Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E12: And The Rest Is Drag

• Start Topic

(edited)

I have loved reading about the gradual growing of the love and appreciation for Violet that seems to have really picked up momentum the last several weeks.  Even more since she was probably one of the most disliked queens through at least half of the season.  Even though I've loved her since Episode 1 I could understand that and see where people were coming from, which makes her transformation all the more impressive.

I don't think that she's really changed that much (although she has definitely grown), but it's been more of a just 'pulling out enough to win' type thing.  Which is really smart if she actually planned out her growth arc before coming on the show.  Much more useful than just being a superfan that can name all of the contestants and Snatch Game characters.  Pay attention, Sasha Belle and (to a lesser extent) Trixie!

Because it's not how you start, it's how you finish.

I'd be happier if  Katya was in the finale instead of Pearl because then I'd pretty much be okay with any result.  I liked Ginger well enough and I think she's as deserving as anybody.  I also wish that Katya had had more confidence in her Russian persona and used it during the season, because her entrance and her BFF character were stellar!

Edited by Sile
  • Love 5

I was both laughing and rolling my eyes when Pearl said that Ru said she looked tired. Pearl has never looked tired. She has looked bored, stoned, completely uninterested, or half asleep, but never tired.

I loved Kennedy's imitation of the Pearl Smash dance! And I loved that production showed us clips of the Pearl Smash dance from previous episodes.

I was totally with Candis when she was getting exasperated by all the low rent shit happening. Earrings flying! Wigs sliding back! "These queens. Come on, don't they know a bobby pin when they see one?"

I also found it hilarious that Pearl said that Ginger and Kennedy would definitely have huge hair for the final runway and then she showed up with a wig to rival Christina Aguilera in the Lady Marmalade video.

Kennedy was by far the best dancer in the video and her runway look was great, but I agree that she shot herself in the foot with that little speech of hers. I think she could have conveyed her message more diplomatically, but to be honest I don't think that public speaking is her thing. Of the top four, Ginger is the only one who I would trust to speak to an audience.

• Love 3
(edited)

Of the top four, Ginger is the only one who I would trust to speak to an audience.

This is why I think WOW would be shooting themselves in the foot if they go with one of the other two, and particularly Pearl. Ginger was right when she reminded them it's about a whole lot more than the check and a crown.

Rumor has it of the top three only Ginger showed last night for the VIP meet and greet after the taping. The other two snuck out the back door. Ginger, Katya and Trixie were there until 2 AM. If they can't muster the energy to show up to say hi to a bunch of fans who paid $450 to attend the coronation, can they really match the grueling schedule Jinkx and Bianca have maintained since their wins?

Edited by SteveAC10
  • Love 5

So it turns out I'm not really interested in seeing who wins, because I'm not really rooting for anyone.

Pearl could be replaced by a mannequin.  Maybe she's capable of more and is too overwhelmed to show it, but delivering the goods under pressure is a reality show requirement.

Violet is essentially Baby Raja, and we've already had the real thing.

Ginger is a worthy finalist, but a win would essentially place her as the best plus-size girl they've found, and I can't get behind that.

• Love 4

So it turns out I'm not really interested in seeing who wins, because I'm not really rooting for anyone.

Fortunately we've got folks here willing to take the hit for us. This is the first season since I started watching (in S2) that I've actually skipped episodes, such as this week's. 

• Love 1

Honestly they should just give the win to Bianca again.  When she steps on stage to pass the crown off to whomever Ru should say ya know what, gurl just take it for another year.  Because no matter who wins this season none of them can hold a candle to Bianca. 

God I hope this isn't a trend going into the rest of the seasons!  The "well they're alright but not nearly as good as Sharon, Jinx, or Bianca" kinda attitude.  Let's give the win to the one who sucks the least is the death of any reality tv competition show.

• Love 9

Honestly they should just give the win to Bianca again. When she steps on stage to pass the crown off to whomever Ru should say ya know what, gurl just take it for another year. Because no matter who wins this season none of them can hold a candle to Bianca.

Ha, I never considered that possibility but I'm on board!

