Type keyword(s) to search

Wishing On A Star: What We Want To Happen

• Start Topic

I said this in the episode thread, but I just want a villian that is just bad, without a sobbing backstory, and that is totally unrelated to the main cast, that is not a long lost relative, an old friend turned enemy, an old lover, etc. I'm just tired of this obsession the writers have to make every character related and to give every new villian a sad backstory.

• Love 4
I'm just tired of this obsession the writers have to make every character related and to give every new villian a sad backstory.

Yeah, what's wrong with the "I want to take over the world because I like power and money" kind of villain?

After seeing last night's Sleepy Hollow, in which man-out-of-time Crane learns to drive, I'd really love to see Hook getting a driving lesson. Or Elsa. Or Hook could think he's got it figured out from observation and try to teach Elsa. I'd be happy with a whole episode of "Hook tries to teach Elsa about the modern world, even though he doesn't really understand it, himself."

• Love 5

Yeah, what's wrong with the "I want to take over the world because I like power and money" kind of villain?

Within in the context of these writers, it's difficult to pull off a three-dimensional character with something as flat as just wanting to take over the world. Without connections (not necessarily by blood!) to the cast, the villain would feel irrelevant. I believe a villain can have a good backstory without being a sob one. Cora had one before Bleeding Through. It's just my personal opinion that a bad guy who walks into Storybrooke and says "I'm here to destroy you all!" doesn't really work on this show because of how it's formatted and the writers it's stuck with.

All that said, I agree that sympathizing with the villains has gotten super old. I miss antagonists that just relish in their nefariousness.

Edited by KingOfHearts
  • Love 4

After seeing last night's Sleepy Hollow, in which man-out-of-time Crane learns to drive, I'd really love to see Hook getting a driving lesson. Or Elsa. Or Hook could think he's got it figured out from observation and try to teach Elsa. I'd be happy with a whole episode of "Hook tries to teach Elsa about the modern world, even though he doesn't really understand it, himself."

One of my kids actually thought she could drive easily from having watched me from the back seat for years.  Nope.  It would be funny to see Hook do it, though, and I said elsewhere I'd like him to total Emma's VW and they could both get new rides.  It's a freaking stolen vehicle.  Reminder of Nealio.

• Love 2

Since they threw in that bit with Archie and Snow in this past Sunday's episode, what I wish is for that to be the beginning of Snow realizing that having another baby will never make it okay that she missed Emma's childhood and that at some point, she actually needs to find a way to come to terms with that. I'm not getting my hopes up (because I've been watching this show for three seasons now), but I would love if this is the start of fixing Snow/Emma with Snow recognizing that she may not have had Emma's past but she has her present and future.

Edited by Dani-Ellie
  • Love 3

I wish they'd put the whole cast somewhere they were uncomfortable, especially a place without magic. Neverland tried to do this, but it left a lot to be explored. I'd like something like S1 Storybrooke, where it wasn't just Nevengers vs. Baddie, but where the relationship dynamics were a little more intense. It has to be a situation where everyone has to rely on wit and strategy instead of instawin magic.

Edited by KingOfHearts
  • Love 7

I'd like for them to finally address the issue of being between both Storybrooke and the Enchanted Forest. They have to find a way back permently or have some sort of corridor between the two. Of course then the characters have to make a decison as to whether they are going to stay in Storybrooke  or go back or have it both.

• Love 1
I believe a villain can have a good backstory without being a sob one.

What these writers don't seem to realize is that while the villain may think their backstory justifies their actions, the show and the rest of the characters don't have to agree. Cora may have thought that the spoiled brat Eva ruined her life by ratting her out to Leopold, but the rest of the characters can look at that situation and realize that Cora was a social climber trying to trick a prince into marrying her and lying to him about her pregnancy. Regina may have felt totally justified in going after Snow for ruining her life, but the rest of the characters can know that Cora was the one who killed Daniel and Regina is way off-base and blew things way out of proportion.

So you can go ahead and let the villain be all poor, pitiful me, things went badly for me in the past and now I'm just trying to set things straight, and that will flesh out the villain, but the other characters can stand up to the villain and say, "Yeah, poor you. But I had bad things happen to me and I haven't slaughtered villages full of people. It's not an excuse." And the fact that they're blood relations shouldn't change the situation if this person is a threat to others.

