Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E02: Hello, Emma

The death of another teen raises questions and leads to a rift between Emma and Audrey. A podcaster arrives in town to report on the past and present murders.

Trailer for the season:

A podcaster? Sounds like we're getting this series' version of Gale Weathers! 

Also, speculation, but I expect the next death to be 

the blonde lesbian (whose name I'm forgetting and now I sound like a real a-hole for simply calling her "blonde lesbian"). The trailers seem to indicate that she's the one thrown off the balcony and hanged by the killer.

If that's the case, I could see it causing a rift between Emmy and Audrey. 

• Love 2

Did we know the killer's mask was a Brandon James mask? Also: they made Brandon James masks?!?

Noah and Riley are so adorable together. They kind of remind me of Cal and Chloe from Harper's Island. There's no way this is going to end well, and I am going to end up very sad, aren't I?

• Love 1

I'm liking some of the nods to the trends of today. The .GIF of the Killer in front of Nina's floating dead body was a nice touch. Good for him. 

The actress playing Piper is surprisingly terrible. I thought she sounded more stilted than most of the boys, which is pretty sad. I did like, however, that she's basically running Lakewood's version of NPR's Serial podcast. 

I have a feeling that it will be neither Riley nor Brooke who die next week, at least I hope not. I like them both!

I find it interesting that they're name dropping social media sites, yet they used totally not YouTube and Twitter ones in pilot. Also interesting, the killer dragged Rachel's body back inside just to hang it from the ceiling fan. All that seemed to do is tip off the police that it wasn't a suicide. Unless that was the plan.

(edited)

I'm liking some of the nods to the trends of today. The .GIF of the Killer in front of Nina's floating dead body was a nice touch. Good for him. 

The actress playing Piper is surprisingly terrible. I thought she sounded more stilted than the most of the boys, which is pretty sad. I did like, however, that she's basically running Lakewood's version of NPR's Serial podcast. 

I have a feeling that it will be neither Riley nor Brooke who die next week, at least I hope not. I like them both!

I think she sounded stilted because it's an imitation of Koening's speaking style. SNL did it better.

My problem is that I'm not interested in Emma, and it's not scary enough.

Edited by portfino

Oh last week episode where Noah had the red stuff on his head makes sense that must have happened after he painted the guy's car

Wow, I cannot believe I didn't make the connection until you just spelled it out like that.

• Love 3
(edited)

Wow, I cannot believe I didn't make the connection until you just spelled it out like that.

after the first episode i thought it was pointing to him being one of the killers especially with his creepy fascination in serial killers and in real life a guy like him would probably fit the part but then i remember the movies had a guy who was just like his character.

Edited by TonyMicheaux

My problem is that I'm not interested in Emma, and it's not scary enough.

I don't know that I'd say I'm interested in Emma, but to be honest, I think her scenes with Audrey are the only ones I actually feel any connection to. Probably because there's actual emotions there and a history, as opposed to Noah/Riley just getting together and her more superficial interactions with Riley and Brooke. I'm interested in seeing how that dynamic plays out, but not so much in how any of her other relationships go, espeically the ones with either boys.

And I think/hope it'll get scarier as it goes. Most thriller shows like this tend to start out slow to try to build the suspense and characters, I just hope that when they do get to the scarier stuff, they can deliever.

• Love 1

I don't dislike Emma, but right now she's inoffensive. That's not a compliment. She's not quite boring -- I liked that she didn't immediately forgive her sweet-talking boyfriend like a true doormat would -- but she's verging on it. She's too nice, too understanding, always knows the right thing to say. Her biggest fault is that she didn't stop her scary friend from doing something bad. Like colorbars, I've only really been interested in Emma's scenes with Audrey so far, and I think that's mostly because of Audrey.

I still like Noah and Riley, too (although I don't entirely trust Riley), but everyone else can die as far as I care.

• Love 5

Emma is the main character mainly because her mother was the love interest of Brandon James all those years ago and her father was the sole survivor of him. She knows about her father but not her mother.

I think there is a conspiracy with the original Brandon James crime which explains why her parents aren't together anymore. Like things didn't quite happen the way the story goes. They never do.

• Love 1

I'm liking some of the nods to the trends of today. The .GIF of the Killer in front of Nina's floating dead body was a nice touch.

It really grated that they kept pronouncing "GIF" with a hard G. Is that a California thing (like saying "tore" when they mean "tour")?