• Love 3

Sure, some shows have had the surprise double elimination, but have any of them come down to the final three and just not chosen one of them? Had a surprise triple elimination instead of choosing a winner? That would be a twist no one saw coming. I'd be ok with another year of Bianca or Jinx, or even with Ben Dela Creme or Nina Flowers winning this season. Ru could even break out the old,"I have never yelled at a girl like this before, I was rooting for you, we were all rooting for you..." Ginger seems like the least worst of the final three, and she might be up to the job but she isn't the caliber of most past winners, or even the best of this stupid season. How did they cast a bunch of queens who can't lip sync or dance, who can't sing, who can't dance, who can't do stand up or are used to working with a crowd, etc. Most of them were just too green. And if they wanted to keep a couple of those around I wish they hadn't kept Pearl.

• Love 4
(edited)

I think Pearl has a great sense of humor. I get her, and I enjoy watching her. She has done a good job in many challenges, including in the acting portions of this episode. It's like fans and non-fans are judging her according to whether or not they like her, not according to what she's actually doing. I believed her in Untucked that she was shocked at Ginger's comment on the runway because she thought Ginger understood why Pearl did what she did. And I appreciated that Pearl called this show out for what it is: a game. She decided not to play if it came to compromising herself, whereas Ginger decided to play to win. Those are two valid choices.

All of the vitriol against Ginger and Kennedy calling out their fellow queens is completely lame, imo. They were asked to say why they should win and their fellow competitors should not win. Ginj and Kennedy did that. Violet and Pearl did not, but that doesn't mean that Ginj and Kennedy were wrong for answering the question.

Ginger should win. She is funny, she's a good actress, good at makeup, a passable dancer, and a hell of an entertainer if her youtube videos are anything to go by.

Violet can turn out a good look but what else is she good at? Ru kissing her ass about her talent was an eyerolling moment for me. There's a LOT of improvement necessary there for her to top what Ginger already has.

I thought Ru's smile while she was "juicing" was the most hilarious moment of the episode. I enjoyed that very much.

The speculation about the conspiracies behind this show are pretty ridiculous and ring false, imo. This show has a budget no larger than any other competitive reality show, so all these edits and re-edits people think they are doing seems like an inordinate amount of bullshit to go through to please a subset of vocal fans. Quite frankly, I am pretty sick of coming on here and having to wade through a bunch of posts about reddit and stans and who's right, who's wrong, and who's not watching anymore (!) etc etc etc when I am looking for discussion of current episodes. If I wanted to know about reddit and youtube comments, I would go there and read those things. If people aren't watching then how can they comment on the current episode?? Enjoy the show for what it is or do something else with your time for crying out loud.

Edited by micat
  • Love 2
All of the vitriol against Ginger and Kennedy calling out their fellow queens is completely lame, imo. They were asked to say why they should win and their fellow competitors should not win. Ginj and Kennedy did that. Violet and Pearl did not, but that doesn't mean that Ginj and Kennedy were wrong for answering the question.

Ehh, it bothered me (ish, I'm really not that invested in it) for two reasons. First they didn't say why their competitors should win, they said why Violet and Pearl don't deserve to win. I don't think it would have been as big a deal though if Ginger mentioned why Kennedy shouldn't and Kennedy mentioned why Ginger shouldn't. It reads as a specific antipathy, not a general answer.  They're one another's competitors as well. Secondly, and this is related to the first reason, when you say you're fine with your friend winning just as much, I don't think you're hungry enough. You can't say "this is not RuPaul's Best Friend Race" and then say, "but if my friend wins, it's cool, she's deserving too." No ma'am. I want you to want it.

I'm #TeamViolet, but I wouldn't mind a Ginger win. I don't think the winner can be compared with previous girls, and I'm okay with that. Violet has been doing drag for three years, whereas Bianca has been doing drag since 1996, Jinkx since 2003, Chad since 1991, Sharon since 2004, Raja since at least her twenties so going on around 20 years experience, Bebe since 1997, I'm unsure about Tyra, but I'd guess around 8-10 years. Ginger has been doing drag going on ten years and it showed in her performances, but even so, this has been the season of the regional and the green. It's unfortunate that they'll probably pale in comparison to a almost 20 year vet as the previous season's winner, but what else could I expect when they casted this way?

