Type keyword(s) to search

Social Media and Behind the Scenes: AKA Everything Else Not "News and Media"

Zalyn
  • Start Topic

3 minutes ago, quarks said:

but until those sexual harassment training courses are backed up by actual consequences, they are toothless

This is what I tell my students all the time: You don't have to break the rules. You can just follow the rules and you won't face punishment. But if they know you aren't following through with the punishment they are less inclined to play by the rules. 

But then again, I don't know any men in their right mind who thinks that masturbating into a plant in front of a woman is a correct thing to do. You could show them all the sexual harassment videos the world has to offer, they still wouldn't play by the books. They know it is wrong but they do it anyway because they feel as though they can and nobody can get to them. Which is sadly true in many cases. 

• Love 2

What you need are unions and HR departments that require a union person to be placed in them. As various people have pointed out, the job of a HR department is to protect the company, not the employee. The job of a union is to protect the union members. It's insane how the simple concept of a union has been so thourougly had its reputation ruined in the US. Plenty of other countries do completely fine with them. 

• Love 5
22 minutes ago, quarks said:

[/prohat]

Not sure what the current situation is with Warner Bros Television, but back in the 1990s/early 2000s, at least, they did have a mandatory sexual harassment training thing for contract workers. At least two major multimedia companies, one associated with a Mouse, required it this year.  Since the CW is part owned by CBS, which does have a mandatory sexual harassment program, I think the CW probably had something along those lines - if memory serves, one of the actors even mentioned attending something of the sort back in season 3 of Arrow.

The problem is, at least in my experience, these are less "prevent sexual harassment" things and more "let's keep our butts covered in case of lawsuit things."  And, as you point out, it still requires people to report the harassment, which several sources quoted in the Variety article about Kreisberg admitted they didn't do, because they were worried about losing their jobs/getting blacklisted in Hollywood. And that's a real fear.

And the biggest issue is "those that fear consequences might stop." Look, the fundamental problem here is that until October, most of these guys never faced consequences. Even this month many of them aren't facing consequences.  Mel Gibson is in a film that just opened, pulling in $30 million over opening day weekend. Charlie Sheen stayed employed for years despite multiple issues, including harassment and alleged domestic violence. And while yes, this was back in the 1970s, Roman Polanski was actually convicted, skipped out on his prison sentence, and continued to make films.

It's all very well to say, "Hey, this can be stopped by sexual harassment training/consequences," but until those sexual harassment training courses are backed up by actual consequences, they are toothless.  Fortunately, that finally seems to be happening - but I need to put the emphasis on seems. I have seen Hollywood pull this sort of crap before - get all concerned/excited about an issue, and then forget about it a year later.  Again - this very weekend we have Mel Gibson. 

I agree, it's great that these stories are finally seeing the light of day and I hope this can lead to changes being made. However history has shown us that is not always the case, the stories will die down and it will go back to business as usual.  Sexual harassment training is probably treated as a joke among those men.  

I think tastes are changing and young men who grew up today really have grown up differently. Now there of course those who are confused by the modern world, but I think overall, the trend it towards the better. I read an interesting article just a bit ago which talked about the generation gap between the young women today and the 50+ generation. And it said that older generation walked into this expecting to be harassed and find some way to deal with it, while the younger generation was raised in a more idealistic manner and walked into the situation expected to be treated fairly and hence are more shocked and outraged when something like this happens to them. 

In other news: 

Black dudes on the vanguard. 

Edited by tofutan
  • Love 5
9 minutes ago, tofutan said:

What you need are unions and HR departments that require a union person to be placed in them. As various people have pointed out, the job of a HR department is to protect the company, not the employee. The job of a union is to protect the union members. It's insane how the simple concept of a union has been so thourougly had its reputation ruined in the US. Plenty of other countries do completely fine with them. 

Yes. Well.

Within the entertainment industry, this all exists.

