Type keyword(s) to search

Social Media and Behind the Scenes: AKA Everything Else Not "News and Media"

Zalyn
  • Start Topic

It's almost laughable at this point, honestly. Even in the most recent post featuring Thea on the official Arrow FB page, the comments section turned into an Olicity/Felicity hate-fest. I just keep telling myself that hate is better than apathy. Heck, all the Laurel hate in the first 2 seasons earned her a mask, so we'll see.

It's almost laughable at this point, honestly. Even in the most recent post featuring Thea on the official Arrow FB page, the comments section turned into an Olicity/Felicity hate-fest. I just keep telling myself that hate is better than apathy. Heck, all the Laurel hate in the first 2 seasons earned her a mask, so we'll see.

It really didn't earn her a mask. That's a separate issue. But I disagree, apathy is definitely better.

• Love 1

At this point I don't think the hate matters to the producers anyway. They love Felicity and EBR so much that nothing anyone can say about her or her and Oliver will make a difference to them.

Know why that is? Because they have data (that none of us will ever see) that shows them that the audience generally likes Felicity and Oliver and Felicity. 

• Love 11

Yeah, probably. I'm someone who doesn't really fit into any group it seems like with regard to this pairing. I loved Felicity on her own and I love her as a character on the show and on the team. I don't love O/F because I don't think SA has ever had any chemistry with any actress he's ever been paired with, including her. But that's not on her, it's on him. He's inherently wooden and all of his romantic scenes with anyone have ALL been bad, imo. So, spending a lot of time on him and any of his relationships is a weakness for me, but it's not specifically an Oliver and Felicity issue- it's Oliver and anyone. And unfortunately Felicity has now become the one they've had to spend the most time on, so yeah- I think it weighed the show down (certainly not the only thing though- pretty much every storyline sucked last season).

But I loved Felicity as the quirky nerdy team member a lot. She really did bring life to the show.

Edited by Ruby25
  • Love 1

I loved Felicity when she was a quirky nerdy team member and I love Felicity as she is now, a strong, confident, complex woman who is much more than that 'quirky nerdy team member' that people constantly want to reduce her to. 

What makes her complex? 

Felicity is a strong confident woman who doesn't need a man, but wants to spend her life with one because she wants that closeness with someone. She wants to be loved and be in love. Felicity is morally grey yet usually is the moral compass of the team. Felicity is bright and has a sunny demeanor but when life kicks her down it isn't always like that. Felicity can be quite clinical but at times she can be erratic (especially when backed up against the wall). But what's so amazing about Felicity? Even though she's hurting like hell, she still puts herself second. She still has the strength to help everyone else before she helps herself. And when she IS being selfish for once? She makes it count. 

Felicity is STILL quirky and nerdy and it annoys me to death how people say she isn't like this anymore. Because she IS. But she's a lot of other things now too. She's more of a round character and I can't wait till the show gives her more of her own story line because that's just something that I'm sure will further flesh out her character in a compelling way. 

But hey, that's just my opinion. As the saying goes, if you don't love a person when they're at their lowest/worst point, then you don't deserve to love them at their best. And I think we can all agree that S3 was Felicity's lowest point as a character because bad.things.wouldn't.stop.happening.to.her.

Edited by wonderwall
  • Love 21

Nothing bad happened to Felicity more than anyone else.

What @apinknightmare said. Also a little more beyond that, I don't think Felicity has gone through as much as she did this season than she has in previous seasons, which is also why she sort of lost her sunny demeanor this season. There was no reason to joke, no reason to make light of the situation, no reason to be bright and whatnot. Felicity reacted accordingly.

And no where in my post did I compare her reaction to other people's reactions this season. Nowhere in my post did I say others didn't suffer either. Nowhere in my post did I bring anyone else into this discussion. So please, don't make this about other people when we're only talking about Felicity. 

• Love 7

Fair. I'd argue that nothing bad happened to her either. It was everything around her.

Ok minus Sara

And that Olicity doesn't necessarily get the most clicks.

Her boyfriend for whose death she blamed herself for 5 years turned out to alive and tried to kill her and her mother and she thought Oliver was dead.That affected her directly too.

• Love 1

Fair. I'd argue that nothing bad happened to her either. It was everything around her.

I'm going to say that her ex-boyfriend, who she thought was dead (because of her), "comes back from the dead" to use her own virus to attack the city, and kidnaps her and her mother, is a pretty bad thing. 

