Type keyword(s) to search

S11.E02: Prodigal Son

• Start Topic

First on the Bait.   Captain Andy and Josh were playing "Captain or Overboard"   Name a famous person and decide if you want the person to Captain your boat or throw them overboard.   Meryl Streep was a captain.   Then Andy said "Elliott Neese."   Josh's answer?   OVERBOARD.    hehehehehehehe

Then, Josh goes fishing.   Except instead of taking time to set their own strings and take the chance, they decide to go with someone else's leftovers.    All bad crab.  That'sll teach you to do your own work Josh.

Other than that, just hauling crab.   Poor Edgar.  the move to the Captain's chair was supposed to prolong his career.   But he is headed the way of Junior.

• Love 2

I enjoyed The Bait, especially the meteorologist and Wild Bill's wild hair - hilarious.

It was really nice to see Keith and Jonathan working so successfully together.  I mean, Roadrunner and Coyote.  :-)

I'm ever so glad not to see or hear Elliot Neese (except for the OVERBOARD comment - that was great).

So Josh is sick and tired of people telling him how to run his boat?  He's just going to do it his way?  Alrighty then.  How's that hauling other people's gear working out for you, Joshie?  I do feel kinda bad for Casey, though.

Not sure if I can stomach the Legend of the Cornelia Marie episode right now - if it's another lame Disco attempt to sell us the legend of Josh Harris.

• Love 2

I for one do not believe for one minute that Phil's house has just sat their empty for almost 5 years with everything in it.   Just disco doing it's usual made up stuff.   I can't believe that Josh and disco actually think people are going to believe a trailer sat like that for almost five years.

So Josh  allowed disco to trash his brother so he could be seen as the "good brother".   Josh never worked hard on the TB, and in fact was thrown off due to his poor attitude and work.  He was making no attempts to learn anything on the CM before Phil died other than play to the camera and party, which he still does.

Edited by NEGirl
  • Love 3

Josh Harris has a foul mouth.   You can say, sure, it's a roughneck sort of job, but the other captains (with the exception of Neese) generally don't talk that way on camera (except when angry).   There was a clip at the beginning of the show, of Harris mugging and saying "To all the naysayers, have a big glass of shut the fuck up."

Are we supposed to like this guy?   Because I really don't.   His every move seems like a half-measure yet he expects full reward and gets pissy when it doesn't pay off.   I never thought anyone could come off looking worse than Neese in this show, but Harris has topped him in that regard.   Say what you will about Neese, but he doesn't stand around on his ship waiting for other people to show him what to do, or to solve his vessel's emergencies for him.   Once or twice I've seen Neese improvise effective repairs on the fly.  Harris seems lost and uncertain outside the glow of the camera lights.

In fact, his "to all the naysayers" comment suggests to me that he probably spends too much time reading the public's opinions of him.   Once again, the only other captain who has exhibited an awareness or concern for what's being said on social media is Neese.   Both of them would be better served by concentrating on their ships.

I felt bad for the guy who lost his sleeping bag to a prank.    It wasn't very funny.  I think he said it himself: "Why would somebody do something like that?"

Edited by millennium
  • Love 3

The Bait:

- I was slightly irritated that Wild Bill didn't bother to change his lady sweater so we could pretend it was filmed on a different day, but then I realized there would probably be no Elliott so I let Bill have his wardrobe choice.

- Elliott = Overboard. I think if the people at Discovery liked Elliott, that would have been edited out.

The Show:

- With almost everything Josh Harris said, I felt like I was quoting Mean Girls. (Trying to get the CM up and running "Stop trying to make Fetch happen;" getting crab from someone else's pots "You don't even go here!")

- Watch Jon and Keith work together and work together well made me happy.

- The rest was kind of boring.

The Legend of the Cornelia Marie:

- Haven't watched yet, but did watch the intro of Josh talking and NO WAY did he write that himself.

• Love 3

I don't have an issue with Josh per say, he could be a nice guy.  I'm tired of Discovery trying to make Josh happen.  Then again maybe  I'm a hypocrite, because I'm watching him on TV, which means I'm giving him what he wants.  As long as people watch him, and the show gets high ratings, the more Discovery is going to trot him out.

