Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E08: B/ill

• Start Topic

With the Families First Bill growing increasingly toxic, Gary sets up a clandestine meeting with Dan and Amy to persuade them to lobby against it. Meanwhile, Selina attempts to keep working while ill in bed with the flu. As the vote on Families First draws near, her staff works to ensure the deciding vote will go in their favor, as it becomes clear that victory or defeat lies in the hands of just one congressman.

Promo:

(edited)

Wow...I couldn't believe the hatred Amy still has for Selina. I would think Amy would recognize that she took her verbal tirade to heart by choosing Tom James. 

I'm guessing Amy didn't realize that it was Ericsson who blocked Amy and Dan from the White House and not Selina...just so he could get the credit for bringing in the congressman.  I'm not saying that Selina would have welcomed Amy back w/ open arms, but I bet she would have been glad to see her.

This episode it looks like we started to see more of the real Tom James...it looks like he has his own agenda...as well as everyone else on this show.  I guess he isn't the quiet, folksy arm candy like we all were show at the beginning.  

Still loving Ben and his quips.

What the hell was that granny gown that Selina was wearing?  I'm not saying she should have been in a negligee or anything but maybe a presidential pajama set or a so pajama pants and a t-shirt w/ a robe or something more than that.  For that matter the presidential bedroom left a little to be desired.

So if the President is bed-ridden due to illness wouldn't most things be put off to another day...like her meetings w/the joint chiefs and all that.  Her secret meetings w/her circle to get the bill quashed is another thing I understand, but setting up the office outside her bedroom?

Edited by CMH1981
(edited)

I can't decide what was better: Tom's "this is a long glass of frozen strawberry fuck up" or Dan calling Jonah a fanny pack.

ETA: As soon as Mike mentioned the memo app, I was convinced that Selina was going to accidentally send a really incriminating memo to the wrong person.

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • Love 4

I can't decide what was better: Tom's "this is a long glass of frozen strawberry fuck up" or Dan calling Jonah a fanny pack.

ETA: As soon as Mike mentioned the memo app, I was convinced that Selina was going to accidentally send a really incriminating memo to the wrong person.

I quite liked:

"I'll see you around, and by that I mean stay the fuck away from me"

and

"I wouldn't ask you to do anything I wouldn't do myself.. and while that isn't true, find some comfort in it."

• Love 3

I thought for sure it was going to be caught on camera at the end when Selina said "Fuck you America" because she told the crew to leave their equipment there. 

But I thought this episode was fairly weak in comparison to the rest of the season. For one thing I'm not really clear on why they decided to kill the Family First  bill. I think I am - I think what they were getting at is they could better profit from being made to look the victims after Congress voted it down. Is that right? Or is it that it turned into such a mess they wanted to blame congress for ruining it? They didn't really clarify their reasoning on this.

Also, I don't get why in the hell Amy and Dan would lobby congressmen to vote against the bill on the say-so of Gary. He has no power whatsoever and even if the administration is going to pay them for their time, why would they bother? They have to know that's illegal. This, more than anything, really emphasized the show is kind of struggling to keep Dan and Amy relevant.

There were the usual great one-liners but the narrative thread was kind of a mess. I guess they can't all be winners.

• Love 5

Felt exactly the same way. The AV Club review summed it up when well they said that if they had decided to introduce why they needed to kill the Families First Bill last week (in what was probably the best episode of the season, by my count, so maybe hacking it up wasn't the best notion) they could have really gone running here. I wasn't clear on why we needed to kill this bill, and the stakes never felt that huge, so as to justify the whipping they went through.

I am just getting over being sick so I feel Selina's pain. 

The tone this season is so much different from the previous seasons.  The snark is still great but there's an uncomfortable edge, probably due to the fact that as President, Selina now matters.

Congressman was dumb but oh so cute.

• Love 2

I don't get why in the hell Amy and Dan would lobby congressmen to vote against the bill on the say-so of Gary. He has no power whatsoever and even if the administration is going to pay them for their time, why would they bother? They have to know that's illegal. This, more than anything, really emphasized the show is kind of struggling to keep Dan and Amy relevant.

