Type keyword(s) to search

I Am Cait in the Media

Surprise.

Caitlyn Jenner wins Teen Choice award for Social Media Queen.

*groan*  Well, shit.

I see that icky little thing Justin Bieber won Social Media King. Well, do we get to see the two of them together wearing crowns or something?

Just touch the hem of Caitlyn's dress and all your troubles will be cured.

I don't doubt that Caitlyn "won her over". I don't even think that part is pure spin-control. Caitlyn wouldn't have had the motivational speaking career she's had for decades if she wasn't very charming--very good at persuasion.  The main reason it's failing now on the show (for some--others not at all) is that there's a level removed when you're role playing on a fake TV show vs. making a speech to somebody, or even better, looking them in the eye in a one to one conversation. All the fakeness just get highlighted when we're watching Caitlyn pretend to understand what it's like to be one of the little people.

Surprise.

Caitlyn Jenner wins Teen Choice award for Social Media Queen.

Well, you get what you pay for. Right?

Any clue what fake honor or reward she purchases next?  I would have joked "a knighthood", but those aren't gender neutral. What do they call the female version again?  A Damehood?  Yuck. Dame Caitlyn. I bet you can buy one from some small European Principality or something, with a token royal with no other real power than to hand out stuff like that and wave in parades or something.

I don't doubt that Caitlyn "won her over". I don't even think that part is pure spin-control. Caitlyn wouldn't have had the motivational speaking career she's had for decades if she wasn't very charming--very good at persuasion.  The main reason it's failing now on the show (for some--others not at all) is that there's a level removed when you're role playing on a fake TV show vs. making a speech to somebody, or even better, looking them in the eye in a one to one conversation. All the fakeness just get highlighted when we're watching Caitlyn pretend to understand what it's like to be one of the little people.

Well, you get what you pay for. Right?

Any clue what fake honor or reward she purchases next?  I would have joked "a knighthood", but those aren't gender neutral. What do they call the female version again?  A Damehood?  Yuck. Dame Caitlyn. I bet you can buy one from some small European Principality or something, with a token royal with no other real power than to hand out stuff like that and wave in parades or something.

Scott bought a title.. why not Cait?

Kim of all the family members is more a choice as Social Media Queen.

Scott bought a title.. why not Cait?

Kim of all the family members is more a choice as Social Media Queen.

Agreed. You don't have to like--or even respect--someone for that title to make sense.

What makes zero sense is awarding it to someone who sent their first tweet ever IN RESPONSE to getting (er, I mean "purchasing") the nomination.

Seriously.

Edited by Kromm

I watched the whole damn show just to see her "crowned" but they didn't show it. They only presented a small fraction of the winners, I think the oldest one there was Britney Spears, who won for her influence on Fashion. She got a huge response, although - gasp! - I think she's over 30.

I watched the whole damn show just to see her "crowned" but they didn't show it. They only presented a small fraction of the winners, I think the oldest one there was Britney Spears, who won for her influence on Fashion. She got a huge response, although - gasp! - I think she's over 30.

I find myself wondering if the original plan had been to air her acceptance, but someone had a dose of common sense and realized how odd it would actually be to march some old lady out on stage in the middle of that crowd.

Although people older than Britney WERE there. Ellen Degeneres was, for example.

I didn't see any of it but on the news this morning I did see a clip of Ellen Degeneres', age 57,  speech as she accepted the Choice Comedian Award. She's getting all kinds of press/praise for the speech. 

Edited by Cosmocrush

New York Times recap of episode 4: http://artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com/2015/08/17/i-am-cait-recap-episode-4-kim-kardashian-family-interference/

You can argue about whether or not you like the word “freak” (I personally do) but [Kate Bornstein]’s making a larger point—the more mainstream and palatable sections of L.G.B.T. activism have a long history of neglecting those who are less so.

“I Am Cait” was always going to be a work about transgender issues geared for nontransgender people. Its best moments come when Cait and other trans women directly address issues, as she and Ms. Bornstein did this week. As for the other scenes—we’ve seen all that before.

• Love 1

I think that's a vastly flawed article and several parts of it actually quite bothered me.

First, it quite bothered me that someone who writes for the New York Times would actually talk about events seen on a show like this as if they're real. For example (although the piece is filled with this):

No! This is such a mean thing to ever say to any trans person. Cait takes it stoically, and makes a joke in response, but there’s a beat before that moment. It’s similar to a moment later in which Cait calmly says that other family members have stopped calling since she transitioned — you can hear the buried hurt in her voice.

It just seems like bad journalism.  ESPECIALLY when you have to make disclaimers like the following in your piece.

Manipulated reality drama or not, the burden of this transgender person to do everything right (and then get blamed anyway) and for her sacrifice and pain to not register to others, is real and familiar.