It really grated that they kept pronouncing "GIF" with a hard G. Is that a California thing (like saying "tore" when they mean "tour")?

Not just a California thing; it's a fairly widespread split. (Personally, I dislike the soft G pronunciation.)

Thank goodness it wasn't just me that was bothered me.  I had always pronounced it w/the soft-G, some other show i've watched had the same thing where characters debated the correct way to pronounce it.

I know this is just a tv series, but would the Noah character not really see how his monologues about the killer/killings would make him look like the number one suspect to his fellow classmates who would in turn point him towards the cops as we saw in this episode.  No way the cops wouldn't have him in the top five of the suspects here.

I really found it hard to believe that Riley had access to turn off the stadium lights, ugh frickin' television contrivances.

Do we know for sure that Nina's boyfriend, Tyler, actually is dead?  I only say this b/c the head thrown into the hot-tub didn't look like him at all.

So it really was Seth in the alley to scare Emma?  They are so vague in their juxtaposition that yes, we know Seth convinced Will to fake the text message, but it makes you wonder if Seth was in the alley.

I did love that Noah covered his tracks by spelling "douche" wrong on the truck, I just wish he would have used spray paint instead of those chalk pens.

(edited)

I'm hooked on this show. I can't help myself! 

I realize the characterization on this show isn't exactly stellar overall, but I kind of love both Audrey and Noah. 

I'd totally be fine with Emma being the next victim. I don't hate her, but she's just so generic and...*yawn* Plus, it would pass for a semi-surprising twist! 

Edited by amensisterfriend
  • Love 2

The creator says "JIF" but the Oxford English Dictionary says both pronunciations are acceptable.

I dd like Emma's "dueling pistols" comment.  She should dump both of them.

• Love 1
(edited)

The best thing about this show are without question the insane strings that start whenever Noah is monologuing.

This show feels so completely lukewarm. I think that's mostly to keep us in the dark as to who the killer is but it also makes connecting with the characters incredibly hard. I guess we know Emma isn't one of the killers, she's just a bland narcissist. I'm sorry, I get her guilt, but to say that she takes complete blame for Matt Dallas' little sister's suicide (I need to learn more names) is so utterly Mary Sue that I just can't excuse it.

Whenever I see the student and the teacher together all I can think is "You're both 30! Come on!" 

There needs to be more pop to the murders. So far they're really run of the mill. Have some fun! Tatum's murder in Scream was brutal and creative! Kill more innocent high schoolers in fun ways!

Edited by JessePinkman
  • Love 3

There needs to be more pop to the murders. So far they're really run of the mill. Have some fun! Tatum's murder in Scream was brutal and creative! Kill more innocent high schoolers in fun ways!

I agree. Nina's death felt the most Scream-like, and I think that's simply because the Killer did it with a knife. Tyler's death was off-screen and throwing someone's decapitated head into a hot tub seems almost mundane. The same goes for tossing Rachel off a balcony with a noose around her neck. Snore! 

The victims also need to put up more of a fight (or at least make a valiant effort to get away) to keep it fun. Off the top of my head, Cici (Scream 2) and Sarah and Jennifer (Scream 3) were fun death scenes, mostly because those characters either got in a few good punches (or one-liners) before dying or because they almost got away. Here, if the Killer shows up, the character is dead in less than 10 seconds. The Killer can be good at what he does, but he shouldn't be infallible. 

• Love 2

Did we know the killer's mask was a Brandon James mask? Also: they made Brandon James masks?!?

I think it's a replica/recreation of the mask Brandon James wore cause his face was disfigured? More of a Michael Myers thing than a Ghostface thing.

Emma looks so much like Jennifer Garner that it's a little distracting.

I'm way more distracted by Brooke's eyebrows.

Emma is the main character mainly because her mother was the love interest of Brandon James all those years ago and her father was the sole survivor of him. She knows about her father but not her mother.

It's weird to me that her father was involved with the murders and no one puts together that her mom was "Daisy". I'm glad they cleared up who her dad is this episode, I was confused last episode. I thought her dad was Brandon James' brother. But this clears the way for the killer to be the brother or (more likely) a nephew.

I think there is a conspiracy with the original Brandon James crime which explains why her parents aren't together anymore. Like things didn't quite happen the way the story goes. They never do.