SAG, WGA, IATSE et. al. are unions. They were created to protect creatives and stagehands against the extremely predatory practices of movie studios, and they have to a certain extent accomplished some of those goals. And although yes, studios do have the options of filming in other countries and/or work for hire states and thus, hiring non-union workers, in practice, with very few exceptions, the major studios all work with union workers, and even indy productions use union creatives/contractors. Studios have even been known to pay for the initiation fees for Equity/SAG/WGA cards, since in many cases the production cannot/will not work with non-union contractors. 

Again, I'm not sure about Time Warner, but Disney, CBS and Viacom have invited WGA and IATSE representatives to work with their HR department. Creatives are generally encouraged to contact their agents first, and handle HR/harassment claims through them, but creatives can and also do contact/work with these unions, and stagehands have certainly worked through/with IATSE with multiple disputes.

The issue here is really not "creatives need unions" or "studios need to have sexual harassment training." The issue is that Hollywood has, until recently, not bothered to enforce this stuff.

• Love 6

Unfortunately, to be blunt, the unions don't have the manpower to have someone at every set. There are field reps who are have shows/sets they visit routinely and will also go out on an as needed basis, but it is a small department with, I believe, less than 10 people in it. For all of the TV shows, movies, commercials, and other projects that are being filmed. Add the projects being filmed outside of the US, and it's clear it's a way less than ideal situation. 

• Love 5
13 minutes ago, calliope1975 said:

Unfortunately, to be blunt, the unions don't have the manpower to have someone at every set. There are field reps who are have shows/sets they visit routinely and will also go out on an as needed basis, but it is a small department with, I believe, less than 10 people in it. For all of the TV shows, movies, commercials, and other projects that are being filmed. Add the projects being filmed outside of the US, and it's clear it's a way less than ideal situation. 

The workers inside every company vote for their union rep. That union rep is unfirable as long as they are union rep. They can coordinate things with the actual fulltime union. The union provides legal support in any cases of conflict, they get the right to march into any copmany and trigger an investigation. Laws are made to decide to what extent companies must cooperate. 

I don't know if I need SA to weigh in on this publicly. Because he often doesn't do it in a way that does him any favours. Maybe he supports them privately. 

But what I don't get is the people who work for the Arrowverse in those higher positions. Are they just going to ignore it and wait for WB to finish their investigation before making a statement? I mean, they wouldn't even have to make big statements but they are not even saying that they are trying to make the workplace a safe environment. Best theory, they all knew and now don't want to be pulled down with one of their own. Because if you read the statements of the Arrowverse women, it doesn't sound like it was a secret, it sounds like everyone knew what was going on and for the first time there is a chance to fight back. Shame on the people who allowed AK to behave the way he did. And usually, I give people the benefit of the doubt but if 19 people who have everything to lose come forward, then their stories should be taken seriously.  

• Love 1

The working relationship between Guggenheim, Berlanti and Kreisberg goes all the way back to their time on Eli Stone. That's almost 10 years ago. There's no way Marc and Greg didn't know what their colleague was up to. They just didn't care as long as the money kept rolling in. 

Edited by strikera0
  • Love 15

SA posting a picture with David and Emily referring to them as “my friends” might be his way of publicly supporting them.  His texasgate experience along with the Pride parade fallout has probably made him hesitant to say anything about anything slightly controversial. He doesn’t handle criticism well.

• Love 4
29 minutes ago, Belinea said:

But what I don't get is the people who work for the Arrowverse in those higher positions. Are they just going to ignore it and wait for WB to finish their investigation before making a statement?

Legally, they really should be making any statements while an investigation is going on. That's why I'm not surprised nothing is coming out of Berlanti and company. Even the statements from Emily, Melissa and others have been, as Vanity Fair put it, oblique in their reference of Kreisberg. They basically addressed sexual harassment in general without naming him.  

