. 

Although we've been told (quite accurately I think) that in most cases it's not about sexuality, there's also certainly going to be a subset of people for whom it is (because the gender change aligns with them with a desired sexual preference). Versus another extreme where it's clearly about FEELING like a woman rather than simply feeling justified having sex with any particular kind of person (because they may not feel at all that they want to change who they have sex with)--and of course that would seem to often have a lot to do with surface accouterments, like dresses, pantyhose and heels, long hair, breasts, etc. Of course the problem is that gender reassignment surgery is a very radical solution when it's just either extreme alone as a reason, I think, which is why most doctors seem to council a long period of adjustment/testing the waters before surgery.

And don't forget the whole debate over if disclosure of someone's genetic gender assignment before having sex is ethically necessary. I'm supposing there's no way around that kind of disclosure with post-op transmen (where I believe mechanical aid is necessary for performance), but with transwomen I know this debate already exists and isn't FAR nastier in public discussion because people are so hyperfocused now on where someone pees/takes a shit.  When that debate comes into public discussion more, it's going to get REALLY nasty.

Short version of all of this?  There's no real concrete answer to your question about what it means to be a woman. Because different people will rage about any answer you give, no doubt.

Edited by Kromm
  • Love 2
8 hours ago, princelina said:

I would like to ask a question here - no snark involved at all - what does it mean to "be a woman" other than looking like one and wearing the female clothing and makeup?  I have seen this comment here, and said elsewhere, and as a woman, I really don't get what else anyone is looking for.  Other than being born with ovaries and the ability to bear a child, which obviously Cait will not be doing.  During one episode of the show, they were sitting around some type of Ponderosa buffet and asked, "What does being a woman mean to you?" and most of them replied something like "being powerful" - which, while it sounds nice doesn't really mean anything. I feel like I look like a woman due to my body type and facial skin, followed by the fact that I like to carry cute purses.

Jen B.  was very clear about the fact that she wanted a 100% female body.  The rest of them didn't seem to care about their bodies as much as their appearances.  And all they seemed to want was for others to accept them as their "true selves", which seemed to be accepting them as the gender they requested.  And how did they express that?  By looking like a woman and wearing female clothing and makeup.

I would say that being a woman holds different meanings to different people. Whether you were assigned to the gender at birth or later in life, you have a challenge of being a minority that is discriminated it against and constantly undersold. Not suggesting that the struggle is equally the same, but they most certainly exist. Cait waited very long in life before identifying as a woman and at the point that she did, she had earned a level of celebrity that automatically exempted her from certain challenges that she would have otherwise likely experience during her journey. My point was that Cait seems to centre her identity around the more superficial aspects and perhaps that's just on par with her personality but I guess I was hoping there was something more insightful or deep about her connection with being a woman. 

• Love 1
(edited)
16 hours ago, princelina said:

I think, (this is just my take, obviously I don't speak for everyone) that people are referring to the stuff that defines females in our society. In the workplace, Caitlyn will never know what it's like to make less than a man doing the same job, she will never know what it's like being called a "bitch" just because she has strong opinions, or just having her idea discounted just because she's female. She will never know what it's like to be afraid of being raped some guy because he's bigger & stronger than you or know how many times in her dating life a female has a close call with a date who gets too aggressive, she will never know what it's like to be valued more for your looks than your brains, she will never know what it's really like to be a 60 years old woman (especially without a glam squad fixing her up every day) in a society that discounts women once they get older. She will never have known what it's like to get your period every month & how much birth control & the worry about unplanned pregnancy is part of your life. She can't ever know what being a female is really like, & when I hear her say things like Donald Trump ''Would Be Very Good for Women's Issues" it infuriates me because she's been living as female for all of 10 minutes & has no clue what "women's issues" are.

Edited by GaT
Because English really is my first (and only) language
  • Love 10
(edited)

From the Emmy Awards site:

The Emmy Awards recognize excellence within various areas of television and emerging media.

