Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E04: Episode 4

• Start Topic

News of Ross and Demelza's marriage spreads through the community, damaging Wheal Leisure's prospects. Demelza is filled with anxiety when Francis and Elizabeth invite the newlyweds to spend Christmas at Trenwith.

So we're halfway through the series on Poldark, and watching this last episode I finally managed to let go of the 1975 adaptation and love this version completely for its own sake. Perhaps it was the slight switch in focus that did it - up till now, we've been focused intently on Ross's story, but episode four was more Demelza's story and Eleanor Tomlinson won me over completely at last. Such a lovely episode! And I know everything that's to come, but none of that diminishes this little oasis of happiness mid-season in the slightest.

Also, female friendships for the win. Demelza and Verity were adorable, and they weren't the only ones.

• Love 15

This was such the sweetest episode.  I kept waiting for the other shoe to drop and some disaster to come crashing in to ruin Ross and Demelza's growing affection for each other.  Even Francis seemed to get over himself on Christmas.  Loved Demelza holding her own with that woman's little barbs thrown at her.  Yay to Elizabeth for closing ranks with Demelza too.  It was not as much a surprise that Verity stepped up, accepted the marriage and befriended her.  Even a couple of Ross's investors seemed to be OK with it in the long run.  I'm glad they are not making Ross soap-ily pine away for Elizabeth to the detriment of his actual wife.

I watched it twice (!!) and the second time I found my very minor nitpick for this series.  Every man is either clean shaven or full beard (for some of the miners) and yet Ross always has that 1 day growth going on.  It would be understandable when he is working in the mine for a few days, but it was jumping out at me when he was in more formal occasions. He is dressed in good clothes for the funeral and Christmas but he doesn't shave?  Yes, I know Aidan Turner is very attractive with some beard, but it kind of doesn't fit with the accuracy for his character's station in local society.  Other than that, yeah, still liking it very much and anticipating the next episodes.

• Love 7

This episode was so Wow! It may sound ridiculously gushing, but that was one of the most sublime hours of television I have ever watched (and then re-watched). It was just wonderful in every way. I don't even want to try and nitpick it.

The casting of this production is fabulous beyond words. Everyone is perfect in their roles. The two leads are gorgeous on a whole new level, with chemistry that is just electrifying, and acting skills that make you believe them entirely. I was watching it last night with a (female) friend of mine, and we were breathless watching them together; at certain points we both realised we had actually forgotten to breathe. Ross, Demelza and Verity = LOVE, and even the other characters who we aren't supposed to like, like Elizabeth and George, they have enough depth that I can feel for them and their dilemmas.

Everything about it looks gorgeous, from the settings (both interior and exterior) to the clothes (or lack thereof) to the gorgeous cast. The direction and production values are pretty much flawless, with any problems probably down to inevitable budget restrictions (although I know a  LOT of money was spent on this).

All of the above combine to create a piece of filmed entertainment that is probaby the most emotionally involving I have ever watched (with some stiff competition). I care about Ross, Demelza and Verity so much it is ridiculous to care so much about fictional characters. I feel like I'm going to have to watch the inevitable bad stuff that is coming their way from behind a cushion wrapped in a  duvet to try and insulate myself from the emotional fallout.

I realise the above sounds extreme in terms of praise, but it really is that good. I kind of can't wait for the U.S. audience to see it, because it's so, so good, and I think a lot of people are going to flip about it. I do hope it gets all the accolades it deserves, both here in the UK and in the US. It is causing a considerable stir here, with good reason.

My specific favourite bits from this episode (although, tbh, I loved every single second with the heat of a thousand suns):

• Ross spinning Demelza round and kissing her at the beginning of the episode (you can tell that "abed" isn't just "pleasing" to him).
  • Demelza and Verity's bonding session by the fire at Nampara.
  • The little conversation between Demelza and Ross when he comes to get her to help with the pilchard harvest, just before he pulls her up on to his horse.
  • The moment when Demelza comes down to Christmas Eve dinner in her new dress.
  • When she sings in front of the dinner gathering - the way Ross looks at her... Aidan deserves all the awards that exist for that alone.
  • When Ross tells her "Goodnight, my love," when she's sleeping.
  • When he tells her that he loves her. Just spectacular acting and storytelling.

