Type keyword(s) to search

MLB Thread

smittykins
  • Start Topic

I know I'm not as big a fan as I was in '86.

I'm a bigger fan now than I was in '86. I'm a bigger fan of baseball in general and of *my team* in particular than I was a quarter-century-plus ago, so I'm loving this season. I still can't believe a four-game sweep of Chicago. Wow.

As for Murphy, he can hang around as long as he keeps hitting. I like watching him because he's a good player, not because he's a good guy. A good guy wouldn't make the statements he made. But he's a ballplayer and as long as he's an ass-kicking one, he can stay. Once he starts whiffing with men on base on a regular basis, the Mets can send him packing and hopefully replace him with someone who doesn't blithely shoot off his mouth and offend a sizable portion of the fan base in the process.

That said, I thought that hug he gave Duda in the dugout after Duda homered looked kinda gay...

I had a notion that Duda would impact game 4 after reading an article in the NY Daily News about his struggles. Loved that D Wright snared that lined shot at 3rd base, Beautiful. I heard that Murphy's natural position is 3rd base. Sorry dude, D Wright ain't gonna give it up. 

Can I say that Wilmer Flores is just adorable? The crying incident made me care about him. You can tell he wants to be a lifetime Met. Hope he gets his wish.

I always sing Camptown Races too. I remember hearing that the Braves organist used to play it when Lucas game to the plate but Lucas, who has probably been putting up with this for the entirety of his existence, wasn't too pleased about it. 

Sometimes I write new lyrics depending on the situation. Like during Game 4, when Lucas' bat finally came alive, I sang:

Lucas finally hit a homer

Duda Duda

The Cubs are really up the creek

On this Duda day

• Love 1

I went to college with a woman named Duda, and one of my current coworkers is so named (no relation, either of 'em). So I got the Camptown Races out of my system years ago. The opening notes to the Twilight Zone theme, though? (Doo-da, doo-da, doo-da, doo-da) Still in effect.

You're welcome.

My married last name was something that was easily made fun of ....

Oh no.  Something like Elsie Otter, Zooey D's kid?  L Sea Otter?

ps , with no baseball currently, I am thinking of all the terrible names you could have/ had.

Edited by King of Birds

Wow, I cannot believe the Jays had a runner on 3rd, no outs, and didn't tie that game.

Congrats to the Royals!

PS: I flipped channels. Why is twitter all nuts about Pete Rose and ARod and the rain delay?  Did Pete Rose start talking about betting on a team? (PLEASE tell me this is what happened!)

Edited by King of Birds

Seeing all the love in Kansas City over their team's hard-fought win . . . it's going to be such a shame when they watch the Mets win their first World Series in 29 years.

Seriously, though  . . .  should be one hell of a Series, with two long-suffering fanbases hanging on every pitch. I honestly didn't think the Mets would make it this far.

ETA: What is up with the Royals mascot? He's got a crown for a head. I know it's going to sound weird coming from a fan of a team with baseball-headed mascots, but that's messed up. It's like he's got a giant tumor, and he refuses to wear a hat to cover it up.

• Love 1

Well that was frustrating.

My Jays fully deserved to lose. I don't understand how you can go 0/12 with runners in scoring position. Hats off to the Royals, they earned this one with Bautista trying to will the Jays to a win.

Ok done being gracious in defeat.

Go Mets.

• Love 2

No self respecting sports fan would ever buy from anyone / place named 'Modell'.

(Says this Cleveland fan shaking her fist down toward the hot spot old Artie is spending eternity in)

Modell's is a 125+ year old sporting goods store based in NYC, with no connection to Art Modell.  Honestly, having spent most of my life in NY, when I hear the name I think of the store first, and never connected the two before your post.

• Love 1

Modell's is a 125+ year old sporting goods store based in NYC, with no connection to Art Modell. Honestly, having spent most of my life in NY, when I hear the name I think of the store first, and never connected the two before your post.

I know that. I was being facetious.

Go KC! Win it for the AL Central!

