Type keyword(s) to search

Spoilers and Spoiler Speculation: Benchmarking

• Start Topic

(edited)

I never watched that series, but I really liked Caroline Dhavernas in Hannibal. I think maybe with red hair she could pull off being a Hunt. From the list that TvLine gave, I wouldn't mind Alyson Hannigan or Lauren Ambrose taking on the role. I guess it depends on the age - have they specified how old she was supposed to be? 

Either way, honestly, I'm sort of dreading this storyline. From the second that they mentioned that she was never found, it became painfully obvious that she would be popping back up. My biggest question is whether or not they'll have Riggs in a romantic pairing by then to have her show up and 'complicate' things. I actually really like Riggs, I just don't think this is an ideal plot line, but I'll wait to see how they play it out. It just seems very much like a daytime soap story to me. 

If they dyed her hair a bit, maybe???

I fear the same, how will they introduce Megan. Will it make sense at all? Megan is younger than Hunt. Maybe mid-thirties?

I think he will already be involved and then she pops up. 

Edited by NathanRiggsfan

If they dyed her hair a bit, maybe???

I fear the same, how will they introduce Megan. Will it make sense at all?

I think he will already be involved and then she pops up. 

I hope it happens before the finale, because if they think it's going to be some big twist for the final moments of the season then the writers are quite out of touch. I wouldn't mind if she appeared at the end of 12x23 and then some of 12x24 dealt with the fallout of her reappearance. I guess I haven't really thought of her showing up already attached, I just assumed she'd be used as a prop to complicate things for some couple like Addison in S1 (obviously Addison developed into a lot more than that.) Maybe she'll show up with a child? 

• Love 1

I never bet on a certainty. Of course he'll be involved and then Megan will pop up.  This is Shonda Rhimes.

Yes, it was her! I disliked her to be honest, with all the respect to her illness,I disliked that character. Her acting is very mediocre.You are on point with the other character as well, Lilly,but Caroline Dhavernas who played Lilly was much better than Lefevre, unfortunately, she bears no resemblance to be Owen´s sister.

The show was horrible indeed.The acting was mediocre as well.

I do wonder who will Shonda Rhimes bring to play Megan. Aubrey Dollar,as you say,might also fit.

You mean from that Lilly?

As i understood it, Henderson's original love interest was supposed to be Lily. They were setting that up from the first episode.  And then Lefevre came on the show and they switched the love interest role to her.

Whatever one thinks of Lefevre's acting, I thought she had more chemistry with him than Dhavernas.  The relationship Ben/Lily relationship seemed creepy in an "older man takes advantage of naive girl" kind of way to me.

I'd be on board for Audrey Dollar.

I can't remember: were Riggs and Megan married? If she was legally declared dead (I'm not up on the laws regarding how/when a missing person is officially considered dead), it seemingly would cause all sorts of problems if they suddenly showed up alive. Would the military have paid out a death benefit to her next of kin? How would it affect Riggs and Megan's marriage (if they were married)? I think about all this stuff, probably due in part to being a journalist for 30 years, but those kinds of unsettled questions can take me right out of the story. And it makes me wonder how much thought the writers put into the scripts.

But it hasn't been confirmed that Megan is returning, correct? But then again, the hints give all indications of a Chekhov's Missing-and-Presumed-Dead Sister anvil.

(edited)

I hope it happens before the finale, because if they think it's going to be some big twist for the final moments of the season then the writers are quite out of touch. I wouldn't mind if she appeared at the end of 12x23 and then some of 12x24 dealt with the fallout of her reappearance. I guess I haven't really thought of her showing up already attached, I just assumed she'd be used as a prop to complicate things for some couple like Addison in S1 (obviously Addison developed into a lot more than that.) Maybe she'll show up with a child? 

Honestly, there is a part of me that hopes that somehow Meredith agrees to go out on a date with him and then DeadWife reappears from the dead in the lobby to break up their conversation.  The internet exploding (and me watching with popcorn and redvines) would be phenomenal!!

But more seriously, I'd prefer dead sister/wife (mental note, consider zombie polygamy storyline pitch)  to actually be dead and the reveal is that her body is found and explore that storyline and how it affects Riggs/Owen for it to be real, no hope anymore, no pessimism, just cold stark reality.

