Type keyword(s) to search

Sherri Shepherd: "Is the Earth flat?"

springtime
  • Start Topic

I think Sherri should up and move out to LA after her Broadway run is over, to be closer to Jeffrey's dad and the new baby. If she is going to be paying Sal child support, she should be part of that child's life. She'll get plenty of work in the LA area.

• Love 1

If I were Sherri I wouldn't want to be part of LJ's life (ever)...and wouldn't want Sal to be involved in Jeffrey's life in any way.  Let sleeping, unemployed, lazy dogs lie.  She made some big mistakes with him and the surrogate, but it shouldn't be a life sentence.  

Edited by Former Nun
  • Love 7

if she wants no part of LJ's life, then I think she should get out of paying any kind of child support

I don't know which state's law will ultimately govern this but, in California, child support & visitation are not reciprocal.  A parent has an obligation to pay support for the child, regardless of whether that parent is allowed to spend time with the child -- so a parent who isn't allowed to (or doesn't want to) spend time with the child can still be legally required to contribute to the child's support.   The ultimate issue always is what's good for the child, not whether the parent is pleased with the arrangements.

• Love 6

Flash back: "We’re starting the process of making sure the uterus that we picked is not crazy," Shepherd, who already has an eight-year-old son from a previous marriage, told Essence.com. "I’m a boy’s type of girl… Girls are just too high maintenance."

Fast forward: Gee how does one check a uterus for crazy? Who is going to be high maintenance now?

I don't think there should be a difference if the child was carried by a surrogate, adopted or conceived by the two of them. She signed a contract.

And still, poor Jeffrey. I wonder what he was told about the baby.

• Love 6

Ok what if they had hired a surrogate, spilt up during the pregnancy, and BOTH changed their minds?

They'd still have an obligation to the child. Sherri wanted this baby, made arrangements for its conception a d birth. She doesn't get to walk away without any obligation.

(Unless the rumor that the surrogate is involved with Lamar is true)

Edited by backformore
  • Love 5

...and IF Sherri is to pay child support, I hope there can be a clause that there's no requirement for any visitation or contact.  The amount of child support ordered would be something she can afford today...but how long will she make a good (very good) living?  Maybe it will be like a relative of mine.  When her ex-husband (union construction) would be laid off, striking, or work was slow, he'd go to court for a reduction.  When she learned work/income was good again, she'd go to court for an increase...and so on and so on and so on for ten years.

• Love 1

That expression on Donnie's face could make for funny captioning.

Ok, I looked at all the pictures.  I don't know why, but I did notice that Sherri had gold fairly low heeled pumps on with her stuffed sausage roll dress and had black flats dancing.  Advance planning?  lol

• Love 2

That expression on Donnie's face could make for funny captioning.

Ok, I looked at all the pictures.  I don't know why, but I did notice that Sherri had gold fairly low heeled pumps on with her stuffed sausage roll dress and had black flats dancing.  Advance planning?  lol

She must have read the suggested packing list for the conference she's going to. Comfy shoes were on it, LOL.

The butter video wouldn't load for me. Just as well, I'm sure it was disgusting!!!

Edited by ginger90
  • Love 1

http://www.broadwayw...ERELLA-20140906 at the very start of Sherri's part of this interview she goes on about "just" finding out that she would be in 8 shows a week. Whoopie asked her the day she announced getting this gig, did she think she could handle 8 shows a week. Anyone who knows anything about Broadway knows there are 8 shows a week

She cannot be this STUPID. Has she NEVER gone to a Broadway show? Has she NOT seen clips of Broadway shows, where CLEARLY one can see the actors are NOT holding the scripts as they recite their lines/dialogue?

• Love 1

FYI: if an actor has a hard time remembering lines, they are hooked up with an earpiece so they can be cued from offstage. Broadway is way more electronics and technology compared to the days when Ethel Merman just belted the songs out to the back rows. Mics used to hang from the grid above the actors and you had to have a hell of a voice to appear on Broadway. Sometimes mics were also put at footlight level.

Now all actors wear body mics and the ones with faulty memories are rigged up with ear pieces. That's why stunt casting is possible.

• Love 2

Wasn't it said that Sherri had been offered this role previously but her schedule didn't allow for it? She appears to be skipping some: "Due to prior commitments, Sherri Shepherd is not scheduled to perform 9/19 - 9/20, 9/24, 9/28, 10/30, 11/7 - 11/9." Nene Leakes takes over Sherri's part on November 25th.

Maybe I'm all wet, but I'd hate to be starting a job that my replacement had already been named to take my place. Sure Sherri knew it was a limited time but the announcing of the Housewife of Atlanta "star" taking her place had to be weird. .......

Not to disrupt the flow, but I really wish that Sherri would move to LA and concentrate on tv and movies.  Whatever we think of her "persona" the woman can hustle and always attaches herself to good projects.

