Type keyword(s) to search

General True Crime Shows

Jaded
  • Start Topic

Finally got around to watching the last episode of Homicide for the Holidays, "Silent Night Murders".  It's about multiple murders outside a mall after closing time.  It was quite a convoluted process to find the perp and basically relied on something lucky happening in a far away town (or maybe even another state).  Then at the very end, they mention that the perp had driven his motorcycle to the mall and apparently wrecked it there, and left it there overnight very near the car where the murders took place, returning the next day to tow it away.  So, why on earth didn't the cops just have surveillance at the mall overnight, figuring that the owner of the motorcycle would either be the perp or someone who potentially was a very good witness, and would be coming back to get their damaged motorcycle?

• Mind Blown 1
  • Love 3

The latest episode of Interrogation Row was really good. Bobby really could have gotten off with self-defense if he had stopped after he tied up Mike. Bobby was at home with his two roommates and his friend when his friend's boyfriend showed up at shot a bullet into the front door and came in. Bobby and his roommates managed to subdue him and get the gun away from him. They tied him up and well yes did beat him with a bat until he stopped moving but he was still alive. Had they stopped right there and called the police they wouldn't have gone to jail. But they put the body into the trunk and drove him close to his grandfather's home and left him on the side of the road. Mike was still alive at this point and was spotted by someone driving by and called the police. He died later at the hospital.  Bobby and one of his roommates goes to prison the other one's case was dismissed because it was proven he left after Mike was tied up. I do feel bad for Bobby though when it finally dawned on him that his friend set him up. At first he really thought Mike showed up because he was jealous until he's talking with detectives and mentions that Mike didn't know where Bobby lived at first thought Mike followed his girlfriend to the house. Then you see in his eyes he realizes she gave Mike the address. The detectives didn't tell him that she also drew a map of his house and where the drugs and money were. I wish they had told him that too. That's horrible to set up your friend like that. Bobby was pissed when he realized what she had done. She deserved more then four to six years for that.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, andromeda331 said:

The latest episode of Interrogation Row was really good. Bobby really could have gotten off with self-defense if he had stopped after he tied up Mike. Bobby was at home with his two roommates and his friend when his friend's boyfriend showed up at shot a bullet into the front door and came in. Bobby and his roommates managed to subdue him and get the gun away from him. They tied him up and well yes did beat him with a bat until he stopped moving but he was still alive. Had they stopped right there and called the police they wouldn't have gone to jail. But they put the body into the trunk and drove him close to his grandfather's home and left him on the side of the road. Mike was still alive at this point and was spotted by someone driving by and called the police. He died later at the hospital.  Bobby and one of his roommates goes to prison the other one's case was dismissed because it was proven he left after Mike was tied up. I do feel bad for Bobby though when it finally dawned on him that his friend set him up. At first he really thought Mike showed up because he was jealous until he's talking with detectives and mentions that Mike didn't know where Bobby lived at first thought Mike followed his girlfriend to the house. Then you see in his eyes he realizes she gave Mike the address. The detectives didn't tell him that she also drew a map of his house and where the drugs and money were. I wish they had told him that too. That's horrible to set up your friend like that. Bobby was pissed when he realized what she had done. She deserved more then four to six years for that.

I forgot which board I was on when I was reading this and I thought this sounds like the most messed up version of The Brady Bunch that I have ever read about 🤣

• Wink 1
  • LOL 3

"Sherri Papini: Lies, Lies, and More Lies" is a "special event" on Oxygen this weekend.  Is she still lying about that abduction, or are they just recycling an old story to compete with Casey Anthony about who's the biggest liar?

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, Razzberry said:

"Sherri Papini: Lies, Lies, and More Lies" is a "special event" on Oxygen this weekend.  Is she still lying about that abduction, or are they just recycling an old story to compete with Casey Anthony about who's the biggest liar?