So glad the bitch Kennedy is gone. Her outfits were horrible especially the pride parade and chicken costumes and she looks like she belongs in a Las Vegas revue circa 1979. Bye bye witch! Of the rest of the queens, I think Violet is amazing. The review of her looks on the runway during the judging made me realize that she is the most fashion forward and versatile of the bunch (with the exception of Katya, who would have been my original pick for winner). I wouldn't be mad with a Ginger win either but like someone up thread mentioned, her aesthetic is basically one-note John Waters/Hairspray, and I don't see her changing much if she wins, but at least she is funny and can act. Pearl is the wildcard. I feel like she might surprise everyone and take home the crown, although she would be one of the worst winners for me alongside Tyra Sanchez if she does end up winning.

• Love 1
(edited)

This episode made me really wish that Ginger had a tougher shell... if she wouldn't have cracked and let us see the festering inside, I'd still be behind her.  At this point, I'm now firmly in #teamViolet ... I think she has the most potential of the three left.  Pear is pretty and all.. but she doesn't have the grace necessary.... if "PEARL SMASH" is your go-to move... you're effed as a drag queen.

-edited out off topic ideas... putting them somewhere else-

Edited by TheLukeP
  • Love 2

Pearl is pretty and all.. but she doesn't have the grace necessary.... if "PEARL SMASH" is your go-to move... you're effed as a drag queen.

Did you read the Entertainment Weekly recap of this episode? I can't get this image out of my head:

Candis put it best when she said, “Ugh, these queens!” At this point last season, Bianca, Courtney, and Adore were giving us life with their music video performances, whereas this year, Pearl was giving us the same clumsy movements (the other queens dubbed her dance moves “PEARL SMASH”). It’s like she’s constantly booby-honking an invisible nine-foot-tall woman, a.k.a. Latrice Royale.
  • Love 3

From what I can tell, a huge chunk of the pretty young thing fanbase wouldn't even be able to pay to see them if they wanted to. They're either not 21, or they live in areas of the US (and the world) where the opportunity doesn't even exist. An awful lot of them seem to have discovered drag on the internet and by watching RPDR (and some admit to never even having seen the actual show)  - they have no frame of reference for what a real, live working queen does to feed herself. They dismiss talents like acting, singing, dancing not as gimmicks like Roxxxy Andrews did in season 5, but as irrelevant to the "future" of drag (along with lip syncing skills and the ability to work a crowd).

For some reason this made me think...what if they're not wrong about the relative value of actual talent when it comes to being a working drag queen?

I mean, drag queens emulate the female celebrities of the time (and of the past).  So...why couldn't there be a shift to something more Kardashian where there's no need to have actual talent, or even personality, because it's entirely about the image, and that can be constructed by a team of experts if necessary?  Could you theoretically be successful in drag relying on Instagram, maybe the occasional Vine where you have to display some kind of energy for, what, 10 seconds?  

Maybe you lose the bar scene, but in my experience the gay bar scene is dying anyway.  And, you'd reach all those kids who aren't old enough for the bars, or who live where they can't get to one.  So maybe...there's some logic in shifting focus away from what I'd guess you'd call traditional drag.  Get a website, throw on a Donate button, let the crazy internet do it's thing.  

It's kind of interesting, I think.  Or maybe I'm looking for depth where there is none, because while I'm not hating this season as much as some here seem to be, it does feel like a weaker season- wigs moving, falling off? really?- so it's nice to imagine some other element at play.

• Love 4

For some reason this made me think...what if they're not wrong about the relative value of actual talent when it comes to being a working drag queen?

I mean, drag queens emulate the female celebrities of the time (and of the past). So...why couldn't there be a shift to something more Kardashian where there's no need to have actual talent, or even personality, because it's entirely about the image, and that can be constructed by a team of experts if necessary? Could you theoretically be successful in drag relying on Instagram, maybe the occasional Vine where you have to display some kind of energy for, what, 10 seconds?

