Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E11: Lifestyle

• Start Topic

(edited)

Ryan had the cat in hand when he was called to the hot pocket/bbq chip dinner, if I recall correctly.

Yeah, thanks for mentioning that, I totally missed it.

With a cat there, it suggests to me that someone is living their on a regular basis.  Although Jaclyn is living out of a suitcase, I am not certain she would take the cat from Jersey to Queens when she and Ryan are there together, but you never know.

Edited by Liberty

Speaking of the various cats, I at this point I am enjoying them more than the show.  Did they really need to pad this out to so many episodes?  Maybe it wouldn't seem so long and boring if they were more interesting/realistic.  It's a great concept, too bad they're totally wrecking it.

• Love 3

.. Did they really need to pad this out to so many episodes? ..

Could they have filmed for a week, edited for a week and presented the show two weeks after each week transpired?  It will be June before we know see the final episode which must have been filmed in early February.  That way they could have done it in 6 episodes rather than13.

Holy cow. This episode was a snooze fest. The comments here, however, are stellar. I'm laughing so hard, the dogs are looking at me. Many thanks to you all!

• Love 4

It is a miracle Davina doesn't topple head first everytime she stands up with that rack throwing her off balance.

No wonder Sean wants alone time with them.

What is the deal with Hundy Ryan wearing that SAME sweater in every single TH?

Give it a rest.

Product placement of the 3 bottles of Tito's by the sink even though the labels were turned facing the back splash.

A girl's gotta try to get her booze in the shot.

• Love 5

Ok, the editing in the skin-crawly Mason-Dixon section? Sean talking head: Davina has felt below [edited for creepy content]. Cut to Davina: Big, big things are happening.

Ew, show; ew.

What is the deal with Hundy Ryan wearing that SAME sweater in every single TH?

Give it a rest.

Is that the sweater Jess gave him for Christmas?

• Love 3

These house visits from Dr. Pepper are too late.  Make the place a home?The horse has already left the barn and she is trying to close the barn door.  Hold hands? Act as a team? Do things as a couple? Wait isn't the "experiment" almost over?

Jessica neatly put a 'don't forget' list on the fridge for Ryan D? A 180 degree for both of them? Yeah, right..And the Razzie Acting award goes to....

They are all now phoning it in and can't wait for it to be over. Gawd I hate this show.  But I keep watching....

• Love 5

Yeah, I saw this on the Comcast listings but did not watch.  What gives with "Affection" ?  

Did anyone watch and see what it was?

No, but is the Intimacy episode also listed by Comcast? Is it possible the Intimacy show was originally titled Affection, then changed, but Comcast never updated the title?

• Love 1

Jaclyn has a wonderful laugh! I smile the entire time she's on my screen. 

I don't know what to make of the rest of these "couples". I've decided that some crazy stuff happened between Sean and Davina that we haven't seen. I can't make out Jess and Ryan. I think they're too immature to be married.

It's so apparent that Davina likes Sean 10x more than he cares for her. It's unfortunate. She deserves better. There is no chance they will stay together.

Jacklyn and Ryan: She is adoreable but makes Ryan feel like a child squeezing his cheeks, ordering his food, teaching him how to swim. He is confused and feels emasculated. This one could go either way but more likely in a positive direction.

Ryan and Jessica: they will stay together to further their careers until the cameras turn off.

• Love 2

I think that Jaclyn must not stack up in the sack for Ryan. He is backpedaling as fast as Wylie Coyote.

Davina and Sean are fascinating to watch. Needy, self centered control freaks who spew self help love language baloney. They both want what they want and don' give a rats behind about anyone else. And who could live in that broom closet of an apartment? 

I am buying Ryan and Jessica. I don't know why but I am!

• Love 1

I think that Jaclyn must not stack up in the sack for Ryan. He is backpedaling as fast as Wylie Coyote.

Davina and Sean are fascinating to watch. Needy, self centered control freaks who spew self help love language baloney. They both want what they want and don' give a rats behind about anyone else. And who could live in that broom closet of an apartment? 

I am buying Ryan and Jessica. I don't know why but I am!

I'm still keeping my fingers crossed for Ryan & Jessica. I know people say they are actors but oh well. Really don't care about the others. Like Jaclyn individually, but not with Ryan. Sean & Davina bore the heck out of me.

