Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E06: Condemned

This train is a bullet and it's not letting up!

While this episode felt like it would never end, I was not happy when it ended. Well, except for knowing that there was another episode coming. Still, this episode was gripping even with some rote bits.

The walkie sequence between Matt and Wilson was good, even though I was yelling at Matt in my head. Practical Super-heroing  Tip: Don't let the Villain yak your ear off, but if you do? Don't stand still in one spot!

Is it wrong to think Vladamir is hot? Anatoly was too. I am a bit conflicted.

Karen, Senor Foggy, Claire and Shirley were present and accounted for and Mrs. Cardenas gets a first name: Elena.

My only real dislike is still the darkness of the photography. I get it-- it's night mostly, Matt is smartly in very blendy black, and it helps cover the stunts where needed. Yet? I don't think it's too much to ask to not have to squint to make out the action in a fight scene. Like I said, it's my only big gripe about the episodes so far.

Excited to get to the rest!!

• Love 6

I think they just wanted to allude to Fisk being "The Kingpin" and went with playing cards because that's how some (a lot?) of investigations like to illustrate power hierarchies. I'm only aware of the CIA/Homeland or was it Interpol doing so with Al Queda.

Why the King of Diamonds being the TOP TOP...I have no idea. I would have assumed it would be King of Spades, but then Aces are always higher than kings in just about every card game. I don't really know how that all works. I guess King of Diamonds because he's rich? His dad's cufflinks have diamonds? I don't know.

Here is the cards Ben used and what I could make out on them:

King of Diamonds--?

Jack of  Clubs--Vladimir

Jack of Spades-- Anatoly

Jack of Hearts--The Chinese

Jack of Diamonds-- Yakuza

10 of hearts--Heroin

9 of Hearts--Russian Connection?

7 of Spades-- Kidnapping

6 of Clubs-- [didn't get a good look]

5 of Clubs--Veles Taxi

4 of Spades--Extortion

3 of Diamonds--Union Allied (Karen's former employers)

3 of Clubs--Kitchen (there looks like there is another word written; could be 'Fire')

There is also a card with 'Farnum' written on it, but I couldn't make out which red card it was. I missed which card was "The Masked Man", but I loved that Ben drew in his mask!

• Love 2

Great episode.  Having Matt and Vladimir trapped together generated a lot of electricity.  Vladimir might be an evil bastard but he was pretty awesome in this one.  The first interaction between Matt and Fisk did not disappoint.

• Love 5

Hey, I kind of my wish already.  Fisk's mass explosion led to Foggy and Karen going to the hospital, and briefly meeting Claire on duty! Yay!  I hope we get to see more of Claire with that duo in the future.

Also get our first Matt/Fisk interaction, but not quite a face-to-face.  Still, I found their exchange over the walkies to be gripping, and both Charlie and Vincent nailed it.  I really love how they are building up this feud, and I have to think when the time finally comes to them meeting in person, it will be epic.

Have to think Vladimir is done for, but he at least finally gave Matt some info.  He now knows what Fisk is in league with the Chinese mobsters, and that Leland Owsley is their money man.  I'm guessing that Matt is going have to get through them to finally get to Fisk.

Curse this episode for briefly making me think Ben was in trouble, only for it to be the corrupt detective that go the bullet.  But Ben is continuing to dig into this, so I'm sure the danger is only going to get worse.

So, it looks like Fisk is basically going to make everyone think Matt was responsible for all the explosions and cop shooting.  Ouch. Kind of have to agree with old Vlad on some levels, when it comes to Matt.  Right now, Fisk is just on a different playing field, and Matt will need to catch up.  But I wonder if everyone will believe Fisk's trick.  Claire seems to still be on Matt's side, but it sounds like Foggy is buying into it.  I guess that leaves Karen as a question mark for now, since saving her life in the pilot should earn him a lot of brownie points.

• Love 1

Is it wrong to think Vladamir is hot? Anatoly was too. I am a bit conflicted.

Oh, I am right there with you. In the real world, I would be horrified by them, but here? Daaamn. 

Another great episode! Foggy and Karen are too adorable together, and I love how much Foggy cares about Matt. 

Fisk, you magnificent bastard. This is like if the recent "frame the masked vigilante" story-line from Arrow actually made sense!

Sad that Vlad is gone. He actually had a bit more depth than your typical "evil Eastern European gangster" type. His final scene with Matt was actually kind of affecting, as was his grief for his brother. Even Matt seemed to be feeling a smidgen of sympathy for the guy at the end. Still a villain, but one who has a few redeeming qualities here and there. Plus the guy is tough as hell. He died, then minutes later was pulling manholes up? Dang! Mother Russia does make them strong. 

Ben, you best be careful! 

• Love 6

I've seen this episode twice now (my buddy fell asleep the first time so we rewatched it) and I think (so far) that it's my favorite behind Cut Man. Matt's scenes in the condemned building felt like a one act play, and the conversation between him and Fisk was amazing. So far it hasn't been expressed much if Murdock believes that he is impacting a change on this neighborhood, and Fisk letting him know that he'll simply die as a criminal and no one will believe in what he's done was so sad. It's funny, I think Charlie Cox is doing very well expressing Matt's frustration and pain with only the lower half of his face and I dig the current mask a lot. Usually, masked men have eye holes and the lower half of the face uncovered, so you can kind of piece together who the hero might be; but with Murdock, the lips and chin could be literally anyone. The stakes are raised so much higher in this episode and I'm excited to see what comes next (I'm watching with my husband and my friend, so I have to wait for everyone to be in the same place before we can keep going).

• Love 3

So they weren't allowed to swear in English, but they've made up for it by swearing in Russian. That was a very non-PG word that Vladimir called Matt!