I have no idea how many times I will rewatch this, but it will be a LOT.

• Love 17

So glad I'm not the only one who watched it again immediately.  I was questioning my sanity about how much I'm enjoying this series.  I've watched all the episodes at least twice, but with a few days/week apart for the others.

Another thing I was wondering.  When Ross took Demelza to employ Jinny as her own kitchen maid does that mean the end of Jud and Prudie in the house or do they just become Ross's employees now and have nothing to do with Demelza's sphere of the household?  I can't imagine Ross would put them out since he seems to have concern for his tenants and employees.

• Love 4

No he didn't turn them out. In the book Jinny used to bring her children to the house ( she had 2 by now I think). This adaptation ignored her story but it's okay with me. Demelza basically carries on with her chores as she always had. A few things I couldn't help noticing: Elizabeth's dark teal gown - is that the only gown she has??? I counted at least 100 times Uncles Charles had another seizure.

Can someone who read the book remind me of the significance of the song Demelza sang at the Trenwith? I recall it had some hidden meaning??

On the other hand say hello to Dwight, Mark Daniel and Keren!!! the deadly love triangle!!

Edited by skyways
  • Love 1

No he didn't turn them out. In the book Jinny used to bring her children to the house ( she had 2 by now I think). This adaptation ignored her story but it's okay with me. Demelza basically carries on with her chores as she always had. A few things I couldn't help noticing: Elizabeth's dark teal gown - is that the only gown she has??? I counted at least 100 times Uncles Charles had another seizure.

Can someone who read the book remind me of the significance of the song Demelza sang at the Trenwith? I recall it had some hidden meaning??

On the other hand say hello to Dwight, Mark Daniel and Keren!!! the deadly love triangle!!

I'm not sure but I remember her singing more than one song, and one was a dig for the stuck up (was that Ruth?) lady that kept insulting her, something about a girl that was beautiful outside but horrible inside.

I really liked the episode, and it is so much closer to the book, but at the same time they do change a few things. Like I really loved how Ross told her he loved her at the end (in the book he tells her sooner) and that pushes her into revealing her pregnancy when she was sure of his affection. I guess she was scared he wouldn't react with joy. I feel like in the book he told her he loved her before being really sure of it, but in the episode Ross feels happy and content with Demelza but doesn't tell her how he feels until the moment of truth. It has so much more weight as he came to this realization with Elizabeth in the same room.

I think they did a good job showing Ross falling in love with his wife, and AT acting during the song, the moment of realization was really well done.

• Love 7

I'm not sure but I remember her singing more than one song, and one was a dig for the stuck up (was that Ruth?) lady that kept insulting her, something about a girl that was beautiful outside but horrible inside.

You're right! I just checked. She sang those exact words in the book and sang other songs as well. ( One was even to Ruth Teague's husband whom she had a mild flirtation with!). I agree with everything you said about Ross in that scene which makes me wonder how they will handle the later events with Elizabeth. Everything he said in that scene to Demelza was consistent with the progression of their relationship so far both in the book and in the series. Another one that struck me as close to the book was that scene they were walking home hand in hand after they helped the villagers with the boats. That scene read in the book as the first time Ross realized he was happy and content while that final scene was when Demelza realized for the first time that Ross chose her (from Elizabeth) not because he couldn't have Elizabeth but because he wanted her. I've viewed this episode I think 5x or so since it aired - so nice it was!

• Love 2

Lol the many epiphanies of Ross. R/D were so perfect in 1x04 I'm kind dreading them adapting the latter books. It however would miss one of the book message, that you can love different people at the same time, that there are different kind of loves.

That's why the scene when Ross finds Elizabeth alone, and the camera lingers on her back/neck is so important. Ross is falling in love with his wife but Elizabeth still moves something in him, even after all those years.

