Type keyword(s) to search

General True Crime Shows

Jaded
  • Start Topic

Has anyone else seen the new daytime syndicated show Crime Watch Daily? I've only caught a few episodes but they seem to have plenty of stories that could be covered on those ID shows without the same stories being rehashed again and again. I'm still not sure what I think about the show though. It seems kind of like a tabloid feeling show that's trying to take itself seriously.

http://crimewatchdaily.com/

I'm watching, Jaded.  It is a totally trashy tabloid show, but they do seem to cover a few crimes I wasn't aware of, although not in depth (or very well).   :-)

• Love 2

It's a shame this forum isn't more active, true crime is interesting to talk about.  

Speaking of....I just watched the 48 hours from Saturday that I taped and as I was watching I thought it seemed familiar and I realized that Dateline did this story a while back. It was presented differently, but it's definitely not a new one. I wonder why these two shows overlap so much. I would think that they would try to be more different. 

• Love 6

I love true crime, also.  There is usually at least one channel at any time broadcasting a murder story.  I have noticed that some of the shows do repeat the subject matter, but with a slightly different twist.  We have ID and sometimes A&E and TNT and TLC and TBS all do true crime stuff.

• Love 1

I wonder how many people would be alive today, if they'd locked their doors.

Then I thank God I'm a city girl.

Or pulled down their shades/closed their curtains!  It always amazes me watching these shows how many times women are stalked and/or murdered due to scumbags watching them in their homes/apartments.  Soon as it gets dark, ALL my blinds & curtains are closed tight.  In the summer, I'll keep my central AC on before I'll open windows and my sliding glass door for a breeze --- and I live on the SECOND FLOOR of an apartment building! 

Edited by Maizie131
  • Love 5

Killer Instinct last night was one that's been done before on another show.  Lady has affair with single guy.  He moves in with his girlfriend, so she kills her and then stabs her husband during a blindfolded game of "guess the object."  (I shouldn't lol, but, um, let me guess...a knife?!)  So, yeah, that was memorable.  Anyway, I just thought the actor portraying the husband was an odd choice.  A lot of times on these shows, they cast someone considerably better looking than the real person, but the actor they chose to portray the husband was heavyset when the real guy was not.  Plus he really needed to work on his screen kissing technique.  I thought he was going to eat the actresses' faces off, blech.

Edited by tobeannounced
  • Love 5

Fatal Vows, Evil Twins, and Surviving Evil return this month, with four new shows as well.

Yay, love Fatal Vows and Evil Twins (being a twin myself).

Also, caught an interesting Dateline last night reporting on the disappearance of 3 young British woman in Japan. All three were drugged, and murdered and/or died from an OD of the drug given to them by a man or men taking advantage of them. Really creepy, in two of the cases the men, who were wealthy Japanese men, raped and videotaped themselves raping the women. I was with a friend who got roofied (sp?) while we were at a bar, and it is scary how quickly those thing's take effect. Be safe ladies, buy your own drinks!

Edited by BigBlueMastiff
  • Love 7

Killer Instinct last night was one that's been done before on another show.  Lady has affair with single guy.  He moves in with his girlfriend, so she kills her and then stabs her husband during a blindfolded game of "guess the object."  (I shouldn't lol, but, um, let me guess...a knife?!)  So, yeah, that was memorable.  Anyway, I just thought the actor portraying the husband was an odd choice.  A lot of times on these shows, they cast someone considerably better looking than the real person, but the actor they chose to portray the husband was heavyset when the real guy was not.  Plus he really needed to work on his screen kissing technique.  I thought he was going to eat the actresses' faces off, blech.

I noticed that too.  Sometimes they have less attractive actors, not sure why.  Either way what was up with this guy?  Did he have a magical penis?

• Love 4

Yay, love Fatal Vows and Evil Twins (being a twin myself).

But are you an evil twin? 

