Type keyword(s) to search

The Annual Tony Awards - General Discussion

• Start Topic

(edited)

Why is Miss Saigon still a thing? It and The King and I should be banished into musical hell.

And unfortunately, these shows are still the only way most Asian can get jobs on Broadway.

Edited by argrow
  • Love 2

I love The King and I. It's a well constructed show and that score is fantastic. And the recent revival was gorgeous. 

Per that New Yorker article, I would give Miss Saigon the award for "Best Ill-Conceived Revival of a Racist Musical"

• Love 2
4 minutes ago, ebk57 said:

Which is too bad.  The number didn't come off well on TV, but the show is quite lovely.

Miss Saigon, otoh, is a show I don't need to see again.  That was really melodramatic.

Your comment about Miss Saigon is pretty much what my DS16 just said to me.

We don't get to NYC often enough to see a ton of shows, so unfortunately, we tend go for the big ones. We're going next month and are seeing Lion King. Which is not to say I wouldn't try some of the others, but time and funds just don't allow for it as much as I'd like.

1 minute ago, argrow said:

Why is Miss Saigon still a thing? It and The King and I should be banished into musical hell.

And unfortunately, these shows are still the only ways most Asian can get jobs Broadway.

South Pacific doesn't do them any favors, either.

I feel like they were hiding Alistair Brammer or whatever his name is. But it worked better than other medleys. I don't know if the ensemble needed to be there but it gave a sense of the scope of the show. 

I love South Pacific too. But I agree that Mary and her daughter are kind of embarrassing... even if Younger Than Springtime is GORGEOUS. And the stuff with Nellie and whatshisface's kids hasn't aged well. 

Kevin Spacey keeping with the blue suit trend. By the way, what do the blue ribbons mean?

2 minutes ago, Eureka said:

Your comment about Miss Saigon is pretty much what my DS16 just said to me.

We don't get to NYC often enough to see a ton of shows, so unfortunately, we tend go for the big ones. We're going next month and are seeing Lion King. Which is not to say I wouldn't try some of the others, but time and funds just don't allow for it as much as I'd like.

I understand.  I only get to NY twice a year, but fortunately, I can stay for several days and drain my bank account at will :-)

I think Lion King is a breathtaking night in the theatre.  Even if it is Lion King...

• Love 3

Oh, for a second I thought they would actually perform something from Indecent.

Nice they gave Paula Vogel a moment though. It's going to annoy me that so many women are nominated and not winning. *cough Hello Dolly costumes cough*

I recently found out that Paula Vogel went to my high school and also had her life turned around by the drama teacher.  He turned my life around too - for better or worse :-)

• Love 3
1 minute ago, Charlie Baker said:

The statements from playwrights are fine,but yes, a clip or short scene would be nice.

The problem with clips, though, is that there's no context for them, so it's often hard to figure out why that particular clip is the best representation of the play.

I am not going to be able to stay up for this whole show because I need to get up for work tomorrow. But I am really hoping Laura Linney wins. I love her in everything she does. Enjoy the show everyone!

• Love 3

In the distant past--yep, I'm old--scenes from plays on the Tonys worked pretty well.  I liken it to movie clips on talk shows, sometimes they work better than others.  But they can be effective.

And it is swell indeed that all four plays are by American writers.

• Love 2
1 minute ago, aradia22 said:

I don't think this works as well out of context... like, say Ring of Keys.

I think it works better out of context than any of the other songs in the show.

After watching that, it's no wonder Ben is on vocal rest.

That would explain why even though this is THE show on Broadway this season and all the press it got, I'm like "Um...how? Why?" (It doesn't help that I didn't mind La La Land, but I wasn't in love with it outside of "City of Stars.") 

I think it works better out of context than any of the other songs in the show.

I mean it doesn't give that emotional punch that explains oh, this is why everyone is raving over his performance. 

TNT Shakespeare series? Sexy young Shakespeare? Ugh.

Another blue suit from Hnath

2 minutes ago, Quof said:

Yeah, you do.  

And I say this as one who loathes teen angst, real or fictional. 

Thanks.  I'll keep that in mind.  Of course, it doesn't help that it was here at Arena Stage last year (or the year before) and I passed on it and now I don't want to pay the NYC prices...  :-)

Sally Field looks great!!

(edited)

My daughter gave me a Broadway.com gift certificate and I want to see Present Laughter with Kevin Kline this summer. Hope tickets won't be impossible now that Kevin has won.

This does not make me want to see Grounhog Day.

Edited by chitowngirl

I was hoping he would break out the impressions.  (Prays for Walken.)

I am only familiar with Andy Karl from his doomed ending on...Law and Order: SVU.  But wow, can he sing! 

• Love 1

I want to want to see Groundhog Day and Come From Away and Dear Evan Hansen. But I'm not there yet. I'm just going to see Great Comet 2 more times. Maybe Waitress. And War Paint and Anastasia.

12 minutes ago, aradia22 said:

I think Sally Field talking about the ATW is the closing anyone got to mentioning Trump.

Cynthia Nixon didn't mention him by name, but I assumed she was talking about Trump and his administration (at the end of her speech).