• Love 2

Actually STWAK, I'm not a big believer in the whole "you can love two different people in different ways' especially when it comes to romantic love or sexual love. It's not possible as one really has to want one MORE than the other which in that case 'what do you REALLY feel'? As I read the book I kept wondering what on earth kept him tethered to Elizabeth the way he was. It wasn't brotherly love or anything. Why not at best 'indifference' when it came to matters of the heart at least? For me the so-called love he had for Demelza in the book often did not ring true. I often got the sense that if Demelza left him for another man, he wouldn't hanker as he did for Elizabeth. So what exactly did he feel for her? I tried to get this but I couldn't.

So in the end I concluded that .............................well in the end I did not enjoy the books as much as I wanted to.

• Love 1

I think it's that for Ross, Elizabeth is the one that got away - even when he no longer even likes her, she still represents a very powerful what-could-have-been, the life he most probably would have had if he'd never gone off to war, which combines with the age old grass-is-always-greener syndrome to keep him wondering what might have been. Or even what should have been, in his mind - because something in him can't stop believing that Elizabeth should have been his, that he was robbed by circumstance of the life they would have had. So he see-saws between knowing himself to be in love and happy with Demelza on his good days, and brooding over what might have been on his bad days. At least, that's my reading of it based on having watched the last adaptation.

It may or may not be possible to be in love with two people at the same time, but the history of the world is littered with individuals who've wanted to give it a go, because no matter what they already have, something in them can't seem to stop itself wondering if that other thing might not be better. It's a big reason why so many people have affairs, no? Wanting their cake and eat it too, so to speak.

• Love 6

So he see-saws between knowing himself to be in love and happy with Demelza on his good days, and brooding over what might have been on his bad days

I get this. I really do especially if you're current life is not measuring up to whatever it is you may have missed. I get that. But Ross's life really improved and it was made clear over and over that he was happy with Demelza,

that other men envied him,  his fortunes improved as well, he had kids, in short he had it ALL eventually. So why the constant looking back? He could get on with his real life without regrets but the book made it clear that whenever he was actually in her presence, the 'old sensations somehow reared up' even after 8 or so years of being married to Demelza. This completely lost me.

That was a weakness of his I couldn't sympathize with and the one flaw that soured this great love he supposedly had for his wife.

In the older adaptation one thing I give them credit for is drawing Elizabeth well enough for me to understand (not in relation to Ross but as a character in her own right). So far this Elizabeth hasn't been given her story yet.

• Love 1

Oh, I don't sympathise with it either, I just think it's actually really realistic - I think there are a lot of people out there who should, in theory, be completely happy with the life and partner they have, and yet always seem to have one eye on what else might be available. Like I said, the grass is always greener. Some people are just never quite satisfied, and that's their tragedy. And it's also realistic that an obsessive personality can't quite let go - although that description fits the 1975 Ross much better than the 2015 one - 1975 Ross was a deeply flawed yet compelling protagonist, where 2015 Ross is being played more as the brooding hero, which really isn't the same thing. From my limited vantage point of less than halfway through book 1, I think 2015 Ross is probably a lot closer to book Ross, but suffers from lack of an in-depth internal life to inform the choices he makes. We're not getting a huge amount of insight into his thoughts and feelings, which makes it harder to understand his actions. In 1975, they made significant changes - some of which infuriated Winston Graham - but those changes strengthened the story in many ways, in terms of televisual drama.

• Love 2

I completely understand the idea that one person can be in love with two people at once, especially one who is as impulsive as Ross is.  I just find Elizabeth to be sort of dull. 

Especially compared to Demelza,  who I find to be freaking adorable.  They have better chemistry, too. 

• Love 3

Cracked up at Demelza wrestling Jud to the ground.  OMG, haha.  

Verity is so sweet and lovely, and she deserves better than looking after Francis and Elizabeth.  When Ross left her sitting alone at the table during her meal with him and his new wife, her high-pitched Ross! was adorable.  