The Emmy Awards are administered by three sister organizations, which focus on various sectors of television and broadband programming:

Television Academy (primetime)

National Academy of Television Arts & Sciences (daytime, sports, news and documentary)

International Academy of Television Arts & Sciences (international)

And the Television Academy has decreed:  I AM CAIT is Kardashian trash.

Emmys: Caitlyn Jenner's 'I Am Cait' Moves Categories

I Am Cait, the E! show about Caitlyn Jenner's new life, has been rejected by the TV Academy from the Emmy category in which its backers wished for it to compete, The Hollywood Reporter has learned.

Prior to the start of Emmy nomination voting on Monday, as THR reported at the time, the high-profile show was submitted for the ballot under the best documentary or nonfiction series category, perhaps as a measure of its higher ambitions. But the TV Academy concluded that it actually belongs in the best unstructured reality series category, along with Keeping Up With the Kardashians, and that is where it currently appears on the online ballot for the organization's roughly 20,000 members.

No Kardashian-connected show has ever received an Emmy nom — something that Kanye West finds outrageous. Kris Jenner and her daughters, however, will almost certainly be a presence at the Emmys regardless of I Am Cait's fate — if only in the sense that they are portrayed in FX's American Crime Story: The People vs. O.J. Simpson, which is expected to land a massive number of noms.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/race/emmys-caitlyn-jenners-i-am-901305

Edited by millennium
On 6/15/2016 at 5:11 AM, millennium said:

Prior to the start of Emmy nomination voting on Monday, as THR reported at the time, the high-profile show was submitted for the ballot under the best documentary or nonfiction series category, perhaps as a measure of its higher ambitions. But the TV Academy concluded that it actually belongs in the best unstructured reality series category, along with Keeping Up With the Kardashians, and that is where it currently appears on the online ballot for the organization's roughly 20,000 members.

The bolding is mine, this piece of crap is actually on the ballot for an Emmy? I can't tell from the wording, is KUWTK also on the ballot? There is a possibility that there will be a Kardashian Emmy? WTF is going on? Is Khloe blowing every member of the TV Academy?

(edited)
11 minutes ago, GaT said:

The bolding is mine, this piece of crap is actually on the ballot for an Emmy? I can't tell from the wording, is KUWTK also on the ballot? There is a possibility that there will be a Kardashian Emmy? WTF is going on? Is Khloe blowing every member of the TV Academy?

I think the nominating process is a free-for-all in which any show (or performer, producer, etc. connected with the show) that meets the Academy's criteria can be nominated.   Theoretically, every show could be on the ballot.

The academy has an Awards Committee that handles the Emmys every year. The awards for prime time programs are presented in August or September, and to be eligible, shows had to be aired on broadcast or cable television during prime time (6 p.m. to 2 a.m.) between June1 and May 31. Also, they had to be seen in markets representing at least 51 percent of the television viewers in the United States. People who worked on eligible shows can nominate themselves for awards. Teams of people can enter in more than one category as long as each entry is for a different program. The entrants have to pay a fee, the amount of which is based on whether the nomination is commercial, individual or for a program, and the size of the team for team entries. Entrants can mail or fax in their entries.

Television producers often advertise in the trade press before the Emmy nominations are turned in, trying to get voters to notice their shows. And, of course, after the nominations are announced, more ads go out as the producers promote their shows' nominations.

http://entertainment.howstuffworks.com/emmy1.htm

Edited by millennium
  • Love 1
11 minutes ago, GaT said:

Well before they could have submitted every year but had no shot in the world compared to their reality show competition like Survivor and Amazing Race.

Now that they made the "structured" and "unstructured" Emmy categories, they may have more of a shot but still don't get nominated while things like "Million Dollar Listings" do. 

I expect I am Cait to get one before Keeping Up. I am Cait had a lot of Emmy bait scenes to submit.

I don't know, I think she has already worn out her welcome with the media and the public. She's going to find herself quickly forgotten and out of the public eye and you know that's not the future she imagined for herself. I'm not sure I even see her getting a nom. 