Edited by pennben
  • Love 1

So we know Stephanie is going to do something horrible. Is she maybe going to sabotage Penny in some way to get the grant instead of her? Seeing how the show continues to be all Penny all the time, it wouldn't surprise me. 

So we know Stephanie is going to do something horrible. Is she maybe going to sabotage Penny in some way to get the grant instead of her? Seeing how the show continues to be all Penny all the time, it wouldn't surprise me.

Could be. I figured it would be something with Wilmer's character, but JH's choice of words do fit with some sort of professional sabotage.

I can't even begin to imagine how Thatcher Grey becomes relevant again, unless he changed careers and is now a lawyer.  It will be interesting to see if he appears in the show or if Jeff Perry was just visiting.  More interesting about that picture though is KMK in a suit.  This makes me think he is called to testify so now I am leaning to the court case either being a Japril custody case (maybe paralleling to Calzona), or its a patient/hospital thing.  I can't really think of why Owen would be involved in a Calzona custody case.  Sure, he is friends with Callie but I don't know if he would be necessary in a custody battle.  

It would be so weird if Penny just left like that. They've gone through so much trouble to prop her up, establish her characater, redeem herself for Derek's "murder", show her skills, has been given an insane amount of screen time, and in the end, she simply walks away? Uhm, OK. I mean, it's not that I would have a problem with that, but wouldn't that be the most pointless storyline ever? 

I keep thinking there must be more to it and that it's also related to Callie's departure from the show. As a cliffhanger, if nothing else. 

• Love 1

They're paralleling Callie and Arizona's S7 arc for some dumb reason. Arizona wins a grant she applied for years ago, Callie is bothered by it. Penny wins a grant she applied for 5 seconds ago, Callie is bothered by it, but will choose to go with Penny anyways for the hell of it.

Cue season finale time jump, Callie comes back and Arizona slams the door in her face. And cliffhanger.

Otherwise, copying the storyline is dumb as hell.

I can't even begin to imagine how Thatcher Grey becomes relevant again, unless he changed careers and is now a lawyer.  It will be interesting to see if he appears in the show or if Jeff Perry was just visiting.  

He's still Meredith's father, as much as she hates to admit it. Maybe he decides to come and meet his grandchildren. I think he's an interesting character, and I would enjoy seeing him again. We've never gotten to see how he handled Lexie's death, whether he turned back to the bottle to cope, if he's still together with the younger woman he met in AA. What would be really interesting is to see Molly, the other Thatcher daughter. It doesn't seem like she and Meredith ever connected beyond that one time when Addison operated on Molly's baby, and at the time, Molly didn't know Meredith was her sister. If the show is going to keep shoving the sister dynamic down our throats, they need to bring in the one sister who might actually make a compelling story, as she and Mer both knew and loved Lexie but never really got to know each other.

• Love 2

I honestly thought Thatcher was dead.

In that photo, the actor doesn't seem to be in character as far as appearance. So I'm leaning toward a random visit.

I'm surprised they didn't kill him off, honestly. He just sort of disappeared after he started working on Scandal. We saw Meredith starting to accept him as family by having him over for Christmas in S6 and then his final appearance was in S7 when he had a kidney stone. 

They're paralleling Callie and Arizona's S7 arc for some dumb reason. Arizona wins a grant she applied for years ago, Callie is bothered by it. Penny wins a grant she applied for 5 seconds ago, Callie is bothered by it, but will choose to go with Penny anyways for the hell of it.

Cue season finale time jump, Callie comes back and Arizona slams the door in her face. And cliffhanger.

Otherwise, copying the storyline is dumb as hell.

Why would Arizona slam the door in Callie's face?

For that matter why would Callie go to her place when she got back?

They're not together and show no signs of loving each other.

I was being sarcastic, because of the predictability of Penny winning the grant. I should've finished with "Lol."

Sorry, forget how things come across in print.