Maybe you lose the bar scene, but in my experience the gay bar scene is dying anyway. And, you'd reach all those kids who aren't old enough for the bars, or who live where they can't get to one. So maybe...there's some logic in shifting focus away from what I'd guess you'd call traditional drag. Get a website, throw on a Donate button, let the crazy internet do it's thing.

It's kind of interesting, I think. Or maybe I'm looking for depth where there is none, because while I'm not hating this season as much as some here seem to be, it does feel like a weaker season- wigs moving, falling off? really?- so it's nice to imagine some other element at play.

I'm about as cynical about that as I am about the fame of the Kardashians. If I remove my personal feelings about entirely constructed social media fame, I just don't think the audience for a queer art is broad enough to have it's own celebutantes. As I've said here, the worship of the fashion queens seems to stem entirely from free social media like Instagram, and - save Miss Fame - they don't market anything but T-shirts. These queens are models for their own designs, but unfortunately there are models and designers who are better at that.

Now, I do think there are ways for Pearl and Miss Fame to monetize their senses of style, looks, and makeup skills, sans performance. Miss Fame could be a makeup maven who uses drag to promote her talents (or a small scale makeup line) and Pearl, if she improves her communication skills, could be a club promoter a la her club kid predecessor, James ST. James, or use her drag to promote a career as a makeup, hair, or costume stylist, probably for movies or theater most fittingly.

But those are ultimately limited in staying power and market. I think the future of drag - in terms of profitability and popularity - lies with queens like Katya, Jinkx, Willam, and Bianca, who keep one foot in the gay bar scene, but have the business smarts, creativity, and bona fides as entertainers to move into more mainstream venues for performance and into film or TV. Of course, web presence is a HUGE opportunity to make a reputation outside the bar scene, and Katya's web series shows the potential of digital media to expand a DQ's career.

• Love 2

I mean, drag queens emulate the female celebrities of the time (and of the past).  So...why couldn't there be a shift to something more Kardashian where there's no need to have actual talent, or even personality, because it's entirely about the image, and that can be constructed by a team of experts if necessary?  Could you theoretically be successful in drag relying on Instagram, maybe the occasional Vine where you have to display some kind of energy for, what, 10 seconds?  

Maybe you lose the bar scene, but in my experience the gay bar scene is dying anyway.  And, you'd reach all those kids who aren't old enough for the bars, or who live where they can't get to one.  So maybe...there's some logic in shifting focus away from what I'd guess you'd call traditional drag.  Get a website, throw on a Donate button, let the crazy internet do it's thing.  

It's kind of interesting, I think.  Or maybe I'm looking for depth where there is none, because while I'm not hating this season as much as some here seem to be, it does feel like a weaker season- wigs moving, falling off? really?- so it's nice to imagine some other element at play.

I agree that this might be where we're going, and that makes me extremely sad.

• Love 2
(edited)

To someone who views drag as a performing art, even working the floor in an old school ballroom is performing, the thought of a future where drag queens did nothing more than dress up and pose for a photo is extremely depressing. That the real breakout star of this season (Katya) seems to thrive on live performance gives me hope that day is not imminent. Yes, she has a strong internet presence - but even then she's performing and not just making a face or displaying a gag-worthy look. I would also bet a paycheck that she'll be prominent in the public eye far longer than Pearl or Violet.

Of course this is coming from someone who thinks the Kardashian clan is a boil on the buttocks of humanity that should be imprisoned with no communication devices on a remote and desolate Island somewhere between Patagonia and the Antarctic for eternity (at least the Gabors had style and wit).

Edited by SteveAC10
  • Love 2

This would have been the season where they should have had a final four.  Kennedy, Ginger Pearl and Violet are all so different that there wasn't really a reason to eliminate any one of them.  They're all great in their own way.  I think Kennedy's lack of self confindence and belief in herself is what finally did her in.  The rest of the final four queens are totally in love with themselves and Ru seems to like that in a person.

