Type keyword(s) to search

The NBA

xaxat
  • Start Topic

(edited)

Fun Knicks/Hawks game tonight. 

And Trae Young smiling at the "Fuck Trae Young chants" gives me Last Dance vibes. He's so about to take it personally and drop 60.

Lets hope so. 

Lets also hope that the Hawks would actually make some damn shots. They were bricking a lot of them (especially 3 pointers) in the 2nd half & its the main reason that they lost tonight. Hopefully, Spike Lee will also bring that same energy in Atlanta.

As for the Clippers, there is a very good chance that they're going to lose Game 3. I'm also certain that Paul George will probably get blamed again when they lose again to the Mavericks. 

Edited by Magog
  • Love 1
(edited)

New low for the Philly fan dumping popcorn on an injured Westbrook. Absolute trash and hope he’s barred for life from that arena. They really need to protect these players from these psychos.

Man I hope Trae drops 60 at MSG the next time he’s in town. Preferably in the Knicks elimination game. I did not miss obnoxious Knicks fans.

Edited by twoods
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, twoods said:

New low for the Philly fan dumping popcorn on an injured Westbrook. Absolute trash and hope he’s barred for life from that arena. They really need to protect these players from these psychos.

It might be a new low for that person but it's definitely not a new low for Philly fans in general

And congrats on the Knicks for winning the championship.  Or, you know, tying a first round series at 1-1.  I'm curious to see how they'll react if they advance

• Useful 2
1 hour ago, cambridgeguy said:

It might be a new low for that person but it's definitely not a new low for Philly fans in general

And congrats on the Knicks for winning the championship.  Or, you know, tying a first round series at 1-1.  I'm curious to see how they'll react if they advance

Oh man. Philly fans are a different breed. I'm friends with a Philly fan and he is normally a shy, quiet, reserved person. Went to a Mets-Phillies game with him and he and some Mets fans almost got into a physical altercation.

Also, Ja Morant almost dropped 50 tonight. 

The idiot who dumped popcorn on Westbrook was a season ticket holder. This morning the Sixers announced his season tickets have been permanently revoked and he is not allowed into the Wells Fargo arena for any events for the foreseeable future. Sixers' fans may be passionate but they were pretty unanimous in saying what that guy did was despicable and happy that he's been banned. 

And some fan actually spit on Trae Young last night but apparently that's not as big of news as a guy dumping popcorn on a player. 

• Love 2
11 hours ago, Magog said:

Lets hope so. 

Lets also hope that the Hawks would actually make some damn shots. They were bricking a lot of them (especially 3 pointers) in the 2nd half & its the main reason that they lost tonight. Hopefully, Spike Lee will also bring that same energy in Atlanta.

The Knicks shot just as badly, if not worse in the first half, than the Hawks. The main reason the Hawks lost is that the Knicks pulled their shit together and the Hawks didn't.

1 hour ago, emma675 said:

The idiot who dumped popcorn on Westbrook was a season ticket holder. This morning the Sixers announced his season tickets have been permanently revoked and he is not allowed into the Wells Fargo arena for any events for the foreseeable future. Sixers' fans may be passionate but they were pretty unanimous in saying what that guy did was despicable and happy that he's been banned. 

And some fan actually spit on Trae Young last night but apparently that's not as big of news as a guy dumping popcorn on a player. 

Fan banned from MSG after spitting on Trae Young.

• Love 9
(edited)
58 minutes ago, emmawoodhouse said:

Good. Wtf is wrong with people, esp. right now while we're still dealing with Covid? Spitting, throwing used food, etc., it's just beyond unacceptable even when Covid didn't exist. People get so wrapped up in team rivalries they seem to forget the players are just human beings, playing a game to entertain the audience. Just because you don't like a player who is on a rival team doesn't mean he's a bad person and it doesn't give anyone in the audience the right to do what happened last night. Some fans need to get a serious grip. 

Edited by emma675d
  • Love 12

Unlike other sports, basketball players are so close to the fans and can hear all the crap that’s said to them at every game. I don’t know how they deal with it. I understand that they are multimillionaires and we shouldn’t feel sorry for them, but how much abuse can they take? Then they snap and jaw at fans and they look like the bad guys. 

• Love 6
9 hours ago, emma675 said:

Good. Wtf is wrong with people, esp. right now while we're still dealing with Covid? Spitting, throwing used food, etc., it's just beyond unacceptable even when Covid didn't exist. People get so wrapped up in team rivalries they seem to forget the players are just human beings, playing a game to entertain the audience. Just because you don't like a player who is on a rival team doesn't mean he's a bad person and it doesn't give anyone in the audience the right to do what happened last night. Some fans need to get a serious grip. 

