Type keyword(s) to search

S10.E17: Nesting and Room Re-Do

(edited)

Well Josie was the only child Michelle ever had a sustained interest in and that was only because it was forced on her by her long hospitalization AND being on tv. Josie was their cause if you will. "Look at my miracle child." And even abused children run to seek affection from the abusive parent so I don't think that you can read a whole lot into Josie running to Michelle. Yea that's snarky but the comparison is apt. And no I did not say that Michelle abused her children other than that physical and emotional neglect that's rampant in that family. (my opinion of course, they and other people would probably not agree, I'm talking lack of real affection, lack of education, etc. not the classical neglect you get hauled into court for).

And frankly there isn't much difference between a 10 and 15 minute seizure in the long run, both are horribly long for everyone concerned.

Edited by Chicklet
  • Love 5
(edited)

Jana said "at least 10 minutes." 

I believe that 15 minutes came from combining the time of the seizure before the paramedics got there with the time she still exhibited seizure characteristics after they arrived. Not that hard to get to 15. 

I'd say that's pretty damn serious, and in no way a "glitch." The young children (in this family probably down to Jason) wouldn't know the nuances of the words, especially given that almost-11 year old Jackson is in the 4th grade, and 13 year-old James can barely do his multiplication tables. The only words they really know come from fundie-speak; I'm sure even Josie can use "purpose" as a verb in a sentence. :D

Yes, I'm openly criticizing their "education." The younger kids have definitely gotten the short shrift here.

Edited by Sew Sumi
  • Love 6

Please remember the episode threads are to discuss about what happen in the one episode. The thread is not to debate about who is the favorite child of JB and Michelle, talk about personal experiences, or talk about one of the older daughters anger towards her parents.

I have moved some of the posts since the last mod note to the correct thread. Posts may be moved, edited or deleted.

Something I don't think anyone else mentioned: I thought it was a bit telling that Josie wasn't whining or crying for Michelle or JimBob at all, in the hospital or when she came home.  She gladly went to Jessa when she was passed off to her.  I find it odd that any child with a close bond to their parents wouldn't want them when they were sick.  Even if she didn't have enough energy to throw a fit and was out of it, whining and quiet crying don't take so much energy that I'd write it off as simply that.  It didn't matter how shitty I felt, including some emergency situations that caused extreme lethargy and unresponsiveness, or coming out of surgery anesthesia and not being even slightly with it - if my mom or dad wasn't there, there were tears.  

Likewise, I can't imagine any mother hearing "your child had a 15 minute seizure, turned blue and needed a CAT scan" and the response not being "I'm on the next plane."  Mother of the Year indeed.

I was crying the whole time - Jana is just in such a horrible position.  Yeah, she's an adult, but this is asking too fucking much of her.  She's Josie's mother, but she never agreed to be.  She didn't adopt her or give birth to her; she had the kid handed to her and was basically told "here, good luck with this, I'm tired of her."  (And I do agree that she doesn't seem to have retained much from her first responder training but I figured she was in that as a chaperone or for appearances, rather than out of interest.  And it's always different when it's a loved one.  I had to do at-home medical care for my father when he had a tracheostomy and while it wasn't difficult in general, the fact that it was my dad made it harder, you know?)

• Love 8
Yes, I'm openly criticizing their "education." The younger kids have definitely gotten the short shrift here.

Yeah, they missed out on learning all about bankruptcy (it doesn't mean that you go to a bank)!

• Love 5

It's also very telling (in my opinion) that Jana was crying and panicking, and seemed so shaken even in TTH (that's when they're just talking to the camera right? Just checking), and Michelle finished whatever she wanted to do in Chicago before coming home. Wtf kind of mother does that?! Michelle truly doesn't give a fuck about her kids, and I wish I could do something about it....

• Love 3

There's a reason why medical personnel are not allowed to treat their own family members. Faulting Jana for being scared out of her mind that her sister might be dying in front of her (and intimating there's something wrong with her for not snapping into whatever first responder training she's received) is sad at best. I live in the Seattle area; this is considered one of the "best" places in the country to have a heart attack because of the sheer number of those trained in CPR here. At the same time, every time I re-certify the instructor says the most important part (besides making sure the person doesn't choke) is pointing at one person, making eye contact and saying in a loud voice, "Call 911 and come back to tell me you did it. Now." People freeze, panic, freak out in the face of a medical emergency.

