Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E02: Thrill Ride

I just watched it. I have an account there, but it says no log in required for this episode. I don't know

If we can post about the episode yet. 

I've never liked Teddy, so I'm not surprised by what he did.

I don't find him complex or interesting.  I've known so many guys like him through the years and I've

lived in the North for over 60 years.  I don't see him specifically as a Southern small town character,

if I'm meant to.

Our rule is that you can post in the episode thread any info on that episode or any episodes BEFORE this one, but posting in ep 3 thread about something that happens in ep 4 is a no no.

:D

• Love 2

Never mind, I managed to view it after a few tricks...

It was a great episode. One of the things that irk me like hell yet is completely in character is Amantha's absolute lack of understanding of Daniel's situation. She spent twenty years trying to get him free. Now that he's out and he takes steps to ensure he can actually stay out, she reverts to the worst kind of self absorption to the point where she's utterly pissed off by having to house him for one month. I've had friends crash on my couch for longer than that. It's like now she comes across as only having done what she did for the reputation of the family, and when Daniel confesses, in her mind it was all for nothing. She is also completely clueless as to how being on death row can change and damage an individual's psyche. She's had close to two decades to think about it and apparently she hasn't figured out a thing. All in all she reads as less sensitive, more unreasonable and frankly even dumber than Teddy.

As for Teddy's past transgression I am not reading it like I guess most do. Nearly all people have made mistakes at some point in their lives, things they aren't proud of. It's just that when the perpetrator is a man and the mistake in question is of a sexual nature, everyone sees red, which is a symptom of living in a culture that glorifies violence but demonizes sexuality. It was a scene beautifully played out and Clayne really managed to sell his character's confusions, his remorse and also why he'd tell Jared such a thing in the first place, even if it obviously freaked him out.

• Love 7

I agree with you for the most part, Telepath. I feel a little bit differently about Amantha, since she invested so much of her life into saving Daniel's. I think Jared summed it up with less histrionics when he said, paraphrased, that Daniel left them all to eat shit.

Teddy and Daniel aren't that different -- both are, IMO, fundamentally decent men with selfish tendencies and bad impulse control. Teddy is less complex and had more outward rage whereas Daniel keeps it all in. Both have tremendous remorse. 

• Love 2
(edited)

About the Amantha part... Yes. I understand her reaction perfectly. Yet she is willing to roll the dice with her brother's life just in order to save his reputation and get rid of the banishment clause. It's like she prefers him to die like an angel rather than live as a perceived demon.

I'm not really reading Daniel as very... selfish. It's more a case of him not being able to connect with and understand people on an emotional level which is a function of his prolonged isolation. Were he selfish, he would've explained the circumstances about his assault on Teddy. Were he selfish, he could've easily seduced Tawney back in episode 9 of season 2. Contrary, he seems all too willing to accept the lion's share of the blame on all occasions even when it's not truly warranted.

About being self-loathing and lacking impulse control, that's dead on. If circumstances were different, oddly enough I could see them being friends.

Edited by Telepath
  • Love 2
(edited)

Maybe selfish isn't the right word. I was thinking how he moved without telling Janet about the attack, confessed to the crime because he wanted it to be over, and would've probably died without fighting for his own life; his release was due to other people doing the legwork. I thought back to when he admitted to Tawney that he had humiliated Teddy, and the look of realization on his face when it dawned on him that his actions affected her.

So, probably it's more accurate to say he runs away from his life (literally and figuratively) when he's overwhelmed. I love Daniel and don't mean to imply he's bratty. I just think due to his experiences, lack thereof, and being sent to Death Row as a teen, he doesn't really realize how profoundly he's affecting people in his orbit by not facing his problems.