Also, caught an interesting Dateline last night reporting on the disappearance of 3 young British woman in Japan. All three were drugged, and murdered and/or died from an OD of the drug given to them by a man or men taking advantage of them. Really creepy, in two of the cases the men, who were wealthy Japanese men, raped and videotaped themselves raping the women. I was with a friend who got roofied (sp?) while we were at a bar, and it is scary how quickly those thing's take effect. Be safe ladies, buy your own drinks!

I saw that too! It was interesting because I had never seen it before. Sad, but surprising because you think of stuff like that happening in third world countries, you don't think of Japan, which seems rather civilized (to me, anyway). 

Edited by KellsBells
  • Love 3

I saw that too! It was interesting because I had never seen it before. Sad, but surprising because you think of stuff like that happening in third world countries, you don't think of Japan, which seems rather civilized (to me, anyway).

I agree, Japan is one of the last places I would worry about something like this, but those hostess clubs were pretty shady. And rich assholes are the same worldwide, they take what they want regardless of consequences.

Japan apparently is a place where women are abducted for the sex trade.

On a sad issue of Hoarding, a man's daughter was a stewardess, who disappeared from her hotel in Tokyo.

Apparently another stewardess disappeard in a similar manner.

I can't think of anything worse to have to live with.

So scary, it shocks me because Japanese culture is touted as being so polite, docile almost, though WWII would prove that assumption wrong.

Edited by BigBlueMastiff
  • Love 4

Japan is one of the last places I would worry about something like this, but those hostess clubs were pretty shady.

Japan apparently is a place where women are abducted for the sex trade.

On a sad issue of Hoarding, a man's daughter was a stewardess, who disappeared from her hotel in Tokyo.

Apparently another stewardess disappeard in a similar manner.

I can't think of anything worse to have to live with.

• Love 3

My parents, who live in the country, don't close their shades or curtains at night. It drives me nuts when I'm visiting. I feel so exposed.

OMG, my parents would have freaked out.  I can hear them now, rest their souls, "we are not living in a fish bowl."  Now I have two story ceilings and the upper windows are not covered, so I feel that fish bowl when I am sitting in my loft upstairs LOL.

Edited by mansonlamps
  • Love 2

OMG, my parents would have freaked out.  I can hear them now, rest their souls, "we are not living in a fish bowl."  Now I have two story ceilings and the upper windows are not covered, so I feel that fish bowl when I am sitting in my loft upstairs LOL.

I feel the same way! They just point out they're in the woods and the only things watching us might be raccoons or possums. Yeah, or meth heads looking for easy money. I live in the Midwest, and the only murders we have are drug related. A lot of them occur out in the country.

I gotta lay off the true crime TV. I'm so spooked I can hardly leave the house because I'm convinced an intruder will be there when I return.

Edited by bubbls
  • Love 1

Swamp Murders "The Devil Down in Georgia" last night was a case I hadn't heard of before, and it held my interest...no urge to fast-forward (a rarity these days for ID).  I actually like this show, although the opening (promo?) scenes every week w/the gal w/long hair in the beautiful dress floating to the surface of the swamp with her ring falling off her finger freaks me out every time. 

• Love 4

It's a shame this forum isn't more active, true crime is interesting to talk about.

I agree. For me there is something so compelling about trying to figure out the darker side of human nature - from the safety of my couch. Plus, there's the satisfaction I feel when the perpetrators get locked up.

I think the reason this forum isn't more active is because it's so difficult to find. The only reason I know about this thread is because someone from TWoP posted a heads-up about it when that site was closing down. And even after I first found it here, I still had a problem finding it again.

Moderators - Couldn't this topic also be listed under the "Shows" section - just to let more people know about it?

• Love 4

One problem for me, is that I'll watch so many together, that I forget where I saw it.
Too, I'm a whodunit fan, so I skip Wives with Knives and Evil Kin shows.
For some reason, I also dislike millionaire crimes.

• Love 3

One problem for me, is that I'll watch so many together, that I forget where I saw it.

Too, I'm a whodunit fan, so I skip Wives with Knives and Evil Kin shows.

I do too. Especially since a lot of shows on ID originally appeared elsewhere, like 20/20 on ID and Dateline ID. And I'm a whodunit fan as well, I like those where you're solving a mystery and how those steps are taken -- the forensics, in other words -- rather than the sensationalized aspect. 

