Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E10: Girl Meets The New Teacher

I rather like this episode so far. Mr. Turner completely changed the tone of this episode. This is the first time I've ever felt like a GMW episode has resembled a BMW episode. And I absolutely love it. Hopefully, it doesn't take a nosedive in the next 5 minutes. 

• Love 2

I rather like this episode so far. Mr. Turner completely changed the tone of this episode. This is the first time I've ever felt like a GMW episode has resembled a BMW episode. And I absolutely love it. Hopefully, it doesn't take a nosedive in the next 5 minutes.

Yep. It's been nice. Seeing Mr. Turner as the superintendent is just priceless. The principal didn't stand a chance lol. Saw the rest of the episode and loved it. So well done :). So much meta. So many memories.

What Turner said about Shawn "I loved him like a son, I still do". Gah I was screaming on the inside, so pissed my dvr had cut off at the point. I hope we get a Turner/Shawn reunion

• Love 4

What Turner said about Shawn "I loved him like a son, I still do". Gah I was screaming on the inside, so pissed my dvr had cut off at the point. I hope we get a Turner/Shawn reunion

So was I! It was so beautiful :). Can you try to record it again when it airs? It should be coming up tomorrow.

Mine was dvr'd and it cut off the last 5 minutes. Can someone tell me what happened after the jokes about Cory being bad in school?

Topanga complained about getting an A- from him (Mr. Turner). And he said he'd change it. <-- para phrased

Not sure if that was all that was.

Really good episode. This definitely seemed more like a BMW ep and it felt like Cory's role was more the lead than the kids. Loved Cory and Topanga's interaction, they were so in sync. And can never get enough of slightly grade obsessed Topanga.

Liked the use of Mr. Turner's history and like that they didn't need to use flashbacks. I think last week with Tommy it was necessary but wasn't needed here. Liked Turner still caring about Shawn but not sure about Maya's obsession/desire for Shawn to be her father/guardian.

• Love 3

Really good episode. This definitely seemed more like a BMW ep and it felt like Cory's role was more the lead than the kids. Loved Cory and Topanga's interaction, they were so in sync. And can never get enough of slightly grade obsessed Topanga.

Liked the use of Mr. Turner's history and like that they didn't need to use flashbacks. I think last week with Tommy it was necessary but wasn't needed here. Liked Turner still caring about Shawn but not sure about Maya's obsession/desire for Shawn to be her father/guardian.

Exactly. 

Yea, maybe they're trying to link the two. Since Shawn's family was an unstable one too. But I'm still not really buying it either. Minor quibble overall though in a good episode.

(edited)

John Quincy Adams gets it very own rebel of an English teacher, as Maya continues on her path toward becoming the new Shawn.http://previously.tv/girl-meets-world/girl-meets-a-cool-teacher-finally/"> Read the story

I wish she would've made a Passing comment about last week's episode but I'm glad she's back nonetheless! This review just felt right just like this episode. I hope Turner and Harper are here to stay as recurring pieces :)

Edited by Skyfall
  • Love 2

Holy crap. This school has a Principal? REALLY?

Although really it needs a Vice-Principal. That would be the logical person doing all the debate moderating, event handling, etc. that Cory seems to do all by himself.

• Love 1

What a good episode. I mean, not only for Turner, who looks different and my brain can't handle it, but also the relationship he still seems to have with Cory and Shawn.

(Nice to see he survived that crash, because I can't recall if it was really resolved on BMW.) 

Everyone was on their game tonight, it was so great to watch. Even Auggie, and I like the way bringing in an alum changes the dynamic, and typically for the better.  Also, a quotable episode, and the minute they said To Kill A

Mockingbird, I was like "ohh she was named after Harper Lee."

Also, another joke about Farkle being a real human, those get me every time, I think it's now my favourite running gag.

• Love 2

What a good episode. I mean, not only for Turner, who looks different and my brain can't handle it, but also the relationship he still seems to have with Cory and Shawn.

(Nice to see he survived that crash, because I can't recall if it was really resolved on BMW.) 

Because I have the entire BMW series memorized.

Minkus: I've been over there. In the other part of the school.

Cory and Shawn: We never go over there. You go over there, you don't come back.

Minkus: That's ridiculous! Hey, Mr. Turner! (runs offscreen)

And then never mentioned again.

• Love 5

First impressions I really liked the episode and some of the meta (and non-meta) jokes. I hope Harper sticks around instead of being an one and done character. Also curious to see what Maya learns, if anything, from Mr. Turner/Shawn thing. Seemed to, sort of, give the message that she doesn't need Shawn to be her (new) Dad and can just be a mentor. *shrugs*

Not sure I was that much into the comic book lesson(s), but have to watch again. Thought the clip posted in the review (at least looked) a much better lesson but I'll go with it for now. Be nice to see in a later episode an expansion on the whole history full of heroes and villains etc. thing, about how it's not always black and white/good and evil. 

