Type keyword(s) to search

General True Crime Shows

Jaded
  • Start Topic

3 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I just saw a new docu series coming soon to Netflix about Lori Vallows.  This is a rather big case.  I was surprised there’s no thread for it yet.  

Even though I feel like I know just about everything there is to know regarding this case, I will watch because I want to see what Colby has to say.  I think that Lori was always manipulative and kind of evil and only became more so when she met Chad Daybell.  Reading her custody documents of Tylee from Tylee's dad are pretty disturbing.  Lori manipulated that poor girl from the day she was born.  If only after Charles death the authorities had truly investigated Alex and Lori, perhaps Tammy, Tylee and JJ would still be alive.

• Useful 2

I’ve read and seen quite a bit about the Vallow case, too.  I recall finding a lot of what was said questionable.  Her supporters always frustrated me.  Most people don’t change who they fundamentally are as people. So, going from the perfect mom to a diabolical killer isn’t likely.   I think many family members chose to stay in denial about certain family member’s behavior.  I know I see it see it in my family.  Why some people are so immune to the truth is beyond me.  

I’ll definitely watch this docu series, though.  I wonder if family members will finally come clean. 

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I’ve read and seen quite a bit about the Vallow case, too.  I recall finding a lot of what was said questionable.  Her supporters always frustrated me.  Most people don’t change who they fundamentally are as people. So, going from the perfect mom to a diabolical killer isn’t likely.   I think many family members chose to stay in denial about certain family member’s behavior.  I know I see it see it in my family.  Why some people are so immune to the truth is beyond me.  

I remember, when I very first heard this case back when it was originally shared on "Dateline", they'd interview her friends and they kept going on about how she was a great mom because she always made sure her kids got to school in the morning and she'd get their lunches ready and whatnot.

And I remember thinking, "...so, she pretty much did the most basic stuff one should do for their kids, then?" Many moms do that stuff, that's what a mother is supposed to do for their children. It doesn't negate the fact that some moms who do that stuff also wind up abusing and killing their children. 

Like stated before, I can understand family members struggling to accept the fact that someone they know, someone they trusted, someone they love, could do something this especially heinous. I can sympathize with it being a lot to wrap one's head around and come to terms with. 

But yeah, at some point, when the evidence is THAT overwhelming... Course, in this particular case, I do remember hearing about how some of the family members and friends were connected to that freakshow cult in some way, too, and had their own shady elements to them, so, y'know, maybe it's more an example of this particular family just having a generally warped worldview overall. 

• Love 1

I recall a special about Vallow a couple of years ago….maybe Dateline….hmmm…..anyway, there was a friend of Vallow who lived in Hawaii, who gave some personal observations about her.  I can’t recall the details, but thought it didn’t make a lot of sense.  I’ll need to rewatch it to refresh my memory.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
On 9/3/2022 at 8:08 PM, kathyk24 said:

I don't think the victims of faith based scams are stupid. They believe that the pastor is the voice of God. Jim Bakker took advantage of that trust.

I was in an evangelical church for more than 10 years and never encountered a belief that the pastor IS the voice of God.  And from watching about other church scams/scandals, I've never encountered that belief.   But even if people did hold that belief, Jim Bakker admitted guilt from a massive fraud, so then they would have to believe that God scammed them...or they would have to realize that Jim Bakker was actually not the voice of God, in which case there is no particular reason to fall for his second-round scams unless they are being blindly loyal and not applying critical thinking (which is independent of forgiveness).

Edited by LuvMyShows
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3

The experiments on Reasonable Doubt are often hit or miss for me.  On the recent episode, "Murder Without Motive," they did an experiment to see if DNA could transfer and be detectable 2 days later.  In the experiment, they put something simulating DNA on the outside of a sweatshirt like the one that was worn in the show, and had someone sit on a couch, then had someone else come sit on the couch to see if the "DNA" was transferred and detectable 2 days later, which it was.  However, in real life, our clothes are not bathed in DNA on the outside to be easily transferred.  Instead the DNA would seem to be more plentiful inside the clothes, where our skin is making contact, therefore nowhere near as much would be available outside to be transferred. 

