Type keyword(s) to search

Season One Talk: No Gaelic Required

Athena
  • Start Topic

Well, now I'm going to have to watch the hanging scene again!

An continuing my love affair with Murtaugh, I rewatched parts of Wentworth Prison and love at the end when Claire is trying to get that guy (can't remember exactly who he is) to help her rescue Jamie and she offers him the pearls in payment.  The man recognizes the pearls as Ellen Mackenzies and questions if Jamie is Ellen's son, and Murtaugh says "You'd ken if you saw him, he's the spit of her"  I just thought the way he said it was so cute.  

• Love 1
(edited)

Well, now I'm going to have to watch the hanging scene again!

An continuing my love affair with Murtaugh, I rewatched parts of Wentworth Prison and love at the end when Claire is trying to get that guy (can't remember exactly who he is) to help her rescue Jamie and she offers him the pearls in payment.  The man recognizes the pearls as Ellen Mackenzies and questions if Jamie is Ellen's son, and Murtaugh says "You'd ken if you saw him, he's the spit of her"  I just thought the way he said it was so cute.  

I love Murtagh so much that I am running off to add a wish to the season 2 thread.

Edited by AD55
  • Love 2

I finally tracked down the lyrics to the song Claire adapts in The Search, The Reels O' Bogie. Um. Let's just say I won't be fussing about the hip hop songs my teenager is currently listening to for a while.

• Love 2

I just discovered that I can't rewatch the last two episodes. Or rather, the finale. Rewatching "Wentworth Prison" was so difficult to get through, and my finger just couldn't click on "watch now" for the finale.

So it's back to "Sassenach" when I do another rewatch.

I'm having the opposite reaction.  I re-watched the last two episodes this weekend and I just appreciate them more and more every time.  There is some  fine writing and the acting, both in the big moments and the subtle, small beats is really top-notch.  And they are just beautifully shot. I cringe and have to turn away at the worst parts but the rest is amazing.

• Love 2

I thought I would re-watch Wentworth at some point, but so far I have not.  I just can't do it - which translates to it being very effective and well done.  I have watched Ransom several times but I fast forward and look away during the rough stuff.  Again powerful, but the monastery scenes are so life-affirming (and I think I have a crush on Brother Paul!) that I enjoy them more and more every time I see them.  

For feel goods though Lallybroch is it for me as I've re-watched it a million times and still laugh my ass off at drunk/hungover Jamie.

• Love 3

I thought I would re-watch Wentworth at some point, but so far I have not. I just can't do it - which translates to it being very effective and well done. I have watched Ransom several times but I fast forward and look away during the rough stuff. Again powerful, but the monastery scenes are so life-affirming (and I think I have a crush on Brother Paul!) that I enjoy them more and more every time I see them.

For feel goods though Lallybroch is it for me as I've re-watched it a million times and still laugh my ass off at drunk/hungover Jamie.

Exactly. I mean I've watched both twice, but that's it. I don't like having to fast forward, but yes, for feel good and to laugh and giggle, "Lallybroch" with drunk and hungover Jamie is the way to go. And now after typing this, I'm off tae see "Lallybroch" now, hee!

I just love Jamie's mumbling in Gaelic to Claire, and her "English, please" ending with her smiling after he passes out.

• Love 2

Ok, since all the episodes are available On Demand I simply cannot stop rewatching.  It's not healthy.  I need a life.  I have a busy life.  

But since we are all kindred spirits here you will indulge me, won't you?

And naturally every time I rewatch I catch something I didn't before.  

