Type keyword(s) to search

MLB Thread

smittykins
  • Start Topic

Who in the hell thought it was a good idea for the Tigers and Yankees to play Sunday's game at night; an 8:10 start time, no less. Assuming the game is even played, it is going to be damn cold. And a school and work night. No wonder the Tigers are having a BOGO sale on box seats for that game.

Last night was my first chance to see the Braves play in this young season and they were bad, really bad, Little League pathetic bad.  No wonder they're winless so far.  I switched over to the Frozen Four college hockey championship game and enjoyed it much more.

• Love 2

Last night was my first chance to see the Braves play in this young season and they were bad, really bad, Little League pathetic bad.

Fox Sports is running ads for their games next week. It's "Toronto, led by MVP Josh Donaldson! vs David Ortiz! and the Red Sox! Followed by Giancarlo Stanton! leading the Marlins against. . . the Braves. . . '

• Love 2

Heh. The Braves can't be that bad. Not like the locals are urging them to move back to Milwaukee, right?

Watching Phillies/Mets. Apparently, the Mets will be wearing 1986 throwback jerseys on Sunday home games. I think they included the 25th anniversary patch, which is a nice touch.

Apparently Pablo Sandoval broke his belt?  That might be somebody's suggestion that he, I dunno, lose weight?

Like John Kruk said.  "Lady, I'm not an athlete.  I'm a baseball player."

It's not a sport, it's a game and a pastime.

Wait a minute - I'm married to a stagehand and I get squadoosh from him, seat-wise!  Good thing I have friends in the biz... :-)

Huh.  Well they didn't stay together in the long run.  Maybe he was tired of doing favors for her:)

Edited by ratgirlagogo
  • Love 1

Nothing is going on in Detroit, weather wise, that couldn't be predicted - cold, snow, rain, wind, windchill below freezing. Nothing unusual for Michigan in mid-April. Nothing that anyone with an iota of intelligence would be surprised by. Yes, I do think the schedulers and ESPNers are idiots. A day game wouldn't have been so bad, precipitation not withstanding, but an 8:10 p.m. start time? Morons.

• Love 1

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/yankees/yankees-series-finale-tigers-postponed-due-weather-article-1.2595433

Game postponed.

Mets fans, I know it's early but I get the feeling that Noah is going to wind up being The Franchise instead of Harvey. I also think deGrom will be a project if his injuries start to mount. He had a groin issue during spring training and now he's got a lat problem. Zach Wheeler is rehabbing again. Matz, Noah and Harvey may just be the only ones they can count on.

Just sayin'.

Edited by prican58

So Ms Blue Jay - didja catch the clip for the end of the Astros v Brewers game tonight?   I guess this is gonna really turn into A Thing.

Our lineup is very predictable - Bautista is #3 and walks, and Edwin is #4 and very, very often comes up with the bases loaded.  The exact same scenario with these two guys (whom I love) comes up at least once a game.

This time, Bautista purposely slid and then held onto the bag for dear life, which I found hilarious.  Boston screwed up throwing to first somehow, and Edwin was safe at first, and of course Boston tried to challenge Bautista's slide, but this time the umpires ruled it a "good slide"!  Oh dear.  So funny.  A New Class of Sliding 101 has begun....

20160410_154511_resized.jpg

I felt bad for Sandoval.  He was simply swinging at a pitch, and his belt came undone.  He then removed it.  Social media was kind of merciless.  Like his season(s) haven't been going badly enough :(    It was the number one "news item" on my Facebook feed.  Somebody in the stands at the Toronto game brought a belt for him today :( I don't condone that.

I don't know why some people, like my brother, dislike the SkyDome.  I still love it, and we can play all through Toronto "Winter" which has been horrible this year, in that it somehow restarted in late March!  It freaking snowed today!  (No games get cancelled here in Toronto, because they simply keep the dome closed until it's warm.)  Apparently, our stadium isn't as nice as most of the American ones.  Oh well.  I don't know what I haven't experienced!

I am going to the game on Tuesday; we will be playing the Yankees.  They better keep that M-Fing roof closed or I will get pnemonia!

Edited by Ms Blue Jay

Heh. The Braves can't be that bad. Not like the locals are urging them to move back to Milwaukee, right?

Wouldn't surprise me. I swear for being the first week of the season there seemed to be more Cardinal fans in the stands than Brave fans

Edited by tom87

Apparently, our stadium isn't as nice as most of the American ones.  Oh well.  I don't know what I haven't experienced!

Out of all of the stadiums I've been to Skydome is my second favorite, behind AT&T Park in San Francisco.  I think it's great, plus when the dome is open you can't beat that view of the CN Tower looming overhead.

• Love 1
A New Class of Sliding 101 has begun....

Apparently the new rules (as far as reviewing slides and 'neighborhood plays') were put into the latest CBA, so both MLB and MLBPA advocated for them. Which means yeah, the players have to get on board with higher scrutiny since, you know, they signed off on it. (I learned this from the latest Joe Girardi Show, so if I'm wrong here, blame it on him.)

