Type keyword(s) to search

MLB Thread

smittykins
  • Start Topic

Someone had to touch the ball while it was in foul territory for it to be a foul ball.  Once it rolls back into fair territory without ever being touched, it is fair again.

• Love 3
5 hours ago, MyAimIsTrue said:

Apparently I never realized that Kike's name was spelled the way it is.  It really makes me uncomfortable seeing it in the written form.

yeah good point. It's short for Enrique, so he probably could have spelled it any way he wanted. I always thought it was a strange short form for Enrique, never heard it before, but a lot of the players have names I've never heard before. 

28 minutes ago, smittykins said:

Okay, WHY in the name of all that is holy are the Yankees making a "strong offer" for Machado when they have Didi, Drury, Andújar and Torres(once he comes off the DL)?

Probably so nobody else can have him. But hey, if the Yankees want to waste prospects on a player they don’t need instead of getting a starter that they do need, fine by me.

• Love 1

Manny is not needed. There is no guarantee he signs with Yanks in 2019 and then we will have gotten rid of good prospects for nothing. If Cashman's true desire is to win championships (plural) then he can't sacrifice the future. We need pitching in order to have any kind of success. Another right handed hitter is not needed, And how do we know Manny really wants to play here aside from the rumors? His avg in post season is under .200.  I hate these rumors. Can't wait till 31 July is here. 

• Love 2

My DVR says “since you are only doing laundry right now please watch these shows that have been recorded for weeks” but the guide says “YES is showing ‘Farewell to the Boss’ from July 16, 2010” and the DVR continues to sob in the corner.

• Love 2

Random thoughts: 

• The dark grey road unis used by Arizona are HORRIBLE. It's an ugly shade, made worse by the ribbed ankes. The all look like 6-year-olds in their PJs. 
  • The Indian pitcher Clemenger might be Eddie Vedder's kid brother, they look so much alike. 
  • Love 1

The Indians did Yan Gomes a bit dirty.  He’s up in the bottom of the ninth, the Indians are down 5-4, Chapman is dealing, and the team decides that’s a good time to let Gomes know via the PA guy that Gomes is headed to the All-Star Game.

No pressure!  

He struck out.

• Love 2
(edited)

I really disliked Santiago Casilla when he blew so many games for the Giants, and then groaned when he got picked up by the A's. They finally figured out he's worse than useless and have cut him loose.

Edited by Silver Raven
(edited)

@Silver Raven . . . they're one game over .500. Why the trigger pull? By that rationale, Sandy Anderson should have executed Mickey Callaway between games of last week’s doubleheader.

I have to find my copy of Sports Illustrated. They listed potential deadline deals. One of them involved the Mets getting four Yankees for deGrom. Depressing thought . . . God forbid the Yankees win the Series. The fans at the parade would be even more vicious towards Mets fans.

Edited by Lantern7
  • Love 1

Silver Raven, I don't pay any attention to other teams but my own (I'm a jaded NYer)  but I'm curious about how the Cards' fans react to this. Is the team that bad or are is it just underachieving?  

Lantern, nothing is preordained. BoSox got bounced in the first round last year and the mighty Mariners of whatever year they won 100+ didn't get to WS. Getting top notch players just gives a team a better chance not a guarantee.

No way Mets deal Jake to Yanks. Yanks would have to give them Gleyber to start and throw in Sanchez, Andujar and Frazier. I don't see it. 

But then again, nothing is guaranteed. Trying to shut my eyes and ears to trade deadline talk because it's too exhausting. 

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Silver Raven said:

I really disliked Santiago Casilla when he blew so many games for the Giants, and then groaned when he got picked up by the A's. They finally figured out he's worse than useless and have cut him loose.

I was at that game last night. The 7th inning was great! Overheard on the train on my way home, "Casilla later!" from one friend to another.

• Love 3

I guess it's been a few years since I've watched the home run derby but I don't like the new format. It's fun for the first round I guess but the second round should go back to the top two highest home run totals make it to the finals. 

Oh well. Well done by Rhys Hoskins now rest and hit those home runs when they really count.

Fun to watch, but I'm not into the distance, speed stats. It's out of the park it's a run, good enough for me. I must admit I would've liked to have seen Judge and Betts go at it.

• Love 1
(edited)

Yeah, why Baez over Judge?