The "Manipulated reality drama or not" is EXACTLY the point, but it's being treated by a supposed serious journalist like it's barely relevant. As for the second part of that statement? I agree it probably applies fairly routinely to most transgender people and that ain't a good thing. But to act like Caitlyn Jenner is in the same boat--unfairly being universally dumped on? That's ludicrous, when we're not only being presented with fiction posing as reality, but also a person, a human being, clearly and quite deliberately carving out an existence dependent on provoking public reaction. It comes off as quite unsavory to pose someone like that as the eternal victim when they quite literally have put themselves in that position intentionally.

Getting back to the part that supposedly caused this deep hurt in Caitlyn?  Lets read how it's described...

Though at one point Kim snidely says of Cait’s insensitivity: “You still have a little Bruce in you. I thought Caitlyn would be a little kinder.”

This seems to get back to the ridiculous notion that Caitlyn is somehow now a new person, a DIFFERENT person. and on the face of it (besides seeming mean being said), SEEMS at least to imply Kim is simply being her usual ignorant self in referring to Caitlyn vs. Bruce in that way. Not to defend Kim (who would?), but isn't this exactly in line with how we've heard Caitlyn HERSELF refer to the different versions of herself? Taking away the potential spite in the "thought would be nicer" part, isn't the confusion over the division between Bruce and Caitlyn pretty understandable given an environment where Caitlyn herself hasn't been clear about that to the people around her? The writer of the piece wants to simply hand-wave this away as typical anti-Trans meanness (although the writer DOES at least admit Cait was being insensitive), rather than examine why Kim is making a statement talking about the relationship between Bruce and Caitlyn.  I mean it's likely all fake, but if you're going to write a whole Recap discussing it if it's real, then examine ALL of the questions from that perspective, not just the ones that fit the axe you are grinding.

Edited by Kromm
  • Love 4

I think that's a vastly flawed article and several parts of it actually quite bothered me.

First, it quite bothered me that someone who writes for the New York Times would actually talk about events seen on a show like this as if they're real. For example (although the piece is filled with this):

It just seems like bad journalism. ESPECIALLY when you have to make disclaimers like the following in your piece.

The "Manipulated reality drama or not" is EXACTLY the point, but it's being treated by a supposed serious journalist like it's barely relevant. As for the second part of that statement? I agree it probably applies fairly routinely to most transgender people and that ain't a good thing. But to act like Caitlyn Jenner is in the same boat--unfairly being universally dumped on? That's ludicrous, when we're not only being presented with fiction posing as reality, but also a person, a human being, clearly and quite deliberately carving out an existence dependent on provoking public reaction. It comes off as quite unsavory to pose someone like that as the eternal victim when they quite literally have put themselves in that position intentionally.

Getting back to the part that supposedly caused this deep hurt in Caitlyn? Lets read how it's described...

This seems to get back to the ridiculous notion that Caitlyn is somehow now a new person, a DIFFERENT person. and on the face of it (besides seeming mean being said), SEEMS at least to imply Kim is simply being her usual ignorant self in referring to Caitlyn vs. Bruce in that way. Not to defend Kim (who would?), but isn't this exactly in line with how we've heard Caitlyn HERSELF refer to the different versions of herself? Taking away the potential spite in the "thought would be nicer" part, isn't the confusion over the division between Bruce and Caitlyn pretty understandable given an environment where Caitlyn herself hasn't been clear about that to the people around her? The writer of the piece wants to simply hand-wave this away as typical anti-Trans meanness (although the writer DOES at least admit Cait was being insensitive), rather than examine why Kim is making a statement talking about the relationship between Bruce and Caitlyn. I mean it's likely all fake, but if you're going to write a whole Recap discussing it if it's real, then examine ALL of the questions from that perspective, not just the ones that fit the axe you are grinding.

Thank you for writing this, Kromm; you said it better than I could have.

It bothered me when Caitlyn would refer to herself in the third person back before she transitioned, but I could not articulate why. I mean -- "a rose by any other name" applies here, doesn't it?

Edited by Adiba

I was hoping the shitty ratings would spare the world a Season 2 of this farce, but ...

Caitlyn Jenner Humiliated As Kris Steps In To Save ‘I Am Cait’ From Cancellation
Posted on Aug 17, 2015 @ 9:15AM

Caitlyn Jenner‘s struggling reality show is about to get a boost — but she’s not happy about it. RadarOnline.com has learned that executives at E! have decided that only her ex Kris Jenner can save the struggling show!

According to insiders, the next season of I Am Cait will air after Keeping Up With The Kardashians, riding on Kris’ momager coattails.

“I Am Cait is losing viewers every week, losing viewers every week,” an insider told Radar. “So E! has decided that for the second season, it will air after Keeping Up With The Kardashians.”

“Caitlyn isn’t happy that once again, she will be dependent on the Kardashians for success, and she absolutely hates losing to Kris.”

Meanwhile, the source said, “Kris has been telling producers at E!, that if she had been involved with I Am Cait from the beginning, it would have been a hit.”

I Am Cait had more than a 50 percent drop from the premiere show in its second week, pulling in only 1.3 million viewers. It continued to lose in the third week.

Kris recently filmed a reunion with her former spouse, at Caitlyn’s Malibu mansion, in an attempt to boost ratings.