I'm definitely with you there. Maybe Emma isn't really Kevin Duvall's kid? Maybe she's Brandon James' daughter?? Oh, and maybe the killer is a relative of one of the victims? Hmmm. Now I'm getting invested with theories.

The creator says "JIF" but the Oxford English Dictionary says both pronunciations are acceptable.

This drives me nuts, cause the creator is clearly an idiot. The G in gif stands for Graphics. Hence, hard G sound.

I agree. Nina's death felt the most Scream-like, and I think that's simply because the Killer did it with a knife. Tyler's death was off-screen and throwing someone's decapitated head into a hot tub seems almost mundane. The same goes for tossing Rachel off a balcony with a noose around her neck. Snore! 

The victims also need to put up more of a fight (or at least make a valiant effort to get away) to keep it fun. Off the top of my head, Cici (Scream 2) and Sarah and Jennifer (Scream 3) were fun death scenes, mostly because those characters either got in a few good punches (or one-liners) before dying or because they almost got away. Here, if the Killer shows up, the character is dead in less than 10 seconds. The Killer can be good at what he does, but he shouldn't be infallible.

I'm 100% in agreement. I didn't even think Nina's death was that interesting. And pretty disappointing in the gore factor. I mean, do you remember how many times Drew Barrymore was stabbed in the first one? And then she kept trying to get away! This show severely needs to up its game.

• Love 2
I'm definitely with you there. Maybe Emma isn't really Kevin Duvall's kid? Maybe she's Brandon James' daughter?? Oh, and maybe the killer is a relative of one of the victims? Hmmm. Now I'm getting invested with theories.

I am thinking more likely that "Daisy" actually didn't freak out when Brandon James pulled of the mask because his face wasn't Elephant mannish and Daisy was talking to him like a person and her her the her boyfriend/Emma's father jumped him which sent Brandon James into a fracas.    There is going to be parallels between Daisy and what the hell is his name being and ass and Emma and her asshole boyfriend.  

• Love 1

I'm 100% in agreement. I didn't even think Nina's death was that interesting. And pretty disappointing in the gore factor. I mean, do you remember how many times Drew Barrymore was stabbed in the first one? And then she kept trying to get away! This show severely needs to up its game.

Also, Jada Pinkett Smith in #2 and Marnie Cooper in #4.  

I've just watched the original movie, and there was more energy to it. I loved Tatum lobbing those bottles at Ghostface. Those attacked so far, haven't had a chance to fight back.

• Love 2

I definitely thought the caller referring to her as Emma's "whore of a mother" made me think there's some kind of romantic/sexual history/betrayal there, whether it's with the killer or someone related to them,

• Love 1

jada had the classic stabbed to death in the theatre and nobody thought it was real correct ?

Yeah, they thought it was part of a theater thing for the first Stab movie.

I wonder if those movies exist in the show's universe.

• Love 1

I wonder if those movies exist in the show's universe.

I really hope they do. That's kind of all I want out of this show, just a sign that it at least takes place in the same universe. Oh and "Red Right Hand" on the soundtrack.

• Love 2
(edited)

Yep, until one girl noticed real blood on her arm and went "wait a minute!"  Jada, after being stabbed about 5 or 6 times, climbed up to a stage in front of the screen (as if to say "This is what you are celebrating!"), screamed (ya know, cuz title) and died.

The only other black woman to die (that I recall) was Elise Neal in Scream 2 -- she was stabbed once in the shoulder (while wearing a bulky jacket) and fell down.  Booooooooooooooooooring!

Edited by jhlipton

The creator says "JIF" but the Oxford English Dictionary says both pronunciations are acceptable.

Dictionaries don't tell you what's acceptable; they reflect what people are doing. When enough people don't pay attention to how something is already being pronounced and a different way becomes common enough, that gets added to the dictionaries. The same thing happened with "q pon" as a way to pronounce "coupon".

Dictionaries don't tell you what's acceptable; they reflect what people are doing. 

You might be right about Merriam-Webster and the like, but the OED doesn't really work that way.  A word (or a pronunciation) must be in wide-spread use (ie, acceptable to the general public) before it's allowed into the sacred vaults of the premiere dictionary.  

I agree that the movies are better-but the movies are also rated R and can go farther. This is on MTV. It's a series for teens/kids. It's on basic cable. So I can see how they can't take it to where they could potentially go because they have to try to keep it semi-appropriate. I sort of wish they had done this on FX or even HBO so that they could take it to a darker, more interesting place. Or at least have it be on part with the movies on some level.

