Type keyword(s) to search

The NBA

xaxat
  • Start Topic

I didn't know anyone paid attention to Stephen A Smith. 

The only sports announcer I like is Clyde Frazier for his rhyming and timing.

Anyway since I was so wrong about the East (having picked the Hornets and Wizards), I bet I'll be wrong about the West too but I predict Lakers win tonight and Warriors win Friday.

• Love 1

I thought the Spurs would be too wily and crafty for the Grizzlies, but so far it seems like the Grizzlies are just overwhelming in their strength and athleticism and it's all the Spurs can do to keep within reach.

2 hours ago, Lady Whistleup said:

I didn't know anyone paid attention to Stephen A Smith. 

The only sports announcer I like is Clyde Frazier for his rhyming and timing.

Anyway since I was so wrong about the East (having picked the Hornets and Wizards), I bet I'll be wrong about the West too but I predict Lakers win tonight and Warriors win Friday.

I hope you're wrong. 😁

• Love 1

Man the Lakers have officially become a shitshow. Looks like no one besides Caruso give a shit. Hope they lose the second game too and put us Lakers fans out of our misery. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
(edited)
1 hour ago, twoods said:

Man the Lakers have officially become a shitshow. Looks like no one besides Caruso give a shit. Hope they lose the second game too and put us Lakers fans out of our misery. 

Looks like you spoke too soon. LeBron got the game-winning shot to beat those Warriors 103-100. I hope that the Suns are saying their prayers right now because there is a good chance that they will go down against the Lakers. And it will be a surprise to absolutely nobody if it happens.

Stephen Curry tried his damndest to win that game for those Warriors (37 points). Even Andrew Wiggins was helpful in their effort (21 points) But, thankfully he & those Warriors failed tonight.

The odds are not great, but maybe the Grizzlies can somehow find a way to redeem themselves on Friday Night. 

Edited by Magog

Great that the Lakers eeked out the win, but they are limping to the playoffs with Lebron and AD not being 100%, and Shroeder playing like garbage. If it wasn’t for Lebron’s late game heroics and Caruso they would be playing the Grizzlies. The Lakers definitely have a size advantage over the Suns, but I don’t know if Lebron’s body is going to be able to handle a playoff series.

CP3 needs to have a meeting with the baby Suns (have any of them made the playoffs before?) to get them ready for playoff-intensity, refs, and Playoff LeBron in whatever form he's in. But I really, really, want the Lakers to go out in the first round.

How many years does LeBron have left? I know he wants to last until Bronny (?) can make it to the NBA and he will strong-arm the Lakers into drafting him no matter what, but will LeBron hold out that long?

• Love 1
33 minutes ago, LexieLily said:

CP3 needs to have a meeting with the baby Suns (have any of them made the playoffs before?) to get them ready for playoff-intensity, refs, and Playoff LeBron in whatever form he's in. But I really, really, want the Lakers to go out in the first round.

How many years does LeBron have left? I know he wants to last until Bronny (?) can make it to the NBA and he will strong-arm the Lakers into drafting him no matter what, but will LeBron hold out that long?

He's 36 which traditionally is retirement age. Very few players play many years beyond 36. But usually it's because your body shuts you down and retires itself -- Kobe retired by 38 but by the time he retired he was on his last legs -- he had torn his Achilles, blown out his knee, and had a huge shoulder injury. Bron's body has mostly held up well. 

1 hour ago, Lady Whistleup said:

He's 36 which traditionally is retirement age. Very few players play many years beyond 36. But usually it's because your body shuts you down and retires itself -- Kobe retired by 38 but by the time he retired he was on his last legs -- he had torn his Achilles, blown out his knee, and had a huge shoulder injury. Bron's body has mostly held up well. 

LeBron is probably going to end up like Karl Malone and just keep going until 40 or a catastrophic injury.  His ego is going to make him push - longevity is the one huge advantage he has over his competition in the conversation for best players ever. 