“Never wanting to miss an opportunity to further advance her public image, Kris knew it would be a good thing to have the reunion with Caitlyn filmed,” an insider previously told Radar. “They were both in full hair and make-up, and dressed very fashionably.”

For Caitlyn, “it’s the absolute humiliation, asking Kris to become involved with the show,” the source explained. “She really wanted to do this on her own, with no help from any of the Kardashians.”

http://radaronline.com/celebrity-news/caitlyn-jenner-humiliation-keeping-up-with-kardashians/

“They were both in full hair and make-up"

How come nobody's ever in partial hair?

Edited by millennium
  • Love 4

“They were both in full hair and make-up"

How come nobody's ever in partial hair?

LOL!   I think partial hair is just their real hair - full hair talks a couple hours and about five pounds of extensions and hairpieces added by an expensive hair stylist.

http://www.starpulse.com/news/index.php/2015/08/18/caitlyn-jenner-surgery-i-am-cait-star-

Starpulse, August 8, 2015," Caitlyn Jenner Surgery: 'I Am Cait' Star Planning Feminization Laryngoplasty To Change Voice"

The original story is in the National Enquirer, but I linked to the Starpluse article first because it has a little more information.

Apparently Caitlyn is considering surgery to feminize her voice, after not getting good results with a vocal coach. The surgery is called feminization laryngoplasty, "which involves making the voice box smaller, and shortening the vocal cords to raise the pitch."  It's risky. The article says "It is possible that Caitlyn could lose her voice altogether, which is a risk that she seems willing to take."

This seems pretty extreme to me, but the National Enquirer article says this surgery is often performed on male-to-female transgenders. Here's the original NE article:

http://www.nationalenquirer.com/celebrity/caitlyn-jenner-lose-her-big-manly-voice

National Enquirer, Aug. 17, 2015, "Caitlyn Jenner to lose her big manly voice."

She would have the surgery done after the filming of the I Am Cait show is finished, since the recovery requires that she not speak for two weeks.

I'm not sure what to think about this news. The National Enquirer is not exactly known for telling the truth. But it's true that Caitlyn seems to be very unhappy with her voice. Of course it doesn't sound like a feminine voice, but to me it never sounded like a "big manly voice" either, before the transition. It's always been kind of a thin reedy voice, odd for someone who has had a long career doing public speaking. You'd think she would have gotten a voice coach years ago to help with the public speaking.

I'm just afraid she won't be as satisfied as she thinks she'll be with a higher voice. What will she decide she needs to fix next? Will she decide she's too tall, or her feet are too big?

There are limits to what surgeries you can do to change your body. Does anybody remember the TV movie "Life and Loves of a She-Devil," adapted from Fay Weldon's novel? I mean the original BBC production starring the very tall and athletic-looking Julie T. Wallace, true to the book's character, not the crummy American remake starring short dumpy Roseanne Barr. The title character, Ruth, was a tall, big-boned, ugly woman who wanted revenge on her husband, who had left her for his mistress, short delicate Mary Fisher. I won't go into all the plot details here, but part of Ruth's diabolical plan is to have extreme plastic surgery to transform herself into the image of Mary. One thing Ruth demands the surgeon do is cut sections out of her long legs so she'll be as short as Mary. The surgeon objects, citing the risks of doing such extreme surgery for vanity, but Ruth is paying him so much he agrees to do it. She wants him to make her hands smaller too. He draws the line there and flatly refuses to operate on her hands, so she says she'll wear gloves the rest of her life.

In real life, surgeons do perform leg shortening or lengthening surgery, but it's done as a medical necessity to correct legs of unequal length due to disease, muscle problems, injury or birth defects. 

http://www.surgeryencyclopedia.com/La-Pa/Leg-Lengthening-Shortening.html

Sorry I wandered a bit off track there. It's just that Caitlyn has already had so much surgery, and now she wants more. She seems to have some self-image she's trying to actualize of a supremely beautiful, youthful and glamorous woman. She's already been widely accepted as a transgender woman, but that isn't enough for her. Maybe this is the result of spending so many years with the Kardashians, who are addicted to plastic surgery, Botox, butt injections, facial fillers, false eyelashes, and every other enhancement they can find.

Edited by Coffeecup
  • Love 4

I'm just afraid she won't be as satisfied as she thinks she'll be with a higher voice. What will she decide she needs to fix next? Will she decide she's too tall, or her feet are too big?

Bring on the surgeons!  Maybe instead of transgender people she ought to invite Jocelyn Wildenstein on the show or Monique Allen.

From what I've read of voice modification via vocal coach, it doesn't happen overnight.   You have to work at it, sometimes for as long as a year or two.

Even if she were to have her voice surgically altered, the timbre is only part of it.   There's annunciation, breathing, inflection, an awareness of how women phrase things, word choice ...