I saw a promo for that. Hadn't heard of her so I looked her up. Wow. In September she was sentenced to 18 months in federal prison followed by 36 months of supervised release. But the prosecutors asked the judge to sentence her to only eight months after her guilty plea (I assume it was a plea bargain). That judge wasn't playing. 

ETA: Is there a topic/forum for Oxygen's perennial series, Snapped? I couldn't find one but I've never made friends with the search feature around here. 

Edited by Jeeves
  • Like 2
  • Useful 1
12 hours ago, Vermicious Knid said:

There doesn't seem to be, but you can start one in the Other Non-Fiction Shows forum.

Thanks, but I'm not that into the series. Yesterday afternoon Oxygen showed a repeat of the 2020 Snapped episode about Betty Broderick which I wanted to comment on, but wasn't sure where to do it around here. 

Short version of my comments: I got no sympathy for Betty B. Sure, her husband done her wrong by dumping her for a younger woman. But she wasn't put on the streets to starve. She got something like $16K a month (in the late 1980's) for support. She had friends and a home. But instead of dealing with the loss of her marriage and trying to make as good a life as possible for herself and her kids? She went on what IMO was a narcissism-fueled rage campaign in which what mattered most were her hurt feelings. She emotionally abused her own children (the answering machine tape of her profanity filled rant to her young son which reduced him to tears - and the tears gave her no pause - is something I can't forget hearing). She didn't limit herself to verbal abuse and harassment - she intentionally drove her SUV into the front of Dan's house in the months between the divorce and the murders. The woman was out to take no prisoners and she ended up stealing the house key from her daughter's purse, sneaking into Dan and Linda's house in the middle of the night, and murdering them in their beds. Oh, and yanking the phone cord out of the wall in case either of them survived the shots and tried to call for help.

May she continue to be a guest of the great state of California. She's still in prison and I think her next parole eligibility is about ten years from now. She'll be over 80 by then. 

• Like 1
  • Applause 5

@Jeeves I am 100% with you. I lived in CA when this occurred and followed the whole case from start to finish. I remember thinking why didn't she just take her money and move on? The narcissism and nastiness she spewed made me actually feel bad for her cheating husband, and that is hard for me.  I hope she breathes her last breath behind bars. 

• Like 4
  • Applause 1
3 hours ago, BexKeps said:

The narcissism and nastiness she spewed made me actually feel bad for her cheating husband, and that is hard for me.

For me too! I can be so opinionated about such things. I tend to be snarky about married middle-aged guys who find "true luv at last" with a 20-something hot chick (usually at the office) and dump their wives. But whatever suffering Dan Broderick dished out, was more than returned to him by Betty's behavior after he left her. And I mean the stuff before she killed Dan and Linda. And besides that stuff, her cruelty to her kids really stuck in my craw. 

• Like 3

Betty probably could have been out of prison by now but to this day she has never shown real remorse or taken responsibility.  She does seem like a narcissist, so therapy is probably useless.   Her son said she's a likable person, except for the subject of Dan and Linda, then she still goes off.  She's right where she needs to be.

• Like 7
On 12/16/2022 at 4:01 PM, Jeeves said:

I tend to be snarky about married middle-aged guys who find "true luv at last" with a 20-something hot chick (usually at the office) and dump their wive

Let me tell you a story or two on this matter.

High-level man in my company cheated on his beautiful wife with her friend who was 10 years younger. Left his wife and married the friend, FF 20+ years and he leaves that woman for one of her acquaintances, 20 years younger....

My best friend's dad had an affair and left his marriage of 20 years for his wife's best friend. He never married the gf but he ended up leaving her 15 years later for another woman.

My point is this: If Betty had just shut up, put up and moved on, she could be having the last laugh right now but instead her narcissism and deadly need for revenge landed her in prison for the rest of her life. Sometimes waiting on karma to bitch-slap your ex and/or his new "luv" is the best revenge.