One of my favorite episodes is Rent.  I love it for many reasons.  One in particular is the timing, like many have mentioned before, I do believe they struggle with timing on many episodes.  In Lallybroch (which is another of my favorite episodes) the flash back with Jenny and Black Jack, oy.  We get that she mocks him, one smack to the face is sufficient but I think he smacked her three times (?)  ugh, just too long we get it.   But Rent, for me, moves very quickly and efficiently, with maybe just a wee bit too long showing them actually collecting the rents, but that's a minor complaint.  One of the aspects of the show I love as much as I love Jamie and Claire (and Murtagh, too) is the evolution of the relationship between Claire and the Highlanders.  At first they are purposely speaking Gaelic to exclude her and by the end they start a brawl defending her.  I also love when Claire is talking to Ned in the Inn just before the brawl and Ned said "I thought you didn't understand Gaelic" and then ever so slightly glances at the table of men who have been insulting her as if to see if she understood what they were saying.  Loved that.  I also like that Jamie was not part of the brawl, it was just the Highlanders.  

A question for the book readers that has always bugged me a bit about The Wedding.  It always seems to me that Jamie kind of 'fell in love" with Claire literally over a few hours.  One minute Dougal basically talking him into marrying her and then when she asked why he agreed he said it was to protect her,  and by the end of the night he is talking about how cherished she is to him.  Seemed a little disjointed to me.  In the book did they have Jamie admit he was attracted to her or anything that explained why she was suddenly so cherished to him?

And count me in as someone who needed an intimate scene at the end of Ransom.  I understand in the book there was a lovely scene in a hot spring but it wasn't logistically possible for the show.   It wouldn't even have to have been a big sex scene, allow me to fanwank for a moment: Jamie still in bed, finishing some broth to show he's eating again, Claire in her nightgown by the fire and Jamie admiring her (like he did in Reckoning when she shut him off) and asking for her to come over to him.....etc....something more than just the kiss on the boat.  

Whew, talk about a stream of consciousness! I feel better now, lol

• Love 4
A question for the book readers that has always bugged me a bit about The Wedding.  It always seems to me that Jamie kind of 'fell in love" with Claire literally over a few hours.  One minute Dougal basically talking him into marrying her and then when she asked why he agreed he said it was to protect her,  and by the end of the night he is talking about how cherished she is to him.  Seemed a little disjointed to me.  In the book did they have Jamie admit he was attracted to her or anything that explained why she was suddenly so cherished to him?

I can't remember which book or where it is, but Jamie does admit that he fell for Claire the night they met. Specifically, the moment he woke up and she was yelling at him. He was smitten with her by the time they got to Leoch. As their friendship grew, he fell more. He married her for love and tells her in the first book a little later.

• Love 4

Thanks, Athena and yes, he admits it in Lallybroch.  I guess I would have liked to see a little more enthusiasm from him when Dougal asked that he marry Claire, almost like a secret smile when no one was looking like "Boo yah, I am SO on board with this idea!"   

(edited)

I feel like when Jamie was arguing with Dougal about marrying Claire, it wasn't because he didn't want/love her, it was because he knew or felt like it wasn't what she wanted. She was drinking like a fish, totally gloomy, still hung up on her husband, and now they were going to coerce her into a marriage kind of against her will (yes, it was protecting her, but still not ideal). Jamie seemed especially surprised and upset when Dougal talked about how they'd have to have a real marriage and seal the deal in bed. He knew she wouldn't be comfortable with that, and he loved her so much that he wanted their marriage to be under more ideal circumstances. Really, even taking Claire completely out of it, Jamie just wanted his own wedding to be under more ideal circumstances. He talks to Murtagh about how his mother would feel about Claire and how he was only going to get married once, so he wanted it to be right. I think that's why Jamie was reluctant, and also why he pushed for a ring and a church and a new dress and the Fraser tartan...it's not that he didn't want to get married, it's that it wasn't the way he'd always imagined getting married or how he would have wanted to marry Claire.

Edited by Petunia846
  • Love 9

Thanks, Athena and yes, he admits it in Lallybroch.  I guess I would have liked to see a little more enthusiasm from him when Dougal asked that he marry Claire, almost like a secret smile when no one was looking like "Boo yah, I am SO on board with this idea!"   