But I think the biggest hurdle she faces in matching her outward appearance to her inner ideal is that there's nothing feminine about her.   That quality comes from the inside and influences speech, movement, walking, everything.   Despite all the hair and makeup and clothes, it's just not there.   It's like paint by number -- all the colors are in the right place, but there's no art.

I don't think there's a surgery for that.

Edited by millennium
  • Love 3

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2015/08/18/chelsea-manning-solitary/31956953/

Chelsea Manning, the transgender Army private convicted of leaking national security secrets, was found guilty on Tuesday of four prison infractions.

She was charged with disrespect of a prison officer and accused of having books and magazines, including Vanity Fair and Cosmopolitan, among other offenses. Prison documents noted that the Cosmopolitan issue included an interview with Manning and the Vanity Fair had Caitlyn Jenner on the cover.

Caitllyn can changed her voice all ske wants... But she'll never pass as a woman visually. She's too awkward and ungainly. She carries her purse like a lunch box. She has man hands and from the rear she has no ass at all. I guess ass implants will be next.

• Love 2

"The Caitlyn Jenner effect: Real Housewives casts first transgender star" http://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2015/aug/18/real-housewives-atlanta-transgender-star-amiyah-scott

For the first time in Real Housewives history, the American flagship channel has cast a transgender woman to its Atlanta edition. Amiyah Scott began her transition 10 years ago, when she was 17. She is to join next season, replacing NeNe Leakes on the show, alongside fellow new addition Kim Fields.

And the hits keep coming.   Make of it what you will:

Kris Jenner Proposing Caitlyn Jenner Remarry Her On Reality Show — Report

Kris Jenner has reportedly concocted the craziest, most insane plan of all time! To rake in the dough and crank up the ratings, Kris wants to get remarried to Caitlyn Jenner in a fabulous TV wedding, according to a new report!

When Kim Kardashian, 34, shared the first ever pic of Kris Jenner, 59, and Caitlyn Jenner, 65,  together on August 7, fans went nuts and a money-sign shaped light bulb popped up in Kris’ head. “Kris is talking to Caitlyn about getting remarried” on TV, according to a new report, and the idea of pulling off this “stunt” makes the momager “deliriously happy!”

“Kris is desperate for attention and validation and wants to feel she’s still a viable producer and reality star,” an insider spilled to InTouch.”She’s not only ready to burry the hatchet with Caitlyn, but she wants Caitlyn to help her pull off one of the most outrageous stunts of her career: Kris is talking to Caitlyn about getting remarried.”

“Kris thinks it’s one of her finest ideas ever and that people will go nuts to see her and Caitlyn standing side by side in glamorous designer wedding attire. She’s giddy over the idea. The image of her and Caitlyn — whom Kris privately still refers to as Bruce, by the way — reunited for a fabulous TV wedding makes her deliriously happy,” the insider added.

“Kris marrying Caitlyn would be ratings gold for the network airing the ceremony,” media expert David Johnson told the mag. “A special like this could bring in as much as $15 million, and brands would want to be highlighted for donating their wares.”

But the craziest part of this whole plan is that Caitlyn is considering it! Caitlyn “is seriously thinking about it. Her new reality show hasn’t taken off like she hoped, and she misses the excitement of Keeping Up With The Kardashians and the media glare — negative or positive — that came with it. She’s addicted to the fame machine just as much as Kris and the Kardashian girls are,” the insider said.

http://hollywoodlife.com/2015/08/19/kris-caitlyn-jenner-remarried-tv-wedding-show-money/

Even if it's tabloid b.s., these people are so shameless that it seems like something that might be true.

Edited by millennium
  • Love 3

Agreed.  This seems unlikely, but the Kartrashian and Jenjerks are so despicable if there's ANYONE who might stoop this low it would be them. Kris would (has) literally sold her own children for a buck, and Caitlyn is currently showing every sign of being as authentic as a three dollar bill, and buying her own way through reality fame.

So... skeptical.  But that's because of the logistics and the pure audacity to do something this transparent (no pun intended). Not because these people aren't capable of it.

Edited by Kromm

http://hollywoodlife.com/2015/08/19/kris-caitlyn-jenner-remarried-tv-wedding-show-money/

Caitlyn “is seriously thinking about it. Her new reality show hasn’t taken off like she hoped, and she misses the excitement of Keeping Up With The Kardashians and the media glare—negative or positive—that came with it. She’s addicted to the fame machine just as much as Kris and the Kardashian girls are,” the insider said.

They say the best lies contain a kernel of truth, and this part rings 100% real to me.

Edited by editorgrrl

Caitlyn will face misdemeanor manslaughter charges on car accident. Just reported.

I'm sorry, but that's not correct. At least today it isn't.

Variety: Caitlyn Jenner Could Face Manslaughter Charge in Deadly Malibu Crash

“The case will be submitted to the district attorney next week,” Lt. Shaun Mathers of the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department said.

Repeat the "will" thing next week and it might be true at that point.  We shall see.

IF it happens (and that's a HUGE "if" because of politics, spin, and money), the possible consequence:

A misdemeanor manslaughter charge usually carries a one-year jail sentence.