Edited by BexKeps
  • Like 6

Watched the recent episode, "An Execution in Bigelow" of the new Oxygen show "Sleeping With Death". And right off the bat, when the wife makes the 9-1-1 call, we know she's guilty, because the first thing she says after saying something's wrong with my husband, when the operator asks what's going on, is to establish the alibi "I was in my office and I heard a pop."  Not describing what she found, or what's going on with him, but explaining how it came to be and where she was.

• Like 4

Forensic Files II marathon on HLN today.  They're also running promos for another  "West Wing" marathon as an upcoming "Christmas gift" for viewers.   Ugh.  We must have been bad.

Edited by Razzberry
  • Wink 1
  • LOL 3

I've liked Florida Man Murders, Real Murders of Orange County, and NY Murders so I've set the DVR for this new one. Tried watching Murder under the Friday Night Lights and Atlanta Murders but didn't get into those. 

Oxygen celebrated Christmas by running marathons of Homicide for the Holidays and Snapped. As one does. 

• Like 5
34 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Does anyone know of any upcoming shows covering the Idaho student murders?  There was an arrest and I’d love to see a show about it.  

I hope there is a  show with more information soon.

Happy New Year!!!!

• Like 1
45 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Does anyone know of any upcoming shows covering the Idaho student murders?  There was an arrest and I’d love to see a show about it.  

So would I. I'm so glad there's been an arrest. I've been hoping all this time they had evidences and/or leads but worried that the cops didn't have anything.

• Like 1
8 hours ago, andromeda331 said:

So would I. I'm so glad there's been an arrest. I've been hoping all this time they had evidences and/or leads but worried that the cops didn't have anything.

I’ve read there was DNA…so they did a search like they did to catch Golden State Killer, plus he had that white car.  I’ll keep my eyes open for a special.  

• Like 2

If you have Hulu, I’d check out the movie The Suitcase Murder:the Melanie McGuire story.  It’s pretty good.  It seems to follow the facts pretty close.  I thought the cast did an excellent job, especially the lead.  Considering the content, it’s not too gory.  

• Like 2
On 5/12/2022 at 10:57 PM, LuvMyShows said:

Very surprised to have never come across anything before about the crimes of Todd Hodne, a Penn State football player from the later 1970s.  Truly awful.  ESPN did an in-depth story at https://www.espn.com/espn/feature/story/_/id/32496588/before-jerry-sandusky-penn-state-football-had-another-serial-sexual-predator-untold-story-crimes-fight-bring-justice but I have never read about it anywhere else, and surprised that no true crime shows have covered it.

Quoting myself because the most recent Murder Under the Friday Night Lights, "When Rules Don't Apply", was about this same guy, Todd Hodne.  The episode by necessity couldn't go into everything that the article did, but there was definitely a lot that the episode left out that just underscores the true awfulness of the guy.

• Useful 4
12 minutes ago, Vermicious Knid said:

Yet another case of Paterno ignoring/covering up sex crimes because it involved the football program.

Yeah, when I saw the promos for that episode I thought the recent sex abuse scandal would be the focus. I hadn't realized that there'd been this kind of thing going on at Penn State as far back as the 1970s. 

But indeed, it's sadly not even remotely surprising that Paterno's at the center of both criminal histories. Which makes it all the more infuriating that he stayed on for as long as he did. 

That whole episode about the '70s scandal was enraging in general. It's insane how much shit these creeps are able to get away with. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Useful 1
12 hours ago, Annber03 said:

Yeah, when I saw the promos for that episode I thought the recent sex abuse scandal would be the focus. I hadn't realized that there'd been this kind of thing going on at Penn State as far back as the 1970s. 

But indeed, it's sadly not even remotely surprising that Paterno's at the center of both criminal histories. Which makes it all the more infuriating that he stayed on for as long as he did. 

That whole episode about the '70s scandal was enraging in general. It's insane how much shit these creeps are able to get away with. 

