Type keyword(s) to search

S14.E06: Samantha

• Start Topic

I am not sure what to make of the father in this one. A part of me wants to enter him in the worst father of an addict category (do we have one because if we don't we need to start one now because....wow!) another wonders if Samantha's addiction had a cascading affect on his personality. Dude has anger issues.

• Love 3

Normally, I would be very critical of a parent who moves away from his child, but it might have actually been better in this case. I don't think his leaving really had as much to do with Samantha's addiction as the rape.

I didn't care that much about her, which made me sad. Still happy to see her so healthy in the end, though.

Yeah, I was thinking he was such an ass but he did manage to come through.  I was also not too fond of her, not sure why.  I was however surprised by how great she looked at the phone call. I wish they would go back to doing visits instead.  She unlike most at the phone looked so alive and happy.  Glad she is still sober and hope she keeps it up.  

• Love 1

When an addict is prostituing themselves or begging on the street that is one thing when they are mooching off their family and lying to their faces about it that is a whole other box of crayons.

Plus I've noticed a lot of the addicts have day jobs,

Edited by Chaos Theory

This father is very selfish. It's obvious he left all those years ago because he didnt want to be a Dad...and still doesn't. He read the letter, but didnt mean it. Yes, he threw money at her - but that was so no one would look askance at Him, not because he loves her.

Edited by mythoughtis
  • Love 1

i find it interesting that kids always find the opinion or feelings of the absent parent so much more important. Even with successful people like President Obama and Halle Berry, they really strive to connect emotionally with the parent who really didn't care enough about them to show up.

• Love 7

Was it just me or did Ken look a bit under the weather in last night's episode?

I really wasn't feeling this episode. All the scenes leading up to the intervention looked particularly staged most especially Samantha's scenes with her father.

I was so bored I ended up turning it off before they reached the intervention. Glad Samantha is doing well though.

Edited by Enero

It may just be that I'm in an incredibly vulnerable place emotionally right now, but Sylvia has been the addict that I've been rooting the most, and even though we've seen her a few times showing her doing so well in her recovery, but damn, seeing her doing so great just hit me right in the chest.  I don't know if it's healthy to be incredibly proud of a woman that I will never meet, but even if she was the only addict this show managed to help, the whole thing has been worth it.

I did not like Samantha's dad in the slightest.  I get that it's difficult to be a parent of an addict, but if there was ever an example of what not to do, you'd find his picture.  Especially with his refusal to consider going to Al-Anon.

• Love 1

Didn't like Samantha at all. I did notice all the the stock tracking screens on her dad's computers though. I wonder if he is a day trader and that's how he makes all the money that Samantha shoots into her veins. 

Also, only $40 for sensual massage?? That seems low if she was so repulsed by having to do it. I assumed that it she was making much more than that to go through with something she hated doing so much.

I happy to see Sylvia's update! She looks so beautiful! To think that she is an interventionist now? She came a long way! YAY!!

Edited by PityFree
  • Love 1

Yep, good job, Sylvia!

You could design a whole semester's worth of psychology class around Samantha and her daddy.  Even though he'd said he'd like her to die--yikes--and even though you could almost see the invisible gun Ken was holding at his temple to make him grit out that he loved her, she wanted to hear it so much and it obviously meant everything to her.

Well, there you go--I was right not to have kids, because I'm clueless.  I had no idea how much impact it would have on Samantha to just hear the words, even if they didn't sound particularly heartfelt (to me.)

I have to go to the older show "Cringeworthy" thread to say the same thing about Gina, who was on last night with anorexic Kaila.  Gina's mother had stripped her down, beaten her bloody and blamed her for getting raped as a child--but Gina still crumbled at the intervention when her mother (as instructed) said she loved her.

ETA:  $40 "sensual massage" = handjob.

Edited by candall

I didn't hate Samantha like most of the rest of you... did she resemble Elisabeth Moss to anyone else?  Her dad was INTENSE... Ken did manage to get through to him, and I felt he was about as heartfelt as he was going to get.  Hope this family has some happiness in their future.

• Love 1

Ugh at Samantha's "friend" Rich, trying to put enabling tokens in the pretty addict until sex comes out.

Yes! What an apt description. In the brief scene where he was trying to hug her, you could see that she hated the arrangement. He was trying to cling to her even as she was jumping out of her skin and she had to push him off of her. Guys like that are literally only after one thing.

Her mother and sisters were so quiet and burned out. They've spent years watching the explosive dynamic between father and daughter and had given up. They did say that before he moved to FL, he and Sam were very close, so I can understand her profound sense of loss, combined with a gang rape by "friends."

So glad to see a healthy, happy Sylvia! I think I spotted a wedding ring.

ETA: one of Samantha's traits that made her hard to watch was the constant mumbling and stop-and-start sentences. "I know...I know...I need it for....you know, you know....money...."  Aaaarrrgggh.

Edited by pasdetrois

Manipulation at it's finest... that girl could start bawling at the drop of a dime. I don't believe for a minute she was sorry for anything she did while trying to get high. She wanted everyone to feel sorry for her. 

I'm glad she got sober - I didn't really think she would. 

• Love 2

Yep, good job, Sylvia!

You could design a whole semester's worth of psychology class around Samantha and her daddy.  Even though he'd said he'd like her to die--yikes--and even though you could almost see the invisible gun Ken was holding at his temple to make him grit out that he loved her, she wanted to hear it so much and it obviously meant everything to her.

Well, there you go--I was right not to have kids, because I'm clueless.  I had no idea how much impact it would have on Samantha to just hear the words, even if they didn't sound particularly heartfelt (to me.)

I have to go to the older show "Cringeworthy" thread to say the same thing about Gina, who was on last night with anorexic Kaila.  Gina's mother had stripped her down, beaten her bloody and blamed her for getting raped as a child--but Gina still crumbled at the intervention when her mother (as instructed) said she loved her.

ETA:  $40 "sensual massage" = handjob.

I got the feeling that Gina's mother may have been the spawn of Satan. That bitch was pure evil.
  • Love 1

I got the feeling that Gina's mother may have been the spawn of Satan. That bitch was pure evil.

Yep, she's the worst.  Incredibly, she not only owns it, she's proud.  "OF COURSE I BEAT MY KIDS!!"  Like, duh.

And 15 years later, she doesn't try to weasel out and say she never blamed her little girl for getting raped--that's her position and she's sticking with it.

So how desperate do you have to be for a mother's validation that you'd cuddle up with a monster like that?  So sad.

• Love 2