Yeah, in the book from Claire's POV, you aren't sure how Jamie feels about it. As a reader, you can guess he is into it because he's the male lead, but as Claire, you don't know why this lad would marry you. On the show, it would have been nice to show Jamie being into it, but I think he's like most guys, it probably freaks him out that he will be getting married and he is a virgin. He really cares for Claire and this wasn't his idea of how their romance would go (at that point, it wasn't going anywhere). I think Jamie freaking out with the wedding prep and his face when he sees her in the dress shows how much he does care about her though.

• Love 2
(edited)

I feel like when Jamie was arguing with Dougal about marrying Claire, it wasn't because he didn't want/love her, it was because he knew or felt like it wasn't what she wanted. She was drinking like a fish, totally gloomy, still hung up on her husband, and now they were going to coerce her into a marriage kind of against her will (yes, it was protecting her, but still not ideal). Jamie seemed especially surprised and upset when Dougal talked about how they'd have to have a real marriage and seal the deal in bed.

Excellent point, Petunia, I hadn't thought of it that way.  And I just remembered when they were reminiscing about their first kiss as man and wife Jamie says "When you kissed me like that, I thought well, maybe you weren't so sorry to marry me after all"  and then lots of sexyfuntime.  And it is after all that when he gives her the pearls and talks about how cherished she is to him.  So to yours and Athena's point, it would make sense that he feels a little more secure in the relationship and therefore feels comfortable sharing his feelings with her. 

Thank you for clearing that up!  It was bugging me for so long!  Annnnd to celebrate I just may have to watch The Wedding again....:)

Edited by Summer
  • Love 2

One thing in the Wedding episode that confused me was the timing of the conversation between Jamie and Dougal, when Jamie agrees to marry Claire. Did that take place before Jamie talks about it to Claire at the end of Garrison Commander? Or was it after, while Claire was off getting drunk. It seemed like it was after, but it's weird that Jamie hadn't agreed to the marriage yet, when he'd already told her it was fine with him if it was fine with her. But then if it happened before, how was it that Dougal was there? He'd been with Claire at the Inn all day. Although, he does tell Claire his plan to marry her to a Scot before they get back to the others, so - I don't know, maybe I'm over-thinking this.

Summer, I also would have liked to see a similar scene between Jamie and Claire. Not sex, but a quiet, private scene between them where he allows her to touch him w/o flinching.

• Love 1

Chocolatetruffle-You just cleared something up for me, too!  I, too, was always confused about the timing of Jamie and Claire at the end of Garrison Commander and then the flashback to Dougal talking him into the marriage.  In the barn I could never figure out what Dougal says to Jamie, something about "you need to clear it up, you can't betelling her you have when you haven't" (or something like that)  I never understood what he was saying and why.  But it makes perfect sense that THAT scene is before the end of Garrison, and that's why Jamie admits to being a virgin.  So, I'm thinking Dougal proposes the idea to Clair by the springs on the way back from Forth William, then goes to Jamie and asks him and THEN it's the end of Garrison.  Make perfect sense.  

• Love 1

One last question, I promise!  How does Claire know to call Jamie "Mr. McTavish"?  I know it's a fake name to protect him but I don't think i ever heard Dougal or Murtagh or anyone introduce him to her with that name.  As soon as she gets to Leoch she starts referring to him that way, could never figure out where it came from.  

In the barn, Ned says that the marriage must be consummated and there needs to be witnesses present, in the building if not in the room. Dougal then tells Jamie that "...there can be no secret agreements between the two of you - you saying that you have, when you have not."

One last question, I promise!  How does Claire know to call Jamie "Mr. McTavish"?  I know it's a fake name to protect him but I don't think i ever heard Dougal or Murtagh or anyone introduce him to her with that name.  As soon as she gets to Leoch she starts referring to him that way, could never figure out where it came from.

Ha Ha - this is one of the great mysteries of Outlander. The book makes no mention of an introduction or how Claire knows that's his name. She just uses it one day. The show didn't clear it up either. I think she first uses it in the dinner scene at Leoch.

