Type keyword(s) to search

Social Media and Behind the Scenes: AKA Everything Else Not "News and Media"

Zalyn
  • Start Topic

33 minutes ago, thegirlsleuth said:

I'm trying to figure out if the promo is really muted for tonight's episode or whether all of it is so boring that no one is talking about it and I've tuned it out.

Both? 

• Love 1
45 minutes ago, thegirlsleuth said:

I'm trying to figure out if the promo is really muted for tonight's episode or whether all of it is so boring that no one is talking about it and I've tuned it out.

With all the negative feedback they’ve been getting about the newbies on pretty much all of their SM platforms they might have changed tactics for the episode promo, especially if it’s as Dinah centric as it sounds. 

• Love 1

Isn't that the same thing they did with 214? Push it as KC's big moment then swerve last minute and push the Felicity subplot? Except that actually had something else to lean back on whereas this probably only has newbies vs OTA and Dinah and things that might be construed as spoilers.

I don't think the promo is muted. A couple sneak peeks, a couple dialogue teases, a couple interviews. Seems pretty standard. I just don't think a lot of fans are talking about the episode. 

It looks like SA deleted his twitter. 

2 hours ago, Chaser said:

It looks like SA deleted his twitter. 

Huh? No he didn't. I'm pretty new to Twitter but I just looked and his account is still there. Or do you mean a particular tweet? Or is this twitter slang for something and I'm clueless? That's possible. 

2 minutes ago, MissL said:

Huh? No he didn't. I'm pretty new to Twitter but I just looked and his account is still there. Or do you mean a particular tweet? Or is this twitter slang for something and I'm clueless? That's possible. 

No, earlier today it looks like he deactivated his account (either that or it was a glitch) - if you went looking for him, you'd get a message that the account didn't exist. 

1 minute ago, apinknightmare said:

No, earlier today it looks like he deactivated his account (either that or it was a glitch) - if you went looking for him, you'd get a message that the account didn't exist. 

That's been happening a lot lately. It happened to Sean Hannity last week and I've seen it happen to some non-famous people too. 

4 minutes ago, apinknightmare said:

Ah thanks!  He's so prevalent on social media I was thinking....no way he deleted twitter!

He just did an IG live and is back on the twitter isn't that great boat. One of the things he mentioned was negativity towards his castmates. My guess is he's not appreciating the increased feedback about the Newbies.

• Love 3
8 minutes ago, Chaser said:

He just did an IG live and is back on the twitter isn't that great boat. One of the things he mentioned was negativity towards his castmates. My guess is he's not appreciating the increased feedback about the Newbies.

Well maybe he should talk to the writers about that? I haven't seen negativity towards the actors themselves but the characters I feel is fair game,  Stephen. 

• Love 14

I guess he'll never be able to handle playing a villain character if he equates character hate to personal hate.

Im also curious if he blindly ignores the huge amount of hate I've seen directed at characters and actors on his own Facebook? 

• Love 2
6 minutes ago, Mary0360 said:

I guess he'll never be able to handle playing a villain character if he equates character hate to personal hate.

Im also curious if he blindly ignores the huge amount of hate I've seen directed at characters and actors on his own Facebook? 

My only guess is that although Felicity gets hate she also has legions of devoted fans. 

The Noobs...........*crickets* plus lots of hate.

Makes me wonder if the actors playing noobs are whiners and have whinged to him about their lack of success. That fellow who plays wild dog seems like a bit of a cry baby. 

• Love 8
1 hour ago, Chaser said:

One of the things he mentioned was negativity towards his castmates. My guess is he's not appreciating the increased feedback about the Newbies.

I didn't watch it but is he saying the actors themselves are getting the hate or people complain about their characters? Because one is actually not cool but complaining about a fictional character that you don't like should be ok. 

30 minutes ago, Belinea said:

I didn't watch it but is he saying the actors themselves are getting the hate or people complain about their characters? Because one is actually not cool but complaining about a fictional character that you don't like should be ok. 

I'm guessing the latter since why would trolls who send hate to actors tag someone other then the actor they want to send hate to.

3 hours ago, Chaser said:

Fans can only respond to what we are given to watch.  If Stephen isn’t happy about the negative response to the newbies, and by extension the show, then he needs to talk to the writers because they’re responsible making them so unlikeable. 

This is not a fans on Twitter problem, it’s a character writing and show problem.

• Love 17
5 minutes ago, kes0704 said:

Fans can only respond to what we are given to watch.  If Stephen isn’t happy about the negative response to the newbies, and by extension the show, then he needs to talk to the writers because they’re responsible making them so unlikeable. 