Her next movie "Top Five" where she plays Chris Rock's ex-girlfriend was just involved in a bidding war for distribution.  Every major studio wanted it, with Paramount Studios winning out.  It's a dramedy that Chris, wrote, produced, and directed.  The idea is to release it during Oscar season. 

These are the types of things that I wish Sherri would concentrate on.  I think that she has the work ethic and built enough relationships that can allow her to do movies and tv full time.

Edited by JBC344
  • Love 3
Maybe I'm all wet, but I'd hate to be starting a job that my replacement had already been named to take my place. Sure Sherri knew it was a limited time but the announcing of the Housewife of Atlanta "star" taking her place had to be weird.

Original reports were that she was "competing" with Nene Leakes for the part.  She probably consoles herself that she won, where facts might show that both were chosen--with specific dates in mind.

• Love 2

Interesting, I just read 3 articles on how successful Top Five will most likely be when released and the bidding awards to release it. Not one article mentioned Sherri....although Whoopi was mentioned in  2. There were lots of mentions about who has been involved in the movie in all 3.

• Love 3

Isn't today Sherri's first night on Broadway? Can't wait to see the reviews!!

Yep, it's debut night. She hasn't tweeted at all in a week. That has to be a personal record for her. Too busy? Too panicked and full of stage fright? We'll see. I'll be interesting to see the reviews. For the sake of the ticket buying audience I hope she does well, but....

She hasn't tweeted at all in a week.

She hasn't even tweeted acknowledging that Joan Rivers passed away.

She also hasn't retweeted anything mentioning her or Cinderella. I think something is not quite right. Or, she was blind sided by how much work/time the show requires compared to movies, and television.

• Love 3

Interesting, I just read 3 articles on how successful Top Five will most likely be when released and the bidding awards to release it. Not one article mentioned Sherri....although Whoopi was mentioned in 2. There were lots of mentions about who has been involved in the movie in all 3.

I read a review that names her. She's in one ensemble scene with a bunch of other comics, including Tracy Morgan, and the reviewer thought it was funny. Apparently Rock allowed the group to more or less improvise a lot of the scene. It's a scene about the successful main character going back to visit some of his old friends from his youth in the projects, so I think we can imagine exactly what kind of over-the-top characterization Sherri brought to it.

http://m.hitfix.com/in-contention/review-chris-rocks-top-five-is-simply-a-comedy-smash

• Love 2

I read a review that names her. She's in one ensemble scene with a bunch of other comics, including Tracy Morgan, and the reviewer thought it was funny. Apparently Rock allowed the group to more or less improvise a lot of the scene. It's a scene about the successful main character going back to visit some of his old friends from his youth in the projects, so I think we can imagine exactly what kind of over-the-top characterization Sherri brought to it.

http://m.hitfix.com/in-contention/review-chris-rocks-top-five-is-simply-a-comedy-smash

However much screen time Sherri actually has in the movie, it is always a good thing for an actor to be involved with a high profile movie that everyone is praising and is geared up for critical acclaim.  This is what I mean her reputation and resume is strong enough for her to get in the door and be hired by people doing quality projects. Hopefully she continues down this track.

• Love 4

JBC344, your idea about Sherri going back to California made me wonder. Anybody know if Sherri ever lived in "the city of NYC" before she got The View? Was The View the only reason she was even on the east coast?

Apparently she did at least one off off Broadway show a long time ago, so she must have lived there at least short-term at some point. However, my impression was that LA had been her homebase for many years before she moved to "the city of NYC" for The View.

However, my impression was that LA had been her homebase for many years before she moved to "the city of NYC" for The View.

As I recall when she was new to the show, she kept talking about the hard time she was having trying to live in the city. My impression was that she had not lived there before. She seemed to be a bit gob smacked at the whole thing.

• Love 2

Yeah, I think that when she would come to New York in the past it was always for a specific project and would probably stay in hotels or extended stays.  Her coming to NY for The View was her first real experience living here.  In her early days of The View she would always talk about how the other hosts were helping her in terms of where to live, shop, schools, etc cause she had no real experience navigating NY.

I think that is why she originally was living in the Trump Towers (this is where Tracy Morgan ended up flooding her apartment, she was the floor below him.  The infamous "Jeffrey grabs Sherri's wigs in an emergency" story.) Because that was a recognizable name and a safe place to live, albeit outrageously expensive.

My impression is that her preferred place to live would be california. She has no weather and transportation issues, close to TV and movie opportunities, good schools for Jeffrey, close to family and many close friends that live there, etc. also, if she wanted jeffrey to develop a stronger relationship with his dad, half- brother and step mom then that is where they are ... Tho I'm not sure she is focused on that.

She only moved to NYC because of her lucrative and steady job offer on The View. And she was fortunate to get the temp gig in the play now that she's no longer a co-host.

