Type keyword(s) to search

The NBA

xaxat
  • Start Topic

Two things I'll hope for tonight: Dallas winning outright or Minnesota winning by at least 7 or 10 points.  Especially the former, because I do not want a situation where someone other than Minnesota being responsible for denying Dallas of a 4-game sweep.

It's basketball, but I saw what the ultimate outcome was last year when Miami was one win away from the double sweep within the league's conference finals

I wish this Mavs team had shown up in game 4 and ended the series at home, but I'll take it! I do think we're going to get clobbered by Boston, but it's fun to be in the NBA championship series for the first time in 13 years.

Sometimes (at least sometimes) laughing is a good thing.  However, it has to be natural, so to best get there, I went to Old Takes Exposed

This is still the best or second best Minnesota team of all time, but they should have just lost game 4.  Getting blown out at home is embarrassing - while it's not as bad, they should call up Chris Paul, Devin Booker, and Monty Williams to see what might await them.

Boston is a six-point favorite and I don't know if I'm a complete fan of that number.  Especially with Porzingis.  I'd probably go moneyline for the East champions if he's there or go with Dallas & the points.

While I'd pick Boston more than Dallas for the win, I actually could see either team winning.  Dallas has proven everyone wrong, and maybe they're better than advertised.  Boston was better than advertised, and they crushed their conference this year.  Someone, however, made a Big 12 comparison where they look decent because of the level of competition, so maybe it's not far fetched that Dallas might win out.  I imagine Boston has to since their conference shouldn't be worse next year, and I don't think everyone in it will be injured at the same time

11 hours ago, emma675 said:

I wish this Mavs team had shown up in game 4 and ended the series at home, but I'll take it! I do think we're going to get clobbered by Boston, but it's fun to be in the NBA championship series for the first time in 13 years.

I think the Mavericks are going to beat the Celtics. I'm forever indebted to Kyrie Irving, so by default, I'm rooting for the Mavericks Besides, the Celtics failed me a couple of yrs ago by losing to those Warriors. So now, I want them to fail against the Mavericks This time, I'll be happy if they lose to the Mavericks.

A Celtics parade is not going to be much fun to watch. It'll be somewhat enjoyable watching a Mavericks parade. Especially seeing Jerry Jones, Stephen Jones, & the Cowboys being very very salty watching it. 

As for the Timberwolves, I'm was really starting to enjoy that Bring Ya Ass slogan that Anthony Edwards started. Sadly, it had to come to an end last night. Hopefully, Anthony Edwards & the Timberwolves learned something from this Playoff run & try to take that next step next season. Hopefully him & the Timberwolves will not be a flash in a pan type of team next season & bneyond. I expect a lot more from them next season.

• Like 1

Boston should be favored, but I do think the East was weak too. And they can't count on Dallas beating themselves, like the Pacers did. 

If everyone's shooting well, these games are going to be in the 130s.

• Like 3
(edited)

Finally, the NBA Finals starts tonight on ABC. Yay. 😒 Their coverage is going to be absolute garbage & I know that they're rooting for the Celtics.

I have been ignoring the NBA for a week since the Conference Finals ended & I felt like I didn't miss very much. 

Other than the NBA possibly not being on TNT after next season (which will make me very very sad on so many levels), there hasn't been anything newsworthy about the NBA.

Speaking of stuff not being newsworthy, LeBron was in the news on ESPN (😒)for the past few days. First, he wasn't happy that he & Kyrie couldn't worked it out in Cleveland after the 2016 Championship (😞). Then it was him & JJ Redick doing that stupid Podcast (that is not worth your time) with JJ Redick (😒) possibly being the next Lakers Head Coach. Today, the Lakers are looking at UCONN great coach Dan Hurley to be the next Lakers coach. 

Frankly other than money (which I'm sure he has plenty of that) I don't know why would Dan Hurley would want anything to do with LeBron & the Lakers.

Edited by Magog
  • Like 3
45 minutes ago, Magog said:

Frankly other than money (which I'm sure he has plenty of that) I don't know why would Dan Hurley would want anything to do with LeBron & the Lakers.

Ego.  Successful people in pro sports (among other professions) aren't the type to be satisfied with their past success and they're the last people to realize their own shortcomings.  

That being said, Coach K faced the same choice 20 years ago and wisely stayed at Duke.  An elite college coach is the face of the program and can force players to do things his way.  A star NBA player will just demand a trade if they're unhappy with the coach because they know they have more leverage. 

• Like 3
(edited)

I wonder if any network has ever complained about the Dallas uniforms? That with their standard game play camera shots you can't make out the Dallas uniform numbers

Edited by Raja
  • Like 1
(edited)

Game 1 was fun to watch last night. 😒

11 hours ago, Raja said:

I wonder if any networked has ever complained about the Dallas uniforms? That with their standard game play camera shots you can't make out the Dallas uniform numbers

They ought to be complaining about their very sucky performance last night. It was 63-42 at halftime & it was pretty much over. Since these Finals are on ABC, I basically took a nice 2 hour nap at halftime & it was more productive than the Mavericks last night. Hopefully Game 2 will be better & the Mavericks will actually show up.