(edited)
2 hours ago, Fostersmom said:

I don't know, I think she has already worn out her welcome with the media and the public. She's going to find herself quickly forgotten and out of the public eye and you know that's not the future she imagined for herself. I'm not sure I even see her getting a nom. 

I dunno. We're still seeing a good amount of evidence that CAA is continuing to manage to buy Caitlyn lots of "goodies" for her ego bag. Do we really think a guest arc on Transparent showed up out of thin air?  Or a new H&M ad campaign that legitimate fashion icons would kill for, but just gets handed to her? 

Oh... this is new. And the way the story is spun a lot of people will turn this around to be sympathetic to Caitlyn. Bet your bottom dollar that people who recently hated her will start championing her again, because that's how the Idiocracy on the Internet works. Shades of meaning disappear and if you see someone "picked on" people will grab the two extremes of agreeing or fighting it rather than the true middle state, that Jenner is still a turd even if this attack on her goes into the gutter (talking about transgender culture like it's nothing but sex workers).  

'She's a cross-dressing man!' Rupert Everett launches shocking attack on Caitlyn Jenner

Edited by Kromm
  • Love 1
10 hours ago, Kromm said:

I dunno. We're still seeing a good amount of evidence that CAA is continuing to manage to buy Caitlyn lots of "goodies" for her ego bag. Do we really think a guest arc on Transparent showed up out of thin air?  Or a new H&M ad campaign that legitimate fashion icons would kill for, but just gets handed to her? 

Oh... this is new. And the way the story is spun a lot of people will turn this around to be sympathetic to Caitlyn. Bet your bottom dollar that people who recently hated her will start championing her again, because that's how the Idiocracy on the Internet works. Shades of meaning disappear and if you see someone "picked on" people will grab the two extremes of agreeing or fighting it rather than the true middle state, that Jenner is still a turd even if this attack on her goes into the gutter (talking about transgender culture like it's nothing but sex workers).  

'She's a cross-dressing man!' Rupert Everett launches shocking attack on Caitlyn Jenner

Do I think Caitlyn is an opportunists person, yes. However, Rupert Everett needs to sit down. He's already enraged the LGB community due to his previous comments and only has himself to blame for the downfall of his career.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, maraleia said:

Do I think Caitlyn is an opportunists person, yes. However, Rupert Everett needs to sit down. He's already enraged the LGB community due to his previous comments and only has himself to blame for the downfall of his career.

Did the T's get thrown out?

I think the reaction to RE's comments might be greater if he were someone of note, but he isn't.   He's currently playing a consumptive conniver on a canceled series.   He has no clout.

That said, I think he echoes a lot of people's feelings towards Jenner.  

9 hours ago, millennium said:

Did the T's get thrown out?

I think the reaction to RE's comments might be greater if he were someone of note, but he isn't.   He's currently playing a consumptive conniver on a canceled series.   He has no clout.

That said, I think he echoes a lot of people's feelings towards Jenner.  

Rupert didn't acknowledge transgender people when he was complaining about how being an out actor has ruined his career. He's said that any gay person (and by gay he mean gay, lesbian, bisexual) who wants to act should stay closeted. Like I said he needs to sit down and shut up.

3 hours ago, maraleia said:

Rupert didn't acknowledge transgender people when he was complaining about how being an out actor has ruined his career. He's said that any gay person (and by gay he mean gay, lesbian, bisexual) who wants to act should stay closeted. Like I said he needs to sit down and shut up.

Who are we to judge his perspective on this point?   Do you find it impossible that he was a victim of bias?   As I recall, being out and gay in Hollywood wasn't exactly trending when he came out.   It was the stuff of malignant supermarket tabloid headlines.   I remember people saying, "How can he credibly play a straight leading man now?"   It seems entirely plausible to me that his career was negatively affected.

I don't understand the intolerance people have for unpleasant truths.   Why can't Everett's viewpoint and advocacy coexist?   You say "he needs to shut up and sit down."   Why not a more tempered response like, "What happened to Rupert Everett is a prime example of why there needs to be more education and acceptance in show business, or in any business."