• Love 1

In the barn, Ned says that the marriage must be consummated and there needs to be witnesses present, in the building if not in the room. Dougal then tells Jamie that "...there can be no secret agreements between the two of you - you saying that you have, when you have not."

Ah, thanks Chocolatetruffle, for clearing that up.  I misunderstood it to be about Jamie's virginity.

Hmmm, so Mr. McTavish remains a mystery...huh...

• Love 1
(edited)

In "The Search" Claire gives almost all their money to the Gypsy. in "Wentworth" Rupert & Angus gamble away all their money with the Wentworth guards. In "To Ransom a Man's Soul" Murtagh says their passage to France was expensive, costing 50 gold pieces. Where did he get the money?

Edited by WatchrTina
  • Love 1

In "The Search" Claire give almost all their money to the Gypsy.  in "Wentworth" Rupert & Angus gamble away all their money with the Wentworth guards.   In "To Ransom a Man's Soul" Murtagh says their passage to France was expensive, costing 50 gold pieces.  Where did he get the money?

I always assumed that Rupert and Angus gambled with their own money, not Claire's or Murtagh's. I also assumed that Claire and Murtagh made more money after she gave the money to the gypsy. These are just assumptions of course and as I've only watch "The Search" twice I could be wrong about the timing of when she gave the money to the gypsy. I thought it was the first meeting where she gave him the money so they still were searching and performing for a while before they met the second time.

• Love 2

I want to bring the interview OutlanderCast had with Ira Steven Behr over here from where I posted it on the media thread. It was a good interview. Sounds like the perfect guy to write BlackJack. However, something Behr said about another character perked up my ears. I didn't catch it while watching the show, but now I want to look back and take note.

He said --

and obviously it informed his (and maybe the other writers) views and motivations of Willie -- he said, that Willie was in love with Claire, which maybe I would view as a crush, rather than actual love. He brought that up in conjunction with talking about how poignant he found the last scenes of the last episode, when Claire, Jamie and Murtagh were sailing off towards the ship and Willie stands alone watching them, not wanting to let go. Ahhhh.

http://www.outlandercast.com/2015/07/outlander-cast-chats-w-outlander.html#comment-form

On a side note, did any of you who sought out that interview see the photo of Ira on the webcast page? Does he really have a purple mustache and goatee or have I suddenly gone color blind?!

On a side note, did any of you who sought out that interview see the photo of Ira on the webcast page? Does he really have a purple mustache and goatee or have I suddenly gone color blind?!

It's looks purple to me!

Thanks for the link to the Ira interview, Nidratime.  He made a strong defense of the Wentworth / Ransom episodes.

I would buy the DVR just to see the the very disturbing  "longshot" that he said was dropped from Ransom.

Interesting that the actors were responsible for the idea.  

Wouldn't you love to hear Ira and Diana having a conversation.  His slow plodding speech and her rapid fire delivery and

yet both are people who speak in paragraphs as opposed to phrases or sentences. 

Really enjoyed this purple bearded writer.  Btw I wonder if there is a story behind  purple bearded Ira and

the other writer Matt Roberts with the "V" mask and goatee.

From the casting thread:

I guess I shouldn't be surprised.  I remember thinking "Jamie and Ian join The Watch" was a typo when I first read the description of The Watch in Season 1 because that sure didn't happen in the books.

When The Watch was going to air, Moore, I believe said that they were going to deviate from the books for this, so we knew it was coming and what they were going to do.  It was to flesh out some characters I think.

Anyhoo, I don't think, or at least, I hope Moore isn't going to try and compress three buiks' worth of story in the next season.  He knows who the audience is.  And from all the interviews I've watched, I don't get the sense this is what will be happening.  I know they will change some stuff--but I think it's more of the French Intrigue stuff.

• Love 1

I remember thinking "Jamie and Ian join The Watch" was a typo when I first read the description of The Watch in Season 1 because that sure didn't happen in the books.

