Type keyword(s) to search

Unpopular Opinions: "I hate BLTs from Kelly's!"

• Start Topic

I feel like its gotten worse though since this regime took over. Nothing feels real and everything is played up for laughs. This month should've had a Mother's Day brunch, Kristina's graduation celebration, and a Nurse's Ball that looked  like a fundraising gala instead of a high school Spring Fling.

It has gotten worse. And there were and are and continue to be posters who still watch who say that this show has been gutted, and it's just plot points, plot points, plot points.  But basically, what you're saying? It's not unpopular.

So of course Ron chooses Carrrlos, whose death has basically no impact. Except to those of us who love JVP's awesome telenovela acting.

If Carrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrlos is really dead, I'm gonna miss him. I know the show needs another hitman/mobster like a hole in the head, but compared to the "heroic" Sonny and Shawn, Carlos was relatively inoffensive.

• Love 9

I loved Carlos. All the people Anna could shoot, and she guns Carlos down? Why couldn't Carlos be undercover? Yawn.

Anna better shoot someone over Robin being kidnapped because I'm sick of these lame men being more important than her child.

• Love 1

I loved Carlos. All the people Anna could shoot, and she guns Carlos down? Why couldn't Carlos be undercover? Yawn.

Anna better shoot someone over Robin being kidnapped because I'm sick of these lame men being more important than her child.

I agree with this so much.

1. Carlos was awesome and hilarious and was the only dude Sabrina had chemistry with.

2. It's ridiculous that Anna is firing her guns over Duke but doesn't give a crap about her daughter. And then she has time to call Patrick "family" and "perfect." Vomit balls.

• Love 2

I liked Courtney when she first came on and was paired with AJ, I thought her and AJ were really sweet and their story was realistic but than of course she had to fall for St. Jasus and she became a brother fecker and again AJ was demonized.

Than I hated SWMNBN and giggled when Jasus told her he was in love with Sam and she died in that stupid epidemic story lol.

• Love 6

I liked Courtney when she first came on and was paired with AJ, I thought her and AJ were really sweet and their story was realistic but than of course she had to fall for St. Jasus and she became a brother fecker and again AJ was demonized.

Than I hated SWMNBN and giggled when Jasus told her he was in love with Sam and she died in that stupid epidemic story lol.

When Cop!Killa died, I danced like Chandler Bing when he found out he was the best Monica ever had.

• Love 4

I'm glad Emily died childless and I don't think Spencer should've been hers. The only realistic thing about her cancer story is theydidn't give her a miracle baby.

I also never thought she and Nik had any chemisty together.

• Love 3
(edited)

So....I'm not a fan of Nik/Liz as a couple- but I kinda wanted them to make out today when she started ordering him to seduce Hayden*. IDEK, I think I like Liz better when she's not trying so hard to be good

I realize that's f*cked up.  

Edited by Oracle42

I think angelic, good girl was never a great fit for her but even after the rape she was part of L&L2 - successor to the great love of Luke & Laura . She had to be worthy of LL2 and JJ's Lucky Spencer even after he left. 

I think I could enjoy Liz as a schemer if there had been some lead-up/groundwork but this story is just a ton of WTF out of nowhere

• Love 1

I would like to ban the term "thrown under the bus" from all character discussions anywhere and everywhere.

What about "run over by the bus"? ;)

I do agree it's overused* by I think sometimes it's valid.

*For example, I don't think anything Ric has does at all has been him "thrown under the bus". He was never redeemed from his shadiness, and nothing he's done since Ron brought his back has been particularly ridiculously evil. Stupid, yes, but not horrible - for him.

• Love 2

*For example, I don't think anything Ric has does at all has been him "thrown under the bus". He was never redeemed from his shadiness, and nothing he's done since Ron brought his back has been particularly ridiculously evil. Stupid, yes, but not horrible - for him.

Cue Ron writing Ric literally getting run over by a bus driven by Franco and Nina.

I've seriously been waiting for Ron to screw with us all and do that.