I'm not a fan of Lebron, I think he's a dirty player, but I will give him props for his physical regimen. I think if he stays healthy, he could probably play until he's 40 (although the ankle injury this season kept him out for far longer than I thought it would). He's just in amazing shape and it seems like he works incredibly hard to stay healthy and in peak condition. But I suppose a random, catastrophic injury could quickly derail that. 

• Love 1
6 minutes ago, emma675 said:

I'm not a fan of Lebron, I think he's a dirty player, but I will give him props for his physical regimen. I think if he stays healthy, he could probably play until he's 40 (although the ankle injury this season kept him out for far longer than I thought it would). He's just in amazing shape and it seems like he works incredibly hard to stay healthy and in peak condition. But I suppose a random, catastrophic injury could quickly derail that. 

Lebron is simply built different from the typical lanky, long-legged NBA player. His body is like a tank.

Look at this picture: it looks like two Kevin Durants can fit in one Lebron:

1052014712.jpeg

He looks like he could easily snap Steph Curry in half:

stephen-curry-warriors-lebron-james-lake

Lebron is huge and in great shape.  Which makes his flopping against guys half his size all the more comical.  And annoying. 

Hated the wnba commercial.  Like trying to guilt people into watching.   

• Love 1
(edited)
3 hours ago, Fukui San said:

I'm sure the commissioner is happy that the play in tourney resulted in less Steph and more Grizzlies.

I know I am. It just made my weekend a whole lot brighter seeing Steph (especially) & those Warriors going down in a heap in overtime.

The Jazz are also happy because they probably would of gotten their butts kicked by those Warriors. Now, they can breathe a little bit easier in the first round. 

Edited by Magog
  • Love 2

You might not be as happy when the Warriors end up with the 4th pick in the draft and take Jalen Green or Davion Mitchell, then get to pick again in the top twenty, to rebuild around Steph. Time to curse the Timberwolves for not sucking enough to maximise their chances of keeping their own pick.

I imagine the Lakers will go on a run to the finals, now. The West is soft - the Suns and Jazz will fall apart under scrutiny and the Nuggets will only go as far as Jokic takes them. The Clippers and Mavericks are the only teams I see as genuine threats.

• LOL 1
7 minutes ago, emmawoodhouse said:

So, LeBron violated Covid protocols. Will Silver have the balls to suspend him?

No. He also is the only unvaxxed Laker according to Anthony Davis.

Anyway, here's a nice picture from last night. Ja Morant and Steph Curry hugging after the game. Ja said his idol growing up was Steph Curry. You always have to remember just how young some of these players are.

ffd1658862262de1b8e5eb201edec0d0

New NBA is really different from old NBA. I couldn't imagine MJ or Larry Bird doing any such thing, win or loss. 

• Love 8
2 hours ago, Lady Whistleup said:

No. He also is the only unvaxxed Laker according to Anthony Davis.

Anyway, here's a nice picture from last night. Ja Morant and Steph Curry hugging after the game. Ja said his idol growing up was Steph Curry. You always have to remember just how young some of these players are.

ffd1658862262de1b8e5eb201edec0d0

New NBA is really different from old NBA. I couldn't imagine MJ or Larry Bird doing any such thing, win or loss. 

No, MJ would already be plotting his very public and very spiteful revenge.

• LOL 9
(edited)
19 hours ago, Danny Franks said:

No, MJ would already be plotting his very public and very spiteful revenge.

"At the end of the game this dumb rookie Ja Morant comes up to me and tries to give me a hug. And he acts like he's as much of a threat as me. And I said alright, no problem, Imma let you have this, but next time I see him, I'm dropping 60 on his ass."

Screen_Shot_2020-10-05_at_11.51.58_AM.pn

Edited by Lady Whistleup
  • LOL 15
11 hours ago, emmawoodhouse said:

So, LeBron violated Covid protocols. Will Silver have the balls to suspend him?

Apparently not, and his statement made no sense. The threat level did not rise to the level of virus spread?

• Love 1

They should suspend him at least one game and fine him as well. The fact that he’s not vaccinated yet thinks he’s above this pandemic continues to piss me off, and I’m a Lakers fan. 

