Type keyword(s) to search

The NBA

xaxat
  • Start Topic

So with tonight's loss to the Blazers the Lakers are now in 7th place so as of now, LePlayin is happening ...

Meanwhile Lebron has been so disgusted with the Lakers he's not even watching games on the sidelines anymore. 

On 5/8/2021 at 12:59 AM, emmawoodhouse said:

It's been fun watching the Lakers implode. 

And hearing lebron whine.  

'the play in sucks ....now that I'm in it.  Who came up with this idea?   Wahhhh.....some other superstar come join me so I can win again !'

• LOL 5
  • Love 2
(edited)

Russell Westbrook surpassed Oscar Robertson in the triple-double race last night.

the NBA made a nice video congratulating him. Oscar Robertson looks good for an 80-something year old.

Edited by Lady Whistleup
  • Love 4
On 5/9/2021 at 6:31 PM, Lady Whistleup said:

Warriors-Lakers in the play in should be fun though. Steph dragging his injured, mediocre team into playoff contention has been a fun storyline.

It'll be even more fun if those Warriors lose in the Play-In Game to whoever they're playing. 

I would rather walk on a field of cactus barefoot than root for those Warriors in the Play-In game & Playoffs. 

I rather see the Pelicans get in that Play-In game & win it, but it looks like its not going to happen. Zion Williamson is very easy to root for & fun to watch. He's not at all irritating like Stephen Curry is. 

The Sixers announced today that they are moving to 50% capacity at their arena for the playoffs. I haven't been able to tell if that's just them or if other NBA teams will follow suit (if they haven't already). And LA county announced they expect to have herd immunity by July. I wonder if next season will look more like a normal one?

• Love 1
1 hour ago, emma675 said:

The Sixers announced today that they are moving to 50% capacity at their arena for the playoffs. I haven't been able to tell if that's just them or if other NBA teams will follow suit (if they haven't already). And LA county announced they expect to have herd immunity by July. I wonder if next season will look more like a normal one?

They made the change after the state of Pennsylvania raised occupancy rules. Fifty percent is the maximum for indoor sports venues. MSG (Knicks) and Barclays (Nets) are also limited by government regulations. I don't know about states where governors have removed restrictions.

I read somewhere that the league is planning for full occupancy for 2021-2022.

• Useful 2
16 hours ago, Lady Whistleup said:

Tough OT loss for the Knicks last night.

Yeah, this road series always looked like a tough prospect - Rockets, Grizzlies, Nuggets, Suns, Clippers, Lakers - They went 3-3, which they'd probably have been happy with, but now they find themselves in a three-way fight for that fourth seed.

They have to win out and hope the Heat drop a game, due to the tiebreaker. It looks doable, but that Celtics game will be big.

• Love 2
8 hours ago, Danny Franks said:

Yeah, this road series always looked like a tough prospect - Rockets, Grizzlies, Nuggets, Suns, Clippers, Lakers - They went 3-3, which they'd probably have been happy with, but now they find themselves in a three-way fight for that fourth seed.

They have to win out and hope the Heat drop a game, due to the tiebreaker. It looks doable, but that Celtics game will be big.

The Heat have a tough schedule left -- they have to play the Sixers and Bucks. The Celtics are melting down a bit -- they're wrecked with injuries. 

I really like the play-in concept. The Western play in should be fun.

I'm watching the HOF ceremony right now and inductee Tim Duncan just finished speaking.  I'd never heard him speak before, and he always looked kinda shy to me.  Surprisingly, he's very engaging.  They showed his wife, two daughters and son and the younger daughter was so cute, pulling her mask down so you could see her smiling face. 😊

And now on to Kobe...😢 

• Love 2
46 minutes ago, Crashcourse said:

Tim Duncan is 45, so I would expect some gray hairs and I thought he looked fine.  I was surprised with the braids though.

David Robinson on the other hand is ageless. My god ...

E1YyYKFVgAIDcFL?format=jpg&name=large

Kevin Garnett looked really good too.

E1ZTr_6XMAAXNfV?format=jpg&name=large

• Love 3
(edited)

Interesting final night ...

Denver is openly tanking the game against the Blazers to put the Lakers in the play-in. That one's straightforward.

Clippers also throwing their final game to avoid a Lakers matchup. However, they are against OKC who is also trying to lose. 

Meanwhile Mavs tanked to play the Nuggets? I actually got confused why the Mavs were trying to lose.

I've never seen so many teams so eager to lose.

ETA: Clippers finally lost after some serious tanking efforts. 

Edited by Lady Whistleup
  • Useful 1
(edited)
1 hour ago, cambridgeguy said:

And the NBA gets what it wanted - the Lakers/GSW play in game.  Will Steph go nuclear?  Will people who hate LeBron get a chance to revel in it (you know, Jordan never would have let this happen....)?

More like ESPN got what they want. They may root for both the Lakers & those Warriors. But, I'm absolutely certain that they're rooting for their man Stephen Curry & those Warriors. And in a surprise to nobody, ESPN is airing the game Wednesday Night.

I would rather fall into a pool of sharp cactus barefeet & head first than root for Stephen Curry & those scummy Warriors.