I know that he didn't have a clue, but when Ross was telling Demelza not to fasten her dress too tight for the Christmas dinner because they feed you well and he knows her appetite, all I could think was "She's pregnant, you asshole!"  

I'm glad that Elizabeth is kind to Demelza, but she's just such a bore.  I really don't get why Ross is so infatuated with her.  I find Demelza much more interesting with her sense of humor, snark, and her dedication to hard work. 

• Love 3

No matter how many lines they throw in to convince me that horse toothed Elizabeth is a beauty for the ages, I'm not buying it. She's becoming the Megan Draper of 18th century Cornwall.

• Love 17

Good to see Demelza hold her own with the shrew who drops by with her cohort uninvited before Christmas Eve dinner and proceeds to delight in insulting her. I can't blame Ross for mixing with those beneath his birth, they seem rather more interesting and endearing in some ways.

Sweet episode :) Still don't care for Jud and Prudie though.

• Love 6

It was nice to see Ross less broody tonight, but I did have to laugh that his explanation to Demelza about why she should go to his cousin's for Christmas was, "I am offended that you'd think I would be into a snob."  Not exactly the thing I would want to hear from my husband.

I really loved the way they filmed the scene with Demelza singing, because you could see Elizabeth in the background, and her realization why Ross married Demelza. (And that Ross was in love with his wife).

• Love 8

Alas as usual PBS cut some scenes. Scenes that depicted Demelza's discomfort with Verity were more prolonged than the quick bonding we saw. There was a scene where they are having lunch? and (just like in the book) Ross and Verity are chatting about events and Trenwith and Demelza is looking down at her plate and doesn't join in. Then Verity notices and tries to compliment her, but Demelza suddenly remembers her pies and rushes off.

Verity says, ' what did I say'? And Ross says, ' she thinks you are a great lady'. And encourages Verity to find ways to reach Demelza and gets up and leaves. Also in that scene were they were talking, and Demelza says to Verity , 'Will you teach me, Verity'? they suddenly hear the blast for Ross's Mine and both giggle together. That part was cut.

Also the scene where the pilchards arrive and Ross rides up to Demelza, he says 'Quick we must go' and Demelza hangs back and wouldn't meet his eye and Ross says in complete perplexity, 'What is it'? and she says,' It's just that .......sometimes I do think I displease you'. And Ross's expression is like 'HUH?? then he says something that sounded like 'I'm a soldier and used to giving orders but you are far from displeasing to me'. And she says, ' Now how would I know that?'  And he says,' I must endeavor to make it clearer'. Now we must go'.......and lifts her to the horse.

• Love 8

Also when we first learn Demelza is pregnant, there was a scene were Jud, Prudie and Jinny were fixing Christmas wreaths? and singing carols and Demelza gets up to hang one, leans on the wall clutching her middle. And then, holds her hand over her mouth and rushes form the room.......then she enters the room where Ross is reading that invitation from Trenwith.

• Love 1

Yeah they really went crazy with the edits this episode. You see a lot more regarding Demelza's uncertainty about her status and marriage that ended up on the cutting room floor. Other scenes missing: Demelza explaining to Jinny why she did not accompany Ross to his uncle's funeral and Ross and Demelza talking about Elizabeth's reaction to their relationship.

• Love 3

Not sure those cut scenes add any more insight into what we saw, though they do sound like nice scenes.  It was clear that Demelza was uncomfortable around Verity at first and unsure of Ross's feelings for her.  Those scenes sound like they add more detail to those plots, which would have been nice to see, but it doesn't sound like anything critical was cut.

• Love 3

Argh, I found that very frustrating.  Yes I've read the books, yes I was teethed on P75 but all that aside, the "pilchard" event was supposed to be the first really romantic discovery between Ross and Demelza.  It made no sense as it was portrayed in P15.  And for me the Christmas party really lacked the triumph that Demelza was at that event (and I'm sorry, she's just completely too tall and lacking in boobs to portray the character....she's supposed to send men into ecstasy over her body and personality: a flat chest didn't do that..)   The show continues to be incredibly disjointed to me.