I wish they'd put the whole cast somewhere they were uncomfortable, especially a place without magic.

That would be really fun. It would put everyone on a more or less even footing, though those who have come to rely on magic as a shortcut would become underdogs because they wouldn't have developed the same level of life skills.

I'd like for them to finally address the issue of being between both Storybrooke and the Enchanted Forest.

They sort of touched on that in season two, but it should be a much bigger deal. What do people think about each place, who wants to be where and why, did they try to incorporate anything from their Storybrooke lives into their Enchanted Forest lives when they returned? And what do they feel about the woman who destroyed their whole field of magic beans that would have given everyone an option about where to go?

• Love 6

Belle's purse to be stolen by Will Scarlet and Rumpel forced to pretend Will has power over him.

Regina to decide Robin is dull and to enter into a relationship with another villain with some redeeming qualities. I think that has a better chance to work. I'm thinking yoyo between intense passion and War of the Roses.

• Love 5

I wish for someone Not Regina to figure out how to cure Marian.   While my personal first choice would be Emma, I'm also willing to joyfully accept Grumpy, Jiminy, Snow, Elsa, Granny, David, Nealflake . . . .

• Love 4

I said this in the episode thread, but I just want a villian that is just bad, without a sobbing backstory, and that is totally unrelated to the main cast, that is not a long lost relative, an old friend turned enemy, an old lover, etc. I'm just tired of this obsession the writers have to make every character related and to give every new villian a sad backstory.

This kind of fits with one of my biggest wishes for the show. I've always imagined that the original Dark One would be the one and only Horned King from the black cauldron. He'd totally fit the 'evil just because I can' angle and I think he would rock as a SERIES finale villain. They can dedicate a whole season to him as the big bad. That or possibly the mysterious black fairy.

I wish the show would time-jump more and be more consistent with the time in the real world, like S1. The tight timeframe is confusing, especially with the pacing and Henry's age.

And with the writers forgetting how recent most of these events are. If they aren't going to keep track of their own timeline, they need to spread things out a bit more.

My big wish that I know I'll never get is for them to get over this Stepford Townspeople thing and let all the characters have honest emotional reactions to their experiences and to the other characters. I think I would care a lot more about these people if I ever got the sense that the characters actually cared about their own lives. But when the characters (with a certain notable exception) aren't allowed to react, to grieve, to be angry, to have lingering trauma or to remember what happened two days ago, it's hard for me to care too much. I remember more about their lives and what they've gone through than they apparently do.

Granted, this would mean a cast full of pissed-off people, and there are certain people who'd either have to go magically ballistic or flee the town if everyone else got to react honestly, but I think actually working through these issues instead of forgetting about them would end up having a positive effect.

• Love 2

Granted, this would mean a cast full of pissed-off people, and there are certain people who'd either have to go magically ballistic or flee the town if everyone else got to react honestly, but I think actually working through these issues instead of forgetting about them would end up having a positive effect.

For this reason, amongst a variety of others, this show deserves a major reset that lasts longer than one episode. There is so much irreparable damage, that in order to effectively deal with any of it, the show needs to reorganize from the ground up. Right now the action is skipping over character issues in the effort to speed up the overarching plot, which can get old fairly quickly. Perhaps I'm recounting the glory days of S1 a bit too much.

The cast is way too comfortable right now, imo.

Edited by KingOfHearts
  • Love 3

Well, I think the fundamental problem is that there really is no realistic way Rumpel or Regina could ever be reconciled to the Charmings. Which is exactly why Adam and Eddie keep trying to retroactively re-write the show's history in Regina's favor (I don't think Rumpel has gotten this treatment as much, though I'm sure he's got it some) and act like someone being your family member automatically must make them untouchable and a saint. The problem is, we all watched Season 1, writers, so trying to tell us x happened when what actually happened was y isn't convincing, and just highlights the fact that you're trying to do an end run around the core problem instead of at least trying to solve it. Ditto with the "family is oh so important" stuff--which rings especially false when Snow and Charming tried to take Regina out several times in the Enchanted Forest despite her being "family" then, too.

