Type keyword(s) to search

The NBA

xaxat
  • Start Topic

3 minutes ago, emma675 said:

I don't think Lebron was vaccinated either, which really should have pissed his teammates (and the other team) off even more.

Apropos of nothing, but round one of the playoffs for the Lakers was versus the Suns.

(edited)

I just saw a report from Shams Charania on Twitter that the Clippers fear that Kawhi may have suffered an ACL injury. If so that is really unfortunate. The injury bug has definitely been out and about in these playoffs. I wish him a healthy recovery.

I do wonder how things will shake out now with all of these injuries. If the truth about Kawhi is true, I could see the Jazz doing enough to win the series against the Clippers. And I wonder if KD can do enough to drag the Nets past the healthier Bucks team. He really was great last night and did exactly what he needed to do to get his team a much needed win.

I also hope that Chris Paul doesn't have to miss too much time.

Edited by Jx223
1 hour ago, LexieLily said:

Lots happening in the NBA this morning - Stan van Gundy (Pelicans) and Scott Brooks (Wizards) fired.

Of course, it didn't take too long to see a couple headlines saying that all parties "mutually parted ways"

I think the Bucks/Nets series is up in the air which is exciting.

Before last night I had kind of written the Nets off. Two all-stars injured, a lot of old-head veterans (Blake Griffin, Jeff Green), Bucks healthy and hungry.

But Bucks really, really needed to win that game last night. That was the best opportunity -- get the Nets down when they're hurting. They did not do that.

• Useful 1

wow...Nets vs Bucks game was super.
And to top it off, you get the play by play from Marv Albert, the all-time great voice of basketball.  Back in the day (many years ago...), all the kids would yell "YES" when they nailed a jumper.  

• Love 3

I wonder how these players with injuries, whose teams are still in the playoffs, are going to fare next season? I'm thinking Joel Embiid, Harden, Kahwi, etc. who are still trying to play through injury. Unless I'm understanding it wrong, the playoffs go through almost the end of July and the training camps for next season start in September. That's not a lot of rehab time for those players with serious injuries or injuries that might require surgery. I know it's a return to the more normal season/timing, but it still seems a little tight. Although not as bad as the break between the bubble and this season, I guess. Maybe it's just me, it seems like everything has sped up as we come out of quarantine times, lol

• Love 2
3 minutes ago, emma675 said:

I wonder how these players with injuries, whose teams are still in the playoffs, are going to fare next season? I'm thinking Joel Embiid, Harden, Kahwi, etc. who are still trying to play through injury. Unless I'm understanding it wrong, the playoffs go through almost the end of July and the training camps for next season start in September. That's not a lot of rehab time for those players with serious injuries or injuries that might require surgery. I know it's a return to the more normal season/timing, but it still seems a little tight. Although not as bad as the break between the bubble and this season, I guess. Maybe it's just me, it seems like everything has sped up as we come out of quarantine times, lol

I think teams are trying to bring these injured players back around Christmas or New Year's so they'll have a few months of recovery. But if it's something like an ACL tear that's 8-10 months no matter what. Achilles is even longer.

A stunning statline: injured, gimped up James Harden clocked more minutes than ANY BUCKS PLAYER last night. One of the biggest complaints about Bud is that he doesn't adjust for playoffs where the rotation definitely goes down and starters are expected to play more minutes. And KD played the whole 48. 

14 hours ago, Lady Whistleup said:

I knew when Giannis went for that fadeaway against limping, can-barely-walk-up-the-court Harden that he doesn't have that killer instinct.

There is video of one-legged Harden literally waving off the help double-team when he is guarding Giannis on that last possession, lol. 

• LOL 1

Ok CP3 officially has the WORST playoff luck: he tested positive for 'rona despite being vaccinated in February. 

4 minutes ago, LexieLily said:

There is video of one-legged Harden literally waving off the help double-team when he is guarding Giannis on that last possession, lol. 

It's here. You can see him waving off help. If you think about it it's a good idea though. Giannis can't shoot and he also can't make free throws. 

• Love 1
(edited)
13 minutes ago, Lady Whistleup said:

Ok CP3 officially has the WORST playoff luck: he tested positive for 'rona despite being vaccinated in February. 

Ugh, poor CP3. So what is that, the mandatory 10-14 day quarantine? The Western Conference Finals would start on Sunday (five days from now) if the Clippers-Jazz series ends in six games or less.