There's no rule that everyone has to be on board with the whole "Caitlyn Jenner is a brave and beautiful woman" marketing campaign.   For better or worse, everyone is still entitled to his or her own opinion.  

• Love 8
(edited)

Jenner goes full-on delusional, says she's on a mission from God -- and manages to remind everyone of her own awesomeness as a male, in case they forgot.

Jenner says that she feels her transition could be her way to, “in God’s eyes, make a difference” for other transgender people.

“This is how I explain myself,” she said. “God’s looking down and he’s making little Bruce. He said, ‘What are we gonna do with this one? Let’s give him good looks, make him intelligent, make him athletic, that’s kind of cool. Let’s make him really athletic that’s even cooler.’ He gets to the end and goes, ‘Look at all these wonderful qualities we’ve given this one. But everybody’s got their stuff, what are we going to give this one to deal with?’ He sits back, chuckles, and says, ‘Let’s give this one the soul of a female and see what happens.’”

http://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2016/06/what-is-gender-anyway/488825/

Soul of a female?   Where?

Edited by millennium
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, millennium said:

Jenner says that she feels her transition could be her way to, “in God’s eyes, make a difference” for other transgender people.

“This is how I explain myself,” she said. “God’s looking down and he’s making little Bruce. He said, ‘What are we gonna do with this one? Let’s give him good looks, make him intelligent, make him athletic, that’s kind of cool. Let’s make him really athletic that’s even cooler.’ He gets to the end and goes, ‘Look at all these wonderful qualities we’ve given this one. But everybody’s got their stuff, what are we going to give this one to deal with?’ He sits back, chuckles, and says, ‘Let’s give this one the soul of a female and see what happens.’”

HOLY. SHIT.

• Love 3

She really needs to go away so the rest of the transgender community can do the work they've been doing for decades without her celebrity getting in the way of progress. I wonder if her show crew will be distancing themselves from her in future.

• Love 1
(edited)
54 minutes ago, maraleia said:

She really needs to go away so the rest of the transgender community can do the work they've been doing for decades without her celebrity getting in the way of progress. I wonder if her show crew will be distancing themselves from her in future.

I agree with you, but I would add that the problem of Caitlyn Jenner's celebrity is compounded exponentially by her all-consuming ego, arrogance, and ignorance.  

I would also venture that the reports of Bruce Jenner's death have been greatly exaggerated.

Edited by millennium
  • Love 3
14 hours ago, millennium said:

Jenner goes full-on delusional, says she's on a mission from God -- and manages to remind everyone of her own awesomeness as a male, in case they forgot.

Soul of a female?   Where?

You think that's the most alarming part of that?  It actually isn't. It's the pure narcissism of how Caitlyn Jenner talks about herself (or should we in this one case be talking about Bruce, since it's arguably Caitlyn looking back on how God formed Bruce into this being who was near perfect other than this one thing).

The fact that Caitlyn keeps referring to her past using male pronouns and her former name doesn't help the cause either because Jazz Jennings, Janet Mock, Chaz Bono, Laverne Cox et. al. don't do this. Her narcissism is so present she can't see beyond herself like a certain guy running for president.

• Love 1
38 minutes ago, maraleia said:

The fact that Caitlyn keeps referring to her past using male pronouns and her former name doesn't help the cause either because Jazz Jennings, Janet Mock, Chaz Bono, Laverne Cox et. al. don't do this. Her narcissism is so present she can't see beyond herself like a certain guy running for president.

That would and could come off as a peculiar, but understandable personal choice if the rest of the narrative wasn't about how utterly perfectly formed Bruce was. 

(edited)
2 hours ago, Kromm said:

You think that's the most alarming part of that?  It actually isn't. It's the pure narcissism of how Caitlyn Jenner talks about herself (or should we in this one case be talking about Bruce, since it's arguably Caitlyn looking back on how God formed Bruce into this being who was near perfect other than this one thing).

Let me tell you what I see in those few lines.   It's no secret that I have always considered Jenner's posturing as a woman a bluff.   I think she's doing it for the money and the fame first and foremost, and perhaps out of autogynephilic impulses second.  She speaks of having a female soul, but I think the only thing female about her is her court-designated legal status.  