This is not a fans on Twitter problem, it’s a character writing and show problem.

Yes exactly! Or would he prefer apathy instead? Cuz I seriously do not care enough to even write up a proper comment for the episode thread.

• Love 4
8 hours ago, Chaser said:

It certainly may be the hostility toward the newbies, but I can also see that the constant critique of something that you do and enjoy would be wearing. 

I just got back my student evals from last semester. And though my evals were majority positive, it is so hard not to get focused on the negative ones and feel defensive and kind of blue. Even the critiques that weren't personal attacks - and this semester I didn't get any of those woo! - are still critical of something. It can be really disheartening. I deal with looking at evals twice a year and it takes me a day or two to process through them and regain my equilibrium. Looking at your Twitter feed as an actor seems to me like getting evaluations every single day. Which, yuck. Of course people have the right to complain about the characters they don't like - I do it, too. But I can see how being on the receiving end of daily criticism, even when there is positive in the mix, would make you dislike that platform.

• Love 4

I just watched it and I dont think he meant hate toward the newbies but just used hate towards his cast mates as one of the excuses. I just think he wanted to leave twitter and just listed a bunch of dumb reasons. we all know he's extra when it comes to these things.

• Love 1

Yeah, I'm going to say he's just having another snit about Twitter for whatever reason. As a verified user, he's pretty much in control of the experience he has - he doesn't follow anyone abusive, and he has the option to check replies only from people he follows, so he could live a whole twitter life without ever seeing randos hating on him or anyone else if he wanted to. And it's not like Facebook doesn't have its abusive assholes - he's responded to them on there, LOL. 

• Love 5

I don’t know much about twitter but you can ignore your mentions, right? So this just seems to be a fairly melodramatic response and he seems to mainly use his twitter for sportsball and business promo, so it’s not like he’s putting himself out there opinion wise.

Speaking of sportsball, I’m taking a wild guess that this embargo lasts until Sunday (or he needs to sell something). 

Edited by leopardprint
  • Love 1

This is weird because for as much hate as I've seen for the newbies, I am yet to see anyone @ the actors with this hate? I think SA's just having his usual "FB is better than twitter" nonsense. It happens once a year. (I mean, I've only been called a c*** and threatened with rape on FB but okay Steve, FB is better. ?)

• Love 9

Didn't Rick Gonzalez scrap with some fans on twitter? No the cast pile on that happened with one person, but another time, when he threw up his arms when people were calling Rene a traitor. Maybe Stephen is talking about that situation.  My recollection was that the fans seemed pretty polite, if unhappy with Rene, but Rick was dismissive and rude.

• Love 2
9 minutes ago, thegirlsleuth said:

Didn't Rick Gonzalez scrap with some fans on twitter? No the cast pile on that happened with one person, but another time, when he threw up his arms when people were calling Rene a traitor. Maybe Stephen is talking about that situation.  My recollection was that the fans seemed pretty polite, if unhappy with Rene, but Rick was dismissive and rude.

I'd forgotten about that. But even that was just annoyance about his character and not about RG himself and he handled that whole thing badly, IMO. 

• Love 1
2 hours ago, leopardprint said:

I don’t know much about twitter but you can ignore your mentions, right? So this just seems to be a fairly melodramatic response and he seems to mainly use his twitter for sportsball and business promo, so it’s not like he’s putting himself out there opinion wise.

He mentioned in the IG live that he usually ignores his mentions (I'm assuming he just means his mentions from non-verified people) but that he sometimes goes into them after an episode to "read the tea leaves" and he's depressed by all the negativity. He also talked about yesterday seeing "a bunch of people that were dragging an entity that had just unveiled something that was by all accounts about inclusion,  it was a positive thing" -- I have no idea what that was about? 

It's kind of hilarious that he deactivated for all of 40 minutes. Personally I've always kind of thought he should give up on Twitter (or at least let it be guided by a social media agency but lord knows he never will because he always claims to "know more than them" -- even though it took him weeks to fix his visitor post settings on Facebook, lol). He's always been negative about Twitter and doesn't really see the value in it. He seems to prefer the positive echo chambers of Facebook and Instagram -- which yes, still have a bit of negativity but he seems to be able to block that out just fine there. 

Edited by Trisha
  • Love 1
7 minutes ago, Trisha said:

He mentioned that he usually ignores his mentions (I'm assuming he just means his mentions from non-verified people) but that he sometimes goes into them after an episode to "read the tea leaves" and he's depressed by all the negativity. He also talked about yesterday seeing "a bunch of people that were dragging an entity that had just unveiled something that was by all accounts about inclusion,  it was a positive thing" -- I have no idea what that was about? 

