Type keyword(s) to search

MLB Thread

smittykins
  • Start Topic

For the record, while I am incredibly fond of Jeter (Der-ek Je-ter! Clap clap clapclapclap.) I really completely and totally adore A-Rod and that has been unwavering. So yes, I can make it go from bad to worse, ha!

On Father's Day my dad was waxing poetic about A-Rod and when I asked him how he'd feel if A-Rod wore a different uniform he paused, thought, and then admitted he'd hate him as much as everyone else does.  Oddly I felt vindicated!

• Love 3

I felt bad for Charlie Manuel for the shabby way the organization treated him when he was fired, but now it looks like it might have been a blessing in disguise.

King I thought you would like to know that today is Derek Jeter's birthday. You know, in case you would like to take him out for pizza. Make sure you bring cash!

Thank you for bringing this to my attention.  He's older and a cheap rich guy. Just wait til he's bald.

"He's no Willie Randolph" is what they'll say.

• Love 6

Does anyone actually read The Players' Tribune? I've never really had a desire to read long/medium format pieces by athletes. 

Jeter is a smart guy, but creating essentially a vanity press for athletes didn't seem like a winner for his first post-baseball project. Especially since athletes, of all people, really don't lack for venues to reach fans. 

• Love 1

Giancarlo Stanton is like the only bright spot for the Marlins and now the poor guy is hurt again.

King I just have to tell you how amused I still am. "He's no Wille Randolph" is going to become my go-to phrase.

• Love 3

Well. So  . . . the Mets have a new pitching phenom  debut in Steven Matz, As I write this, he's given up two solo homers . . . but that is overshadowed by his 3-for-3 performance with 4 RBI. SNY keeps cutting to his family (he's from Long Island), and they are going nuts. You gotta check out the highlights when they come on.

ETA: I almost forgot . . . this is all coming off the completion of a game from Saturday that ended up going 13 innings before the Mets won. So yeah . . . the Mets are having a day to remember.

• Love 3

I'm wondering if, okay, hoping that Matz is a Yid because we're sorely under represented in the big leagues these days.  Doesn't "my son, the baseball player" have a nice ring to it?

As a Yiddisha Mama with no kids, can I like this a thousand times?  

Meanwhile, here in Birdland, I got to see the O's 5000th all time win.  And they just won number 5001 - a good day all around!!

IMG_20150628_155802_zpsmhx0nt3p.jpg

• Love 1

I'm wondering if, okay, hoping that Matz is a Yid because we're sorely under represented in the big leagues these days.  Doesn't "my son, the baseball player" have a nice ring to it?

I went looking around and there are a lot of Internet posts that assume that he's Jewish, but nothing clear-cut.

(edited)

Thank you for bringing this to my attention. He's older and a cheap rich guy. Just wait til he's bald.

Oh, BTW, Josh Donaldson's "full-Jeter" dive into the stands was rated #1 on MLB Network's "Plays of the Week," even ahead of Max Scherzer's no-hitter.

Just in case you wanted to know. ;)

Edited by smittykins
  • Love 2

Oh, BTW, Josh Donaldson's "full-Jeter" dive into the stands was rated #1 on MLB Network's "Plays of the Week," even ahead of Max Scherzer's no-hitter.

Just in case you wanted to know. ;)

As an A's fan, I miss Josh.  A lot.

Madison Bumgarner recorded his 1,000th strikeout and hit a homer on the same day. I have to imagine that is the first time that has happened. 

He's the youngest Giants pitcher to reach 1000 Ks.

I heard a crazy tidbit this morning. July 1 could be called Bobby Bonilla Day in New York because in 2011 he structured a 5.9 mil buyout into 1 mil a year...for TWENTY years. Ahh, Mets.

That's noted financial swindler Bernie Madoff's work. He convinced the Wilpons that they should keep the lump sum of the buyout because he could invest it at a return rate so high it would allow them to pay Bonilla over those years and make a profit.

Now we know that the only reason he was capable of such high returns is because he was running a massive Ponzi scheme.

• Love 2

The Mets' finances got seriously messy because of Madoff and the Bonilla contract was the least of their worries. At one point Fred Wilpon was sued by other Madoff victims alleging that he knew, or should have know that the money Madoff paid him was because he was near the top of the pyramid scheme. They eventually won the case, but the team's finances were so bad MLB was loaning them money and Wilpon was offering chunks of the team to anyone with a couple million dollars in his pocket.

