Type keyword(s) to search

MLB Thread

smittykins
  • Start Topic

Still waiting for the inevitable moment when Mets fans storm the field and start beating players up. I get ready to go out, I remember their game started after noon. I turn on SNY . . . first inning, Rangers up 3-0, and they had the bases loaded. In other news, here are the Mets' "Players Weekend" jerseys.  Of course, I'm surprised nobody is putting "GET ME THE FUCK OUT OF HERE!" on their jersey.

In other news, Bartolo went seven scoreless for the win. Also, he's putting "MORALES" on the back of his jersey. Does anybody here know why? I mean, I would've thought he'd go with "BIG SEXY."

ETA: Jay Bruce is going back to Ohio, albeit it in a strange uniform. And the "BRRRRRUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCCE!!!!!" chants were coming in on a regular basis in Flushing.

• Love 1

So no HeHateMe yet?

The Pirates have a J Hay, a JB, a J Mo and an Easy J. 

And, because they are playing at the Little League World Series, they get commemorative extra ugly socks!

ff_2864934_full.jpg&w=600

• Love 1
9 hours ago, twoods said:

Kyle Seager  has a great sense of humor going with "Corey's brother" on his uniform. 

Thanks!  I will have to go look for that.  I love Kyle, have his replica jersey (along with one for Hernandez, of course).  

8 hours ago, xaxat said:

And, because they are playing at the Little League World Series, they get commemorative extra ugly socks!

Commemorative ugly socks aside I love that there will be a game at Williamsport and it's pretty much for the kids at the LLWS, and that the big league guys will make an appearance at the LLWS games.

• Love 1

Deadspin's list of their favorite jersey nicknames.

Sir Didi makes me laugh. Because it's not a nickname, it's a real life title. I also like Davehuman (David Freese).

David Freese decided on “Davehuman” because, well, Freese already is a nice nickname. A few years ago, Freese bought a boxer and named the pup Bob. His buddy, also named Bob, would watch Bob the dog while Freese was away. Then, Bob the human got a dog and named it Dave. When the four are together, one must be species-specific about Bobs and Daves.

• Love 10

In other news, the Mets traveled south to Philadelphia and pounded on the Phillies. Of course, something bad happened . . . Jacob deGrom caught a line drive in the arm. I'm thinking that Terry did not want to take any chances. Also, that was his hundredth pitch. Great timing!

It reassures me that some things in 2017 haven't changed: the NY tabloids are quite unified in their breathless pearl clutching over the Yankees "abandoning pinstripes for the first time in 108 years!!111!!ONE"  Dudes: it's just some lighthearted laundry. This is a thing we can all live through.

Lenny Dykstra can be tased with a cattle prod right about now, to the benefit of everyone.

• Love 6
53 minutes ago, attica said:

Lenny Dykstra can be tased with a cattle prod right about now, to the benefit of everyone.

I met a lovely couple named Dykstra when I was in the Netherlands in June.  For their sake I hope they're not related to that idiot.  (and, yes, I realize Dykstra is a somewhat common Dutch name)

• Love 1

Omg, you guys! I just walked past A-Rod on the street. We made eye contact. He was all by himself (no J-Lo, heh), yapping on the phone.  All dressed up in expensive suit and tie.  He is very large. Other pedestrians swivel-headed, but nobody yelled at him or grabbed him. NYers leave the rich and famous alone!

• Love 8
4 hours ago, attica said:

Omg, you guys! I just walked past A-Rod on the street. We made eye contact. He was all by himself (no J-Lo, heh), yapping on the phone.  All dressed up in expensive suit and tie.  He is very large. Other pedestrians swivel-headed, but nobody yelled at him or grabbed him. NYers leave the rich and famous alone!

I would have fainted no lie.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, attica said:

I did see one using the great Key & Peele joke "A-A-RON", which warms my heart.