This week they showed Sean walking around in Manhattan, only they were making me dizzy with all the clips being shown in totally different parts of the city.  First we're near the Flat Iron building in Madison Square (23rd St.) then we're on 2nd Avenue on the Upper East Side, then we're in Queens, then we're in Midtown.  Yikes, who edits these things?  Have they ever even been to NY?

• Love 3

Jaclyn is willing to make changes for her Ryan and I don't see him bailing on her. They have the willingness to try. IMHO of course.

I can see Jess and Ryan laying in bed on their honeymoon planning. Like if we don't bring the drama we won't stand out. I just don't think we have seen the real J and R. The picture of them on the table that is not wedding has been on Ryan's FB for a long time. It is very telling to me.

• Love 2
(edited)

It's so apparent that Davina likes Sean 10x more than he cares for her. It's unfortunate. She deserves better. There is no chance they will stay together.

I'm really trying to see your point there but I just can't. She's done NOTHING to make that marriage work. NOTHING. Please list some ways she's compromised for her marriage. She hasn't Not 1 single sacrifice. Meanwhile, Sean moved 2 hours away from his life/friends/family/job and has stacked his shifts according to both Davina and Sean to spend more time with her. Let's map out how Sean's day would work if Davina got what she wanted for a second here. He works 3 days worth of 16 hour (stacked) shifts back to back. Davina wants him to perm move to the UES which would mean his week would consist of...

3 days of:

Wake Up.

2 hour commute to NJ.

16 hour shift of work.

2 hour commute home.

4 hours to shower, eat dinner, sleep.

Then 4 days to recover from that roller coaster while trying not to upset the princess by you know, catching up on his sleeping or something equally offensive in her eyes.

4 hours. That's a medical malpractice suit waiting to happen. Meanwhile she lives and works on the UES and commutes like 10 minutes every day and she doesn't have to worry about a mistake due to fatigue costing her a small fortune, her career and someone their life. And I'm supposed to feel sorry for her? Say what? I get that he said he would be ok with moving and changed his mind (People are allowed to do that, right?) but Jac and Ryan R said the same, yet when they were matched they COMPROMISED. Something Davina was dead set against from jump street. If I'm Sean and I know I could lose at least 2 hours off my commute if my wife would agree to moving out of the UES (Remember the apartment they are in is temp. Her real place is being renovated) even for just the 6 weeks to try things out and she refused I'd bail too. Not to mention doubt her commitment to the marriage and that refusal happened right after the honeymoon. Then to get raked over the coals about every little thing you say she takes the wrong way I don't blame the guy for putting his promotion first (A promotion that was 3 years in the making long before he thought about this show. Davina bought an apartment during this time too. Why isn't she expected to give up her new place just as much as he is the promotion?). That would be a tough decision if he was with someone he was sure of let alone the mess of contradictions that is Davina. Maybe I'm missing something but I've seen nothing to indicate Davina has tried to make the marriage work other than lip service. She talks a good game but has yet to back it up with a single action. If anyone can list the ways she has sacrificed for the marriage like Sean has I'd be interested in seeing them cause right now I see nothing from her but a steady stream of BS, blame and excuses.

Don't even get me started on the childish SM stuff. Even the docs are sick of Davina at this point. She and her friend Chris insult Sean daily and the only time he's mentioned her was to defend her from nasty comments. And he's the bad guy? Seriously? He's off about some things I'll admit but he's not the bad guy here. Not even remotely. He tried which is a lot more than she did. Davina would be well advised to drop that loser friend too. Talk about pulling you down into the muck. Dang. With friends like that....

Edited by Happenings12
  • Love 3

I think Sean must work 12 hour shifts, and by stacking he means 2 days in a row so he can spend a block of time in manhattan. Of course it is difficult to compromise with someone you are not in love with!

Sean is just not into the relationship, period, and chasing him by living in NJ and having sex right away would not have changed the ultimate outcome. They are not staying together!

• Love 1

It pisses me off that this is a waste of a potentially ground-breaking show concept. If these are people who have not been able to find lasting love on their own, then you don't just throw a blind wedding at them. You counsel them from the beginning. Like teaching a kid to ride a bike.

If this show was less about the freak-show factor and took itself more seriously, it could be the beginning of being a legit resource of relationships and build a brand on that. FYI lost a good opportunity.....

• Love 4

I watched the show and these are my thoughts.  