Oh and I will never forgive Ron for wasting the goregousness of Sean Blakemore and JVP daily, but making GMc freaking strip and stutter daily. It's unforgivable. I hope TJ doesn't get stuck running Kellys now.

I never cared about Carlos and I wish they'd killed him years ago rather than letting him rot onscreen like some sort of Howard Hughes cosplay gone wrong.

Not to nitpick, but he's only been on a little more than a year and a half.

• Love 2
(edited)

It's mostly that I think it's so overused that it's useless. Especially in soap operas, I think characters shift, they access different parts of their personalities at different times. Just because you (the generic you) don't like how a character's acting right now doesn't mean the character's being destroyed.

Edited by TheGourmez
  • Love 3
(edited)

It's mostly that I think it's so overused that it's useless. Especially in soap operas, I think characters shift, they access different parts of their personalities at different times. Just because you (the generic you) don't like how a character's acting right now doesn't mean the character's being destroyed.

I somewhat agree with this but when a character is made to look bad just to make another look good that's when I get pissed. Yes characters do bad things but let it be within the scope of their character.

Edited by Jazzy24
  • Love 6

I somewhat agree with this but when a character is made to look bad just to make another look good that's when I get pissed. Yes characters do bad things but let it be within the scope of their character.

I think you've hit on part of my problem with the term--I don't think writers actually tear a character down to make another character look better very often. People assume that's the motivation for a character behaving badly all the time, and in doing so, it often shuts down conversations on why, within the text/show/film, the character is motivated to act how they are. Instead, it just becomes a given "because the writers suck" rather than a genuinely meaningful discussion of character flaws/arcs/development/devolution. For example, it becomes "they're throwing Liz under the bus!" instead of contemplating why, within the show's history, she might be willing to act how she is currently acting. I personally find the latter much more stimulating.

• Love 2
(edited)

I think you've hit on part of my problem with the term--I don't think writers actually tear a character down to make another character look better very often.

To a point, I agree that writers don't deliberately wreck characters, but within the context of soaps, its kind of different IMO. Because they run for so long, there's lots and lots and lots of history that piles up and accumulates, and some of it turns into dirty snow, or even yellow snow depending on how you look at it, and whenever the character comes up, some of that history will be brought up by somebody somewhere years after the actual event actually took place, usually by the viewers.

OTOH, I think that once the show decided to make Sonny Corinthos its hero and centerpiece, the writers realized that they were going to have to let him "get away" with a lot of stuff if they were going to keep him and Maurice around, and then that trickled down to Jason and Carly and gave them the same protection because they were his hangers-on. So they made him into a "good" mobster (which...please), and by extension Carly and Jason became good as well because they saw Sonny's "saintliness", or enabled his infantile behavior, whichever way you want to look at it. With the Toxic Trio getting away with things none of the other characters were allowed to, its sometimes hard to begrudge it if other terrible things go unpunished. But IMO that's how we got to this situation with Franco and Nina, that the trickle-down effect started by Sonny has turned into a waterfall of hideousness where anybody can do anything at any time without consequences or punishment. When you have a mafia boss, his moll and his hitman as your main characters, some of the other characters are going to get dirtied up by proxy because they have to handwave their actions. That's just how it is.

As for Liz specifically, yes she's had feelings for Jason for a long time, both romantic and otherwise. And let's say just for argument's sake that them never getting their chance to be together, that him "nobly" letting her and Baby!Jake go because his lifestyle was too dangerous means that she sees this as her chance to "correct" that mistake and have a do-over. Literally, since, y'know, Jake has no idea that he's Jason and she's deliberately withholding that information from him so that she can have him. Is it in character for Liz to lie and deceive so that she can maintain a relationship? Sure. Was there a point where she hated Sam so much that she'd have done anything to hurt her, because Sam obviously figures into this too? Maybe. Probably, actually. Unlike Carly, who spends half her life snarling at people, Liz is a stealth bitch, and she'll smile at you while she's at least mentally picturing your death. That's why I always tense up when she's starting to hover on the edges of anyone else's relationship, because I know that that sweet-as-pie exterior is covering up a bitchface that rivals Carly's facehugger expression any day.

