Type keyword(s) to search

Maddie, Maddie, Maddie: All Seasons Discussion

Bananna
  • Start Topic

I've watched this show on and off, I watched it through seasons 1-2 regularly and then I've mainly been watching it sporadically since season 4. 

When do you think that Dance Moms jumped the shark? It definitely has now since ALDC LA.

When do you think that Dance Moms jumped the shark? It definitely has now since ALDC LA.

The show has been constantly changing since Season 1 and not for the better - and yet I still watch it! I've gone back and watched various seasons again. In the beginning , though strict and an obvious favoritism towards Maddie, Abby was strict but there were some really nice moments of her having fun with the girls - going out for ice cream ect..

Season 2 - production increased the Maddie favoritism, got the moms complaining more about it and Abby becoming more of a monster. Season 3 - you can see the girls either don't care ex: Brooke or are actually more affected by it - ex. Paige & Chloe.

I still miss the old team and think instead of bring in all these other dancers should have focused more on a younger competition team as these girls got older. I can't believe that Sarah is the only one left at Abby's who has talent. They would have then been able to transition between the 2 teams and maybe keep some viewers - who were wooed by the talent these young kids possessed.  As these girls get older - they look pretty much like every other dancer their age and don't stand out.

• Love 2

I agree with Tessa  sometime around season 2 and 3.  In the beginning you could see the fact that although Abby was hard on the girls there was a relationship and caring between them.  For the life of me I have never understood why we had to endure the Candy Apples stuff and why Abby (or the producers) never thought to create a younger team from ALDC as the girls we knew and loved grew.  Then we could have fallen in love with another crop of girls (maybe a boy as well) from ALDC.  I have watched from the beginning because it's "must see" with my girls but I would have quit long ago if that wasn't the case.  Unlike some people who say it's about the girls dancing I feel it really was supposed to focus on the moms hence the title, Dance Moms.  I am not a fan of the drama but I do like some of the crazy mom moments.  This is possibly because I am a "band mom" and I have some of those moments in real life even though on a normal day I am not an crazy "stage" mom.

This show was ever on the "right" side of the tank full of sharks (the metaphorical ones, I mean, representing when it was worth it vs. not)?  REALLY?  Okay, maybe barely, in a limited sort of way.

Seems to me that some shows are pretty far out there, hanging on the edge of the shark tank, at the very least, from Day 1.  Deciding when they've crossed it is not maybe a case of some big motorcycle leap over it, but just a case of waking up one morning and just realizing that they've always been cheating around the edge of the tank and you've looked closely and finally realized at some unspecified point it started operating from the opposite side of the tank without you having noticed it.

I think it was the day that Abby threw Paige's chair as basically got away with it. She just got worse and worse after that.

• Love 4

For me, it was the lead up to and the actual event of the Kelly/Abby fight, and then Kelly's (and the kids') subsequent departure. Final nail in the coffin was Chloe and Christi leaving. I continued to watch after that, but it never felt the same. 

• Love 8
(edited)

For me, it was the lead up to and the actual event of the Kelly/Abby fight, and then Kelly's (and the kids') subsequent departure. Final nail in the coffin was Chloe and Christi leaving. I continued to watch after that, but it never felt the same.

Ditto. For me, they were behind the boat, picking up speed, approaching the ramp in the lead-up to this series of events. Shark totally jumped with the fight and affiliated events.

Still ashamed I stuck with this trash show until Chloe's departure.

Edited by RealityCowgirl
  • Love 1

Honestly, I think the show jumped shark around the time Abby formed the original new team because the girl's went on strike. Season 3 was a hot mess, Season 4 was probably the most abusive season, and all of Season 5 has been a trainwreck. 

• Love 1

Season 2. The Cathy vs Abby rivalry, the Kendall and Jill scripts, the competition results being edited. The Chloe Maddie rivalry. The makeup the weaves. It just got plan awful.

A place to discuss all seasons up to this point, especially seasons 1-4 or the show in general.  NOT just a general dump for anything about the show. Keep discussion of season 5 eps in their proper thread. Thanks.

I only watch online, so I'm just working my way through S5 now, but what the hell is with the totally obvious overdubbing? Am I only noticing it because I stream it instead of watching on TV?

I don't care if there's a talking head, and they cut away for a second, and the talking head voice over sounds like a comment was inserted obviously. Whatever - talking heads themselves are an "insert" of sorts since they pretend like they are happening real time ("I'm thinking, is Abby even going to show up?") but are filmed after events have actually occurred (so in reality, they already know whether or not Abby showed up).