I think Ryan and Jessica will stay together.  I think both of them want to be MARRIED more than anything else.  I don't think they're good together, but I can see them looking at each other and asking, "do you want to be married?"  Since they both do, they'll stick it out.  Maybe neither one of them want to bother going through dating hell again and may feel, "I guess this is it."  For them, the "being married" idea is more important than the who.  Jessica wants to be a "wife" to be married, that's important to her.  She'll do whatever she has to do to make that happen.

I don't think Davina and Sean will stick together because I think both of them are too much in their heads.  It also sucks that Sean had to uproot his life so much for this.  I don't know why they couldn't have found middle ground like Ryan and Jaclyn did, at least for this "experiment."  I get Davina not wanting to leave Manhattan, but maybe if she lived somewhere else, she might find that she liked it.  I mean I detest the suburbs as well, but like I said, they could have found common ground.

I'm not sure about Ryan and Jaclyn.  I think they care about each other and are the only couple out of the three IMO, who act like adults.  I can see them splitting up, dating and then getting married again in a year or something.

I wasn't surprised that so many people didn't know how to cook, this might be the second or third generation on "non cooks."  I think what happened was in the 60's and 70's, girls HAD to take home economics and boys HAD to take shop.  People rightly complained about that (I mean I took both where I went to school), and then schools started slashing their budgets and classes like home economics bit the dust.   I think cooking should be a required course in high school for both girls and boys.  Eating out his expensive, a lot of processed food is crap, so learning how to cook is very important for survival.

Now comes my unpopular opinion, my politically incorrect stance.  I believe that these experts, matchmakers, dating experts, all of them are full of shit.  They can teach people certain skills, but they can't guarantee marriage.  I believe that 95% of the shit that happens in life and in relationships is a crap shoot.  I've seen nice, attractive, intelligent people who wanted to get married, not get married and I've seen nasty, ignorant, unattractive people who wanted marriage, get married.  There is no rhyme or reason with who gets married to whom.   

• Love 7

Dr. Pepper goes to visit Ryan and Jaclyn and there is no food in the fridge.

What happened to all that food they bought, when they couldn't decide who was going to pay? Seemed like that was enough food to still be around.

• Love 1

The most interesting thing to me about this episode is that 2 of the 3 couples spent time with family and friends.

Jess & RyD:  Maybe it's the romantic in me... but I can see them making it for the long haul.  Especially if they continue on as they have been for the past two weeks.  Now, do I think the past two episodes are enough for either of them to *want* to continue on in the process?  Maybe not.  They had one hell of a bumpy ride in the beginning.  Neither of them were the best versions of themselves.  I really questioned whether or not they could be the best versions of themselves together.  Some people just bring out the worst in others.  That seems to be what we were seeing with Jess & RyD in the beginning.

The thing that kind of endears them to me just a little is that they brought family and friends into the process -- together.  It makes me think they were both sincere in wanting this to work.  Otherwise, why drag your family and friends into it?  Not to mention, even though they both have "actor" attached to their resume, neither one strikes me as actor material.

It was refreshing to see Ryan around his friends.  Jessica seemed to fit in well with them and I noticed that she's more vocal now than she had been.

Jac & RyR:  Now that Jaclyn has backed off a bit Ryan seems to be coming around.  I love Jaclyn's relationship with Ryan's niece, Kayla.  I love that Jaclyn reached out to Ryan's mother.  All of these things tells me that she really cares.

Her comment about moving to Long Island when the experiment was done, was refreshing.  Ryan seems to be getting into this much more.  He seems to be falling for her a bit.

Davina & Sean:  Neither of them have the support of their families in this experiment (as in their families are not around).  I believe that in order for this to work, the families need to be on board in some capacity.  Davina's friends have been around, but what about Sean's friends?  At this point, it is easy for both Sean and Davina to walk away.  They literally have nothing that ties them together as a couple.   

Both Sean and Davina seem to be excellent communicators....but when they are together, they speak in circles around one another.  Neither is really listening (or caring about) what the other person is saying.  They just want to "have their moment to talk and analyze".  If that makes sense.

There's a lot of talk about "what they should do" and "how they should feel" but very little to indicate that they are doing anything but talking, at this point.