Edited by The Mighty Peanut
  • Love 3

Another great episode. I've always loved flawed character so obviously I like all the characters on Rectify but more or less. I love to hate on Teddy. I feel sad for Tawney but I just can't with her, she's so boring to me. The rest of them I love though. I think the family has pretty much been in prison all while Daniel was in there. I can get that Amantha thought life would be just so much different when Daniel got out, that was all her focus, to get him out. Then when he's out it's just not that simple but I don't think she's ever paid that a single thought since all she's done her entire adult life is fought to get him out. And not with much help from her mom I guess. I don't hold that against Janet though, she's gone through her own shit obviously. They are just all so dysfunctional and I love that as I can relate to a family like that. It is frustrating though. The lack of communication. However Janet made a big breakthrough in this ep. With Jon Stern. She actually shed tears in front of him and she acknowledged the "Holden gene", I think she's cracking a little. Now if only Janet and Ted Sr could lean on each other a little more. Jared is a good kid. I think there is actually hope for him yet.

This show cracks me up sometimes. Peanut in Thrifty Town. Man I was laughing at the awkwardness. Daniel and the guy with the dead turtles (can't remember his name, something with M). In between all the tension it's really good to be able to let out a chuckle.

Nothing about the senator eh?

(edited)

Tawney isn't my favorite character but I was glad for her to finally tell someone the reason she was upset was because she was guilty about being relieved to be free (ish) from her marriage and impending motherhood, and that the Christian therapist didn't condemn her. I like that Tawney isn't as complicated as a Holden but feels her feelings just as deeply in her own way, and it's good to know that Teddy "bore down" before Daniel came around. Between that and his at best only kinda sorta consensual sexual conquest most of the compassion I had developed for Teddy is on the wane again. He bugs me because whereas last season there were moments I thought he was worried Daniel was actually a danger to Tawney, now it seems back to a territorial dispute.

• Love 1

This was a solid episode with a few shining moments. The first scene Amantha goes to the kitchen looking for something and Daniel's sitting in a dark corner and says, "Good morning." Startled for a sec, she says, Jesus." and Daniel says, "No. Daniel."

Loved Amantha's exchange with Peanut at Thrifty Town.  Peanut seems to be a common nickname among southern kids for whatever reason. I remember at least 3 from middle school. And I don't recall any of them having insightful, introspective meanings behind the name.

I hate to see Jon go. Very nice exchange between him and Janet.

Teddy was kind of a dipshit to his neighbor but that's probably one of his life-long traits. Some guys have as assholishness gene that is oft-times dormant but will break out at any given time.

Apparently inspired by Kerwin & Beethoven, Daniel was light and jovial while cooking dinner. Amantha's so down and pent up with frustration that it takes everything she can muster to tolerate him. I thought her restraint was admirable, and such a rare quality for her. Good acting by AS.

I guess we'll see the sheriff questioning Trey next week.

• Love 3

Apparently inspired by Kerwin & Beethoven, Daniel was light and jovial while cooking dinner. Amantha's so down and pent up with frustration that it takes everything she can muster to tolerate him. I thought her restraint was admirable, and such a rare quality for her. Good acting by AS.

I felt the complete opposite. Her acting was good but I absolutely loathe this character. Daniel was actually in a good mood, which rarely happens, and was trying to do something nice for Amantha. I watched that entire scene dreading her inevitable selfish reaction. Not an episode goes by where I'm not muttering Shut Up Amantha at some point.

The season is off to a good start and I'm interested in seeing how this all plays out. For a show with such a slow pace, it certainly holds my interest more than most.

• Love 6

Clayne Crawford is pretty brilliant. I was captivated by the scene where he is reflecting on what he's done in the process of doing something else. I also liked the humor with Daniel. The scene with Amantha and Peanut was good too. She was technically saying the right things but coming from an off person they sounded off.

• Love 2

Poor Jared.

This show does a great job with casting, the neighbor husband looks like a cousin of mine, just a regular guy.

I think Tawny just wanted the security of a family, I don't think she ever really loved Teddy. If she tells him she wants to leave for good I am worried how he will go off!