I would love for Stephen to just RT the post or like it, but he may be unable to do so if he'd been approached in the WB investigation as a possible witness, etc. I'm pretty sure there's a ton of BTS shit going down right now. But I'd rather he and Guggenheim and the rest of the Arrowverse men just keep quiet if they are not going to be showing explicit support. Just don't post anything for now.

• Love 3
13 minutes ago, Belinea said:

I don't know if I need SA to weigh in on this publicly. Because he often doesn't do it in a way that does him any favours. Maybe he supports them privately. 

But what I don't get is the people who work for the Arrowverse in those higher positions. Are they just going to ignore it and wait for WB to finish their investigation before making a statement? I mean, they wouldn't even have to make big statements but they are not even saying that they are trying to make the workplace a safe environment. Best theory, they all knew and now don't want to be pulled down with one of their own. Because if you read the statements of the Arrowverse women, it doesn't sound like it was a secret, it sounds like everyone knew what was going on and for the first time there is a chance to fight back. Shame on the people who allowed AK to behave the way he did. And usually, I give people the benefit of the doubt but if 19 people who have everything to lose come forward, then their stories should be taken seriously.  

Berlanti has made an official statement but Marc said he won't comment on an ongoing investigation on twitter, which is stupid because though it'd be nice it's not a police investigation so I really don't think there's anything stopping Marc from making the standard and scripted "Im shocked and sadden to learn...." statement.

Then again  maybe it's better to say nothing then to have him make a statement that's so obviously fake in sentiment. I mean I'd rather Ben Affleck not use his social media accounts to pretend to be an ally to women while it's fairly common knowledge he used his celebrity to protect his sexual harasser of a brother, that he also knew and protected Harvey and that he pushed Rose McGowan to carry on with a press conference right after she was attacked by Weinstein and came to him about it to protect the movie he starred in. I don't need to hear from that guy that he stands with women and that men need to be better. I need him to acknowledge and apologise for his own crappy complicit behavior.

A simple like or RT of EBR's/MB's posts would go a long way but it seems SA can't even do that? I'm willing to give it a bit of time because we don't know what's happening BTS but it's disappointing, even though he's actually doing exactly what I expected, haha. 

1 minute ago, Angel12d said:

I'm willing to give it a bit of time because we don't know what's happening BTS but it's disappointing, even though he's actually doing exactly what I expected,

All jokes and weird shipping tendencies aside, I do believe that SA genuinely considers EBR a friend and but then again he always seems to toe the company line. There are some instances where he can't help himself because he gets upset because it affects him directly...Coachella love, NotallTexans... 

At this point, IMO, SA is damned if he does and damned if he doesn't. The lead of a show has a burden that others do not. If SA speaks out and gets fired, then that's the end of the show for all intents and purposes. I mean it's not an ensemble piece unless they fire him, EBR and DR and rebrand it to something else. If he gets fired hundreds of people lose their jobs. If he speaks out but says it in a way that doesn't please everyone, he'll take heat for that. If he says nothing at all then some will presume he's a co-conspirator by staying silent which may not be true at all.  I'm giving him benefit of doubt that he is not okay with any of this. That he's crafting some kind of response and will speak when he thinks it's appropriate. Maybe it won't be for a week or more.

• Love 7

Just my 2 cents worth. 

I’ve always thought it was odd how much Stephen, David and Colton kept Emily close whenever they were doing press away from Vancouver. Like they were protecting her from something. I have felt this way since she started getting more press. 

In the back of my mind I had doubts about other people who were there. Berlanti never made the warning bells go off but Kreisberg immediately did. There was always a creep factor whenever I saw him in videos and pictures. I’m disappointed in Guggie. 

• Love 3
12 minutes ago, Angel12d said:

A simple like or RT of EBR's/MB's posts would go a long way but it seems SA can't even do that? I'm willing to give it a bit of time because we don't know what's happening BTS but it's disappointing, even though he's actually doing exactly what I expected, haha. 