Overall it's kinda fun to see the show constantly switch to Russian and Spanish - coincidentally, the languages I'm familiar with (although my Spanish is elementary level at best).

PS Also, NY cops on this show are even more dirty than on Person of Interest, and that's saying something.

Edited by FurryFury
  • Love 2

Oh, OK. Why did he need 

Wesley's translation then?

Maybe since Fisk's head is so busy plotting, Wesley handles the mundane tasks so Fisk doesn't have to translate?  :-P

Or, it's just a huge plot hole.  :-)

Maybe since Fisk's head is so busy plotting, Wesley handles the mundane tasks so Fisk doesn't have to translate?  :-P

Or, it's just a huge plot hole.  :-)

Errr it's

not a huge plot hole.  You will find out why in a later episode.

And can I say, Fisk's mandarin is terrible lol? In their scenes together I didn't need subtitles for Gao, but I had to read them when Fisk spoke just to make sure he said what I thought he was saying. He tries, though. His accent I think is the problem. It's very very thick. 

Edited by JustaPerson
  • Love 1

And can I say, Fisk's mandarin is terrible lol? In their scenes together I didn't need subtitles for Gao, but I had to read them when Fisk spoke just to make sure he said what I thought he was saying. He tries, though. His accent I think is the problem. It's very very thick.

To be fair, VDO probably learned his lines phoenetically.

I can understand it with Fisk who's played by a big name actor (and the character probably wasn't supposed to be a native speaker of Mandarin, too). But why the hell did one of the Russian brothers (Anatoly, I think - the one who died first) speak Russian with a very heavy accent while the other didn't? That was really distracting. Still, Daredevil is better than most shows when it comes to Russian. I still can't forget the episode of Arrow set in Moscow, that was embarrassingly bad.

Oh, I am right there with you. In the real world, I would be horrified by them, but here? Daaamn. 

Another great episode! Foggy and Karen are too adorable together, and I love how much Foggy cares about Matt. 

Fisk, you magnificent bastard. This is like if the recent "frame the masked vigilante" story-line from Arrow actually made sense!

Sad that Vlad is gone. He actually had a bit more depth than your typical "evil Eastern European gangster" type. His final scene with Matt was actually kind of affecting, as was his grief for his brother. Even Matt seemed to be feeling a smidgen of sympathy for the guy at the end. Still a villain, but one who has a few redeeming qualities here and there. Plus the guy is tough as hell. He died, then minutes later was pulling manholes up? Dang! Mother Russia does make them strong. 

Ben, you best be careful! 

See, I kind of disagree here.  From Vlad's perspective it would have been kinder to Matt to shoot him.  (See Healy, John: Ep. 3.)

And New York lost one of its few honest cops; the actor playing (Sullivan?) did a great job with the combined WTF/"I'm getting killed by a cop?!?" eye reactions as the (SWAT) team guy reported he was dead.  The real question is, was that a real (SWAT) team, or a fake group?

• Love 2

The real question is, was that a real (SWAT) team, or a fake group?

A fake SWAT team could have just killed Sullivan without radioing in that they found his body.

Plus, it would be very dangerous for a fake team to be sweeping the building for DD at the same time the real one was.

As a matter of operational security, why doesn't Fisk operate under an alias? At least keep the crime stuff from having any obvious link to his "legitimate business" side. (Even if, in this world, he also keeps his legitimate business stuff so low key he doesn't show up in web searches). He could still intimidate people into not saying the alias.

• Love 1

So this episode? Very slow. An interesting way of dealing with the aftermath of the bombing, just to have Matt and Vladimir holed up together, Karen and Foggy in the hospital and Urich bothering the obviously corrupt cops. There were strong Batman: Cataclysm overtones, with the chaos ramping up.

The conversation between Matt and Fisk was interesting. I like the way their similarities were highlighted, and the respect that Fisk seems to have for a guy who is putting it all out there to try and make the city a better place. Fisk is evil, but it's the sort of evil that dreams of being loved, that wants to be remembered as great. Fisk was actually right about Vladimir. He is scum and he does deserve to die. The idea of the bad guy wanting the human trafficking shitbag dead, while the hero is keeping him alive is just one of the many aspects of superhero/vigilante story that I enjoy. And Vladimir making a last stand just so that Matt has the chance to fuck Fisk over? The whole show is becoming one massive grey area.

Oh, and I hate these corrupt cops so much. Killing their own without second thought? The first thing Matt should do is expose every single one of those assholes.

Loved the little crossover of Matt's two worlds, with Claire passing through between Foggy and Karen. I'd like to see all four of them hanging out together before the end of the season. I wish there had been more of that, and it'll be interesting to see how it all unfolds between them. It's great how both women are just completely hung up on the Daredevil (or The Mask, as he seems to be right now). It's almost as if there's something alluring about a mysterious, strong, self-sacrificing stranger who risks himself to save your life, huh?

I find this show pretty intense, even when it's low on action. So I find myself taking a break for about thirty minutes or so between episodes, just to take it all in.

• Love 2

The whole show is becoming one massive grey area.

It really is.  I spent some time arguing with myself over Fisk and Matt's motives, and what really differentiates them other than the scale of their activities.  I think Fisk will sacrifice others but Matt will sacrifice himself.

Foggy is a good soul and a great friend.  It was great to have Claire cross paths with him and Karen.

Furthermore, Gotham used to have Internal Affairs cops like Montoya and Allen, who seemed motivated to do the right thing when they were still on the show.

I liked the comparisons, but Montoya and Allen are Major Crimes.  Going after Gordon would have made more sense if they had been IAB.