That line taught me to take everything that is said concerning the plots of upcoming episodes with a grain of salt because they didn't "join the Watch" -- they agreed to go on ONE raid (and they agreed to that under duress.)  That summary above had me thinking they were going to seek out the Watch and volunteer to join, which makes no sense in the context of the book and their responsibilities to their wives, children and the tenants of Lallybroch.  So from now on, salty skepticism for me.

• Love 2

The costumes - which are not only done with incredible care but also look like being worn definitly more than once (instead of pristine gowns often featured in many historical dramas)

You can thank Terry Dresbach (Costume Designer) for that.  She's shared on her blog that they have an entire team to take the costumes (especially the extra's costumes) and "age" them with cheese graters and blow torches and other implements of destruction so that they look like clothes actual people live in and not a costume that was rented from the local costume shop.

A lot of frames seem inspired by classic paintings

I thought the shot of Claire being tossed through he trap door in "Wentworth" was like that -- the square of the trap door shows a scene of cools blues and greens where she has fallen and that square was framed by the reds and oranges of Black Jack's torch bouncing off the stone walls and wood of the floor.  It was a fleeting moment and yet it was shot with such care.  I just love that about this show.  And yes, Jamie's slo-mo walk away from Claire into darkness in "The Watch" was beautifully shot.

• Love 1

The cinematography and lighting are beautiful albeit the latter a bit too muddy at times. A lot of frames seem inspired by classic paintings - from baroque painting, XVII century Dutch pictures (Vermeer in particular), Thomas Gainsborough to pre-raphaelites. 

I thought this while watching the scene in "The Gathering" where Geordie dies in Dougal's arms after being gored by the wild boar.  The last shot showing the whole hunting group was framed magnificently.  It took my breath away.

• Love 3
I want to bring the interview OutlanderCast had with Ira Steven Behr over here from where I posted it on the media thread. It was a good interview. Sounds like the perfect guy to write BlackJack. However, something Behr said about another character perked up my ears. I didn't catch it while watching the show, but now I want to look back and take note.

This is a great interview. God bless Ira for Rupert and Angus. I'm binge watching the whole season (just bought the second half yesterday) and I adore these two. I also loved Willie and I'm glad they took advantage of a good actor and fleshed out the character. 

I get what Ira's saying about the prison scenes but I still stand by my opinion about them showing too much. I still believe there was a way to show the horror of what happened (and even make it more horrific) without it being so graphic. But I'm glad he got a chance to explain the intention from the writer's POV. 

As I'm binge watching, I'm realizing that the voice overs are really on my last nerve, mostly because they impart info that's being shown and they're not well written. As wonderful as the dialogue is on this show I don't understand why the voice overs are so mediocre. On the iTunes season pass, Moore introduces the long version of The Reckoning, which he says is more in line with the script but that they had to cut down scenes for time. They also added the Jamie voice over, so this version didn't have them. I liked it so much better without it. 

They also added the Jamie voice over, so this version didn't have them. I liked it so much better without it. 

Yeah, the Jamie voiceover is hella cheesy (and the worst in that regard). I feel you.

• Love 1

I haven't seen the episode with Jamie's voice over, but that sounds...well, not good.

I didn't mind Claire's voice overs in the first couple episodes--it did get us inside Claire's head at first--but I agree they became really redundant and extraneous quickly. I'm currently reading the books, so I understand why they used them, but it's too bad they didn't use them better. I liked the way they used them in scenes like when she was first in Column's study and trying to figure out what year it might be. But, don't understand why they felt the need to use them mostly to tell us things that the actress they hired was showing us quite well.

Now that I think about it though, maybe they were just trying to replicate the way things get repeated over and over again in the books? Yeah, not something I would strive to copy, but different strokes and all that. ;)

• Love 1

Maybe this should go in the Unpopular Thread, but I'm going to say it here--I LOVED hearing Jamie's voiceover, if only because I can't get enough of Sam speaking in his Scots Brogue.  There, I said it.

