Type keyword(s) to search

MLB Thread

smittykins
  • Start Topic

I think the Nationals are the big losers at Winter Meetings.

Lost out on Zobrist, Cooled on Leake.

Still have Papelbon.

And Dusty's first presser wasn't that great either.

Edited by xaxat

I'm giving the Nats the benefit of the doubt. They seem to be trying to improve their bullpen. It stinks to lose Escobar, but they have other players in that position, including a rookie. They just need everyone to stay consistently healthy at the same time, preferably the entire season.

I was sad to see J-Zim leave, but they still have a few good pitchers. I hope they can keep Strasburg and Harper around long term.

With all this money thrown around so far they could just give 1% to me and they wouldn't even miss it.

RIGHT!!!  It's crazy, all the money. They keep expecting all of us to pay way too much to watch baseball on TV.

I almost hope you get that split, mojo, so then you can have the new moniker  "The 1%"

• Love 1

Jason Heyward - 187 million over 8 years =  23.3 million a year.

Out of 6 season has had only one season with over 20 HRs and 80 RBIs.  Last season 13HR and 60RBIs - Good Glove though.

He is still young but if he stays at those  numbers is 23M a year worth it?

Cuddyer is retiring so the Mets have an extra 10 mil or so to play with now. Maybe, if the Cespedes' market is not very active they may be willing to sign him. And he may want to come back. They need a huge bat and he fits the bill.  

Out of 6 season has had only one season with over 20 HRs and 80 RBIs.  Last season 13HR and 60RBIs - Good Glove though.

To Theo Epstein yes, because:

Those numbers are sure to improve in Wrigley.

They've already got bats, they need gloves. And arms.

• Love 1

I know this question is 20+ years late but I will ask anyway

Why in the heck were the Reds and the Braves in the NL West and the Cubs and Cardinals in the NL East?

Because the Cubs and Cardinals refused to go into the West.

Edited by Rick Kitchen

The MLB/Bob Costas doc on the Royals' WS teams, 85 & 15, was just wonderful, said the Giant Homer.

Hilarious that Daryl Motley never collected the $25/per that the players pledged to the guy who caught the last out.

Loved seeing Willie Wilson again, and glad that Frank White thawed enough to participate.  Come home, #20! all is forgiven & we hope it's mutual.

MLB Commissioner Manfred denies Pete Rose reinstatement request:

The lifetime ban of Major League Baseball career hits leader Pete Rose remains in place, as commissioner Rob Manfred has chosen to keep Rose's banishment in place for gambling on baseball. MLB said in a statement that Manfred contacted Rose on Monday to inform him of the decision.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/14365554/pete-rose-remains-banned-major-league-baseball-per-commissioner-rob-manfred-decision

Edited by Moose135
  • Love 3

I agree with it as well.  Rose has never truly accepted what he did was wrong and it's clear it's not in his nature to do so.  If he would have admitted this a long time ago, I believe he'd be officially back in baseball right now.

• Love 1

I agree with it as well.  Rose has never truly accepted what he did was wrong and it's clear it's not in his nature to do so.  If he would have admitted this a long time ago, I believe he'd be officially back in baseball right now.

My understanding is that he was offered a limited-time suspension(three or five years, something like that), but he chose a lifetime ban because he could apply for reinstatement after a year.

The prime reason why Manfred upheld the ban is Rose still bets on baseball. How stupid can he (Rose) be?

Because offense is only 1/2 the equation. Hayward is the one of the best outfielders in the game. Theo knows he got a damn good deal.

• Love 1

Festive!

My sister texted me yesterday and asked me if I had a Mickey Mouse figure wearing a Yankees uniform and I described the one I do have and she said she was describing a different one and I said I didn't have that one...and she said well you still don't, she was just asking.

Ahh, family.

Happy holidays everyone! I hope Santa brings Brian Cashman a young player who is also productive.

I can't be the only one who wants to see his error cost Pap the save and then a Harper throwing error saddle Pap with a loss, right?

I'm with you. I want to see Paps-o-face run out of the industry. Dislike him intensely. Really hope Dusty sides with Harper.

• Love 1

The Chapman move stumps me though thankfully we didn't give up the blue chippers. I'm stumped because the Yanks always stress "character" in their players. Now I don't know Chapman and I don't want to judge but when LA backed out of their deal my first thought was that Cashman would not touch him. 

If spends a certain amount of days on the roster next season he becomes eligible for free agency and if a suspension keeps him out very long the Yanks get him for another year. I guess it's a low risk but I still shake my head.

Anyway, it's almost January which means Feb will be here before long and we can see pitchers and catchers reporting.

Yay! 

Wow what a bullshit trade.  [/obligatory Red Sox reaction]

But seriously- Reds just got crap for the guy. I know baseball operations moves like a snail in the offseason/ Christmas, but the Reds just sold very very low on this idiot. I know we don't want to go back to Bowie Kuhn vs Charlie Finley "Commish approved transactions," but if the Chapman situation/ suspension was given attention then a fair trade would have had a better chance.  If as prican says - that Chapman is suspended and then doesn't get his games in for free agency, then the Reds traded far too early for far too little.

Yes, he's an ass for the domestic violence situation, but the man throws 100*+ and has value beyond his pending suspension if he won't be a free agent.

God, I hate the Yankees.

• Love 2

Dear MLB Network & ESPNers,

Sure, go ahead and call the Yank bullpen "the best since the Nasty Boys"*.  My team rode the "low expectations" horse all the way to the commissioner's trophy.

* I grudgingly note here that one guy called them "Royals 2.0"

So a friend of a friend gets me into a luxury suite for yesterday's Islanders game. Most of the space is separated by walls, but there's only a short plexiglass divider between the seats of the suites. Guess who happened to be sitting right next to us? 

Steven Matz and Jose Reyes!

Both guys were really nice. They were really gracious about posing for photos and Jose's smile really is that great in real life. I later saw Matz in front of Barclays and thought it was kind of funny that he is still at the point in his career where he's pretty much unnoticed on the street. 

• Love 9

Speaking of hockey I was at the Rangers vs. Panthers game Saturday night in Ft. Lauderdale.  I doubt any baseball players were present but I was thrilled to be in the same building as Henrik Lundqvist, the best looking player ever to take the ice!

• Love 1

Since we're all big baseball fans, I thought I'd share this indiegogo site, a fundraiser for a movie called Scouting for Diamonds.

Scouting for Diamonds is a feature-length documentary film about the invisible heroes of baseball: the scouts. It’s about the men (and women) who are blessed and cursed by an unwavering commitment to their first love: baseball.

In the film we meet dozens of men and women who have given their lives to the game in search of that 'next great player.' Told from the perspective of legendary players and the scouts who discovered them, the film reaches into their hearts, and ours, as we learn what scouts see in players that no one else can.

Bagwell, Bonds, Clemens, Griffey Jr., McGwire, Mussina, Piazza, Raines, Schilling, Sosa, Trammell

Yes, I know that's more than 10 (I don't have a vote, so I'm not bound by restrictions!). You'll note no relievers either!

As a person who lived through Piazza's "I'm not, you know, gay" press conference, part of me hopes he gets the nod, just so he can come out at Cooperstown. (He should tell his wife and kids first, though. :) )