Also, they just don't have the patience and long-term vision required to write that kind of storyline believably.

ETA: I agree that the core cast is too chummy with each other--that's why they keep pulling stupid things like Regina being mad at Emma for Marian, or Rumpel's pretty inexplicable dagger lie and all that, out of their asses. But they're only too chummy because the writers plowed through/pretended they wrote (when they really didn't) what should have been 5-6 seasons' worth of character development in like 1.5. But now they're stuck, because they can't go back and have Regina and Rumpel actually earn the Charmings' trust and somewhat good opinion, because it will point out how nonsensical it is that the Charmings have given it to them for 2+ seasons without any basis for doing so.

Edited by stealinghome
  • Love 5
But now they're stuck, because they can't go back and have Regina and Rumpel actually earn the Charmings' trust and somewhat good opinion, because it will point out how nonsensical it is that the Charmings have given it to them for 2+ seasons without any basis for doing so.

I think they have a teeny bit more leeway for Rumple to reset to true villain and then actually earn trust because in spite of the "but he's family!" thing I don't think they truly have trusted him fully. They weren't keen about him dying of dreamshade, and they didn't want Cora to kill him with the dagger and become the new Dark One, but I didn't get the feeling it was because all of them really cared that much about what happened, other than for Henry's sake. Mostly, I don't think they're entirely aware of his role in all their woes, and he did rather publicly sacrifice himself to save them from Pan -- and he wasn't even undoing his own mess there (of course, he was actually only saving Belle and Neal, but to the Charmings, he still must have looked pretty good). He's better at hiding his evil deeds while putting on a good face and aside from his current use of Belle as alibi he hasn't really pretended to be good. So I think there's room to eventually fully redeem him without it looking like a total reset.

Regina may be a lost cause because it's impossible to explain why her former victims are so chummy with her now without a word of apology or sign of contrition, so even if she went full-on evil again and then groveled and did a real redemption it would look weird for her victims to deal honestly with her after everything else that happened. Maybe there could be a new missing year curse, so they're all taken back to where they were when curse 1 broke, with no memories of what happened since then other than the awareness that something must have happened, considering the new baby, Hook's presence, Robin and Marian's presence, Henry being a foot taller, etc. That would give everyone a chance to hash out all their old issues and reboot before that curse is broken and then they could even wonder what they were thinking in being over Regina so easily before.

Ooh, this is all a residual effect of the curse! That explains everything! Mary Margaret wasn't able to be mad at Regina during the curse, and maybe that part is lingering. Though it doesn't explain Emma being totally okay with Regina now.

• Love 3

Maybe there could be a new missing year curse, so they're all taken back to where they were when curse 1 broke, with no memories of what happened since then other than the awareness that something must have happened, considering the new baby, Hook's presence, Robin and Marian's presence, Henry being a foot taller, etc.

The memory plots are worn I know, but I'd love a scenario like this. Something where people go to their cursed personalities, or forget like you said. You could have a lot of fun with that, especially with Regina or Hook who have never had fake memories. There's got to be a better opportunities than Lacey.

Edited by KingOfHearts
  • Love 3

Ooh, this is all a residual effect of the curse! That explains everything! Mary Margaret wasn't able to be mad at Regina during the curse, and maybe that part is lingering. Though it doesn't explain Emma being totally okay with Regina now.

Mary Margaret can't hold Regina fully accountable for what she's done because she is written as appearing to have a deep-seated need to be loved by a mother.   A couple times in the Enchanted Forest she was on the verge of offing her, but backed off.  I don't even think that she is written that way intentionally.  That's just how it looks to me, the only way to explain her behavior. 

My fervent wish is no more memory curses, or wipes, ever.  We are presently being shown that lazy device once again with Snow Queen and Emma and Elsa and I hate it ever so much.  Villains can get away with their villainy and good people can be dupes, once again.  There's been too much of that.

• Love 3

I have read a fan fiction where Regina is successful changing the book and giving all the villians their happy ending and Emma, who is the only one who remembers the truth, has to clean up the mess. I would like to see something like that.