I hope Pearl wins.  I love everything about Pearl including her lipsynch style, the Pearl Smash.  It's funny and entertaining.  I'm not one that needs to see a queen swiffer the floor with her taint to quote Willam or rip her wig off or mime lyrics.  Pearl works the lipsynch with her whole body and face and it rocks.  Even when she's not lipsynching her face and body are so expressive and interesting, I love watching her.  She's easy to understand once you get the hang of reading her because there's no bullshit about her.  I had friends like her in high school.  You'd think they were laid back but if you insulted them or slighted them they'd cut you dead and take forever to get over it.  That sounds like a bad thing but it ensures that people don't use you as a doormat.  In the final judges panel, Ru stated that Pearl has star quality and I totally agree.  Pearl for the win.

• Love 1
(edited)

Pearl sucks and has absolutely no charm. She would be the worst winner by far, right below Tyra  (who at least could rock the runway sometimes)

Pearl has not wowed at all in anything and has no business even being in the top 5 much less in the finale. Her lipscync style is not funny at all to me, she just looks stupid, like Haylie Duff's character in her "performance" before the election in Napoleon Dynamite with those stupid arm movements.

Edited by blaase
  • Love 7

Yeah, I knew this season was going to be really, really bad when some people (elsewhere) were trying to tell me that Pearl had done something magical during her lip sync of Dreaming early in the season. She literally stood there windmilling her arms like I do before I do my bench presses.

• Love 5
(edited)

what if they're not wrong about the relative value of actual talent when it comes to being a working drag queen?

A working drag queen? Oh hell no. A working drag queen is, despite what this show often pretends when it's being more of a transvestite beauty contest than a drag competition, 90% comedy(rolling hosting, funny lip syncs and other duties where you need to be quickwitted and humorous into it) and 9.9% performance art, the 'fashion queens' are all trying to squeeze into that fairly unprofitable .01% left behind. Drag Race has done a lot to make drag more profitable and accessable than before.. but real world drag now is still pretty much the same thing it was before Drag Race. Put simple, if you can't host, do comedy or really rock a performance you'll spend your entire career as the warm up act for people who can(It's too bad the show never really highlights hosting skills, since from what the queens I know say, hosting is where the money is at).

Of course some of these people are questionable as 'working drag queens' go, Pearl is pretty much just club kid and Fame is a Youtube celebrity for makeup tutorials.

Edited by snakenax
  • Love 5
Yeah, I knew this season was going to be really, really bad when some people (elsewhere) were trying to tell me that Pearl had done something magical during her lip sync of Dreaming early in the season.
She did! It was all about the intensity of her face and eyes. Maybe it was just luck for her, but I don't think so because many people--including the judges--responded to it, and it wasn't present in her other lip syncs this season. But I did think Pearl did a good job in the 4-way lip sync, and I've liked what I've seen of her on YouTube. Pearl has a limited movement ability and a quirky style, but she seems to have a good handle on what songs work for her.

I also don't think Violet should be grouped in with Pearl as a look queen only. Violet's not great at delivering scripted lines. That's the main way she had problems. Violet's graceful and comfortable lip syncing. She's also cross-training as an aerialist.

Pearl and Violet also did better in the more improv comedy challenges (DESPY and Snatch Game) than the scripted ones. I think it was a huge flaw this season that there were so many scripted challenges (that IMHO were poorly written).

The one I don't get is Trixie Mattel. I can't think of anything special she did in the competition. I don't know why there was such an uproar when she left the first time, and I think it was totally appropriate for her to go when she did the second time. There must be SOMETHING because I've seen so much praise for her from other queens, but I have no idea what it is.

• Love 2
Pearl has a limited movement ability and a quirky style, but she seems to have a good handle on what songs work for her.

IA with your entire post Zuleikha.  As far as Pearl goes I'm not sure if she has limited movement ability or if she is making a choice consistent with her style.  She doesn't pad so it may not work for her to wiggle her hips around like Kennedy does or do the diva arm movements that Ginger does.  Pearl seems to be going for something different and less "womanly" for lack of a better term.  She's androngenous and her drag is trashy while at the same time going for over the top/tryin too hard elegance in her face.  At least that how she reads for me and I love it.  LOVE.  She's like a younger Sharon, maybe still not completely 100% what she will be one day but modern, fresh, vulneralbe, sexy and appealing as hell.  My opinion.