There may be some advantage for her to be working out the divorce by claiming to be living on the east coast, but when that whole issue plays itself out then she will move herself and jeffrey back out to california.

On a different topic, she has Uncharacteristically shown restraint recently in not posting about Jeffrey, dogs, etc. on her twitter account. Her managers or lawyers might have said to give it a rest or she is busy preparing for her role in the play and jeffrey is getting lots of quality time with his nanny. Wouldn't he be back in school,by now in New York so he needs to be have the daily structure of school, homework, etc. so sherrie spending lots of time and nights in the city and not flitting in and out of their New Jersey home may be a good thing for him.

Edited by CathInAZ

However much screen time Sherri actually has in the movie, it is always a good thing for an actor to be involved with a high profile movie that everyone is praising and is geared up for critical acclaim.  This is what I mean her reputation and resume is strong enough for her to get in the door and be hired by people doing quality projects. Hopefully she continues down this track.

I think she is invited to those type of shows because of who she is friends with more than her talent... that is why the parts are usually quite small

• Love 1

I think she is invited to those type of shows because of who she is friends with more than her talent... that is why the parts are usually quite small

Maybe now, but her stints on Friends, Everybody Loves Raymond, The Jamie Foxx Show, Suddenly Susan, Less Than Perfect,  she earned all those being a working actress.  

Most actors get jobs based on someone they know.  I'm an actor in LA, I've been on both ends. Getting shut out of auditions because I'm not high profile enough or the other end, doing a project because I know a producer/writer/director who got me an audition or the job.  

• Love 4

Sherri was asked what the first Broadway show  she ever saw was. She said:

“It wasn't Broadway in New York, but in Chicago, I saw Stephanie Mills in The Wiz, and I saw a woman that looked like me; she had the same kind of hair as I had and the same kind of nose I had. And I remember her singing 'Home.' When I saw her sing, I just kept thinking, ‘I want to do that!’ And that's what’s so significant about Keke being the first African American to play Cinderella—as I got chills watching Stephanie Mills, I think little chocolate boys and girls watching Keke will say, ‘Mommy, I want to do that. I can do that.’”

Edited by ginger90
  • Love 1

... I think little chocolate boys and girls watching ...

The only black person I've ever heard use the term "chocolate" when referring to other black people is Ray Nagin (formerly Mayor of New Orleans, currently an inmate at the Federal Correctional Institute in Texarkana, Texas).  Maybe I'm just surrounded by classier people.

• Love 3

Well, Brandy played the role on TV years ago! (Whoopi was the Prince's mother), so once again rampant ignorance, Sherri.

To be fair... they are advertising it as the first African American playing Cinderella..... I saw her being interviewed on MSNBC and they said it on there too

• Love 1

The only black person I've ever heard use the term "chocolate" when referring to other black people is Ray Nagin (formerly Mayor of New Orleans, currently an inmate at the Federal Correctional Institute in Texarkana, Texas).  Maybe I'm just surrounded by classier people.

I'm near NO so he's been in the news a lot again lately because of him finally heading to prison so the "chocolate" remark made me think of him too.

IIRC Sherri has been using the "chocolate" term a lot....remember when she wanted Chocolate Thunder at her batchelorette (sp) party? But, of course, after Katrina.

I had no idea until tonight that Cinderella was closing for good on Broadway after almost a 2 year run after Nene takes over for Sherri.

I lived in Washington, DC for quite a while. Lots of people called it "Chocolate City" without thinking twice about saying that. It's almost like a term of endearment when it's said.

Edited by maryis1
  • Love 4

Today at preschool a little boy stated "I'm chocolate" so it might be more common than you think. But Sherri has used the line about a little child being inspired by seeing "someone who looks like me" before -at Disney, when she met the first black Princess. I wonder when she will give it a rest?

• Love 2

To be fair... they are advertising it as the first African American playing Cinderella..... I saw her being interviewed on MSNBC and they said it on there too

They're wrong as well. Wouldn't be the first time.

She was on the View with Whoopi for how many years? She never saw fit to educate herself on WG's body of work? Ignorant idiot is the only description.

Edited by SFoster21

I lived in Washington, DC for quite a while. Lots of people called it "Chocolate City" without thinking twice about saying that. It's almost like a term of endearment when it's said.

"Chocolate City" is a great song from the 70's by Parliament Funkadelic. One nation under a groove!

• Love 4

The articles I noticed have been mentioning it as the first African American on Broadway to play the role.  Keke Palmer idolizes Brandy so I'm sure her movie version hasn't been forgotten.  In fact a few articles I have read have mentioned Brandy's version.

• Love 1

Cinderella will be closing on Broadway, but the traveling/road show version will continue on and there might even be more than one traveling company for this play. It's scheduled to be here in Arizona in March 2015. No idea who the actors will be.

Edited by CathInAZ