Edited by Magog
  • Like 2
On 6/6/2024 at 7:48 AM, baldryanr said:

An elite college coach is the face of the program and can force players to do things his way.  A star NBA player will just demand a trade if they're unhappy with the coach because they know they have more leverage. 

Things have changed a lot in recent years. College players can just enter the transfer portal if they're not happy with the coach.

11 hours ago, Magog said:

Since these Finals are on ABC, I basically took a nice 2 hour nap at halftime & it was more productive than the Mavericks last night. Hopefully Game 2 will be better & the Mavericks will actually show up.

I don't think it's so much that the Mavericks played badly as it is that Boston has terrific defense and stayed disciplined. CBS Sports has a terrific in-depth breakdown on it. It will be interesting to see how the Mavs counter the defensive plan in the next game.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
On 6/6/2024 at 6:12 PM, Raja said:

I wonder if any network has ever complained about the Dallas uniforms? That with their standard game play camera shots you can't make out the Dallas uniform numbers

So the Celtics are in the black uniforms for game 2. The green letters come out a bit better than the Mavericks blue did. But just a little bit.

The Mavericks put up a much better effort tonight than in Game 1. But sadly for them, the Celtics defense got the job done in the 4th Quarter to win Game 2 105-98. Yay.😒

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Marley said:

As much as I want Boston to lose Dallas really has no chance.

Yeah, even though Luka's the best player the Celtics have five of the next six on the list.  Even worse, Tatum has been pretty lousy in the first two games (6 for 16 in game 1, 6 for 22 in game 2).  If he starts playing like his usual self then the Mavs are going to be destroyed unless Luke and Kyrie both go nuclear.

• Like 2
(edited)
1 hour ago, DoctorAtomic said:

I wouldn't be surprised to see it 2-2, but Luka and Kyrie need to be lights out. And Dallas can't get down 10 and have to spent the whole game clawing back. 

If it has any chance of being 2-2, the Mavericks have better win Game 3 on Wednesday Night. Otherwise, it'll probably be a sweep if they lose on Wednesday. Besides, ESPN is probably hoping the Celtics beat them again in Game 3 since they're on the Celtics bandwagon. 

Dan Hurley is going to decide in a day or two on whether he should take the Lakers coaching job. Hopefully, he will tell the Lakers, thank you for the job offer. But, no thank you.

UPDATE: Dan Hurley did the right thing & said thanks, but no thanks to the Lakers. The Lakers offered a 6yrs - $70 Million contract to him & he said no. Now, the Lakers are now to trying to drag Jay Wright to this mess.

Edited by Magog

I think it's hard to find anyone who has had such a large impact on the game.  One of the best players ever and even better as a front office guy. 

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

White numbers on Dallas today, thank you. Not until ABC gave a close up in Boston  could I make out Irving by his shoe color and when Boston went into black I could only make out Holiday because his braids bounced.

Maybe the camera position is better in Dallas?

(edited)

😒 

This series is basically over. Celtics 106 - Mavericks 99.

The Mavericks came out like gang busters for a change by leading by 13 points at the start. Then the Celtics caught up & it was a 51-50 halftime score. Then the Celtics left the Mavericks in the dust by the end of the 3rd Quarter (91-70). The Mavericks tried like hell to catch up & was down by 2 with a minute to go. The Celtics made some clutch baskets & got it done again on defense to get the win. 

Edited by Magog
  • Like 2

If the Celtics close it out, Joe Mazzulla will become only the 7th black head coach to win the NBA championship. 4 of them will have done it for the Celtics. 

• Like 3
  • Useful 5

I'm happy. First, because fuck Kyrie Irving, and second, because Boston plays as an unselfish team and competes both directions. The defensive effort is something to behold. I love how in this era it is no longer enough to just have a superstar or two carrying the team. More than ever, teamwork matters.

• Like 4
  • Applause 3
2 hours ago, Black Knight said:

I'm happy. First, because fuck Kyrie Irving, and second, because Boston plays as an unselfish team and competes both directions. The defensive effort is something to behold. I love how in this era it is no longer enough to just have a superstar or two carrying the team. More than ever, teamwork matters.

The best thing about the Celtics is their lack of ego. They don't care who the best player on the team is. One night it's Jaylon Brown the next it's Jayson Tatum and the next it could be someone else. Kyrie doesn't want to go back to Boston.

• Like 4
(edited)
7 hours ago, kathyk2 said:

The best thing about the Celtics is their lack of ego. They don't care who the best player on the team is. One night it's Jaylon Brown the next it's Jayson Tatum and the next it could be someone else. Kyrie doesn't want to go back to Boston.

As much as I hate to admit it, you’re right. Zero ego, from the players to coaches, and it’s a well built team who didn’t falter when one of their stars got hurt. Still, blah on them. Wish it was a better, more competitive series. 

Edited by twoods
  • Like 4

A question for y'all.
It appears that Doncic fouls on most plays. The defender takes up the standard posture...knees bent, arms spread.  Doncic then deliberately pounds his left shoulder into the defender.  Not just a bump...he  bangs into the defender.  Several times.  Then pushes the defender away with his left are and heads to the basket.
Is this legal these days?