I've been reading Dr. Phil's "Life Code" book and it's quite interesting.  It is a different world today.  Years ago people didn't think highly of folks who went out of their way to attract attention.  These days it seems like the ones who make it in this world are the ones who attract attention.  Sad but true.  

I wonder though what Josh is going to do when the cameras are gone.  Because eventually Discovery is going to move on.

• Love 5

I don't really care about the pranks too much. You say the sleeping bag prank wasn't funny, well I wouldn't want to get eggs thrown at me or my boat moved or any of the pranks they really do, either.

Edgar probably should have told Sig he had major back problems before the season started. i get that he didn't want to disappoint and he was probably hoping he could tough it out, but it was especially unwise to spring it on Sig when it's almost time to go catch bairidi (I don't know how to spell it).

So Sig and Keith are done with red. With no Elliot or Bill this week, I imagine we'll get a lot of them next week.

I don't care for Josh at all anymore. I care more for Cpt. Casey, who seems like a nice guy. The whole bringing in other's pots didn't bother me too much. They're 10 days behind, so I see it as a calculated move, and Casey was for it. As long ad they aren't doing it all the time. I'm more upset that Josh just sits around and doesn't do anything.

At least Elliot appears to be a good engineer and somewhat capable when he's not a mess. It shows in the crab count that he can catch some crab at least.

It feels weird kinda defending? him. with all that I've seen of him, I can see how he managed to get to the captain's seat, it's just that he needs to sever his personal life from his business life (that sounds rather cut throat, but it's true.

Now I feel icky, but I think Elliot's got more talent for fishing than Josh does, just like how Jake Harris probably would have been better suited for the fishing life than josh (wasn't it a common consensus that most people thought that Jake was or would be the better fisherman?).

I watched the Cornelia Marie special and still don't like how they keep pushing Josh and carrying on the Phil Harris legacy. It's been 5 years since Phil died, and I wish Disco would stop pushing it so hard (I probably sound cold hearted, but I can't help it).

• Love 7

I LOLed at the scene in "The Bait" when they asked CAPTAIN Casey what Josh brought to the co-captain relationship.  "Did you learn anything from him?" 

Crickets.  Pins dropping.  And then laughter from everyone.

I think that speaks as loudly as Elliot Neese being thrown "Overboard" by Josh (who is he to judge, BTW) and Sig.  It's pretty easy to read Disco's mind based on the editing.

• Love 4

Now I feel icky, but I think Elliot's got more talent for fishing than Josh does, just like how Jake Harris probably would have been better suited for the fishing life than josh (wasn't it a common consensus that most people thought that Jake was or would be the better fisherman?).

I watched the Cornelia Marie special and still don't like how they keep pushing Josh and carrying on the Phil Harris legacy. It's been 5 years since Phil died, and I wish Disco would stop pushing it so hard (I probably sound cold hearted, but I can't help it).

I think Phil even said that Jake was more of a fisherman than Josh.  As for Discovery pushing Josh and Phil, it's simple.  The show got their best ratings the season Phil died.  Of course they're going to keep pushing it because it works, until it doesn't.  

I think Elliot's probably a good captain, he's a good engineer, he just needs to stay sober and put a stopper on his personal life.  

• Love 4

Hoodlumsheep - You are not being cold at all. You are just stating the facts. Josh has brought nothing to the CM other than a story for disco. It is quite clear what the other captains think of his "captain skills".  If it were not for Casey, Josh would be screwed because he does not know how to do anything.

I would guess that it was Casey and not Josh who got that big tendering contract for the salmon. Casey's father is some big wig with Trident Seafood.

I also felt bad for the deckhand who lost his sleepting bag. I did not think it was funny.

I don't think Josh can get one sentence out without the F bumb in it at least two or three times. At times it seemed every other word out of his mouth was F_ _ _  this, that, them etc. And throwing Elliott over - Please !  I  do not care for Elliott but at least he knows how to fix an engine and run a boat-more than can be said for Josh.