That's kind of where I'm at too. I certainly don't want to pressure anyone to say something they don't feel comfortable saying, or to put their jobs or an ongoing investigation in jeopardy, but I also think that EBR risked a lot by specifically calling out MG and his "reverse sexism" BS,  and a show of support from someone like him would carry weight. It doesn't even have to be an RT or a comment (we all know he's not always great with comments), but Grant Gustin hasn't said anything yet and he still liked her post.

• Love 2
3 minutes ago, Trisha said:

That's kind of where I'm at too. I certainly don't want to pressure anyone to say something they don't feel comfortable saying, or to put their jobs or an ongoing investigation in jeopardy, but I also think that EBR risked a lot by specifically calling out MG and his "reverse sexism" BS,  and a show of support from someone like him would carry weight. It doesn't even have to be an RT or a comment (we all know he's not always great with comments), but Grant Gustin hasn't said anything yet and he still liked her post.

Exactly. I view SA as someone whose job is completely safe, being the lead of his own show, and so he doesn't have as much to lose as someone like EBR or even DR, who found the time to tweet his support. So I don't think there's any real excuse for his silence right now tbh. But as I said above, I'm willing to give it time. SA does have the tendency to stick his foot in his mouth so I'd prefer it if he took some time to think about his words first.

Even so, a like/RT wouldn't have gone amiss, IMO.

I hesitate to even care what SA says. I had a difficult time when all this began with Weinstein because every day it became more about who denounced him and whether their statement was good enough, when I wanted the focus to stay on the garbage person. But I also realize real change only happens when everyone makes a commitment to creating a welcoming, fair environment. Basically, I don't know how I feel yet. 

• Love 8

I don’t believe for a second people like SA or Grant would be in danger of losing their jobs if they speak up. It takes guts to do it and if they don’t feel like it fine, everyone handles things how they can but in a moment when people are all talking about something that involves the whole DCTV universe directly posting a pic like that without acknowledging what happened feels out of place to me because what happened is so big if you have nothing to say on it don’t bother talking in general. Probably unfair but that’s how I feel today.

• Love 4

SA or GG are much more safe then EBR and DR who can be replaced being they are not comic canon characters and are not the leads of the shows. However I don't think anyone has to worry about being fired for speaking up at this stage, that would make the Network look bad and the CW is already the lowest rated Network. 

• Love 2

Also, even though I like SA, at this point even his bosses can admit that the show wouldn't work anymore with just him. And it wouldn't work either with him and the newbies. So, at this point, I doubt they have that much to worry about. 

Also isn't EBR friends with GB, I thought she even went on vacation with him. 

What struck me about Guggenheim's tweet, other than it being wrong, wrong, wrong, was that I think he left the executive team open for at least a hostile work environment lawsuit, if not more.

I am not worried that Emily or Melissa will face any immediate blowback, I worry about them long term in their industry, like in five years when we're asking "What happened to Emily Bett?  It's really too bad her career didn't take off. She had such promise."  I appreciate that the fear of being labeled "difficult" or creating an uncomfortable work situation with the harasser has kept me from reporting harassment in past workplaces, and I really admire the guts Emily showed in speaking up.  I hope we are seeing a broad-based change where women feel they can report these things, be taken seriously, and expect changes.

I am happy to see David Ramsey and David Harewood speak out.  As we saw from the Mo Ryan article, while Kreisberg's sexual harassment really harmed a lot of women personally and professionally, it also makes a lot of men feel uncomfortable--they don't want to work in an environment like that either. 

• Love 15
55 minutes ago, Midnight Lullaby said:

I don’t believe for a second people like SA or Grant would be in danger of losing their jobs if they speak up. It takes guts to do it and if they don’t feel like it fine, everyone handles things how they can but in a moment when people are all talking about something that involves the whole DCTV universe directly posting a pic like that without acknowledging what happened feels out of place to me because what happened is so big if you have nothing to say on it don’t bother talking in general. Probably unfair but that’s how I feel today.