• Love 1

Teddy and Daniel aren't that different -- both are, IMO, fundamentally decent men with selfish tendencies and bad impulse control. Teddy is less complex and had more outward rage whereas Daniel keeps it all in. Both have tremendous remorse. 

But, the difference here is that Daniel is innocent of the crime for which he is accused. Whereas, Teddy was a creep on his date with the girl that was rumored to get around. Guys like him is the reason the poor girl got around, she didn't know how to say no.

But, the difference here is that Daniel is innocent of the crime for which he is accused.

We don't know that he is innocent. Right now we're assuming or want to believe that he's innocent. I'm not convinced he raped her, but I won't be surprised if it turned out he killed her. Assuming we ever find out the truth.

• Love 4
Guys like him is the reason the poor girl got around, she didn't know how to say no.

Listening to Teddy's story, to me it sounded like she said no many, many times.  After he harangued her for a long time she finally stopped saying no, true.  But the real problem here is Teddy's refusal to take no for an answer.  What Julie did is beside the point.  Teddy knew that she didn't want it and he did it anyway. Maybe if she had done something different, like jump out of the car and run away, it would have turned out a different way but Teddy still deserves 100% of the blame and 100% of the focus should be on his shameful behavior rather than what Julie did or didn't do, IMO.

As for her having a reputation, it could be that she was promiscuous, it could be that people called her a slut regardless of her sexual experience since that's an easy way to put a girl or woman down or it could be that rapists targeted her because of that reputation and she was a victim multiple times.  Or maybe it was just the once.  I don't think we really know from the story.

What I got from that story is that Teddy is the kind of guy who feels like he is entitled to something if he acts in a certain way.  He mentioned that he took Julie to the pizza place and asked her about her family and classes.  He expects credit for doing something right, like taking his date out and talking to her.  It's not just being a decent human being that is enough for him.  He expects that things will go his way for behaving a certain way.  I think that really enrages him with Tawney. He loved her and treated her like a husband should treat a wife so obviously she should feel for him as he wishes rather the reality, which is she a person separate from him, with her own needs and desires.  His loving her shouldn't come with an expectation that he gets what he wants out of it but for him it does.

• Love 7

I suspect it will come out that Teddy hounded Tawny to marry him ... that he wasn't going to a prize like her "get away" ... He seems to operated on a very chilly "transactional" basis.  I had assumed that his mother was dead, so news of the divorce intrigued me and made me wonder how old he was when that occurred and what triggered it (hope it wasn't his dad "falling in love" with the widow Janet, widow of his long-standing boss).  Ive been curious about Teddy's apparent delusion that Daniel is about to usurp his position and possibly resents him altogether -- as in "the prodigal older "real" son returns to take his rightful place" ... I'm also curious about Amantha's obvious dislike of Teddy -- did he try to bully her too? was he in her opinion a spoiled brat or what? 

It was nice to see Jared's disgust at Teddy's story ... but I'm not sure that Teddy's "don't be like I was" was anything more than Teddy trying to keep Jared in his camp, rather than some sincere recognition that his first sexual conquest was date-rape.  I think his threatened plan to (in the preview) to "take care of" Daniel by pressing charges and getting Daniel's parole canceled (20 year parole = how may years in jail, I'd guess 20 at least) is likely to turn out very badly ... 

• Love 3

I feel so conflicted about Amantha.  On one hand, I get so angry with her and feel like she is being totally selfish.  But on the other hand, I can completely understand her reactions and the way she is feeling right now.  Her whole life has been consumed by helping her brother get out of prison for a crime he didn't commit (presumably).  It consumed her every waking thought and she truly believed that everything would be "better" if she could help secure Daniel's freedom.  Then she (and everyone else involved) finally succeeds.  He's free but he's not what she expected.  Their new life isn't what she expected and Daniel seems to have already given up and is running away.  She doesn't seem like the kind of person who has given up on anything, but like she said in one episode, she seems to want it more than he does and that has got to be the most frustrating feeling in the world.  So as much as I may get irritated with her, I can't dislike Amantha.

