Type keyword(s) to search

MLB Thread

smittykins
  • Start Topic

STOP STOP STOP. STOP TALKING STOP POSTING.  Why do think I haven't been here gloating??!!   DON'T JINX THINGS.

Bwah! Sorry, but when it comes to Neurotic, I-Control-the-Universe-With-My-Mind Fandom, I may still have you beat.

Proof:

I almost never watch a game live -- or never for very long, or only if I'm AT the stadium, and would look stupid facing away from the field.

• Love 2

That is awesome!!  As a Queens native I should probably embrace the Mets but as a Braves fan, or at least a now former Braves fan, I just can't.  Gonna send that picture to my Yankees fanatic father since tomorrow is his birthday.

• Love 1

MLB Network really should stop using that promo featuring Jayson Werth stating that the Nats are clearly the team to beat in the NL.

It's kind of cruel at this point.

On the plus side does anyone still listen to anything Jayson Werth says anymore?

• Love 2

On the plus side does anyone still listen to anything Jayson Werth says anymore?

But every day reporters come up to him in the locker room and ask him to talk about stuff... 

Of course, athletes should be seen and rarely heard, just like children.

With my head buried at work a few hours ago, my cellphone started pinging like crazy with people texting and emailing about Farrell. Of course, one buddy of mine, being a Sox fan who has had season tix for 20+ years (field, 3b side btwn visitor dugout and Monster) his note was "Well, we can't fire a guy who just announced he has cancer now.  Right?"  Boston Strong, people!

Prayers for John.  And man, you gotta love Tito Francona, don't you?

• Love 1

The Giants recreated the Full House opening and it is perfect: https://amp.twimg.com/v/6ce1ec7d-06e0-418e-b3df-edc5729af154

I wasn't a fan of the show but damn, that was cute.

I found out today that a friend has stage 1 endometrial cancer, a rare side effect from medicine she takes as a breast cancer survivor.  There's too much of this shit going around an my thoughts are with John Farrell.

Absolutely, always have and always will.

It's tough to see a player you adore have a night when he's...well, human.

But now -- whew! #dirtysouthisback

p.s.: The Mets meme = hilarious.  I'd recommend a t-shirt with that on it, but as a member of Neurotic Fandom, I know you don't want to tempt fate.

p.s.: The Mets meme = hilarious.  I'd recommend a t-shirt with that on it, but as a member of Neurotic Fandom, I know you don't want to tempt fate.

I'm gonna be THAT Yankee fan and say that the meme is incorrect already.  Sorry guys, couldn't resist.

• Love 2

The St. Louis Cardinals Hall of Fame induction ceremony was Saturday.  Of course I couldn't watch because AT&T U-verse can't come to an agreement with Fox Sports Midwest.  Curt Flood was one of the inductees, and I had no idea he played a part in changing MLBs labor history.  When the Cardinals attempted to trade him to the Phillies in post-season 1969, he refused, and was backed by the player's union.  He sent this statement to the baseball commissioner.

"December 24, 1969

After twelve years in the major leagues, I do not feel I am a piece of property to be bought and sold irrespective of my wishes. I believe that any system which produces that result violates my basic rights as a citizen and is inconsistent with the laws of the United States and of the several States.It is my desire to play baseball in 1970, and I am capable of playing. I have received a contract offer from the Philadelphia club, but I believe I have the right to consider offers from other clubs before making any decision. I, therefore, request that you make known to all Major League clubs my feelings in this matter, and advise them of my availability for the 1970 season."

The case went all the way to the Supreme Court, and although he lost, his case helped permanently change MLB.  In 1970 the owners and the MLBPA agreed to the "10/5 Rule" (sometimes called the "Curt Flood Rule"), which allows players with ten years of Major League service, the last five with the same team, to veto any trade.

Here's an interesting article ranking baseball fan bases.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/mlb/the-best-fanbases-in-baseball/ss-AAdrBlh#image=1

• Love 2

The St. Louis Cardinals Hall of Fame induction ceremony was Saturday.  Of course I couldn't watch because AT&T U-verse can't come to an agreement with Fox Sports Midwest.  

Someone needs to ask Mannfred about this. How does he feel about networks and providers holding fans hostage during negotiations, preventing them from watching games, in order to make more money? Your service, Los Angeles, Houston. . I'm sure there are others.

Edited by xaxat
  • Love 2

MadBum just his his fourth homer of the season.  He's currently shutting out Washington in the top of the 8th.

MLB nicely compiled all ten (!!!) of his homers into a highlight reel for everyone to enjoy: http://m.mlb.com/video/v378466583/bumgarner-racks-up-10-home-runs-in-his-career/?c_id=mlb

Yesterday's game was just ridic. 14 strikeouts, complete game shut-out, RBI double AND a homer?! To assure the four-game sweep at home? Madison Bumgarner fanboy David Price says "If I'm MadBum I walk away from the game right now! wow what a day he had...I don't know about fantasy points but that's WAY better than a PG." If you love him so much, DP, join him in San Francisco next season!

• Love 1

The St. Louis Cardinals Hall of Fame induction ceremony was Saturday.  Of course I couldn't watch because AT&T U-verse can't come to an agreement with Fox Sports Midwest.  Curt Flood was one of the inductees, and I had no idea he played a part in changing MLBs labor history.  When the Cardinals attempted to trade him to the Phillies in post-season 1969, he refused, and was backed by the player's union.  He sent this statement to the baseball commissioner.

