Type keyword(s) to search

MLB Thread

smittykins
  • Start Topic

2 hours ago, Xeliou66 said:

Wow, Soto to the Padres. They are going to have quite a lineup with Soto, Tatis, Machado etc. This makes the Padres into major contenders. 

Well yeah, but I was excited for a second,  thinking Hosmer would come to us.  Too bad he said no, at least he's going to a team I like.

Am I correct in thinking Luke Voit was on the Yankees before he was with the Padres?

If so, Yankees fans what is your opinion on him?

Edited by jennifer6973
To ask Yankees fans a question.
  • Love 1

The problem with the fun that San Diego is going to be having is that for the most part, it’s going to start after I’ve woken up from falling asleep in front of the Yankees game and heading to bed.

I know “The Captain” isn’t for everyone, but I am loving it.  I just wish we could skip 2001, 2003 and 2004.

Also it stuns me all over again just how damned good-looking a young A-Rod was.  He’s still fine, but 20 years ago?  Have mercy.

48 minutes ago, jennifer6973 said:

LUUUUUUUUKE!

We generally speaking liked Luke. He was a pretty good hitter, good power for the first two or three years with the Yankees. 2021 and it looks like 2022 after he was traded haven't been so great. He was hurt quite a bit the last couple years with the Yankees.

(edited)

Thanks to John Sterling’s home-run call, I always wondered:  if the Yankees were in Detroit and Luke hit a homer, where would he hit it to? 😛

ETA:  YES is claiming Monty has been traded to the Cards for Harrison Bader.  WHAT?!?

Edited by smittykins
  • Love 1
3 minutes ago, mojoween said:

Poor Monty.  I should have known when they picked up three pitchers yesterday one who was already there was going to have to go.  This sucks.

It does. I'm upset about this trade too. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

It doesn't really matter, the Jays are not going to be very competitive in the playoffs.

They just got him bc Springer is injured.

Edited by cleo
2 hours ago, jennifer6973 said:

Am I correct in thinking Luke Voit was on the Yankees before he was with the Padres?

I didn't care for him. He's either a home run or an out, but he does tend to hit HRs in bunches, so there will be some stretches where he's an asset. Poor situational hitter, IMO. Also, a defensive hack at 1B. I was ecstatic when the Yankees got Rizzo, just from a defensive standpoint, not even counting how much I love his lefty bat in YS.

As a Padres fan, I'm happy today. Tatis back soon, a major 1B upgrade (think a local beer company was releasing a new beer called "Groundout" in honor of Hosmer, Soto(!) we got Hader, and kept some fan favs. 

And extended local boy Musgrove, who's having a great year.

I'm bummed about Hosmer apparently costing us Voit and his chest moss (courtesy of our amazing announcers) but he has been struggling.

Edited by CrazyDog
  • Love 1
6 hours ago, mojoween said:

Or he can stay in the states, and just play in Toronto away games!

I actually had that same thought.  What a world.  

4 hours ago, mojoween said:

When Josh Donaldson was on Toronto (and I know he had another team since then but…) it felt like he was on base every time he was at bat.  So what happened?  Age?  Injuries?

It was an era of the Jays shitting on every player that did great for them - Donaldson, Stroman, Bautista, Encarnacion.  They discarded them all like garbage.  

If you are asking what's going on with him now -- sorry, I misinterpreted, LOL.  I have no idea!  But I think that those players, maybe minus Bautista, would have all been doing well if paid what they were worth in Toronto at the time.  They're all past their prime now - maybe not Stroman.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Useful 1
2 minutes ago, Salacious Kitty said:

Vin Scully has passed away. RIP to a legend.

Dang. I hope he enjoyed his retirement.

I guess Ohtani is stuck in Anaheim for the rest of the season. Meanwhile, Thor goes to . . . . Philadelphia. That must be thrilling for him, contending for that third wild card. Plus side for any Mets fan who has tickets for a game on August 12-14 . . . they just got more valuable.

• Love 2
8 hours ago, Salacious Kitty said:

Vin Scully has passed away. RIP to a legend.

Sad announcement to wake up to.  His post-retirement Twitter career was robust for a man in his 90’s.

It’s amazing to me that, seven years in to his career, the Dodgers thought enough of their young radio announcer to take him with them on the move to California.

”Hi everybody, and a pleasant good evening to you wherever you may be” is what turned on the eye faucets this morning.

Edited by mojoween
  • Like 1
  • Love 8
51 minutes ago, mojoween said:

I

am

DONE

with Gerrit Cole.

DOOOOOOOONNNNNNNEEEEEEE.

You want to trade him for a utility infielder? Asking for a friend from Pittsburgh.

• LOL 5
  • Love 1
17 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

It was an era of the Jays shitting on every player that did great for them - Donaldson, Stroman, Bautista, Encarnacion.  They discarded them all like garbage.  