BTW, ESPN also got what they want as Stephen Curry won the scoring title. Yay (eyeroll in disgust).

Tuesday Night on TNT

9-10 East: Charlotte at Indiana 6:30pm

7-8 East: Washington at Boston 9pm

Wednesday Night on ESPN

9-10 West: San Antonio at Memphis 7:30pm

7-8 West: Lakers at Golden State 10pm

Thursday Night on TNT

East loser of 7-8 game vs winner of 9-10 game 8pm

Friday Night on ESPN

West loser of 7-8 game vs winner 9-10 game TBD

Edited by Magog
6 minutes ago, Magog said:

I would rather fall into a pool of sharp cactus barefeet & head first than root for Stephen Curry & those scummy Warriors.

What makes them scummy?

• Love 3
(edited)
30 minutes ago, xaxat said:

What makes them scummy?

Steph being Steph & ESPN always showing favoritism towards him & those Warriors. They always root for them.

I root for the Cavaliers since 2003 (LeBron's rookie year & the franchise wasn't worth a damn at the time.) & I still root for them to this day. Hopefully, Collin Sexton & Darius Garland can make that next step next season & start winning games to become Playoff contenders.

At first, I was irritated when they lost to them in the 2015 Finals. But, my absolute disgust for him & those Warriors didn't start till they got to that 24-0 start the next season & I have ESPN gushing about it every night. I have to be remind of that & the Cavs losing to them in the Finals on a nightly basis. That's what made 2016 victory so much sweeter. I know that Stephen A Smith is still very angry about that since he also roots for the Warriors & his anger about that puts a smile on my face.

Then KD had to go them & made me despise him, Steph, & those Warriors even more. I hate the Golden State Warriors as much as I hate the Dallas Cowboys.

The only player I like on those Warriors is Draymond Green. I can never get mad at him. He's a very good player, made watching those Warriors press conferences tolerable, & he doesn't irritate me like the rest of those Warriors. He is also very classy.

Edited by Magog
48 minutes ago, Magog said:

Steph being Steph & ESPN always showing favoritism towards him & those Warriors. They always root for them.

Huh.  That's funny because I could say the same thing about LeBron and those Lakers.

• Love 9

I can't wait for the Lakers/GSW play in game. I hope Steph Curry goes off and GS wins by a huge margin. Lebron has shown such a nasty side of his personality this season for me (I know it's been around for ages, but it was really evident for me this season, for some reason) and I feel bad for his teammates. He tried to throw Solomon Hill under the bus for injuring his ankle when it was just a freak accident during a play, deliberately shoved Joel Embiid while he was in the air and had no way to defend/save himself, and has shown little support for his teammates from the bench. His bad attitude just seems so much more egregious this year. 

• Love 7
(edited)
8 minutes ago, emma675 said:

I can't wait for the Lakers/GSW play in game. I hope Steph Curry goes off and GS wins by a huge margin. Lebron has shown such a nasty side of his personality this season for me (I know it's been around for ages, but it was really evident for me this season, for some reason) and I feel bad for his teammates. He tried to throw Solomon Hill under the bus for injuring his ankle when it was just a freak accident during a play, deliberately shoved Joel Embiid while he was in the air and had no way to defend/save himself, and has shown little support for his teammates from the bench. His bad attitude just seems so much more egregious this year. 

well in all fairness ... the rest of the Lakers ignore him too. I noticed that the chummy scenes he used to have with AD barely happened this year even when both were on the bench nursing injuries. And after games the Lakers all walk away from each other. The chemistry on the team seems frosty and cold, whether they win or lose.

I kind of hope for an epic Lakers/GSW showdown in the play-in tournament. I will also laugh my ass off if after all those tanking efforts by the Clips and Nuggets to put the Lakers in the play-in tournament that the Lakers lose both games. Probably won't happen but still.

Kyrie entered the elite 50/40/90 club. His coach Steve Nash and KD are also members of that club. Congrats Kyrie!

Edited by Lady Whistleup
  • Love 2
(edited)
10 hours ago, xaxat said:

What makes them scummy?

Nothing, as far as I can tell. Other than them daring to upset the NBA applecart by being good while not being the Lakers, Celtics or Bulls.

Especially not Steph himself, who seems to be a decent, honest, generous man with a lovely family and a squeaky clean image. As well as multiple MVP awards, Championship rings and now scoring titles to his name.

Compared to some of the genuine scumbags who have played in the NBA, it's absolutely crazy to cast any kind of aspersions against him.

My dream finals right now - Knicks vs Warriors. It would a hilarious upset of the odds, and testament to Steph's transcendent ability to score and drag his team by the scruff of its neck, and of the Knicks' never-say-die attitude and toughness.

If we end up with the Nets vs the Lakers - the battle of the mercenary, would-be super teams  - then everyone loses. But if the Nets win it will be a travesty. A lunatic flat-earther, a man who is so sensitive he creates burner accounts to attack anyone who calls him sensitive and cannot abide anyone claiming he can't win on his own (despite him ensuring he never has to), and a guy who quit on his team and demanded to be traded after said team had sold its future down the river to keep him happy.