• Love 1

I loved seeing Mr. Turner and all the references. His first scene was great. They also did running gags about the series which were nice.

I wonder if they really were foreshadowing Maya and Riley fighting over Lucas. I mean, Topanga was only kept on because of fan response, if the fans want Maya/Lucas they could switch things up. This show seems to be following the BMW in that regard, except Maya seems more of a focus this season than Riley.

• Love 2

Riley calls Mr. Turner "Uncle John" and claims he eats at their house a lot, but Auggie acts like they're meeting for the first time? I know the Boy/Girl Meets World universe plays fast and loose with continuity but can they at least keep up from one scene to the next?

Other than that, I really liked the episode. The appropriateness of comics/graphic novels in school is an actual educational debate! The new teacher actually has a lesson plan! The principal is a cartoon and Cory still doesn't actually teach anything, but still, they made progress.

• Love 4

Riley calls Mr. Turner "Uncle John" and claims he eats at their house a lot, but Auggie acts like they're meeting for the first time? I know the Boy/Girl Meets World universe plays fast and loose with continuity but can they at least keep up from one scene to the next?

Other than that, I really liked the episode. The appropriateness of comics/graphic novels in school is an actual educational debate! The new teacher actually has a lesson plan! The principal is a cartoon and Cory still doesn't actually teach anything, but still, they made progress.

Although it was a great episode overall, the situation was actually even worse than you've described here.  Not only did Auggie act like they'd just met, but Riley didn't know he was the school Superintendent.  So who exactly did she think he was?

(edited)

I think that she was exaggerating. He has probably been over a few times. And by a few I mean can count on one hand. So Riley may recognize him and know his full name but not much else. With Auggie it may be he was too young last time Turner was over or like my parents, they may have sent him and possibly Riley out so it would just be the adults. So I am going with Riley was just playing it up to make the principal worry.

Also as mentioned by another poster above love the continual questioning of Farkle being a real boy.

Glad I am not the only one who thought that they were referring to some kind of triangle with Riley/Lucas/Maya. Though I am not sure if they were teasing it might be happening or basically saying it wasn't going to happen. Really hope it doesn't. First because the friendship is the best part of the younger group. Second I mean it's Lucas, it Lucas. Third does the show really need try to make a new Cory/Topanga with either Lucas/Maya or Lucas/Riley can't the show remain without a OTP ship. Fourth if their has to be a straight couple can't it be Riley/Farkle, don't know why but they seem to be the best fit boy/girl wise. But lastly I can't see them fighting over a guy because most of the time I feel Maya would choose Riley over any guy. I mean really out of the younger sect if there is a real OTP it is Riley/Maya. But since it is Disney I ain't expecting that but I just hope no f'n triangle. 

Edited by ybrik
  • Love 3
(edited)

As heartwarming as "I loved him like a son. I still do" was, my first thought on hearing that was that Topanga said he and Shawn were like brothers in the original series and it kinda brushed over the fact that Jon wouldn't file for guardianship of Shawn. But still, I love Turner and Shawn and want to see them in an episode together. 

Hey, Turner really did teach Minkus in "the other part of the school!" He even recognized his kid.

"Why would you lie to my kid?"

Edited by bettername2come
  • Love 2

One of my favorite eps yet. Very well done, except for the whole Uncle John/Auggie and Riley never having asked him before if their parents were good students but whatever. I like the idea that Riley was playing it up to make the principal nervous. I'm good with that. I like Harper and think it would be fun to have a new teacher around, see the kids in a different classroom, actually learning a proper school subject.

But lastly I can't see them fighting over a guy because most of the time I feel Maya would choose Riley over any guy.

This! There is no way Maya would choose some guy over Riley. Riley is her family. I just don't see it. I really think that she'd give up Josh if it would come between her and Riley, and that the main reason she likes him is because he's a Matthews.

I am liking how responsive the show is to fan feedback. It seems like they tend to address a lot of what we talk about here. In an often tongue and cheek way which makes it extra fun. But the Corey being the only teacher, being the teacher every year, etc. This ep I feel like they brought up the obvious possiblilty of a triangle because Lucas and Maya have so much chemistry but the show was set up for him and Riley to be a couple (I too think Riley and Farkle work better together). And most importantly (in my Katy/Shawn hating heart I am going to see it this way until they tell me otherwise) pointing out that Shawn doesn't have to marry her mom, or even date her or like her for him to be a mentor and be there for Maya.

I am really growing to love this show. It makes me smiley, it's just such a fun, happy little show.