• Love 1

He's still Meredith's father, as much as she hates to admit it. Maybe he decides to come and meet his grandchildren. I think he's an interesting character, and I would enjoy seeing him again. We've never gotten to see how he handled Lexie's death, whether he turned back to the bottle to cope, if he's still together with the younger woman he met in AA. What would be really interesting is to see Molly, the other Thatcher daughter. It doesn't seem like she and Meredith ever connected beyond that one time when Addison operated on Molly's baby, and at the time, Molly didn't know Meredith was her sister. If the show is going to keep shoving the sister dynamic down our throats, they need to bring in the one sister who might actually make a compelling story, as she and Mer both knew and loved Lexie but never really got to know each other.

Well sure, of course Thatcher is still Meredith's (and Lexie's) father.  While the stuff you laid out sounds like it could be interesting, Meredith herself doesn't even spend on-screen time with her kids,  I highly doubt that Thatcher is suddenly going to show up wanting to meet his grandkids.  

Jeff Perry could just be visiting but court room drama is definitely on cards. 1221 says Calzona seek support from their friends so I think the whole hospital will show up at court like during Callie's law suit. Was just on Twitter and 1222 looks like something really big for Arizona emotional wise, so I'm guessing Callie wins the custody and Arizona is once again left with another loss to dealt with. I have been pretty done with Callie's character this entire season but if she challenges Arizona as a mother to Sofia, that would be my last straw.

My biggest question is whether or not they'll have Riggs in a romantic pairing by then to have her show up and 'complicate' things. I actually really like Riggs, I just don't think this is an ideal plot line, but I'll wait to see how they play it out. It just seems very much like a daytime soap story to me.

Two recycled stories. When Christina and Owen were involved, Teddy came onto the scene from the past to complicate things, and now we have to watch more triangle crap. 

As for the Callie story, Callie is so pathetic she probably WILL follow Penny, after dating for five minutes. What makes me sad is how Sophia and Arizona will suffer for it. Sophia is much too old to be dragged around on impulse. Callie pretended she didn't want Sophia to meet Penny just yet, and now Penny will be Mommy # 3, and the kid wont be a factor at all if she does choose to follow an attending for a grant..

I actually do enjoy Callie, I just think she is clueless and so so needy.

• Love 1
(edited)

I hope that Penny says something to Callie like, "of course I want you with me, but it's only a year and I'll be super busy with my whatever research idea that I won this grant for (which couldn't have been that well thought out, since I only had a couple hours to write my grant proposal, while working (I assume that the grant was given based on what they wanted to do research on, not as a personality contest)), so why don't you stay here instead of uprooting your daughter for such a short time."

But who am I kidding, Callie will probably decide to go with Penny, and Shonda will arrange an "accident" so none of them ever come back. (Yes, I'll be bitter if Callie leaves).

Edited by craziness
(edited)

Callie is among my favourite characters and the more I think about this potential storyline / exit the more I hate it. Taking Sofia away from Arizona to be with Penny would be absolutely cruel and ridiculous, especially after she just deemed Penny suitable to even meet Sofia. Not to mention, Callie has an entire life in Seattle. She is friends with Meredith, Owen, Bailey, etc. She's on the board of the hospital. To see her just uproot her life would just not make sense to me: I get that people don't stay put just because they have friends somewhere, but Sofia should come first, and Arizona is her mother. Callie could easily go visit Penny throughout her year away.... 

I'm just not loving where I think this is going, especially if it's really how they're having Callie / Sara exit. 

Edited by BaseOps
  • Love 3

Not to mention, Callie has an entire life in Seattle. She is friends with Meredith, Owen, Bailey, etc. She's on the board of the hospital. To see her just uproot her life would just not make sense to me. 

And would a surgeon who's head of a department really give that up to follow her resident girlfriend across the country for a year?  They spent so much of season 10 building up how the hospital is something they all made, that it's worth fighting for and they're all proud to work there, etc so to have Callie just impulsively decide to move away (and for someone she's been dating for a few months) makes no sense to me and would be such a lackluster exit for Callie.  Add to that the fact that she'd have to take Sofia away from Arizona to do that, it'd be hard for Callie to not come off looking like the bad guy.  I really hope all this speculation is completely wrong but I'm guessing they're going to utilize Sara Ramirez's contract status for everything they can.

What's the purpose of having Callie and Arizona have a storyline now, after the show has pretty much forgotten they were ever a couple?  If it doesn't lead to them somehow getting back together I'll be surprised, since they can't really be further apart than they currently are, and if this ends with them hating each other, what's the point?  