• Love 10

We don't know that he is innocent. Right now we're assuming or want to believe that he's innocent. I'm not convinced he raped her, but I won't be surprised if it turned out he killed her. Assuming we ever find out the truth.

I got a little worried reading a pre S3 interview with the creator (Abigail Spencer was also interviewed) and it seems like they might not even know, like that's not important, it's more the emotions and actions surrounding the "what if" that's more the goal of the show, or the drive of it. I don't necessarily dislike open endings but I would lie if I didn't admit I want to get proof Daniel didn't do it. I want him to be innocent. I think I need him to be innocent for the sake of his family.

• Love 1

I got a little worried reading a pre S3 interview with the creator (Abigail Spencer was also interviewed) and it seems like they might not even know, like that's not important, it's more the emotions and actions surrounding the "what if" that's more the goal of the show, or the drive of it. I don't necessarily dislike open endings but I would lie if I didn't admit I want to get proof Daniel didn't do it. I want him to be innocent. I think I need him to be innocent for the sake of his family.

From interviews I get the feeling they want to leave it open-ended, but I hope they don't since they've made the 'who dunnit' of her death such a part of the story so far.

Teddy is needy, he's insecure, he's manipulative, he's selfish, he's petty, and he's desperate to appear to be so many things he's not: confident, easy going, resilient, cool-headed, and "macho." What makes him so interesting is that he seems more and more aware of all these shortcomings and of the awkward hustle--the boot-scootin', if you will (snort!)-- it takes for him to keep up that Good Guy front. You know in "The Manchurian Candidate" when Raymond Shaw confesses to Ben Marco that he knows he is Unlovable? Teddy seems to know this about himself now, and it pretty much breaks my heart.

• Love 4

Can anyone explain to me how this happened?  

I watched the first two seasons on netflix and then watched the first 2 episodes of season 3 last week  

I was all set to watch the next episode (thinking it was episode 3) today 7-17-15  from xfinity on demand.  

To my surprise it had episode 2 "Thrill Ride" airing yesterday 7-16-15 and this is the same episode i watched last week!!!

Episode 3 airs 7-23-15  

I cant understand it or am I crazy?

(edited)

My take on this episode -

Teddy is fundamentally entitled and experiences rage and resentment when he doesn't get his way. We saw him overstep boundaries with Tawny early in the series, and try very hard to manipulate her with pressure and guilt and anger to get his way. He knowingly did it with the promiscuous teenage girl -- steadily manipulating her and pressuring her to have sex until she gave up and gave in. (I'm not judging her; I'm describing the impression the story gave me of her - the teenage girl who is known to have sex with boys.) He stops just short of committing actual crimes, such as battery and rape.

I don't feel sorry for him, but I am interested in the character because the actor really pulls it off. I wouldn't have been able to listen to the long monologue otherwise. So we have Teddy acknowledging his flaws and I'm wondering whether he will do something about it, or carry on the usual selfish way. There's a lot of ugly simmering just beneath the surface.

Daniel is experiencing joy and relief at having reached a decision about the plea deal and (he thinks) putting it behind him and moving on. He may even be relieved to be out of his mother's home. He expresses his happiness at cooking a simple nostalgic meal for his sister.

She's lost so much and has nothing to show for it and nothing to replace it after 20 years of a hard fight to prove Daniel innocent. He plead guilty, she's in a dead-end job in a small town, probably very little money, and her boyfriend's gone.

So Daniel is experiencing some happiness and hope and everyone around him is going to pieces.

Edited by pasdetrois
  • Love 4

So Daniel is experiencing some happiness and hope and everyone around him is going to pieces.

I feel like in the same way that his family don't really get just how much being convicted and being on death row for 20 years damaged him and that just because he's finally out doesn't mean everything goes back to normal I don't think he really gets how much what happened affected his family. 

• Love 5

These posts really help me solidify the connecting themes.