• Like 1
  • Love 2

I'm sure that I'm not getting all the details right, but on the recent Cold Case Files episode, "Murder in the Midwest", it was astonishingly appalling that the girl's death was ruled accidental by unknown means.  She was found over 10 miles from her house, in the woods (she didn't have a car and it's not somewhere you take a bus), naked, and covered by brush.  Yep, sounds accidental to me!  God bless the family member who kept the case alive all those years, especially getting the newspaper article written, which someone saw and reminded them of a similar death, which is how the case was solved.  

• Love 5
On 9/9/2022 at 8:29 PM, Tdoc72 said:

I wonder what happened.  I read earlier that the alleged victim audio recorded him in admitting to her accusations.  I also read that AZ has exclusion rules regarding evidence that is obtained that way…..if other person is recorded without their knowledge. Hmmmm……l

• Useful 1

Again I had a problem with the experiment on Reasonable Doubt.  In the "Aunt and Artifact" episode, they did a re-enactment of a burglary/murder, using that powder substance that mimics DNA.  And because the actual convicts were high on pot and K2 (synthetic marijuana), they put 'drunk goggles' on the re-enactors. And sure enough, quite a bit of 'DNA' traces were found after the re-enactment, because the re-enactors had stumbled around a lot while wearing the goggles.

However...Dr. Google says that the effects of being high on pot, and even K2, do not involve the same loss of coordination that is involved with being drunk.  And I have tried those 'drunk goggles'; they produce quite an extreme effect and are not tailored to different types of being high or drunk.  Further, earlier during the 12-hour window when the murder occurred, the suspects were driving around a lot while smoking, and they were not bumping into things while driving, especially to the extreme level that the re-enactors bumped into things during the short amount of time they had the 'drunk goggles' on.

I'm not sure what I think about whether Garrett is guilty or not in the burglary/murder of his aunt.  But one thing I wished they'd gone into, was that I think when Chris had the jail phone call with one of the other convicts (the father of the other young man convicted), Chris asked him when he met Garrett, and I think he said that it was the day before the burglary/murder.  Then when Chris asked Garrett why he brought the son and father to the aunt's house the day before the murder, he said they were just already in the car with him.  What is that all about?  How did he happen to meet them just the day before, and why was he going to his aunt's house in the first place? 

Also, there was GPS involved with tracing his route for that Jacksonville potential alibi, but there was no GPS for the day of the murder?  If so, I wish they had said something about it.  And I feel bad for Garrett's mom.  I think she just doesn't get it, because at the end, after Chris and Fatima gave the results of their investigation and the mom still wasn't convinced, Chris asked her what is her proof for why her son didn't do it, and she said something like, "I know my son."  Honey, that ain't proof.

• Like 1
  • Love 3

Yeah, some of their experiments do feel like they're missing a few elements worth considering (like, for instance, if they're trying to figure out if someone would've had enough time to get to someone's house to commit a murder, they time out the drive, which, great...except that some of these murders happened 20, 30 years ago and the town's likely changed since then and it may take more or less time now than it used to to get somewhere, so it'd be worth taking that into account when trying to figure out something like that). 

I was wondering if they were going to mention all the comments people were making about Garrett to his mom. They were wise not to, 'cause I don't think it would've helped anything or swayed her from believing in his innocence, but man, people sure had a lot of strong opinions about the guy...