• Love 2

This weekend's Giants/Dodgers series was bananas. How these two teams make early April games feel so important is kinda ridiculous. ALL four games were dramatic, with leads blown and important homers hit. The Giants managed to come back from both an early 4-0 deficit in one game and an even earlier 5-0 deficit. They also won a game where the Dodgers had a no-hitter going into the 8th. Bumgarner homered off of Kershaw AGAIN. Johnny Cueto somehow managed to forget a terrible first inning and go another six strong. There were grand slams, walk-offs, first MLB homers, near no-hitters, blown saves and fun rallies. And now, seven games into the season, ever person in the Giants Opening Day lineup has hit at least one homer, as well as two of their four bench guys. Can't wait to see what these matchups continue to bring all season! 

• Love 2

Speaking of  ballparks Busch III is 10 years old already.   Opening Day in St Louis and  Lou Brock (underrated HOF) throwing out the first pitch. His first public appearance since losing part of his leg to diabetes.

I don't know why some people, like my brother, dislike the SkyDome.  I still love it, and we can play all through Toronto "Winter" which has been horrible this year, in that it somehow restarted in late March!  It freaking snowed today!  (No games get cancelled here in Toronto, because they simply keep the dome closed until it's warm.)  Apparently, our stadium isn't as nice as most of the American ones.  Oh well.  I don't know what I haven't experienced!

Your brother's crazy! I've been to a ton of American Stadiums, and the only ones I've liked more then the Dome are Oriole Park, and Citi Field. And both of those are really only nice on a nice day.

Although I will say I kind of wish we had a permanent outdoor stadium. I really wanted to be outdoors during the playoffs last year.

• Love 1
Apparently, our stadium isn't as nice as most of the American ones.

I've been to Rogers Centre a handful of times. My only complaint is that the outfield seats are oriented straight ahead, so that you're always basically sitting sideways to watch the batter. But it's a good facility, well laid out, easy to find food and bathrooms, not at all claustrophobic in the concourse. (I once stayed in one of the hotel rooms overlooking center field, and I gotta say, that was fun. Room service and watching the game in my jammies!)

• Love 1

(I once stayed in one of the hotel rooms overlooking center field, and I gotta say, that was fun. Room service and watching the game in my jammies!)

*Canadian gasp*  You must be a KING!  That is a dream many of us hold...... 

I love all the nice things said about the SkyDome!  I personally love it, but I know of nothing else.  

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 1

Been there twice, once closed and once opened. It's probably a nicer place when more fans show up. Also, from the CN Tower observation deck, it looks like a jewelry box.

Noah strikes out 12, but the Mets fall to 2-5. For fans more invested than me, I have to ask: is it time to panic?

• Love 1

Been there twice, once closed and once opened. It's probably a nicer place when more fans show up. Also, from the CN Tower observation deck, it looks like a jewelry box.

Noah strikes out 12, but the Mets fall to 2-5. For fans more invested than me, I have to ask: is it time to panic?

Of course it's time to panic.  After all, the first week of the season tells us exactly how the rest of the season will go!!  

That's why I'm totally getting ready for the O's to win the World Series! :-)

• Love 2

Hey look at the bright side, you could be a Braves fan.

That's my mentality anyway, my Jays are similarly limping into the season, 3-5 and at the bottom of the AL East, weren't our teams defending Division Champs?

1983!  Does that seem like yesterday, or Ancient Times to O's fans?

Hope the Sox burst the bubble tonight!

Back when I was 10, so it feels like yesterday but it's ancient times also.  (Can I go back to being 10 again?)

Also, no let the BoSox beat any other team in the East, let my O's have what they have while they have it.

Well, now we know the truth. Adam LaRoche (when he's not running around Myanmar "saving" victims of sex trafficking) wanted his kid in the locker room because it's the kind of place where dudes feel free to slap each other in the nuts. 

No, really. . . and really.

I will never fully understand this story until the day I die!   Seriously!  One of the Sox players talked about how the kid was a leader of the team.  They'll probably win the world series, because why not, but crikey....'rabble RABBLE, RABBLE, ANGRY, he was a leader (said in your best Jerry Jones voice), Rabble....<win a bunch of games>... who'?

Methinks Kenny took a bullet for many by shutting this shit down.

Edited by pennben
  • Love 3

POP! goes the bubble!   7-1 ain't that bad.

Nope not bad at all, all 3 of my teams are or were in the Reds case (they stumbled into the wall called the Cubs) are doing pretty good.

Re:  The Braves, I wonder if the team hotel is where all the visiting teams stay.

The whole Sandoval situation is just fraught with an impending bad ending.  And the Red Sox are calling up Vasquez, which gives them 3 catchers on the 25 man roster. Another bad situation. An AL team with three catchers? I don't even think the NL teams do that. 

Alas Yoko, now the Twins are 0-9, along with the Braves. Those two teams need to play each other for a week to bring balance to the other. If only!

I keep mentally saying "still too early" but then you get Collins on the Mets saying "they had to get a win"  .... on April 13th. Maybe in five more months it'll be "must win."  Baseball fans be crazy, and these coaches/ GMs have to ignore them. 

Twins and Braves will win. Eventually.

Edited by King of Birds

The Mets made the back page of the Daily News thanks to Terry's speech. I can't blame him . ..  while he's safe with an extension, the Mets have historically been prone to ruts. If that means hyping Cespedes up to the point where he pulls a Jeter and dives into the seats, so be it.