Yeah, the obsession with football in some places was and is fanatical.  The blind devotion that contributed to so much pain!  Ugh…..Maybe, I’m biased.  I turned on football years ago after seeing documentaries about brain trauma and damage. 🙁   

• Like 2
1 hour ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Yeah, the obsession with football in some places was and is fanatical.  The blind devotion that contributed to so much pain!  Ugh…..Maybe, I’m biased.  I turned on football years ago after seeing documentaries about brain trauma and damage. 🙁   

Nope, I'm the same way. I get people being into sports in and of itself, and done right it can be a great way to learn teamwork and get good exercise and fresh air and all that, which, cool.

But indeed, the way so many people treat sports almost like a religion, even when it's something as simple as elementary kids playing games, and the way so many schools' obsession with it overshadows other aspects of their curriculum so much of the time, and all that...yeah. It's put me off, too. It's not THAT important, people, not more than making sure your students are safe and healthy and behaving like responsible, decent human beings. I just don't get how people can put winning a game over all of that. 

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
4 hours ago, Annber03 said:

Nope, I'm the same way. I get people being into sports in and of itself, and done right it can be a great way to learn teamwork and get good exercise and fresh air and all that, which, cool.

But indeed, the way so many people treat sports almost like a religion, even when it's something as simple as elementary kids playing games, and the way so many schools' obsession with it overshadows other aspects of their curriculum so much of the time, and all that...yeah. It's put me off, too. It's not THAT important, people, not more than making sure your students are safe and healthy and behaving like responsible, decent human beings. I just don't get how people can put winning a game over all of that. 

I agree.  It’s really a problem in my area…..UNC, NC State, Duke…….it’s crazy!  Mostly it’s basketball though.  

• Like 4

Omigosh. I just watched a repeat Snapped episode, Kristin Durgan. It was yet another sordid horrible stupid crime - the wife and boyfriend conspire to murder her husband, Jim Durgan. For money.  They were getting divorced and she'd be losing a lot of potential death benefits and life insurance once the decree was signed.

Two things stood out to me in this one. First, the awful suffering they inflicted on the victim before they killed him. Of course, the precious wifey wasn't personally present for that stuff. It's so icky to me that I'm going to spoiler tag it in case somebody would prefer to skip the deets.

Spoiler

Kristin summoned Jim to a recreation area out of town, with a phone call. Once he got there, a buddy of her boyfriend kidnapped Jim, took him to a spot in the woods and left him tied to a tree. Then the buddy left, and called the boyfriend and reported Jim was tied up as planned. The boyfriend then went out there and shot Jim to death, then dumped his body in a river. Jim had literally shouted himself hoarse trying to get help during the time he was left alone in the woods, and then begged for his life when the boyfriend showed up.

BTW the boyfriend's buddy who'd nabbed Jim and tied him to the tree, is the one who cracked the case. He ended up making a sobbing remorseful confession, IIRC claiming he had no idea Jim would be killed. He said that he'd been told Jim was a wife abusing jerk who needed to be taught a lesson. IIRC he was paid for doing that. He was an ex-con who I think had gotten re-arrested, so he may have been driven less by remorse than by hope of mercy when he confessed. Whatever. It broke the case open.

But the other thing that stood out, very strongly, was Kristin's dad's behavior. The backstory we got was that he was a very wealthy man and thus Kristin had grown up living a very comfortable, affluent lifestyle. 

After awhile the cops got a break in the case which led them to bring the boyfriend back in for questioning and he cracked. Then the next day, to their surprise, Kristin showed up at the police station, with her father, and said she wanted to talk to the detectives. Well, okay.

She started off stonewalling them and then started to crack, but said she wanted to talk to her dad so they said yes. Then they continued the interview with her dad present. TBH I was thinking okay this rich guy is gonna intervene any minute on behalf of his precious innocent little twinkie, and throw his weight around.

But. No. Ultimately Kristin cracked and confessed her involvement. Her dad was sitting there listening. Finally, he confirmed that she was involved in all of it. He turned to the cops and almost barked: "Arrest her."

