Type keyword(s) to search

S10.E17: The Lost In The Found/S10.E18: The Verdict In The Victims

The Lost in The Found synopsis:

When the remains of a private high school student are discovered in a ditch, Brennan and Booth surmise that bullying was a factor. When Brennan discovers similarities between her own teen years and the victim’s, it leads the team to question whether or not the girl’s death was, in fact, a murder.

The Verdict in The Victims synopsis:

With only 48 hours before the execution of serial killer Alex Rockwell, whom Brennan and Booth helped convict, the Jeffersonian team must race against the clock to confirm Brennan’s new suspicion that Rockwell may not have been responsible for those crimes.

As you can see, there are two episodes this week, a 2-hour block.

I'm getting very anxious that something is going to happen to Hodgins because they are dropping anvils all over the place.

As I said to my hubby I could lose Angela, but not Hodgins. And then he said we can't lose anyone, except for that one intern who is an asshole.

I noticed every time Bones was wearing the necklace Booth bought with his ill-gotten gains. While I hate the storyline, at least they are consistent. However, in the first episode, did John Francis Daley write it or something? Because they mentioned Sweets more in that episode than when he was actually alive.

In the Boston area, they only showed the first episode late because of stupid deflate-gate. I will say, the bullying/suicide episode was extremely dreary. I think it is past time to retire this show.

I also thought it extremely weird Bones thinking she was 3 months less pregnant than she was.

• Love 1

In the Boston area, they only showed the first episode late because of stupid deflate-gate. I will say, the bullying/suicide episode was extremely dreary. I think it is past time to retire this show.

I also thought it extremely weird Bones thinking she was 3 months less pregnant than she was.

Nah it's not that weird. Some people don't know that they're pregnant right away.

One thing that bugs me is next week's preview tbh. I'm on pins and needles. I REALLY hope they don't do it. I won't bother to watch the show anymore if they did. It wouldn't be worth my time -_-.

"Eggless tofu omelet".  Can you still call it an omelet if there are no eggs in it? 

Good point!

In a way it reminded me of "non-fat tofutti rice dreamsicles" XD.

Probably. It's just vegan/vegetarian.

I'm getting very anxious that something is going to happen to Hodgins because they are dropping anvils all over the place.

As I said to my hubby I could lose Angela, but not Hodgins. And then he said we can't lose anyone, except for that one intern who is an asshole.

The way Angela and Hodgins were talking, it seemed to me as if TJ Thyne's and Micaela Conlin's contracts hadn't been renewed for next season.

I wish the show would bring back some of the previous interns.  I liked Fisher and Abernathy and Wendell.  Have never liked Daisy--too irritating.  Ditto for that intern who calls Hodgins "Curly".  The Cuban dude is really annoying, too.  Cam's love-interest I can take or leave, but am puzzled that they don't really mention what's going on with him in Iran except maybe every other episode or so.  You'd think that the show would want to keep the suspense up as far as what's happening to him.  Guess that's going to be resolved next episode.  The way the characters are talking, I really wonder if Brennan decides to leave the Jeffersonian and the show goes in an entirely different direction next season.

WTF is with Booth never shaving lately? Is he trying for the world's slowest beard? It's been three episodes now (at least) where the amount of scruff on an FBI agent is annoying. Don't they have regulations about that stuff?

• Love 2

The "I don't know how far along I am" thing is stupid.  Brennan is a second-go-round mother and a scientist. No way has she not been to the dr and figured this out. 

That said, I really liked the first ep.  The story was interesting for the first time in a long time.

I fell asleep during number two so I'm not sure if it was bad or I was tired. Will try again later.

The "how long was it since conception?" business drove me crazy. I know they tried to play it that Brennan was in denial for emotional reasons, but has she seriously not gone to a single doctor visit since becoming aware of her pregnancy? Don't they tell you how far along you are, whether you ask or not? I can't imagine her either completely ignoring prenatal care, or arguing with a doctor who tells her no, you are not only 3 months along. That was some serious hardcore delusional BS.

But really, of all the things this show does that are absurd, I don't suppose it's any worse than the rest of it.

Isn't Booth Catholic? I thought the Church was against the death penalty. I thought it was interesting that they chose him as one of the people who was for it. I also thought the episode would have been more effective if they had actually executed the innocent guy instead of saving him at the last second. It would have been sadder, but more real and more affecting. On the other hand, i do give the show credit for showing the terror of the guy lying in wait for the injection, and how generally brutal the whole situation is.

• Love 1

The "how long was it since conception?" business drove me crazy. I know they tried to play it that Brennan was in denial for emotional reasons, but has she seriously not gone to a single doctor visit since becoming aware of her pregnancy? Don't they tell you how far along you are, whether you ask or not? I can't imagine her either completely ignoring prenatal care, or arguing with a doctor who tells her no, you are not only 3 months along. That was some serious hardcore delusional BS.

But really, of all the things this show does that are absurd, I don't suppose it's any worse than the rest of it.