• Love 2

And for me the Christmas party really lacked the triumph that Demelza was at that event (and I'm sorry, she's just completely too tall and lacking in boobs to portray the character....she's supposed to send men into ecstasy over her body and personality: a flat chest didn't do that..) 

I don't believe the 2015 adaptation (not the books) has provided us with a clear rule for how men are "supposed" to behave, and why, when they encounter Demelza. But from what we've seen so far, she was able to turn heads on the street when she was still a maid. And her entry into the dining room at Trenwith in her red dress certainly earned an absolutely pop-eyed gape from Ruth's husband, which seemed well-deserved from my point of view.

• Love 10
(edited)

Ross taking Demelza to hire a new maid : Poldark :: Edward taking Vivian to shop on Rodeo Drive : Pretty Woman

No matter how many lines they throw in to convince me that horse toothed Elizabeth is a beauty for the ages, I'm not buying it. She's becoming the Megan Draper of 18th century Cornwall.

I've decided the writers must want us to hate Elizabeth.  There's no quicker way to turn an audience against a character than having everyone tell us she is "born to be admired" without demonstrating any such thing.  Especially if this happens in the context of a character cluelessly blathering on to his delightful new wife about how awesome he thinks his ex is.  (Ross, buddy...)  I even giggled a little when Francis did his impression of her fawning on Ross, even if it was a (tiny, little) bit unfair.

I hadn't thought about Megan, but I call this Katrina Crane syndrome.

Edited by Lindsey
  • Love 3

Dear gawd, I don't know the last time an hour of television made me so happy.

Elizabeth reminds me of Grantchester's Amanda. Nice enough, pretty enough, but weak as a person and a character. I find them nowhere near interesting or striking enough to believe their respective protagonists are stuck on them. Especially when there are beautiful, strong, smart, AVAILABLE women waiting in the wings.

Eta: are we supposed to think Demelza is beautiful? I find her to be more cute than beautiful, but beautiful to Ross, which I actually find far more romantic.

• Love 4

Eta: are we supposed to think Demelza is beautiful? I find her to be more cute than beautiful, but beautiful to Ross, which I actually find far more romantic.

Demelza is supposed to provide a strong contrast to Elizabeth. Elizabeth is the classic beauty, but Demelza, child of nature that she is, has something about her that is entrancing.

• Love 6

Argh, I found that very frustrating.  Yes I've read the books, yes I was teethed on P75 but all that aside, the "pilchard" event was supposed to be the first really romantic discovery between Ross and Demelza.  It made no sense as it was portrayed in P15.  And for me the Christmas party really lacked the triumph that Demelza was at that event (and I'm sorry, she's just completely too tall and lacking in boobs to portray the character....she's supposed to send men into ecstasy over her body and personality: a flat chest didn't do that..)   The show continues to be incredibly disjointed to me.

Not every man likes every body type.   I thought she looked quite lovely in that dress.

• Love 7

Thought this episode was enthralling. Demelza singing in that English Plain Song style like a Cornish Kate Rusby, and Verity just being a wonderful human being. Loved Demelza taking Jud down gridiron style and even the predictable discovery of a thick seam of copper was satisfying in the way a good news tale usually is. 

Francis becomes a bigger powder puff with every episode, and whereas I was all ready to loathe Elizabeth, I'm beginning to see of all the major players, she is the most trapped and the most tragic. 

I don't know why this isn't a hit like Downton, I find it so much better. Hopefully PBS will stay with it for future seasons- it took Midwife a whiles to build and PBS gave it time and now they co-produce it.

• Love 9
(edited)

I binge-watched to catch up. I haven't read the books (and don't want to be spoiled by this forum's postings about what happens in the book please). I'm enjoying this more than I expected.

I like that we are seeing the mining as part of the story. Such a difficult way to make a living now and then, yet the miners were so thrilled to go back to work. Also interesting to understand the importance of fishing (did these people ever rest?), and to watch Ross try to build his business and lure investors.