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

There doesn't seem to be any activity in the Cold Justice thread, so I am re-posting here:

I've seen the first new episode, "A Mother's Last Words", and I definitely think the guy is guilty.  My only comment is about his car being seen leaving her house.  They talked to one of the women who was in the bar parking lot and asked what she saw.  She described seeing the car leave, and then I believe they asked if he was alone and she said yes.  But there is no way from that parking lot, that she would be able to see if anyone was in the car with him.  In fact, I'm surprised that he didn't try to go with the concept that no one actually saw him driving the car, so maybe some mythical other person had come along with him to her house and that person committed the crime or some other person had somehow got into the house and that person killed her and drove off in his car.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

Tonight's "Evil Lives Here: Shadows of Death" was so very sad. The 911 call Nasbah made was chilling, and poor Tomas, too, getting caught in the situation as he did. I liked Nasbah's son pointing out that he was the last kind face she ever saw, though. I'm glad he did do what he could to try and help her, though. 

Chris is an asshole and he deserves to rot in prison. 

• Sad 2

I’ve been watching the new season of Cold Justice live.  I can’t seem to find a way to watch them otherwise.  I didn’t comment on the thread, since there wasn’t any activity there. I think I was the last person to post on it.  

On 9/14/2022 at 3:19 PM, LuvMyShows said:

Again I had a problem with the experiment on Reasonable Doubt.  In the "Aunt and Artifact" episode, they did a re-enactment of a burglary/murder, using that powder substance that mimics DNA.  And because the actual convicts were high on pot and K2 (synthetic marijuana), they put 'drunk goggles' on the re-enactors. And sure enough, quite a bit of 'DNA' traces were found after the re-enactment, because the re-enactors had stumbled around a lot while wearing the goggles.

However...Dr. Google says that the effects of being high on pot, and even K2, do not involve the same loss of coordination that is involved with being drunk.  And I have tried those 'drunk goggles'; they produce quite an extreme effect and are not tailored to different types of being high or drunk.  Further, earlier during the 12-hour window when the murder occurred, the suspects were driving around a lot while smoking, and they were not bumping into things while driving, especially to the extreme level that the re-enactors bumped into things during the short amount of time they had the 'drunk goggles' on.

I'm not sure what I think about whether Garrett is guilty or not in the burglary/murder of his aunt.  But one thing I wished they'd gone into, was that I think when Chris had the jail phone call with one of the other convicts (the father of the other young man convicted), Chris asked him when he met Garrett, and I think he said that it was the day before the burglary/murder.  Then when Chris asked Garrett why he brought the son and father to the aunt's house the day before the murder, he said they were just already in the car with him.  What is that all about?  How did he happen to meet them just the day before, and why was he going to his aunt's house in the first place? 

Also, there was GPS involved with tracing his route for that Jacksonville potential alibi, but there was no GPS for the day of the murder?  If so, I wish they had said something about it.  And I feel bad for Garrett's mom.  I think she just doesn't get it, because at the end, after Chris and Fatima gave the results of their investigation and the mom still wasn't convinced, Chris asked her what is her proof for why her son didn't do it, and she said something like, "I know my son."  Honey, that ain't proof.

In the goggle experiment, the 3 person team had much less DNA left than when one person went in.  What got me is that the house was dark.  The shooting occurred during the day, according to the estimated time of death, so it would have been more light in the house. 

I wasn’t impressed with Garrett.  I didn’t believe him.  I read that he was living with the father and son duo in a trailer (a photo if it was shown) and it was on Garrett’s grandmother’s property.  I’ll have to find a link.  They had no visible means to earn money.  

Also, WHY would Garrett have dropped by his aunt’s house?  It was late June and would have been very warm in the car. So, he leaves father and son duo in the hot car to visit with his aunt?  No way.  No doubt, he asked the aunt for money.  She may have given him some or maybe she refused, but it’s very easy to believe they would return the next day to steal items.

The dad was smart enough to not try to sell the distinctive arrowheads.  An idiot would know that would connect you back to the murder.  But Garrett is so arrogant and foolish, he did it anyway.  I believe that all three went to aunt’s house to steal items.  One of them shot the aunt.  It could have been any one of them.  Still, it doesn’t matter. I assume Florida has felony murder rule, so in the commission if a felony, all players are guilty of first degree murder pursuant to felony murder rule.