Teddy having "put the work in" and not receiving the payoff he anticipated--Julie, Tawney, the tire shop--has been my rationalization for Amantha since the beginning.

She gave everything she had in the pursuit of Daniel's release and having achieved that goal, I can understand her feeling empty and rudderless.  And also bitter that no one--Daniel, for starters--gives her a gold star.  Her family bums out when she walks in and she wasn't even there when her mother mentioned Daniel would still be in prison if not for Amantha.  "That'll do, pig, that'll do."  Hello, anyone?

But now that she knows there's no Daniel+Amantha4ever, she needs to scrape herself up and move on, or at least choke back the "I don't give a shit" when offered a bonding, reminiscent chili dog & tot dinner--which is exactly the sort of thing she's wanted all along.

So sad!  All these people make me sad.

(Except my sympathy for Teddy has dried up after the Julie story.  You know he blabbed about her all over high school because his buddies had been pressuring him about his . . .cherry.   Intervention Episode 136:  Julie.) 

• Love 6

I think Jared is totally freaked by Teddy at this point and Teddy so terribly wants to be the "cool older guy" ... First he gives Jared a beer (once Tawny goes to upstairs) only to discover that Jared doesn't like beer ... then, since Teddy seems to think learner-permit legal Jared is so eager for a chance to drive around, he ensnares Jared in driving over to stalk Tawny -- during which he's flashing massive open-container and getting drunk -- while he tells Jared a male-bonding story of his date-rape "How I Lost My Cherry" to Jared's utter disgust ... oh, and Teddy STILL still doesn't want to go home yet ...  Doubtful Jared's gonna be stopping by to visit Teddy again soon, y'know? 

I suspect Jared knows something happened between Teddy and Daniel ... but I don't think he knows what... but who knows. Teddy "tattled" on Daniel and how far the story has traveled and what anyone thinks about it is unclear. ... seriously, stay tuned. 

• Love 2

I love how Teddy's story about his date with Julie flipped from his appearing to brag about it to his warning Jared not to be like him. That was pretty darn good writing.

I was really enjoying Tawney's therapist scene. I just love her character and the actress. The way she talks mesmerizes me. So, I was watching the scene and wanting it to last and last to hear her talk about everything, even as I knew we wouldn't, and shouldn't, learn all about characters in such a setting.

I like the small moments of kindness we see from minor characters, like the convenience store clerk who suggested to Daniel that shopping at a regular grocery would give him more bang for his buck.

Amantha... Well, it's hard for me to find much sympathy for her. I was actually more forgiving of her treatment of Daniel than I was of her behavior with Peanut. Fortunately Peanut is not the brightest nut, so she missed Amantha's snark and coldness.

• Love 3
(edited)

This was definitely a bonding episode with Tawney, as brief as it was. I liked her counselor.

I saw this ep as a turning point for Amantha. Yeah, she was her curt, dry self, but I understand her being UPTOHERE with Daniel. She just had to relinquish her shitty little Thrifty Town job to a girl named Peanut. Her lover and legal ally is gone, Daniel pleads guilty to something she's devoted years to believing he did not do. Then Daniel's back, staying at her place. She's having one of those days.  Did I mention she lost her job to a girl named Peanut? And how many thousand times has Amantha heard the Amanda reference?

Daniel still seems sometimes stuck at age 18 in the outside world. He also wants to act as if he's won some sort of inner battle within himself by pleading guilty. I think he believes he was helping his family by doing so. But as we saw, Ted Sr.'s request for Daniel to leave forced him back to the familiar realm of Amantha. Daniel doesn't want to inflict any more worry upon her - or anyone else, so he draws what he can from a place that is meaningful to him. That's when he remembers whatever Kerwin said about "cut wood, carry wood." Elementary, my dear Kerwin.

It's too sad to me that the memory (and ghost) of Kerwin is what Daniel finds as his chief motivation. But maybe it shouldn't be sad.

