Type keyword(s) to search

MLB Thread

smittykins
  • Start Topic

Congrats to Bryce Harper on getting his 100th home run/1st grand slam today. I was at that game today against the Braves. It was a nice moment  for Bryce and the fans when he hit that homer. :)

Edited by Jx223
  • Love 1

Hi Aim! My first post as I've just been turned on to this site...thank you! And how appropriate-probably my favorite baseball day of the season-everyone will be wearing #42. I can't say anything else good about the Dodgers. And wouldn't you know it, my Giants play the Bums tonight.

• Love 2

I did see it. It's just like the old days.

Eh, I'm not into the even year thing. It would be nice if baseball, or anything for that matter, were that predictable but we know how that goes. Our pitching staff needs work but I'm hoping those kinks will be worked out. We have a homegrown infield that's good but it all remains to be seen.

I'm wearing a 42 t-shirt myself today, 'cept mine says Rivera.

While I don't really care about the Giants one way or the other, and them winning would mean the Yankees obviously don't, I'm still hoping that San Fran does win this year because I would find it hilarious.

• Love 1

Twins and Braves will win. Eventually.

It's like Bizarro World for 1991.

Well, the Braves and Twins were both last place teams in 1990 before going worst-to-first in '91, so clearly we're just gearing up for a rematch of the 1991 WS next season.

Bartolo Colon is pitching in Cleveland tonight. The guys at SNY dug up footage of him as a rookie with the Indians, as well as his rookie card. Back then, he weighed 185 pounds. Hard to imagine, I know.

Yup RBI is correct, RBIs is incorrect.

It's Runs Batted In, not Run Batted Ins

Also it sounds right. "He drives it hard into the gap! The runner at 3rd will score, the runner at 2nd will score, it's a 2 RBI double!"

• Love 1

The Giants aren't going to be able to repeat in an even year if they can't beat the Dodgers.

Eh, they are still leading the season series. I'm more worried they aren't going to be able to beat the Diamondbacks or Rockies, like they couldn't last season.

I'm watching the Jackie Robinson special on PBS and it infuriates me and makes me so sad. They also use the n-word a lot which hurts ME, a suburban white girl. I cannot even pretend to put myself in Jackie and Rachel's shoes. It's disheartening, to hear people speak to other people in that way and treat people like they aren't people. I don't understand it at all.

One positive thing is that Ebbets Field looked like a nice little gem of a park.

The Yankees' newest ad campaign makes even my Yankees disliking self laugh.

Chase Headley

Andrew Miller (and a couple of Yankee beat reporters)

And my favorite, Didi Gregorius and Starlin Castro

He is the equivalent of human garbage. Living proof that someone having cancer does not automatically make them a sympathetic person.

If I were a stronger-willed person I would boycott ESPN until he is gone.

• Love 10

xaxat, DiDi is just probably my favorite NYY right now. I tweeted him when he first came to NY to tell him to be himself and not try to be like Jeter because we all just want him to succeed. He answered very quickly and nicely. He and Starlin are really gelling.

Ms Blue Jay, Starlin is Dominican and as I myself am half Dominican I can tell you that they tend to give their kids the oddest names. And Starlin is one of the least unusual sounding ones. And that's only because it's easy to pronounce. Many are hard to spell let alone read. My dad's reaction to these names is always "sera Dominicano? or
"Do you think he's Dominican?"

yeah, I like his name,too. 

xaxat, DiDi is just probably my favorite NYY right now. I tweeted him when he first came to NY to tell him to be himself and not try to be like Jeter because we all just want him to succeed. He answered very quickly and nicely. He and Starlin are really gelling.

Ms Blue Jay, Starlin is Dominican and as I myself am half Dominican I can tell you that they tend to give their kids the oddest names. And Starlin is one of the least unusual sounding ones. And that's only because it's easy to pronounce. Many are hard to spell let alone read. My dad's reaction to these names is always "sera Dominicano? or

• Love 1

I'm proud that in 2013, the Toronto Blue Jays had the most players from the Dominican Republic at the time, I think we had 6 or 7 players!  We have totally different ownership now, and a lot of us in Toronto are worried about what changes that might bring to the makeup of the team.

There's also Starling Marte of the Pirates, who I believe is Dominican as well.

smittykins, I looked up both Marte and Castro on wiki and thought that if they were born in the same town that perhaps their moms were friends and Castro's mom liked Marte's name so much she just altered it so as not to confuse. But no, they were from different parts of the country so there goes that theory. (shrug) It's an absurd idea but I thought it worth the effort.

Ms Blue Jay, I'm 57 so I recall back in the 60's/70's that there were a handful of Dominicans in the league like the 3 Alou brothers and Rico Carty and then there was the 80's where there was George Bell, Tony Fernandez, Alfredo Griffin, Mariano Duncan, Julio Franco and others. But I have never seen it like this and I am sure it is due to the ubiquitous presence of MLB baseball academies.

It's great to see because it is a legitimate shot at getting their families out of poverty which has always been rampant.  

Edited by prican58
  • Love 2

Milt Pappas has died.  :(

Sad news. He was a good pitcher but if I recall he was practically a pheenom when he came up but didn't really reach those heights. But he had a good career as a pretty good pitcher. Didn't his wife go missing many years ago? Was she ever found?

• Love 1

Ms Blue Jay, I'm 57 so I recall back in the 60's/70's that there were a handful of Dominicans in the league like the 3 Alou brothers and Rico Carty and then there was the 80's where there was George Bell, Tony Fernandez, Alfredo Griffin, Mariano Duncan, Julio Franco and others. But I have never seen it like this and I am sure it is due to the ubiquitous presence of MLB baseball academies.

It's great to see because it is a legitimate shot at getting their families out of poverty which has always been rampant.  

It's also great that in Toronto (and our entire country cheers on the team!) the Dominican players are 2 of the known superstars -- Jose Bautista and Edwin Encarnacion.  Now, if these 2 leave my team I would be utterly devastated, which might very well happen in 2017.  I don't even know how I would enjoy baseball at that point.  

Sad news. He was a good pitcher but if I recall he was practically a pheenom when he came up but didn't really reach those heights. But he had a good career as a pretty good pitcher. Didn't his wife go missing many years ago? Was she ever found?

Per what I heard on High Heat on MLB Network, she wasn't found until five years later after a car crashed into a lake.

Things you learn while watching a Marlins broadcast do a Cuba special is that Eric Hosmer of the Royals is part Cuban.

According to Wikipedia, her body was found inside her car several years later, she had apparently driven into a pond or something and drowned.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milt_Pappas#Wife.27s_disappearance

I'm glad that hateful ass Schilling finally got dumped as I never understood why he continued to get second chances.  Then again his suspension last August did bring us the wonderful Jessica Mendoza so I suppose I should thank him for that.

• Love 6