• Love 4

I have read a fan fiction where Regina is successful changing the book and giving all the villians their happy ending and Emma, who is the only one who remembers the truth, has to clean up the mess. I would like to see something like that.

That could be very interesting--but only if cleaning up the mess meant there was some actual consequences for Regina at the end.

(Was it well written and worth recommending?)

Edited by Mari
  • Love 2
The memory plots are worn I know, but I'd love a scenario like this. Something where people go to their cursed personalities, or forget like you said. You could have a lot of fun with that, especially with Regina or Hook who have never had fake memories.

My brain really started running with this last night, the idea of resetting everyone mentally back to the end of curse 1, where they've just regained their awareness of their true selves, but with no memories since then, so that we can go back and address a lot of the stuff that should have been dealt with in the aftermath of the curse. There are a number of ways it could play out.

There's the option of everyone in town being affected. That could be really confusing for those who weren't under curse 1 and suddenly find themselves in this strange place. I guess at least one person would have to be unaffected to really notice the change (though things like the new baby, the new people in town and Henry being a foot taller would tell them that time had passed and things had happened), so perhaps Emma would be immune. Then on the positive side she could have that reunion with her parents again, only this time with her being on board with it, but on the angsty side, Hook would see her as a stranger and would be back in revenge mode (of course, he'd fall for her again because he doesn't seem able to resist her).

Or it could only affect the people affected by curse 1. I'd include Regina, even though she never had a fake identity that eclipsed her awareness of herself, because the curse brought her to Storybrooke, changed her hair and wardrobe and apparently gave her a memory download (I figure she was a We Are Both all along because she was Regina Mills, mayor, who had a ready-made home and position in town instead of being the Evil Queen, but she did still remember who she was). Henry, Emma, Hook, Aurora and Philip, Robin, Marian and the Merry Men would have their memories while everyone else is back where they were when the curse broke. That way, Robin would be still seeing Regina as bold and audacious while the town is putting together a lynch mob and Marian is all "My people! Finally!" while Regina has no idea who Robin is and doesn't care. Emma and Hook would have to try to figure out what went wrong and fix it while staying one step ahead of Rumple, who's entirely forgotten the truce, and many of the other townspeople who know the reputation of Captain Hook and don't remember him helping them.

I wouldn't want it for an entire arc, but it would make for a fun episode. I wish they'd ease up on these half-season arcs so there could be more one-offs. Or have the season Big Bad be less up front and do sneaky things like this where they're not yet aware that there is any big plan afoot.

• Love 1

Instead of reverting to Kill Marian or Change the Book mode, I want Regina to start a matchmaking service devoted entirely to finding Marian a true love. If Marian were happy with someone else, Robin would be free to be with his soulmate. Problem solved. And I'd be much more entertained by the string of fairy tale characters they could line up for Marian to date than Operation Mongoose.

• Love 7

Regarding Rumple's fate:

I don't want to see him sacrifice himself for the greater good after realizing he's done wrong, etc. like he did with Pan, because that situation and his return would cheapen any future sacrifice of his. I doubt they would just randomly kill him off either. If rumple is to get his happy ending with belle, then i'd rather see him sacrifice his dark magic rather than his life. Make him mortal and let him live out a normal human life with belle.

Sounds lame. I know.

• Love 3

No, you're not crazy--I actually think that would be the best "happy" ending for Rumpel. He gets to have Belle, but he also has to struggle every day with not having magic and trying to be a better man (not the coward man!Rumpel has pretty much always been). Death is an easy redemption--a much harder thing is having to live life every day, trying to grind out a little bit of redemption every day.

Instead of reverting to Kill Marian or Change the Book mode, I want Regina to start a matchmaking service devoted entirely to finding Marian a true love. If Marian were happy with someone else, Robin would be free to be with his soulmate. Problem solved. And I'd be much more entertained by the string of fairy tale characters they could line up for Marian to date than Operation Mongoose.

omfg, this would be hilarious! Singlebrooke, here we come!

• Love 3

If rumple is to get his happy ending with belle, then i'd rather see him sacrifice his dark magic rather than his life. Make him mortal and let him live out a normal human life with belle.