Daniel's attempts at lifting Amantha's spirits over dinner eventually fall flat.  It's no one's fault. Daniel is trying to make the best of it. Amantha is just depleted.

Actually, this is a turning point for several. Daniel's pool-cleaning job for Melvin will inspire the two to reconnect over a new batch of turtles. Amantha will find a new love interest - and little Miss Peanut will be happy cashiering away at Thrifty Town.

Edited to rescind my statements about Amantha losing her job at TT.  It appears she still works there.

Edited by Fisher King
  • Love 2

And how many thousand times has Amantha heard the Amanda reference?

When I first heard her name, I thought it sounded more like someone left the "S" off "Samantha" -  Amanda didn't even cross my mind until Peanut mentioned it.

• Love 2
(edited)

Teddy having "put the work in" and not receiving the payoff he anticipated--Julie, Tawney, the tire shop--has been my rationalization for Amantha since the beginning.

I think that's a really insightful way to look at it. Teddy is a good Christian conservative white American male who believes that hard work is rewarded, but in his own life the big trials he put all of his enthusiasm into have been met with extreme reluctance and at least partial failure (sex, rim rentals, parenthood). Then Daniel is released and a part of Teddy can't help but see it having waltzed in to be offered Teddy's job, Teddy's family, Teddy's girl, and Teddy's glory. Not only has he (to Teddy) done no work, he's a murderer and weird.

Amantha, IMO, is not upset by not getting a payoff, but not getting much acknowledgement that the battle was worth fighting in the first place. I think she had it right when she said people in Paulie don't speak her language. She has no worthy cause and a town of people who have never "got" her and it's resulted in misplaced rage. I empathize with her because she actually says the shit I want to say to my own family, and resent her because it makes me wonder if I'm at my core a huge bitch.

• Love 4
(edited)

Late to the party and everyone has pretty much said it all, but I'm gonna say it some more anyway.

Such a great episode. I was riveted the entire time. I need to go back and watch the first epi of this season because I was interrupted several times and that kinda ruined it for me. I find that this show is best watched without any distractions (or breaks if my bladder can manage it) because it's almost like a spell is cast, like I'm off in another world when I watch. It's so much a mood thing for me.

Anyway, I loved this episode so much.

"No. Daniel." Ha! This show is so heavy that any little bit of humor is like the sun coming out from behind a cloud. I particularly love when Daniel cracks a joke of any kind.

The entire scene with Peanut was so good. "God, that must've hurt," Amantha saying what anyone would be thinking looking at that Michelin Man baby.

"No, I had an epidermis!" Oh, Peanut, bless your heart. I'm so glad you've found your place at Thrifty Town. I mean that with just a little snark because really, it's good she has that job.

The mere mention of Kerwin makes me both sad and happy. Still miss Kerwin.

Really loved Tawny's scene with her therapist. Knowing she was in foster care and aged out makes me want to hug and protect her now. I have a special love for foster kids and their struggles. It also explains a lot about her and the life she's been leading up 'til now. I hope she opens up more to her therapist. I'd like to see her fly free and happy at the end of this.

Seeing Daniel light up when he realized he was talking to Melvin and then asking about his turtles was great. The actor who plays Melvin does a lot with his few lines, too.

Janet and Jon's scene was so well done. I really love J. Smith-Cameron.

Teddy. Friggin' Teddy. I have gone back and forth a lot with him, but I think any sympathies I had are gone at this point. And it's not because I love those damn air dancers like a child would and he went and unplugged the one at the tire store like it offended him in its airheaded joy. (Side note: I own two ten footers. My husband got them for me for my b-day a couple years ago. I am a grown ass woman but I love those dumb things.)

I really liked the neighbor not putting up with his nonsense; it's like he is one of the few who sees the real Teddy behind that BS salesman persona he wears all the time.

His story to Jared solidified my sense that he's just not a good person, period. He may be aware of his faults but he doesn't seem to be doing much to correct any of them.