I dont know if anyone else is doing it but i know Phillies outfielder Aaron Alther is. He is on the disabled list though so i hope he can come back in time. If i didnt already love him this would have cemented it

Edited by shoregirl

It makes me sad to see Stanton HR highlights because the ballpark is empty. He is doing something amazing and the hometown fans just don't care. I wonder how he feels about that.

• Love 3

Ugh.  The giants and Hunter Pence tweeted about Pablo Sandoval coming back "where he belongs".  I replied to them, "Nope, he shit on the club when he left, he should have been left to twist in the wind."  At least some people liked my tweet.

• Love 1

Sandoval is stealing that money from Boston. They had to babysit him, SF before that, and now he's supposed to be hailed as something special because he went back to SF. Bullshit!

• Love 4

Lady Gaga to play Citi Field at the end of August. And now I gotta worry about her health, because anybody remotely associated with the Mets seems to suffer.

15 hours ago, twoods said:

It makes me sad to see Stanton HR highlights because the ballpark is empty. He is doing something amazing and the hometown fans just don't care. I wonder how he feels about that.

I think the fans do come out to root for Stanton. The problem is that there are probably very few Marlins fans in Miami. When the city cares about sports, they do that for the Dolphins and Heat. At least that's the impression that I get.

• Love 2

When Loria isn't the owner of the Marlins I think some fans will return. They'll get behind Jeter and his group. Miami might never have rabid fans like the Cubs but they will care more. 

• Love 4

David Cone says during the broadcast that if things stay where they are (Yanks up 4-2) DeGrom will have the dreaded eight inning complete game.  It took me a good five minutes to puzzle out how exactly you could pitch a complete game if you only go eight innings.  Sometimes my elevator just needs a little extra oil to get to the top.

Michael Kay pointed out Paul Simon and Edie Brickell in the stands and told a cute story that Mickey Mantle was Paul's favorite Yankee and somehow the Mick found this out and asked why he wasn't in "Mrs. Robinson".  Turns out, it was a simple matter of syllable count.  Joe DiMaggio was perfect.

• Love 5

It was mentioned that the Dodgers are 50 games over .500 and they are the first team to do it since St. Louis did it in 2004.  It pisses me off so damn much that I a.  know off the top of my head that St. Louis lost the WS that year and b. fuck the Red Sox.

Edited by mojoween
  • Love 1
17 hours ago, rcc said:

Sandoval is stealing that money from Boston. They had to babysit him, SF before that, and now he's supposed to be hailed as something special because he went back to SF. Bullshit!

How is he stealing money that the Red Sox decided to give him? Do you think that any player who doesn't live up to a contract is stealing or just this one? 

• Love 1
14 minutes ago, smittykins said:

You know you're getting old when several players wear #2 because they idolized Jeter growing up.

A couple of years ago, I was watching the pre-game lineup, saw the name Delino DeShields and I thought "Holy shit! He's still in the league?"

Of course, it was junior. And I felt old.

• Love 5
6 hours ago, rippleintime17 said:

How is he stealing money that the Red Sox decided to give him? Do you think that any player who doesn't live up to a contract is stealing or just this one? 

All of them but in this case I detest him more for not staying in shape and obviously wanted to slide by with that guaranteed contract.

15 minutes ago, rcc said:

All of them but in this case I detest him more for not staying in shape and obviously wanted to slide by with that guaranteed contract.

"staying" in shape implies that he was ever in shape to begin with.

• Love 5
6 hours ago, Silver Raven said:

"staying" in shape implies that he was ever in shape to begin with.

Is this where someone pops in and says "round is a shape"?

No?  Okay, I'll show myself out.

• Love 16

First off I wish Aaron Judge had laid off that terrible pitch in the ninth inning last night because he wouldn't have had a strike out and then they would stop talking about that terrible record and second so what if he struck out last night?  He hit a one thousand foot home run and the Yankees won the game.  Leave the kid alone, media.  You're not helping by making him feel bad.

• Love 2