However I do keep wondering how Ross is paying for his own servants' wages, food, new cloaks and so on, given the estate's financial woes. Perhaps the estate generates a small income? Or he received something for being a soldier?

Sad to watch Warren Clarke's death throes, knowing that we lost him.

From certain angles Jack Farthing (George) resembles Hugh Grant. Farthing is quite good as George - in earlier episodes he struggled just a little with his evil ways.

As a gentleman, why does Ross never wear the wig? I think the wild curly black hair is meant to evoke the brooding Heathcliff look. Is it acceptable (in that environment) that he never wears the fancier clothes while mixing with landed gentry?  Doesn't he have some laying around in a box? In earlier posts someone mentioned AT resembling Liev Schreiber. That's the first thing I thought back in episode one. They have similar deep voices, too. Also, wouldn't he and his wife ride to the winter party? Maybe they only have one horse.

I noticed the tavern prostitute's obvious, modern makeup and hair color - raspberry lips, fuschia hair streaks, a perfectly clean dress...and yet they gave her dirty hands and fingernails. And Demelza's eyebrows don't match her red hair.

The dog is really attuned to the actress who plays Demelza. He's constantly looking at her rather than off-camera at a handler.

Edited by pasdetrois
  • Love 2

I've been watching this (never read the books, or ever saw the '75 version, so I'm a Poldark virgin, if you will) and have been enjoying it. I am bummed that PBS is cutting scenes in the U.S. airings. I like this show, but not enough to buy the dvds, so I guess I'll wait until it becomes available on Netflix and watch them then for the deleted scenes.

Last night had to be my favorite episode to date. Though I do wonder if it's written in Turner's contract that he must never shave?  He's very attractive, even with the scruff, but I would like to see what he looks like underneath it all, you know?

Don't laugh, but I kept crossing my fingers every time they showed Ross and his men at the mine, hoping to find copper, and releasing my breath (didn't realize I was holding it as well) when they didn't. And I cheered with everyone when they struck!

The entire Pilchard scene confused me. When they finally arrived all I could think was: all they eat is fish? Blech.*

*I'm allergic to seafood in any form.

I love Verity and Demelza together, and really enjoyed the scenes where Verity is teaching Demelza how to curtsy and dance. I'm stiff and uncoordinated like Demelza is, and the only time I can "loosen" up and move, is if I've been drinking. *shrugs*

Francis continues to make me dislike him more and more with each episode. And Elizabeth does nothing for me. They both bore me.

Oh, and I hope Dr. Choake, CHOKES when he learns about Ross' mine succeeding. Though now this means that that smarmy banker (what's his name again?) is reaping the rewards since Choake sold him his stock? Bummer.

All that said, I still think last week's love scene with Ross and Demelza was hotter. If the show could spend more than 10-15 seconds in their love scenes, I'd appreciate it, thankyouverramuch.

• Love 3
(edited)

This episode was actually watchable but still choppy in the story telling. For example, when Demelza tells Jud and Prudie that they educated her, WhenTF did that happen in previous 3 episodes? The closest we’ve seen them “educate” Demelza was when Prudie instructed her how to make a meat pie. And from the WTF expressions on their faces, I suppose they had the same thought.

Francis…other than to make accusations and further strain his marriage, WhyTF invite Ross over for Christmas? Okay, we get it. Francis is a flaky failure.

Which brings me to another WTF moment. Charles asking Ross to look after Francis and uphold the Poldark name????? Really, after Charles says that Ross had done it now (in a bad way), Ross is less an F-up than Francis, in spite of  committing social suicide by marrying his kitchenmaid?

And WTF with Ross’ list of  “whom to tell I have married” 1. Francis (okay, that makes sense. Francis is his cousin.), 2. Margaret the whore (really? Tell the local whore who’s ‘known’ to you, George Warleggan and Francis??? On second thought, that makes sense: she takes him off her client list and she can spread the news to her other clients.)

.Editing to add a final WTF: crashing a family Christmas dinner...if that's what polite society does, I rather hang with the impolite.