There was a guy whose moral compass was working just fine. I darn near cheered at the TV.

On reflection, it was apparently well known that Kristin had a well-established gambling habit/addiction, which had put a lot of pressure on the marital finances before she and Jim divorced. I wonder if by that time her dad had a pretty clear idea of her issues and problems. 

Edited by Jeeves
  • Mind Blown 2
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 1

Dang, that's quite a story. Good for her father not bailing her out as one might expect he would. 

35 minutes ago, Jeeves said:

First, the awful suffering they inflicted on the victim before they killed him. Of course, the precious wifey wasn't personally present for that stuff.

That's the part that always gets me about these kinds of cases. They're willing to make these big bold plans to off their significant others, they want these people gone SO BADLY...but they just can't be bothered to get their own hands dirty. They're more than happy to let other people take the fall for their evil schemes. And then they act shocked when the whole plan falls apart and everyone, including them, winds up getting caught .Like, what the hell did you expect would happen, you idiot? 

• Like 3
  • LOL 2

So I'm watching too much true crime on TV over the past few days. I'm blaming it on being housebound, as I've been caught by the dreaded Corona - the virus, not the beer. Symptoms have improved rapidly thanks to the antiviral meds and I"m thankful to be feeling so much better so fast. 

Last night I watched a couple of episodes On Demand, of Oxygen's recent series, The Black Widow Murders. I mentioned the one episode I'd watched - about Sharon Nelson Harrelson - a few weeks ago. I'd read a book about her murdering ways but can't recall seeing a TV show about it until this one.

In the wee hours this morning, I watched another episode: Melissa Friedrich. AKA Melissa Ann Shepard. Holy carp. She was a lifetime grifter and thief who aged into a sweet, pretty, older woman who preyed on old men.  I'm not quite up to recapping all her deadly and nearly-deadly deeds. Which continued well into her 70's. By that phase of life, she excelled at finding lonely old guys via online dating sites, then moving in on them. She's done prison time in Florida and Canada in connection with two failed murder attempts, one on a FL boyfriend and the other on a man she'd met in a senior housing complex and married. 

She's now 87 and living as a free woman in Canada. Interesting article here: https://thecrimewire.com/true-crime/Canadas-Black-Widow 

• Like 1
  • Useful 4

"The Price of Glee" Explored in ID's New Limited Series.  The new three-part limited series will premiere on Monday, January 16, 2023 at 9/8c on ID.  Contrasts the extreme fame experienced by the young cast of the hit FOX high school musical series with the scandals that plagued its stars."  

What the hell?  Was someone murdered on this show?  

• Like 5
(edited)
On 1/6/2023 at 8:36 PM, Razzberry said:

"The Price of Glee" Explored in ID's New Limited Series.  The new three-part limited series will premiere on Monday, January 16, 2023 at 9/8c on ID.  Contrasts the extreme fame experienced by the young cast of the hit FOX high school musical series with the scandals that plagued its stars."  

What the hell?  Was someone murdered on this show?  

On 1/6/2023 at 11:50 PM, Vermicious Knid said:

One actor did die of a drug overdose. 

Cory Monteith died of an overdose, Mark Salling committed suicide by hanging near a dry creek bed not far from his home a few weeks before being sentenced in regards to owning child pornography (police found hundreds of images) and Naya Rivera was reported to have accidentally drowned while swimming in a lake with her son. I think they found out from what the young son said that she was able to get him over the edge of the boat and back into it before being pulled under. The family later filed a wrongful death lawsuit which was eventually settled. Those are the ones I remember off the top of my head. 

I meant to add that before he was discovered to have owned child pornography Mark Salling had paid an ex-girlfriend a settlement of $2.7 million after she sued him for sexual battery and assault. Here's a snippet from the linked article to which my reaction to that last part was 🙄🙄🙄...

Shortly after the lawsuit was filed in January 2013, Salling opened up to E! News about his legal troubles on the red carpet at the SAG Awards.