• Love 4
(edited)

And would a surgeon who's head of a department really give that up to follow her resident girlfriend across the country for a year?  They spent so much of season 10 building up how the hospital is something they all made, that it's worth fighting for and they're all proud to work there, etc so to have Callie just impulsively decide to move away (and for someone she's been dating for a few months) makes no sense to me and would be such a lackluster exit for Callie.  Add to that the fact that she'd have to take Sofia away from Arizona to do that, it'd be hard for Callie to not come off looking like the bad guy.  I really hope all this speculation is completely wrong but I'm guessing they're going to utilize Sara Ramirez's contract status for everything they can.

What's the purpose of having Callie and Arizona have a storyline now, after the show has pretty much forgotten they were ever a couple?  If it doesn't lead to them somehow getting back together I'll be surprised, since they can't really be further apart than they currently are, and if this ends with them hating each other, what's the point?  

This is why I think the storyline had to be designed specifically with Callie's departure in mind, otherwise I see no other purpose. But, like you said, I can't fathom any way that Callie would come out of that not looking horrible. We rarely see them parenting, but we're to believe Arizona has always been a loving mother. Sofia already lost one parent, I'd hate to see Callie take her away from another. And as an exit, it would leave a horrible horrible impression of Callie with me, which I hate even more. 

I'm worried that the legal stuff is Callie deciding to follow Penny and taking Sofia with them and Arizona having no claim on her. I really don't want to see that.

Yea, this is what it sounds like. I'm so hoping we're wrong, but based on the brief episode descriptions we've gotten, it really looks to be headed this way. I've been really wanting a storyline for Callie... but not like this. 

Edited by BaseOps

I can't help but remember, that when the hospital went bankrupt and Arizona and Callie had some 50 million dollars to move out, something that Arizona suggested but Callie was so adamant on not leaving and using Arizona & Sofia's money to save the hospital from going bankrupt...she even had a long speech is how the hospital is so important and yada yada. So now leaving all that, plus being so cruel to take Sofia away from Arizona...just to follow a resident?? I don't know what anyone else thinks but this is character assassination in all it's glory. Poor Sara. She deserves better.

• Love 2

I'd like to think that if this was Sara Ramirez's last season, they would have given her more to do throughout the season, aside from being Penny's arm candy. And while it does look like the next five or so episodes will be Callie and Arizona heavy, if Sara were to leave it would almost seem like a lazy last ditch effort to write Callie out. Nothing thought out or honorable, like she and any good longstanding character deserves. 

I agree with what every above is saying about how Callie leaving with Penny would be a horrible exit for Callie as well as make Callie look horrible. Wasn't she the one who came up with the idea to buy the hospital and fight because Richard hand picked them all to work there, and when Arizona suggested they move she said she didn't want to leave? You mean to tell me that this relationship, that's not even that good from a viewers perspective, with a resident is worth Callie giving up her job and disrupting her daughter's life by taking her away from her other mom, her father's resting place, and the friends who have become their family? For Penny? That would be character suicide. 

To support Arizona, probably. They're roommates, after all. 

A bit surprising that April isn't there. 

Why is Bailey there, though? I don't think she'd be picking sides in that matter. Is Chandra Wilson maybe directing the episode?

Edited by Joana

The actress who posted the photos (Vanessa Bell Calloway) is listed as a guest star for both 12x19 and 12x22 so it's probably either related to Ben's storyline (that would explain Bailey but Ben isn't in the photos) or Arizona's "decision that could affect Callie."  I'm hoping Ben's just because I really don't want to see a Callie/Arizona custody battle.  No one wins if it gets that far.  Maybe the court case is something broader (i.e. around the hospital or surgical program as a whole)?

Edited by Kate213

I don't know how they can write Meredith (who had Zola taken away from her once), Owen and April (who know child loss), Bailey and Alex (who are both their friends) picking a side between Callie and Arizona. This sl is just unrealistic.

Is Chandra Wilson maybe directing the episode?

The person who posted the pictures said Kevin McKidd is directing.

Maybe the court case is something broader (i.e. around the hospital or surgical program as a whole)?