Didn’t these guys realize that pawn shops inventory items.  Stolen items are located and linked to the thief.  In NC, one must present a valid ID to sell items at a pawn shop.  Most are on video too.  The only reason that Garrett was going to multiple pawn shops was to sell stolen property.  

Ref. Garrett’s GPS….it showed he went to Jacksonville the morning of the murder, returned to aunt’s hometown and then his GPS was turned off. So, no tracking was done fir the rest if that day.  The father son duo had no vehicle, so, unless he loaned them his car, they had no transportation to get to aunt’s house.   

• Like 1
  • Love 3
5 hours ago, LexieLily said:

How is "Evil Lives Here: Shadows of Death" different than "Evil Lives Here"?

It's basically that show "Shattered" that came out a few years ago, just under a different name. It features interviews with different people who were affected in various ways by whatever crime had happened - this episode featured interviews with Nasbah's son, Tomas' daughter, the prosecutor on the case, and a friend of Nasbah's as well. 

• Mind Blown 1
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, Annber03 said:

It's basically that show "Shattered" that came out a few years ago, just under a different name. It features interviews with different people who were affected in various ways by whatever crime had happened - this episode featured interviews with Nasbah's son, Tomas' daughter, the prosecutor on the case, and a friend of Nasbah's as well. 

Oh, thanks! I'm with you and @SunnyBeBe, I liked "Shattered."

• Love 2

I wish someone would do a show called Anyone Is Capable of Murder.  lol I’m so tired of hearing family members defend obviously guilty killers by saying that they are not capable of murder.  Under the right circumstances, most people are capable.  Plus, you don’t always know someone as well as you think.  

• Like 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 7
12 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I wish someone would do a show called Anyone Is Capable of Murder.  lol I’m so tired of hearing family members defend obviously guilty killers by saying that they are not capable of murder.  Under the right circumstances, most people are capable.  Plus, you don’t always know someone as well as you think.  

OMG this would be a GREAT show, and I totally agree with you!

• Love 3
6 hours ago, LuvMyShows said:

OMG this would be a GREAT show, and I totally agree with you!

It would feature people who no one thought was capable of murder.  It would have interviews with friends, family, co-workers, etc.  Then have mental health professionals discuss the process.  

• Love 2
13 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Has anyone seen Home Health Homicide on ID?  You can’t make this stuff up! Lol

I saw that on ID, right after Black Widows: Kiss, Marry Kill.   The Home Health care field should give them plenty of stories, but the patient being in on it was a new twist!   

• Love 2
16 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Has anyone seen Home Health Homicide on ID?  You can’t make this stuff up! Lol

I saw it but assumed it was an existing or old show packaged as something else. Is this a series?

Oxygen has a new Homicide For The Holidays (Halloween) on October 7, and ID has a new series called Love You To Death starting on Saturday 10/1.

Edited by LexieLily
  • Useful 3
  • Love 1

Not sure if anyone is watching Heartland Homicide (available on True Crime Network replay) but two things were noteworthy:

• I love it when perps' attempts at trickery end up doing them in...cops started questioning these guys about a murder, and they eagerly said to the cops, "We weren't there.  We were out-of-town looking at several different potential investment properties and here's our GPS to prove it".  So this was in the early days of those add-on GPS units you could put in a car, and what the dipsh*ts didn't realize is that if you program some addresses into it, but don't actually go to those addresses, then the GPS will just track where you actually DID go!  So their attempt to trick their alibi ended up greatly helping convict them.
  • On the other end of the spectrum, a beloved town doctor (who turned out to be a giant f'ing a**hole and really awful person) drove drunk and killed a father and his 10-month old child, while in unlawful possession of a loaded firearm.  And all he got was 2 years probation and a $1,000 fine!!!  Many townsfolk continued believing in him and viewed him as a "victim of unfortunate circumstances".  Also, somehow, in spite of those convictions for negligent homicide and DWI, he kept his medical license.  This was in the 1970s and I like to think that wouldn't happen nowadays.
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Love 2
On 9/20/2022 at 10:03 PM, SunnyBeBe said:

I’d like one where a family member starts out believing their loved one couldn’t murder only to realize at some point their loved one did. Like, their thought processes & what piece of evidence made them change their minds. 