It's kind of hilarious that he deactivated for all of 40 minutes. Personally I've always kind of thought he should give up on Twitter (or at least let it be guided by a social media agency but lord knows he never will because he always claims to "know more than them" -- even though it took him weeks to fix his visitor post settings on Facebook, lol). He's always been negative about Twitter and doesn't really see the value in it. He seems to prefer the positive echo chambers of Facebook and Instagram -- which yes, still have a bit of negativity but he seems to be able to block that out just fine there. 

It’s weird because he probably should be using it just for promotional reasons for all his side business but I guess he isn’t able to separate the professional and the personal in this case. Also, maybe I’m being unsympathetic, but I doubt he gets even a quarter the hate the female stars get, like CP for example. Perhaps there have been some threats or something more serious he’s not talking about. 

There is some speculation the “entity” is Tom Brady? Which is like dude, Tom Brady is like the last person you need to cape for. Wait, does Tom Brady have twitter? ??‍♀️ Suddenly it all becomes clear.  

• Love 1
14 minutes ago, leopardprint said:

There is some speculation the “entity” is Tom Brady? Which is like dude, Tom Brady is like the last person you need to cape for. Wait, does Tom Brady have twitter? ??‍♀️ Suddenly it all becomes clear.  

No, he mentioned Tom Brady (and the commentary on him kissing his son) separately after he mentioned the "entity." I think he's talking about people getting angry about the Canadian national anthem getting changed to be gender neutral.

Edited by apinknightmare
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, thegirlsleuth said:

Yeah..they were positive towards the actor and negative towards the character. That’s something their female colleagues never get to enjoy by the way so I think they should grow up and stop checking the tags if they can’t handle criticism. It’s not even criticism towards their work as actors but towards the writers..if anyone should be offended it’s them, lol

• Love 6
2 hours ago, Trisha said:

He mentioned in the IG live that he usually ignores his mentions (I'm assuming he just means his mentions from non-verified people) but that he sometimes goes into them after an episode to "read the tea leaves" and he's depressed by all the negativity. He also talked about yesterday seeing "a bunch of people that were dragging an entity that had just unveiled something that was by all accounts about inclusion,  it was a positive thing" -- I have no idea what that was about? 

He likes the control he has over his Facebook and Instagram accounts because he can delete or hide visitor posts and IG comments that he doesn’t want seen if he wants to - he can’t do that on Twitter.

Edited by kes0704
3 hours ago, apinknightmare said:

No, he mentioned Tom Brady (and the commentary on him kissing his son) separately after he mentioned the "entity." I think he's talking about people getting angry about the Canadian national anthem getting changed to be gender neutral.

Ugh, as a Canadian I totally should have picked up on that. Thanks!

• Love 1

SCAD aTVfest, February 1-3, 2018 (Savannah College of Art and Design, GA)
Arrowverse casting director David Rapaport (also Danielle Panabaker, Kendrick Sampson, and Black Lightning cast members)
http://www.atvfest.com/
Saturday Schedule

Saturday, Feb. 3, 4 p.m. - "Black Lightning" Screening and Q&A Session
Christine Adams, Nafessa Williams, Damon Gupton, Marvin "Krondon" Jones III, China Anne McClain, James Remar and Cress Williams

Saturday, Feb. 3, 4 p.m. - "The CW Casting Superheroes" Panel
David Rapaport, Danielle Panabaker and Kendrick Sampson

Edited by tv echo

I wasn't sure where to post this book review, but since this book is about what happened between S5 and S6 on Arrow, I guess I'll post it here (I've used spoiler tags just in case anyone doesn't want to know)*...

(* Is it considered a spoiler if the events already happened, but not everybody has read this book? FYI, I'm getting my copy this weekend and will likely post my own report next week.)

Book review: Arrow: Fatal Legacies, James R. Tuck
Amy Woolsey   February 2, 2018
https://culturess.com/2018/02/02/book-review-arrow-fatal-legacies-by-james-r-tuck/

How did Team Arrow survive Lian Yu? The CW’s superhero series ended its latest season on a devastating cliffhanger, leaving several characters’ fates in the balance. When it resumed, our heroes were, by and large, a well-functioning unit again. Flashbacks showed them escaping from the booby-trapped island, but not the subsequent recovery process — a curious omission, since Arrow is, at heart, a story about trauma.