• Love 3

Funny, because I have American Greed on right now.  I love millionaire crimes!  There's something about watching those who have loads of cash trying to get away with things that the rest of us can't, just because they think they can.  The "higher" they are, however, the better they fall.

I once directly worked for two wealthy owners of a sizeable company...bastards, both of them.  How I'd love to see them profiled on one of these shows just to watch them grovel a bit.  In fact, even though they weren't perpetrators (that I know of), whenever these shows feature a hedge fund scam or similar, I wait to hear their names as former investors or associates.  They certainly ran in those social circles.  Hasn't happened yet, but someday, someday.  LOL

• Love 4

From the Investigation Discovery thread:

I'm a whodunit fan, so I skip Wives with Knives and Evil Kin shows. For some reason, I also dislike millionaire crimes.

I'm a whodunit fan as well, I like those where you're solving a mystery and how those steps are taken—the forensics, in other words—rather than the sensationalized aspect.

Funny, because I have American Greed on right now. I love millionaire crimes! There's something about watching those who have loads of cash trying to get away with things that the rest of us can't, just because they think they can. The "higher" they are, however, the better they fall.

I'm an Anglophile, so I'm currently watching The Widower on PBS and The Enfield Haunting on A&E. (I'm unspoiled, but I always approach "hauntings" as a defense for true crime—like The Amityville Horror.)

I like Homicide Hunter on ID because Lt. Joe Kenda tells it like it is. And I like the dramatic stylings of Keith Morrison on Dateline NBC.

• Love 2

From the Investigation Discovery thread:

I'm an Anglophile, so I'm currently watching The Widower on PBS and The Enfield Haunting on A&E. (I'm unspoiled, but I always approach "hauntings" as a defense for true crime—like The Amityville Horror.)

I like Homicide Hunter on ID because Lt. Joe Kenda tells it like it is. And I like the dramatic stylings of Keith Morrison on Dateline NBC.

I totally missed The Enfield Haunting on A&E last night, editorgrrl.  I've set the DVR to catch a repeat of the first episode, so thanks for the heads up!

• Love 1

Season Finale of Death by Gossip last night: appalled by the fact they got 3 and 4 years--are you forking KIDDING me?!

I have to say I REALLY enjoyed the first season. It went by quickly, and each episode had me sitting up at the edge of my bed.

DVR'ing two of the upcoming shows: True Nightmares and Killer Confessions.

I REALLY love Reelz' Murder Made Me Famous and Autopsy: The Last Hours Of. I always check to see if someone has started a thread. It's not that I'm lazy, you guys are just so much more quick-witted! :p

• Love 2

Matthew Eric Heikkila. The Bad Son on Your Worst Nightmare. Has a book written about him "The Dark Son" by Denise Lang. He changed his last name to Dibenedetto. He is now in Kentucky State Reformatory. Newspaper article says he joined prison gang Viking Aryan Brotherhood and got more time on his double murder 60 year no parole sentence. Findadeath.com reported he was marrying a Jillian Houle from CT next August. Has been married before also. In prison till he is minimum 80 years old. Probably die a painful lonely AIDS related death. I hope so. The most deserving person of a prison assault I ever heard of. Deserved the death penalty. Psychopathic.

Edited by WendyCR72
Removed terminology to adhere to board guidelines

Last night's Fatal Vows was disturbing. Kim Baldwin convinced a guy to kill her ex husband Frank, because he received primary custody of their two kids, and she was reduced to supervised visits for a few hours a week. And the reason she lost full custody was all her doing!!! Lied to the court about her ex molesting their daughter to interfere with his visitation rights, caused her ex's new girlfriend to lose her job just for dating Kim's ex (even though the relationship started long after their divorce), and I think Kim even interfered with Frank's gf's custody arrangement. Kim is a sick, twisted, despicable person.

This type of story has been portrayed before ad nauseum on ID, and other shows, however this specific story was new to me. I was especially disgusted by Kim because I felt she was the sole one responsible for her outrage, yet she dealt with that by having her ex executed.