The one I don't get is Trixie Mattel

I'm not catching what Trixie's putting across and I don't particularly like bitter, entitled boy Trixie either.  But people have different perspectives.   Some of my friends, ( and by some I mean 2) that watch were outraged! that Trixie sashayed.  I hope WOW does an All Stars soon.  Seems like there's more than enough popular queens that have sashayed to do another good All Stars.

A working drag queen? Oh hell no. A working drag queen is, despite what this show often pretends when it's being more of a transvestite beauty contest than a drag competition, 90% comedy(rolling hosting, funny lip syncs and other duties where you need to be quickwitted and humorous into it) and 9.9% performance art, the 'fashion queens' are all trying to squeeze into that fairly unprofitable .01% left behind. Drag Race has done a lot to make drag more profitable and accessable than before.. but real world drag now is still pretty much the same thing it was before Drag Race. Put simple, if you can't host, do comedy or really rock a performance you'll spend your entire career as the warm up act for people who can(It's too bad the show never really highlights hosting skills, since from what the queens I know say, hosting is where the money is at).

Of course some of these people are questionable as 'working drag queens' go, Pearl is pretty much just club kid and Fame is a Youtube celebrity for makeup tutorials.

Yep, the only time the show has highlighted hosting skills has been in the introductions to the roast challenges, but hosting a revue seems like one of the benchmarks of success in the drag world. Chad and Raven have also arguably influenced drag in Southern California (and nationally) by hosting the two best-known drag shows around LA and San Diego. I suppose a reason RPDR doesn't highlight hosting skills is that it's trying to test the queens' skills as entertainers and artists beyond what's expected for a successful bar queen, with the professed purpose of selecting the next "drag superstar" who can cross over into the mainstream.

That said, there seems to be almost as little room for the "fashion" drag queen in the wider performing arts and media, venturing even slightly beyond the confines of RuPaul's Drag Race fandom and World of Wonder's control, as for the "fashion" drag queen in the narrower drag world. The contestants who've gone far post show prove this, IMO. It's been the queens who are comedians or singers (Willam, Sharon, Jinkx, Shangela, Alaska, Bianca, Pandora, Adore, Courtney) - and a few with entertaining personalities who are fierce dancers/lip-syncers (Latrice, Alyssa) - who've made a mark outside the sphere of RPDR fandom. Jinkx is all three and she's been the most successful queen to come off the show, in terms of penetration outside queerdom. Even Manila and Raja, who are beloved by the fanbase, haven't successfully made a reputation outside of queerdom (although Raja arguably already had one from his appearances on America's Next Top Model.) I love Manila - she's fierce (and a fierce lip-syncer), witty, and has absolutely fantastic design skills/stylistic sensibility - but she doesn't have a sellable talent as a performer outside RPDR and the drag circuit.

The one queen to truly have success in "fashion" - as a model and a muse - is Carmen Carrera, and she transitioned from living as a (beautiful) male drag performer to living openly as a beautiful woman, with a nose-job and enhanced breasts. Monica Beverly Hillz, another transwoman, has aso had some modeling success. I'm not counting Willam, Alaska, and Courtney's recent stint as American Apparel spokesmodels. Miss Fame and Bebe Zahara Benet (and maybe a few others I'm forgetting) were male models, but a dual-gender modeling career seems like a dubious proposition (tell me if I'm wrong.) The best way to profit from being a "fashion" (re: styling or design) queen, IMO, would be to use your appearance as a stunning vision of femininity to promote your skills as a designer or hair or makeup artist, or to sell a makeup line. Raja's success on RPDR probably furthered his already successful career as a makeup artist, but she never fully took advantage of the commercial opportunities it might have offered. I think Miss Fame (or maybe Pearl, more evolved) should try and use their drag to market their skills (or products), following on Raja's missed opportunity.