I'm not suprised nor did I even expect SA to say anything because he seems to cultivate a very dudebro-ey image that appeals to other dudebros. I was pleasantly surprised when he publicly supported pride but since he received FB backlash for that I'm really not expecting anything about the way more controversial (not to me but to his FB followers) topic of sexual harassment. I'd predict an MG style "can't talk about it" type response if it's addressed at all. 

It's sad because what would he really lose if he simply retweeted EBR? Like that's the bare minimum of support while EBR and MB are putting themselves right out there as far as they can before getting into legal issue territory. Maybe it's the professionally correct thing to do but it's not morally and it is cowardly.

Edited by leopardprint
1 hour ago, BunsenBurner said:

In the back of my mind I had doubts about other people who were there. Berlanti never made the warning bells go off but Kreisberg immediately did. There was always a creep factor whenever I saw him in videos and pictures.

I was getting a creep vibe from Kreisberg but I thought I was just being prejudiced.

1 hour ago, strikera0 said:

The working relationship between Guggenheim, Berlanti and Kreisberg goes all the way back to their time on Eli Stone. That's almost 10 years ago. There's no way Marc and Greg didn't know what their colleague was up to. They just didn't care as long as the money kept rolling in. 

It seems like he got worse as he got more power and more independence.  Guggenheim and Berlanti should have known, should have shut the indications down but there is also a "boys will be boys" mentality especially when it comes to things like jokes.  Maybe they didn't know how bad it was. Or maybe they did.

12 hours ago, Featherhat said:

His fellow show runner was accused of horrible behaviour by a lot of people and his response entirely misses the point. If he felt the need to comment at all it should have been sometime bland in support of a safe work place until this is all sorted out. But mostly he should have stayed off SM. It's behaviour like this that makes me worried about EBRs career and character for having directly called him out. He's always the victim in his narrative.

A bland, supportive comment would have been best if he had to speak out at all, and he always seems to think he has to.  I agree, he's always the victim in his story.

As others have said, EBR is probably pretty safe right now given how popular Felicity is.  But who knows a few  years down the road.  It was brave of her to call Guggenheim out.

8 hours ago, Soulfire said:

Nice to have an interview with her.  But all those sexualized photographs of her is a bad taste in my mouth right now.  Why do women have to be half-naked to be attractive?

And to give credit where it's due, some men dodo the right thing:

• Love 2
2 hours ago, LeighAn said:

Berlanti has made an official statement but Marc said he won't comment on an ongoing investigation on twitter, which is stupid because though it'd be nice it's not a police investigation so I really don't think there's anything stopping Marc from making the standard and scripted "Im shocked and sadden to learn...." statement.

Criminal prosecution isn't his only risk, though. If there are civil lawsuits, any statements he's made publicly (or privately) are discoverable. So from a legal perspective, I don't blame him or anyone else in the Berlanti-verse for not making an official statement. But that just makes his unofficial "reverse sexism" statement all the more stupid.

As for Stephen, I honestly don't care if he speaks about this publicly or not, but I care a lot about whether he's supporting and protecting Emily and other women in behind the scenes. One of the things that's been interesting in these past few weeks is seeing how many men have made publicly supportive statements, only to later be accused of improper conduct themselves. It's all felt rather performative, and although there's value in that, I'd rather that men start doing the right thing than saying the right thing. Not to say it wouldn't be nice to see him do both, but I won't be upset if he stays silent.

Edited by KenyaJ
  • Love 15
2 hours ago, tofutan said:

The workers inside every company vote for their union rep. That union rep is unfirable as long as they are union rep. They can coordinate things with the actual fulltime union. The union provides legal support in any cases of conflict, they get the right to march into any copmany and trigger an investigation. Laws are made to decide to what extent companies must cooperate. 

Again, this is the current situation. SAG-Aftra/WGA/etc are full time unions with the right to march into any company and trigger an investigation, and any SAG/WGA/etc member has the right to request that investigation.  They can and do provide legal support in any cases of conflict. 