• Love 1

I heard a crazy tidbit this morning. July 1 could be called Bobby Bonilla Day in New York because in 2011 he structured a 5.9 mil buyout into 1 mil a year...for TWENTY years. Ahh, Mets.

Twenty-five, actually. And he's making twice as much as Matt Harvey.

Jon Lester is 0 for 64 as a hitter. . . and John Maddon is batting him eighth tonight.

I wonder how he broke the news to Jonathan Herrera, who is batting ninth.

• Love 1

Carlos Carrasco, who amazingly was laughing after the game and said, "More importantly, we won."

Cleveland in three straight games took no-hitters to the sixth inning. Pretty cool piece of history there. Of course, if it is business as usual they will keep playing lights out on the road, get Cleveland all excited, finally get a good crowd at home, and that is when they will lay an egg.

• Love 1

I understand that today is Independence Day (and I wonder if Toronto has to do it) but I really loathe the ball caps with the flag and the stars in the numbers on the jerseys.

With that said, I really can't believe that the Yanks didn't get a live singer for God Bless America today.

But. Back to back walk-offs, woot! I really did feel badly for Boxberger for that errant throw to first, though.

• Love 1
(edited)

I think having the jersey and the cap is a bit mcuh.    I think they at least get raffled off for charity.

Also having the American flag on the sleeve is unnecessary.  

At least its not camo.

Edited by tom87
  • Love 1

Caught the tail-end of Steven Matz's second start. He cooled off at the plate. . . 0-for-3 with a RBI, putting his average to a mere .500. On the bright side: six scoreless innings against the Dodgers, as the Mets broke their drought, winning 8-0.

• Love 2

On Friday, the guys at Around The Horn were trying to figure out who the Mets would sacrifice. One guy suggested Mr. Met. The second went with Bartolo Colon, probably basing that decision on volume. The final guy went with Bobby Bonilla, whom the Mets are still paying, despite his crappy tours of duty with the Mets.

• Love 2
(edited)

Giants play a game in Washington starting at 8 PM and then have to fly clear across country to play another game tomorrow night.

While in the middle of a six game losing streak.

And it's the second time they've had an evening game on the East Coast and had to fly back for an evening game on the West Coast that is happening the next day in three weeks.

At least this time, they were granted permission to leave in the morning. I believe they left DC around 10am, so they had a chance to actually sleep before traveling and will get in to SF around 1 or 2pm. Probably means they have to head right to the ballpark to prepare for the game tonight though.

Edited by rippleintime17

Last night, ESPN 'cast a minor league game between the Akron RubberDucks and the Richmond Flying Squirrels. I...really can't endorse that.  Can you imagine being a grown-ass man filling out your tax form by putting "RubberDuck" under 'occupation'? 

(Squirrels won, 2-1) (in case you were curious.)

(edited)

On Friday, the guys at Around The Horn were trying to figure out who the Mets would sacrifice. One guy suggested Mr. Met. The second went with Bartolo Colon, probably basing that decision on volume. The final guy went with Bobby Bonilla, whom the Mets are still paying, despite his crappy tours of duty with the Mets.

You know what? I could see Mr. Met voluntarily taking one for the team. He's that kind of a guy.

Edited by xaxat
  • Love 3
(edited)

Adam Lind has an RBI in 9 straight games! Tying the Brewers record!  Brewers have won 8 straight!  Not the team record!  

Major League record for consecutive games with an RBI is 17 !!!

Edited by ketchuplover
(edited)

Ahh I cannot even stand it. Mo is in Auburn watching his son play for the Doubledays and my friend's kid was taken to get an autographed baseball. I live like 20 minutes from there and I probably have an in because of The Hartford connection but it's too late to drive over now. Waaaaah.

I hate that Gardner's ASG selection comes down to the final fan vote again but I can't argue with Bautista, Jones and Martinez getting in over him with the Manager/Player vote or Trout, Cain and Gordon for the fan vote. Well, maybe Gordon. Because the Royals fans are dirty filthy cheaters, heh.

Edited by mojoween

The only time I hated an All-Star selection was back in 2003, when Dusty Baker picked Armando Benetiez as the Mets' sole representative. I think they were above .500 at the time, and he was known for blowing saves in spectacular fashion.