I wish I could like this post 100 times. I really get annoyed when fanbases of sports teams think that players on rival sports teams are bad people and create reasons to hate them. Their JOB is to win. If they don't take PED's, don't gamble on games, don't commit felonies off the court, then IMO this over the top hatred of them is ridiculous. Their job is to play winning ball. If they sucked and threw games so your favorite team could win, well, that wouldn't be exciting would it?

Speaking of fans behaving badly, three Utah Jazz fans banned for racist taunts towards Ja Morant's parents. Wtf is wrong with people.

• Love 6
(edited)
4 hours ago, mojoween said:

So the experiment of allowing fans back into arenas has clearly failed, yeah?

Sure, just like how the repeal of prohibition is clearly a failure.  If the standard is going to be no fans until we're 100% certain the idiots are kept out then they might as well rip out all the seats now.

Edited by cambridgeguy
  • LOL 6
  • Love 3
(edited)

Rather Breaking news and very terrible news (courtesy of the Utah Jazz Twitter account).  Came out of nowhere; while speculation might lean toward an unfortunate bike accident, no cause of death as of this post.

Edited by Carey
Edited to update the link

I hope the Hawks finish the Knicks off in front of their obnoxious fans. 

Welp, there goes the Lakers season if AD is injured. Their whole advantage was the size, and the Lakers guards are not on the same levels as the Suns. I don’t think that Lebron can carry this team unless someone else shows up.

• Love 1
29 minutes ago, twoods said:

I hope the Hawks finish the Knicks off in front of their obnoxious fans. 

Welp, there goes the Lakers season if AD is injured. Their whole advantage was the size, and the Lakers guards are not on the same levels as the Suns. I don’t think that Lebron can carry this team unless someone else shows up.

ADs injuries are concerning because it seems like he has accumulated a bunch of smaller injuries. At this point I'm convinced the thing he really needs is just good rest and recovery.  

And wow, the Knicks have played like ass. Totally embarrassing G-league play from them. 

• Love 2

Well, there's one more game on 05/30, but what a slate of duds today as of this post.  As for the Lakers, I don't think they would've won the West, let alone everything with AD.  I think his loss hurts their chances of winning the series, but neither him nor LBJ were healthy.  It does suck that it occurred, but it's a long postseason following a championship that occurred not too long ago (with everything pushed back).

It would've been nice to see LA repeat and possibly 3-peat, but the chance of winning 3 of 4 is still there (probably need a couple more pieces though)

• Love 1
59 minutes ago, Lady Whistleup said:

Today in fans behaving badly: someone in Boston threw a water bottle at Kyrie's head as he was walking to the tunnel. Totally unacceptable behavior.

Just saw the footage. Dude was cuffed and taken away.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

Well, emmawoodhouse basically posted the exact thing I was about to post before seeing the post prior to getting ready to post it.

Not only is it unacceptable behavior, it's rather boneheaded behavior.  Similar to a lot of other negative things on Planet Earth, it's a pattern.  I'm not surprised at all, sadly.  The reason why I called it boneheaded is that it's been a story for the past several days, and action has been made to try and stop it.  Everyone from the media has voiced his and her opinions that's it's messed up.  Then after that, someone ends up screwing up and going after Irving.

The fact is that Kyrie may have brought the heat on himself, for other reasons not related to the main issue.  However, a line was crossed there, no surprise since the Nets blew out Boston again, and hopefully they'll win to avoid another trip to the garden on Thursday

• Love 4
18 minutes ago, Marley said:

Well Kyrie was a jerk for no reason too. Ppl shouldn’t throw shit that’s embarrassing and fucked but pls.

Yeah, I mentioned Kyrie fucking with the logo on center court in my last post. A ref had to come over and stand on it so it wasn't further "defiled." 

The vast majority of fans in all sports are happy to be back. Hell, the scene in Montreal yesterday brought a tear to my eye. Unfortunately, assholes have always existed. They just stand out more now as complete morons. Why waste all that money to throw bottles, spit, lob casual racial slurs, etc? 

• Love 3
(edited)
9 hours ago, emmawoodhouse said:

Why waste all that money to throw bottles, spit, lob casual racial slurs, etc? 

I think they spend that money TO throw bottles, spit, and lob racist slurs. The Overly Drunk Sports Fan is really unpleasant to be around.

ETA: he was arrested.

Edited by Lady Whistleup
  • Love 2

If disrespecting a logo is such a big offense, then perhaps teams shouldn't paint it on the court where guys will be running over it all game.

• LOL 4
  • Love 5
1 minute ago, xaxat said:

If disrespecting a logo is such a big offense, then perhaps teams shouldn't paint it on the court where guys will be running over it all game.