She thought she was starting a relationship with the guy she has feelings for. He got scared and ended it. And then continued to tell her that he wants to be with her, but that he just can't. 

And then this guy also dies and comes back from the dead, and (to her knowledge), attempts to kill her. 

Bad things happened to her this season. And it was pretty damn emotional stuff too. 

• Love 7

Ok minus Sara

And that Olicity doesn't necessarily get the most clicks.

1. Oliver died twice - Felicity loves Oliver a great deal. Of course you'd be sad/mourn a death of a loved one

2. Sara died - Felicity cared about her (regardless of how much). Another death of a loved one

3. Cooper came back from the dead. A man she loved very much, a man who was the reason for her transformation, became evil and used her technology against her which is quite stressful

4. Ray almost dying - another loved one - very stressful

5. Oliver having a death wish 99% of the time - again, very stressful and it can make people very emotional when loved ones are like that

6. Malcolm just being around - obviously makes Felicity very angry - no reason to smile

7. Felicity had NO ONE to talk to about all of her issues. Not even Ray who was in the dark about Felicity's nightly activities until way later in the game. Therefore she had to deal with all of the bad things that were happening around her by herself --> crying. 

Just because bad things happened around Felicity doesn't mean it didn't affect her. I'd argue that sometimes bad things happening to loved ones are worse fates than bad things happening to you. At least in Felicity's case it most probably does. This is a woman who'd rather Oliver not kill to save her just so he could keep his vow to Tommy in tact. 

And you're probably right. Olicity probably doesn't necessarily get the most clicks, but there's a reason why it gets the amount of media coverage it's gotten so far (and you can't deny it's one of the most talked about aspects of the show). With Olicity being one of the most talked about aspect of the show, it isn't a far leap to come to the conclusion that it's one of the aspects of the show that gets the most clicks. Otherwise what's the point in running Olicity articles? 

Edited by wonderwall
  • Love 11

1. Oliver died twice - Felicity loves Oliver a great deal. Of course you'd be sad/mourn a death of a loved one

2. Sara died - Felicity cared about her (regardless of how much). Another death of a loved one

3. Cooper came back from the dead. A man she loved very much, a man who was the reason for her transformation, became evil and used her technology against her which is quite stressful

4. Ray almost dying - another loved one - very stressful

5. Oliver having a death wish 99% of the time - again, very stressful and it can make people very emotional when loved ones are like that

6. Malcolm just being around - obviously makes Felicity very angry - no reason to smile

7. Felicity had NO ONE to talk to about all of her issues. Not even Ray who was in the dark about Felicity's nightly activities until way later in the game. Therefore she had to deal with all of the bad things that were happening around her by herself --> crying. 

8. She had very little bonding time with Diggle. That would make anyone sad.

BTW, I love your number 6. :)

• Love 5

I look at it as "were there good things to balance the bad?"  You can survive a lot of bad with the support of people you love.

For example Diggle had Lyla and Sara so even though the stuff around Oliver was tough, he could go home to people who loved him and forget the bad stuff with them in his arms.

Thea had a huge list of sadness in previous seasons but in s3, nothing that bad happened till she found out that Malcolm had brainwashed her into killing Sara.  She had her biodad, she had her brother (didn't know what Ra's was doing or that Oliver was "dead" over the winter), and she had her club and her friendship with Roy.  Sure Malcolm told her that Ra's was after them but she didn't really believe it till Chase tried to kill her.

Laurel lost Sara, and that was awful, but she had her mother, her father (until he figured out she was lying to him) and her job.  Maybe her invisible friends like Joanna.

Roy had lost Thea as a lover but he still had Team Arrow and Thea as a friend.

For Felicity, everything happened this season.  The man she loved told her he loved her but couldn't be with her and then he went off to die.  One of the two female friends she had died horribly and Oliver shut himself off from her to die in the lair.  She had a shit job waiting for Oliver to regain his company and then he told her he wasn't going to.  Her old boyfriend came back from the dead and tried to kill her.  Diggle stopped being her friend to be all Team Oliver.

Really, the only bright spots this season for Felicity were her job at PT (although I suspect she would rather have been Oliver's EA), her relationship with Ray (yuck) and the fact that she made peace with her mother.

• Love 2

I look at it as "were there good things to balance the bad?"  You can survive a lot of bad with the support of people you love.

For example Diggle had Lyla and Sara so even though the stuff around Oliver was tough, he could go home to people who loved him and forget the bad stuff with them in his arms.