• Love 1

Hum who it root for?  The Mets are NL and I prefer NL but I am a Missourian.

Guess in the end I am fine with either.   I can't begrudge either since they have waited 29 and 30 years. 

Still floating, but as a Royals fan, must say -- our fanbase feared meeting the Astros and the Blue Jays; we knew that they were terrific teams riding hot streaks.  

They made it interesting, terrifying, nauseating.  And wow, if you weren't standing during that last Donaldson/Davis at-bat = check your pulse.

Damn. I wasn't even rooting for Toronto until Joey flipped his bat and then I fell in love. I was so hoping they could come back. Poor David Price. Awesome pitcher, terrible postseason record.

Pete Rose and A-Rod were on set during the rain delay and Pete was acting all doddering old man and cracking up The Big Hurt and the other two studio guys. A-Rod was charming and knowledgeable and will have a future in the media some day.

If there is video of the studio during the rain delay, check it out. It's hard to describe why Pete was annoying without seeing it. But no, there was no talk of wagering.

After one of the most stressful work weeks in recent memory I had a hard time staying awake last night and crashed after the Jays tied the game at 3 - 3, and then I woke up in the middle of the night and HAD TO KNOW who won at that very moment so I checked the score.  Congrats to KC and I'm sorry to have missed watching them win the pennant at home.

I rarely watch pre-game jabbering, but caught the end of one show a few days ago and it looked like some kind of SNL skit - five tall, handsome, well-dressed articulate men and one troll. Like the old kid's "which one is not like the others".

I am guessing Fox hired Rose in hopes that the new commish would overturn his ban and Fox would have exclusive interview rights. If not that, I don't know what the hell they were thinking. My cats are more articulate - and way cuter.

• Love 1

Something that bugged me: Going into the bottom of the sixth of the last Mets/Cubs game, one of the announcers (don't remember which one) remarked that the game was "zipping right along." At that point, it was 10:07 p.m. in the East. So, the game was two hours old and six full innings hadn't been played yet. That's far from "zipping", IMO. 

I did like how the Cubs played "Forever Young" whenever Ross came to bat! The Mets should do that for Colon.

For some reason during the Giants game today FOX played the call of Buckner's error (to remind everyone of the WS, I suppose) and Joe Buck said something like "even in a football game I can't get away from baseball" which first off if you don't want to do it there are others who would and it would be enjoyable for all and second you fuck right off because if you have the opportunity to play Vin Scully's fabulous call, you do it and shut your trap.

Edited by mojoween
  • Love 9

Don't know how will win but KC is just too scary. Mets arms are great but these pesky Royals don't know how to stop.  Hope Mets win.  

Mets announce the rotation.

http://web.yesnetwork.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20151024&content_id=155469660&oid=0

KC is stoppable. They swept their way into the World Series last year and were stopped and the Mets have basically three of what stopped the Royals in their tracks. Part of me doesn't want single one of them to come close to what Bum did last year, but I do hope the Mets starters band together to get it done. I want the Mets to win, but I want this to go six or seven. I want the Mets starters to be solid and I want the Royals to have a game or two that makes it seem like they're still in it. Then I want the Mets to shut them down.

Oh, and I hope Joe Buck has every reason to talk about the Mets starters a lot. 

Edited by rippleintime17

Congressman Steve Israel from Long Island (he was my representative before I moved to CLT) had a bet with Congressman Adam Schiff from Southern California on the Mets-Dodgers series.  After the Mets won, Schiff had to sing "Meet the Mets" on the floor of Congress:

• Love 1

Aww, best wishes to Torii Hunter, who announced his retirement. I hate LOVE that one of the recent memories of him will be watching that cop exult in a home run at Fenway.

That was like, the BEST memory.  Thanks for the reminder, mojoween!

Edited by King of Birds

I was just reading that if the Mets win this will be Juan Uribe's 3rd ring.  3 different teams.  I want the Royals to win. I don't know how they schedule it so that they are not playing at the same time as the Chiefs since they share a parking lot.