Yes. The forearm push to generate space rarely gets called. Watch some of the Joker's highlights. He's way more of a culprit since he's so big. 

I don't think it's a big deal tbh. I don't want to see tons of whistles on offensive fouls all the time. I think they call moving screens way too much. 

I would prefer they bring back the handcheck to even it out a little, but I don't want to see a return to the 90s. I think the game is actually quite good right now.

• Like 1

The Celtics didn't feel like sweeping the Mavericks tonight & pretty much took the night off. They only scored 35 points at halftime & its currently 78-47 in the middle of the 3rd Quarter. Frankly, the Mavericks are going to get a one handed applause from me for their performance tonight.

• Like 1

Let's hope Chuck changes his mind

While I think there are other people who can do a good job, I can't think of anyone who brings his unique blend of talents.  Draymond's not it - he just comes off as an asshole.  Chuck has his asshole moments as well, but he has that goofball quality to balance it out.

• Like 7

I hope Charles changes his mind also.  Without the TNT coverage, especially Inside the NBA, I've lost interest in the rest of the playoffs.  I can't imagine what the league is thinking if TNT is left with no coverage.  The show has won I think 18 emmys?  If Charles and Ernie in particular aren't there it won't be the same.

• Like 4

I'm just flat out sleepwalking through this game tonight. Right now, its Celtics 86 - Mavericks 67 at the end of the 3rd Quarter. Yay. 😒

1 hour ago, Magog said:

I'm just flat out sleepwalking through this game tonight. Right now, its Celtics 86 - Mavericks 67 at the end of the 3rd Quarter. Yay. 😒

I think you mean YAY! I would have liked a game on my birthday but I'm glad they won tonight. Al Horford was the first player from the Dominican Republic to win an NBA title.

• Applause 1

Well, I sort of thought it would be funny if the Celtics lost the championship because it would've sent Bill Simmons into a depression, but he's ultimately pretty benign.  Really, I wanted the Mavericks to lose because Kyrie Irving is such a horrible human and Luka Doncic is an asshole.  Worse luck next year, you choads!  The Celtics really were a MUCH better team, and this title was greatly earned.

• Like 1
  • Applause 2
1 minute ago, NUguy514 said:

Well, I sort of thought it would be funny if the Celtics lost the championship because it would've sent Bill Simmons into a depression, but he's ultimately pretty benign.  Really, I wanted the Mavericks to lose because Kyrie Irving is such a horrible human and Luka Doncic is an asshole.  Worse luck next year, you choads!  The Celtics really were a MUCH better team, and this title was greatly earned.

I have nothing against Luka but I can't stand Kyrie. He never should have saged Boston Garden.

• Like 1

They should disinfect the Garden now to clear the air of Kyrie.

Joe Mazzulla is a genuine weirdo, and we really weren't sold on him at the beginning of this season, but you can't fault him at all for anything at all this season.

Entire Celtics rotation is signed for next year, though it would surprise no one if Horford retired. Porzingis is fragile, Jrue isn't that young, but it's as good of a situation for a defense as you can ask for.

With Horford getting a ring, James Harden becomes the player who's played in the most postseason games without winning a ring.

• Like 1
(edited)

The Celtics are the 2024 NBA Champions. Yay. 😒

They won the game last night in a walk in a park. I'm sure that ESPN was very happy with that win last night. 

10 hours ago, kathyk2 said:

Al Horford was the first player from the Dominican Republic to win an NBA title.

I did not know that. Good for him for finally winning one. Also, good for Porzingis for finally winning one after his struggles in the NBA.. I don't know if Carmelo Anthony was still on the Knicks in 2015 when he got drafted by them. But, there goes another reason for him to be very salty right now. BTW, with Porzingis being an NBA Champion, he's the first Latvian to win an NBA Title.

10 hours ago, NUguy514 said:

Really, I wanted the Mavericks to lose because Kyrie Irving is such a horrible human and Luka Doncic is an asshole.  Worse luck next year, you choads! 

Shouldn't we be saving that type of anger for the Lakers, Jordan Poole, Steph (especially) & those Warriors, & especially the Knicks?

9 hours ago, Fukui San said:

With Horford getting a ring, James Harden becomes the player who's played in the most postseason games without winning a ring.

Thankfully, we won't have to worry about him ever winning it all next season or ever. It'll be very unpleasant if he ever wins a Championship.

Anyway, with the win last night (yay 😒) the Celtics now have 18 & the Lakers have 17. Yuck on both. There is no reason what so ever to feel sad for the Lakers & most of their crummy fans because of last night. The Laker fans should be downright disgusted at their ownership at this moment. 

Edited by Magog
2 hours ago, Magog said:

Shouldn't we be saving that type of anger for the Lakers, Jordan Poole, Steph (especially) & those Warriors, & especially the Knicks?

You know I love the Warriors and Steph!  I would marry Steph if he asked, and we'd have a beautiful life together!❤️

The Knicks never win anyway, so what's the point of hating?  It's more fun to laugh at them.

I have plenty of hate in my heart for the Lakers, though, don't you worry!

• Like 4
  • Applause 2