But that's iffy too.  Even if a conviction follows (again, another huge "if"--and it might take some time to go to trial), they could just as easily give probation.  Or house arrest (although with a publicity hound like Caitlyn Jenner house arrest might actually bother her almost as much as a cell).

Edited by Kromm
  • Love 2

She probably wouldn't go to jail, according to this article:

http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/caitlyn-jenner-sheriffs-department-recommending-charges-fatal-crash/story?id=33206367

ABC News, Aug. 20, 2015, "Caitlyn Jenner: Sheriff's Department Recommending Charges in Fatal Crash"

"A misdemeanor could technically result in jail time, but experts have told ABC News that, even if convicted, Jenner would be unlikely to face jail time for a misdemeanor charge because of her clean record. But it's clear, authorities say, the chain-reaction accident began with her."

The other thing we have to remember is that California routinely lets people out of jail early because of prison overcrowding. Remember when Lindsay Lohan only had to serve about two hours of her sentence?  California is also very lenient when the accused is a celebrity, often not even giving them any jail time, or even a conviction, at all. Celebrities walk away from charges that would get the rest of us locked up for a long time. Celebrity status + money + power + good lawyers + good contacts = little or no punishment.

Still, I'm glad that something is being done about the death of Kim Howe in the accident.

I don't think we needed that article to tell us any of that actually. Wth a guilty, probation really is the most likely outcome. Again, that's even if she's found guilty.  And if she's even charged. Which is unlikely because of the "picking on the Arthur Ashe Award Courage Award Winning Hero" factor Jenner has managed to provide as a bulwark against that. She's created a situation (possibly intentionally--thus explaining the hurry hurry schedule on "I Am Cait" being produced when half her family thought it was a bad idea) on where if they try and prosecute, the D.A. is going to be painted as anti-Transgender/Transphobic. 

Most likely outcome: no charges.

Second most likely outcome: a long delayed trial with a not guilty

Third most likely outcome: a plea bargain down to probation.

Fourth most likely outcome: a long delayed trial, but with no real consequences (probably the same probation--although as I said before if you get a hard ass judge they could even do some kind of house arrest kind of thing.  No way Caitlyn Jenner spends more than a night in jail.

• Love 1

And the hits keep coming.   Make of it what you will:

Even if it's tabloid b.s., these people are so shameless that it seems like something that might be true.

Gossip Cop says nope, none of the "remarriage" crap is true.

http://www.gossipcop.com/kris-jenner-remarried-caitlyn-tv-wedding/

Gossip Cop, Aug. 19, 2015, "Kris And Caitlyn Jenner NOT Getting Remarried In TV Wedding, Despite Report"

"Kris and Caitlyn Jenner are not, repeat not, getting married again. Gossip Cop can exclusively bust this story, which was published in one of this week’s tabloids. We’re told it’s entirely not true and laughable...

"...the tabloid’s seemingly made-up 'inside'” says the 'craziest part' is that Caitlyn is 'seriously thinking about it.'

No, the craziest part is that no one at In Touch thought that maybe the magazine shouldn’t print such an entirely false and untrue story about Caitlyn and Kris Jenner. Or maybe the craziest part is that the staff at the tabloid thought readers might believe its story. Or perhaps the craziest part is that the magazine actually has sources who can so easily dupe it with utter insanity.

Whatever the scenario, Caitlyn and Kris are NOT getting remarried. Caitlyn’s rep exclusively tells Gossip Cop the report is completely laughable and 100 percent not true."

Hmmm... crazy like a fox. The story was clickbait, and In Touch got a lot of clicks.

Gossip Cop says nope, none of the "remarriage" crap is true.

http://www.gossipcop.com/kris-jenner-remarried-caitlyn-tv-wedding/

Gossip Cop, Aug. 19, 2015, "Kris And Caitlyn Jenner NOT Getting Remarried In TV Wedding, Despite Report"

"Kris and Caitlyn Jenner are not, repeat not, getting married again. Gossip Cop can exclusively bust this story, which was published in one of this week’s tabloids. We’re told it’s entirely not true and laughable...

"...the tabloid’s seemingly made-up 'inside'” says the 'craziest part' is that Caitlyn is 'seriously thinking about it.'

No, the craziest part is that no one at In Touch thought that maybe the magazine shouldn’t print such an entirely false and untrue story about Caitlyn and Kris Jenner. Or maybe the craziest part is that the staff at the tabloid thought readers might believe its story. Or perhaps the craziest part is that the magazine actually has sources who can so easily dupe it with utter insanity.

Whatever the scenario, Caitlyn and Kris are NOT getting remarried. Caitlyn’s rep exclusively tells Gossip Cop the report is completely laughable and 100 percent not true."

Hmmm... crazy like a fox. The story was clickbait, and In Touch got a lot of clicks.

LOL! They Haven't been offered enough money yet? 

Haha, that could be it!  They could test the waters with a teaser show:  "Cait and Kris Go On a Date."