• Like 2
  • Useful 2
  • Love 4
8 minutes ago, Tdoc72 said:

I’d like one where a family member starts out believing their loved one couldn’t murder only to realize at some point their loved one did. Like, their thought processes & what piece of evidence made them change their minds. 

But only if there is time devoted to the post-realization and whether or not the family member disowned the murderer or continued to visit them in prison because FAMILY.

• Like 2
  • Love 4

I just saw a new episode of Reasonable Doubt about an old case. I have followed the case for a long time. I think there’s a movie about it.  A woman and her infant are abducted and murdered in 1995.  Eventually, they charge the husband’s ex-girlfriend, from NC, who was 500 miles away.  The ex was super jealous and upset that the man’s new wife had been rude to her on the phone a few days earlier and told her to leave them alone.  I think they had been broken up for years!  Very Fatal Attraction like.  

So, the ex girlfriend gets 2 life sentences.  AND, wouldn’t you know it, she has a friend and a relative of the dead mother join forces to FREE this woman!!! She said the dead lady came to her in a dream to help and that the woman was innocent!  OMG!  You can’t make this stuff up!  You must see this story!   

Well, you can imagine how it goes. I’ve never seen the hosts so clear in their finding. This is a must see. This  was  BRUTAL! 

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Like 4
  • Love 4
1 minute ago, SunnyBeBe said:

.She said the dead lady came to her in a dream to help and that the woman was innocent!  OMG!  

Yeah, that was....something, for sure. 

I can see why people looked at the husband, of course - obvious suspect, and there was that moment when the ex talked about how the reason she and the guy broke up was because he didn't want kids, and now here's his wife and infant having been murdered. If he didn't want kids with his ex, I could see where someone might've wondered if he'd felt that way with his wife, too. 'Cause if he had, and then he found himself with a baby he didn't want, that could've easily been a motive for him wanting to kill them both, you know?

But at the end of the day, indeed, there was just far too much evidence stacking up against the ex. I agree the motive didn't seem the strongest one in some ways, but hell, people have killed others for less, and if she was still upset about the end of her relationship, or if she had seen him happy, both with his wife and with the baby, after saying he didn't want to have kids with her, that's certainly reason enough for her to want to destroy his happiness in that way. 

Didn't help that her defenders were so adamant that there'd be people who could vouch for her being somewhere else at the time of the murder....only for absolutely no evidence to come out backing up that theory. They had one guy who recanted his story, and then there was that true crime writer who'd written about the case (and who seemed to get a little more personally involved than she probably should've, I felt) who was insistent that the ex had an alibi. Not exactly the kind of rousing defense I'd hang my case on. 

• Like 4
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I just saw a new episode of Reasonable Doubt about an old case. I have followed the case for a long time. I think there’s a movie about it.  A woman and her infant are abducted and murdered in 1995.  Eventually, they charge the husband’s ex-girlfriend, from NC, who was 500 miles away.  The ex was super jealous and upset that the man’s new wife had been rude to her on the phone a few days earlier and told her to leave them alone.  I think they had been broken up for years!  Very Fatal Attraction like.  

So, the ex girlfriend gets 2 life sentences.  AND, wouldn’t you know it, she has a friend and a relative of the dead mother join forces to FREE this woman!!! She said the dead lady came to her in a dream to help and that the woman was innocent!  OMG!  You can’t make this stuff up!  You must see this story!   

