Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E20: Chapter Twenty

Xo tries apologizing to Rogelio, but it's not an easy task. Meanwhile, Alba reveals details about her accident; Jane focuses on doing what's best for the baby after learning about its breech position; and Jane asks Michael to catch Petra in a lie.

Not my favorite episode.  The wrestling stuff just wasn't that funny and the return of Luisa was pretty lame - she wasn't nearly loopy enough to be fun.  Jane figuring out that shadow must've been the hostage from a blurry picture of a window was eyeroll-worthy.  They can't seem to decide why Rafael broke up with Jane (last week he's worried he'll drag her down into his darkness, this week he needs to just focus on the hotel - which is it show?).  Loved Rogelio's floating head though.  Hoping for a return to form next week.

• Love 1

You can follow him on Twitter!

Is it just me, or was Lusia on point tonight, so funny. It was also nice to see Rafael and Lusia together. They have an actual sibling dynamic. Uh, Jane thinks they're having a girl, but everything in the nursery was blue? Am I conforming to gender norms, or did I miss something?

I think reality is finally settling in with Jane. I would prefer her and Rafael together, but hey, I can't always get what I want. Jane is so independent, anyway, i'm not sure how I didnt see it coming.

I'm SO GLAD Rogelio is back at Santos, I just hope mean head writer lady doesn't eff it up for him again. 

Where is Rose? What is Rose doing. I can't believe they put her in the previously on, but not in the ep?

and its weird to hear Alba speaking English (like I know she could I watch Teen Wolf and Switched at Birth its just weird to hear it here)

I LOVE how they credit Jane's knowledge of memory loss and recovery to telenovellas. 

Did not see that end coming? (Should I have? yes, probably. This opens up a whole new can of worms though.)

• Love 2

Luisa isn't always loopy and I'm glad she wasn't in this ep.  For once Rafael had someone to talk to and to tell him he was being stupid/doing the wrong thing. 

I do think the custody thing is related to all the frustration going on in Jane's life right now but it likely will just lead to more frustration for her. 

I like that Rogelio is back as El Presidente but I wonder how long they can believably have that telenovela go on.  These things have an end date. 

As for Sin Rostro, I do think she's back but we won't know what she looks like until the season finale.  I loved Bridget Regan in the role but my guess is there's a reason they introduced the plastic surgery angle.  My top suspects right now are the romance group leader--perhaps she's too old but Jane Seymour has been around, even as a glorified extra during the baby shower, for too many episodes for that not to pay off somehow.  Or it could possibly be the therapist Rafael and Jane saw last week.  Again, Nia Vardalos is a bigger name than the role they gave her.  I suppose it could also be Andie.  Or even the wrestler. 

Edited by Irlandesa
  • Love 1

Those wrestler graphics were awesome!!!

Luisa's back! But she didn't see Rose? That's a little underwhelming. Although... maybe Juicy is Rose? She has a different face now, doesn't she?

Jane's breakdown with Alba over being a single mother... oh Gina, you kill me!

I enjoyed the wrestling stuff, and I think it's fun to see Gina R getting to do a variety of types of scenes. This is a very talky show-- and I love the dialogue, so that's not a complaint, but it's still nice to see them doing other things besides talking.

I thought Gina was terrific in the scene where she breaks down and cries to her abuela. I really felt that, in a way I didn't when she cried over the break up with Raphael last week.

• Love 3

Gina was amazing in that scene. I'm glad she gets to show her range here. A lot of good stuff tonight, as always, but Rogelio's floating space head cracked me up the most. How does he keep getting better?

• Love 3

Favourite moment: When the narrator tells the viewer to check on google about that ridiculous burning stuff. I was literally thinking this is not real and then he says "it's a real thing. Google it" GOLD

• Love 3

Man, Gina is just killing it! Her break down was just wonderfully done, I felt so bad for her.

I don't think she is going to go through with sole custody though. She has so much going on, she just needs to think harder on that. Plus, she is eventually going to figure out the truth about Rafael.

Go Rogalio! El Presidente lives!

I love that Milos has apparently become a Passions of Santos fan! It does look pretty entertaining.

The wresting stuff was great. I love the imagine spots. The Eastern Block! 

I loved last night's episode. It had a pace that resembled the back breaking one of early episodes. Good stuff.

Gina was AMAZING. I loved her being angry, determined, fighting for what she thinks is right. I LOVEd seeing her go to bat for Alba. And her breakdown in her abuela's arms... Heartbreaking. But very well done.

I loved that Jane finally confronted Petra - she had softened her attitude up towards her after Jane learned about Milos and everything else. But now, she sees how shifty she is, and more over she's defending her abuela... Loved it.

While I enjoyed Rogelio's lines in this episode, as well as the floating head and the return to Passion of Santos... I felt like the scenes between Xo and Ro were total filler. I was surprised at how little I cared about what was going on between them (which is weird, because I love them both!)

I know it's a show, and a telenovela at at... But it bothers me so much that Michael and Rafael believe Petra's lies! Come on, dudes! You know who she is. Stop believing her!

Magda...  She's terrifying. LOL She is STILL controlling Petra with Milos, with guilt, and with sheer determination. 

The wrestling cracked me up, not gonna lie. Luisa and Juicy together, OMG, I almost died laughing. Juicy is suspicious to me, as well as the fact that Luisa apparently didn't see Rose at all before coming back? Yeah, right. Is Juicy Sin Rostro now?

I'll echo what others before me have said - the therapist (Nia Vardalos) and the book group leader (Jane Seymour) are too big fo names to only have small parts in this show. I guess we will have to wait and see...