But I do care when it's at pyramid (the greatest offender) or during any other "real footage" portions of the show. They'll show Abby doing pyramid sounding a certain way, then cut to the girls with a totally different sounding Abby voiceover saying something ridiculous, and then cut back to Abby sounding the same as before.

Does anyone remember an SNL sketch about the Censor 2000, where every time Kevin Nealon said "ass" on a fake drama, a robotic voice would overdub him saying "buttocks"? The overdubbing on DM is seriously almost as bad as that.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=oo5isaiHO4o

I wasn't sure where to ask but hopefully it's ok here. I try to keep up on funny nicknames, pronunciations, etc. on the shows I watch but one I've never figured out is "coshtumes." Does Abby spell or pronounce it that way sometimes?

(edited)

No one on the show has ever spelled it that way; It's just posters poking fun at their pronunciation. Abby and Kelly have been the worst offenders in my memory. I don't remember if any of the other moms did it.

As a native Pittsburgher, I'll add that I don't remember hearing that particular mispronunciation (-st- changing to -sht-) a lot, but I'm also not surprised. Pittsburghese is a very sloppy/mushy vernacular. East Liberty -> Sliberty, for example.

Edited by takalotti
  • Love 1

I was thinking about what could happen if Abby got sent to the slammer. I think I have the perfect replacement - Alyssa Edwards. Alyssa is the "drag mother" of Shangella Laqueefa Wadley of the "post modern pimp" Nia dance. He is also a very talented dance teacher and has this awesome way with kids. He would bring fun drama and camp, while also standing up to the moms.   

• Love 2
On ‎6‎/‎14‎/‎2015 at 8:29 PM, Loves2Dance said:

Honestly, I think the show jumped shark around the time Abby formed the original new team because the girl's went on strike. Season 3 was a hot mess, Season 4 was probably the most abusive season, and all of Season 5 has been a trainwreck. 

Season 3 may have been a "hot mess," but I found it very entertaining; esp. with the additions of new dancers like Ally, Bella, Sofia, & Asia! It was great! It should have taken the DM's off their "high horse" thinking the show was about them and their kids and without them the show would fail and be canceled! Why didn't they just move on? They all just came crawling back and I got a kick out of Abby punishing them for their rash behavior! Season 4 had Abby being a "terror," but she had to be under a lot of stress and sick! Season 5 was a true train wreck, but I couldn't have laughed harder when Abby was on the phone back in the States, supposedly late leaving for Australia due to losing her passport! Like other excuses, something else was going on and she couldn't have gotten a replacement that fast! Abby insulting Joselyn and the other MOMs telling her how to run things had me ROFLOL and would have had me retaliating as well! Who are they? They're all self-indulgent, privileged old broads thinking someone owes them and their kids something! 

I've been watching all the old episodes and this is my take:

1. Each new mom that comes on to the team or mini team - has to defend their daughter's reason for being there - except Kira. They may have questioned Kira's past - but no one put up a beef about Kalani being on the show.

2. My dislike of Jill and Kendall has grown with every season. Jill's constant " poor Kendall " and the kids bratty behavior has gotten worse and I'm surprised that Melissa would tolerate the kids being around Kendall with her lack of respect - but this lead to number 3

3. Melissa is the most despicable mother only 2nd to Jill, The butt kissing, the arrogant, ruthless b that she is only got worse as the season's proceeded. I'm on season 6 where they leave. Maddie had become famous like mama wanted - due to Abby of course - but she wants her kids to take over all responsibility for the success of the show. The woman is delusional - and tho I don't wish Maddie ill will because she's a beautiful dancer and deserves everything she's gotten - I believe pushing these kids outside their genre is going to backfire. Mac's youtube fame will end in short time. Kids like her are a dime a dozen in youtube. Maddie may get modeling jobs for a few years and can maybe hang on to Sia for another year as far s her dancing - but I don't see modeling or acting in her future.

4. Abby has carried this show because of the hate everyone had for her. Season 6 deals mainly with the court case and the $$ she owes. The moms are complaining week after week that she's checked out.  If I was in the same position - I would have checked out too - but the lack of support from the moms - because they see the gravy train coming to an end and want to eek out as much money as possible before the show closes is disgusting. I know Abby made her bed and now she has to sleep in it - I agree - but the lack of understanding in season 6 from the moms and the lack of support she's received this year really make me dislike all of them. They wouldn't be where they are - had the opportunities that they had, had the experiences they've had - not made the money they have if not for Abby Lee Miller. The woman I despised the most is the one - at this time - I can associate with.