I think that Amy and Dan still yearn to be back in the inner circle at the White House.  Dan was forced out and Amy chose to leave, but you can tell they both want back in, so of course they are going to jump at any chance that might gain them favor to re-join the group.  They knew that Gary was just the mouthpiece, they probably both thought that Selina wanted them to help quash the bill.  They both know that Selina uses Gary to do the dirty work most of the time.

There were the usual great one-liners but the narrative thread was kind of a mess. I guess they can't all be winners.

I felt the same way. I spent a lot of the episode confused about the motivations behind the plan to kill Families First, and the lack of context was distracting. I feel like sloppy plotting has been an issue all season, though, especially the way Selina apparently winning the primary was glossed over.

• Love 1

They both know that Selina uses Gary to do the dirty work most of the time.

But not dirty work of a political nature: Selina would (and did) have Gary to break up with a boyfriend, but she wouldn't get Gary's help to kill a bill.  I was confused why it was being killed too, but remembered last episode with the 'girl's night' and how that group explained a few points why the bill sucked, so I think the bad feedback on the bill eventually caused them to can it to save her presidential run.  

I feel like sloppy plotting has been an issue all season, though, especially the way Selina apparently winning the primary was glossed over.

I thought of that too. They are really rushing the election aren't they? Right there in the (newly revised) opening title sequence we see headlines about Myers losing yet another primary. And for some odd reason they skipped right over all the primaries after the first and jumped to the party convention where she somehow became the candidate anyway. ?!? How did she end up getting the nomination if she lost so many primaries? Did her opponents just flame out spectacularly? Or drop out? That could have been a whole season right there. 

• Love 4

I thought of that too. They are really rushing the election aren't they? Right there in the (newly revised) opening title sequence we see headlines about Myers losing yet another primary. And for some odd reason they skipped right over all the primaries after the first and jumped to the party convention where she somehow became the candidate anyway. ?!? How did she end up getting the nomination if she lost so many primaries? Did her opponents just flame out spectacularly? Or drop out? That could have been a whole season right there. 

There were some allusions to it, mostly between the Bill Ericsson meeting and coming aboard and the Convention episodes. The 2 people she interviewed before James, Maddox and Chung, had previously be running against her. I seem to recall both finished behind her in the first debate (though Chung may have finished ahead of her in the first primary). Maddox looks to be completely lost, and basically done with politics come the convention, and Chung-mania appears to be waning. The cheers seemed less than enthused by his self-referential hero shtick again. Since spilling water all over his plug, Pierce has locked himself out of his own hotel room, and appointed himself ambassador of Dallas.

Meanwhile Bill admitted he was getting of the Thornhill express for everyone's benefit.

Plus as ganesh sasys, as she progressed in her presidency the party (probably backed by Furlong and Doyle) likely motivated the other candidates out in order to support the sitting president.

Selina is the incumbent President due to the resignation of the previous one. I stand to be corrected but I do not think  any incumbent has lost the nomination  for the Presidency for his or her party in modern American history. For all the moronic conduct, I cannot see it happening here either.

The losing of the primaries was from before. She lost a bunch and became VP. The incumbent rarely gets a challenge and those primaries are a formality.

No, they have updated the opening sequence this season. The first three seasons showed headlines about her downfall to being "proud to be Veep." This season they have headlines showing her downward trajectory in the recent primaries and one that says "Eight month president?" clearly indicating the media is speculating she won't even be nominated to be her party's candidate. She came in third in the first primary of the election season after she became president. The title sequence shows she lost more primaries after that.

• Love 1
I stand to be corrected but I do not think  any incumbent has lost the nomination  for the Presidency for his or her party in modern American history. For all the moronic conduct, I cannot see it happening here either.

I think that kind of ignores the extraordinary circumstances that led to Selina becoming President.  The closest comparison to her is probably Gerald Ford (though she actually was part of a winning Presidential ticket, whereas he was appointed VP), who nearly lost in the primaries, then lost the general election.  Though, in terms of trying to divine the future from history, we've seen time and again, it really is not much of a guide.  It's just a weakness of the plotting here.  They did show her in real trouble during the primaries, then kind of glossed over that to her winning the nomination.