But to do this, commit what amounts to sexual assault? I mean, I'm rolling with it because that's what happened, but I don't know if I could describe it as in character. Its been mentioned in the main thread that it would be more believable if it was Carly, and since even in the heyday of her marriage to Sonny she'd likely have left shoemarks on his scalp to get to Jason again, I kind of agree with that. And I've said it before, but if Liz was a man the question of "is it in character?" wouldn't even be a blip on anyone's radar. If nothing else, Jason had his chance to be with her before and he went back to Sam, and quite frankly that's no perk for Sam AFAIC. So what exactly is Liz getting by not being honest other than a man who both isn't really himself, and didn't want her when he was himself?

Edited by Cobalt Stargazer
  • Love 9
So what exactly is Liz getting by not being honest other than a man who both isn't really himself, and didn't want her when he was himself?

She finally "wins".

Liz never could before, because as you said he kept leaving her. Not even giving him his first kid changed that much at all. He always picked Sonny over her, Carly, Sam, Michael, and so on and so on. Liz could just never "measure up" to become one of Jason's permanent inner circle as his lover/wife.

This way is the only way she can have and keep "Jason", which is only possible when he has absolutely no clue who he is or who he supposedly "really belongs to" as she said during the Nurses' Ball.

Liz is determined to come out on top for once, which means compromising her morality and her dignity  to the point that they're pretty much nonexistent at this point, imho.

I feel like dumping some UOs.

TeRi isn't that good.

I don't give one fuck that Ned/Olivia are lying to Julian about the baby being dead.

Liz is currently the most enjoyable she's ever been (minus a brief time when she was with AJ) to me.

• Love 1
(edited)
Liz is currently the most enjoyable she's ever been (minus a brief time when she was with AJ) to me.

I love crazy Liz right now. She finally has a POV in a story, even if said story is beyond stupid. BH is playing the desperation and self-delusion really well. If only the story weren't going to end so badly for Liz.

Edited by dubbel zout
  • Love 4

I don't give one fuck that Ned/Olivia are lying to Julian about the baby being dead.

I don't either and I actually like him...most of the time. I'm glad we didn't get another dead baby story but other than that I can't be bothered to care about this kid. Send him to boarding school or something and he can take Avery with him. 

• Love 3

With you there. I just am not moved by his pain and really don't care that this murderer is being denied HIS SON.

• Love 3

I don't care about Julian's pain because this kid shouldn't even be his to mourn over, or even be alive as far as I care. It was beyond pointless and stupid, to me, for he and Olivia to have bonked anyhow.

It should have come down between Jordan and Anna, imo, because the conflict brewed from Julian hooking up with either of them could have been fairly decent, at least the acting would have been on point for the most part.

But my UO comes from watching Michael and Sabrina yesterday. I don't hate them because they don't elicit enough interest for me to even bother, but they are completely devoid of any chemistry to me. 

Watching them "flirt" or whatever the hell they do is just so very boring, and to me is on line with watching Kiki and Morgan, two couples that have not just one but two people involved that I'd give Ron's writing arm to be rid of for good.

• Love 3

It should have come down between Jordan and Anna, imo, because the conflict brewed from Julian hooking up with either of them could have been fairly decent, at least the acting would have been on point for the most part.

But my UO comes from watching Michael and Sabrina yesterday. I don't hate them because they don't elicit enough interest for me to even bother, but they are completely devoid of any chemistry to me. 

Watching them "flirt" or whatever the hell they do is just so very boring, and to me is on line with watching Kiki and Morgan, two couples that have not just one but two people involved that I'd give Ron's writing arm to be rid of for good.

They are sooooooo boring. Fuck. I really can't think of anyone else in PC who either of them could be paired with though. 

• Love 1
(edited)

They are sooooooo boring. Fuck. I really can't think of anyone else in PC who either of them could be paired with though. 