• Love 2

I like Fatal Vows and the two experts.  Kim was a mess.  Watched Hell House and boy was it a stretch.  An evill house, watch out.

I like them too! Reading your comment I now realize why I like Fatal Vows and its because of the experts. They work well together and their analysis is insightful.

• Love 3

I like Fatal Vows and the two experts.  Kim was a mess.  Watched Hell House and boy was it a stretch.  An evill house, watch out.

I haven't watched Fatal Vows, but Hell House was a piece of crap.

Did anyone watch 48 Hours on ID: Wounded by Love last night?  I'd like to know what you guys think -- was it murder or suicide? 

I thought it was manslaughter, and was surprised she was acquitted.  It was probably an accident, but alcohol and guns should NEVER be mixed.

• Love 5

There's something about watching those who have loads of cash trying to get away with things that the rest of us can't, just because they think they can.  The "higher" they are, however, the better they fall.

They weren't "millionaires" exactly, but when I was a teenager I worked for a pretty well-off family (compared to mine) with two kids. My summer job ended when he was arrested for trying to hire someone to murder his wife. Wish I could remember their names! 

Season Finale of Death by Gossip last night: appalled by the fact they got 3 and 4 years--are you forking KIDDING me?!

I have to say I REALLY enjoyed the first season. It went by quickly, and each episode had me sitting up at the edge of my bed.

DVR'ing two of the upcoming shows: True Nightmares and Killer Confessions.

I REALLY love Reelz' Murder Made Me Famous and Autopsy: The Last Hours Of. I always check to see if someone has started a thread. It's not that I'm lazy, you guys are just so much more quick-witted! :p

I like Murder Made Me Famous also! I didn't think I would, because these stories have been explored ad nauseum, but it's very well done. Can't watch autopsy, just can't. I have never watched Murder By Gossip, I'm going to have to give it a try, but am going to be traveling for the next few weeks, so won't have access to the ID channel for a while.  

• Love 2

I've been watching Web Of Lies and I am absolutely GOBSMACKED at how clueless and careless some women can be--especially women with CHILDREN FFS, who invite strangers into their home and then are oh so surprised and heartbroken when they turn out to be scammers at best and killers at worst.   I just watched the episode about Ray Holycross/Press and I have to say the women featured should be turned into Children's Protective Service for exposing their young children to this scammer/ gun toting criminal.  They got no sympathy from me--they came across as complete morons and idiot. One women even went on the internet,  SAW FOR HERSELF hat a dirtbag the guy was and STILL invited him to live with her {ok if you want to risk your safety AND HER YOUNG DAUGHTER. {actually they both did}.

Are women so starved for dick they would rather put their children  at risk and ignore every freaking red flag waving in their face?

What the hell happened to, you know, COMMON SENSE?

Edited by One More Time
  • Love 8

I watched the first Killer Confessions, and I thought it was done really well.  I was hesitant to watch it at first because one of the things I usually skip in this true crime genre that I love is anything about coerced confessions.  It just tears me up.  I really didn't want to watch some poor person, usually mentally challenged, being grilled for hours and deprived of basic necessities until they confess.  This case was totally the opposite.  The criminal even thanked the cops afterwards!

• Love 4

tobeannounced - I watched it, too and agree w/you.  I also watched True Nightmares, which was good in a sorta Jerry Springer-type way, and the 3 cases it featured I'd never heard of before.  I actually didn't believe they were true stories until I Googled them.  Yes, indeedy.  I'll definitely give both these shows another chance.  And the best part -- I didn't have the urge to fast-forward even once (like I did during last night's Swamp Murders, which wasn't one of their best, in my opinion). 

• Love 4

Still have Killer Confessions oN the DVR (Wednesdays are an AMAZING night between AHS, Kingdom, and South Park).

Y'all, I LOVED True Nightmares!! Mr. Robbins has the potential to be up there with Keith Morrison and Lt. Kenda as best host. All three stories were amazing, but the first story was INSANE (and I literally cringed and squealed with the teeth).