ETA: "The Suns say that Chris Paul has entered the league’s health and safety protocols, and that his status will next be updated on Saturday."

ETA, again: Sources close to the situation confirmed CP3's positive test happened Monday. Which means he's already 2-3 days into this.

Edited by LexieLily
24 minutes ago, Carey said:

Well, I guess the NBA is still testing people despite being vaccinated.  No way this happens to LeBron or someone almost as epic

He might be feeling under the weather. AZ has somewhat low vaccination rates which means viral load will be higher.

(edited)

Usual CDC protocols is not having to quarantine when you come into contact with a covid positive person if you’re fully vaccinated so I don’t understand why CP3 needs to quarantine at all. If anything they may test him for a few days and if he’s negative he’s clear to play game one. If he has covid then that’s another story, and it seems as if they are pretty quiet at this point with why he’s under safety protocols so I’m guessing he tested positive.

Edited by twoods
  • Useful 1
2 hours ago, Lady Whistleup said:

Oh man, that sucks. Hopefully since he's vaccinated he's not having many, if any, side effects. I'm vaccinated but I still worry about catching it somehow. Stupid Covid, go away already!

Dallas media is reporting that the Mavs and GM Donnie Nelson have parted ways. Next season is going to be interesting. 

• Love 2
39 minutes ago, twoods said:

Usual CDC protocols is not having to quarantine when you come into contact with a covid positive person if you’re fully vaccinated so I don’t understand why CP3 needs to quarantine at all. If anything they may test him for a few days and if he’s negative he’s clear to play game one. If he has covid then that’s another story, and it seems as if they are pretty quiet at this point with why he’s under safety protocols so I’m guessing he tested positive.

You can still catch it, but chances are it would have a negative effect on oneself or someone else that's in the clear.  OTOH you have to follow typical practices around getting the vaccine or else it won't be effective.

Maybe I haven't been paying attention, but I don't recall CP3 saying he received the vaccine himself.  Jalen saying it but Paul saying nothing does nothing.  If Chris did get it but chose to keep it quiet from the league, then I would think he would be subject to the same stuff that someone that hasn't been vaccinated

ETA: real Wednesday massacre at the Mavs' FO. GM Donnie Nelson AND the "shadow GM" Haralabos Voulgaris both out. Rick Carlisle rumored to be out. Porzingis going to be traded. 

In other news someone made this meme and I thought it was cute:

jmrq3uzl5m571.jpg

• LOL 2

The Sun's said that CP3 was vaxxed in February. Sports reporter close to the Sun's FO said so.

Okay thanks.  I think that it's messed up that there's nothing Chris Paul or anyone can do.  This isn't comparable to Jon Rahm

The Sun's said that CP3 was vaxxed in February. Sports reporter close to the Sun's FO said so.

Okay thanks.  I think that it's messed up that there's nothing Chris Paul or anyone can do.  This isn't comparable to Jon Rahm.  It sucks if they're testing everyone, but if that's their policy, I have to respect them for following their own policy even if it means CP3 is out

• Love 1
10 minutes ago, Carey said:

Okay thanks.  I think that it's messed up that there's nothing Chris Paul or anyone can do.  This isn't comparable to Jon Rahm.  It sucks if they're testing everyone, but if that's their policy, I have to respect them for following their own policy even if it means CP3 is out

Well Jalen Rose who is close to CP3 says CP3 doesn't expect to be out long. Still sucks for him. Every year during playoffs something happens to him. 

In other news it's still shit on the Bucks day. Kareem said he doesn't think this Bucks team has what it takes:

27 minutes ago, Lady Whistleup said:

Well Jalen Rose who is close to CP3 says CP3 doesn't expect to be out long. Still sucks for him. Every year during playoffs something happens to him. 

I personally hope that he isn't out, period.  Not something I'm betting on, but if his follow up testing goes well, he will be cleared to play sooner rather than later.

BTW, I'm not doubting on what Rose said about CP3 behind a computer let alone to him.  Sometimes the best source is the source, but the Suns and Jalen said what they said and I'm believing it before I don't.  However, I'm more aware of what Covid and the vaccine is all about than at least several.  That's based on what I do.  Helps that I hear everything out (and do research) as opposed to believing on side and/or the other.