I'll say it: Jim Boob and J-Chelle lost their right to go globetrotting by themselves and "ministering" around the country when they chose to have nineteen children, and they are both beyond contempt for rallying for the "unborn" while deserting their own children on a regular basis. Stay home and take care of your OWN kids first. Period. It's not Jana's job to parent their kids and never has been. It's unfortunate that so many people around that family are too invested in leghumping and sucking up to the reality "stars" to call them out on their disregard and neglect of the most basic aspects of their children's development. Interestingly enough, the wheels appear to be coming off the bus as it picks up speed; the fact TLC's cameras have managed to catch some pretty telling things over this past season, whether Jim Boob and J-Chelle realize it or not. If they think they got heat over Gothard, Cat Gate, the fact that Jessa Blessa doesn't know that Venice, Rome and Paris aren't countries, Jilly Muffin's lack of knowledge of how to safely use a ring sling, etcetera, the fun's just beginning.

I'm sure TLC thought showing the seizure footage was a real ratings grabber. I am hoping it's enough to herald the beginning of the end.

• Love 9

Watching the replay of this episode and wow, those EMT'S were pissed! The first guy was glaring at the camera and the second shook his head in disgust as he slammed his gear bag on the counter. I can only imagine what they were thinking when they walked in and saw that film crew.

• Love 6
(edited)

I wanted to slap Michelle's bitch ass through the tv screen when she called Josie's seizure a "glitch." 

Isn't this the same child that JB and Michelle have been feeding viewers the line for the last 3-4 years that Precious Miracle Youngest J-girl is "just fine" and "doing well" health-wise, despite having been born at 24 weeks and spending her first three months in the NICU?  Guess what you two dunderheads, that makes you liars! 

As to Jana freaking out while Josie was having it? 

Makes sense to me.  Jana, not Michelle-dingbat is actually that child's mother.

Edited by brewerrkj
  • Love 3

As far as writing do's and don'ts and posting them on the refrigerator for emergency situations--this would normally be a great idea. However, I'm not sure that many of the younger ones were ever purposed to learn to read. After all, they don't seem to be able to do math.

• Love 2
(edited)

The thing is, I don't think Jana should be left with Josie if she's going to panic like that. Nor do I think that any parent of an epileptic child has to put the rest of their lives on hold because their child might have a seizure once every few months, as it seems this is Josie's pattern. The situation as it is now is unfair to everyone. What would be best is to hire someone to care for Josie who has some training and is a little more removed personally from the situation. This allows JB and Michelle to continue their careers, Josie to develop and grow as normally as possible, and Jana to be relieved of a responsibility she clearly doesn't want (and doesn't need.)

FEML - That.Will.Never.Happen.In.Jim-Bob.Duggar's.World.  There is no way, no how that freaking Millionaire would ever pay for an "outsider" to come into his "perfect" "wonderful" household and especially allow that someone to be paid for it.

Edited by brewerrkj
  • Love 2

He's already hired one of the Query girls to come in to help with the homeschooling. And with Jill and Jessa gone, I wouldn't be surprised to have someone else brought in as well.

Perhaps that's another reason for the Marjorie courtship. She can not only play piano, but help with school for a year or so before the wedding. She might be calm under pressure, especially given that it wouldn't be her sister.

I noticed that too.  The EMTs looked really pissed. 

Maybe the cameras annoyed them but personally, I think they should've left that emotion aside.  It didn't film well for their EMT department and it looked a little childish.  Maybe you're not a Duggar fan but just focus on the the patient. And how long did it take him to put on his gloves? Damn...you should snap those puppies on and get in the emergency.  

Plus, weren't the Duggar kids all so buddy buddy with the EMT department etc? Weren't the kids EMTs or something at some point?  Guess that fell apart. Angry looks and attitude?  Someone isn't very popular.  

The whole scence was uncomfortable to watch...from Jana comepletely unnerved to the angry EMT to the cameras rolling to Josie naked on some kitchen counter to the EMT and his gloves. 

• Love 2

Did anyone notice that at the end of the room redo, they did a quick shot of the wall over one of the beds and there was a portrait of what looked to be MEchelle.  I hope I imagined it but if not, I just find it sick.  Who puts big framed pictures of their mothers on their bedroom wall?  It's just very strange to me.  Makes me wonder if there is one of Boob on another wall.

What? I have a big a** pic of me right across from my son's bed with a camera lens hidden in one of my pupils :-p

Doesn't every good mom do this?

/s

If those poor kids aren't suffering enough having to share a barracks room...:-/ the group home I lived in was better than the damn compound these poor kids are in. We had 2 girls to a room(8 kids in each cottage)...and two girls who were senior in the house had the coveted room with the attached bathroom:D

• Love 3
(edited)

I thought the EMTs were pissed because they recognized how sick it is to film a small child having a seizure while her sister completely loses it.  I imagine they would've glowered at anyone doing that, Duggars or not.  If their first thought wasn't "what the fuck is wrong with you?!" I'd wonder what was wrong with them.