Don't worry, Teddy, I'm pretty sure it would never even occur to Jared to do anything like what you did to Julie. He's not entitled and oily and fake and awful like you, bro.

I will say that I think Clayne Crawford is doing a great job with the character. A less compelling actor would make Teddy a caricature, but CC is selling it for me. Teddy is interesting, not just repulsive like I think he'd be in lesser hands.

I am so glad this show is back and so glad to have you all to share thoughts with. No one I know watches and there's no way to make anyone who hasn't seen it understand what's so wonderful about it. Good to see y'all! :-)

Edited by Syren
  • Love 7

Amantha, IMO, is not upset by not getting a payoff, but not getting much acknowledgement that the battle was worth fighting in the first place. I think she had it right when she said people in Paulie don't speak her language. She has no worthy cause and a town of people who have never "got" her and it's resulted in misplaced rage. I empathize with her because she actually says the shit I want to say to my own family, and resent her because it makes me wonder if I'm at my core a huge bitch.

Yes to all the above. I have always liked Amantha, even when she annoyed me as she did at the end of this episode. I get Amantha. I agree she was never in it for the glory or whatever of getting Daniel set free. I think she spent her whole life convinced he was innocent and that was why she fought the good fight. It would've been nice if anyone had ever really acknowledged her work to her face. I found that strange that no one ever said much to her about it, that without her he'd still be on death row, or perhaps executed by now. But maybe there's too much doubt in everyone else's minds, including Janet's, to really feel like they should pat her on the back for getting him out.

I get Amantha because I am a lot like Amantha. My husband in Season One, "It's your long lost fictional sister. " Anyone who knows me will tell you I'm beyond blunt. You never have to wonder where you stand with me or what I think about anything because I am happy to tell you, with vigor and swearing, usually. As a Southerner, this makes me quite the oddball and I'm okay with that. As my sister-in-law pointed out to someone who was put off by my forthrightness, I say what everyone else only thinks but they still think it so how is my saying it any worse? I have two sisters-in-law, but she's the only one I claim.

• Love 2

Janet and Jon's scene was so well done. I really love J. Smith-Cameron.

I really enjoyed their scene as they talked about the realities for Daniel (20 yrs probation) with some emotion, both knowing how damaged he is.  I know Jon says he leaving in a few days, but a few days in this world could be a season.  I wonder, are they really going to have Daniel leave in 30 days or will this investigation into George's death mitigate the plea deal somehow for Daniel's good or ill?  I didn't think it would, but the plea deal story makes Rectify even more interesting going forward.  

I can't muster up any sympathy for Amantha. Where she is in life is the result of her own choices and her doing. She's the only one preventing herself from making any positive changes now too.

I also liked the scenes with Tawney and her counselor and Janet and Jon. Really well done.

I haven't been able to form an opinion about Teddy after this new revelation but find the comments here about him very interesting.

I've been worrying that Jon is going off to Boston and no one has told him that Teddy may (or may not) bring charges against him for the assault ... because ... I think Amantha knows nothing (and doesn't know why in god's name Daniel is living with her now when she's trying to start-a-new-life and distance herself somewhat) ... Janet, I think knows that Daniel "attacked" Teddy, but not what was involved in the attack or why it took place ... oh why Teddy didn't fight back ... which was the point that Daniel, I think was trying to make ... 

• Love 1
(edited)

My memory is that advanced cirrhosis and renal failure both can give off specific smells (different smells, not necessarily strong, but harsh/acrid) -- and fwiw, so can some cancers -- but usually only noticeable up close and personal or in a confined space or in someone who doesn't bathe or change clothes often ... so can diabetic ketoacidosis (classicaly a fruity breath) 

Edited by SusanSunflower
  • Love 1

Yeah, I was kidding about the vomit smell, which may not have come across. :-) It was a callback to a joke in a thread from last season.

I think he was just saying there was something off about Trey and used the word "smell" to mean demeanor or attitude or behavior.