As for the CM special, nice of Josh to throw Jake under the bus on tv for the world to see, Some dirty laundry should not be shown on tv.  "I'll  always protect my brother" - yeah right. 

Josh has shown nothing to indicate he is willing to put the time and effort in to become a captain. When this is over, lets see where Josh will be then.

Edited by NEGirl
  • Love 3
nice of Josh to throw Jake under the bus on tv for the world to see, Some dirty laundry should not be shown on tv.  "I'll  always protect my brother" - yeah right.

I don't get this comment.  Jake was on the show, we saw he was an addict, it's not a secret.  What dirty laundry?  BTW, if you don't want your dirty laundry shown on TV, don't go on a reality show.

• Love 1

Jake has not been on the show for 3 years. The clips shown were old from when he was on the show. He was not interviewed for the special. Everyone knows his past. Does it have to be hashed over and over. It's not like Josh had put the time in to learn eveything he needs to know. He is the biggest partyer going. All his FB page had before he deleted them in Jan. was pictures of him drinking and partying. 

Edited by NEGirl
  • Love 3

looks like Scotty H is working on another boat.   

I missed part of the show again.    why did the CM  not have its own gear?

I watched the first minute of the CM special.    was Josh talking about himself in the 3rd person at the beginning?   after he said "legacy", I figured it would be a flashback show.  so I bailed on it a few scenes later.

was any of it about how to get a boat fixed up to go fishing or tendering or whatever?   there was a show about the overhaul of another boat a couple seasons ago.  that was interesting.

• Love 2

Jake has not been on the show for 3 years. The clips shown were old from when he was on the show. He was not interviewed for the special. Everyone knows his past. Does it have to be hashed over and over. It's not like Josh had put the time in to learn eveything he needs to know. He is the biggest partyer going. All his FB page had before he deleted them in Jan. was pictures of him drinking and partying. 

I get what you're saying but there's a difference between partying and being an addict.  I agree that it might not have been right to bring Jake up.  But if Jake wasn't staying sober, should Josh not have said anything?  

Jake has been clean since last September. He completed rehab and sober living. They could have added that in.  Dicso wants to make Josh look like he is a second Phil. They only way he has taken after him is his never ending partying and drinking. Certainly not in his desire to really stay on the boat to learn anything.  As soon as that tendering was done and the filming completed,  he was off the boat and back to his partying, which was posted all over his FB page. 

Edited by NEGirl
  • Love 1

Jake has been clean since last September. he completed rehab and sober living. They could have added that in.  Dicso wants to make Josh looke like he is a second Phil. They only way he has taken after him is his never ending partying and drinking. Certainly not in his desire to really stay on the boat to learn anything.  As soon as that tendering was done and the filming completed,  he was off the boat and back to his partying, which was posted all over his FB page. 

You are right, they should have added that in.  Perhaps Jake realizes that being on TV isn't good for his sobriety and is staying away.  

The captains seem to be much more honest and open about Josh's limited skills this season. I wonder what accounts for the change. They used to imply that he could captain the CM.

That was probably wishful thinking on their parts.  I think the captains realize that Josh hasn't worked for it, in fact he really hasn't done anything from what I can see, Casey is doing everything while Josh is sitting around talking to the camera.  And that is Josh's problem, he wants to be on TV, he likes being on TV.  The other captains, I think, might like being on TV as well, but I don't think they're as into it as Josh. If this show wasn't on TV, Josh would probably just own the boat and let Casey be the captain.

Edited by Neurochick
  • Love 1

If this show wasn't on TV, Josh would probably just own the boat and let Casey be the captain.

Or Josh wouldn't have anything to do with any boats at all. Doesn't he have a kid or something? He might hang out with a kid without the show, but maybe not. I just think without the show, Josh would have nothing to do with Alaska or any other crabbing/fishing activities. Maybe.

• Love 1

I for one do not believe for one minute that Phil's house has just sat their empty for almost 5 years with everything in it.