Thea had a huge list of sadness in previous seasons but in s3, nothing that bad happened till she found out that Malcolm had brainwashed her into killing Sara.  She had her biodad, she had her brother (didn't know what Ra's was doing or that Oliver was "dead" over the winter), and she had her club and her friendship with Roy.  Sure Malcolm told her that Ra's was after them but she didn't really believe it till Chase tried to kill her.

Laurel lost Sara, and that was awful, but she had her mother, her father (until he figured out she was lying to him) and her job.  Maybe her invisible friends like Joanna.

Roy had lost Thea as a lover but he still had Team Arrow and Thea as a friend.

For Felicity, everything happened this season.  The man she loved told her he loved her but couldn't be with her and then he went off to die.  One of the two female friends she had died horribly and Oliver shut himself off from her to die in the lair.  She had a shit job waiting for Oliver to regain his company and then he told her he wasn't going to.  Her old boyfriend came back from the dead and tried to kill her.  Diggle stopped being her friend to be all Team Oliver.

Really, the only bright spots this season for Felicity were her job at PT (although I suspect she would rather have been Oliver's EA), her relationship with Ray (yuck) and the fact that she made peace with her mother.

Lol don't forget getting sexy times with Oliver and then him telling her he's all in to be with her and wanted her to join him out of town where they have been two loveable idiots in love lol

Recap of KL and KY's panel at MCM Ireland Comic Con on August 29/30, 2015 -- here are the Arrow-related, nonspoilery quotes (I've put the spoilery quotes in the Spoilers thread; I didn't quote the parts about KL wanting to guest star on Agent Carter, their comments on SA's WWE match, or her comments about Spartacus)...

It is as pleasurable to work with Stephen Amell as it is to watch him on TV?
Katrina: “With or without his shirt on?”
Karl: “Yeah, you know I had some pretty intense scenes with him. He tries to keep it very light and fun when those times come. So yeah, for me it was pleasurable.”
Katrina: “I had a great time – it was actually a scene Karl and I had together – during the season three mid-season finale with Oliver Queen and my father fighting up on a mountaintop. It was snowing. For the most part Karl and I just had to kind of stand there. But it was lovely watching these two men fighting for, like, 12 hours in the snow. It was a good day for me.”
What’s with the hat?
Karl: “It’s the Demon’s Head. That’s how desperately she wants to be the Demon’s Head, the leader of the League Of Assassins.”

Is there anybody else on the show you particularly liked working with, present company excepted?
Katrina: “Nice save. I think professional-wise Katie Cassidy [Laurel Lance] is one of my favourites. She is so very talented, absolutely stunning and she knows all her lines, she’s done her homework. A lot of times an actor will just show up and feel out a scene. It’s a perfectly legit way of doing things but it takes more time. And I think she and I have a really good chemistry.
“Just in general – John Barrowman. He’s just so much fun. He’s constantly geeking off and doing something inappropriate. He makes the day go by quicker.”

What were your favourite episodes as actors from season three?
Karl: “There was one with an explosion when they blew up the Alpha-Omega. That was a real explosion that shot up like ten storeys in the air. So that was exciting. The fight in the mid-season finale, that was exciting to see. Matt Nable (Ra’s Al Ghul) and Stephen fighting almost naked in the snow, while we’re all toasty and warm with our hot packs.”
Katrina: “It was glorious! I think acting-wise, my favourite episode was probably my very first episode where my character was introduced. I really enjoyed working with Katie lots and Wendey Stanzler, who was the director on that episode, was so beautiful. Because what I had auditioned with and what the character was on the page and the what ended up becoming the actual screen version of Nyssa were three completely separate things. So it was really wonderful to have two strong females helping guide me as an actor to find the character.”
Were there any action scenes that were particularly gruelling?
Katrina: “I think mine was… was it the season finale? I’m getting lost. You know, when we’re on that cargo plane, and they actually built the plane on hydraulics. So the entire time it was actually, like, moving. I was supposed to look totally awesome and complete bad-ass but I couldn’t stop falling over and running into Stephen or my dad. Plus I’m trying to do the fight scene with five or six guys. They’re all coming towards me and the hydraulics are going and the crew was saying, ‘We’re going to throw the sword at you and you need to catch it.’ And I cannot catch to save my life. So that took about 20 takes before I actually got it.”