James R. Tuck’s new book remedies that. Written in collaboration with executive producer Marc Guggenheim, Arrow: Fatal Legacies bridges the five-month gap between seasons 5 and 6. It finds Star City

Spoiler

still under the influence of Adrian Chase/Prometheus. Following orders from the dead serial killer, an anarchic arsonist named Alex Faust embarks on a fiery rampage, a crew of mercenaries at his disposal. Only Team Arrow can foil him and end Chase for good. Meanwhile, Oliver struggles to bond with William and navigate his volatile relationship with Felicity.

With season 6 well underway now, Fatal Legacies essentially acts as elaborate filler. Nothing of consequence really happens; otherwise, of course, it would be in the show. Still, it’s an enjoyable read, delivering action, humor, emotion, and romance in spades. Plus, Sara Lance returns!

Fatal Legacies excels at breathing life into its characters, giving them a rich sense of interiority. Unhindered by the structural constraints of broadcast television, it frequently digresses from the ongoing plot for moments of introspection.

Spoiler

There is a whole paragraph devoted to contemplating the sentimental value (or lack thereof) of an abstract painting in the apartment Oliver shares with William — a place “spacious enough for two people who were still strangers.” Narration offers readers a peek at Dinah’s thought process as she accepts her Black Canary uniform and Felicity’s thought process as she watches Oliver on the salmon ladder.

Rest assured, the characters talk plenty too, whether arguing about nicknames or divulging long-buried feelings. As on the show, food and pop culture are popular subjects. Did you know Oliver is a fan of the blues? Well, now you do. Tuck nails each person’s voice, from Quentin’s sarcasm to Felicity’s self-conscious rambling; you can practically hear them speak.

Spoiler

Also, just as crucially, he withholds information when appropriate. Sara lets Team Arrow believe that she is in town for a casual visit, when in reality, she wants an escape from her humdrum job at Sink, Shower & Stuff.

In general, Sara is a welcome presence. Her intimate-yet-professional rapport with Oliver brings back bittersweet memories of season 2, and she instantly gels with the newcomers. Especially delightful are her interactions with Dinah (aka Laurel’s successor), which make me wish they got to partner up more often.

If the book has one major flaw, it’s the action. My eyes tended to glaze over when I encountered meticulous descriptions of fight choreography, despite Tuck’s efforts to animate them with gritty prose. (He doesn’t shy away from stating what an arrow or punch does to a person.) The fact is that words can’t capture the kinetic energy of combat as effectively as images, especially if those images are orchestrated by James Bamford. It’s like having a joke explained to you rather than told; the obvious work involved dilutes the gut-level impact.

Still, Fatal Legacies does a solid job of using action to explore character. Not only do the team members have different skill sets and fighting styles, but they also think differently. For instance,

Spoiler

when he arrives at a burning building, Curtis’s “engineer mind” swiftly analyzes the destruction and produces a list of chemical combinations that could’ve caused the fire. Oliver thrives on instinct, Rene on raw anger. Sara experiences fights as if in slow motion, making discipline look like grace. Every set piece constructs a clear portrait of Team Arrow both as individuals and as a group.

Perhaps the most pleasant surprise, though, is the colorful supporting cast.

Spoiler

I could read an entire book about Papa Legbone, the one-legged, gun-toting ex-con musician, or Dr. Schwartz, who has been treating Team Arrow since season 1. Even the henchmen, typically portrayed as mindless, anonymous goons, have distinct personalities. Ultimately, by populating the world with complex people, Tuck creates a world that feels complex.

Thoughtful and fun in equal measure, Fatal Legacies is a worthy companion to the TV show.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1

Okie dokie, so I read the book and I kind of share similar thoughts as that review. To be fair, I liked the Flarrow books a bit better (mostly because they had a story, while this was just kind of there), but I thought this was fine and framed each of the characters in a nice way, giving each character a section in their pov as well as some sort of set up for a plot going forward.