• Love 4
(edited)
53 minutes ago, twoods said:

They should suspend him at least one game and fine him as well. The fact that he’s not vaccinated yet thinks he’s above this pandemic continues to piss me off, and I’m a Lakers fan. 

Ironically I think the reason he isn;t suspended is because the rest of the Lakers are vaxxed, and the Suns are as well. It's incredibly dumb for him not to be vaccinated though. If he tests positive for the rona there goes his chance of defending the title. When almost the rest of the NBA is vaxxed his refusal is just irresponsible.

Edited by Lady Whistleup
  • Love 5

Well, everyone was writing off the Suns, but they decided they'd actually make an effort anyway. Although if Paul's not right, it's going to be really tough.

Really happy for Monty Williams after the personal and professional shitshow that was New Orleans.

(edited)

I was excited to watch the Sixers game with the crowd back to a good size, because their crowds are rowdy and if a player chokes they will let him have it (whether it's an opponent or a Sixers player). Imagine my disappointment with TNT choosing to have the crowd noise muted in favor of better hearing Marv Albert call players names wrong over and over and miscall the final score. I swear the piped in crowd noise during the regular season was louder than TNT allowed the Philly fans to be heard on the broadcast. And now I'm watching the Knicks/Heat game, also on TNT, and the crowd noise is insane. TNT sucks.

I also caught the Lakers/Suns game earlier and that game was gritty. That seems like a series that could get really physical before it's over. 

Edited by emma675d
(edited)

I watched the local sixer feed instead of the National and they were loud even at 50% capacity. I could hear them telling they refs they suck loud and clear.😂

I am annoyed that they had them on the 1:00 game. They are the 1 seed and there is no way of the Nets were the 1 that they would put them on that early.

Edited by shoregirl
  • Love 4

So happy for Phoenix that they took Game 1, but as a Rockets fan who was so disappointed in Chris Paul's hamstring injury at the end of Game 5 versus the Warriors (still think that with healthy CP3 we would have beat the Warriors and won the Finals), I had flashbacks when he went down with the shoulder...

(edited)

The energy the Knicks fans were eluding in Madison Square Garden was great. It was nice to see that type of unity and excitement especially after seeing a bunch of empty/near empty stadiums this past year.

They didn't win, but I could see them bouncing back. Julius Randle didn't have a good game, though Alex Burks was very good off of the bench. Derrek Rose has also been playing well and is doing a good job of showing veteran leadership and poise while he's out on the floor. 

Trey Young was very impressive tonight and has been throughout this season. I think this playoffs is going to be a playoff where we see a lot of young players really come into their own and have coming out performances. Like Trey tonight and Ja Morant the other night against the Warriors. I really enjoyed the way Ja played and he had the type of performance that was exciting and gets people pumped to watch the games.

Also, the young Suns did a nice job today of beating the Lakers, and I don't think they should be as underestimated as they are.  

And as far as some other games went, the Wizards held their own against the 76ers better than I thought they would. (Though, I have always been a fan of Russell Westbrook and appreciated the way that him and Bradley Beal helped them turn things around after an ugly start to make the playoffs).

And the Clippers are the most disappointing team in this playoffs so far IMO. I don't think they are prepared as they should be, which is a big reason why they were bounced out of bubble playoffs last year, (Even though they were one of the favorites).

Edited by Jx223
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, Jx223 said:

And the Clippers are the most disappointing team in this playoffs so far IMO. I don't think they are prepared as they should be, which is a big reason why they were bounced out of bubble playoffs last year, (Even though they were one of the favorites).

The Clippers are always disappointing. I don't think Fun Guy Kawhi is much of a team leader. 

Like the way Lebron glowered at AD and stomped his way to the locker room today, that would have scared the bejeezus out of me and I was only watching on TV. But Kawhi's response would probably have been "meh, whatever."

• Love 2

The clippers history combined with relying on Paul george as a primary go to option  equals certain playoff doom. 

The man that whined about the pacers never wanting to make moves to win couldn't carry a glass of water from a six inch deep well. 

• Love 2

While the Nets are beating the brakes off the Celtics

Grant Hill: Obviously anything can still happen, but it might be time for the Celtics to start thinking about game three.