Do you wish your characters had superpowers?
Katrina: “Isn’t the thing about Arrow that he doesn’t have superpowers so he always has to outsmart people? Although I think it would be funny if he was somehow instilled with a superpower one day and didn’t know what to do with it and was out of control.”
With so much action on the show, does anyone ever get injured?
Karl: “Yeah, absolutely. People get injuries all the time. I have a tendency to want to feel the impact – feel the ground hit – because it helps me as an actor to get into the moment. But you have to be careful.”

Could you see Supergirl crossing over into Arrow?
Katrina: “I’m so excited about Supergirl it’s ridiculous. On a personal level I would have loved to have had a strong female superhero to look up to as a child, who wasn’t playing second fiddle to a man. Doing her own thing. So I’m excited that there’s a new generation of young girls who’ll have this powerful female figure to look up to. I would love to see her crossover – it would be so much fun.”

What are the most fun scenes to film?
Karl: “Any time we’re shooting automatic weapons I’m having fun.”
Katrina: “I’m sticking to the two men fighting naked on a mountaintop.”

Arrow’s Karl Yune & Katrina Law MCM Ireland Panel Highlights
POSTED BY DAVE GOLDER ON SEPTEMBER 9, 2015 AT 2:23 PM
http://www.mcmbuzz.com/2015/09/09/arrows-karl-yune-katrina-law-mcm-ireland-panel-highlights/

Arrow_Karl_Yune_Katrina_Law_MCM_Ireland_

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1

I think acting-wise, my favourite episode was probably my very first episode where my character was introduced. I really enjoyed working with Katie lots and Wendey Stanzler, who was the director on that episode, was so beautiful.

I think she meant Caity Lotz. She didn't work with Katie Cassidy in her first episode.

• Love 3

EBR posted the pic of Willa at the photoshoot.

Very good reason why I need to start following EBR on Instagram.

Thanks for spelling it out. Just looking at the image of Willa and the links didn't give that away. Hopefulness just went up a notch.

• Love 2

Per Instagram the picture was posted sometime around ten, ten thirty west coast time. What's the likelihood that she was still on set when she posted? Long day? Crossover on LoT? I know they share the same lot but...maybe?

Per Instagram the picture was posted sometime around ten, ten thirty west coast time. What's the likelihood that she was still on set when she posted? Long day? Crossover on LoT? I know they share the same lot but...maybe?

That's from the photoshoot

I don't know if this is the right place to post this, but I saw Paul Blackthorne's panel at Baltimore Comic-Con on Saturday. I saw other folks taking video so probably it will be up on Youtube soon if it isn't already. He was very charming and funny; there was a hilarious moment where a rather young viewer asked him who his favorite villain on the show was, and while he first went through the usual list of big-bads (Merlyn, Deathstroke, Ra's) he started to digress on how hot Jessica DeGouw as the Huntress looked handcuffed during an interrogation scene... then remembered the quetion he was answering was to about a 10 year old, and quickly reversed his answer to "Deathstroke!" ;)

He remarked in general that he enjoyed Lance family scenes, and he was enjoying working on his evolving/changing relationship with Ollie. He was very careful to not give spoilers for Season 4, but alluded that there was a scene worth watching out for in ep 4 or 5.

Katie Cassidy also came to ComicCon on Sunday, but I only went for Saturday and was sorry to miss her. I hope also some vids of her panel will be up soon.

• Love 6

I don't know if this is the right place to post this, but I saw Paul Blackthorne's panel at Baltimore Comic-Con on Saturday. I saw other folks taking video so probably it will be up on Youtube soon if it isn't already. He was very charming and funny; there was a hilarious moment where a rather young viewer asked him who his favorite villain on the show was, and while he first went through the usual list of big-bads (Merlyn, Deathstroke, Ra's) he started to digress on how hot Jessica DeGouw as the Huntress looked handcuffed during an interrogation scene... then remembered the quetion he was answering was to about a 10 year old, and quickly reversed his answer to "Deathstroke!" ;)

He remarked in general that he enjoyed Lance family scenes, and he was enjoying working on his evolving/changing relationship with Ollie. He was very careful to not give spoilers for Season 4, but alluded that there was a scene worth watching out for in ep 4 or 5.

Katie Cassidy also came to ComicCon on Sunday, but I only went for Saturday and was sorry to miss her. I hope also some vids of her panel will be up soon.

That's really cool! I've always liked Paul Paul Blackthorne. Glad you got to see him and sorry you had to miss KC. I don't think there will be any videos of her panel though because she doesn't allow it at her panels

• Love 1

This is like a 2-second video clip of KC's intro at Baltimore Comic Con on Sep. 27, 2015...