My hope is that Davina says "no" when asked if she wants to stay married.   She should marry her best friend (assuming he's straight).

~~~~~~~~

Dr. Pepper's visit came too little too late.  Even though the "experts" try to stay neutral during this experiment and do not get involved with the couples, I think that is a huge mistake.  In order for this to work, the couples need support and some hand holding along the way.  It's more than obvious to me that they are looking for what makes good for tv rather than what makes for good marriages.  In that way, it makes hate watching much easier. :/

• Love 4

The most interesting thing to me about this episode is that 2 of the 3 couples spent time with family and friends.

Jess & RyD:  Maybe it's the romantic in me... but I can see them making it for the long haul.  Especially if they continue on as they have been for the past two weeks.  Now, do I think the past two episodes are enough for either of them to *want* to continue on in the process?  Maybe not.  They had one hell of a bumpy ride in the beginning.  Neither of them were the best versions of themselves.  I really questioned whether or not they could be the best versions of themselves together.  Some people just bring out the worst in others.  That seems to be what we were seeing with Jess & RyD in the beginning.

The thing that kind of endears them to me just a little is that they brought family and friends into the process -- together.  It makes me think they were both sincere in wanting this to work.  Otherwise, why drag your family and friends into it?  Not to mention, even though they both have "actor" attached to their resume, neither one strikes me as actor material.

It was refreshing to see Ryan around his friends.  Jessica seemed to fit in well with them and I noticed that she's more vocal now than she had been.

My hope is that Davina says "no" when asked if she wants to stay married.   She should marry her best friend (assuming he's straight).

~~~~~~~~

Dr. Pepper's visit came too little too late.  Even though the "experts" try to stay neutral during this experiment and do not get involved with the couples, I think that is a huge mistake.  In order for this to work, the couples need support and some hand holding along the way.  It's more than obvious to me that they are looking for what makes good for tv rather than what makes for good marriages.  In that way, it makes hate watching much easier. :/

Very good point about the friends and families. And I, too, am starting to think that Ryan D and Jess might actually make it. For how long, I don't know, but now I think that they might stay married after the 6 week mark. One thing that I keep in mind is that we only see a heavily edited version of the events, and the show definitely wants to focus on the drama to keep viewers interested. So it's entirely possible that some good things happened between these two that we didn't see.

I think I read somewhere that Davina's friend is gay, but I don't know if that's true or not. So no marriage there, if that's true.

I totally agree about the experts not getting involved with the couples being a big mistake. I don't get it, actually, how they can just throw these strangers together and hope for the best without monitoring the situation and stepping in if necessary. In that interview with Dr. C he said something like the producers tell them about the main happenings, but they (the experts) don't see the footage until the show airs. That's inexcusable, in my humble opinion. They should be much more active in this whole process. Even if they are trying to emulate arranged marriages, at least when it's an arranged marriage, I imagine the families know something about each other. They don't just pick a stranger off the street and pair him/her with their offspring. And, like you said, the families are there to help them. In this show, however, they just put strangers together and expect them to get to know each other and develop a strong relationship in 6 weeks without any help from the people who made the choice for them. And, as we've seen, their criteria for making that choice to begin with is not exactly foolproof.

• Love 2

Neurochick, I agree with you that I think Ryan and Jessica will stay together because they want to be married.  Plus, Jessica would be a total fool to let a guy with such a great resume go that easily!  Ryan's on the way up career-wise (see my post in the Social Media thread).

I'm also not surprised that most if not all of them are not into cooking.  A lot of them are into the "single lifestyle" so they haven't gotten into that yet plus I think you're right about younger generations of women just not being as "domestic" as older generations.  Then again, Jaclyn and Davina are definite career types and so wouldn't put a priority on cooking (no time!).  We still have yet to see Jessica cook, but seeing her for several weeks now, I can believe she does cook when she's comfortable and at home.

I thought I was the only one to notice the icky Sean/Davina editing!  From "She knows I'm Italian," to "Big things in store..."  Yuck. lol  Also, someone mentioned that Sean doesn't seem to have any friends around.  That's because he's murdered them all and buried them somewhere in New Jersey, which is why he is so nervous in NYC.  Not as many rural spots in which to dispose of bodies.

Ryan and Jessica, I just don't know what to think of them.  They seem to be getting along fairly well and they both claim they want to be married.  They may indeed surprise one and all by staying together.

I feel kind of sad for Jaclyn.  It looks like she tried really hard in the beginning to stay guarded, but she seems like one of those all-or-nothing people.  Once she lets her guard down and feels for someone, she is ALL in.  I bet she's more hurt than she lets on that Ryan backed away like he did.  I used to like Ryan, but now I'm getting creepy vibes from him...:/

• Love 3

Ryan and Jessica seem to be acting the most like a real couple.  They've had his friends over and the apartment has that lived in and decorated look too.  Also, it doesn't seem like they're having any sexual problems at this point either, or none that's been mentioned on the show.  And with this show, I would have expected that.  I never took their early blowouts as any indication that they were destined for failure.  I think their communication issues are similar to ones many new couples eventually work out and the fights were a stage in that.