Rumple is the one person on the show I never want to have a happy ending, but I like the idea of a powerless Rumple. He could probably still brew potions, use magic objects and the like, but vulnerability has also been a major character growth mechanism for him. It's not that I want him to become a better man, but just evolve. Of course, he'd probably get quickly killed by Hook or basically any non-Charmings character on the show. Heck, even Happy would probably take a stab at him if he could.

I really like the idea of Belle encouraging powerless, cowardly Rumple. That's the only way I really see them working as a couple. Their relationship is way too one-sided at the moment. With all the magic dagger stuff, it'll never be believable. He needs to actually need to trust her.

Edited by KingOfHearts
  • Love 4

Of course, he'd probably get quickly killed by Hook or basically any non-Charmings character on the show. Heck, even Happy would probably take a stab at him if he could.

I think hook's pretty much moved on from wanting to kill Rumple at this point (except in his imagination). As for anybody else...Rumple has mad cane whacking skills, i'd like to see some of the non-magical characters try to take him on.

The more I think about my Rumple wish, the more I like it. Now I'll be upset if it doesn't happen. :( (come on A&E!!!! Please Make my wish come true!!)

• Love 2

I think hook's pretty much moved on from wanting to kill Rumple at this point (except in his imagination).

Hook would probably do the honors for the "greater good". In his eyes, he'd be removing a public menace. It wouldn't be as much revenge as it would be protecting Emma and her family.

I actually am fairly confident that's the endgame for Rumpel--a normal, magic-less life with Belle.

What I'm truly hoping for as far as endgame goes is Rumple going full-on dark after Belle's untimely death. I'm talking sparkly imp in Storybrooke. He's the true Big Bad of the whole series. The ending would be a battle involving the cast versus him. I honestly don't know how Mr. Gold keeps his imp side from showing.

In my mind, the last scene of the series has Emma and Henry with the book sitting in a castle window in EF. Perhaps the book fills with all the adventures of the series, thus its title... Once Upon a Time.

Edited by KingOfHearts
  • Love 2

Yeah, they'll play that scene for sure.  Though to me, that should have come already.  It makes no sense why Belle wouldn't have asked Rumple for it.  And it's oh so sad that Rumple would give up magic for Belle but not for Neal, who is long dead and his influence on Rumple lasted about 5 minutes after he expired.  So at this point, there is nothing I wish for the Rumple character.  Nothing is going to warm the cockles of my heart in regards to him at this point.

Edited by Camera One
  • Love 3
What I'm truly hoping for as far as endgame goes is Rumple going full-on dark after Belle's untimely death. I'm talking sparkly imp in Storybrooke. He's the true Big Bad of the whole series. The ending would be a battle involving the cast versus him. I honestly don't know how Mr. Gold keeps his imp side from showing.

I'd pay to see it happen. Rumple's the one character on the show that would feel right as the big bad, both story-wise and power-wise.

But it will never happen. He'll lose the powers, most likely, and get a happily ever after with Belle (bleh!) Which would still feel anticlimactic and wrong, for me, but when has the show shied away from this?

I think it makes sense for Rumple to go full-on dark right now after Bae is truly dead.  Belle and his love for her pale in comparison, so whatever does or doesn't happen with her, is either a little gravy, or another brick in the wall.  Bae was what made his life worth living, now he's gone, and making sharp deals and refusing to help the Charmings will just be boring to him, I would think.  He needs to rampage, or something.

• Love 3

That would be fun to see, i'll admit. And Bobby would enjoy it, because anybody can see he ships Rumple x Evil more than Rumbelle at this point.

Sometimes I wish A&E would just say "to heck with it" and decide to screw with the entire fandom by creating the most ridiculous ending to the show possible. I would still watch it.

Make Rumple go full evil, have him off Belle, Snow stays as mayor and eventually realizes her true love is Dr. Whale. Pan returns and whisks Henry away to Neverland forever. Regina becomes queen of the pinecones, then gets eaten by Ruby. Granny becomes sheriff. Emma goes back to New York. Captain Charming elope and go on a bunch of adventures across the realms. They occasionally have camp outs in the woods with Robin. Marian becomes high queen of everything because she seems to have the most common sense.