Edited by Danny Franks
  • Love 9
10 hours ago, Danny Franks said:

My dream finals right now - Knicks vs Warriors. It would a hilarious upset of the odds, and testament to Steph's transcendent ability to score and drag his team by the scruff of its neck, and of the Knicks' never-say-die attitude and toughness.

Anything that would give James Dolan a reason to emerge is a bad thing. 

Plus anyone who hates Kyrie Irving should read Deadspin - they love the guy.  There's more to him than just a weirdo who checks out from time to time even if he isn't the saint they like to make him out to be.

35 minutes ago, Maximum Taco said:

I gotta say, I didn't think I'd be hyped for the play in tournament, but I'm pretty excited to have 2 days of high stakes basketball. 

Hope we see some upsets. 

Predictions:

East:

Hornets and Wizards will get the play-in spots

West:

Lakers and Warriors get the play-in spots

1 hour ago, Maximum Taco said:

I gotta say, I didn't think I'd be hyped for the play in tournament, but I'm pretty excited to have 2 days of high stakes basketball. 

Hope we see some upsets. 

I can't wait, I love playoff basketball! The bubble last year was great at the time but I'm ready for some "real" playoff games.

2 hours ago, Lady Whistleup said:

Predictions:

East:

Hornets and Wizards will get the play-in spots

West:

Lakers and Warriors get the play-in spots

I was sitting here thinking, 'but the Warriors and Lakers play each other,' then remembered the silly format that the losers of the higher seed game get a second chance. Why on earth did they not just do 7th vs 10th and 8th vs 9th?

3 minutes ago, Danny Franks said:

I was sitting here thinking, 'but the Warriors and Lakers play each other,' then remembered the silly format that the losers of the higher seed game get a second chance. Why on earth did they not just do 7th vs 10th and 8th vs 9th?

Because that system only has two games in instead of three ($$ vs $$$).  Plus it's probably too much of a change to create a system where the 7 and 8 can be one and done.

46 minutes ago, Kip Hackman said:

What a crappy end to what was once a promising Hornets season.  They were a fun watch,  until Lamelo and Hayward went out.  🙁

Hayward’s just snakebit though. Every year since he’s signed with the Celtics something random has hobbled him. 

I heard a snippet of what Kwame Brown said about Matt Barnes and Derek Fisher (? I’m old and have already forgotten the names I heard) but I must not understand the context, because I didn’t hear the frothing rage everyone keeps saying Kwame had and to be honest I didn’t even understand what he was talking about.

Can anyone provide clearer details as to why he does not like those two, and how somehow Stephen Jackson is involved?

9 hours ago, Lady Whistleup said:

Is Kwame Brown really the biggest draft bust of all time? I thought that honor belonged to Greg Oden and Sam Bowie.

Oden and Bowie have the excuse of more catastrophic injuries, plus they look worse since the alternatives were Durant and Jordan.  Michael Olowokandi and Darko are also up there as all time busts.

17 minutes ago, cambridgeguy said:

Oden and Bowie have the excuse of more catastrophic injuries, plus they look worse since the alternatives were Durant and Jordan.  Michael Olowokandi and Darko are also up there as all time busts.

I always forget about the draft bust that was Hasheem Thabeet. He was picked before James Harden, Steph Curry, and Demar De Rozan, and Jrue Holiday.

There's also Darko Milicic who went before Dwyane Wade, Chris Bosh, and Carmelo Anthony. Yeah.

• Love 1
(edited)
1 hour ago, Lady Whistleup said:

I always forget about the draft bust that was Hasheem Thabeet. He was picked before James Harden, Steph Curry, and Demar De Rozan, and Jrue Holiday.

I don't know who the Knicks picked after those Warriors tooked Stephen Curry (when the Knicks was the next team to pick & they really wanted Steph). But, that guy turned out to be an absolute bust. 

And we cannot forget Anthony Bennett. What a waste he was. 

That series will be vomit-inducing to me. I can't root for either one of the them (especially those Warriors) & Stephen A Smith will be very excited about that. Which will make me very unhappy because the only time I ever want to see Stephen A Smith happy & gleeful is when the Cowboys lose.

Besides, he is in LA right now (He loves going there) & he is definitely rooting for those Warriors to win tonight. 

Edited by Magog

5 hours ago, Magog said:

That series will be vomit-inducing to me. I can't root for either one of the them (especially those Warriors) & Stephen A Smith will be very excited about that. Which will make me very unhappy because the only time I ever want to see Stephen A Smith happy & gleeful is when the Cowboys lose.

Besides, he is in LA right now (He loves going there) & he is definitely rooting for those Warriors to win tonight. 

Why do you care so much about what media talking heads think?

If they're that aggravating (which is 90% of Stephen A. Smith's job) then just ignore them. I do, because I know the media's slavish devotion to the idea that the Lakers and Celtics should win all the time is annoying.

The Ringer guys spent most of this season guffawing every time someone suggested the Knicks were not terrible. Now they have egg on their faces and have to own up to the fact they were flat out wrong. Even if they lose to the Hawks in the first round of the playoffs, they've done what no one believed possible and have set themselves up fantastically for next year.

• Love 2