What you are leaving out here is that most Hollywood people, particularly but not only creatives, are not generally tied to one company. It is very possible for someone to be contracted to a given studio for just a couple of weeks, or even days, or even one day, and then work for a completely different studio/multimedia company the following day/week/month. In addition, a) studios film in multiple locations with different sets of employment laws, b) on any given set, several different unions will be represented - Arrow, for instance, hires SAG-Aftra, WGA and IATSE members at least, and c) on any given set, you might have just one union member from a given union - for instance, most films are scripted by just one person.

Also, for tax and other legal/financial reasons, pretty much all shows/films are produced not by the major studios, but by either a set of subsidiary companies created for that one show, or an independent outside company. We can see this with Arrow for instance - if you look at those location shooting warnings, you can see the name of the actual Canadian company that is hiring most of the staff on set - and it's not Warner Bros Television. 

This, incidentally, is exactly why this is the one industry in the United States that does have relatively strong union representation. Which, as we're seeing right now, has its limitations - but that SAG-Aftra representation is also presumably one reason why Benoist, EBR and others are feeling somewhat free to speak up.

• Love 6
4 hours ago, tofutan said:

Yes this! I'm a shop steward for my work place and I always tell my fellow employees if they ever need me in their meetings with the employer they can call on me. We have this policy that even if we aren't always there, another employee can sit in. 

His statement was great. Really, really great. I'm glad that he mentioned that he wanted to talk to the cast and crew first before speaking publicly to explain why he didn't say anything before now. This is what being an ally looks like: "I told them this morning and I tell you now and I meant it, if anyone ever feels anything less than 100% safe...that they should come to whomever they're supposed to go to and that I'll stand right beside them. I'll speak on their behalf if need be. If you're not an active part of the solution than you are part of the problem." 

• Love 21

I’m really happy he said something about it. I know I said I was fine with him and others not speaking up but I’m so mad about what happened that it was a half truth. I wished I had the power to support those women in a more meaningful way, I think his support means a lot and it feels so good he spoke up.

• Love 4
4 minutes ago, Midnight Lullaby said:

I’m really happy he said something about it. I know I said I was fine with him and others not speaking up but I’m so mad about what happened that it was a half truth. I wished I had the power to support those women in a more meaningful way, I think his support means a lot and it feels so good he spoke up.

I would've been okay if no one had ever said anything, but once Emily put herself out there I wanted her coworkers to support her. Once DR said something I was like...okay, tick tock! Glad he responded.

• Love 11

Even through I clearly did not reserve judgement, that's a good and respectful statement. 

11 minutes ago, apinknightmare said:

I would've been okay if no one had ever said anything, but once Emily put herself out there I wanted her coworkers to support her. Once DR said something I was like...okay, tick tock! Glad he responded.

After David commented, I was definitely in final countdown mode and became too impatient. (He still could have hit that like button though...sorry I can't help myself, his statement is much better than a like, mea culpa)

Edited by leopardprint
  • Love 1
Just now, apinknightmare said:

Yep. Once one person says something, you want to see support/statements from others. And then when more people do say something, you notice who hasn't. 

That was a good statement. 

• Love 1
4 minutes ago, apinknightmare said:

Me too. I guess because I see things from my perspective so I know what it means for a woman not in a position of power to come forward..I look at men thinking “if she can do it, you can too.” I can’t help it.

• Love 3

I’m pleased that SA didn’t jump the gun and reply too quickly. He went to work and discussed it with the crew as well as the actors. He took the time to formulate a proper answer, even though it was all over the place as were his eyes. 

He did well on this. 

• Love 6

"If you're not an active part of the solution than you are part of the problem."

This is the tack MG should have taken.  But maybe he is part of the problem.  To quote Edmund Burke "The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

Well done, Stephen.

8 minutes ago, BunsenBurner said:

even though it was all over the place as were his eyes. 

I can't remember what this means.  ??

• Love 2