Isn't Booth Catholic? I thought the Church was against the death penalty. I thought it was interesting that they chose him as one of the people who was for it. I also thought the episode would have been more effective if they had actually executed the innocent guy instead of saving him at the last second. It would have been sadder, but more real and more affecting. On the other hand, i do give the show credit for showing the terror of the guy lying in wait for the injection, and how generally brutal the whole situation is.

Exactly. You'd figure she would have found out by now.

Same. But tbh, I HATE when any show gets political. Regardless of the view. It's a TV SHOW for gosh sake! I don't like POV being shoved down my throat.

• Love 2

I can get that she didn't notice she was pregnant to a certain extent, but the arguing about how far along she was was RIDICULOUS.  There literally are tests that measure hormones and fetus size. 

But what bothered me more was how everyone was carrying on about her size.  Seriously? Strangers would comment on how you appear vs what you claim is your due date? I was in my maternity clothes in my first month or two, but at the same time, I was 8-months pregnant and people were like "Are you...?" because of how I carried.  So there can be so much variation even in one person. Sure, she didn't look 3 months, but very few people are going to notice that and it's not that much of an anomaly.  Just so stupid and badly written.

It mostly felt like more fat-shaming territory like they went into with the body at the boot camp a few weeks ago. Har har, it's so funny that the larger women are struggling. Oh god no, don't let them strip!  Larger women are gross and their appearance is definitely something everyone should be discussing constantly is the only thing coming across these last few weeks.

• Love 4

I have no trouble believing people would be rude enough to comment, as the rudeness of many people never fails to amaze me. Angela is her best friend, so she'd be more liberal than most with the teasing. And the mother of the dead girl in the first episode was angry over having been accused of abusing her child, so she was looking to lash out.

But the show in general does seem to be on a bit of a tear with targeting fat women for ridicule. It's one of the still-socially-acceptable ways to be scornful and self-righteous and not be considered to be that way at all, unfortunately.

• Love 2

The Catholic Church is against the death penalty but it's not dogma, more of a teaching that Catholics are encouraged to follow but is not an article of faith.

My main problem with these two eps was that in both I guessed the guilty party even before Brennan did. In the first I saw the same ultimate 'twist' used in a British mystery series just a few months ago, and the clues they used, while not identical, were along the same lines. In the episode with the reopened case, I picked my suspect right away because I had suspected him in the previous episode and was pleasantly surprised by the fact that he wasn't guilty. That of course was rendered meaningless by the sequel ep.

If Brennan is 3 months further along in her pregnancy than she thought she was, this means either she had some menstruation during the first three months, or she frequently skips periods for several months at a time (common among endurance athletes--not that she is portrayed as such), or some other situation masked/confused her--which is fine and understandable if she had mentioned it to Booth or Angela or Cam (doctor) or someone! I mean, she's a verbally unfiltered anthropologist with medical training! Yeah, I know. They blamed it on denial. But it still seems like they could've thrown in a line about her biology when she was admitting that denial.

I have no trouble believing people would be rude enough to comment, as the rudeness of many people never fails to amaze me. Angela is her best friend, so she'd be more liberal than most with the teasing. And the mother of the dead girl in the first episode was angry over having been accused of abusing her child, so she was looking to lash out.

But the show in general does seem to be on a bit of a tear with targeting fat women for ridicule. It's one of the still-socially-acceptable ways to be scornful and self-righteous and not be considered to be that way at all, unfortunately.

While I know that people do think it is their place to comment on people's weight (and Angela doesn't count because of their BFF-ness and the kindness she expressed), it was just done so heavy handed and poorly.  While I can envision a case where a grieving mother would make fun of a pregnant woman who pissed her off, the show didn't sell it to me. 

Some shows handle certain things really bad.  If you see a person of color or who isn't hetero on Supernatural, you kind of cringe knowing that they can't really handle nonwhite, nonstraight very well. If you see a sex worker on Game of Thrones, it's going to be awful misogynist soon. And apparently Bones' thing now is going to be heavy women. The men get a pass.

Another thing that bugged me a few weeks ago with the "ew gross fat women all sweaty and har har they can't climb that wall" stuff:  Those women are clearly working out, trying to take care of themselves, and yet they're being made fun of. While I'm smaller than the women shown, I am still much, much bigger than Cam, for example. And while I work out every day, it makes me feel really uncomfortable doing it around other people because of the judgy looks. It's really hard once you get to plus-size land to lose that weight or even maintain it. So you're judged for being that big and then you get mocked for trying to do something about it? It's a bad statement from the show and it can't be just ignored when it came up again this week.

It would be one thing if some characters were making comments and other characters called them out on it.  Some shows can handle nuance and subtlety and complicated social issues.  This is just feeling like making fun of people's weights. And the thing is, I don't get why she had to be wrong about her due date. That whole denial thing explains it, but I don't get why they had to go there in the first place. Why can't she be 6 months along and known since day one and just not told anyone? THAT seems more like Brennan.  I just don't get what purpose it serves to have her acknowledge her pregnancy but not the conception date.  It's just weird. I mean, if she wasn't married (I assume she's faithful) or something, I could get it more on a "who's the daddy" level, but it doesn't work here.  Why can't we have found out she was pregnant and then three months passed in show time?