And even without Moore explaining why they did it this way, which he does in the "after the show" when you watched it On Demand, I understood it.

• Love 3
Maybe this should go in the Unpopular Thread, but I'm going to say it here--I LOVED hearing Jamie's voiceover, if only because I can't get enough of Sam speaking in his Scots Brogue.  There, I said it.

True--I could listen to him talk all day (and night, ya ken). Maybe if it had been utilized or written better I would have liked it. 

Speaking of voices, the guy who plays Rupert (Grant something or other) has a wonderful voice. I could listen to him forever, too. 

Now that I think about it though, maybe they were just trying to replicate the way things get repeated over and over again in the books? Yeah, not something I would strive to copy, but different strokes and all that. ;)

I would think they'd want to avoid that. But I also see the appeal for people who like voiceovers and who want more of the flavor of the books. 

• Love 1

Ah yes Jamie's wedding hair do.  When he first came out of the church I thought, "That hair is a bummer"  but then is does calm down so I got over it, but not a good look for him. 

I have Starz on Demand which is a good and bad thing because I have spent more time than I care to admit to rewatching every single episode.  Don't judge me either :)  But I also love discovering new things each time I rewatch, like MURTAUGH!  Never paid much attention to him but Wowza, just love him now!  First of all I didn't realize he was the one who rescued Claire from Black Jack in the very first episode.  And all the little touches: how he tells Claire in Rent that she was the reason they all got in a brawl, the smile and clap on Jamie's shoulder after they did the deed in The Wedding.  The cave seen in The Search "You think you;re the only one who loves Jamie?" The subtle rubbing of Claire's back while she is vomiting in Wentworth Prison and then he scoops her up and carries her and the smile when he discovers a way to "save young Jamie".  The look on his face when he is carrying Jamie out of the prison in To Ranson A Man's Soul.  And the Murtaugh scene that gets me every time from To Ransom A Man's Soul is when he and Claire are in the hallway and Claire wonders why her husband wants to kill him self and Murtaugh says he's been tortured....and then he hesitates, closes his eyes a bit and says...and raped....like it's just as painful to him to have to speak of what happened to Jamie.  Sigh...loving me some Murtaugh!

I love Murtaugh too!! And his name!

• Love 2

So I sat down and decided to rewatch from the beginning. Watched the first two, and the butterflies in me stomach! Just based on these, I find the first season to be vastly preferable to the last two seasons.

Maybe it's because we're being introduced the world--I miss Mrs. Fitz! Scotland. The horsies! Jamie--with his DARK RED and Short hair!

Wot?

But just everything. I'm riveted and engaged in every single scene. Can't say that for that last two seasons.

I'm ready to watch Jamie and Claire fall in love.

Okay, the fly in the ointment is the hosebeast.

I'm trying to figure out that calculating look in Dougal's eyes when Jamie agreed to take the punishment for that twat. You'd think Jamie was just a member from another clan and not his nephew.

But I love hearing all the burrs, and unlike Comcrap, which would at least show the Gaelic or show "speaking in foreign language" because apparently, they couldn't be arsed to type out "Gaelic", Netflix shows NOTHING that isn't spoken in English. Thus far.

21 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

So I sat down and decided to rewatch from the beginning. Watched the first two, and the butterflies in me stomach!

I concur. I’ve loved all of the seasons, though I did facepalm several things in Season 4, and I’d actually place Season 5 as my second favorite.

I’m re-reading through all of the books again, and there’s just something special about Book 1. I think that translates to the first season of the show. I’ve found that my favorite episodes, the ones I watch repeatedly, are from the first season.

I really enjoy Books 6 & 8, but I think it’s for a different reason than Book 1. The first book was really about Jamie and Claire, but as the story progressed and time (and books) passed, more people came into their world that just weren’t as likable or compelling as those in Scotland. 