I just found out next year’s is in Cleveland.  They’ll host for a record breaking 6th time.  No wonder the Dolan’s are removing our beloved Chief Wahoo.

ETA:  Harper went on a rampage at the end!  Glad he won over Schwarber.

Edited by roamyn
27 minutes ago, roamyn said:

Yeah, why Baez over Judge?

I just found out next year’s is in Cleveland.  They’ll host for a record breaking 6th time.  No wonder the Dolan’s are removing our beloved Chief Wahoo.

ETA:  Harper went on a rampage at the end!  Glad he won over Schwarber.

Judge didn't want to participate this year.

Mookie Betts amused me when he said “I'm not a home run hitter” and the lady interviewing him gave him the side eye and he was basically like “well ok I only hit home runs when I do”.

I’m thinking after the crap Judge got last year with his post-Derby slump the bigger names were hesitant to put themselves out there like that.

Got the copy of SI on my lap. From Joe Sheehan: Yankees get deGrom, Mets get Frazier, Sheffield, Loaisiga and Pereia. Since I don’t follow baseball that hard these days, is there a chance such a deal wouldn’t go down as “Ryan for Fergosi”?

(edited)

Aaron Judge was shown at least four times in the beginning of the ASG coverage on FOX, much of the time without showing the back of his jersey.  Don’t try to tell ME he’s not the face of baseball.

If the Dodgers want to make the play on Machado, I am a-ok with that.  Get him right out of the AL!

Losing Frazier and Loaisiga would hurt, but the Yanks can give DeGrom run support for sure.

I’m curious why the big reactions in Washington to some guy from the A’s and (the Buffalo?) Wilson Cruz.

Edited by mojoween
  • Love 1
(edited)

Did players from the other NL East teams get booed? deGrom getting that reaction . . . I imagine him thinking, "Look, I'm probably to be set for life by the end of the month, or with a far better shot of getting a ring. Lay off!"

Edited by Lantern7

If the Dodgers want to make the play on Machado, I am a-ok with that.  Get him right out of the AL!

mojo, my sentiments exactly. Heard the rumor this afternoon and nearly  jumped for joy. I hope the trade goes through. Away from Boston, Houston as well as the Yanks.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, mojoween said:

Aaron Judge was shown at least four times in the beginning of the ASG coverage on FOX, much of the time without showing the back of his jersey.  Don’t try to tell ME he’s not the face of baseball.

Losing Frazier and Loaisiga would hurt, but the Yanks can give DeGrom run support for sure.

I’m curious why the big reactions in Washington to some guy from the A’s and (the Buffalo?) Wilson Cruz.

Blake Treinan (from the A's) was traded from the Nationals for Ryan Madson and Sean Doolittle.

For what it's worth he was the December 2018 player on the Nationals pet calendar.

• Love 1
35 minutes ago, jennifer6973 said:

For what it's worth he was the December 2018 player on the Nationals pet calendar.

Oddly enough, as I was driving home from the stadium Sunday, I wondered if Manny Machado and Adam Jones had already taken pictures for next year's Os pet calendar.  Adam has the best dogs.

Oh, and I'm quite enjoying how charming Mike Trout is tonight

• Love 1
17 hours ago, mojoween said:

Wilson Ramos was the starting catcher for the Nationals for a long time. They would chant "WIIIIIILSOOOOOON" before his ABs. He was voted in as the starting catcher for the AL, likely because Nationals fans were also voting for him, but he is injured so did not play and thus got announced as a reserve.

^^Ahh thank you!  This is what happens when you live a Yankee-centric life, heh.

Until last night, the leagues were 43-43 with two ties.  So you would think wow, parity, right?

Mmmm, not so much.  The AL is something like 18-3-1 in the last 22 games.

You know what this means?  DH forever!

• Love 1

Do they need him long-term ? I think Corey Seager is out for the season  but should be back. I was initially a little disappointed the Phillies didnt get him but 5 prospects is a lot for what could be a 2 month rental. 

8 hours ago, mojoween said:

DH forever!

The DH is an abomination and needs to be taken behind the barn and shot, along with inter-league play, the automatic intentional walk, and the pitch clock.

• Love 10
(edited)
11 minutes ago, Moose135 said:

The DH is an abomination and needs to be taken behind the barn and shot, along with inter-league play, the automatic intentional walk, and the pitch clock.

Word to all of it besides the interleague play which I don't mind.

Edited by catrox14
  • Love 2