That would be a VERY SPECIAL EPISODE for sure! Humm, Road trip, safari vaca, a mani/ pedi/ botox date, they could cut a rap song with Kanye's help, oh, I know-hot-air balloon ride!

Have I left out any reality show cliches?

Edited by xls
  • Love 2

And just for a moment, the "pink mist" parts and all talk of "transzillas" stops and everyone recalls that the "Queen of Social Media" is responsible for a woman's death.

But just for a moment.

Even if she never serves a day, if the charges are brought and upheld, it will bolster the wrongful death lawsuits against her.

The public's willingness to overlook this has been disgusting thus far.   Only in America could a celebrity cause a woman's death, lie about being "chased by paparazzi" and be given a nationally-televised award for courage a few months later.

Edited by millennium
  • Love 7

And just for a moment, the "pink mist" parts and all talk of "transzillas" stops and everyone recalls that the "Queen of Social Media" is responsible for a woman's death.

But just for a moment.

Even if she never serves a day, if the charges are brought and upheld, it will bolster the wrongful death lawsuits against her.

The public's willingness to overlook this has been disgusting thus far.   Only in America could a celebrity cause a woman's death, lie about being "chased by paparazzi" and be given a nationally-televised award for courage a few months later.

ITA! She's been Sainted. 

• Love 2

The police investigation into a deadly four-car accident involving Caitlyn Jenner is finished and the results could lead to a misdemeanor manslaughter charge against the reality television star, a Los Angeles County Sheriff's detective said Thursday.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/08/20/entertainment/caitlyn-jenner-accident-investigation/

ITA! She's been Sainted. 

Right, as I said upthread, that "could" is pretty crucial there.

I mean we've been sitting around here wondering out loud occasionally why someone who until recently really only used her fame as a launching pad for her family's own fame-moves and for the occasional motivational speaking gig would not only launch this show at this point against tons of people's advice, but also do such a hard-court press in terms of buying stuff like the Courage Award and even the shitty Teen's Choice thing. But maybe that's the very point: she's been sainted. Prosecutors are going to actually have to stick their necks out and risk being labeled as transgender persecutors if they charge her. 

The more this comes together the more I'd argue it's not even overly conspiracy theorish (especially since it's hardly bulletproof--the way public opinion turns the press still could have gone against Caitlyn enough that the prosecutors instead felt a "don't let a celeb off light" pressure). Hearing how Caitlyn bulldozed this show and press offensive forward so quickly and so hard, and how it was all basically in the middle of a police investigation she knew damn well was going on, hardly seems like a coincidence.

Even if they DO charge her, I'd argue the Jenner camp switches into long-term defense mode (which is why the bad ratings might be especially distressing for Caitlyn). If that happens though I bet you see a sudden stop to these short term press grabbing attempts and the start of longer term ones that pay off towards the end of this year, or some time next year instead.

She's not going to spend any time in jail with what's basically a driver negligence case. This is indeed all headed eventually towards those civil court cases.

I wouldn't think that all the smoking would help either. 

I think Caitlyn lives on Starbucks  and cigarettes to keep her weight down. That's why when she does eats she pretty much shovels the food in... she's starved.

Candis Cayne, From Chelsea Drag Queen to Caitlyn Jenner’s Sidekick http://www.nytimes.com/2015/08/23/fashion/caitlyn-jenner-candis-cayne-i-am-cait.html

This May, a few weeks before Ms. Jenner’s Vanity Fair cover hit the newsstands, Ms. Cayne received a phone call from a producer at “I Am Cait.” Except she wasn’t told what the show was about.

“He said, ‘I want to tell you something but I can’t until you sign a confidentiality agreement,’ ” Ms. Cayne said. “It was like: ‘Hmm. OK. I’m going to sign my life over before I know anything.’ But I was also intrigued because of that.”

Soon, the producer called back to say that he was working on Ms. Jenner’s series for E! and that the show wanted Ms. Cayne to go to a dinner at Ms. Jenner’s house.

It's kind of disturbing that someone as hardworking and established as Cayne has allowed herself to be reduced to the role of "sidekick" to someone who's mainly "the lead" because she's suddenly tossed more money and influence around.

I mean I guess even the NY Times isn't exempt from seeking a good headline, but there's just something wrong with that aspect.

The story told is odd too. It makes it seem like she just showed up at Jenner's house, the cameras were already there rolling, as were Drucker and Boylan. I mean, NDA, summons, then first meeting on camera being some kind of impromptu transgender summit.  Weird.  Just weird.

Edited by Kromm
  • Love 2

Jennifer Finney Boylan serves up a great big pitcher of Kool-Aid:

Caitlyn Jenner: A Champion All Over Again

But wait, there's more.   It's not just a Boylan piece --- drumroll, please -- it's the introductory essay to the new book published by People Magazine, The Caitlyn Jenner Story

As she spoke, I am sorry to admit that a thought crossed my mind: Gosh, I wish I were that pretty. And just as swiftly, I felt ashamed at the shallowness of this thought. Given the many complex burdens that each of us had carried, each in our own fashion, it felt truly bizarre that one of my first reactions to Caitlyn should be jealousy ...