Well, you can imagine how it goes. I’ve never seen the hosts so clear in their finding. This is a must see. This  was  BRUTAL! 

I have to see this one, now, because if the case is the one I'm thinking of I saw it on Forensic Files once. What was this episode titled so I can watch it?

• Useful 2
8 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

The Forensic Files on it was really good. How insane was that? It had been years since she was last with him and she killed his wife and baby. I can't believe the victim's mother thinks she's innocent! She killed your daughter and grandchild. 

• Love 5

Yeah, reminds me of that series of murders a few years ago, where the killer was disgruntled about a doctor who wouldn’t give him a recommendation.  He seethed for years and then killed family members and a nanny, as well as a few others.  It took a while for police to make the connection.  

• Like 1
  • Mind Blown 1
  • Love 4
10 hours ago, Annber03 said:

Didn't help that her defenders were so adamant that there'd be people who could vouch for her being somewhere else at the time of the murder....only for absolutely no evidence to come out backing up that theory. 

Here's what I found interesting about her alibi of being at the dance club.  If you recall, her reason for not having signed in on that Thursday night, was that on Thursdays there are lessons, and so she was already inside the club for the lessons, and didn't then go back outside and sign in when the lessons were over.  Chris asked her if that was always what she did for Thursdays.  And she answered in sort of a weird tone with something like, "Sir, I can't recall about that."  The only other time she put "Sir" in front of her answer, was when he asked her if she had anything to do with the murder.  So I'm wondering if her "tell" of when she's lying, is using the word "sir". 

• Wink 1
  • Useful 5
13 hours ago, LuvMyShows said:

Here's what I found interesting about her alibi of being at the dance club.  If you recall, her reason for not having signed in on that Thursday night, was that on Thursdays there are lessons, and so she was already inside the club for the lessons, and didn't then go back outside and sign in when the lessons were over.  Chris asked her if that was always what she did for Thursdays.  And she answered in sort of a weird tone with something like, "Sir, I can't recall about that."  The only other time she put "Sir" in front of her answer, was when he asked her if she had anything to do with the murder.  So I'm wondering if her "tell" of when she's lying, is using the word "sir". 

Yeah, it seemed weird that she couldn’t recall about signing the log on nights she took classes.  Because that was so important, you’d think it was researched, thought about and determined for certain, since her life depended on it.  But, I guess she didn’t bother to give it much thought.  I find that was not normal.  And, the night she refused to return the ex-boyfriend’s phone call.  If she were home, she likely would have.  She admitted that was strange and she doesn’t  know why she didn’t do it.  That’s a cold woman to have left that tiny baby lying on the ground to freeze to death.  And just drove away.  They couldn’t tell if she smothered the baby or left it to die from exposure.  

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 3
23 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Yeah, reminds me of that series of murders a few years ago, where the killer was disgruntled about a doctor who wouldn’t give him a recommendation.  He seethed for years and then killed family members and a nanny, as well as a few others.  It took a while for police to make the connection.  

I remember that one. Creepy as hell.

• Love 3
On 9/23/2022 at 6:56 PM, Annber03 said:

I'm not sure what it says about me that I said, "Ooh!" at this news :p. 

There will be new episodes of American Greed starting on Tuesday. I didn't bother watching Reasonable Doubts since I knew she was guilty.

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
20 minutes ago, LexieLily said:

Lifetime must want to get into the true-crime space. They just finished their season of that Phrogging: Hider In My House show and next Monday starts Meet, Marry, Murder. 

I'm guessing that their Meet, Marry, Murder is the same as the one on True Crime Network.  There are 20 episodes available for replay on the TCN website.

33 minutes ago, LuvMyShows said:

I'm guessing that their Meet, Marry, Murder is the same as the one on True Crime Network.  There are 20 episodes available for replay on the TCN website.

Lol, it's so irritating when old shows get pre-packaged as something new on a different network or even the same network. How are we supposed to know what to watch/record?

• Love 2