• Love 2
(edited)

That said, there seems to be almost as little room for the "fashion" drag queen in the wider performing arts and media, venturing even slightly beyond the confines of RuPaul's Drag Race fandom and World of Wonder's control, as for the "fashion" drag queen in the narrower drag world.

This is where the ardent fans of the fashion queens lose me (aside from complaining not every challenge is a fashion challenge). They say: Queen X is so talented. You ask them: What is it they're going to do on the BOTS tour next fall? crickets........ followed by but.....but....... but..... FASHION!

The thing is the Pearl Slam  has already been overdone, and once live will be enough for all but her most ardent fans. Violet has passable aerialist skills, but most venues likely won't have the equipment or liability insurance to make that happen. And again, she's not one of the Wallendas. Once would be enough. I'm not even going to address Fame, because, well..........

Unfortunately for Producer's Entertainment, they guessed wrong on the breakout star from this season. People will want Katya on the tour, and they don't have her.

Edited by SteveAC10
  • Love 2
(edited)
some people (elsewhere) were trying to tell me that Pearl had done something magical during her lip sync of Dreaming early in the season. She literally stood there windmilling her arms like I do before I do my bench presses.

Ha, this made me laugh. Then I pictured Pearl in full drag at the gym windmilling her arms and then leaving without doing any bench presses.

She should embrace this silly joke and do a Hulk costume complete with green body paint. Unfortunately she is one of the queens this season who could never laugh at herself or see the humor in someone else reading her so I doubt we'll see Pearl as Hulk any time soon.

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • Love 2

Yeah, I knew this season was going to be really, really bad when some people (elsewhere) were trying to tell me that Pearl had done something magical during her lip sync of Dreaming early in the season. She literally stood there windmilling her arms like I do before I do my bench presses.

To be fair, we hadn't seen Pearl's lip sync technique previously, and it did fit very well with the punk vibe of Dreamin' ... but only from here in the future looking back, can we tell that it wasn't *inspired* it was just her only move.. PEARL SMASH... and that makes it lame.

• Love 4

I LOATHE how Pearl paints herself. And her clothes are tedious and her lipsincing is too generic.  She seems to be a good character actor though. I personally think she made it so far because she is the most gorgeous boy in Drag Race history.i cannot think of anyone who has been as striking in real life.

Ginger Christ Above, she sure works herself up for those talking heads.  I can't sew!  I can't put together a costume! I can't dance very well!  how about==I can't put on a wig!!  They are always asking us to put on gowns and walk down a runway  poor ME!

Violet isn't setting any personality records but sh'e cool enough.  Her opening day lavender outfit is one of my fav opening day outfits ever (Katya's also)

Yes I know Kennedy's drag was old skool, but I wonder if she was axed because she is her sister's caretaker and therefore could she make all the gigs and go on tour? I am wondering if Ginger was really talking about Kennedy when she was saying winning meant more than putting on a crown and taking the check?

What, no love for Ru's old southern Pappy schtick?  I thought it was Eddie Murphy (no not because of the tranvestite story either)

I LOATHE how Pearl paints herself. And her clothes are tedious and her lipsincing is too generic. She seems to be a good character actor though. I personally think she made it so far because she is the most gorgeous boy in Drag Race history. I cannot think of anyone who has been as striking in real life.

IMO, Ivy Winters is at least as attractive as Pearl in boy clothes—and equally boring a queen.

• Love 2

I think I am the only person in the world who doesn't find boy Pearl hot or striking or even attractive. I think he's decent looking in a plain way, but I truly don't get how many people flood their basements over him. I suppose I just have strange tastes...

• Love 4

I think I am the only person in the world who doesn't find boy Pearl hot or striking or even attractive. I think he's decent looking in a plain way, but I truly don't get how many people flood their basements over him. I suppose I just have strange tastes...

He does nothing for me, but I seem to have some kind of wiring that prevents me from finding people physically attractive if their personality isn't doing it for me. So all I can do is sort of look in on the Pearl infatuation tent from the outside and scratch my head. 

• Love 2

You win the internets today.