That bugged the shit out of me. If Josh and Jake really loved their father and all he represented, why would they leave his CM jacket, family/fishing photos, personal items, etc. in a TRAILER where anyone could break in and steal it? Why would they leave motorcycles and such in a wall tent for anyone to take? It doesn't make any sense. That place looked like Phil had just walked out to buy a six pack and would be right back. Either those guys have no respect for their father and his possessions or else someone else is living there and it was all a set up.

It also pissed me off to hear Josh say he hired Casey to run the boat, then Mike Rowe VOed that Casey is part-owner of the CM. I'm glad the other captains are giving Casey the credit he deserves in keeping that boat going. I was wondering what was going on with no pots on deck, then Casey said they were using the other boats set. I guess the other boat wasn't going to fish the bairdi?

Are we taking bets on the color of Wild Bill's next shirt? Pink? Lavender? 

• Love 4

Phil's  jacket  just happened to be hanging in a closet after 5 years. Those speakers and mini bikes left under a shity little tarp,  please - that place looked staged.  Anyone could have broke into it. Also, if Josh truly cared, why was the trailer, and all  the property left to fall into an uncared for mess?  "I'll never get rid of this place". Well, Josh may never get rid of it but it is obvious he  has not taken care of it or hired someone to take care of it.

The book on Phil gave some info about Josh and Jake being beaten and abused by their step-mother, and her drug and alcohol problems.  When reading the book and listening to Josh last night, it appears the  physical abuse went on  for a period of time. Like Josh said, they told him what was happending. He was an absent parent who was gone 11 months of the year, and drunk and high when home.  He left his kids in the care of a woman who was an abusive  alcoholic and a drug addict. Like Josh said, he did not know how to be a father. However, that is no excuse to leave your kids with someone who was abusing them. Especially poor Jake who Josh said got the worst of it, being continuelly beat, punched, and  kicked down stairs.  I'm sorry, but  Phil was a poor excuse for a father. Small wonder he felt so guilty, and no surprise for the way Josh and Jake turned out.  They are the product of the environment they were raised.

I think it was quite telling  on  "The Bait"   when the captains asked Casey what Josh brought to the co-captain relationship and then there was dead silence.

How about pink for Wild Bill's next shirt.

Edited by NEGirl
  • Love 2

I don't have an issue with Josh per say, he could be a nice guy.  I'm tired of Discovery trying to make Josh happen.  Then again maybe  I'm a hypocrite, because I'm watching him on TV, which means I'm giving him what he wants.  As long as people watch him, and the show gets high ratings, the more Discovery is going to trot him out.

I was on a trip with a friend the week the preseason special was on.  My friend was all excited about Josh "getting the Cornelia Marie" and going out crabbing.  She really didn't want to hear anything about some of the not so great stuff he's been doing that we've discussed on the boards.  In other words, she's bought right into the whole Disco package about Josh and his "legacy."  Wouldn't hear a word against him because he's so noble, etc.  Yeah, had to change the topic of conversation quick. 

• Love 1

Phil's  jacket  just happened to be hanging in a closet after 5 years. Those speakers and mini bikes left under a shity little tarp,  please - that place looked staged.  Anyone could have broke into it. Also, if Josh truly cared, why was the trailer, and all  the property left to fall into an uncared for mess?  "I'll never get rid of this place". Well, Josh may never get rid of it but it is obvious he  has not taken care of it or hired someone to take care of it.

The book on Phil gave some info about Josh and Jake being beaten and abused by their step-mother, and her drug and alcohol problems.  When reading the book and listening to Josh last night, it appears the  physical abuse went on  for a period of time. Like Josh said, they told him what was happending. He was an absent parent who was gone 11 months of the year, and drunk and high when home.  He left his kids in the care of a woman who was an abusive  alcoholic and a drug addict. Like Josh said, he did not know how to be a father. However, that is no excuse to leave your kids with someone who was abusing them. Especially poor Jake who Josh said got the worst of it, being continuelly beat, punched, and  kicked down stairs.  I'm sorry, but  Phil was a poor excuse for a father. Small wonder he felt so guilty, and no surprise for the way Josh and Jake turned out.  They are the product of the environment they were raised.