• Love 1

I am going to jump in and say my fave season is season 1 as well. Probably because of Jamie &  Claire being young & falling in love, and Scotland. 

Having said that I LOVE that Jamie & Claire are still together ( & hot & in love) because my biggest pet peeve on TV is that no couples stay together. My hubby & I just started watching Vikings, & I cannot believe that the "hero" has an amazing wife but dumps her after she miscarries for a younger wife, UGH! My hubby reminded me that everyone is not Jamie Fraser, & so it is! 

• Love 1

Made it through but once again I found that I can’t watch “Wentworth Prison” in its entirety. It’s too difficult to watch Jamie get tortured and raped. I even fast forward all the scenes in previous episodes where he gets flogged.

But I do watch the scenes with Jamie and Taran before Taran is hanged; and the only parts of “Wentworth Prison” I do enjoy are Jamie telling MurderingRapingfuckingsadisticpieceofshitRandall “If it’ll stop yer talkin” when that shit asks to see his handiwork on Jamie’s back; and when Jamie tells Claire to “Do as I say” when he tells her to leave; when Claire tells that bastard “Witch I AM” and tells him when he was born and the hour of his death.

And just what the hell was Claire thinking dressing in trou and pulling her hair back in a ponytail that looked like Randall’s when they saved Jamie??? And even at the abbey???

The last two episodes are just so very very hard to watch.

I’m halfway through season two. Off to post my rewatch thoughts!

The only part of the prison episodes I could tolerate  were the cattle scenes, Rupert and Angus conning the guards at the game and the one prisoner who tells Claire where to find Jamie.  I so wanted her to somehow help him escape. 

• Love 1

Hi there! I know I'm late to the game at this point but my best friend was telling me about this show. I don't have Starz so I couldn't watch it when it first came out but she told me it was on Netflix (which I do have) I thought I would give it a try. Holy shit did I get sucked into the rabbit hole! Beautiful scenery, great costumes, hot chemistry between the lead actors-I burned through the whole first season in 5 days! Some of it was hard to watch (I'm looking at you, Black Jack you sadistic asshole-the stuff in the prison was really cringey) My friend told me that it doesn't get worse than that (Thank God!) because I was about to give up after that. So now onward to season 2-and I hope the good stuff continues on.

• Like 5
  • Wink 1
  • Applause 1
  • Love 1
21 hours ago, Maisiesmom said:

Hi there! I know I'm late to the game at this point but my best friend was telling me about this show. I don't have Starz so I couldn't watch it when it first came out but she told me it was on Netflix (which I do have) I thought I would give it a try. Holy shit did I get sucked into the rabbit hole! Beautiful scenery, great costumes, hot chemistry between the lead actors-I burned through the whole first season in 5 days! Some of it was hard to watch (I'm looking at you, Black Jack you sadistic asshole-the stuff in the prison was really cringey) My friend told me that it doesn't get worse than that (Thank God!) because I was about to give up after that. So now onward to season 2-and I hope the good stuff continues on.

Welcome onboard! Hope you enjoy the rest of the show.

22 hours ago, Maisiesmom said:

Welcome! We are happy to have you. Keep commenting on older episodes as you like, and we can respond as they get pushed to the top of the forum. 

• Like 3

I just finished a rewatch of the first season and started season two last night, and well, I have tae say it: The first three seasons are THE BEST.

I wonder, if Ron had stuck with the running of the show...but the current show runners have also been there since Day one, so, never mind.

Anyhoo. I'm still peeved at the ending. Where in the buik, Jamie is crying because Claire saved his hand, even if they switched hands for the show, and Claire was upset because she thought Jamie was upset that he didn't have full use of his hand. But that wasn't it at all. I KNOW Sam would have KILLED it if Ira and Ron would have just written it, instead of the OH SO UNNECESSARY drawn out rapes.

Menzies continues to gross me out, whether he's Frank or that sadistic, raping ARSEHOLE of a douchtetastic ratbastard piece of shit Jack Randall.