The sad thing is that I was expecting something to happen to CP3.  Wasn't sure what (maybe the return of a previous injury), but I was expecting something

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Carey said:

You can still catch it, but chances are it would have a negative effect on oneself or someone else that's in the clear.  OTOH you have to follow typical practices around getting the vaccine or else it won't be effective.

Maybe I haven't been paying attention, but I don't recall CP3 saying he received the vaccine himself.  Jalen saying it but Paul saying nothing does nothing.  If Chris did get it but chose to keep it quiet from the league, then I would think he would be subject to the same stuff that someone that hasn't been vaccinated

I know that, but the CDC protocol is no testing or quarantine if you’re vaccinated and have been around someone, even if there is the low likelihood of you getting it. I’m surprised the NBA doesn’t follow it, but they may just be playing safe since the Suns are not currently playing. I’m sure he will back by game 1.

So the Bucks reddit forum has been in a huge debate.

The two positions:

1) Bud is a trash coach and Giannis a trash closer and there's no excuse for losing last night's game

vs.

2) KD just went thermonuclear and there's nothing you can do when a player like that decides to go OFF

In other news Joel Embiid is having a great game.

20 minutes ago, twoods said:

I know that, but the CDC protocol is no testing or quarantine if you’re vaccinated and have been around someone,

They are following the NBA protocol that was created last December before there were any approved vaccines.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

Things are pretty similar to how businesses operate.  Things are opening up and rules are becoming less strict.  However, several businesses are still respecting the times we are in and are following the rules that were in place for the past year.  Several places have updated things to where masking and social distancing isn't required, but it's not something that occurred right away

(edited)

I think it's good that the NBA is following more cautious protocols because the 'rona can be very  insidious in that at first the symptoms are mild but get worse and linger. Jayson Tatum, Derrick Rose and Russell Westbrook all spoke about how it got really bad for them and Tatum still sometimes needs an inhaler.

These guys use their lung capacity so much as part of their job that it's better to be safe than sorry.

In other news, I feel so bad for Ben Simmons. His confidence at the line is totally wrecked. Shooting 2-10 tonight so far. Ouch.

Edited by Lady Whistleup
(edited)

Holy shit.

Just when you think the Bucks had the ultimate fourth quarter meltdown, Philly's like "hold our beer" ... Unbelievable to watch in real time.

I also hope Ben Simmons (4-14 at the line) has a very strong support system because this is the sort of game that can kill all confidence.

At least the Bucks can say they lost due to an epic thermonuclear effort from Kevin Durant. The Sixers lost to ... Trae Young and Lou Williams ... 

Edited by Lady Whistleup
  • Useful 1
4 minutes ago, Lady Whistleup said:

Holy shit.

Just when you think the Bucks had the ultimate fourth quarter meltdown, Philly's like "hold our beer" ... Unbelievable to watch in real time.

I also hope Ben Simmons (4-14 at the line) has a very strong support system because this is the sort of game that can kill all confidence.

At least the Bucks can say they lost due to an epic thermonuclear effort from Kevin Durant. The Sixers lost to ... Trae Young and Lou Williams ... 

That was...the second epic second-half collapse in the last two games for Philly. Maybe they will somehow manage to outdo themselves in Game 6 and blow a 30+ point lead in the fourth.

• Love 1

I'm a Sixers fan who has been watching them going back to the eighties when The Finals was on network tape delay.

This is the worst defeat I have seen.                         

• Love 1
Just now, xaxat said:

I'm a Sixers fan who has been watching them going back to the eighties when The Finals was on network tape delay.

This is the worst defeat I have seen.                         

Last night's choke was kind of entertaining. There was KD going thermonuclear. There was gimpy, one-legged James Harden tricking Giannis. There was a crowd going fucking nuts. You could tell that some of the Bucks were just in awe at the skill of KD.

Tonight's choke was so ugly. The Hawks didn't even do anything special on defense other than hack Ben at every opportunity. Lou Williams and Trae Young's buckets don't have the silky swooshiness of KD's buckets. Joel Embiid might have self-owned because all the flopping he did to draw fouls left him visibly limping by the end of the game. And finally Embiid bricking both free throws ... That was ugly ugly basketball. 

(edited)
11 minutes ago, LexieLily said:

If Philly and Milwaukee both go out this round, who gets fired first: Bud or Doc? 

Same time. Before the teams even walk into the tunnel.