This has been going on a year now, but in the statement above I think Jenner unwittingly betrayed who and what she really is at heart, even as she makes a fortune on the back of the transgender community.

It is said that when someone is bluffing, they often give themselves away with a "tell."  Jenner's tell is in her perspective:

“God’s looking down and he’s making little Bruce. He said, ‘What are we gonna do with this one? Let’s give him good looks, make him intelligent, make him athletic, that’s kind of cool. Let’s make him really athletic that’s even cooler.’ He gets to the end and goes, ‘Look at all these wonderful qualities we’ve given this one. But everybody’s got their stuff, what are we going to give this one to deal with?’ He sits back, chuckles, and says, ‘Let’s give this one the soul of a female and see what happens.’”

Someone who truly feels they were born with the wrong body would tell a different anecdote.

They would say God created a perfect female soul, and just for laughs clothed it in a male body -- not the other way around.

Jenner's perspective is 100% arrogant, egotistical male.   It's just like a man to view the gift of a female soul as an affliction, a curse or a divine practical joke.

Most if not all transgender people regard their former self as the flawed being, the bad masquerade, and their new self, while far from perfect, as truer to who they are.   They would not go around trying to convince the world of how incredible and perfect they were as their former self, or make it sound like like they got a demotion by transitioning.

Maraleia likened Jenner to Donald Trump.   It's a comparison I have made in the past myself.

But it occurs to me now that Jenner has more in common with another public figure -- like Jenner herself, a former champion from the world of sports:

Lance Armstrong.

Jenner's charade needs to end, before she does any further harm and, as Maraleia said, "so the rest of the transgender community can do the work they've been doing for decades."

Edited by millennium
  • Love 3

On a lighter note, Bruce Jenner was an answer (well, a guess on a fill-in-the-blank) on the new Match Game.

As it happens, of all the possible Bruce _______s, Jenner was not one the audience voted for at all.

43 minutes ago, Kromm said:

On a lighter note, Bruce Jenner was an answer (well, a guess on a fill-in-the-blank) on the new Match Game.

As it happens, of all the possible Bruce _______s, Jenner was not one the audience voted for at all.

On a semi-related note, I was just watching Jeopardy and the answer to the question was "Who is Kanye West" and all of the very intelligent contestants stood there in silence, stumped. 

It was reassuring.

• Love 3

It isn't surprising.   I get a strong sense she still wants to be "one of the boys," but one who gets to dress like a girl.  

The genius of it is that the whole world is forced to play along.

• Love 1

A number of prominent LGBTQ people are tweeting that we need to ignore whatever Caitlyn says based on the article I posted above. Her fall from grace is going to be swift and painful now that she's endorsed Donald.

• Love 1

To be honest, I don't think Jenner gives a hoot what the LGBT community thinks of her.   In my opinion, she used GLAAD, Jennifer Boylan and the others as stepping stones.   Her affiliation with them was a ploy to give her transition an air of legitimacy and purpose.  She couldn't have the world thinking she transitioned for no other reason than dressing up, otherwise there would be no courage awards, no public sympathy or encouragement, probably few if any product endorsements.  She exploited everyone's hopes and good intentions to convince the world she's a transgender crusader.    That has now been achieved.   Mainstream America regards her as an activist, even if the LGBT community knows she's a fraud. 

It's ironic.   The LGBT community helped to create this monster, but now she's so much bigger than them that they'll never be able to take her down.  

• Love 3

.My bad.   This person makes me see red, and this time the red got in the way of me seeing the full picture.   It appears the video I remarked upon was a spoof and the joke went right over my head.   Gaah.

Edited by millennium
  • Love 3

Well we are getting our wish based on initial reports. The show is getting canceled. I'm so glad for this development because the trans women involved with this show need to run as far and fast from Caitlyn as possible. http://radaronline.com/celebrity-news/i-am-cait-canceled-caitlyn-jenner-reality-show-over-two-seasons/

I think that the lack of viewers and her support of the anti-LGBT GOP were the nails in the coffin.