And I do think that, for once, JimBob and Michelle should put their lives on hold for their child.  They have nineteen of them, and they've never once done that, no matter what the situation, at least not in the time they've been in the public eye.  They owe it to them to actually care for them and make them a priority.  They never will, of course, but they should.  Any "normal" family who actually takes care of their kids, I would agree that it's not necessary to shut down their jobs to care for a special needs child, but they've never sacrificed anything at all for their children and constantly require their children to sacrifice for them.  If they can't hire a freaking babysitter for Josie, they should stay home and not leave the burden on Jana and JimBob's mother.

Edited by WTFFF
  • Love 4

I thought the EMTs were pissed because they recognized how sick it is to film a small child having a seizure while her sister completely loses it.  I imagine they would've glowered at anyone doing that, Duggars or not.  If their first thought wasn't "what the fuck is wrong with you?!" I'd wonder what was wrong with them.

I wonder how often they see stuff like that these days, what with cell phone cameras being all over the place. It seems like people are ready to film rather than jump in and help anymore.  Obviously this was way worse with a whole full on film crew, but I bet they are getting disgusted with that kind of behavior in general. I assume the EMTs had to sign release waivers for their faces to be shown?  So maybe they wanted the audience to catch that.

• Love 1

I noticed that too.  The EMTs looked really pissed. 

Maybe the cameras annoyed them but personally, I think they should've left that emotion aside.  It didn't film well for their EMT department and it looked a little childish.  Maybe you're not a Duggar fan but just focus on the the patient. And how long did it take him to put on his gloves? Damn...you should snap those puppies on and get in the emergency.  

Plus, weren't the Duggar kids all so buddy buddy with the EMT department etc? Weren't the kids EMTs or something at some point?  Guess that fell apart. Angry looks and attitude?  Someone isn't very popular.  

The whole scence was uncomfortable to watch...from Jana comepletely unnerved to the angry EMT to the cameras rolling to Josie naked on some kitchen counter to the EMT and his gloves. 

They worked through the fire dept. as volunteer first responders. They were not paid EMTs. Unless there was a fire that required someone to be transported, I don't see that there would have been much overlap between the two, even in such a small community.

Ah yes, that was where they decided to make the pants into skirts for themselves and then showed them off to the head honcho and guys who were in the office with them.  Head hancho and guys, looked at them like they were nuts and and waste of time, and went back to what they were previously engaged in.  Which would be shooting shit it it's like most of the man groups I've been around!

• Love 2

To address Jana's reaction...I think this just goes to show she had no interest in the first responder training, because she didn't even follow the most basic approach to a seizure (and I am not at all faulting her for that, she did the best she knew to do in the situation, my point is just that she probably had no interest to begin with). My guess as to why grandma didn't step in is because Jana was the one with the training, and generally the "most qualified" is the one doing the care of the patient.

Part of me wonders where John David was... But then I remember how the last time he didn't even recognize his own address when he heard the radio call... So maybe it's best he didn't show up.

To address Jana's reaction...I think this just goes to show she had no interest in the first responder training, because she didn't even follow the most basic approach to a seizure (and I am not at all faulting her for that, she did the best she knew to do in the situation, my point is just that she probably had no interest to begin with). My guess as to why grandma didn't step in is because Jana was the one with the training, and generally the "most qualified" is the one doing the care of the patient.

Part of me wonders where John David was... But then I remember how the last time he didn't even recognize his own address when he heard the radio call... So maybe it's best he didn't show up.

Oh yeah, those Duggar kids weren't any licensed emergency professionals...they just made skirts, I think?

You would think though in a small town and a name of Duggar, who participated somehow in some emergency responder capacity, that they would've carried some street cred.  People tend to extend a little "professional courtesy".  Clearly, those EMTs did exactly the opposite. Ha! All the Duggar rambling about the emergency responder this, that and the other thing.  EMTs showed up and looked pissed.  

I agree, the EMT was probably totally annoyed at the cameras, obviously.  As a viewer, I was annoyed! Just thought he should've left that emotion outside...it was Josie that was in need.  Poor child didn't call the film crew. 

That episode was vile. An ambulance shot and a talking head would've been fine. That epioside really bothered me.  

• Love 1

That episode was vile. An ambulance shot and a talking head would've been fine. That epioside really bothered me.

Even down to the episode title, they are minimizing the whole thing. Tacking Josie's seizure and trip to the hospital onto the end of an episode of repainting the girls' dorm is just an odd editing choice.

• Love 2

Part of me wonders if JD even lives there anymore.  I seem to recall him owning property.  I wouldn't be surprised if he owns a house and stays there.  I can't see him sleeping in that room the little boys.  Just a thought.

• Love 1
Part of me wonders if JD even lives there anymore.  I seem to recall him owning property.  I wouldn't be surprised if he owns a house and stays there.  I can't see him sleeping in that room the little boys.  Just a thought.

I truly hope he is living on his own. A 25-year old man sharing quarters with pre-teen siblings is everything and all between sad and creepy. I hope even Jim Boob realises this.

• Love 3