ETA: this is funny:

Edited by Lady Whistleup
  • LOL 8

I meant to post this before the Sixers/Hawks game, but I think a bet on Atlanta to win it all would've been a great one since the "predicted" winner has changed drastically and rapidly with so many injuries and whatever else.  Went from Utah to Brooklyn, and from Milwaukee to LAC to Phoenix and then back to the Nets.

Too bad a Hawks bet to win out isn't worth anything anymore!

• LOL 1

And the Jazz are the latest team that doesn't actually want to win. This was the game for them to put the Clippers away. Kawhi blew out his knee, all that energy from the home crowd, off to a hot start, and then ... fourth quarter foolishness from the Jazz.

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, Lady Whistleup said:

And the Jazz are the latest team that doesn't actually want to win. This was the game for them to put the Clippers away. Kawhi blew out his knee, all that energy from the home crowd, off to a hot start, and then ... fourth quarter foolishness from the Jazz.

If they can take this to a Game 7, though, that's good news for CP3.

(edited)
39 minutes ago, Lady Whistleup said:

Paul George didn't throw the away like I thought he would. Good for him. Now, lets see him do it again in Game 6 when it really counts.

3 hours ago, Lady Whistleup said:

Holy shit.

Somehow, I'm not surprised by Ben Simmons flat out choking tonight (especially at the free throw line). Zion Williamson made more 3 pointers in his NBA Debut than Ben Simmons did in his entire career. I'm also pretty certain that if it was Zion Williamson in that same position, he would of made those free throws. 

As for the Sixers, they're going to lose Game 6. I don't know how they're going to get back up from this collapse (blowing a 26 point lead).

3 hours ago, Maximum Taco said:

Hawks are coldblooded. That was hard to watch, but that's what villains do. Rip out hearts. 

I don't know how the Hawks are now the villains. The real villains is that team that couldn't beat the Grizzlies in the NBA Play-in this season. I also find Trae Young more likable than Steph Curry.

Edited by Magog
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, Maximum Taco said:

Hawks are coldblooded. That was hard to watch, but that's what villains do. Rip out hearts. 

I totally thought about you while yelling at the game during the first 3 quarters. I get to attend game 6 and I'm so excited. I would love if Hawks win 6 but I think it will go to 7. 

• Love 1
(edited)
5 hours ago, Magog said:

I don't know how the Hawks are now the villains. The real villains is that team that couldn't beat the Grizzlies in the NBA Play-in this season. I also find Trae Young more likable than Steph Curry.

The Hawks have always been the villains. You just didn't notice. Every good villain knows how to make a surprise entrance. 

71989095.jpg

Those other guys most definitely were villains, but they were defeated in 2019 by our heroes... and timely injuries. We need new villains this season. I'm sure those other guys will be back though, a villain always comes back. 

I also find Trae Young very likable, but likability does not necessarily detract from villainy. 

4 hours ago, Court said:

I totally thought about you while yelling at the game during the first 3 quarters. I get to attend game 6 and I'm so excited. I would love if Hawks win 6 but I think it will go to 7. 

It'll probably go to 7. No villain can resist the siren call of a do-or-die battle. But I'll be hoping you get to see a win on Friday. Let's Go Hawks!

Edited by Maximum Taco
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, Magog said:

Paul George didn't throw the away like I thought he would. Good for him. Now, lets see him do it again in Game 6 when it really counts.

I'm pretty sure Game 5, on the road, in a 2-2 series really counts too. 

• Love 1
6 hours ago, NUguy514 said:

Yes, but I'm pretty sure you'd find the devil himself more likable than Steph.😉

I think @Magog mistook Steph Curry for Ted Bundy lol. 

CP3 really is cursed. Of the 168 'rona tests done this week, only CP3 tested positive.

I'm really trying to decide which meltdown was the saddest:

- Bucks pissing away a lead to a team that had a point guard who couldn't even move

- Sixers pissing away a 26 point lead to ... Lou Williams

- Jazz pissing away a lead ... Reggie Jackson?

• Love 1
40 minutes ago, emmawoodhouse said:

Rick Carlisle quit. Dallas is a mess.

It's going to be a very interesting summer in Dallas. I think the Mavs are happy it's almost NFL training camp season so fans can start complaining about the Cowboys again, lol. 

• LOL 6
6 hours ago, Lady Whistleup said:

Chatter is Zion Williamson wants out of New Orleans too.

Does Zion himself want out or is it just his family that wants him out? I've only heard that Family Williamson is upset with New Orleans.

• Useful 1