That was a sad time. Especially for Marcus Stroman...he wanted to stay, made no mistake about it, screamed to the high hills about it and he earned the right to stay.

...and...well, we know what happened. 😢

19 hours ago, mojoween said:

When Josh Donaldson was on Toronto (and I know he had another team since then but…) it felt like he was on base every time he was at bat.  So what happened?  Age?  Injuries?

My guess is age. He was 29 when he came to Toronto, he wasn't a spring chicken. At 36, he's definitely well past his prime and may start getting to the age where he's no longer useful, if he isn't there already.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, mojoween said:

I watched the notifications coming across my phone with increasing horror.

I was at a medical appointment in Canandaigua, waiting to be called in, when the notifications came on my phone and thought, “Welp, guess I’m glad I’m missing it.”

• Sad 1
  • Love 1

Funny . . . folks where I work were offered tickets to today’s game. Giving up six runs in the first inning doesn’t seem like likely from the best team in baseball.

Mets tickets were also offered . . . and I’ll be going to Citi Field next week.

• Love 4
4 hours ago, cleo said:

I was thinking the other day when they say baseball is romantic, they must mean bc it can break your heart.

I've always loved this passage from Bart Giamatti:

“[Baseball] breaks your heart. It is designed to break your heart. The game begins in the spring, when everything else begins again, and it blossoms in the summer, filling the afternoons and evenings, and then as soon as the chill rains come, it stops and leaves you to face the fall all alone. You count on it, rely on it to buffer the passage of time, to keep the memory of sunshine and high skies alive, and then just when the days are all twilight, when you need it most, it stops.”

• Love 8

Sandy Alcantara with another brilliant outing - a complete game shutout of the Reds. Just give this guy the Cy Young already, he’s been the sole bright spot for my Fishies this season!! 

• Love 1

Braves and Mets start a five-game series tonight. Mets are in good position . . . the absolute worst outcome would be getting swept and falling 1.5 games back. Best case: a sweep, 8.5 games ahead. 🤞 

• Love 3
42 minutes ago, Lantern7 said:

Braves and Mets start a five-game series tonight. Mets are in good position . . . the absolute worst outcome would be getting swept and falling 1.5 games back. Best case: a sweep, 8.5 games ahead. 🤞 

Braves/Mets and Padres/Dodgers will be fun series to watch this weekend. 

• Love 2

They advertised Sunday Night Baseball and I wasn’t looking at the TV, and when they said Mookie Betts I was like wait Boston is playing in the national game?

Pretty sure Betts has been a Dodger longer than he was a Red Sock.  Also when Syndergaard was traded I thought the Mets were doing it.  Memory’s not what it used to be.

• LOL 6

There have been a lot of tributes to Vin Scully featuring his most famous calls, but I think that misses the point. His magic stemmed from how he broadcasted an entire game. His mellifluous (don't get to use that word too often) voice and ability to tell a narrative within the context of the game was amazing. 

I feel bad for fans who never heard him call an entire game, because that is what made him great.

• Love 14
17 hours ago, Mean Machine said:

I'm starting to think the Giants aren't going to be equaling last year's record.

Given how San Diego got better + The Dodgers = Yeah I wouldn't bet on it.

It's not common to turn on the radio or the TV for an announcer (other than Pat & John).  Though I have turned it off due to someone calling a game.  Vin Scully was one in a handful of people that was worth listening to.  Really it was more about the game and not the person calling it.

• Love 1

Screwing around . . . hit ESPN.com looking up Daniel Vogelbach, and I found this article. I’m thinking the Mets might have acquired him for power, while also being a big mofo that brings good luck.

It sucks that the DH became universal almost four decades after Rusty Staub retired.

Blue Jays are doing a sitcom theme night and they chose to do Friends, a sitcom set in New York from the 90s. 

Could that be any more illogical? 

Pop Tv GIF by Schitt's Creek

Edited by cleo
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1
6 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

Screwing around . . . hit ESPN.com looking up Daniel Vogelbach, and I found this article. I’m thinking the Mets might have acquired him for power, while also being a big mofo that brings good luck.

The running joke in Pittsburgh was that he looks he should be in your slow pitch softball league, not in the majors.

Edited by xaxat
  • Love 1
14 hours ago, xaxat said:

The running joke in Pittsburgh was that he looks he should be in your slow pitch softball league, not in the majors.

My brother sent me this text earlier this week:

"Vogelbach on the Mets:

"

• LOL 1
9 minutes ago, morriss said:

Does anybody think Milwaukee is starting to regret trading Josh Hader?

I didn’t understand that move, the Brewers in right in the thick of the playoff race, and they trade their closer to another team right in the NL playoff race? It just didn’t make sense. Hader had a rough month or two but when he’s playing well he’s a top 5 closer. 

• Love 3