Type keyword(s) to search

MLB Thread

smittykins
  • Start Topic

For @mojoween and anybody else paying attention to the Mets harder than me . . . when did Jacob deGrom get his hair cut?

ETA: Bryce Harper just went yard on deGrom, breaking his bat in the process. Perhaps I should change the channel now.

Edited by Lantern7
41 minutes ago, Lantern7 said:

For @mojoween and anybody else paying attention to the Mets harder than me . . . when did Jacob deGrom get his hair cut?

Last October, day after the end of the regular season.  He said the short hair will speed up his delivery and add 2mph to his fastball.  I've only listened to games on Sirius so far, so I have only seen a few photos from when he got it cut.

• Love 1

Mets Fan: It's a miserable cold night, but it's worth it to see deGrom put on a show! And now the bullpen is going to close it out!

[Six eighth-inning runs from the Nationals later]

Mets Fan: Wow. I had totally forgotten what disgust and hopelessness felt like. Can't somebody pin PEDs onto Familia?

Edited by Lantern7
13 hours ago, Moose135 said:

He said the short hair will speed up his delivery and add 2mph to his fastball. 

This? Is the kind of arrant nonsense that makes baseball The Best.

• Love 5

YES showed a video clip of Al Leiter throwing a no-hitter with the Marlins and I had no idea that he was quite the hottie back in the day.

Also yesterday when Meredith was talking to the booth and she said “Al” I was thinking that Al Kaline was Michael’s partner for some reason.

• Love 1
On 4/10/2018 at 7:01 AM, cleo said:

I am also pleasantly surprised the Blue Jays are 7-4. 

Are there any Padres fans here? Solarte is great. 

The shock of my life.

And yes, I'm now in love with Solarte.  He won me over in like 1 game.

I also tweeted about loving Aledmys Diaz and my Cardinals-loving friend was very surprised by it.  The guy keeps hitting home runs!

On 4/16/2018 at 6:00 PM, cleo said:

More postponements, kinda crazy. There was an ice storm in Toronto, followed by rain and 100km hour winds the last 30 hours. Somehow ice falling from the CN Tower punched a hole through the dome ceiling. 

Crazy! Well, they were looking to renovate the dome anyway...

We brag about the Dome being able to protect us from any weather and the Jays can play all season long through rainstorms and snowstorms and then the falling ice from the CN Tower finally stopped that.  The falling ice destroyed at least 1 car and several office building windows - now we are not allowed to walk there except for games, I guess.

Jose Bautista, the love of my (and I assume, many Canadians') life has signed with the Braves for 1 year and 1 million dollars, minor league deal.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 1
45 minutes ago, mojoween said:

’m not Canadian but I love Joey Bats too.  He follows me on Twitter!

Also I will defend his bat flip to the death.

2 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Jose Bautista, the love of my (and I assume, many Canadians') life has signed with the Braves for 1 year and 1 million dollars, minor league deal.

That's awesome he follows you on Twitter mojoween. I'm glad he got a deal, but it's kind of hard to see players you rooted for for years just peter out and fade away. I feel like I'm seeing that happen with Donaldson. I don't know, I guess I just need more of a goodbye when players leave. It feels like Bautista left without a proper goodbye. 

On that note, I was sorry to miss Goins taking the field yesterday. He was one of my favourite players. I have a soft spot for utility players overall. Also, I'm not sure what Ngoepe offers that Goins doesn't. I'm assuming it was a financial decision to let Goins go. 

2 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

And yes, I'm now in love with Solarte.  He won me over in like 1 game.

I also tweeted about loving Aledmys Diaz and my Cardinals-loving fan was very surprised by it.  The guy keeps hitting home runs!

Yeah I love Solarte. I haven't seen much of Diaz just by luck of the games I watched, but he seems good. I really like this team overall- Solarte, Smoak, Diaz, Hernandez, Granderson, Grichuk,  I feel like they can have a lot of fun together. As well as Pearce and Donaldson.

mojoween I was counting on the Yankees beating the Red Sox....please convey this to them on my behalf :) 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, mojoween said:

I’m not Canadian but I love Joey Bats too.  He follows me on Twitter!

He follows me as well . Im not really sure why because I don't think I've ever posted about him but he follows me. 

I love a good bat flip. Obdubel Herrera has some good bat flips.

Edited by shoregirl
  • Love 2
42 minutes ago, cleo said:

That's awesome he follows you on Twitter mojoween.

Haha!  Bautista follows 1 million people on Twitter, including myself.  It's a running joke among Jays fans that he follows all of us.

43 minutes ago, cleo said:

On that note, I was sorry to miss Goins taking the field yesterday. He was one of my favourite players. I have a soft spot for utility players overall. Also, I'm not sure what Ngoepe offers that Goins doesn't. I'm assuming it was a financial decision to let Goins go. 