• Love 1

This have always been my ideal ending for the show. I know I'm not getting it, but it's still what makes more sense.

• Love 1

I wish this show would take more risks, turn things upside down. This show used to have a big twist nearly every episode, and lately it's gotten too predictable. I'd like some circumstances that really turn everything we know on its head. (Like Going Home! I still can't get over how perfect that reset could have been.)

The writers seem to be avoiding leaving this comfort zone they've setup. Maybe they're afraid of a ratings drop? They must be thinking they can get by with just satisfying shippers.

Edited by KingOfHearts
  • Love 2

Since "The Apprentice" implied that Elsa is staying with the Charmings for the time being, I would kill for like, an "Emma's first sleepover" hat tip, where Elsa and Emma are up talking until the wee hours of the morning and Charming and/or Snow have to come out of their room to shush them. It would be silly but I would also find it adorable. Please, show?

• Love 8

Since "The Apprentice" implied that Elsa is staying with the Charmings for the time being, I would kill for like, an "Emma's first sleepover" hat tip, where Elsa and Emma are up talking until the wee hours of the morning and Charming and/or Snow have to come out of their room to shush them. It would be silly but I would also find it adorable. Please, show?

Yes, braiding each other's hair. 

• Love 3

I wish they'd do something with Emma's hair, braids or a trim or something.  In the first season the complaint was her hair was too "done" but recently it's been too under-done, to the point of scraggly.  Shallow of me, I know. 

I know Jmo is all about braids, but does Emma ever use braids?

No, but even that could be cute.

Elsa: But you're a princess, are you not?

Emma: By name, I guess.

Elsa: Then let me do up your hair.

Emma: But--

Elsa: Turn around and sit in front of me.

Emma: *sighs* Okay, fine.

(Guys, seriously, the fanfic is writing itself. ;))

• Love 5

I keep wishing Henry would turn out to be gifted with awfully powerfull but at the same time terribly difficult to harness wild magical power, which would force his family to send him off to a borading school for magically gifted students (which, I know, does not exist...)

The thing is, I wish there was some way to get rid of Henry.

• Love 1

The thing is, I wish there was some way to get rid of Henry.

Me too.. just a recast would be fine with me. Some sort of aging magic that makes him an adult? Time travel? Body switching? If they need a massive contrivance to do it, this is one time I'll definitely let it slide.

Edited by KingOfHearts
  • Love 2

I wish we could have seen the moment when the nature of Storybrooke is explained to Elsa. For someone unaccustomed to magic outside herself, it had to be very confusing. I'd like to see this show poke fun of its own complexity, like Snow and Charming did with Henry's family tree in Manhattan.

If not Elsa, maybe Anna and Kristoff if they ever come back?

• Love 1

I could totally see a scene where Anna meets David again and after introducing her to his wife and baby son (totally normal seeming), he then introduces Emma as his daughter.

I could see Belle explaining to Anna that she married the man she hoped she would never meet!

Ingrid's plan to get a family is nice and all, but I'd love to see a villain who's more into just being... evil. A sadist who wants to watch the world burn. Someone who doesn't give a crap about the lives of anyone, who will gladly take revenge at a moment's notice. A character along the lines of Mayor Mills or Cora.

• Love 2

I could see Belle explaining to Anna that she married the man she hoped she would never meet!

Ingrid's plan to get a family is nice and all, but I'd love to see a villain who's more into just being... evil. A sadist who wants to watch the world burn. Someone who doesn't give a crap about the lives of anyone, who will gladly take revenge at a moment's notice. A character along the lines of Mayor Mills or Cora.

This is what I want too.  Basically, I want a true villain and not a sad-sack, woe-is-me-loser with powerful magic.  I'm tired of all the "sympathetic" back stories.  Give me someone who is just an @#!hole and revels in it.  Someone who really sinks their teeth into it, ala the Evil Queen before they declawed and woobified her.  Someone I can unreservedly loathe for their villainy, instead of just loathing them for bad writing and/or scenery chewing.  Someone the good guys can band together to defeat without guilt or remorse.    

Edited by angelwoody
  • Love 3