• Love 2

Still have Killer Confessions oN the DVR (Wednesdays are an AMAZING night between AHS, Kingdom, and South Park).

Y'all, I LOVED True Nightmares!! Mr. Robbins has the potential to be up there with Keith Morrison and Lt. Kenda as best host. All three stories were amazing, but the first story was INSANE (and I literally cringed and squealed with the teeth).

punky - OMG I had to turn away during the teeth thing - unbelievable!  Since I'm not a fan of the show (and have only seen once), I wonder if that one was featured on Deadly Women.  I'll bet it was.  Anyhow, I, also, enjoyed Todd Robbins' narration.  After reading your post, I looked him up & read an article about this new show for him.  They compared him to Rod Serling/Twilight Zone type format, which is a much better depiction than my Jerry Springer comment.  It's a real good show, and I think he did a real nice job with the stories, too (gruesome as they were). 

• Love 2

I don't even remember seeing commercials for True Nightmares.  I skipped it because of that, but I guess I'll have to check it out after these recommendations. That's what's so great about this thread - I know if most of you like it, I probably will too.  

• Love 3

I don't even remember seeing commercials for True Nightmares.  I skipped it because of that, but I guess I'll have to check it out after these recommendations. That's what's so great about this thread - I know if most of you like it, I probably will too.  

tobeannounced - I don't recall seeing any for it, either, but this is definitely one you should watch.  I'm interested to see what Barbara Walters does with her new show, American Scandal that starts in November (I think).  I'm not a real fan of hers (altho must admit I used to watch all of her "Specials" of Hollywood people back in the day), but I'll give it a chance.  I see that Murder Book is also returning in November, which I've really enjoyed.  Who knows...maybe Investigation ID can "turn it around" & be a good channel to watch again.  They certainly won me over with A Crime To Remember!  Doubt if they'll ever top that one!

• Love 4

My tolerance level for Paula Zahn's show is at about zero (I always ff to the end).  If there's nothing worth watching on other channels, I'll put on ID reruns.  Every single fucking time I hear her say "...in her/his OWN bedroom" ... or "...in her/his OWN home..."  I can't get to my remote fast enough!  Who the fuck else's bedroom or home would she/he be in?!?!?  (This is, of course, after the "intro" to the show which clearly indicates where the murder occurred.)  Oh my God!  Just the inflection of her voice sends me over the edge -- which is the exact reason why I never watch Tamron Hall's show, either.  They obviously went to the same school. 

Sorry...had to vent.  Maybe I should've taken this post to the  "Pet Peeves" forum?!?  But they don't have a category for shows on TV that REALLY piss us OFF!  hahaha!  Can someone make one?  hahaha! 

Edited by Maizie131
  • Love 8

My tolerance level for Paula Zahn's show is at about zero (I always ff to the end).  If there's nothing worth watching on other channels, I'll put on ID reruns.  Every single fucking time I hear her say "...in her/his OWN bedroom" ... or "...in her/his OWN home..."  I can't get to my remote fast enough!  Who the fuck else's bedroom or home would she/he be in?!?!?  (This is, of course, after the "intro" to the show which clearly indicates where the murder occurred.)  Oh my God!  Just the inflection of her voice sends me over the edge -- which is the exact reason why I never watch Tamron Hall's show, either.  They obviously went to the same school. 

Sorry...had to vent.  Maybe I should've taken this post to the  "Pet Peeves" forum?!?  But they don't have a category for shows on TV that REALLY piss us OFF!  hahaha!  Can someone make one?  hahaha! 

BIG Sympathy hugs from me and thumbs up!  PZ should NEVER be allowed to talk that much, TH just the same.  That obnoxious inflection she does, GAH!   There is one more voice I cannot abide, and it is just a voice-over on some crime show (I forget which) but that same horrible inflection!

• Love 4

Did anyone see Evil Twins?  Not sure what to think.  They were horrible people but the train crash was a stretch.  They were so fucked up on meds they could not get off the tracks.  They drove from Tennessee messed up.  They should not have been on the road.

• Love 1