I was always a Goins fan too.  I feel really bad for Ngoepe, he's having such a rough go so far.

• Love 1

Are Yankees fans still booing Giancarlo? It’s only April. It’s not like he’s struck out fifty times, both his arms fell off, and Derek Jeter is seen absconding with the Yankees’ millions, which is all he ever wanted.

• Love 2

I don't feel sorry for Giancarlo , cuz he's like the hottest guy on the planet and all - LOL - but Yankees fans.  Are hilarious.  I can't say shit because then people will bring up Jays fans.  And I don't want to go there.  LOL

13 hours ago, mojoween said:

I love to hear a non-Jays fan defend this.  That makes me so happy!  The Orioles manager (or someone?) made a lot of rude comments about how they don't want Bautista, the fans don't like him, blah blah so I guess I always assume he's hated anywhere but Canada, so I'm really happy to hear that's not necessarily the case.

The man can do no wrong in my eyes.  October 14, 2015 (Batflip day) is still the happiest/best day of my life, as sad as that is!  It's between that and the day that I graduated from university!  I think Jose still takes the cake.  

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
14 hours ago, mojoween said:

I can already hear Chip and Joe sputtering in indignation after a bat flip.

• Love 1
14 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

Are Yankees fans still booing Giancarlo? It’s only April.

Fooey. He's getting paid bashmillions but batting on the interstate.  We'll love him when he earns it. (I confess: this is one of my favorite things of Yankee fandom. You don't get a pass for a pretty face and a fat contract. Smash or get booed, my dudes.)

• Love 5

You can't force a trade to a big market and then complain about that market acting like a big market.

I like Stanton and as far as I know HE hasn't said boo about the treatment.  I hope every handler he has is counseling him to stay the course and continue to keep his mouth shut about it, otherwise........

• Love 4

The fans are super excited about Lourdes; he's a baseball legacy.

The fans are so mean, "Can we return this Gift"?  and such, LOL.  And "Praise the Lourdes"  LOL.  Not so "Amayzaing".  Oh god somebody take my keyboard

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

he fans are so mean, "Can we return this Gift"? 

I do feel bad for him. As the first player from Africa, it would be cool if he could get some success. Maybe it's just time. 

I remember someone posting a pic of Yuli's hair one day like this last year. Lourdes took his helmet off this spring, and it was exactly the same.

image.thumb.png.dcccb135cc8265aa4586d5fe27d24c78.png

So I was up at 5 am today, spent 4 hrs on a train for a work thing, and now have to pry my eyeballs open and choose between Raptors and Blue Jays today. I was totally going to watch the Raptors, but now if Gurriel is playing I might have to see it.  

Edited by cleo
1 hour ago, cleo said:

I remember someone posting a pic of Yuli's hair one day like this last year. Lourdes took his helmet off this spring, and it was exactly the same.

image.thumb.png.dcccb135cc8265aa4586d5fe27d24c78.png

I saw that and took a picture of my screen so I could show my mother Lourdes and Yuli’s similar haircuts. 

334D52DD-7214-4C76-B396-4F7AEDE5249C.thumb.jpeg.7591266c4dd488628ae7864211edaa58.jpeg

• Love 2

The Farquhar situation is horrifying. I was watching the game when they cut to the dugout. Scary stuff. What's odd is after looking up articles about it online shortly after it happened, I suddenly started getting ads for diabetes medications. So I thought to myself...oh maybe some internet algorithm has figured out that this might've been a diabetic complication. Not that that wouldn't be a serious situation anyway, but less alarming than ruptured brain aneurysm.

• Love 1

Miguel Andujar (who is very very cute, BTW) hitting a home run in the middle of Meredith Marokovits telling a story about how awesome he is was a much better game interruption than when the Orioles completely ruined Derek Jeter’s final roll call.

Edited by mojoween
  • Love 2

As if I didn't have enough reasons to despise Facebook.

I find out that today's game is yet another Facebook only deal.  This is ridiculous.  The Phils have already had 2 of these FB games in April and apparently another pending on May 10th?! 

Thursday’s game also won’t be the last Facebook exclusive game for the Phillies this season. On Thursday, May 10, the Phillies afternoon matchup with the San Francisco Giants at 1:05 p.m. will also air exclusively on Facebook. New Phillies pitcher Jake Arietta is currently slated to start in that game, which should draw more eyeballs to Facebook’s broadcast.