Hmmm.  If Ben was there I would think it could be a malpractice suit of some kind given the way Ben has been doing surgeries that get him into trouble (in the promo is one, a past episode was another). But, with just those in the picture plus the episodes descriptions it seems like Calzona.

Edited by windsprints

Seems like in a way they're paralleling that weird Callie centric retcon episode, but we would get to hear Arizona's side of things.

Like, they'll finally remember she had a miscarriage and such.

*optimistic Arizona fan*

It's so interesting to me that with so much shit hitting the fan PR wise for so many other shows with LGBT representation that ABC is getting to dangle C/A out there for May sweeps.

I know that it's all planned and written ahead of time, but it's really convenient.

Edited by CED9
  • Love 1

interesting that Callie, Arizona, Penny, Owen, Bailey, Webber and DeLuca are all there.  It's an odd group of people for sure, should be interesting!  I originally thought it could be relating to Ben's patient that he is in trouble for, but Ben doesn't seem to be there?

I am beginning to think that Callie is staying and they are using the Penny leaving and court case to bring Callie and Arizona close together, probably as a cliffhanger for the season finale.  

I'm sure they already know who is staying and who is leaving (but we don't for spoiler reasons) and I can't imagine anyone on the writers staff thought this would be a good exit for a long time and beloved character.  

I do not understand why the show does not stick to medical stories,instead it provides law stories.

Shonda has HTGWM for law stories, doesn´t she? Is that not enough?

Also,I am so exhausted of the Riggs/Hunt drama. I wish it had never begun. What  a waste of Henderson as an actor, for 10 episodes he has been playing the same plot - they invited Henderson to be a prop for Owen so that he has something to do other than eating up Amelia´s face or rolling in the trailer bed with her. What a waste indeed.

Edited by NathanRiggsfan

I do not understand why the show does not stick to medical stories,instead it provides law stories.

Shonda has HTGWM for law stories, doesn´t she? Is that not enough?

Well... "Law" stories.  But if that's an example of Shonda's understanding about law, good god, please limit it HTGWM.  That show's got about as much in common with law and law school as Herbie the Love Bug has with auto racing.  Oh, and I still cannot wash away the memory of the plaintiff's counsel in the case against Callie (last season?  the one before?) saying "the prosecution rests." Ugh.... 

• Love 3
I am beginning to think that Callie is staying and they are using the Penny leaving and court case to bring Callie and Arizona close together, probably as a cliffhanger for the season finale.

I'm with you. I don't think Sara is leaving. Calzona has been apart for so long so I can see them using a big, dramatic story to start bringing them back together.

I don't think Owen is in court but could be wrong. Kevin is there because he's directing the episode.

Edited by windsprints

I don't think Owen is in court but could be wrong. Kevin is there because he's directing the episode.

some of the pictures, including Kevin's pic with Jeff Perry, are of KMK in a suit/tie.  Usually when they direct they wear comfy clothes (usually sweats) so I think KMK is in the scene as well as directing.  

• Love 1

some of the pictures, including Kevin's pic with Jeff Perry, are of KMK in a suit/tie.  Usually when they direct they wear comfy clothes (usually sweats) so I think KMK is in the scene as well as directing.  

Makes sense. I was going by what the person wrote on insta.

• Love 1

It will seem strange to me if this leads Callie and Arizona to reconcile.  For the past season (if not two), they have seemed perfectly fine without one another.  Dreadful though it is, Callie seems to be very happy in her relationship with Penny so I'm not sure what is going to change, especially if there is some kind of custody battle.  I'm more inclined to think that SaRa is leaving. If they do reconcile, though, I hope that they there is no huge, dramatic reconciliation this season because I don't think that it will be earned.  

Has there been any information about the last two episodes released yet?  I was bored and going through some of the old threads and we have been pretty accurate in our predictions:  Penny came on and basically became the new Maggie; Meredith's attack had no long-term repurcussions for any of the other characters, nor did it really change any of Meredith's relationships much; the Jo/Meredith conflict was retconned and ended in a half-assed manner; Alex exists only to be a sounding board and all of the Alex/Jo stuff was only mentioned in passing; April found out she was pregnant as soon as the divorce papers were filed/finalized and she then got more and more delusional/unlikeable as the pregnancy went on.  Now we just need to see Owen's sister pop in the finale and have Jo put on her engagement ring, thus ending their "storyline" and we can all become licensed psychics or the new Ausiello for badly written, predictable soaps!