Well I wouldn't mind Sabrina being tossed at the SERIAL KILLER if he'd do away with her once and for all. As for Michael...who knows. I actually wonder if they might try a Michael and Val pairing to touch back on the whole Keesha/Jason/A.J. triangle, not that they won't end up utterly ruining any such thing as usual. 

This show is just lacking, imho, in good couples. Ron just keeps sticking the most random, and often shitty, characters together for no good reason, without any reasoning it seems involved. Case in point this new "marriage" between the Nina and Ric. 

Edited by CPP83
  • Love 2

As for Michael...who knows. I actually wonder if they might try a Michael and Val pairing to touch back on the whole Keesha/Jason/A.J. triangle, not that they won't end up utterly ruining any such thing as usual. 

Valerie is Carly's cousin so she and Michael are related.  

I still have my doubts about her truly being a Spencer myself, but I should have made that clear, heh. I think she may end up being a whole new person. Or she's really Helena in a mask, who knows.

I still have my doubts about her truly being a Spencer myself, but I should have made that clear, heh. I think she may end up being a whole new person. Or she's really Helena in a mask, who knows.

Eh. Carly's about as much of a Spencer as Valerie is, except for the two or so times a year when she and Luke have scenes together. With Geary taking his final bow, that tie will be severed unless they let Bobbie out of the vet's closet.

• Love 1

I still stand by my UO that's it's OOC for Liz to keep the Jason secret and would make way more sense for Patrick to keep it, especially after his convo with Sam in today's episode. Jason/Jake dangerous, he wants Sam to stay away from him, he's Danny's daddy now, he likes his life with Sam....Patrick should've kept this secret, man.

• Love 4

But wasn't it established that Pat was her mother? And Pat was a Spencer, so I think it's pretty clear Val is a Spencer...unless, yeah, she is a reincarnated Foster The Dog now back on earth as a human woman or something. It's Ron, so that idea isn't so ridiculous.

I am glad Duke is gone and I wasn't particular as to how his exit was accomplished.

I'd like to see Liz and Nik together with a storyline that examines a dysfunctional blended family as Cameron and Spencer have to deal with their jealousy and animosity. 

• Love 1

But wasn't it established that Pat was her mother? And Pat was a Spencer, so I think it's pretty clear Val is a Spencer...unless, yeah, she is a reincarnated Foster The Dog now back on earth as a human woman or something. It's Ron, so that idea isn't so ridiculous.

Well as far as she "knows" according to what we've seen on the show, but I was thinking something like what happened with Nathan and Mags, she goes from his mother to his aunt and Dr. O became his egg donor instead so I don't put it past Ron to play a round of "who's your Mommy/Daddy" musical chairs with anyone at this point.

Especially since he keeps using those goddamn masks to cover up his crap writing.

Although if she and Michael couldn't be paired together due to being related I'd much rather it be because she is actually Keesha and A.J.'s daughter, heh.  

Yay, another person who doesn't get the hype for TeRi's acting! I mean honestly I just do not see it at all. He's close to terrible some of the time IMO.

He's better than HP but far from great. And I'm saying that as someone who's seen him in other roles outside of GH.

Speaking of HP she's a horrible young actress. Really shrill and just bad. She's lucky to have coasted along on GH for so many years. Her brief appearences on Instant om havent been anything special either.

TR isn't the greatest actor ever but IMO he's one of the better ones on this show.  I hope he leaves when his contract is up, because he deserves better than what he's been given, which isn't much.

My UO: Michael and Sabrina bore me to tears.

• Love 2

Yay, another person who doesn't get the hype for TeRi's acting! I mean honestly I just do not see it at all. He's close to terrible some of the time IMO.

It's the way he's always audibly breathing out when he speaks that drives me insane. SPEAK UP AND STOP DOING THAT FOR THE LOVE OF GOD. 

• Love 1

My UO: Michael and Sabrina bore me to tears.

And because of this, I will be gleefully happy when RC destroys them beyond all recognition as he does with every single couple after he gets bored. I hope they are completely and totally bashed to smithereens.

• Love 3