I think it was quite telling  on  "The Bait"   when the captains asked Casey what Josh brought to the co-captain relationship and then there was dead silence.

How about pink for Wild Bill's next shirt.

I never read any backstory on Phil Harris.  I never found him to be as fascinating as the rest of the viewing public, apparently.   But after reading the damning portrait above, I'd like to know where Discovery gets off trying to market him as a modern folk hero.

• Love 2

According to the book, Phil got custody of the kids after a nasty divorce. Jake was around five and Josh was around eight. The book never got what went into how Phil got custody. They did not see their mother for over 15 years.

• Love 1

Linderhill-If you look at the DC and CM sites, it's about 50/50 in the love Josh vs thinking he is a wanna be captain. You could never convince those who think he is the greatest thing to hit the earth anything different. They also think Phil was father of the year. Disco will continue to use Josh until they no longer have a need for him or the show ends. Those other captains all fished before the show and in all likelyhood will be fishing after the show ends. Lets see where Josh will be.

Edited by NEGirl
  • Love 2

Josh only cemented for me on last nights show that he is only looking out for Josh. While Casey was troubleshooting and trying to fix the boats issues, all Josh did was sit in the wheelhouse and talk to the camera. He didn't even try to see what was wrong or learn how to fix it. As a small business owner, you have to know every part of your business to be successful. Dude get off your ass and learn the business you claim to love or sell your share and move on.

Super happy not to deal with Elliott's druggie self last night. He is soooo disrespectful towards his father who is doing everything he can to help his son. I can only imagine how he treats his crew and what kind of a boss he is. He does however, seem to know his boat and how to fix things.

• Love 7

all Josh did was sit in the wheelhouse and talk to the camera.

All he did was complain about how he was going to go bankrupt. Never once did he have faith in Casey to fix the problem. I know Casey told him to drive the boat, so maybe that is why he wasn't down below learning how to fix the thing, but at least he could have been a little more positive about Casey's abilities on camera.

Was Scotty down there helping with the repair? I don't recall seeing him. He's an engineer. Either put him at the wheel to drive and teach Josh how to repair HIS BOAT or else get their money out of Scotty as an engineer.

Edited by Galloway Cave
  • Love 3

Why was this episode called "Prodigal Son" anyway?   Is that a reference to Josh?  Based on earlier comments about the partying photos on his Facebook page, perhaps a better title would be "Profligate Son."

• Love 5

I always knew Phil was not father of the year but I didn't know the kids had it that bad. That is horrible and explains a lot.

Been pretty nuetral about Josh but this season I cannot stand him. What is his purpose/job on the CM other than to be on TV?

• Love 3

I've decided to stop being angry at Josh and just let his conceit amuse me.  Better for my blood pressure.

I feel bad for Casey, but then I think he may have had the foresight to make a sweet deal for himself.  The show will end, and if he's any kind of businessman, he probably has dibs on buying Josh out.  Possibly at bargain basement prices, because as long as Josh sees some zeros, he'll be happy (once his dreams of selling it for big bucks don't pan out).  The CM was always run on a shoestring budget and was in poor repair.  Obviously that has not changed.  Nobody's going to want to buy a 25% share in it -- at least not at prices in Josh's favor.

So maybe Casey will end up with a boat that Trident money can fix up.

I missed part of the show again.    why did the CM  not have its own gear?

I got the impression they worked the deal out with the ?Billikin? whereby the CM would haul the B's pots.  This saved the CM from having to detour to pick up their own pots, and if the B had reached their own quota already, saved them the fuel and time of going out to pick up their pots and dump them.  Everybody wins.  Except if the crab stinks.

• Love 4
I've decided to stop being angry at Josh and just let his conceit amuse me.  Better for my blood pressure.

I agree, I don't really like Josh but the blood pressure rising hate of him makes me laugh, it amuses me; it's not like he did anything to me personally.  