Like you say, Fisher King, he sensed the guilt but that's not how he put it into words.

• Love 1
(edited)

I know what you mean, Syren. The things they say on this show usually aren't meant to be taken literally - and what they don't say is really what many of us want to hear.

Edited by Fisher King
  • Love 2

I apologize for chiming in so late (a year late, it appears!), but I'm just watching this show now.  This episode really crystallized, for me, how alike the three older siblings are - Teddy and Amantha and Daniel.  All three of them work toward goals and then are thwarted by being wholly unable to put themselves in the other person's shoes and predict how things will appear to the other people involved.  And all of them lack patience with other people.

Daniel was actually in a good mood, which rarely happens, and was trying to do something nice for Amantha. I watched that entire scene dreading her inevitable selfish reaction.

This was just another example - it appears that Daniel finally did what Amantha was hoping for, but he got there a little too late.

• Love 1
On 7/18/2015 at 4:41 PM, SusanSunflower said:

I think Jared is totally freaked by Teddy at this point and Teddy so terribly wants to be the "cool older guy" ... First he gives Jared a beer (once Tawny goes to upstairs) only to discover that Jared doesn't like beer ... then, since Teddy seems to think learner-permit legal Jared is so eager for a chance to drive around, he ensnares Jared in driving over to stalk Tawny -- during which he's flashing massive open-container and getting drunk -- while he tells Jared a male-bonding story of his date-rape "How I Lost My Cherry" to Jared's utter disgust ... oh, and Teddy STILL still doesn't want to go home yet ...  Doubtful Jared's gonna be stopping by to visit Teddy again soon, y'know? 

I suspect Jared knows something happened between Teddy and Daniel ... but I don't think he knows what... but who knows. Teddy "tattled" on Daniel and how far the story has traveled and what anyone thinks about it is unclear. ... seriously, stay tuned. 

This was preceded by Jared telling Teddy no one tells him everything that's going on. Teddy tells him something true that Jared probably didn't want to know. I don't think anyone, with the exception of Senator Slimeball, wanted to know about the coffee assault. 

On 7/18/2015 at 9:19 PM, peeayebee said:

I love how Teddy's story about his date with Julie flipped from his appearing to brag about it to his warning Jared not to be like him. That was pretty darn good writing.

I was really enjoying Tawney's therapist scene. I just love her character and the actress. The way she talks mesmerizes me. So, I was watching the scene and wanting it to last and last to hear her talk about everything, even as I knew we wouldn't, and shouldn't, learn all about characters in such a setting.

I like the small moments of kindness we see from minor characters, like the convenience store clerk who suggested to Daniel that shopping at a regular grocery would give him more bang for his buck.

Amantha... Well, it's hard for me to find much sympathy for her. I was actually more forgiving of her treatment of Daniel than I was of her behavior with Peanut. Fortunately Peanut is not the brightest nut, so she missed Amantha's snark and coldness.

One of the great things about the series is that no one has a spotlight that they are "good" or "bad." Tawny was literally sheltered as a foster kid who hung around the home until she was 20. One imagines that Teddy was nice to her and she decided to get married because that's what you do.

Daniel, of course, is all kinds of messed up. He was put on Death Row before he lived life as an adult. That kind of isolation is reserved for people just about to be executed and not to spend 20 years in there. Daniel only knows how to be a teenager or a prisoner, and neither fits anymore.

Even Amantha and her mom, and the Teds have been frozen somewhat in time. Amantha fought for Daniel's release and spent most of her adult life in a customer service job just to be in Atlanta and be involved in the case.

Teddy is not like the rest of the characters because of how he deals with life. But we also see that his birth mother was not great, apparently only contacting Sr. because she wanted some money. Teddy clings to being a regular guy and he lashes out when something goes wrong. Daniel's assault rocked Teddy to the core because it not only made him feel powerless, it made him realize he is powerless.

• Love 1