Rafael broke my heart, again, but he also made me want to twist his neck. I could feel his conflicting emotions towards Jane, and it made me so sad for him. But, seeing how stubborn (and wrong!) he is about staying away from Jane, as well as sorta kinda defending Petra made me want to punch him in his (beautiful) face!

Favorite scene:  Rogelio speaking of the telenova cliché of evil twins followed immediately by a split screen shot of Roman/Aaron.

From that to Xiomara hearing the background music, I think they had the more fun with telenovela clichés this episode than they have in a while. I loved it, but I'm also beginning to feel ambivalent about this conceit: it stylistically distinguishes JtV from other family dramas (and allows the plots to get a bit wilder), but how long before it feels more like a gimmick?

I wonder why Jane didn't tip Michael off about Petra's fake identity.  She and Rafael already dug up the proof to blackmail Petra into leaving them alone AND she already wants Petra gone.  Plus Luisa is back so it seems like a win, win, win.  Maybe they'll revisit this topic next episode? 

Loved Luisa here. I feel like "We used to be close" is this show's code for "We were set up as being tight, but I'm a recurring character, not a regular, sooooo...

Edited by whyjoshua
  • Love 1

Several funny scenes but, overall, I didn't like the episode very much. I'm NOT looking forward a legal battle for full custody, nor Petra trying to get Rafael back.

I really hope they don't go there, in both cases.

Of course, you can always count on Rogelio for some comic relief! I really hope the actor gets some recognition, he really deserves it!

• Love 2

Kind of over Jane and her self-righteousness. While I get that in this case she was in the right, the show needs to stop painting her as a Mary Sue. At this point, I get irritated whenever she has a conflict because I know the show will have her win/ depict her as morally in the correct lane. I so prefer Xo, Rogelio, Michael, basically any scene but Jane. Nothing against Gina Rodriguez, who I think does an excellent job with what she's given. 

• Love 3
Is Juicy Sin Rostro now?

I did notice she was introduced as being from Santa Rosa, California, but maybe that's just a...rojo herring?

I can also totally see Rose stealing some wrestler's identity. The more famous guest stars don't have as close a body type match to Bridget Regan as Juicy Jordan's actress.

Very good episode. Still hoping they cool it with the "Michael does things for Jane in hopes of winning her back" angle (they were mostly good about it, but that look Michael gave Rafael at the hotel was irritating). Jane shouldn't be considering a relationship with anyone until she has the baby, but if she does, it needs to be based on her feelings alone. Michael is a nice guy, writers -- don't make him into a Nice Guy.

• Love 3
(edited)

Also, this episode has done nothing to change my (completely unspoiled) feeling that Jane will have a boy. Namely:

1) Jane keeps referring to the unborn child as a girl. It being a boy means that Jane will have to adapt and learn she can't control (or intuit) everything, no matter how hard she tries.

2) We've just had an entire plot about Rafael growing up without one of his parents. If the kid is a boy, he will see this as a chance to repair the sins of his own life (by being in his child's life).

3) Jane has decided to sue for full custody, meaning she, Xo and Alba would raise the baby on their own. If it's one more girl, they've been there, done that! If it's a boy...well, that's a whole new adventure. (kind of a weak reason, but if Jane believes passionately the baby is a girl, I could see her thinking her mother and grandmother would know just what to do -- as they've had experience raising girls on their own, but not boys)

In my opinion, the baby will be a boy just to separate Jane's situation from her mother and grandmother. Because, regardless of what happens with Rafael -- short of Sin Rostro knocking him off -- somehow, he will be a part of the child's life from an early age in a way it does not seem either Xo's father or Rogelio were.

Of course, I'm fully prepared to be wrong, but I know that's what I would do if I were the writer. Make the mother absolutely certain it's a girl and then...throw a curveball (so to speak).

Edited by Eolivet
  • Love 1
(edited)

Catching up on episodes, I just finished this one. I am so on Jane's side. I am tired of characters like Petra being written in a "sympathetic" manner because they didn't really know how evil their mother was. WHATEVER. Also, Gina just nailed it this episode.

Edited by memememe76
  • Love 1

Ok, this is the Jane I came to adore in the earlier episodes. The one who's sassy, can stand up for herself and is fairly independent. I actually really enjoyed all of her moments, even with Rafael. And this is why seeing single Jane is going to be fun. Her moments with her abuela were fantastic too. I loved that she stood up for her. Her dream fight with Petra was fantastic. This is the type of comedy I missed and desperately needed.

I really, really love Rafael/Petra's team ups. Also, Michael/Jane teaming up was great too. This truly did feel like an episode from the first half, one that I really liked. 

I'm glad Rogelio got his show back. And I'm glad we got to have some more Rogelio/Luisa scenes. We needed them, and I love family scenes.

Juicy Jordan? I could see her being Rose. I've been looking out for new characters that look like Bridget Reagan, both females and even males. I guess the therapist could be Rose as well. How interesting would that be? I don't see Jane Seymour being Rose, though. That author is only connected to Jane, and I would think Rose would prefer a more direct link to Rafael. And I don't know if she would be Andi, though that would be the twist.

Was this the first episode where it was mentioned that Rafael and Luisa had different mothers?

As sad as the breakup has been for Jane, I like that she is being more independent. I was getting tired of her always waiting around for Rafael between his meetings.

The wrestling match ups throughout the episode were fun!

Jane was not smart to confront Magda right away. If she had just gone straight to Michael, then Magda and Petra wouldn't have had time to set things up for their alibis.

So is Andie going to become a crazed stalker now that Michael has dumped her?