I don't expect spectacular writing from this show and it goes off the rails A LOT, but it's starting to go down the "can't suspend disbelief" path a little too far, a little too often, even using itself as a reference point.

• Love 3

I wonder if the Show thinks it's being 'trendy'/reflecting society with the comments about Bones and those women. I've been taken aback by how strangers - store clerk, transit worker, a new guest in a friend's home - think it's their place to comment on or question a woman about her "pregnancy."  Also, women get praised for appearing thin/losing weight and therefore 'looking great'.  

(edited)

Nah it's not that weird. Some people don't know that they're pregnant right away.

One thing that bugs me is next week's preview tbh. I'm on pins and needles. I REALLY hope they don't do it. I won't bother to watch the show anymore if they did. It wouldn't be worth my time -_-.

It is true that you tend to expand faster with your second pregnancy. But the difference between 3 months and 6 months is huge - by that time the baby is moving around. The early movements (at about 4 months, if I recall) are easy to miss, by six months they're somersaulting on your bladder.

Also, I think I heard her say "I thought it was twins, but the doctor said it wasn't." Which implied she'd actually seen a doctor.

Totally agree on the fat shaming direction. It really bothers me. It's a cheap laugh - which racial jokes used to be.

Edited by clanstarling
  • Love 1

It is true that you tend to expand faster with your second pregnancy. But the difference between 3 months and 6 months is huge - by that time the baby is moving around. The early movements (at about 4 months, if I recall) are easy to miss, by six months they're somersaulting on your bladder.

Also, I think I heard her say "I thought it was twins, but the doctor said it wasn't." Which implied she'd actually seen a doctor.

Totally agree on the fat shaming direction. It really bothers me. It's a cheap laugh - which racial jokes used to be.

Good points!

It doesn't make a lot of sense that they went in the direction that they did.

Agreed. I'm NOT a fan of it either. Shame on you writers. *shakes head*

• Love 1

I'm guessing (please correct me if y'all have more info) that the writers weren't sure at first if the pregnancy was going to included in-show or not. The decision might've been above their pay grade, so to speak. So when it was written in when ED was 6 months, someone felt the need to explain it, hence the denial story. If I'm right, based on the reactions on this board, they probably should have just done a 3 or 4 month time leap between two episodes. IDK.

BTW, if your kids are 4-5 years apart, like mine were and like Brennan's are, you don't necessarily get "bigger faster."

And, FWIW, isn't ED looking less puffy (I go by face) this pregnancy than last? Of course, that can be related to water retention.

Yeah, your theory is probably correct.  They should have skipped a few months.

Also, when they found out it was going to be their secret and now everyone knows. Why don't they want us to see their friends finding out? Two pregnancies in a row.

That was quite a fakeout with the headmistress.  How do you name a character who's the headmistress of an all-girl's boarding school Miss Minchin and then not have her be the killer?  Did anyone else catch that?  Or is A Little Princess not as famous a book as I think it is?

• Love 1

Daisy was vexed with the prospect of dating after six months post Sweets' death.  I kept waiting for Bones to come to the conclusion that she didn't want her conception date to be so close to Sweets' death date.  She almost got there, but not quite. 

I didn't buy for a second that such an evidenced based scientist would ignore her OBGYN's measurement of her fetus.  That led to waaaay too much body shaming snark.

• Love 1

I was so sure the reason for her denial would come down to something about Sweets' death, but instead we got a plot line that might have made sense with her first pregnancy.

It felt like with Bones worrying about the safety of her growing family with what they do, and Angela wanting to move to Paris that they were preparing for the show not being renewed. I have been (not so) secretly hoping they would end this show for 4-5 years now, but looks like we're set for season 11. Hoping they don't kill off any more of the main cast, that'd be simply too much to bear in the believability department.

Was Christine conceived when Bones and Booth first hooked up after the death of Vincent Nigel-Murray or are we to assume it happened later? 

I was so sure the reason for her denial would come down to something about Sweets' death, but instead we got a plot line that might have made sense with her first pregnancy.

It felt like with Bones worrying about the safety of her growing family with what they do, and Angela wanting to move to Paris that they were preparing for the show not being renewed. I have been (not so) secretly hoping they would end this show for 4-5 years now, but looks like we're set for season 11. Hoping they don't kill off any more of the main cast, that'd be simply too much to bear in the believability department.

Was Christine conceived when Bones and Booth first hooked up after the death of Vincent Nigel-Murray or are we to assume it happened later? 

I was thinking after he got out of prison tbh.

VNM was the reason Christine exists. That was the sex that got her knocked up. 

• Love 3

VNM was the reason Christine exists. That was the sex that got her knocked up. 

That's what I thought. And with Bones being six months pregnant, and Sweets died about six months ago... 

• Love 2

See, now the show has made me think that Bones is only fertile when someone close to her is killed. Shut up, show.

It's the circle of life and it moves us all! One person dies and another is born. Who knew the writing monkeys were so deep? 

• Love 2

See, now the show has made me think that Bones is only fertile when someone close to her is killed. Shut up, show.

Fertile or horny ... and frankly, I don't know which is worse.

• Love 1