• Love 1
One of the best things about last night's episode is there was no Elliott

I remember last season when Elliot was talking about his children and how they meant the world to him.  He would tearfully cry to the camera in a very artful manner.  Then we saw him hiding from the guy who was trying to serve him papers for back child support.

Please Disco, throw Elliot overboard along with Josh.

Edited by qtpye
  • Love 1

Nice to see some familiar posters.  It seems that so much of discussion here has focused on Josh but the thing that really irked me with the episode was Sig and his reaction to Edgar's neck problems.  I used to like Sig a lot but the last few seasons I really can't stand him.  Mostly for the way he deals with Edgar, who I admit is my favorite on the show.  Edgar obviously is hurting.  Hurting bad.  He's in a no win situation with Sig.  If he told Sig that he couldn't do the king crab season, Sig would tell him that he needs to suck it up and he's not dedicated enough to the 'boat'.  So he goes out there, can't do it, and then Sig throws his guilt trip that Edgar should have said something before.  Like someone posted above, Edgar's been out on deck for over twenty years.  I'd like to see Sig try and do that.  I guess this hits home for me because on the Legend of the Northwestern, Sig put the same guilt trip on Edgar when he got a hernia during salmon fishing. 

And yes, I realize that captaining the boat is tough.  And finding the crab is tough.  And handling the business side of the boat is tough.  But....being on deck is tough.  Knowing that you're never going to be the 'heir' captain apparent is tough.  No matter how long Edgar has been clean, Sig is never going to let Edgar forget it.  And for that, he's wrong.  Sig plays the the 'martyr' for all it's worth and then he comes back that Edgar needs to have his neck checked out.  He did the same thing when Edgar had the hernia. 

• Love 1

But then Sig did rethink it and said Edgar needed to go get checked like yesterday. Sig does care, but I think he has that hard line to balance between big brother and boss. I think he forgets that his brother has been busting his ass on deck for 20 years, he's gotten too comfortable with Edgar being a solid guy and says stuff without really thinking. Then he thinks and says yeah he needs to get checked. 

Andy has been looking for reasons to let Scotty go since Scotty opted to be involved in his kid's life and not dedicate his life to the TB. Johnathan seems to get it, regret not having spent as much time with him etc, but Andy just seems to think that there should be no work/life balance at all. Where I think Johnathan has redeemed himself since the Douche Bandit days, Andy still shows that he is the king douche.

Josh continues to annoy. Casey has grown on me though. Josh needs to stay home and be "owner" but that won't happen until the DC cameras go dark. I love that DC acknowledged that Casey is a partial owner as well. Watching the bait and the special, seems Josh may have burnt some bridges there. Hate how he threw his brother under the bus on the special. Jake was on the boat as a greenhorn before the DC cameras came aboard the CM. Josh came the year AFTER the cameras came. Jake seemed to actually have the passion and drive to be a fisherman, but Josh? He wants the fame. That's it. He seems completely disinterested in the boat unless there's a camera there. Supposedly the CM is getting completely overhauled with new engines and new cabin/quarters etc so that tells me whoever owns the rest has some money to be able to invest in keeping the CM running for years to come. I wonder who the other half of the boat is owned by.. lots of mentions of Trident this year....

Elliot free episodes are my favorite, but hubby asked me when we were watching: Would you rather Josh or Elliott as your captain. And, for all of Elliot's douchebaggery and drug issues, I'd still put more faith in him captaining a ship than Josh.

• Love 3

Edgar was wrong in not disclosing his pain up front. His timing in telling Sig was the absolute worst for Sig and the trip and I think Edgar deep down knew that. Even though it was the pain that finally made Edgar speak up, he knew that this was coming and when. His actions tell. Apparently Sig isn't the only brother with brother/workplace issues.

• Love 1

I think Edgar can not win when it comes to Sig. Sig forgets about how hard it is to work on deck for 25 years and the damage it does to a person's body.  Yes it is hard being a captain, but it has not taken the same physical toll on him that working on the deck did to Edgar.  No matter how hard Edgar works, Sig will never trust or forgive him. Those wounds and resentment run deep. They were warranted at one time but Sig needs to get over it and move on. And, I like Sig but jez......