• Love 4

This is the reason I don't read spoilers.....I almost lost my mind when Turner walked in.  :)  LOVED the callbacks to BMW and jokes about Farkle being a "real boy" will never not be funny.  It's nice to see the addition of another teacher and a principal to the All-Cory-All-The-Time School.  These new characters don't have to be in every episode. but it would be nice to see them once in a while.  I sincerely hope the joke at the end about both liking the same boy was a reference to the episode when the girls fought over Farkle rather then a future triangle between the girls and Lucas.

• Love 3

I liked the line slipped in there about how Turner married his nurse and his telling Harper to be careful on the bike. Nice callback without taking away from what was actually going on in the "here and now," plotwise. 

It's amazing to me how much all of the BMW returnees have just slipped right back into character (Alan and Amy in the Christmas episode last year, Eric, Minkus, Angela, Feeney in his appearances), but I've really got to give huge kudos to ATQ as Mr. Turner. It was like being transported back in time. There was absolutely not ONE second I didn't think this wasn't a natural progression for this character and I loved the reveal that Turner was the one who originally hired Corey (probably not all that long after Cory and Topanga moved to NYC, or not long after Corey got through school). 

I do wonder what happened to the principal. I got the impression that he did move on, but I'm sort of hoping he didn't get fired or anything and I did like that he was given his own POV and that he was put in the position of a "good guy" going up against another "good guy" (Harper and Corey) without being a complete jerkass. He was more of a narrow hardass, I think.

• Love 4

I liked the line slipped in there about how Turner married his nurse and his telling Harper to be careful on the bike. Nice callback without taking away from what was actually going on in the "here and now," plotwise. 

It's amazing to me how much all of the BMW returnees have just slipped right back into character (Alan and Amy in the Christmas episode last year, Eric, Minkus, Angela, Feeney in his appearances), but I've really got to give huge kudos to ATQ as Mr. Turner. It was like being transported back in time. There was absolutely not ONE second I didn't think this wasn't a natural progression for this character and I loved the reveal that Turner was the one who originally hired Corey (probably not all that long after Cory and Topanga moved to NYC, or not long after Corey got through school). 

I do wonder what happened to the principal. I got the impression that he did move on, but I'm sort of hoping he didn't get fired or anything and I did like that he was given his own POV and that he was put in the position of a "good guy" going up against another "good guy" (Harper and Corey) without being a complete jerkass. He was more of a narrow hardass, I think.

Very, very well said! Exactly. It was one heck of a time warp. Hoping to see Mr. Turner in more episodes.

Yep. that's the impression I got from him.

Why would anything have happened to him?  He's still there, possibly to return in future episodes, but if not then doing his job offscreen.

• Love 1

Why would anything have happened to him?  He's still there, possibly to return in future episodes, but if not then doing his job offscreen.

I wondered myself, because Mr. Turner said "Someone had to go" but then neither Harper nor Cory were fired.

• Love 1

As heartwarming as "I loved him like a son. I still do" was, my first thought on hearing that was that Topanga said he and Shawn were like brothers in the original series and it kinda brushed over the fact that Jon wouldn't file for guardianship of Shawn. But still, I love Turner and Shawn and want to see them in an episode together. 

Actually, Mr. Turner did consider filing for guardianship. And he was about to do ask Shawn about it/go ahead and do it, but then Cory found Chet the next town over and talked him into coming home. So then, it was unnecessary. I remember because Mr. Turner and Shawn had begun looking for a larger apartment so they both could have their own spaces. But, Shawn found a problem with every place because he feared Mr. Turner wasn't serious about him staying. Which is what started Mr. Turner on the 'file for guardianship' path. 

Or at least, I'm fairly certain that was the progression of events. Though, I know for a fact that Mr. Turner did consider adopting Shawn.

• Love 1
(edited)

Not only did Auggie act like they'd just met, but Riley didn't know he was the school Superintendent. So who exactly did she think he was?

That bugged me a lot when I first watched it but then I thought about the fact that I had no clue what most of my parents' friends did for a living when I was growing up. It's not that odd to think Riley wouldn't know (or hadn't picked up on the fact) that "Uncle John" was the school Superintendent.

Edited by Gbb
  • Love 1

It didn't bother me that the kids didn't know what Uncle John did for a living.  When I was a kid, I certainly didn't know what my parent's friend's jobs were.  I am more surprised that the story of the comic book on the first day of school was never shared.  I imagine the kids knew Uncle John had once been Cory's teacher, like they knew Mr. Feeny was once their teacher, and I can certainly imagine the family sitting around talking about the different things Cory did in school.  What kid doesn't want to hear about their parents as kids....especially when said parent was such a goofball and King of the pranks?

After watching this again, I sort of want a sister series about Mr. Turner and his family. You know he probably adopted a kid or two or is foster parents with his nurse he married. 