With that said, I agree that they could be bringing more creativity and fun to these murders and not have it be so "easy."

• Love 2

Yeah I hope they avoid pure gore. AHS's last season was exceptionally gory and absolutely terrible. They have plenty of people left to kill (and it seems they're going to stretch out the murders, or at least the public's awareness of multiple homicides) so maybe they'll amp up the theatrics.

They REALLY need to work on the characterizations, whether my favorite character gets killed or ends up being the murderer I want to HAVE a favorite characters. Right now I don't care about any of them. Even though Riley and Noah are very sweet.

Emma looks so much like Jennifer Garner that it's a little distracting.

YES! I was trying to figure out why her face bugged me so much. 

I like Noah and his monologues. He is probably the best reference to the movie but different enough from Randy to still be interesting. Other than that I could barely tell you who anyone else is. That is a huge failure at this point. You'd think a series would allow for enough time for characterization. Instead they keep hitting us over the head with Brandon James. We get it. There was a massacre of high school students 20 years ago. But that doesn't help me care about who gets killed now.

You'd think a series would allow for enough time for characterization. 

Check out Sense8 on Netflix.  It is one of my favorite shows because it leans more toward characterization than plot.

I agree about Noah being the best character so far but I actually like Audrey a lot as well. And Riley is fairly likable to me, too...granted, I still couldn't possibly care less about any of the non-Noah males and am lukewarm on Emma, but given that we've only had two episodes, I don't think the characterization is all that abysmal. Maybe it's because my expectations of this show are just comfortably low :)  

This show is terrible, but I'm too big a Scream fan not to follow through. After Scream 4 successfully introduced a new, young ensemble, I had high hopes for this show. That movie also used technology in a way that was fun and modern, but not overbearing like this show. I'm absolutely speechless at the level of acting on this show. I'd say the entire cast, including the parents were so poorly cast. Either they can't act or they're bland and forgettable. Then we have the writing. This Brandon James backstory is boring and seems more out of Friday the 13th than Scream. The mask and new voice of Ghostface only help to make the show seem cheap. My biggest problem however, are how boring the deaths are. I don't need excesive gore (look at Scream 3 and it's kills were good), but there is no tension, no build up, no scares. It feels incredibly lazy. I don't understand why they didn't just wait and get people involved in the films to help on the series. I wonder how different things would be if Wes Craven at least directed the pilot. I'm sure so many of these problems would've been eliminated with him at the helm.

I don't mind the show so far, I absolutely hate horror movies, films, series...etc..  They scare the living daylights out of me, especially the ones that can be real.  But I kind of enjoy this show, I do wish it was a little more cheeky and funny, but then we have Sream Queens coming on FOX in the fall to vill that void.  As for the episode, eh, I do wish a little more character development (and better acting!!), and yes, Emma is really BLAND as a character.  Her dying in the 1st episode would have made things more fun and unexpected, I guess she's the final girl then.

And I think/hope it'll get scarier as it goes. Most thriller shows like this tend to start out slow to try to build the suspense and characters, I just hope that when they do get to the scarier stuff, they can deliver.

The biggest issue I'm having with the second episode is that its structurally very similar to the pilot.

- murder in the opener

- mundane stiff going on while no one knows

- reaction to death

-a couple incidents that are supposed to have tension like maybe ghostface is lurking but not that suspenseful somewhere in the middle

- Emma gets ghostface phone call.

I hope they are lulling us into a pattern to heighten the tension when they break the pattern.  But I'm just not certain of that.

Ok, so whoever pointed out those killer strings when Noah starts monologuing? Thank you, because now I will always notice and I love it. It gives him a very action'y and dramatic vibe.

I still like Noah and Audrey a lot. I still can't tell who ex doucheface is and who new doucheface is with Emma. I know new doucheface isn't actually a doucheface (yet?) but he looks like one. I'm ok with Riley, but now I'm liking her a little less, but I don't have a reason why. 

I'll say the teacher calling Noah 'Will Graham' had me cracking up.

I liked Emma a little bit more because she actually grabbed something to defend herself with and actually almost used it on ex doucheface. But yeah, Emma has really full lips. They caught my attention when she was starting to cry in the morgue.