"December 24, 1969

After twelve years in the major leagues, I do not feel I am a piece of property to be bought and sold irrespective of my wishes. I believe that any system which produces that result violates my basic rights as a citizen and is inconsistent with the laws of the United States and of the several States.It is my desire to play baseball in 1970, and I am capable of playing. I have received a contract offer from the Philadelphia club, but I believe I have the right to consider offers from other clubs before making any decision. I, therefore, request that you make known to all Major League clubs my feelings in this matter, and advise them of my availability for the 1970 season."

The case went all the way to the Supreme Court, and although he lost, his case helped permanently change MLB.  In 1970 the owners and the MLBPA agreed to the "10/5 Rule" (sometimes called the "Curt Flood Rule"), which allows players with ten years of Major League service, the last five with the same team, to veto any trade.

Here's an interesting article ranking baseball fan bases.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/mlb/the-best-fanbases-in-baseball/ss-AAdrBlh#image=1

Another thing most Card fans know is Curt Flood's importance in baseball. Why he was elected to their Hall of Fame. 

• Love 1

I agree, I hope he takes his time and not rush.  Just yesterday MLB Network was saying they put him in the rotation so the others could go a day later or something.  I think it was a September lineup thing.  

I feel bad for the batter who hit the ball also.

Watching Mets/Orioles. I hear Mets fans at Camden Yards. I hope they're better than Yankees supporters. Seriously, I've been to two Yankees/Orioles games in Baltimore. Yanks fans swarm the place like locusts, and it sucked when the O's were second division.

Watching Mets/Orioles. I hear Mets fans at Camden Yards. I hope they're better than Yankees supporters. Seriously, I've been to two Yankees/Orioles games in Baltimore. Yanks fans swarm the place like locusts, and it sucked when the O's were second division.

I wasn't there tonight - thanks O's for not winning for me on my birthday! - but any fans would have to be better behaved than the Yankee fans at away stadiums.  Even the Saux fans aren't as...intrusive... and they're not great.

I tried to behave in Seattle last week.  And I haven't forgotten that you asked about why the stadium was lovely.  It's got wide concourses, the people are friendly, the food is good, the beer is fabulous, they even have a wine bar!  And a fireplace for when it gets cold! One of the nicer stadiums.  We only have 4 more to go.

• Love 2

The Giants brought Madison Bumgarner in as a pinch hitter.  He got a single.

And this right here is why the DH should be abolished!  Okay, I realize a pitcher could conceivably be called upon to pinch hit in an AL game but I never miss the opportunity to bash the DH.

Happy belated birthday ebk57!  I hope it was a great one despite the O's loss.

• Love 4

Camden Yards is probably as close as Yankee Stadium or closer for some Yankee fans, so it makes sense why so many show up. As someone who is often an "away fan" (my favorite team is the Giants but I live on the East Coast), it can be a weird situation to be in. I always try to be as respectful as possible of the home fans around me while still rooting for my team and outwardly enjoying seeing them play. I've found that when you're respectful and can carry a conversation with the folks around you about THEIR team too, it's usually all good. It also helps that pretty much every ballpark I've seen the Giants play in has had a pretty good number of Giants fans too. My favorite away experience was definitely Chris Heston's no-hitter, which was unfolding in such a way that even the Mets fans around me were appreciative of what was going on! 

And this right here is why the DH should be abolished!  Okay, I realize a pitcher could conceivably be called upon to pinch hit in an AL game but I never miss the opportunity to bash the DH.

Same! Madison actually WAS the best option off the bench in that situation. You could say it says a lot about the state of the bench but it also says a lot about Madison. I'm really hoping Bochy at least lets him hit for himself if he gets a start in Oakland in September. 

A DH who can't play defense or really run that well hit a grand slam last night.

DH forever! Perhaps I should have gotten THAT tattoo instead.

(Aim you know I love ya even though we apparently have nothing in common, heh.)

So Tex hurts his groin and his replacement knocks in two two run home runs in one game. Good job kid. Now I forgive Cashman because the reason he didn't do a lot at the deadline is because he wasn't going to give up Severino or Bird.

• Love 2

Okay, wanna know a secret?  One of my favorite ballplayers from the not too distant past was predominently a DH:  Edgar Martinez.  I loved him and think he should be in the HoF.

But I still hate the DH in general!

• Love 2

I went to the gym after work and one of the overhead TV's was tuned into Pardon the Interruption.  There was a story on the GM change in Boston and the close captioning called Dave Dombrowski 'dumb brows.' I thought that was funny.

• Love 1

Happy belated birthday ebk57!  I hope it was a great one despite the O's loss.

Thanks much Aim.  The team doesn't seem to be doing anything to make me feel better tonight...  

Fun thing at the O's game Sunday - the A's had a position player come in to pitch at the end and the O's left the pitcher in to hit.  That so rarely happens in the AL due to the unloved DH.  

That was a fun game.  

I have no love for the DH either. I prefer the strategy even if it does make me want to tear my hair sometimes.

• Love 3

The infield fly rule (KC/Cin) was invoked tonight!  I only mention it because I think the last time I saw this play...well, I can't even remember the last time I saw this play.  

And obviously the Reds player who was tagged out at home? never saw this play either.

Darling Hoch! I'm sorry I yelled when you missed that pop-up.  Good on ya' for nailing the throw.

The infield fly rule (KC/Cin) was invoked tonight!  I only mention it because I think the last time I saw this play...well, I can't even remember the last time I saw this play.  

The last time I remember seeing the infield fly rule invoked was during the Wild Card playoff game between St. Louis and Atlanta in 2011, I think, and it was a bullshit call.

• Love 1