I like how some of the more wild antics in the classroom have been toned down a little bit this season. This is probably just the old fart in me, but I found the kids' behavior in the classroom last season wildly inappropriate and Cory should have shut some of that down a little more. I'm not talking spirited discussion pertaining to the classroom material (that was great), but the reason I haven't warmed to Maya until this season is because most of her one-liners have been centered around insulting people, including her teacher in front of the entire classroom. It seems a bit more controlled this season, while still letting the kids be themselves. 

• Love 1

I wondered myself, because Mr. Turner said "Someone had to go" but then neither Harper nor Cory were fired.

I never really got that connection, because frankly it doesn't make much more sense you'd fire a Principal for doing his job (albeit heavyhandedly).  You warn the guy not to be such a hardass (which is basically what happened, via putting on a "Cory and Turner" show for him to show the guy how screwed he was).

Just re-watched and I noticed the look on Riley's face when she walked up to "Uncle John" in the classroom.  Unless the actress was just unable to keep in character, the look on Riley's face said she knew exactly what she was doing by calling him "Uncle John" and saying he came over "a billion times a week".  That's one of the reasons I love re-watching these episodes....I catch things that I didn't see the first time around.

• Love 3

By the way, the joke about Cory having Feeney's car was cute, but would the family really own a car in the middle of New York City?  And why would Riley and Maya take the subway to school if they can go by car?

• Love 1

By the way, the joke about Cory having Feeney's car was cute, but would the family really own a car in the middle of New York City?  And why would Riley and Maya take the subway to school if they can go by car?

That's not how owning a car in New York City works. You're either invested in spending a lot of money on garaging it, or you live in a part of town where you can street park it. But spaces are at a premium even in those parts of town, so you wouldn't casually use the car just to go between easy subway accessible locations. Some schools might have a lot, so it's possible Cory could go from a garage to a lot everyday, but even if he did, would his kid really want to be seen arriving and leaving with him every day?

Most likely the car is for weekend road trips and emergencies. It is much easier to get around via subway than to drive and even moreso park in NYC that it just makes sense they would take the subway to school, I'm sure Corey does too. Or maybe Corey just uses it for his upper body workout since rolling those manual windows up and down is a workout. lol I loved that bit, since I remember having to do that as a child and it wasn't easy.

I got the impression that Riley was being facetious when she said Uncle Jon comes over a bajillion times a week. Likely he's come over for Thanksgiving before or maybe dinner when Shawn's in town. She knows his name and that he was Cory and Topanga's teacher, but probably not much more then that. I vaguely knew what my parents' friends did for a living, but I didn't know what companies they worked for or what their exact titles were. I figure Auggie was too young last time around to ask "Uncle Jon" about teaching his dad. He probably wasn't in school yet and wouldn't have the frame of reference to even ask those questions.

I thought the car thing was a sarcastic back and forth. I didn't think the sedan was actually Cory's but that he was building on the joke that he's more like Feeny and Harper is more like Turner. Although I could see Topanga and Cory paying for a spot/car if they traveled to Philadelphia enough.

I don't think the principal would be fired for basically doing his job. Turner said he was right over Harper, but that was being overlooked. But maybe "firing" Cory without cause was part of it?

• Love 2

I love these returns (Angela notwithstanding) so much. They've all (ahem) been pretty spot on, if not a little convenient. I love that Turner is the Superintendent and it explains how bozos like Cory and Harley Kiener were able to get jobs in the same school. They both knew a guy (although I think Harley said Cory got him his job).

I was in tears when Turner said he loved Shawn like a son. And when Cory and Topanga thanked him? Forget about it. They hold Feeny on such a high pedestal that they forget about the relationship they had with Turner, who went to bat for them many times.

"Why would you lie to my kid?" Thank you! They've been making Cory seem like this upstanding student when he wasn't that at all! He was basically Maya-lite.

I'm glad Mr. Turner married his nurse. And that he's not still in that hospital bed or on the other side of the school. This episode almost makes up for the way they dropped him.

• Love 2

I was spoilered on the return of Turner but it was still great to see him.  I hated how BMW dropped his character, his relationship with Shawn was one of my favorites. I hope new teacher Harper sticks around at least some because it's nice to see them interacting with another teacher besides Cory. 

The show seems to have hit a good stride this season and found away to appeal to both the new kid audience and the returning BMW adult audience.I love that this show can laugh at itself (and BMW) without being ridiculous.  The little bits about Feeney always being Cory & Topanga's teacher and then their principal and how that will never happen again...or will it?!?!?....are very funny.  And the running "is Farkle a real boy" jokes (first season I was meh on Farkle but now I feel they use him in just the right amount and I like him way more than I ever liked Minkus).  It's all cute in a good Disney way but still amuses the adults in the room. 

• Love 8

Did the show really drop him or did ATQ just get the Melrose gig? His screen time went down a LOT his last season, so it was probably mutually beneficial for everyone involved that he got another acting gig. 

But yeah, Quinn was excellent tonight. Heck, I think he was better tonight than he was on BMW. 

• Love 1