Hurl.

Edited by millennium
  • Love 3

It's kind of disturbing that someone as hardworking and established as Cayne has allowed herself to be reduced to the role of "sidekick" to someone who's mainly "the lead" because she's suddenly tossed more money and influence around.

"Sidekick" caught my attention too.    It seems demeaning.

I don't know if it's as simple as "drinking the Kool Aid".  It seems to me to be an entire messier situation, where you've got this media juggernaut you either strongly support, or you risk being seen as a traitor to your entire cause.

Then again, Candace Cayne and Jennifer Boylan HAVE accepted money, presumably, as consultants. I'm not saying such kills any possible integrity, just that once you do so people become able to fool themselves a lot easier. They're invested.  

Also, there's no denying Caitlyn Jenner was (as both a man and a woman) a charismatic person. As the seemingly henpecked father and husband, she didn't bother to bestir herself very often, but maybe that was just acting. Perhaps bump on a log Brucie became such a role we all assumed it was all there was. Not that I really think that reticent person was so totally false that it isn't more than a bit weird that when she needed the Superhero/Champion/Courage press the most, she then choose to come out of the box so hard and so suddenly (thus probably avoiding criminal charges). I think it's just that Caitlyn Jenner, while perhaps unhappy with her former gender, was probably perfectly alright coasting along otherwise.  Honestly, the harder they press, the more this seems like a "Keep Her Out of Jail" Campaign.  I mean if the charges are dismissed, and the show goes on break, and then we hear little to nothing from Camp Jenner after that? Will anyone be surprised? 

I wonder if People's The Caitlyn Jenner Story even mentions the auto accident or criminal charges, and if it does what it says. I'm not tempted to buy it just to find out the answer to that one question though.

I don't know if it's as simple as "drinking the Kool Aid".  It seems to me to be an entire messier situation, where you've got this media juggernaut you either strongly support, or you risk being seen as a traitor to your entire cause.

Then again, Candace Cayne and Jennifer Boylan HAVE accepted money, presumably, as consultants. I'm not saying such kills any possible integrity, just that once you do so people become able to fool themselves a lot easier. They're invested.  

Does the role of paid consultant these days include publicly denigrating oneself to highlight the virtues/attributes of the client?   This is a woman who blazed her own trail and it had nothing to do with her looks.   But despite all her accomplishments Boylan makes herself appear flawed and weak in the aura of Jenner's perfection:  Caitlyn is more beautiful than I am ... how shallow and wrong of me to think that ...

The article about Candace Cayne also tells the story of a woman who earned her reputation the hard way, starting at the very bottom and working her way to the top.   But in Jenner's Olympian presence she too is diminished, reduced by the writer to former drag queen "sidekick."

It turns my stomach.

• Love 2

I was reading the Comments section following the Boylan piece linked to above.   Sometimes lost amid the hatred and ignorance you can find wisdom.   Here's one example, by someone with the user name Kristy Pandora.   If she were a member here I'd give her a Like in a heartbeat:

She opened the pearly gates for the woman she killed. I'm sorry but this can not be swept under the rug. This issue has to be resolved before any titles or claims of greatness. She has brought conversation, but upon the cusp of a movement that brought it with or without her regardless. Best exposure Money can buy. I am transgender and I want the world to realize that there are benefits to the discussion growing but also HUGE downfalls. #1 She has disconnected with a majority of the community and sensationalized people whom for a long time wanted to just be normalized. Now we are freaks magnified (just read the comments to this article) #2 She has insulted those (good majority) of transgender people faced with unimaginable amounts of poverty. #3 Countless relationships within the community have been stressed or destroyed because for every transgender person feeling she is a hero there is one who feels she is in this for a publicity stunt for $, narcissism, or to soften her coming manslaughter charges. There is a huge mistrust within the umbrella with this person. It has caused disunity within the umbrella.