"You hear about fraudulent lawsuits all the time," Salling said. "Until it happens to you, you really don't grasp what it does, not to just you, but to your family, and you want the legal process to happen as fast as possible, but just...It takes time. I just want the chance to defend myself—and I will, vigorously." 

He added:  "You kind of have to learn as you go...You just have to stay positive, and I personally have a relationship with Jesus Christ and I count on that myself. And my parents are awesome, too."

Edited by Jaded
  • Useful 6
On 1/3/2023 at 3:09 AM, Vermicious Knid said:

New series on ID, Murder in the Wicked West. No witches or wizards unfortunately, this one involves cowboys. Three episodes so far, I've seen two. It's just okay, not as interesting or well done as many of the Oxygen series. 

What was interesting about the recent episode "Cowboy Conman" was that everyone agreed that the victim was a real sh*t...he was a womanizer who conned women out of money, and also lied to employers about his cowboy/ranch hand skills. Rarely is the victim ever portrayed so completely negatively.  

• Like 4
  • Useful 3

In the recent On the Case episode, "Confessions and Lies", it really hit home how bogus it is when the police conclude that someone knew details "only the killer would know".  A serial killer confessed to an additional murder, giving them details that they thought only the killer would know.  Of course, it turned out that he had gotten details from newspaper accounts, combined with evidence photos they showed him, and info they revealed in their questioning of him.  This happens all.the.time, and unfortunately it ends up being used against innocent suspects who "know" things they shouldn't -- because they've simply been observant to pictures they've been shown and what's been revealed in the questioning -- but police twist it to claim the suspect is guilty because they know this "unrevealed" information. 

Also, on the episode, after they had spent years focusing on this guy, the timeline of all his killings showed that he couldn't have been where this particular murder took place at that exact time.  Uh, isn't that something they should have found out waaaayyy earlier?

• Like 3
3 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Dateline is also covering Idaho student murder case tonight.  

Looks like both Dateline and 20/20 are covering this in prime time now. Taking advantage of my new streaming dvr options. 

• Like 4
5 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Dateline is also covering Idaho student murder case tonight.  

I'm watching that right now.

Is it me or does it seem like I've heard the town of Coeur d'Alene get mentioned in a LOT of true crime shows? Either a crime took place there or someone who was a victim was from there... So weird, 'cause I think that's a really pretty name for a town. 

• Like 2
  • Useful 2

Gutsy guy on the season 4 premier of "Accused: Guilty or Innocent".  He was accused of some time of malicious wounding that basically amounted to attempted murder, where he faced up to 22 years in prison.  The night before his trial he was offered a plea deal of 30 months probation and no jail time.  He was claiming self-defense (there was a robbery of his convenience store, his brother was wounded but the guy thought the brother was dead and that he was next, and so he took harsh action against the perp), but it was not clear-cut at all, even with a video of the whole thing. 

I really think I would have taken the deal under his circumstances, but he didn't, and he ended up being found not guilty. His brother, who survived, was adamant that he not take the deal, and I kept thinking "Oh no.  This brother is going to get the guy sent to jail for over 20 years." But fortunately, that didn't happen.

• Like 2

I saw something in the recent episode of ID's Murder Under the Friday Night Lights, called "Devil Came to Dance" that I'm hoping someone else saw and can weigh in on.  A girl was kidnapped, and they found some tracks/footprints that they suspected were hers and the kidnappers.  For hers, they saw a round circular "button" shape in the print and they concluded that she was wearing flip-flops (the plastic foot-strap that separates the toes, goes through to the bottom and would show as a round circle in a footprint from the original-style plastic flip-flops).  They showed the photo, and that was the end of that...it wasn't used in any way to help actually solve the crime.

However...in the photo, what you see for the button-shape, appears more than 1/3 of the way down the sole...somewhere between 1/3 and 1/2 way down the sole.  And using my own vintage plastic flip-flop for reference, the round button is actually far, far closer to the top, since that's where the foot strap is.  Further, the round shape they showed was significantly bigger than the little circle that my flip-flop has.  And IIRC, the circle was set in a bit, just like what you'd see on the bottom of an athletic shoe with a circle in the actual design of the sole. 