Also whatever Kyrie did to the logo he didn't physically try to harm anyone. Throwing a water bottle at him is just unacceptable. 

• Love 11

NBA created this problem way back with the pistons pacers brawl 

Pistona and their fans should have been punished .much harder.  NBA sold out and placed all the Blame on artest but the truth is the pistons and their fans, the refs, the piss poor secuirty were equally to blame.  

But the NBA decided to sell it as one nutty player and crush the pacers  while giving the pistons a slap on the wrist.  The message was you can berate the opposing team all you want. 

• Love 4
5 hours ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

Dar----ryl!!!  Dar---ryl!!!

😂 That was harmless. Of course, I'm sure plenty of bleacher creatures throughout the league were hurling cokehead insults when he was in the field. 

1 hour ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

NBA created this problem way back with the pistons pacers brawl 

Pistona and their fans should have been punished .much harder.  NBA sold out and placed all the Blame on artest but the truth is the pistons and their fans, the refs, the piss poor secuirty were equally to blame.  

But the NBA decided to sell it as one nutty player and crush the pacers  while giving the pistons a slap on the wrist.  The message was you can berate the opposing team all you want. 

To be fair to the league, Ron had a significant history prior to that brawl.  Maybe the punishment would've been the same, but I knew that he was done for the second all hell broke loose.

I think the guys on Inside the NBA made reference to this; while they pretty much said that the league does not want another situation to happen ever again, they may be on pace for that to occur again.  I don't think a repeat of the events that occurred on November 19th, 2004 will happen in the postseason, but I wouldn't bet against it despite it being the postseason.

Sure all the suspects have been "banned" but meh.  I didn't really give TPTB a standing ovation.  It's better than nothing but it's pretty much close to nothing either, IMO

44 minutes ago, Carey said:

To be fair to the league, Ron had a significant history prior to that brawl.  Maybe the punishment would've been the same, but I knew that he was done for the second all hell broke loose.

I think the guys on Inside the NBA made reference to this; while they pretty much said that the league does not want another situation to happen ever again, they may be on pace for that to occur again.  I don't think a repeat of the events that occurred on November 19th, 2004 will happen in the postseason, but I wouldn't bet against it despite it being the postseason.

Sure all the suspects have been "banned" but meh.  I didn't really give TPTB a standing ovation.  It's better than nothing but it's pretty much close to nothing either, IMO

I'm not talking About arrests punishment.   I'm talking about everyone on the pistons and the organization pretty much getting off without punishment.

There were fans attacking the other pacers players just trying to get off the court.   And not just the idiot who approached Jermaine oneal. They were lucky none of the pacers players were hurt 

The pistons though got out of it with almost nothing.   Some of the pacers players got a one game suspension just for defending themselves to idiot fans trying to get off the court.  

• Love 2
1 hour ago, DrSpaceman73 said:
2 hours ago, Carey said:

Expand  

I'm not talking About arrests punishment.   I'm talking about everyone on the pistons and the organization pretty much getting off without punishment.

There were fans attacking the other pacers players just trying to get off the court.   And not just the idiot who approached Jermaine oneal. They were lucky none of the pacers players were hurt 

The pistons though got out of it with almost nothing.   Some of the pacers players got a one game suspension just for defending themselves to idiot fans trying to get off the court.  

Oh I see.  Yeah that is messed up.  It isn't a shocker for a couple of reasons: Detroit was in the midst of their rather long championship era that lasted several years.  They were defending champions who ended up being one win away from a repeat (in a series where home court was very, very important it appeared).  David Stern's picture would appear in a dictionary next to maximizing agenda or perfecting one's narrative.  ITA: the league basically said that it is okay for fans to mess with the stars to the highest degree, but you won't hear that from the NBA.  They'll put out a stupid statement for the sole reason of looking like heroes.  We'll see what the association will do to try to make piece on the day one of their players (that has a successful & legendary lawyer) decides to press charges

• Love 1

I also think the NBA brands itself so much nowadays as being a super fan-friendly sport. Meet-and-greets and community outreach are a big part of the NBA's appeal. NBA stars are maybe the most accessible -- it's supposedly pretty easy to get several superstars' autographs. If the league wants that to continue they have to crack down on the idiotic behavior of fans. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Carey said:

Oh I see.  Yeah that is messed up.  It isn't a shocker for a couple of reasons: Detroit was in the midst of their rather long championship era that lasted several years.  They were defending champions who ended up being one win away from a repeat (in a series where home court was very, very important it appeared).  David Stern's picture would appear in a dictionary next to maximizing agenda or perfecting one's narrative.  ITA: the league basically said that it is okay for fans to mess with the stars to the highest degree, but you won't hear that from the NBA.  They'll put out a stupid statement for the sole reason of looking like heroes.  We'll see what the association will do to try to make piece on the day one of their players (that has a successful & legendary lawyer) decides to press charges

Detroit was defending champs at the time but they only won one title the year before.   They had like two or three good years, it wasn't like they were the warriors or Lakers in the middle of a threepeat.  