5. I personally hope that once served - she comes back with  new Dance Moms. I'm hoping all those that turned their backs on her - end up coming back to her and asking for help and she says, I made you a star once- I'm not going to do it again. After this show is done - Kalani may try out for So You Think You can Dance - or just teach, Nia will go off to college, Maddie and Mac will fade away, Jojo is getting involved in NICK and will keep her gig going for a bit, Brynn will continue to dance and make a name for herself - Kendall is already dead and gone.

• Love 1
21 hours ago, tessat said:

agree - but the lack of understanding in season 6 from the moms and the lack of support she's received this year really make me dislike all of them. They wouldn't be where they are - had the opportunities that they had, had the experiences they've had - not made the money they have if not for Abby Lee Miller. The woman I despised the most is the one - at this time - I can associate with.

I would agree with that if Abby ever showed any respect or support for the moms, but she hasn't.  I don't think the moms owe her any support whatsoever. 

• Love 2

I don't think her job was to respect or support the moms - it was to teach the kids - and although her style of teaching is not what I prefer - she's done a good job of promoting the kids. They each have been able to not only collect a weekly paycheck from the show - but have meet and greets - other TV appearances - music videos - modeling gigs ect.. None of which they would have had if they were not part of the show. And there have been some episodes where she and the moms have gotten together.

She is the teacher - it's her studio - a lot of the drama was started because the mom's didn't like the dance, didn't like the costumes, didn't like who was picked to perform the dances, didn't want their kids to be stereotyped, yada, yada, yada, - I dare you to go into another studio, a doctor's office or any place else and tell them how you want them to do their business. I think Abby is loud, crass and full of herself - but the moms brought a lot of this on with their own petty jealousies and whining.

10 minutes ago, tessat said:

I don't think her job was to respect or support the moms - it was to teach the kids - and although her style of teaching is not what I prefer - she's done a good job of promoting the kids.

I agree that her job was to teach the kids.  I also agree that it's not her job to respect or support the moms.  I do think everyone should be generally respectful to everyone else, though..  However, it is also not the moms' job to support Abby.  It works both ways.  You generally get the respect and support that you have put out in life.

12 minutes ago, tessat said:

I dare you to go into another studio, a doctor's office or any place else and tell them how you want them to do their business. I think Abby is loud, crass and full of herself - but the moms brought a lot of this on with their own petty jealousies and whining.

I think generally what you do is you find another studio or doctor's office.  This is why you don't sign 5 year contracts, or anything longer than a year, for things involving your children.  So, they don't end up in situations like this.  I would never have allowed my 10 year old child to do that Electricity dance with those costumes.  It was inappropriate.  But, that was really the only dance/costume combo that I had a problem with. At least that I can think of off the top of my head.

See - I disagree because they do owe her for their success and should respect how far she got their kids as far as show business. They'd be nothing without her. Not all signed 5 yr contracts - and even those who continued to complain - turned around and signed their contracts every time it came up for renewal. If they don't want to support her as far as case against her - fine - she was wrong and deserves what she got - but to not acknowledge all she did for them is wrong.

• Love 1
53 minutes ago, tessat said:

See - I disagree because they do owe her for their success and should respect how far she got their kids as far as show business. They'd be nothing without her. Not all signed 5 yr contracts - and even those who continued to complain - turned around and signed their contracts every time it came up for renewal. If they don't want to support her as far as case against her - fine - she was wrong and deserves what she got - but to not acknowledge all she did for them is wrong.

That's just ridiculous. They wouldn't be nothing.  I've never taken a dance class in my life and I'm not "nothing."  I don't think they should badmouth her, but that's just a general policy of mine.  No badmouthing people you work with, for, or who work for you.  And, yes, they were all participants on a reality show, so I would basically call them all co-workers.  But, as for actually saying positive things about her, if they don't feel it, they don't have to do it.  They need to be true to themselves.   Just, follow the general rule, if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all.

19 minutes ago, tessat said:

Oh please - enough of the PC - feel good - talk. Those children and their moms would not have had the opportunities they have had and continue to have.

This is ture.  But, that doesn't mean they have to kiss her butt about it.  Those opportunities came with a cost, as most opportunities do.  So, they should just curtail the negative talk and not feel the need to say anything positive.

actually it was Kelly who thought that dancemoms would be a good show, it was to be centered on the dance moms and their interactions. She talked irt over with her friend Kristie and they presented it to Lifetime. some where along the line it became about Abby and her interactions and no so much about he dancemoms and their special sitting area. I think that there may have been some production intervention , we know there were some scripts for the show. I think Kelly started spilling a lot before she took her kids and got out. But I think their artificial reality took over the real reality and things went down hill from there.  Wasn't there an agreement that production would not shoot Abby in her bra, so when she wanted to do something pretty bad, she would strip down to her bra until production started showing it?