Me: Looks like they are thinking about goin' fishin'

• LOL 2
47 minutes ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

Celtics might as well start thinking about next season and a new coach.  

The Celtics probably should have tanked their season when all those injuries started piling up. I understand why they didn't but this was always going to happen to them no matter who they played. Tatum being a covid long hauler also meant it's probably better for him to rest up in the off season.

I feel for Jayson Tatum. Covid long-haul is no joke.

(edited)

Looks like the Clippers' master plan of tanking to avoid the Lakers as long as possible isn't working out so well for them.  I'm not sure I see them winning four of the next five, especially since Kawhi and George played really well and it still wasn't enough.  Unfortunately for them Rick Carlisle is a much, much better coach than Tyronne Lue.  Kawhi can be a FA after this year (player option he'll probably opt out of), so it could easily become another Clippers horror story since they traded away most of their picks for George.

Speaking of horror stories, Chris Paul really is cursed, isn't he?  I hope he recovers for the rest of the series.

Edited by cambridgeguy
25 minutes ago, cambridgeguy said:

Looks like the Clippers' master plan of tanking to avoid the Lakers as long as possible isn't working out so well for them.  I'm not sure I see them winning four of the next five, especially since Kawhi and George played really well and it still wasn't enough.  Unfortunately for them Rick Carlisle is a much, much better coach than Tyronne Lue.  Kawhi can be a FA after this year (player option he'll probably drop), so it could easily become another Clippers horror story since they traded away most of their picks for George.

Isn't Kawhi from LA? I thought that was his driving reason for going to the Clippers in the first place. So I'd be a bit surprised if he chose to become a free agent this summer. But I would bet on him keeping a very close eye on what the organisation does to help him win next season.

2 hours ago, cambridgeguy said:

Looks like the Clippers' master plan of tanking to avoid the Lakers as long as possible isn't working out so well for them.  I'm not sure I see them winning four of the next five, especially since Kawhi and George played really well and it still wasn't enough.  Unfortunately for them Rick Carlisle is a much, much better coach than Tyronne Lue.  Kawhi can be a FA after this year (player option he'll probably opt out of), so it could easily become another Clippers horror story since they traded away most of their picks for George.

Speaking of horror stories, Chris Paul really is cursed, isn't he?  I hope he recovers for the rest of the series.

I feel horrible for Chris Paul. Every playoffs like clockwork something happens to him. I do think that the extremely rough defense that kicks into gear during the playoffs is harder and harder for his body to sustain. But Lakers/Suns is a great series. 

As for the East, just looking forward to the next round. The first round looks to be pretty much a blowout except for maybe Hawks/Knicks.

(edited)
3 hours ago, cambridgeguy said:

I agree. Luka and the Mavs are on a mission. You know they have used the Clips tanking as bulletin board material. And IMO Luka's the kind of player that can go off and steal a series just like Dame. The Clips didn't exactly run roughshod over the Mavs last year and Porzingis was injured then. 

You really just shouldn't tank, not to set up a good playoff seed. 

3 hours ago, Danny Franks said:

Isn't Kawhi from LA? I thought that was his driving reason for going to the Clippers in the first place. So I'd be a bit surprised if he chose to become a free agent this summer. But I would bet on him keeping a very close eye on what the organisation does to help him win next season.

I think he's gonna opt out no matter what cause he'll get paid more if he does. He might re-up with the Clippers then, but when you head to free agency it's always a toss up. Kawhi seems like a very deliberate guy, I think he's gonna go everywhere and see what they can offer before he just commits to the Clippers again. 

I think playing in LA was a huge draw for Kawhi, but I also think he thought he was gonna have more success there. Losing can take a toll, especially when like he came in and it was supposed to be Battle of LA, free pass to the Conference Finals, and they haven't made it there even once (this will especially sting if LeBron goes back-to-back or even makes the Finals or Conference Finals again as the 7 seed) 

One thing I think I can be sure of is that Kawhi only cares about the post season. If he thinks the Clippers aren't built to win in the post season he gone. 

Edited by Maximum Taco