Edited by Milz
  • Love 4

Which brings me to another WTF moment. Charles asking Ross to look after Francis and uphold the Poldark name????? Really, after Charles says that Ross had done it now (in a bad way), Ross is less an F-up than Francis, in spite of  committing social suicide by marrying his kitchenmaid?

This didn't bother me so much because I think Charles said that, probably after hearing how well liked and respected Ross is among the miners that work for him?

• Love 1

This episode was actually watchable but still choppy in the story telling. For example, when Demelza tells Jud and Prudie that they educated her, WhenTF did that happen in previous 3 episodes? The closest we’ve seen them “educate” Demelza was when Prudie instructed her how to make a meat pie. And from the WTF expressions on their faces, I suppose they had the same thought.

Demelza was just messing with them by saying that. She's much smarter than the Paynters. Also, the uncut version of this scene shows Jud and Prudie discussing Demelza's remark, congratulating themselves a bit, and finally deciding that they're better off with Demelza as their mistress than some newcomer.

• Love 5
(edited)
From certain angles Jack Farthing (George) resembles Hugh Grant.

I've been thinking that, too. He sounds like him sometimes as well.

it becomes available on Netflix

It's available! You can't stream it, but the DVDs are there.

Francis…other than to make accusations and further strain his marriage, WhyTF invite Ross over for Christmas?

Ross is family. I think Francis has a very love-hate relationship with Ross, so Francis won't ever be able to completely cut ties. And there was also the curiosity about Demelza.

Was it a continuity error when Ross and Demelza were walking home from the Christmas celebration in the snow and then the land was suddenly green? Or was that to show the passing of time again? This show doesn't always make that sort of thing clear.

Edited by dubbel zout
  • Love 3
It's just that .......sometimes I do think I displease you'. And Ross's expression is like 'HUH?? then he says something that sounded like 'I'm a soldier and used to giving orders but you are far from displeasing to me'. And she says, ' Now how would I know that?'  And he says,' I must endeavor to make it clearer'. Now we must go'.......and lifts her to the horse.

I was happy until I came here and read about all the scenes we missed.   It sounds like they cut half the episode and any romantic scene between Ross and Demelza where he lifts her to his horse, should never be cut.

• Love 12

I've been thinking that, too. He sounds like him sometimes as well.

Ross is family. I think Francis has a very love-hate relationship with Ross, so Francis won't ever be able to completely cut ties. And there was also the curiosity about Demelza.

Was it a continuity error when Ross and Demelza were walking home from the Christmas celebration in the snow and then the land was suddenly green? Or was that to show the passing of time again? This show doesn't always make that sort of thing clear.

Of course, Ross is family and can't be cut out entirely, but Francis' wishy washyness is irritating. Besides, if Warleggan and the Treneglos' can freeload a Christmas dinner, the Trenwith Poldarks could freeload off someone else too.

I noticed that too. Including the clover flowers in another scene which is supposed to take place in autumn or early winter. If this series continues, I hope they put a graphic like "Christmas 1789" on the screen.

• Love 1

That was diplomacy. Demelza was sweet-talking them into accepting her marriage.

Francis may have struggled to contain his jealousy and feelings of inadequacy for the entire Christmas shindig, but that doesn't mean it was wrong of him to try to build bridges. He and Ross are cousins and were close friends once, before Elizabeth came between them.

• Love 3

That was diplomacy. Demelza was sweet-talking them into accepting her marriage.

Yeah, I always yell like a fishwife when I'm sweet talking someone......

I never said she was good at it...;-)

After reading what was cut by Masterpiece, the scene makes more sense (and is more in line with the book).

I do wish they spend more time with the Verity-Demelza BFF storyline.

I do wish they spend more time with the Verity-Demelza BFF storyline.

I wish that about a lot of the sub-plots. A lot. The potential is all there.

But Ross and Demelza's story is very sweetly told.

When she was cooing and talking to the baby, I was afraid she was going to eat it.  Poor kid.  Those choppers have got to be terrifying from that angle.

• Love 5