It was nba spin control, place blame on a rogue player and ignore the bugger problem. Same they did with donaghy when it was found out he was fixing games. Claim it was a single ref, no bigger problem.  

Speaking of which, Tim donaghy was one of the refs in that infamous pacers pistons game

• Useful 1
(edited)

The Sixers/Wizards game was hilarious for the blatant hack-a-Ben strategy in the 4th quarter. That's the minus of being a weak FT shooter in the playoffs -- opponents just foul and foul you until you lose confidence at the line. Giannis and Luka Doncic and to a lesser extent Lebron also go through this as they're all comparatively weak FT shooters.

Edited by Lady Whistleup

Sixers/Wizards also featured a fan trying to rush the court. He was tackled by a security guard. It's not only the players that are put a risk by these idiots. A couple of weeks ago a security guard broke an ankle trying to take someone down at an MLB game.

15 hours ago, Carey said:

We'll see what the association will do to try to make piece on the day one of their players (that has a successful & legendary lawyer) decides to press charges

The Knicks asked Trey Young if he wanted to press charges. He declined. The league is on board with legal sanctions.

• Love 4
4 hours ago, xaxat said:

Sixers/Wizards also featured a fan trying to rush the court. He was tackled by a security guard. It's not only the players that are put a risk by these idiots.

It just seems to be something every game now, I swear. I wonder if the NBA will have to put stricter measures in place for fans or make access to the players and court harder during games? I worry that someone completely crazy will actually attack and hurt a player during a game at some point.

• Love 3

I don't know if anyone has been listening to Death at the Wing, Adam McKay's podcast about the premature deaths of several NBA and potential NBA stars in the 80s and 90s, but it's really interesting. He links these deaths to cultural events of the time, either directly or indirectly.

Len Bias and Terry Furlow and the start of the War on Drugs. Benji Wilson the high school star gunned down bringing Chicago's crime epidemic to national attention, Drazen Petrovic missing the chance to lead the Yugoslavian Olympics team against the Dream Team, thanks to the dissolution of the country then dying at the height of his career. The episode I'm listening to at the moment isn't about an actual death, but about the death of Craig Hodges' career when he took a moral stand after the Rodney King beating and got blackballed by the league.

• Useful 5
11 hours ago, xaxat said:
On 5/31/2021 at 6:51 PM, Carey said:

We'll see what the association will do to try to make piece on the day one of their players (that has a successful & legendary lawyer) decides to press charges

The Knicks asked Trey Young if he wanted to press charges. He declined. The league is on board with legal sanctions.

And as for the Celtics fan, looks like they'll be moving ahead with charges against him.  Not sure whether it'll help end this nonsense, but it's a start.  At least it would help curb some of the bad behavior.

6 hours ago, emma675 said:
11 hours ago, xaxat said:

Sixers/Wizards also featured a fan trying to rush the court. He was tackled by a security guard. It's not only the players that are put a risk by these idiots.

It just seems to be something every game now, I swear. I wonder if the NBA will have to put stricter measures in place for fans or make access to the players and court harder during games? I worry that someone completely crazy will actually attack and hurt a player during a game at some point.

In addition to legal action, another way to minimize such bad behavior is to have one of their stars pummel the hell out of some antagonist.  If anyone's getting hurt bigtime it's a civilian.  Short of being trained in Martial Arts it's not going to go well for any fan against a professional athlete (several of whom are trained in Martial Arts themselves, which would completely offset whatever skills some moron might but probably doesn't have).  The strength in numbers doesn't help a fan, either.

Point made nonetheless, emma.  Whether it's a player or a fan, something unfortunate would happen.  To elaborate, the league would side with the player, but they would reluctantly suspend said player if they actually kicked someone's ass more than what would be necessary and more than what could be considered self-defense.  As of late, it looks like the police & security (as well as players and coaches nearby) have been very quick and good at stopping anything that got out of hand

• Love 2
(edited)

I guess the Lakers game shows that AD is the true MVP of this team. Yikes. At least we don’t have to hear CP3 bitching about the refs anymore and he can win a playoff series for a change. 

Edited by twoods
29 minutes ago, twoods said:

I guess the Lakers game shows that AD is the true MVP of this team. Yikes. At least we don’t have to hear CP3 bitching about the refs anymore and he can win a playoff series for a change. 

The Denver/Portland game is far more entertaining. Dame is blowing up!