Katie Cassidy Attends Baltimore Comic Con
http://www.beautifulballad.org/2015/09/27/katie-cassidy-attends-baltimore-comic-con/

JB panel at Salt Lake Comic Con (Sep. 24-26, 2015)...

John Barrowman - Full Panel/Q&A - Salt Lake ComicCon 2015
Published on Sep 27, 2015, by Ammaross Danan

BR panel at Rose City Comic Con (Sep. 19-20, 2015), talking about Superman, Ray Palmer/the Atom, Daniel Shaw, and other things...

Brandon Routh at Rose City Comic Con 2015 (Full Panel)
Published on Sep 27, 2015, by Rose City Comic Con

Edited by tv echo

Tidbits from PB's panel at Baltimore Comic Con on Sep. 26 (tweeted by FilmFad)...

@baltimorecomics About to start the @PaulBlackthorne panel and get details on #Arrow #ArrowSeason4 #BaltimoreComicCon
@PaulBlackthorne just said @Team_Barrowman texted "Can't wait to do a scene with you with my balls out..." #BCC2015 #Arrow #ArrowSeason4
@PaulBlackthorne says there's more comradery between Oliver and Det. Lance in #ArrowSeason4 #Arrow #CW #BCC2015 #CWTV #CW2015 #GreenArrow
@PaulBlackthorne says if he didn't play Det. Lance on #Arrow he would want to play #MalcomMerlin @Team_Barrowman #BCC2015 #ArrowSeason4
@PaulBlackthorne says he had a  major crush on #Huntress and #Cupid from #Arrow #arrowpanel #BCC2015 #PaulBlackthorne

https://twitter.com/FilmFad/with_replies

CP16fNeUcAEOe-s.jpg

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1

PB saying that he had a crush on Cupid or Huntress isn't that surprising considering, basically every other female on the show is either his daughter, is in a relationship with his daughter, or was jail bait when they started like Thea. I guess McKenna could have been an exception, but similar to FS - I feel like PB tends to respond to them in a fatherly manner even if the role is not fatherly. We know that he is outwardly flirty with CR, so maybe PB is just a flirty guy with crushes on beautiful (perhaps slightly off-kilter) women characters that don't play members of his extended family. MQ, Waller & his ex all seem to be intimidating female powerhouses, so maybe that's not as crush worthy as beautiful women in tight clothing.

Maya Mani talks costume designs for the new GA suit and Felicity's CEO look...

COSTUME SECRETS FROM THE UPCOMING SEASONS OF 'REIGN,' 'THE GOOD WIFE' AND MORE
Plus, teasers from 'Arrow' and 'The Flash' designer on her superhero costumes 2.0.

FAWNIA SOO HOO  AN HOUR AGO
http://fashionista.com/2015/09/fall-tv-costume-design-october

In season four, Oliver Queen debuts a brand new Arrow suit, which fans might appreciate for showcasing Steven Amell's sculpted guns. Interestingly, costume — or supersuit — designer Maya Mani had already finished the Arrow 2.0 costume before the season three finale and it had full sleeves (it's cold shooting in Vancouver). But Executive Producer Greg Berlanti and Amell convinced her to try a bicep-baring look more reflective of the Green Arrow comic. "I wanted it to be tactical, so the shoulders are a little tougher," she explained. "I also wanted him to be able to remove a layer or be in the layer and still be the Arrow, but not have the full fig on."

In the meantime, Arrow's now-official girlfriend Felicity Smoak will be upgrading to CEO outfits since Ray Palmer literally jetted on over to "Legends of Tomorrow." But don't expect to see her in Brooks Brothers or anything. "We still want to maintain that sense of fun," said Mani of elevating Felicity's look, but avoiding a "hard edged suit." She will continue to wear a high-low mix of H&M, Topshop, Sandro and Victoria Beckham. We'll also get a peek at Felicity's personal style outside of the corner office (and the Arrow lair). "Now that we see her in her home, we have more opportunity to show a casual side of her, which in the past we haven’t had a chance to do," said Mani.

• Love 2

Well everything FS has been wearing in the s4 promos has been amazing! So I might not agree with the sleeveless Arrow outfit, however, I do think he can always layer like she mentions - so fingers crossed. But I do appreciate Mani's taste in upgrading FS wardrobe, she is killing it so far.