MLB and Facebook haven’t revealed the entire schedule yet, because it’s largely dependent on the number of national broadcast windows remaining for each team. Here’s the full upcoming schedule for MLB’s Facebook games that have been released so far (all times are Eastern Standard Time):

– Thursday, April 26 – Diamondbacks vs. Phillies, 1:05 p.m.
– Thursday, May 3 – Dodgers vs. D-backs, 3:40 p.m.
– Thursday, May 10 – Giants vs. Phillies, 1:05 p.m.
– Wednesday, May 16 – Rangers vs. Mariners, 3:40 p.m.
– Thursday, May 24 – Angels v.s Blue Jays, 12:37 p.m.
– Wednesday, May 30 – Cardinals vs. Brewers, 1:10 p.m.
– Wednesday, June 6 – Diamondbacks vs. Giants, 3:45 p.m.
– Wednesday, June 13 – Angels vs. Mariners, 4:10 p.m.
– Wednesday, June 20 – Braves vs. Blue Jays, 12:37 p.m.
– Wednesday, June 27 – Royals vs. Brewers, 2:10 p.m.

• Love 1

It's especially ridiculous given some people are paying for MLB TV to air every game. The Blue Jays twitter feed was full of complaints when their first FB game aired. I think it's better to complain directly to MLB, they have a link on their site. Frankly they should be giving me a prorated discount for those games. I don't use FB nor do I care to start.

What is the benefit to MLB of airing them on FB? I don't get it.

ETA: here is the link to MLB TV's feedback/comments. http://www.mlb.com/mlbtv/help-center/contact-us.jsp

Edited by cleo
  • Love 1

So the ESPN promo for the Sunday game consists of the announcer yelling "Stanton" and "Judge" with shots of them hitting bombs.

They are playing the Angels. I guess Mike Trout (who has more MVPs than all of the Yankees combined) and Ohtani, who is the most intriguing rookie in ages weren't worth mentioning.

I understand the East Coast bias, but that is wrong.

• Love 8
2 hours ago, xaxat said:

So the ESPN promo for the Sunday game consists of the announcer yelling "Stanton" and "Judge" with shots of them hitting bombs.

They are playing the Angels. I guess Mike Trout (who has more MVPs than all of the Yankees combined) and Ohtani, who is the most intriguing rookie in ages weren't worth mentioning.

I understand the East Coast bias, but that is wrong.

One of them must have the most Home Runs this season oh wait that's Mike Trout. Stanton and Judge aren't even leading the Yankees in home runs. 

• Love 4

The ESPN Radio ads all mention Trout first.

I’m just glad the game is on at 8 Sunday so I don’t have to stay up until 1 a.m.

Also, happy 26th birthday Aaron Judge!  So sad he didn’t homer on his bday again but El Kraken was released and that is a good second choice.

• Love 2

I don't even bother with the 10 pm games--this Auld Phart can't stay up that late no more. 

I had to sign the lease on my new apartment around the time today's game started, but I followed the score with the At Bat app.  I got home just as the ninth inning began, and I figured the Twins would pull it out so I didn't even turn the TV on. Imagine my surprise when I saw "Gary Sanchez hits a 3-run walk-off homer in the bottom of the 9th."

• Love 3

Minute Maid Park had a beer tasting tonight. You got four tastes of beer and I ended up having six because they kept forgetting to mark my card, plus one whole beer. Then a beer crawl across the whole ballpark where you had to collect four tokens:

F1AFE5B9-C2AA-4C7E-BEE5-94CAFBD46988.thumb.jpeg.5a57974a6afcee74b3175f8b34c45269.jpeg

then when you got all those, you got a bottle opener:

766455D0-2277-41DA-8F92-E85B36A8EBF9.thumb.jpeg.af6aab7fca148c1c309e3a1b67b949b6.jpeg

which ended up being a fun night, despite the Astros losing…

• Love 5

Aww I love swag!  That’s really cool.

I just could not stay awake so I am just finding out the result of last night’s game...Sir Didi Gregious!  Aaron might need to move Giancarlo again because Didi is going to start getting waved to first on the regular.

• Love 1

LOL, it was a funny way to end a craptastic game! Loved the smiles/expressions in both dugouts. Really livened up the 9th inning and he pitched better than our pitching staff. He recorded a perfect 1-2-3 ninth inning. Apparently he's the first position player to pitch for the Giants since Greg Litton against the Astros in 1991. Maybe we'll use him again for tonight's game 2 of the doubleheader!

• Love 2

"Four years ago, when he left town for the Red Sox, Sandoval looked like he would forever be an enemy at AT&T Park, despite his years of glory here. He returned last season humbled, and he has worked hard to rebuild the trust that was lost by a bridge-burning exit. The bottom of the ninth was the final step. Sandoval received a raucous standing ovation from those remaining when he took his last at-bat of the day. A few minutes later, he strapped an ice pack to his elbow as any dominant relief pitcher would. He said he loved the moment, but he’s not sure if he wants to do it again.

After all, he walked off the mound with a 0.00 ERA as a big league pitcher.

“Pretty good,” he said, laughing."

http://www.nbcsports.com/bayarea/giants/pitching-panda-pablo-sandovals-journey-wild-little-leaguer-mowing-down-dodgers