What if one day the pressure is too much and she claims confusion and being pressured by crumbling stability in her family life openly regrets transition? Is that plausible? Just one of a many scenarios that is possible in my opinion and that of others. Be free Cait, do you. But why are we, esp those who oppose her expression, all are supposed to blindly trust her motives and intentions? Because some of us feel she is trying hard or is doing the right thing? News flash a huge majority of us do not. And I promise this vocalization to mainstream society from within the umbrella of opposition is only going to get louder. What, to those who support her, is wrong for those of us who don't to request simply a reestablishment of her place. One that is simply a trans celebrity? No big endorsements, no crown, no spokesperson role. She is fully aware of the division and hurt she is causing some. But yet has she apologized or has she tried to position herself outside an attempt for endorsements and title? Instead she deferred blame. It is now too late. That is what is wrong with this whole picture. Not once does she or has she put community 1st before herself. Now in desperation she is pulling all plugs and delivering excuses and bringing media attention and deals to other trans activists backing her. Not to help others but to attempt to establish her place that she, not the community as a whole, wants. Many of us feel this way! A transgender woman after coming out needs to learn to walk, talk, love, live, breath, dream as a woman. It takes years to mature. She will be in her 70's by the time she grips it. I would love to see her try to reemerge with such a push in 4-5 years, but for now she is an infant. Excellent PR team and ass kissing Trans activist pack, but still she has a lot to learn. But honestly in the wake of a criminal charge over the death of another human being is she really the best representation? And no 1 person should ever represent what transgender is, we are all too diverse. Anther reason why for every transgender person cheering her you will her one say "Whoa.... hold up a minute." But I personally would like her to chillax, calm it down. Stop using my community as a tool to compete with the Kardashians because I do feel her over exposure is hurting the community (ESP IN LIGHT OF POTENTIAL CRIMINAL CHARGES) and turning people away to fan flames of transphobia. Many people do not like her (trans or not) not for identity but because of her actions and the persons many feel she really is. She is far too controversial and moving forward this will only get louder if she continues to push so hard. turn it down 90% and do you Cait! Then the positive everyone talks about will remain and you can remove the damage you are doing whether you want to acknowledge it or not! And understand half the people you claim hero to, just want you to live you life, not try to represent theirs. There is a growing resentment no publicity stunt or brought in celebrity or organization is going to fix. But before you worry about all that I hope step up and you take responsibility for the life of another person you took. One that if was born wrong gender will never have the chance or opportunity to come out. One who will never hold her children, one that will never ever be able to weigh in on the opinion of your heroism!

Please understand I am aware and sensitive to the feelings of some of my community that does currently think she is good for the cause. For some of you have real reasons for your opinions. I want you each of you to know that I respect that and I respect you. I will NEVER attack you for expression of your opinion, and I am officially asking all of you for the same respect. Not just myself personally, but all those who have very real reasons to feeling the way they do.

Inner communal fighting and forced attempts of censorship from either side is not love nor is it positive for our community. Can we all acknowledge that there is a dividing line in our community drawn by the narcissism or exposure (dependent on personal point of view) by one individual in our community. Can we show love and respect for each other in the ability to openly express our feelings about this? Regardless of your position, know I love you.

Thanks and please share this message request of drawing a line of respect with others. I really do believe in my heart it is very important. Too many relationships are being destroyed because of this at a moment in time we should be seeking unity.

http://www.people.com/article/caitlyn-jenner-jennifer-finney-boylan-essay

• Love 5

I was reading the Comments section following the Boylan piece linked to above.   Sometimes lost amid the hatred and ignorance you can find wisdom.   Here's one example, by someone with the user name Kristy Pandora.   If she were a member here I'd give her a Like in a heartbeat:

Wow.  That's quite a Comment you've captured. A ton of really relevant points there. 

For one, someone else who (as I've noted) is seeing the connection between the timeline of all of this publicity and the avoidance of criminal charges. 

Secondly, the gigantic social pressure (strong for all of us, but no doubt a thousand times as strong for transgenders) to just get in line as cheerleaders, or shut up... or risk scorn in our case, or ostracism in their case.

The "normalized vs. sensationalized" angle is one that I hadn't quite thought of in those terms before, but it's a great point. 

And the buying out/leveraging of other transgender celebrities, to bolster her own place, is mentioned in that too.

The advice/point of view that Caitlyn just needs to live within her new skin for a few years before becoming anyone's champion is the prime bit of wisdom in that. I think I've seen a few people here say that too, even if it's gotten left behind a bit.  It's what worried me (and probably Caitlyn's own children) about the whole Hurry Hurry Rush Rush on the reality show and awards schedule, even as it's become clearer that maybe that schedule had other motives behind it.

Edited by Kromm
  • Love 1

Who didn't see this coming from a mile away?

Halloween retailer gets creepy with plan to sell Caitlyn Jenner costumes at its pop-up stores.

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/gossip/confidential/halloween-retailer-creepy-caitlyn-costumes-article-1.2332447

Even if they weren't selling a pre-packaged get-up, my guess is that every Halloween party at a club or bar this year is going to have at least one lumbering, hairy Caitlyn Jenner.

The Huffington Post is already objecting to it.    While I get why some might regard it as offensive, it's also quite common for partygoers to dress up as caricatures of notorious celebrities.   It's a tough call.  Celebrities are usually fair game and Caitlyn Jenner has courted celebrity in a BIG way.   But transgender people are a minority at risk.   If a non-transgender person were to dress up as Caitlyn Jenner, would it be similar to a white person going in blackface, even though she's arguably the biggest celebrity of the year (or maybe second to Donald Trump)?   But is it okay if a transgender person dresses as Caitlyn Jenner?

Ironically, Halloween happens to be the unofficial transgender national holiday, a day when transgender people in or out can hit the streets dressed however they please without judgment or risk.  To proclaim that it's politically incorrect  to dress up as the most recognizable transgender person in America on a holiday transgender people revere because it affords them the chance to be whomever they please in public strikes me as wildly hypocritical.  

Edited by millennium
  • Love 1