I will say this again. Even if we don't like her we still have to use the proper pronoun and name for her because to do the opposite is in turn transphobic to the entire transgender community.

• Love 1

Caitlyn Jenner and E! deny reports network has canceled ‘I Am Cait’

A rumor spread by trashy gossip website Radar Online that E! has canceled I Am Cait is false, say the high-profile publicist for Caitlyn Jenner as well as a spokeswoman for the network.

“No decision has been made,” said the spokeswoman for E! in an email to LGBTQ Nation. Alan Nierob, co-president of entertainment worldwide at Rogers and Cowan and Jenner’s personal publicist and spokesman, echoed that message in a separate email, stating, “Not to our knowledge.”

The continued withholding of ratings information for Season 2 does not bode well for renewal.    Even now, months after Season 2 ended, no ratings have been reported beyond Episode 2. 

We saw Jenner's personal appearance tour canceled earlier this year for lack of ticket sales.   (I wonder how her planned "motivational speaker" career is working for her.)

Maybe E! execs are awaiting the verdict from Jenner's Transparent appearances.   If the reviews are positive, they may try to extend the 15 minutes (yet again) with a Season 3.    Given Jenner's wooden personality, though, critical acclaim seems a reach. 

Adding to her problems, this latest headline may reopen not-so-old wounds.  We all clearly remember the police statement that no paparazzi were chasing Jenner when her truck rear-ended Kim Howe's car and killed the poor woman.

And yet:

Caitlyn Jenner Sues Paparazzi Alleging They Share Responsibility in Fatal Car Accident

The lawsuit reads, in part:

"As a direct consequence and result of this stalking, harassing and distracting conduct, [Jenner] was visually distracted, and the negligence and reckless conduct of the Stalker Defendants did contribute to the cause of an accident where seconds and split seconds mattered," the document reads.

Apparently she is trying to pre-empt a finding of liability against her.  (I'm no lawyer, but "[Jenner] was visually distracted" sounds like an admission of culpability to me.)

Jenner didn't accept responsibility for the crash.   Then the state prosecutor declined to press charges, for reasons that failed to convince the public that she was blameless.  

Now she's trying to revive an excuse that seemed to have been debunked back when the crash happened.   I wonder if the lawsuit names specific photographers (wouldn't the People piece say so if it did?)

I doubt it will win her many fans or whip up feelings of sympathy and popularity.

Edited by millennium
  • Love 1

Here's part of a report on the crash from February 2015, in the LA Times.   Bolding is mine:

Authorities on Sunday identified the driver killed in a multivehicle crash in Malibu involving former Olympian Bruce Jenner.

The driver was identified as Kim Howe, 69, of Calabasas, who died at the scene following the noontime crash Saturday on Pacific Coast Highway, Los Angeles County sheriff's officials said.

Howe's Lexus slammed into a Toyota Prius that had slowed down or stopped on the highway, officials said. Jenner, driving a black Cadillac Escalade hauling a trailer with an off-road vehicle, then rear-ended the Lexus, sending it into oncoming traffic, where it collided head-on with a Hummer traveling southbound.

Authorities investigating the crash said Saturday that they plan to examine the cellphone records of Jenner and other motorists involved in the accident to see whether they were texting at the time.

Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department Cmdr. Mike Parker said detectives and traffic investigators will examine the phone records as they try to piece together what happened.

Sgt. Philip Brooks said Sunday that a photo taken before the collision shows Bruce Jenner holding a cellphone, but it's unclear exactly when the photo was taken.

Officials said there is no indication that paparazzi played a role in the crash ...

Motorist killed in crash involving Bruce Jenner is identified

How does Jenner expect to get away with blaming the paparazzi?  The official report states that no paparazzi were involved.

Edited by millennium
  • Love 1

It would be funny if the paparazzi retaliated by imposing a blackout on Jenner.   If they got together and refused to photograph her in the absurd outfits, on the lunch dates, attending premieres, all that.

It would destroy her.

• Love 5