Also, I know that flip-flops differ, but if you've truly got the OG flip-flop style where the plastic foot-strap comes through to the bottom, then you've also very likely got the other two portions at the sole on either side of the foot where the strap comes through to the bottom, but the print they showed didn't have those other two circles.

And finally, the outline of the footprint that was supposedly hers looked way to big and solid to have been a young girl's flip-flop footprint.

Did anyone else happen to notice this?  If you haven't watched it yet, then keep an eye for it when you watch and let me know!

• Useful 3

I could never be a defense attorney!  I was watching an episode of A&E's Killer Cases about Kemia Hassel (the one who hatched a plan to have her husband Army Sergeant Tyrone Hassel killed when he came back from getting fast food).  A major point was her in-depth confession, which came after the detective gave her false information (that the killer had thrown her under the bus for her part in planning it, when in reality I don't think the detective had even spoken to the killer).  So the defense attorney tried to make a big issue that it was a coerced confession. 

But the prosecution had another piece of evidence, which was a pretty in-depth description of the whole thing, from prison to her mom in a phone call, which of course was recorded.  So the prosecutor wisely said something sort of sarcastic in closing remarks about "surely that confession isn't coerced too?"  But the defense attorney basically ignored the whole prison phone call entirely, and said something to the jury like the whole case hinges on whether you believe the confession to the detective was coerced.  Clearly it didn't, at all, and I simply would not be able to propose such an alternate version of reality and ignore the facts! 

• Like 1
On 1/13/2023 at 10:36 PM, LuvMyShows said:

Did anyone watch the premiere episode of "How I Caught My Killer" on Hulu?  I believe it was on yesterday.

I like this show so far.  It’s interesting that in the first two cases, the victims were both attacked, one almost killed, months before their murders!  Too bad one didn’t want it pursued and the other didn’t even report it to police!  What’s so disturbing is that in the first couple of cases, the victims are minors.  Very tragic.  I like the way the show is set up.  

• Useful 2
8 hours ago, LuvMyShows said:

I could never be a defense attorney!  I was watching an episode of A&E's Killer Cases about Kemia Hassel (the one who hatched a plan to have her husband Army Sergeant Tyrone Hassel killed when he came back from getting fast food).  A major point was her in-depth confession, which came after the detective gave her false information (that the killer had thrown her under the bus for her part in planning it, when in reality I don't think the detective had even spoken to the killer).  So the defense attorney tried to make a big issue that it was a coerced confession. 

But the prosecution had another piece of evidence, which was a pretty in-depth description of the whole thing, from prison to her mom in a phone call, which of course was recorded.  So the prosecutor wisely said something sort of sarcastic in closing remarks about "surely that confession isn't coerced too?"  But the defense attorney basically ignored the whole prison phone call entirely, and said something to the jury like the whole case hinges on whether you believe the confession to the detective was coerced.  Clearly it didn't, at all, and I simply would not be able to propose such an alternate version of reality and ignore the facts! 

I couldn't either. I know they have to come up with a defense but so many are so dumb I wonder how they could possibly think it was a good idea to go with and how they can keep a straight face while presenting it.

• Like 2

I've been watching Floribama Murders too. Not quite as interesting as NY Murders or The Real Murders of Orange County but I like it much more than Friday Night Lights and Wicked West

Caught a show called The Body in the Swamp, about the murder of Brianna Armstrong by her coworker/boyfriend Justin Cornell. He cut her body up and left it in garbage bags in the Great Dismal Swamp. Found guilty and sentenced to 40 years. I could swear I had seen this story before, maybe on a different show.  Finally found it had been on The Killer Beside Me. I don't understand why they are randomly plucking out episodes and presenting them as one-offs under new names. 

• Like 2