Pros:

Spoiler
  • Oliver was his s6 mature self, so that was nice to read
  • Olicity were great, open, and pretty obvious at wanting to get back together
  • A Felicity pov is always good, plus with confirmation that a bunch of Oliver's good choices regarding William were actually suggestions from her along with thoughts that I think match up with her 601 reaction. Also, an extended description of Felicity's reaction to Oliver doing the salmon ladder!
  • Sara really only had a supporting role and didn't overtake the plot. It does kind of mean that she was superfluous, but her interactions between all of the characters were fun. Plus funny confirmation that she thinks Felicity is attractive and and extended description of her reacting to Olicity.
  • The newbs are fine and get some good interactions and pov stuff (more on that later)
  • Donna makes a cameo! And Lance acknowledges their history together!
  • Since we're already halfway though the season I didn't find William's scenes too bad  and they weren't overwhelming the book.
  • Confirmation that Oliver did notice that something was wrong with Diggle, but only saw Diggle skipping out on the team many times (only really showing his handicap once in front of Dinah, almost causing her to die) and believed that Diggle wanted to quit the team. After having a really good moment together, Diggle is surprised that Oliver thought that and assures Oliver that he's not going anywhere (pushing even more as to why he kept it a secret)
  • The leftover drama from Chase is present but I think it worked as Oliver wouldn't automatically be better after 523
  • Papa Legbone was great
  • Apparently Felicity knows about the process of switching license plates on cars

Cons:

Spoiler
  • SO. MANY. DESCRIPTIONS. For thoughts and feelings it was fine, but fight scenes seemed to take forever.
  • Not all of the jokes land, but I felt the same for the Flarrow books
  • No reunion scene, the ultimate plot let down of the book
  • While it was nice for all of the characters to have a pov and nice set ups for all of their mindsets going into s6, because of the structure of the plot none of the set up went anywhere (the closest being the Olicity subplot, with them resolving that they will talk about it later and Felicity admitting that she worries about Oliver and William--and admitting that she's about to run out of money from her severance pay and she has no idea what she's going to do-- and Oliver being told that he shouldn't wait for things with Felicity to be resolved)
  • SARA PLANTED THE STUPID REDEMPTION IDEA INTO LANCE
  • As for the newbs, they were mostly harmless (we see Dinah's reaction to getting her new suit, the reason why Rene needed a new suit, etc.). However, some scenes in the book get annoying knowing where s6 goes
  • The idea of Chase setting up a villain posthumously is cool, but I honestly wish that they connected it more to Chase or at least made it more personal. This guy just wanted to blow up the city. The second antagonist had that more personal touch and I wish they spent more time on him over Faust, but oh well

All in all, it was fine imo. The character interactions and povs were the best part of the book after getting around the extended fight scenes. It was kind of cool to hear the characters' thoughts knowing that they were technically canon, and I actually give props to MG and the writer for having the thoughts fit pretty well with the characters we see in s6. 

• Love 5

I roll my eyes at Sara planting the idea but at least that was before Earth X. Someone needs to sit Lance down and tell him how evil "he" was on another Earth. 

Edited by tarotx
  • Love 3
44 minutes ago, way2interested said:

Okie dokie, so I read the book and I kind of share similar thoughts as that review. To be fair, I liked the Flarrow books a bit better (mostly because they had a story, while this was just kind of there), but I thought this was fine and framed each of the characters in a nice way, giving each character a section in their pov as well as some sort of set up for a plot going forward.

Thanks for sharing this. The book blurb on Amazon focused on Sara and Dinah, so I was scratching my head there. 

13 minutes ago, SmallScreenDiva said:

Thanks for sharing this. The book blurb on Amazon focused on Sara and Dinah, so I was scratching my head there. 

Yeah, it's weird. Dinah still does get a bunch of stuff and pov, but it's mostly because a bunch of the fight scenes were hers, while Oliver, Diggle, and Felicity had more introspection moments, and Sara's literally just a supporting character. Weird last minute switch in the blurb there.

• Love 1
11 hours ago, apinknightmare said:

I think he's talking about people getting angry about the Canadian national anthem getting changed to be gender neutral.

I'm angry about that myself.  They couldn't figure out better words than "In all of us command"?

I didn’t think it was possible for me to dislike and want the newbies off the show anymore than I already do, but that video really did the trick.  Thanks Echo and Rick! 

RG really doesn’t seem to handle any critique well and, as I’ve said before, if cast members have a problem with audience response to the story they need to take it up with the EP’s and writers, not the fans.

Edited by kes0704
  • Love 22
1 hour ago, jaye.elle said:

Brandon was great. He even tweeted about the Olicity date and said how much he and his wife loved it. He seems like such an awesome guy - I always felt bad that he got so much hate. Same with Carly Pope (Susan) - not a fan of the character, but her interactions online were fine and not petty.

Rick is really losing me. I'm wondering if they were out on the town / a bit tipsy? Seems very stupid to do.

He is getting his due now as Ray on LOT where many people really enjoy him and his wife is also fine as grown up Nora Darhk and seems to be getting some work outside of that as well.

• Love 3