• Love 2

It will seem strange to me if this leads Callie and Arizona to reconcile.  For the past season (if not two), they have seemed perfectly fine without one another.  Dreadful though it is, Callie seems to be very happy in her relationship with Penny so I'm not sure what is going to change, especially if there is some kind of custody battle.  

I agree, I just don't see how it could work out. I could see them bond over Sofia's illness or a similar problem, but that doesn't seem to be what's going to happen. 

Maybe if the circumstances were different and they had kept in closer touch, but as it is, Callie's been over Arizona for a very long time, is in a happy and committed relationship with another person, so I have no idea how getting sued for custody by Arizona (assuming that is how it's going to play out) would make her realize she's still deeply in love with her. It would be beyond weird.

Obviously leaving everything behind and going away with Penny would not be the ending Callie deserves. But honestly, keeping her only to give her a line per episode about missing/looking forward to sex like she's been written for en entire season is an even greater disservice for the character.

What I see as possible is a parellel to the Africa storyline in them getting ready to leave together and then Penny cuts it off because she doesn't want to separate Sofia from her mother or whatever. 

Edited by Joana

Shonda specifically pointing out on twitter that Callie said "Thank you" to Penny's "I love you" raised eyebrows for people. Because she only usually tweets during Scandal. LOL

C/A's breakup was largely based out of assumptions as opposed to actual truths, so I think court could be what brings out the truths about their relationship and breakup. Do I think that will make them less afraid to try again? Nope. 

Depends on their roles in the final 2 episodes, and if there'll be another time jump, and on and on. 

I've seen speculation that there's a time jump, Callie goes away with Penny, but comes back to Arizona having a baby of her own. Totally baseless fanfic-y speculation, but C/A fans seem to just be thrilled to be able to speculate about anything.

• Love 1

Shonda specifically pointing out on twitter that Callie said "Thank you" to Penny's "I love you" raised eyebrows for people. Because she only usually tweets during Scandal. LOL

C/A's breakup was largely based out of assumptions as opposed to actual truths, so I think court could be what brings out the truths about their relationship and breakup. Do I think that will make them less afraid to try again? Nope.

Depends on their roles in the final 2 episodes, and if there'll be another time jump, and on and on.

I've seen speculation that there's a time jump, Callie goes away with Penny, but comes back to Arizona having a baby of her own. Totally baseless fanfic-y speculation, but C/A fans seem to just be thrilled to be able to speculate about anything.

Please no time jump. I can see them doing a shortish one though so April's baby is born in the finale. If so, I could see Callie leaving and coming back as a cliffhanger.

The fact is the first decision is Arizona's and Vanessa Bell Calloway seems to be in 12x19 so whatever happens seems to get started by Arizona.

Both Callie and Arizona have lost a lot.  Neither should have to lose their daughter, but I'm not going to single out that Callie is horrible for taking Sofia and Arizona is horrible for wanting to keep Sofia.

It's the grant time frame that's throwing me off.  If it were longer and Callie/Penny decided to move together, of course a hard decision would have to be made.  Both Callie and Arizona would want their daughter with them.  But, for only a year, there doesn't need to be a hard decision (other than for the Drama! and Thrills! of course).

The goal should be to disrupt Sofia's (and all of their's) life the least and that would be for her to stay in Seattle.  Frankly, Callie should stay too, since what, she's going to give up her Chief of Orthopedics title, move across the country and find a temporary surgeon job?  No hospital would realistically give her a comparable Chief title with such a short time commitment so it would effectively be a career downgrade for her.  Regular visits to see Penny is much more reasonable (and less traumatic for all than a court case).  Unless this is Sara Ramirez's uninspired exit and the move is permanent.

I feel like we're missing something important (likely), or are completely off the mark somehow.  TPTB normally keep a pretty tight lid on spoilery photos.  The speculation so far this season, however, has been pretty spot on so it's probably just them upping the angst anyway they can.  At least it should get clearer what's coming after Thursday.

Edited by Kate213