I think Pearl is hot for a Drag Race contestant, but only mildly above average for the general public and waaaay below your average model/actor/singer(let alone a specifically hunky one). And i'm not really sure i'd call him the hottest Drag Race contestant, though probably in the top five(Milk, PhiPhi, Willam and Ivy being good contenders to beat him, especially since all of them have better bodies).

• Love 1

If I had to choose the most beautiful (out of drag) contestant ever, I'd go with Raja, with Raven, Willam, Shangela, and Manila rounding out my top five.  Out of those five, only Raven could get it (though I am aware that he wouldn't want it).

You know who else I found hot out of drag?  Nina Flowers.  Yes, ma'am.

• Love 2

If I had to choose the most beautiful (out of drag) contestant ever, I'd go with Raja, with Raven, Willam, Shangela, and Manila rounding out my top five.  Out of those five, only Raven could get it (though I am aware that he wouldn't want it).

You know who else I found hot out of drag?  Nina Flowers.  Yes, ma'am.

My opinions on this matter are similar. In addition to the queens you mentioned (minus Shangela, although DJ is cute), I'd say Yara, Milk, Sahara, Dida, PhI Phi (minus the unfortunate personality), and April made very good-looking boys. Adore, Bianca, and Katya are all more "cute", with eccentrically attractive features (although I'd go with any three of them.) It's a truism that conventionally good-looking boys don't make attractive queens, but it falls apart in cases where the boys have more boyish than manly features (April, Manila, Phi Phi, Willam, etc.) It also falls apart in cases with conventionally attractive men with strongly defined cheekbones, and//or larger eyes, and/or smaller chins (Katya, Raven, Sahara, Nina), who can make strikingly beautiful but not especially fishy queens.

Raven/David claimed to have only had lip enhancements at the time of Season 2 (in 2010), but I think he's had injections around his cheeks and eyes since then, in addition to a permanent fake tan and very manicured eyebrows. He's as much a drag king as a drag queen, in that his cosmetic enhancements work as much towards appearing better as a man and a woman (Detox should take notes). On Season 2, he said he wanted rhinoplasty, but he seems to have settled on rocking the stately Jewish nose (too few of us Jewish boys/girls wear it proudly.)

I might be the only one gauche enough to say this, but I think Miss Fame is a very good-looking man who does not make a good-looking drag queen. Unless you get her in the absolute right lighting and at the absolute right angle, her face still reads man. Her brow ridge and chin are just too big, and her eyes are too close together. Thin lips, too. There aren't any feminine features like big eyes to offset the strong bone structure, like with Raven, to make her a "striking" but not masculine queen.

I think Pearl is a cute, boyish-looking twink with puppy dog eyes. He's definitely not as good-looking as the average actor/model, as snakenax said, which shows up in pictures of him out of drag, but he's still mighty cute. All that said..he probably won't look as good in 5 or 10 years. Who knows, maybe it's just the bitterness in me speaking? I'm only a couple of years older, and I could never be the lithe, hairless, dreamy twink ideal he exemplifies.

• Love 1

I think Pearl is a cute, boyish-looking twink with puppy dog eyes. He's definitely not as good-looking as the average actor/model, as snakenax said, which shows up in pictures of him out of drag, but he's still mighty cute. All that said..he probably won't look as good in 5 or 10 years. Who knows, maybe it's just the bitterness in me speaking? I'm only a couple of years older, and I could never be the lithe, hairless, dreamy twink ideal he exemplifies.

I find boy Pearl to be telegenic, but not very photogenic. I've been kind of surprised how much more average he looks in still photos. He is also strangely mannish, almost butch in drag - which he is definitely not in boy clothes.

Frankly, I think the queens that are the most feminine this season did not come from the ranks of the glamour girls, who are all more striking than pretty. Ginger, Sasha and Kandy have the most conventionally pretty faces once the paint goes on. This was a very unfishy season anyway. Only Kandy even came close.

Watching this in 2023, I tend not to get too exercised over decisions made 8 years ago, but this was a shocking result! Kennedy did much better than Pearl in the video and LSFYL. In hindsight, do people really think that Kennedy's malapropism rubbed Ru the wrong way, or was it pandering to Pearl's online following?