Edited by NEGirl
  • Love 2

At least Sig came around at the end (though he's still mad); even Edgar says he took it better than he thought. And I think Sig took it better than expected as well. I think he was more angry at Edgar for waiting so long to say something. Sig would have taken it even better if Edgar had told him at a more appropriate time, like before the season.

And yeah, Sig needs to get over it, but the damage in their relationship is forever there I think.

A lot of the guys are starting to get up there in years and wear and tear. They'll all be dropping like flies soon.

• Love 1

I feel for Edgar, but I'll stick up for Sig here.  Plans had been made, and contracts signed.  Even before they knew about the huge bairdi quota, the deal was that Edgar would repeat that fishery.  And Sig was going home.  They find out about the big quota, Sig is psyched because it's more money for the company AND precisely the kind of opportunity Edgar can take advantage of to gain experience/bring in the crab/cash.  Instead of costing money at the dock, the boat will be making money.  This opening up and sharing the chair thing is starting to look really good to him.

And then however many days into the trip, Edgar announces he's hurt and suddenly Sig is going to have to stick around an extra month and fish bairdi.  

I'm not sure whether they have their own quota for bairdi or it's a derby style thing until the overall quota is made, but presumably the boats have deals with the processors, and there are contracts signed, so they can't just say "nevermind, the NW won't bother this year." 

It's totally a communication thing.  Edgar's scared of Sig's wrath, so he avoids dealing with the sort of thing he needs to be up front about.  And when he does that, it reinforces the distrust Sig has been slowly letting go of.  Sure, you can't blame the guy for crippling injury - Sig knows damn well Edgar works through horrific pain.  But going into the season based on wishful thinking and purposely hiding the prospect that he can't finish it out... I think that's part of the whole "you should have told me you had a warrant/court date/etc."  Probably a common thing in fishing, so they're hardlined about not coming out if there's any possibility you can't handle it.

• Love 5

One of the core aphorisms in addiction recovery is "You're as sick as your secrets."  Edgar was risking a lot more than Sig's wrath.

I hate it for Edgar that just as he is making real headway in the wheelhouse, his body wouldn't let him.  However, given how he had let his family (and himself) down before, it was and remains crucial that he be rigorously honest (another recovery phrase) in his dealings with others.  Far more than crab are at stake here.

One of the really shady things about DC is the explanations regarding quota deals.  As far as I recall, Josh has very little, Casey has some more.  Just how much were they supposed to net using the Billikin gear?  I wonder if the CM was supposed to make dime one in profit with the reds.  I am also trying to figure out how Casey managed to buy 25% of the CM without help from his dad, who works for Trident foods.  The crazy part is that the CM did not, and is not scheduled, to tender for Trident.  The actual holder of the note that allowed for the sale of the CM is a secret.  If not Trident, who?  Some speculate that it may be a Russian firm.

Just how long was the Northwestern out for reds?  No way it was the same 6 days as the Wizard.  They took in more than double the harvest, yet the Wizard was yielding 1/3 more per pot.  I severely doubt that the NW's holds can handle 230K.  They must have made one off-load.  If they did, it is even worse that Edgar remained silent.   Anyway, edit monkeys were most certainly at work.

One thing I really liked was the basic information as to the barnacled crabs.  

• Love 1

Lonesome Rhodes-We all know disco NEVER give a full truthful verson of anything-just what they want us to see. I think they showed the NW making at least one off load but I will have to watch again when it's shown. The NW has much more quota for kings that they own. Keith has always leased most of his King Crab quota and the owner apparently went with the higher price offered by another boat.

In an interview I read, Casey stated he has worked since he was a kid crab fishing. He appears to be a smart guy and has probably saved most of his money, unlike Phil and Josh who pissed their's away.

He should have had no problem coming up with the money to buy his 25% share. He is probably already a millionier based on the money they make every year. No one knows who backed Josh to buy the CM. Apparently that story about the Russian backer is not true.

• Love 1