• Love 3

I'll give Ryan a pass on "forgetting" his ring.

He may just want to go to work, do his job without explaining to everyone he sees in a workday the "social experiment " he is involved in, especially if there are no cameras/producers following him around.

Over sharing your personal life in a work place setting is a personal thing.

• Love 1
(edited)

These house visits from Dr. Pepper are too late.  Make the place a home?The horse has already left the barn and she is trying to close the barn door.  Hold hands? Act as a team? Do things as a couple? Wait isn't the "experiment" almost over?

Jessica neatly put a 'don't forget' list on the fridge for Ryan D? A 180 degree for both of them? Yeah, right..And the Razzie Acting award goes to....

They are all now phoning it in and can't wait for it to be over. Gawd I hate this show.  But I keep watching....

The editing to this episode seemed so off to me.  The showing of Dr. Pepper's visit seemed a bit too late because of this. Compared to what she asking the couples to do for their time together to bond. 

A&E should have left the show alone when they decided to broadcast FYI's original show on their channel this season. There was too much extra cutting to make it fit in their 60 minutes time slot.

Edited by lilacgirl
(edited)

Ryan and Jessica seem to be acting the most like a real couple.  They've had his friends over and the apartment has that lived in and decorated look too.  Also, it doesn't seem like they're having any sexual problems at this point either, or none that's been mentioned on the show.  And with this show, I would have expected that.  I never took their early blowouts as any indication that they were destined for failure.  I think their communication issues are similar to ones many new couples eventually work out and the fights were a stage in that.

See, that's how I view it too.  Which is probably why their fights never bothered me in the sense that I thought Jessica was endangered.  Can you imagine if we had cameras following us around and those cameras picked up a 5 minute snippet out of our day where we were fighting with our spouse? I doubt many of us would look like we had good marriages after that. 

In the last few weeks, we've seen progress with this relationship.  Not *just * civility (which we saw with Vaughn and Monet toward the end -- season 1) but actual care, concern and effort.  I don't think it's love... yet.... but I do think they are trying.  This shows in their actions and demeanor and not just their words (i'm looking at you Sean and Davina).

Edited by MissScarlett
  • Love 2

I think Jess and Ryan will stay 'married'.. and if so I believe that it's Ryan's ego and concern for his image that has made the change that I'm very suspicious of.  He doesn't want to come off looking like the bad guy ( a little late for that) and he sure doesn't want some woman saying "oh Hell no!" to being with him and getting dumped. I truly believe Jess is naive enough in relationships to think he cares for her enough to change and doesn't want to give up.

I also have to say that Ryan D"s behavior is somewhat reminiscent of an alcoholic/addict relationship I once had.  Not saying he is.. Just saying that  'over the top'  reaction reminds me of that "need an excuse and a reason to go and do my thing' act.  Just sayin'.

I don't think Davina is into Sean at this point at all..but was duped into ignoring her "red flags" He doesn't listen ..ignore ... He's a whiner... ignore.. He is very juvenile and  therefore creepy in sexual matters... ignore...(I agree..EWW.. on the mason-dixon line stuff. how old are you?) He is juvenile period... ignore.  I give them both a pass and blame the experts overall on the geographic mismatch. Yeah he said he'd relocate.. but the experts should have pressed more as someone else pointed out. 

I hope Jaclyn and Ryan stick it out.  Both good people I think who appreciate that in each other.

• Love 1
(edited)

Wow I am a sensitive person and I am not feeling anything is real. Lately I am just fast forwarding. At first I thought Jaclyn and Ryan's relationship was real but I was wrong. As someone else mentioned this show is so controlled and has so much fake moments it is hard if possible to get any feeling for the couples.

The stupid games, all the things they apparently have to do like buy a mattress or buy towels together and we will record it so be happy.  And please while typing this I'll hear Jessica say she has to believe he has changed. yeah right.

The visit from Jaclyn to his family was also fake but because she is someone who can talk easily in any situation it is not as noticeable as with the other 2 couples but too bad.

Here I was complaining about Jaime because she was always so overly happy and sometimes fake but she did love Doug at least. I think I am just going to rewind to the end.

Oh and you guys cannot stand Sean but for me it is Davina who is the worst one of all.

Edited by Marlene